Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851448 times)

Anje

• Stubble
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3850 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:42 AM »
I do a cull of the kitchen every year before christmass. Lets me see if I have something I actually do use that needs replacing (if so it goes on the christmass wish list) and toss out those things I don't use before new things might come in.

I find items I use every day tend to go dodgy without me noticing, so I need to look at them all in one go. Is that pan a-ok? Is that plastic item safe to use? This year I've already replaced my oven and blender, so I do hope nothing else is ready to break. Last year I got new frying pans and plastic containers.

Plan for this week: look at my (ever growing) collection of plastic plant pots and see if I really need a heap of each size or (most likely) can fill my outdoor space to the brim with plants having less of them. Also bring my pile of no longer useable clothes to a place for fabric recycling.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3851 on: October 25, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »
Just saw a nice summary of some of the biggest foes in decluttering:
http://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/organizing-tips/g3848/unhappy-clutter-decor/?slide=1

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3852 on: October 27, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
So not so much decluttering, as preventing recluttering. Yesterday at the supermarket there was an offer of two tubs of margarine with a free baking tray for £2. £2!!!!

I put it in my trolley. Then I thought about it and... I would have to make something just to use up the margarine because it's not something we buy. The baking tray wasn't a great shape for my needs - it was square and a rectangle would work better for what I use it for. Also... all that stuff for £2... someone's losing out, and I'm guessing it was whoever had to make that cheap baking tray in China.

I put it back.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3853 on: October 27, 2016, 01:37:36 PM »
Way to go!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3854 on: October 27, 2016, 01:47:26 PM »
Had a garage sale last weekend. Cleared out the basement (we've been putting stuff down there for months in preparation for the sale) and made $450. Win-win!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3855 on: October 27, 2016, 08:08:07 PM »
Tonight I went back to my filing cabinet and got rid of a stack of papers 4" high. That felt good, especially since it went out in the recycling.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3856 on: October 28, 2016, 02:31:55 AM »
Tackled the piles of post and papers. I have stopped most things coming through, but husband is stubborn about keeping a credit card for work expenses which still has paper statements. Made a small pile for him and asked him to sort, since there were only a few items he did.

The rest of the stuff I actioned / filed / binned. I know I should do it daily, but when I've been dealing with paper all day at work it just seems like the final insult to come home to more of it on the doormat, and I let it pile up. Must do better. And carry on unsubscribing from anything I can, it's made a big difference.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3857 on: October 28, 2016, 02:36:29 AM »
Giving away several things on Buy Nothing today :D

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3858 on: October 28, 2016, 03:28:21 AM »
Last week I cleaned out a bunch of books and clothes, and then took them to the swapmeet and sold them, I only made $50 but still better than nothing. everything I didnt sell was donated to the salvos.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3859 on: October 29, 2016, 08:30:22 PM »
Boyfriend and I did some work on our basement storage locker in our building. In a former life, I was a journalist/newspaper page designer and I think I kept EVERY single one of my clips. Sometimes multiple copies. We're talking daily reporting for 5 years followed by 2 years of design.

Did I mention this was 20 years ago and I don't do this any more so these are little to no value as work samples? And that they all looked pretty awful anyway, all yellowed and sometimes disintegrating? And that I've been hauling these from apartment to apartment since the mid-90s?!?

I got through one entire box of clips. One big plastic bin of them to go. This was harder than I imagined because I really loved these jobs and looking through my work brought back lots of good memories and a sense of accomplishment. I told Boyfriend that I felt like I was throwing out literally years of my life, so much hard work, so many late nights. But I stayed strong and kept only a couple of samples that were my best work, just for the memory.

Also trashed a bunch of handmade craft fair displays that I don't use any more because they don't work with my current setup. Fought that "but if I do X type of show then I'll need something like this" or "maybe it'll be useful someday" syndrome! Still one entire bin of store-bought displays like necklace busts and earring holders, that I can probably sell to some other crafter.

Usually I'm pretty ruthless about pitching stuff but these two categories - craft show supplies/displays and my past work - are tough for me.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3860 on: October 30, 2016, 05:12:47 AM »
Brought 2 bags to Goodwill yesterday but haven't made much progress other than that.  Need to renew my efforts :-)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3861 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
Finally drove a couple boxes that were sitting in the garage to Goodwill. But it seems like ItsDeductible is having serious issues since their update, it keeps eating my data. Very frustrating. Anyone else having this problem?

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3862 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
I have sort of slowed down on my decluttering efforts lately. I did give a huge load of stuff away in August, but not much since then. I have some craft stuff by the door to give to a lady that can use it, and I will make another attack on the basement. Posting here to make sure I follow through. if I do it before Tuesday, it will still count for October. lol.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3863 on: October 30, 2016, 11:56:15 AM »
Yesterday I sent off a bag of canning jar rings to someone on Facebook.  I still need to get rid of another bag.  This morning tossed some stuff that was in the work space in the garage (like empty packaging that "might be useful someday, and a pair of shoes that were worn out and missing the insoles).

Getting closer to having all my the garden produce put up for winter.  I think having piles of tomatoes and potatoes and things laying around counts as clutter.

And DH's football season is coming to a close, so he can put all that crap away, and we might have clear counter spaces in the house again.

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3864 on: October 30, 2016, 12:55:21 PM »
I've always wanted to paint and draw. I have some materials and they are hard to part with. I don't use them but I'm hopeful. :D

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3865 on: October 30, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
I've always wanted to paint and draw. I have some materials and they are hard to part with. I don't use them but I'm hopeful. :D

It's hard for me to do this as well, because it's for me an admission that I did not do the thing I wanted to do.  I don't really care about the stuff itself, just what it represents.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3866 on: October 30, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
I only pop in here once in a while but you all keep inspiring me!  Just posted a few toys on an online sale group just now . . . but should probably just bring them all to the thrift shop!

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3867 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
I should add that I am rereading Simplicity Parenting and this is encouraging me to revisit and pare down the visual clutter, physical clutter and choices my boy has access to.  I am beginning to wonder if he doesn't have some anxiety as falling asleep is difficult for him - fights it tooth and nail - and he doesn't do it on his own, only with momma or daddy laying with him.  I wonder if some changes in the household might help.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3868 on: October 30, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
Good progress this week - removed pictures from a few frames on the wall and the shelf that I hate to dust and donated them. Worked through 3 big boxes of supplies from former side gig and sold 1 box for $60, trashed one box, and have a drop off date booked for the third.  I could have made $100-200 for the supplies but I just wanted it gone so I advertised it that way and it was taken away within a few hours. Feeling so free and calm now. I should have done this ages ago.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3869 on: October 31, 2016, 03:22:31 AM »

I was like this with jewellery making (and the supplies). I always thought I wanted to do it and would give it a go sometime!

But then I realised. I have plenty of free time. I choose to use it dressmaking and cooking. So actually, I didn't want to do the jewellery making as much as I thought I did, or I would have done it already.

I wanted to want to make jewellery. But I had the supplies and the time available, so it turns out I didn't actually want to make jewellery.

Just my experience.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3870 on: October 31, 2016, 03:40:38 AM »
We got a large plastic tub of DH's old toys from his mum a couple of months ago. Last week I sorted it into what I thought would be the "keep" and "Chuck" piles, then left him to check over and change anything I'd gotten wrong. We've kept at most a quarter of the box! It made it easier on him to have it pre-sorted. It's easier to answer "right pile - y/n" than for him to pick up each piece, try to recollect memories, then get sentimental, and find it hard to do more than a piece or two at once.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3871 on: October 31, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »
Got rid of a bag of clothing. Too big or worn out. 

Returned a borrowed book.

Delivered a fairly large piece of art.

Slow and steady for me. I did the big purge a couple years ago, now I am finding empty space in my cupboards. I guess I completely changed my consumption patterns.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3872 on: October 31, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
I did some Spring (or Autumn) cleaning today and found some more rubbish and things to be binned or put into the recycling.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3873 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:23 AM »
Listed some items on a local Facebook group that didn't sell at the yard sale. Now I'm going through the no-show reschedule crud that I remember from Craigslist. Next stop Freecycle. You can just leave free stuff on the front steps and be done with it.

Today is a massive eBay listing day for things that were too good for the yard sale.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3874 on: October 31, 2016, 09:25:46 AM »
Listed some items on a local Facebook group that didn't sell at the yard sale. Now I'm going through the no-show reschedule crud that I remember from Craigslist. Next stop Freecycle. You can just leave free stuff on the front steps and be done with it.

Today is a massive eBay listing day for things that were too good for the yard sale.

I recommend checking for a local Buy Nothing Project if you have one in your area. Way less flakey than random internet people, plus you get to know your neighbors which is pretty cool. Way more limited scope of who knows my address, which I prefer!

The craigslist thing is so frustrating though. I've ended up super judgmental about grammar. IME, the better the grammar the less likely to no-show. Which I suppose ends up being classist, but it saves enough aggravation for me I just don't care. One I gave myself permission to do this, my no-show rate dropped substantially.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3875 on: November 01, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
I recommend checking for a local Buy Nothing Project if you have one in your area. Way less flakey than random internet people, plus you get to know your neighbors which is pretty cool. Way more limited scope of who knows my address, which I prefer!

The craigslist thing is so frustrating though. I've ended up super judgmental about grammar. IME, the better the grammar the less likely to no-show. Which I suppose ends up being classist, but it saves enough aggravation for me I just don't care. One I gave myself permission to do this, my no-show rate dropped substantially.

Yup. The one coming today at 5, supposedly, already bailed once. Perfect grammar. I think she's a flipper. Good luck to her, trying to ship the huge glass punch bowl she's picking up. My local Facebook groups are such a joke. Half the members are not really from the town and a very high percentage are the same people trying to get a flip deal on Craigslist. I don't care about the flipping except that they tend to respond to everything possible immediately and then decide if they are really going to follow through or not.

My 2 best yard sale customers were professional junkers who, between the two of them, almost cleaned me out. Fair on offers, when I could understand them. One guy carried his yard sale quarters in a knotted handkerchief. I'll take that sort of customer any day.

I am lucky to have 2 free groups for my town. We have FreeCycle AND BuyNothing although I haven't listed anything with either yet. You are right. I should just go that route.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3876 on: November 01, 2016, 12:08:49 PM »

Yup. The one coming today at 5, supposedly, already bailed once. Perfect grammar. I think she's a flipper. Good luck to her, trying to ship the huge glass punch bowl she's picking up. My local Facebook groups are such a joke. Half the members are not really from the town and a very high percentage are the same people trying to get a flip deal on Craigslist. I don't care about the flipping except that they tend to respond to everything possible immediately and then decide if they are really going to follow through or not.

My 2 best yard sale customers were professional junkers who, between the two of them, almost cleaned me out. Fair on offers, when I could understand them. One guy carried his yard sale quarters in a knotted handkerchief. I'll take that sort of customer any day.

I am lucky to have 2 free groups for my town. We have FreeCycle AND BuyNothing although I haven't listed anything with either yet. You are right. I should just go that route.

Wow, I'm pretty shocked your Buy Nothing culture is so different over there! I'll admit I'm pretty biased, because I'm an admin for my local group, but that really surprises me. Sorry that's been your experience!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3877 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:17 AM »
Noooo! It's not BuyNothing with the problems, it's the local Facebook groups for my town. You know, like [townname] Online Yard Sale. I'm a member of BuyNothing and Freecycle so I see the posts but I haven't tried offering on them yet.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3878 on: November 02, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
I went through some bookshelves and pulled some books to be donated to our local library.

I also downloaded Decluttr and scanned some of them to see what they are worth. Sadly, almost nothing. This will remind me that once brought into the house, these suckers will depreciate faster than a car leaving the sales lot.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3879 on: November 04, 2016, 12:33:06 AM »
Nice work, people, keep it up! :D

I discarded two puzzles and half a dozen craft magazines today. I also have a "make your own clock" set that looks brand new and hasn't been opened, so I'm donating that to a Christmas Toy Run.

Fingers crossed DH will go through the board games with me tonight, we have some that have been unopened for years (plastic wrap and everything still on, as-new, but they're his, not mine...)

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #3880 on: November 04, 2016, 01:26:45 AM »
I volunteer to relieve you of any surplus board games! Will swap for ... um... not sure. Marmalade?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3881 on: November 04, 2016, 02:13:24 AM »
I volunteer to relieve you of any surplus board games! Will swap for ... um... not sure. Marmalade?
I was gonna donate to the kiddies. We're talking Simpsons themed chess and dr who Monopoly. Still interested? (Obviously DH probably has a say in this...)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3882 on: November 04, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
Please give me some encouragement, fellow declutterers.

I was buying some (much needed) winter running gear, and was given three free pairs of running socks with my purchase. Actually, I do need them, my running socks are worn at the heel so that there are only threads going in one direction.

But then... I know that they are still functional. I have been for two runs now since the purchase, and both times I have selected the new socks. So I know I will not end up using the old ones until they rub all the way through to holes unless I put the new ones away somewhere.

But then I think, these socks have done their job... let them go. But I can't help but think they have life left in them, and it's an irresponsible waste (environmentally) not to use them 'all the way up'. I would recycle them at our local recycling centre.

Please give me permission to get rid of these socks! I don't know why I'm struggling with this so much.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3883 on: November 04, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Theadvicist, the socks have done their duty and if you were to wear them until holey, they would then be doing a disservice to your feet, which work much better in good socks.

Does that help?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3884 on: November 04, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
I was buying some (much needed) winter running gear, and was given three free pairs of running socks with my purchase. Actually, I do need them, my running socks are worn at the heel so that there are only threads going in one direction.

Please give me permission to get rid of these socks! I don't know why I'm struggling with this so much.

You old socks are not protecting either you or your new shoes. Noone else needs socks that won't protect them.

Thank them for their service, and throw them out. Harsh wording, I know. ;)

Welcome the new socks wholeheartedly into your life.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3885 on: November 05, 2016, 08:30:09 AM »
Do you really want blood (from the blisters your old socks are going to give you) on your shoes?  Throw the socks.  Use them for cleaning rags.  But no more wearing them.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3886 on: November 05, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »
I posted about this one in "made your day,' and I'm not generally a declutterer, but this is too good not to leave here:

Today we sold not one, not two, but three trucks that no longer run. Money in our pockets, the trucks will be rehabbed and put to good use again, and the woods around the house are nearly dead vehicle-free! Plus the buyer brought three (much younger than us) friends and hauled them all down off this mountain without us having to do more than help direct things.The only (not serious) downside is I'm no longer in the running at all for oldest Mustachian vehicle - one of them was our '71 Dodge Power Wagon. But I think I was out once it quit running, anyway. The '81 Tercel (which does run) is now our resident antique.$2,500 for all three , so not what we had in them, but then we got long years of use out of them all. We did, however, have under 10k in all of them put together (purchase price, not counting DIY maintenance and repairs), and we'd had the Dodge for over 20 years and ran it for more than half that, and one of the others for more than 10, ran it for about 8.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3887 on: November 06, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
As I've been decluttering I have found some things that just got postponed and postponed because I didn't know what to do with them.  Help?!?

Medals - DD (and me to a much lesser extent) used to compete in an activity where lots of medals got handed out.  I now have a grocery bag full of medals on ribbons, many with little clips.  They are from a bunch of different host groups, and do not get reused.  I hate to just throw them out, but they are so specific I can't see using them for something else (unless I do Christmas tree ornaments or streamers with them,but that is a desperation move).  Any suggestions?  Or just throw out?  They are not even worth putting in recyclng.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3888 on: November 06, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »
As I've been decluttering I have found some things that just got postponed and postponed because I didn't know what to do with them.  Help?!?

Medals - DD (and me to a much lesser extent) used to compete in an activity where lots of medals got handed out.  I now have a grocery bag full of medals on ribbons, many with little clips.  They are from a bunch of different host groups, and do not get reused.  I hate to just throw them out, but they are so specific I can't see using them for something else (unless I do Christmas tree ornaments or streamers with them,but that is a desperation move).  Any suggestions?  Or just throw out?  They are not even worth putting in recyclng.
coin collection plastic sleeves may have pockets the right size for the medals, then you can have a ring binder to flick through instead of the bag.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3889 on: November 06, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »
Dropped off a bag at the local consignment shop. It sat around for years without being used before I got the wherewithal to cart it down. One. Less. Thing.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3890 on: November 06, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
Threw out a 20 year old bottle of clear nail polish. I used it just a few months ago to glue to ends of some threads but tonight it was almost solid.

Wore out a pair of yellow rubber gloves.

Did some sewing using supplies I had.  Emptied and tossed a spool of ribbon.

My shampoo is getting low and I'm very tempted to buy more but I keep reminding myself to wait until it is actually all used up.  Last time I bought some a friend ended up giving me some fancy stuff.  It's taken me several years to use it all.  This time I'm going to wait until the need is real! 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3891 on: November 06, 2016, 08:32:50 PM »

Pick 1-3 of the most meaningful, and frame with a picture of you guys in the event. Then it can be on display, and loved. Release the rest. If they're in storage, you aren't finding them useful or beautiful already.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3892 on: November 07, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »
Anatidae V and Bracken Joy, good suggestions - but - we have trophies too (we got better).  So displaying them as medals is not really needed, I am trying to think of alternate uses.  For medals and for ribbons.  I can't donate the medals, it wouldn't be right that someone could have medals for something they didn't do.  I could donate all the ribbons they hung on though, someone else might have a group that could use them. So the choices are alternate use, or garbage.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3893 on: November 07, 2016, 06:26:42 AM »
I've seen breakfast trays covered with coins and a clear sealant, maybe something like that? I don't know that medals really have a use.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3894 on: November 07, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »
I've seen breakfast trays covered with coins and a clear sealant, maybe something like that? I don't know that medals really have a use.
If the kid that earned the medals were still at home, that would be a fun idea. 

It looks like they may be off to the garbage - I will actually put them in recycling (in a bag) in case the metal can be re-used.  Ribbons to donations.  The don't take up that much room, but every time I am sorting and pick them up they are a mental weight.  Time to be gone!

OR, maybe keep them and see how they do as small Christmas tree ornaments, and then if that works keep a few, ditch the rest.  Hmm, maybe keep them to hang on the cherry trees (the birds presently get 99.9% of the cherries, I should net them), would the flashing metal keep birds away?

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3895 on: November 07, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Brought some books to the local library. I'm slowly going through my shelves.

Brought four boxes of instant pudding also, as they are doing a Thanksgiving food collection at the moment. (I don't eat pudding unless it's sugar free).

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3896 on: November 08, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Someone in my neighborhood started a Goodwill run. They put big plastic bags in our mailboxes with the request to fill them with usable clothes/shoes and put them on the curb on Friday morning to pick them up. I put out 1 bag of shoes and two bags of coats and sweaters I no longer use. Only had to put them on the curb and off they went! Fantastic. I love when I get to be lazy! Next pick up is in six weeks!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3897 on: November 09, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
I'm sure this list of stuff is going to look pretty random and unusual here.  All sold on craigslist or specific car and racing forums:

Pnumatic 20 ton jack on CL.  I gave my son my harbor freight gift card one day.  He bought this thing for reasons unknown.  Didn't keep the box or receipt, so off to a construction guy it went.

Single layer Simpson racing suit and balacava.  Some years ago, I used to own a prepared racecar that required this stuff.  Sold the car long ago.  Someone else can use it now.

Wrangler TJ front spring bag helpers.  I used these to help stiffen up the front end of my 02 Wrangler when I put the snow plow on it.  I sold that Wrangler well over 10 years ago.  Pulled the bags out in case I ever get another.  They don't fit my present Wrangler.  Mailed them to a guy in Maine.

Kids radio flyer wagon:  This had been sitting next to our driveway, in the woods forever.  I first put it into my scrap metal pile, then thought someone else might have use for it, so put it at the end of the driveway and a day later, it was gone.  Glad it's not just getting me $0.01 for the scrap value.

Bunch of watches:  When my dad passed away, I inherited all his watches.  Out of all of them, 2 were of any value.  A 50 year old Longines, which I kept and a citizen eco titanium.  The rest were really novelty junk.  I put up the whole lot on eBay and sold them in one fell swoop.  I haven't worn a watch myself in 10 years.....my phone tells me the time.  Sold the Citizen separately.

I've been slowly going through our bins of toys from our 2 kids.  Most are appropriate for 6 year olds.  My youngest is 16 so you know these will never be used again.  Anything paper or wood is being used for starter for my wood furnace.  Plastic into recycling.  Legos or Brio is kept in a box because I know I can sell these easily on either craigslist or ebay.  I've been known to fill 4 trash barrels with this stuff when the family is gone for a few hours......and nobody even notices any less clutter.  There's that much stuff.  Grandparents never entered the house without a $10 plastic Wal*Mart piece of junk and both wife and one kid are pack rats. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3898 on: November 09, 2016, 12:59:43 PM »
I'm sure this list of stuff is going to look pretty random and unusual here.  All sold on craigslist or specific car and racing forums:

Pnumatic 20 ton jack on CL.  I gave my son my harbor freight gift card one day.  He bought this thing for reasons unknown.  Didn't keep the box or receipt, so off to a construction guy it went.

Single layer Simpson racing suit and balacava.  Some years ago, I used to own a prepared racecar that required this stuff.  Sold the car long ago.  Someone else can use it now.

Wrangler TJ front spring bag helpers.  I used these to help stiffen up the front end of my 02 Wrangler when I put the snow plow on it.  I sold that Wrangler well over 10 years ago.  Pulled the bags out in case I ever get another.  They don't fit my present Wrangler.  Mailed them to a guy in Maine.

Kids radio flyer wagon:  This had been sitting next to our driveway, in the woods forever.  I first put it into my scrap metal pile, then thought someone else might have use for it, so put it at the end of the driveway and a day later, it was gone.  Glad it's not just getting me $0.01 for the scrap value.

Bunch of watches:  When my dad passed away, I inherited all his watches.  Out of all of them, 2 were of any value.  A 50 year old Longines, which I kept and a citizen eco titanium.  The rest were really novelty junk.  I put up the whole lot on eBay and sold them in one fell swoop.  I haven't worn a watch myself in 10 years.....my phone tells me the time.  Sold the Citizen separately.

I've been slowly going through our bins of toys from our 2 kids.  Most are appropriate for 6 year olds.  My youngest is 16 so you know these will never be used again.  Anything paper or wood is being used for starter for my wood furnace.  Plastic into recycling.  Legos or Brio is kept in a box because I know I can sell these easily on either craigslist or ebay.  I've been known to fill 4 trash barrels with this stuff when the family is gone for a few hours......and nobody even notices any less clutter.  There's that much stuff.  Grandparents never entered the house without a $10 plastic Wal*Mart piece of junk and both wife and one kid are pack rats.

Excellent job, Car Jack!  Very methodical and inspiring!

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3899 on: November 09, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Tossed a lot of papers today. And more books.