Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851545 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4550 on: March 16, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
Charity pickup is today!  $621 worth of donations submitted.  I feel so good about sending things to a better home where they will be needed.  I didn't include any shoes in my items as they are going to a work shoe drive for immigrant children who are moving to Chicago.  I now feel better about my snow boots donations - knowing they are actually going to an immigrant child that needs them in this area.  Somehow I feel better about that than Goodwill (I'm not sure why that is though).

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4551 on: March 17, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »
I donated some canned and jarred food to the local food bank. It's good stuff that I would have eaten eventually, probably, but it's in a better place now.

I gave away a journal to a student and have been writing thank you cards liberally (I have so many!).

I attacked the ever-growing pile of mail. I swear that is the biggest hurdle for me as far as keeping my living room uncluttered goes.

I'm doing another closet purge this weekend. I thought I'd gotten rid of everything I could, but I think I've actually got a bag or two worth of clothes I don't love wearing.

I'm giving up on reading my old journals before shredding them. They're too depressing, and that doesn't make up for the cool parts where I see the name of someone I'd forgotten or am reminded of a fun memory with a relative who has since passed. Plus, there are simply SO MANY. I'm done. They served their purpose when I wrote them: I improved my writing skills and sorted out my thoughts. For journals going forward, I think I'll make a five-year expiration date.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4552 on: March 17, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Sold a Bumbo chair and tray that was given to me as a hand me down for $20. We decided we won't be using one, so it is out of the house, and that $20 goes into the college fund.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4553 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
I finally convinced my wife to let me clear out a cabinet in our dining room so we can store our bird seed in it. We were just leaving the bird seed on the living room floor, but we were getting sunflower seeds and peanuts all over the place. It also meant we had to move the bird seed containers whenever we needed to vacuum in there. Now that they are in the cabinet, we shouldn't have to move them when we clean. Also, she will be scooping them out in the dining room which has gray tiles. The rogue peanuts and sunflower seeds will be easier to find and pick up.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4554 on: March 18, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
I'm still decluttering. I'm working on my kitchen and my study at the same time. I've been avoiding the study for so long. I still have boxes stored in there untouched from when I moved in 7 years ago. I'm excavating paper.  Yesterday I found and shredded some stuff that went back to 1985. Doh! I've made a goal to go paperless.....should manage that in another 7 years.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4555 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Rearranged toys and books to empty a shelf so plush toys can go in there and make the corner they are in much more usable for my kid. I'm thinking to move a coffee table there so she can spread her toys on it when needed. The books are now in a easy to access basket so my kid doesn't have to get the whole shelf out to find her favorites. Also moved a book to donate pile and put away clothing from a trip. Now to attack clothing from laundry once it's done.

I also finished three books this week and returned them to the library. I have three more to go along with a bunch of magazines.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4556 on: March 20, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
We had a really productive weekend in the getting rid of stuff/clutter category. I am looking for something that I can't find in the house, and it always spurs me on to downsize the stuff when that happens. I went through multiple drawers/cupboards and, although I still didn't find what I was looking for, I got rid of a TON of old stuff that didn't need to be taking up space, lots of miscellaneous bits of junk I used to save because that's what my mom did and I didn't know any better: old cards, brochures from places I visited, movie ticket stubs, stupid crap like that. Then I cleaned out a box in the garage (more of the same but stuff my mom saved and then gave me as "your stuff"...still have 4 or 5 of those boxes left that I dread) and 1.5 file folder boxes full of old college work.

We also took a stab at the playroom, and managed to remove 64 children's books and some miscellaneous toys to donate. We gave our neighbor all the duplos (kids are onto "real" legos now), nice ski pants, a raincoat, and hiking boots that my youngest has outgrown. My oldest has two bags of clothes to donate that aren't worth saving for his younger brother. I pulled out a pair of pants that I don't like and never wear and 3 shirts.

I'm disappointed to be back at work today instead of de-cluttering some more, but my recycling can is full anyway and doesn't get picked up until Thursday. Ideally I want to touch everything and know everything we have (and where it is). It is a daunting goal.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4557 on: March 20, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
I'm disappointed to be back at work today instead of de-cluttering some more, but my recycling can is full anyway and doesn't get picked up until Thursday. Ideally I want to touch everything and know everything we have (and where it is). It is a daunting goal.

I know that feel when you fill up your recycling bin. I've done that twice since I started decluttering in earnest this year. It's filled up mostly from breaking down packaging for old appliances and things we no longer have.

Keep up the good work. It'll give you something to look forward to over the weekend :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4558 on: March 20, 2017, 03:54:01 PM »
We had a really productive weekend in the getting rid of stuff/clutter category. I am looking for something that I can't find in the house, and it always spurs me on to downsize the stuff when that happens. I went through multiple drawers/cupboards and, although I still didn't find what I was looking for, I got rid of a TON of old stuff that didn't need to be taking up space, lots of miscellaneous bits of junk I used to save because that's what my mom did and I didn't know any better: old cards, brochures from places I visited, movie ticket stubs, stupid crap like that. Then I cleaned out a box in the garage (more of the same but stuff my mom saved and then gave me as "your stuff"...still have 4 or 5 of those boxes left that I dread) and 1.5 file folder boxes full of old college work.

We also took a stab at the playroom, and managed to remove 64 children's books and some miscellaneous toys to donate. We gave our neighbor all the duplos (kids are onto "real" legos now), nice ski pants, a raincoat, and hiking boots that my youngest has outgrown. My oldest has two bags of clothes to donate that aren't worth saving for his younger brother. I pulled out a pair of pants that I don't like and never wear and 3 shirts.

That is an enormous effort. Well done!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4559 on: March 20, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
A bout of decluttering inspiration struck while I was getting ready for work this morning (as it does most days. I like my job but get bored with the morning routine).

I grabbed a stack of loyalty cards from a drawer, checked they were all in my Stocard app, then tossed them plus the little card wallet they'd been stored in. Fourteen things gone in five minutes.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4560 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:12 AM »
I think I'll attack the junk drawers this weekend. Most, if not all, of the stuff we actually use (I already got rid of stuff from them), but I'm thinking of organizing them logically with little dividers.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4561 on: March 21, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Last week I finally took the two dozen mason jars I had collected to a friend who cans.  She was delighted.

I took a bag of clothing to goodwill as well and read another book just to get it off my shelf.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4562 on: March 22, 2017, 09:07:03 AM »
I'm buying a house!!!!!! (first house, really excited, I'm annoying to be around right now.) Which means I'll be moving soon.

Have been accumulating a pile of stuff to get rid of for a while, so will be adding to it as I start packing and eventually take it all to goodwill. Move sometime in May, so I have time, and nowhere near as much crap as my roommate who's in the same boat.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4563 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
I'm buying a house!!!!!! (first house, really excited, I'm annoying to be around right now.) Which means I'll be moving soon.
Congratulations!!!

All of my big clear outs have centered around a move.  I purged as I packed and unpacked.  :D

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4564 on: March 23, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
I would have shredded seven more journals, but the shredder overheated at four and a half. I'll have to finish those in the morning.

After that, all I have left journal-wise is a few pages I ripped out that I'll scan and journals from the past five years. I'm going to institute a one-filled, one-shredded policy from here on out.

It feels really good to be almost rid of them -- they've been quite a weight.

I've also moved some new-condition stuffed animals (prizes from carnival games) to the donate pile, freeing up most of another closet shelf.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4565 on: March 23, 2017, 08:20:31 PM »
Threw out the volumising attachment for my hairdryer this morning.

I didn't own a hairdryer till I was 26. Four years later I've never used this attachment, and only use the hairdryer when it's an emergency.

I think I'll be ok without it.

My goal is to get all toiletries down to one bathroom drawer (we only have one) and one small tub of spares. Getting there slowly.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4566 on: March 24, 2017, 06:10:34 AM »
I would have shredded seven more journals, but the shredder overheated at four and a half. I'll have to finish those in the morning.

After that, all I have left journal-wise is a few pages I ripped out that I'll scan and journals from the past five years. I'm going to institute a one-filled, one-shredded policy from here on out.

It feels really good to be almost rid of them -- they've been quite a weight.

I've also moved some new-condition stuffed animals (prizes from carnival games) to the donate pile, freeing up most of another closet shelf.

I've been contemplating throwing out old journals. I mean, I never read them. When I have glanced at them they caused nothing but embarrassment. But I don't know. For some reason I feel I should keep them. Like I'm letting go of my former self or youth or something? I dunno.

I do know that whenever I consider my own mortality, I cringe at the thought of someone reading them. Maybe that is reason enough to get rid, I mean, I'm definitely going to die.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4567 on: March 24, 2017, 06:19:41 AM »
I had the same feelings. I read some, liked seeing the names of old friends and family members that are no longer living, hated reading about my deep depression and unhealthy relationships, got slightly sucked in to said depression, and stopped reading. The journals served their purpose when I wrote them. Keeping them has been a burden (sometimes literal when moving as they took up boxes of space), and as each one goes, I feel better.

Except for some furniture I need to unload, my decluttering is now at the hardest stage: mementos and emotionally charged things. It's slow-going, but I'm making constant progress. More importantly, I've managed to not add to that group of objects. I don't need to remember everything. Forgetting some good memories is well worth it if it also means forgetting/letting go of the bad.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4568 on: March 24, 2017, 07:14:59 AM »
Got rid of a few more baby hand me downs I don't plan on using at all.  I love the buy nothing group!

Funny story though: My mother came over and opened our (well organized, but totally full) container cabinent in the kitchen.  She sighed and said "I've been helping your sister clean out- we need to get rid of half of these! You have way too much!" 

Except, last week, the cabinet was completely empty because every single one of them was full with food in the fridge!  We cook every single meal from scratch, plan to have leftovers so that we can bring lunches to work and have a few dinners each week we don't have to prepare, and save ingredients in containers when we don't need them all for a recipe.  Just because SHE doesn't need fridge containers doesn't mean we don't!

However, I did ask her to sneak out some of the coffee mugs while DH wasn't looking!  No one needs 20 coffee mugs!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4569 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
I got rid of a huge ugly dresser that we didn't want to move! We were just going to "donate" it to the alley, but I decided to email everyone else in my building to see whether anyone wanted it. Turns out our across-the-hall neighbor likes to refinish furniture! We pushed that heavy sucker out of my apartment and into hers, and she paid me in beer from the microbrewery she works at. Score!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4570 on: March 24, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »
I have old cringe-worthy journals too. I did get rid of one last weekend. I like the consideration that the writing of it served its purpose and I can let them go now.

Getting ready to leave the work week behind me and see how much more stuff I can clear out this weekend! We have company the entire weekend so it probably won't be as productive as last weekend, unfortunately.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4571 on: March 25, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »
Won a fridge in a chook raffle a few weeks ago. Handed it off to a cousin who needed it today.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4572 on: March 25, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
I sold a bunch of stuff this week. I finally got rid of some bicycle wheels that were sitting in the basement. I sold a tea set that we were given as a wedding gift and never used. I also sold a bunch of old Legos from my childhood. The Legos are trickling out of my inventory, but they are still starting to disappear.

At this point in my decluttering process, I think I've picked all of the low hanging fruit. I would like to clean out my garage too, I'm just waiting for the weather to improve. I also need to figure out how to throw away a garbage can. The previous home owners left like 10 garbage can marked yard waste. I'll see if any of my neighbors are interested. I use the side discharge on my mower and just break down and compost any twigs or branches that fall of the trees in my yard.

We're expecting some additional shelving to be delivered on Monday. The shelves are called BrickBox and they essentially let you build a bookcase or shelves for storage as small or as large as you need it to be. When we get that, we can get rid of some more of our less functional "early poverty" furniture. My wife has a leopard gecko that lives in a tank that straddles two crappy end tables her parents gave her when she moved out. Other than holding up the tank, they aren't good for much else. The new shelves will look better and give us space to store things we actually do want to keep.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4573 on: March 25, 2017, 03:37:04 AM »
I have old cringe-worthy journals too. I did get rid of one last weekend. I like the consideration that the writing of it served its purpose and I can let them go now.

I needed this. I have about a dozen journals in my bedroom at my parents' place that I've been reluctant to part with. Lord knows I never read them, couldn't bear it, but still felt reluctant to part with them. But now it's time for them to go.

Got rid of two old side tables with baskets this evening. Took a mallet to them until they fit in the bin. The two lamps that were on them will go to my parents. The blender and food processor is going tomorrow, I'm passing it on to another Mustachian (hi, marty998).

A couple of weeks ago (?) I printed up a numbered grid to keep a tally of decluttered items. I'm at 154, with yet more on the to-declutter list.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4574 on: March 25, 2017, 03:38:55 AM »
Won a fridge in a chook raffle a few weeks ago. Handed it off to a cousin who needed it today.

Hey, you're here!

I've decluttered a lot but even I haven't decluttered a fridge!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4575 on: March 25, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
Now I need to declutter a blender :/

What are you doing to me? :D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4576 on: March 25, 2017, 03:50:35 AM »
Now I need to declutter a blender :/

What are you doing to me? :D

You wanted smoothies, dammit!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4577 on: March 25, 2017, 03:56:21 AM »
I do... but you haven't told me how big this appliance is!

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4578 on: March 25, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
BIL is on his way to pick up the dining room table and 6 chairs. I will also send one of my 4 pairs of binoculars and a birding book to my sister. The dining table is the last major obstacle to the demolition/light renovation project in the home gym.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4579 on: March 25, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
I finished shredding the journals. I feel wonderful. :)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4580 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
Ha, I recently shredded a cringeworthy journal too!

I think the rest of my (high-school-era) journals are probably still in my mother's house somewhere. Yikes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4581 on: March 26, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
Article from the Australian Financial Review:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/home-design/interior-design/love-decluttering-and-minimalism-youre-probably-rich-and-showing-off-20170326-gv73n0

while we're talking about Marie Kondo, if you follow her motto, throwing out anything that doesn't "spark joy", it means you have the privilege of disposing of excess stuff, safe in the knowledge that there's plenty more where that came from.

As Reductress, the parody women's website, pointed out last month, the advantages of decluttering your life include, "no longer [being] bogged down with all that stuff you don't need … that you can immediately order again on Amazon. Thankfully, you make enough money that owning things feels like a burden!"

Interesting theory but this misses the mark for me.

dreaming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4582 on: March 26, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
I got rid of some kid art supplies and an American girl type doll and clothes.   A friend does loaves and fishes at a church and said they also do craft projects.  Figured they could use the sticky foam pieces.  They also put donated items on a table for people to take.  Some little girl should like the doll.

When I was taking the stuff out of my storage closet, I saw an ice bucket we got as a wedding present... 12 yrs ago.  Never used, time to go!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4583 on: March 27, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
Article from the Australian Financial Review:

http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/home-design/interior-design/love-decluttering-and-minimalism-youre-probably-rich-and-showing-off-20170326-gv73n0

while we're talking about Marie Kondo, if you follow her motto, throwing out anything that doesn't "spark joy", it means you have the privilege of disposing of excess stuff, safe in the knowledge that there's plenty more where that came from.

As Reductress, the parody women's website, pointed out last month, the advantages of decluttering your life include, "no longer [being] bogged down with all that stuff you don't need … that you can immediately order again on Amazon. Thankfully, you make enough money that owning things feels like a burden!"

Interesting theory but this misses the mark for me.

It's interesting, but it misses the mark for me too. I can think of numerous times where we went out and spent money on something we didn't need to buy because we had so much stuff and didn't realize that we had what we thought we needed to go buy, lost amidst all the other stuff (fancy lightbulbs for the ceiling fan light in the living room...still irritated by that one!). For me, my objective in decluttering is to get rid of all the distraction and chaos. I don't have a problem with keeping something I may use "someday" as long as I know what it is and where it is.

As for me, I had a great weekend on this front! I cleaned out the cabinet under the kitchen sink (we need to buy new sponges but I wanted to be sure we didn't have any spares lurking in there still like last time). I emptied three boxes that have been in the garage since we moved in 4+ years ago. A fourth box is being donated in its entirely. I bagged up a giant bag of clothes we don't wear. I recycled an entire box of college notebooks...if I haven't looked at them in 17 years then I really don't need them anymore! And, the thing that really spurred me on two weeks ago, I finally found the passport holder I was looking for, in time for our upcoming trip in two weeks. I even pound a ten pound note in it, so that will go towards food during our 7 hour layover at Heathrow. Oh! I also found a stack of college textbooks, and we looked online to see if they were worth anything. Most of them weren't, but we had two copies of the same book (husband and I both got the same degree from the same school, two years apart, years before meeting each other), and it is worth $65, so $130 between the two of them.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #4584 on: March 27, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
For those dealing with journals, here's something to think about. I've just gone through this and what it came down to for me was, "Would I want anyone to read this after I'm dead?" I'm at the age now where, while I don't think I'm going to die tomorrow, stuff happens and I like to be prepared. Looking back at my journals, I knew that if I died and someone read them (and they most assuredly would as they purged my things) I would be mortified.

There were things in there that, while helpful to me for processing emotions, etc., would be hurtful for some of my loved ones to read. They wouldn't understand. And there are things in there I wouldn't want others to know about my personal struggles, etc. I didn't disclose a variety of things for a reason (mostly to keep people form worrying about me) and I don't want others to read it later and go, "I wish she'd told us," or, "She didn't trust/love us enough to tell us these things."

It was easy, looking at it that way, to destroy them all.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4585 on: March 27, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »
For those dealing with journals, here's something to think about. I've just gone through this and what it came down to for me was, "Would I want anyone to read this after I'm dead?" I'm at the age now where, while I don't think I'm going to die tomorrow, stuff happens and I like to be prepared. Looking back at my journals, I knew that if I died and someone read them (and they most assuredly would as they purged my things) I would be mortified.

There were things in there that, while helpful to me for processing emotions, etc., would be hurtful for some of my loved ones to read. They wouldn't understand. And there are things in there I wouldn't want others to know about my personal struggles, etc. I didn't disclose a variety of things for a reason (mostly to keep people form worrying about me) and I don't want others to read it later and go, "I wish she'd told us," or, "She didn't trust/love us enough to tell us these things."

It was easy, looking at it that way, to destroy them all.

Yes, this is exactly what I needed to realize in order to part with mine!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4586 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
Bagged up the to-go pile in the basement, and grabbed a couple other things I wanted to get rid of. Everything's in the trunk, just need to drop off at Goodwill!

Friends, I love you dearly, but please don't buy me books. My family has learned (except for sister's BF, he's new to this) - I probably already have it. Unless I SPECIFICALLY ask for a book, just get a gift card.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4587 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:40 AM »
So I'm stepping up the "let people pay for my trash" as I tell my wife and also get rid of things that cause me grief.  The grief causing things first:

2005 Polaris trail touring snowmobile:  I haven't ridden this in 2 years.  This year, I pulled it out of my shed and couldn't get it started.  Spent a solid 20 hours working on the stupid thing and got it to where it started and I could ride it a bit around the house.  But am I going to ride this up north on the nice groomed trails like the first 2 years I owned it?  Nope.  Onto craigslist before the snow went away.  Sold it to a guy for $2k who had sold his snowmobile for reasons he didn't understand....and he wanted to go again.  Good riddance. 

Wire Core welder.  This is a harbor freight $99 special.  I welded up a pipe that had a leak in the exhaust of our Subaru that my son keeps at school.  Like the snowmobile, I have to screw around with it for an hour to get it to work.  Onto craigslist for $20.  Gone.

The wife has wanted new washer/dryer forever.  We found what we wanted at Sears, on sale.  Came home, used an online coupon, some of my shop your way points and a sears master card to collect free shipping and a bunch of limited time points (used them to buy some on sale craftsman wrenches).  Old washer and dryer on craigslist.  $20 for the washer, $10 for the dryer.  Again.....let people pay to take my trash away.

I kid to my wife that next, I'm going to cut my own hair and advertise "bag of hair, $20". 

The garage is way nicer without a long 2 up snowmobile in it and the spot I used in the shed for it now has some hangers for 3 bikes.  Will build some kind of racks for another 3 bikes under these.

Almost forgot.....I found a dime in a parking lot the other day.  I'm convinced that with my attitude (pick up pennies), I've piled money on top of other money.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:43:14 AM by Car Jack »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4588 on: March 28, 2017, 12:22:55 PM »
We decided not to get a new dresser till we move to a new place and look at storage options there. The price was right at $40 and it was one of the models I wanted. But we have a dresser that works for now and I can always upgrade later if needed. This counts at not adding clutter right? :)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4589 on: March 28, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
So I'm stepping up the "let people pay for my trash" as I tell my wife and also get rid of things that cause me grief.  The grief causing things first:

2005 Polaris trail touring snowmobile:  I haven't ridden this in 2 years.  This year, I pulled it out of my shed and couldn't get it started.  Spent a solid 20 hours working on the stupid thing and got it to where it started and I could ride it a bit around the house.  But am I going to ride this up north on the nice groomed trails like the first 2 years I owned it?  Nope.  Onto craigslist before the snow went away.  Sold it to a guy for $2k who had sold his snowmobile for reasons he didn't understand....and he wanted to go again.  Good riddance. 

Wire Core welder.  This is a harbor freight $99 special.  I welded up a pipe that had a leak in the exhaust of our Subaru that my son keeps at school.  Like the snowmobile, I have to screw around with it for an hour to get it to work.  Onto craigslist for $20.  Gone.

The wife has wanted new washer/dryer forever.  We found what we wanted at Sears, on sale.  Came home, used an online coupon, some of my shop your way points and a sears master card to collect free shipping and a bunch of limited time points (used them to buy some on sale craftsman wrenches).  Old washer and dryer on craigslist.  $20 for the washer, $10 for the dryer.  Again.....let people pay to take my trash away.

I kid to my wife that next, I'm going to cut my own hair and advertise "bag of hair, $20". 

The garage is way nicer without a long 2 up snowmobile in it and the spot I used in the shed for it now has some hangers for 3 bikes.  Will build some kind of racks for another 3 bikes under these.

Almost forgot.....I found a dime in a parking lot the other day.  I'm convinced that with my attitude (pick up pennies), I've piled money on top of other money.

That's a great way to think about getting rid of stuff :D

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4590 on: March 28, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
Scrapped/parted out an old lawnmower.  It was a originally CL find.  Had some fun fixing it up and using it a few times but it got in the way one too many times.  Already enjoying the free space and made some $$ on the parts.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4591 on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
One thing I DID NOT declutter: a Gary Johnson presidential campaign lawn sign.  It has been sitting next to the trash bin since November but I decided to keep it. Hoping I can use it again in 3.5 years plus it cost something like $12.  It barely takes up any room.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4592 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:30 AM »
Our local council's having an electronics recycling day, so we're going to remove hard drives from a laptop and desktop and hand them in. I am quite excited! They haven't worked for some time. Hopefully we'll be ready to scrap the hard drives by the next recycling day.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4593 on: March 29, 2017, 06:17:35 AM »
I have taken the decision to become a rational minimalist, which means getting rid of all the stuff we don't actively use. But it does not mean stripping down the house to the bare minimum.

Currently we have put 2 racing bikes, 2 racing wheels and a new pair of hiking trousers on the internet for sale. The wheels are already agreed sold. Someone wanted to buy the trousers, but wanted me to finance all the sending cost which was not cheap. I reclined and will wait a bit longer for a better deal.

I have gone through my drawer with underwear and removed everything that I don't wear. One nice and practically unworn bodice can be sold. I have lots of nice underwear that are a cup size too small, because my body weight has fluctuated with 8 kilograms through the years. If I ever get 1 clothes size lower body weight, they will fit again. And who knows if that might happen again if I get more active. So I've put the nicest ones in a bag and put that bag in the back of a cupboard, out of the way. -> Some of you might find this a stupid tactic, but I've burnt myself before my throwing away all clothes that didn't fit anymore and then lose 8 kilos a year later. I've thrown away all of the old underwear that I don't want to wear anymore for whatever reason. Same with sports socks. Lots of them are never used. All in the same garbage bag. I kept my favorites

I've also gone through my sweaters and taken out all the ones that I haven't worn for the past 2 or more years. They will be given away for recycling.

I have also emptied a old Amaretto tin with 150 grams of Durum flour, made pasta of the flour and threw away the tin that stood permanently on the kitchen top. And I've thrown away a high and narrow glass vase that is too high to fit into any closet and has been standing on the kitchen top for 1,5 year. Sometimes I need a high and narrow vase for when I get a single nice rose, but such a vase I already have (a better and nicer one), so this other vase could go.

I found a place for the container with dishwasher detergent. It has been standing in a window frame in the kitchen for 1,5 years (since we moved in). Now I just put it in a cupboard, together with the casseroles.

I'm gonna take small steps at the time. I have told my DH about the minimalism plan. He got a bit scared that I might want to get rid of all the hobby stuff we have. But my plan is to just reduce the piles of stuff that we don't use. And it does fit in with the plan that we want to strip down our belongings to a minimum after FIRE, to be flexible to move.

Next steps to take:
- Photographing and selling a nice bodice.
- Photographing and selling my wedding dress, which is in fact an evening gown (It was a Mustachian choice, as this dress cost less than half of what a normal wedding dress costs).
- Going through the rest of my clothes and throwing out unused clothes.
- Sorting out the camping gear and throwing away what we don't use.
- Throwing away old shoes, even though they are still wearable, but that we in practice haven't used for years.
- Clearing up some cupboards upstairs and see if I can fit our camping gear in there. Now it is spread in too many places and too easy to forget something.
- Maybe organize a garage sale to sell/give away things that can be reused. Like a moose that might fit in a children's room and a small grill.
- Testing a bunch of old small headphones. Currently we have 20 or so hanging on a cupboard knob. I should either test which ones work and are good to keep or just throw away the lot.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:47:06 AM by Linda_Norway »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4594 on: March 29, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »
I found three more journals to shred! Sheesh -- I thought I was done! Now I'm pretty sure I'm down to the one I'm actually writing in.

I also organized the useful junk drawer a bit. Small things of like type are in little baggies. In the process, I found five old batteries that I missed last time; they're in the e-waste bin now. They must be old batteries... hardly anything runs on batteries anymore, and what little does, we have rechargeables for.

I may attack my paperwork this weekend. My filing system is a bit overwhelming (though it does all fit into just one small drawer now; that's a plus).

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4595 on: March 29, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
- Maybe organize a garage sale to sell/give away things that can be reused. Like a moose that might fit in a children's room and a small grill.

That made me lol!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4596 on: March 29, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »

I've gotten rid of a lot so there are now gaps, an empty shelf here, an empty drawer there. Now I'm trying to store like with like. I had linen stored in the linen cupboard and the spare room, gym gear stashed in the linen cupboard and my wardrobe.

Hmmm, if only there was a solution to that ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4597 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:24 AM »
I also checked all my sports clothes. I found out that I regularly use most of the sports clothes, but ditched a few things. Some of the clothes thrown away hurt mentally, because some required some effort to buy them. But I didn't wear them for years and couldn't find a good argument to keep them. I also ditched some perfectly good running shirts that are so small that I always choose other shirts to wear. I am still in doubt about 2 long Johns that still fit perfectly, but that I in practice never wear. Maybe because they are not made of wool and I now have 3 woolen ones that I use often.

I tried on all my trousers (normal and hiking ones). Positive thing is that with my current weight I fit into more trousers than I thought and put some back on the "regular" pile. I did however get rid of all trousers that were fitting so tight that there was no hope to fit into them any time soon. Plus a few that I don't like to wear anymore. And all the ugly shorts that I had.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4598 on: March 30, 2017, 02:31:15 AM »
I'm coming up to 'clothing changeover' time of year. I know Marie Kondo says not to do this, but honestly, where I live there are certain clothes that are only worn in one half of the year or the other.

I have one drawer in my dresser dedicated to neatly folded out of season clothes. I've had to reach in a few times for summery stuff, and that stuff is then 'out' and goes on hangers. But since I haven't yet put any winter stuff away, I have run out of hangers!

I guess I should try to weed out a few things I don't really like. I wash things after their 'final' wear before they go in the drawer. I guess I need to do the final wash and then decide whether I want to see this again next winter, or if I should give it to charity.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4599 on: March 30, 2017, 07:08:51 AM »
I'm coming up to 'clothing changeover' time of year. I know Marie Kondo says not to do this, but honestly, where I live there are certain clothes that are only worn in one half of the year or the other.

I'm with you on this, shorts are for summer and long johns are for winter, why have them handy when they won't be worn?  We can go from -40oC (super cold winter night) to mid-30's and super humid (mid-summer) so one set of clothes doesn't work year-round.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!