Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851255 times)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter
« Reply #4200 on: January 06, 2017, 04:44:47 PM »
Three more boxes of good (but no longer useful to me) stuff sold!

I've got maybe five more boxes to go (harder to sell stuff, but I think worth trying to sell; if I can't get buyers by summer, I'll donate). Other than that, it's all furniture and an aquarium. So close!

There are still photos and documents to go through, but that amount has shrunk considerably. I feel optimistic that I'll be able to take care of that over Spring break (for now, I'm taking a break from the tough stuff).

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4201 on: January 06, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »
I supposed to be doing other things so obviously am  decluttering instead... More paper gone. I've got three more files to go through and I think most of it will be rubbish. Then all I have to do is consolidate all the bits I'm  keeping from about 8 files into 2, get hubby to reduce and consolidate 3 files to 1 and then, bingo - I've got my one shelf of paperwork.

I'm having trouble throwing out ultrasounds and X-rays. I think the doctors get electronic copies anyway and it's not like they'd look at old ultrasounds if anything similar happened again, so I should just chuck them, right? One set is an awkward A3+ shape that it's impossible to find a home for!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4202 on: January 06, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
i took 4 bags of "stuff" and a small table to donate today.  It looked like a lot of stuff but there is still so much  more I can do.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4203 on: January 06, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
Went through my old maternity clothes and clothes I used after delivery and sorted out the ones I would use this time and started a bag for donation with the rest. Also went through my kid's baby clothes to make sure we have everything we need for baby#2. Looks like we don't have to buy anything at all. Also donated some of the baby clothes that were stained or ones I didn't like the first time around. Guess we are set for baby#2 wrt clothes.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4204 on: January 06, 2017, 09:58:27 PM »
Seriously considering if we can ship away some speciality foodstuff to my sister or if it's not worth it, to give them to a cousin who stays close by. We can't use them anymore since my kid is allergic to them and since they are available only in a particular part of India, I ended up bulk buying them when I went. Now I don't want to waste it but can't use it either. Decisions, decisions!

We are slowly eating down the freezer and the pantry. My husband hates this so I'm doing it very gradually but my goal is to have a mostly empty freezer and pantry by the time we move in 8 months (yep! It'll take us that long to eat them up :( )

Do you have a local facebook buy/sell? You may be able to get some money for them.
Or if it's too much in shipping- is there a university nearby? Maybe there are some international students organizations who could help find a home for these foods for a student who really misses them.  Or a local buy nothing group if you just want them out of the house.
This is a great idea. I'll contact the student org in nearby university. I'm sure there'll be someone who'd love to take these off my hands. Thanks iowajes!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4205 on: January 06, 2017, 11:23:20 PM »
Someone bought our ladder!

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #4206 on: January 07, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
I condensed a 40cm x 40cm box full of drop files into one-and-a-bit 8cm wide neat box files that fit on a bookshelf. I'm very pleased.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4207 on: January 07, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »
Yay! We're about to put a tyre + rim on Gumtree and fingers crossed it goes for a decent price. Otherwise, we'll just drop it slowly.

I condensed a 40cm x 40cm box full of drop files into one-and-a-bit 8cm wide neat box files that fit on a bookshelf. I'm very pleased.
Wooh! That is awesome, a huge amount gone!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4208 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »

Ok, I gotta ask.  Why would you get rid of a ladder?  Don't get me wrong, I love decluttering but my ladders are neatly hung on the garage wall ready for any task around the house.  Given how frequent I use them, it's not the kind of thing I want to make arrangements to borrow.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4209 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
We use our ladder as a bike rack in the garage - it's mounted to the side wall, and we bungee the bikes to the rungs.

People like my parents, though - one has a heart condition, the other has stability issues after knee and foot surgery, and they are older - they are never going to be up on ladders again; they aren't at a point where they should even be setting one up, let alone climbing it. I can understand why people might get rid of them. 

Anyway - I did 5 steps forward, one step back in the last couple days. I have foot issues (skinny feet with a bunion) that make it hard to find the perfect boots. When the front is roomy enough, the back slides around and gives me blisters. And I bike when it's way below freezing so I need something warm without laces. I kept buying thrift shop boots and not loving them, so buying more and trying them. Ugh. I finally got the perfect pair, boxed up all the rejects and donated them to a thrift shop yesterday along with a large box of sweaters I didn't love. But the shop had their five for $5 sale, and I bought 5 comfy fleece shirts. :(

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4210 on: January 07, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
I am taking a bag of books, a lamp, a candle to the thrift shop.  I also am recycling a bunch of old magazines, pounds of them!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4211 on: January 07, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
Dropped a bag off to charity while I walked to the supermarket this morning.

Took cloth bags to slow the influx of plastic bags, then packed up a heap of plastic shopping bags for a friend who uses them for nappies.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4212 on: January 08, 2017, 03:11:52 AM »

Ok, I gotta ask.  Why would you get rid of a ladder?  Don't get me wrong, I love decluttering but my ladders are neatly hung on the garage wall ready for any task around the house.  Given how frequent I use them, it's not the kind of thing I want to make arrangements to borrow.

Too old and uncoordinated to use it any more. Sold mine at a yard sale last summer. Any outdoor work that is higher than arms reach from a sturdy stepstool gets outsourced now. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4213 on: January 08, 2017, 03:15:05 AM »
Dropped a bag off to charity while I walked to the supermarket this morning.

Took cloth bags to slow the influx of plastic bags, then packed up a heap of plastic shopping bags for a friend who uses them for nappies.

Because I use green bags and don't really shop much I have no bags for all my giveaway and donated stuff! Had to use brand new bin liners to put clothes in charity bin.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4214 on: January 08, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »
I attacked the junk drawers today.

They won, but were not completely unscathed.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #4215 on: January 08, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »
More than seven more things culled for the weekend of 1/7!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4216 on: January 08, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
OK, so, this week I've been trying to get rid of stuff responsibly. Stuff that the donation shop won't take. And it's turned into such a pain in the ass!

Exhibit A: A sword that we have hanging on our wall. We don't feel comfortable putting it in the trash as, while it's decorative and not that sharp, it could definitely be used as a weapon and we're in a high-crime neighborhood with folks regularly going through our trash. I posted this in a few nerdy/geeky Facebook groups I'm in. Got a response Friday night. He said he can come pick it up any time this weekend. I said, great! Sunday's better for me. What time works? Complete radio silence ever since.

Exhibit B: A big stash of jewelry gift boxes (like, the kind that a store puts your jewelry in, when you buy it; small shiny cardboard boxes with a cottony liner). I posted these on a couple of crafters' forums that I'm on, offering them for free pickup, or just the cost of shipping if mailed. Got a taker right away. We set up a time when she could pick them up. She didn't show and stopped answering messages. OK then, back on offer. Got another taker. She balked at the shipping cost ($10). I offered to send her fewer boxes to get the shipping cost down. She agreed, we agreed on a price, I packed them up.... now radio silence and no payment. I'm not paying to give stuff away! I guess I'll bug her one more time and then put them in the recycling. It's too bad because many jewelry artists use these and they're in good shape.

Exhibit C: A stack of fan magazines for a musical artist. I did successfully get rid of these; they are on their way to the recipient. I offered them for the cost of shipping, which she paid. However, didn't realize I didn't have anything to mail them in; had to buy a padded mailer. It was only $2 but still, grrrr. (She wanted media mail rate so I couldn't use the free priority packing materials. Understandable as this was several pounds of printed material.)

Exhibit D: Some posters we don't want any more. I posted these to Facebook, just to my friends. I have someone interested. Of course it's my friend who lives in Sweden. Who says she'll pay for shipping.... but I don't own any poster tubes so I'll have to go get one and then figure the shipping. Which I'm certain will be more than she wants to spend.

I am starting to feel like this is turning into a ton of work and time spent, and it's not making the pile of crap get any smaller. These are just the most recent examples and I'm getting really tired of chasing down the people who say they want my stuff but then don't follow up.  I am starting to feel like I should just be pitching or recycling this stuff - but, there's been so much publicity lately about how most recycling in our city actually ends up in the landfill. And I have so many zero-waste friends who get on me for discarding ANYTHING that's useful. (of course, they don't offer to take this stuff either.) So I end up feeling guilty about tossing it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of the sword? I've tried my friends, nerdy groups, SCA groups, bellydance groups. Really not comfortable putting it in the trash, though I guess I could wrap it up in a ton of garbage bags to disguise it? Maybe add some used kitty litter or otherwise stinky garbage so no one's tempted to dig through it?

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4217 on: January 08, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
Maybe a local theater group for the sword?  Or a highschool's theater department?

I've had better luck on freecycle than anywhere else giving things away.  We always do porch pick up - give me an approximate time, and I will make sure the item is out.  In about 50 giveaways, I've only had 2 no shows.  Those items just got offered to the 2nd people who had requested them, and were taken immediately.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4218 on: January 08, 2017, 11:35:27 AM »
Tris -- your experience is exactly what's making me drag my feet when it comes to posting things on Craigslist. I want to add something like, "only available for pickup Saturdays from 8am-12" which is when I'm generally puttering around the house or garden. At least if I get a no-show then, I won't feel put-out.

Regarding the sword, I second the theater donation idea.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4219 on: January 08, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
The buy nothing group on facebook seems to have reliable pick ups in my area. Plus then I know who is coming to my house a bit better.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4220 on: January 08, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »
Pulled five boxes out of the storage unit to go through.  So hard going through a recently deceased parent's things, but so necessary.  I just keep reminding myself of the cost of keeping these items in storage and then I steel myself for more sadness and plunge in...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4221 on: January 08, 2017, 02:02:07 PM »
Working my way through perhaps four inches of scrapbook and yearbook pages I decided to scan before recycling.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4222 on: January 08, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
How would I go about getting rid of an old pair of skis? I also have an old backpack. Both are in good condition, but they are incredibly outdated compared to what people us today, I don't think any resale store would want them even as a donation. To give you an idea, I haven't skied since 1995, and my last backpacking trip was even longer ago.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4223 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »
How would I go about getting rid of an old pair of skis? I also have an old backpack. Both are in good condition, but they are incredibly outdated compared to what people us today, I don't think any resale store would want them even as a donation. To give you an idea, I haven't skied since 1995, and my last backpacking trip was even longer ago.

Local scout troop?

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4224 on: January 08, 2017, 05:05:37 PM »
Theater group is a good idea for the sword. I'll ask around. I think the difficulty is going to be getting someone to pick it up. I don't have a car and I don't want to take it on public transport, though I guess I could just wrap it up in garbage bags or something.

I can't do porch pickup for Freecycle - high-crime neighborhood; it'd get immediately stolen. :( I envy people who can do this.

I just found and joined the Buy Nothing FB group for my city, hooray! It's almost entirely people requesting stuff, though, and the giveaway posts all seem to not have any takers. Hmm.

Today I spent a couple hours in the basement and tossed nearly all of my work samples from when I worked at newspapers. In the '90s. Fairly certain these are too old to get me a job at this point, haha, especially since I'm not reporting any more. I did keep a handful of my favorites. Also tossed some of my writings from high school. Yes, high school. I'm 45. Why do I still have all this?

In this pile of crap, I also found my college diploma and my 8th grade school picture, which I posted on Facebook and gave all my friends a good laugh.

Mezzie, that's a good idea, set a small time window for people to show up. I HATE sitting around waiting for people to show up when I could be doing other things (and our buzzer doesn't work so I have to make sure my phone is always on me, which is not a thing I normally do)

Noralenderbee, do you have a Burning Man community where you live? Seems to me that those folks might take the backpack. Here, the burners have a lot of local camping trips in addition to the big Burning Man event (and they tend to be broke and/or into reusing stuff.)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4225 on: January 08, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »
I just kept finding things today!   I've got a pile of paper to recycle, a few more things in the goodwill bag and a lot more empty shelf space. I was able to hide the less pretty paperwork and show off a few books.

I burned the last of a huge candle.

Finished up three small sewing projects.

Feeling good.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4226 on: January 08, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
I think it's better to do what works for you (recycle or trash or donate) than hang on to something trying to do the right thing and be guilty about it. If your friends give a hard time, unless they are willing to spend the time finding a way for reuse, they don't have any right to guilt you.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4227 on: January 08, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
Final day of going through 'papers' as part of my Marie Kondo quest. It was the mysterious kitchen top drawer today, aka the junk drawer. I found a receipt from car hire in 2011. We moved to this house in 2013. Glad I kept that...

I haven't filed away the warranties I need to keep yet but I've done all the sorting and the drawer is now almost empty. The rest of the junk (used batteries! Rusty paper clips!) will wait til near the end of the big quest. It's not difficult to sort, it's just gross. I've saved a couple of gift boxes which will make four trays to keep necessary odds and ends tidy.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4228 on: January 09, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »
Nora -- do you have a local Sierra Club chapter? Someone may appreciate the backpack there. Also check your local community college; mine has a backpacking course, and the backpack itself is easily the most expensive part of it. The teacher might be able to use it as a loaner.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4229 on: January 09, 2017, 06:08:12 AM »
Who watched The Simpsons last night? 😀

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4230 on: January 09, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »
Growing up, everyone I knew used their garage for storage. I don't think I saw a car actually parked in a garage until my mid-twenties. So, to combat that bad association, I've made a short list of what can be in the garage:
- washer & dryer
- vehicles (cars, bikes, wheelchairs, scooters)
- tools
- PA system and amps (musicians here)
- board games (will be moved to office closet when it becomes an office again; we have renters)
- toy box for visiting nieces and nephews (same as above)
- camping equipment
- emergency water stores
- wok station and barbecue

The end.

I'm actually pretty close to this once I get the furniture gone.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4231 on: January 09, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »

I can't do porch pickup for Freecycle - high-crime neighborhood; it'd get immediately stolen. :( I envy people who can do this.

There's your answer. Anything you are happy to give away for free... do so by putting it on your porch.

I'm serious. I had some garden furniture I didn't want. Left it at a friend's* house who has had things go missing with a sign that said 'Free' to assuage any guilt felt by non-thieves who wanted it. Sorted.

*with agreement! In fact it was their suggestion. I live in the middle of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:34:20 AM by theadvicist »

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #4232 on: January 09, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
We are in a small village, touristy in the summer and fall, and use the curb as our porch.  DH painted "FREE" on an old shingle which we used many times to deaccession things; works like a charm, usually in a few hours.  Last time, someone also nabbed the free sign...

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4233 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »
There's your answer. Anything you are happy to give away for free... do so by putting it on your porch.

Yeah, we "donate" stuff to the alley often, and it gets picked up pretty frequently. Could switch that to the front porch to add that extra illicit thrill of stealing. Our current landlord doesn't live in the building like our old one did so we could do this (old landlord would not have been OK with us leaving our crap on the porch).

Still not OK doing that with a weapon, though. BUT, might have another taker from one of the FB groups? Stay tuned....

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4234 on: January 09, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree it's not a good idea with the sword! How about your local police station? They might take it to 'get a weapon off the streets'. Or scrap dealer? Though I guess it depends what's walkable to you, as I agree about the public transport thing. Though bin bags might make it look even more suspicious.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4235 on: January 09, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
I'm slowly sorting through things again.  I cleaned out about a quarter of our bathroom.  It's insane how many random items and almost empty boxes we kept. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4236 on: January 09, 2017, 08:16:23 PM »
Got rid of the extra mattress!

This is huge and wonderful!  The city will pick it up for free. When I called to schedule it today they told me to put it out tonight and they would come within 5 days.  I seriously hope that means tomorrow.

Moved a power strip so that now the loveseat will hide the unsightly cords.

Rearranged socks and underwear drawers. Getting rid of 11 items.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4237 on: January 09, 2017, 08:52:07 PM »
Have gone through my cook books and got rid of 6. Now I can store the iron in the same cupboard above the fridge without everything falling out on my head when I try to get it out.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4238 on: January 10, 2017, 05:16:29 AM »
Have gone through my cook books and got rid of 6. Now I can store the iron in the same cupboard above the fridge without everything falling out on my head when I try to get it out.

I have found this to be the best thing of all about decluttering! The bathroom, the utility, the kitchen. No more open-cupboard-crouch-and-brace. Just, open the cupboard!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4239 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Looks like someone is going to pick up the sword tomorrow! Fingers crossed that she actually shows up....

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4240 on: January 10, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
I'm going to try and consolidate my paper files into a single bin that I keep in my closet and get rid of the filing cabinet.  It matches the desk that I am listing for sale, so hopefully they will sell as a set.

I'm planning to list my desk chair as well.  Any ideas on how to best sell it? - it's an expensive chair that costs around $700 new. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4241 on: January 10, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
The problem with free (and with facebook in general) is that you bring out all the flakes who know that they have no real commitment (what are you going to do?  Ask for a deposit for a $0 item?).  I put stuff on Craigslist at a very low price.  3 chairs?  $15.  3 tires?  $15.  Local pickup.....you come to me or to my work.  I've sold thousands of things on Craigslist and that's the best way to work it.  Free doesn't work (are you sure it's worth my gas from Cambridge?  Can you hold it till I can get a ride from my girlfriend's father's bosses son?  No.  Come to my house and give me $15 and I know that someone who has an actual use for the thing will come pick it up.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4242 on: January 10, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
If I post anything for free, I usually just leave the stuff outside my house so that I don't have to waste time dealing with the flakes.  If they come and pick it up then great, if not, I relist it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4243 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »
I've had way more flakes on paid items than free ones.
Though I put free things on the porch, they have always been claimed.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4244 on: January 10, 2017, 01:54:47 PM »
I have pretty good success getting rid of things on freecycle, possibly because I give first choice to people who are polite enough to ask "please" and say "thank you".  They tend to be more considerate about no-shows than the guy who writes "yeah I'll take that".

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4245 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
Headed back over to the storage unit.  One more box out of there!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4246 on: January 10, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Who watched The Simpsons last night? 😀

Here it is: http://www.fox.com/watch/849850435762/7684601088

Should be worth a few LOLs for this crowd.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4247 on: January 10, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »
Today's mission is jam jars, candles, light bulbs and under the kitchen sink.

Will also cut up some old tees used for rags into proper squares so they are easier to store folded in my new drawer that I emptied the other day.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4248 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
I was planning on replacing some bookcases I'm offloading to siblings with nicer ones, but now I'm wondering if there's a chance I can just declutter or rearrange 2 bookcases worth of stuff. That's the dream...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4249 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:45 AM »
Thrift store coming to pick up 3 boxes and 3 bags of misc. household goods and clothing ... its all out on my porch for the a.m. pickup!