Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1851281 times)

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »
ScottEric - Thanks for the suggestion - my friend who runs the "we'll empty your elder's house and prep house for sale" company is connecting me to just such folks!     

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
i got rid of 3 boxes of books and sold 2 boxes of old text books from college, bonus is i got credit at 2nd and Charles and will use that credit to buy gifts at christmas

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:37 AM »
Sounds like an interesting business. How does it work? Is she coaching and face-punching you through the process? Does she help evaluate and sell off your stuff? I was actually wondering whether such an endeavor would be successful, after much sorting and moving this week.

She comes over, and you go through whatever spot together.  For things you are unsure about keeping/parting with, she asks you questions about the last time you used that item is, and if the space it is occupying might be better utilized with something else.  She also provided some suggestions on moving things around, to make the space more functional (like getting the bottom of the closet at the back door, back for shoes, by moving the cat litter into 'the bar' cupboard, and putting in a kitty door for them). 

She was both motivational, and supportive, not so many face punches, more encouragement really.

She would charge $50/hour (and does to her other clients) but this was free, in exchange for being able to take and use before/after pictures of my space, and a few errands run in my truck.  She has a few clients so far, but not enough to safely replace her husband's income (her desire) so he can stay home with their daughter, while she works.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 01:02:25 PM »
Other than E-Bay and Craigslist, any other suggestions for selling electronics?

I have an older DVD Player (two of them actually) and a 300 disc CD changer that when I looked on craigslist they are still sitting there after a month or so..  I'm not sure who would take them as donations (places I've looked at don't take electronics).

Thanks.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »
Okay I'm in on this!  Actually I'm really good at decluttering and I no emotional hang ups about getting rid of things.... The things just haven't made it out of the house yet.  I have basically a whole room that could be very functional for me for my etsy business that's just all junked up with stuff.  The motivation to actually move the stuff out of the house rarely strikes because we just keep the door closed and never go in there (current house is really big for our needs... too much space is a CURSE!  Really!).

So I'm committing to dealing with that room as much as I can next week when I get home- I will sell what I can and donate the rest.  At this point, I'm even okay with not getting the maximum amount of money (I'm getting rid of a lot of nice clothes), if it means I can just reclaim that room!!  I could be using that room to make stuff to sell to make me money!!!!

Then the next battle is getting mr. Eva to pare down on the books... I feel bad even asking to honestly (books are literally the only material possession he intentionally accumulates), but there are SO MANY and when we inevitably move to a smaller space, he's going to have to pare down or we will be overrun by the books.

moosestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
This is my first post and this was an inspirational thread for me.  Today I took 20 or so books to work and sent out an email notifying friends and co-workers to come and take them.  So far there are only 6 left.  Whatever doesn't get taken by tomorrow will get donated.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
This is my first post and this was an inspirational thread for me.  Today I took 20 or so books to work and sent out an email notifying friends and co-workers to come and take them.  So far there are only 6 left.  Whatever doesn't get taken by tomorrow will get donated.

Well done! And welcome to the forum. :D

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 01:27:59 AM »
Getting rid of some food clutter at the boyfriend's place. This may sound a little iffy to some but I just retrieved some spring onions which have been kept frozen for what I estimate to be at least 2 years (yes, yes, I know). They still looked okay, if a bit dried out and wrinkled from the cold. They're now bubbling away in a big pot of congee. I just tasted a bit and it was still decent! From now on I'm going to work through the freezer and pantry more, at both his place and mine.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:58 AM »
I listed 19 items on Craigslist - futon, filing cabinet, 2 lamps, 2 tables, and several household items. Also I sorted, polished up and priced the silver I inherited, and plan to sell it on ebay, along with some other collectible type items, smaller stuff. Also got rid of a changing table on Craigslist as a free item.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
I really need to go through our winter coats.  We have way too many, but I have sentimental attachments to some & can't bear to let them go (faux fur coat from 6th grade still fits 20 yrs later, my mother's sheep fur trimmed coat from the 70's even though I don't wear leather...).
How do you get over it?

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
Well I had decided that I didn't need to keep more than one of my Grandfather's coats (that's right I wear the same size coat as my grandfather) and the obvious choice with his dense wool army coat.  It'a a fine piece, and who knows, maybe one day I'll leave Texas again (finger's crossed) and live in a place where it is useful.  So into the give away pile went the faux shearling lined leather coat, I've always found it too stiff anyways.

Except, the Mr. saw it and accused me of giving away my grandfathers 'legacy' whatever TF that means.  And so it stays, alongside my letterman's jacket,  two sets of warm-ups from college, a corduroy jacket (that I actually wear), a lightweight raincoat, an orange windbreaker (that I absolutely don't need, but it fits so well and I love it), the aforementioned wool army jacket and a washable suede coat that I have been unable to sell and unwilling to give away. 

So, um, if you figure out the secret please let me know.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
I don't remember where I read it, or from what faith it was from, but it went like so ... if you have two coats, one of them is not yours.  (Share with your fellow man who is without a coat sort of thing.)  I looked at my coats and pretty much decided to keep one to stay warm, one to stay dry, one to stay warm and dry both, and one for dressing up.  And a vest.

I still gravitate towards more coats.  But I try to keep to that formula, and give away the others.  I do have one of my dad's old coats in with my halloween costumes.  Speaking of, I have a problem with those.  I could outfit everyone on this blog in costumes and still have leftovers.  I need help.  Hehe.   

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »
Okay I'm in on this!  Actually I'm really good at decluttering and I no emotional hang ups about getting rid of things.... The things just haven't made it out of the house yet.  I have basically a whole room that could be very functional for me for my etsy business that's just all junked up with stuff.  The motivation to actually move the stuff out of the house rarely strikes because we just keep the door closed and never go in there (current house is really big for our needs... too much space is a CURSE!  Really!).

So I'm committing to dealing with that room as much as I can next week when I get home- I will sell what I can and donate the rest.  At this point, I'm even okay with not getting the maximum amount of money (I'm getting rid of a lot of nice clothes), if it means I can just reclaim that room!!  I could be using that room to make stuff to sell to make me money!!!!

Then the next battle is getting mr. Eva to pare down on the books... I feel bad even asking to honestly (books are literally the only material possession he intentionally accumulates), but there are SO MANY and when we inevitably move to a smaller space, he's going to have to pare down or we will be overrun by the books.

We got the room cleared out!  Woo!  We decided to forget trying to sell it and just donated everything.  It felt so good to donate and I feel so much lighter without all that stuff (especially since we might be moving soon-ish).  And now I can use that space to make things for my etsy shop and earn some extra money!! 

I mentioned paring down the book collection to the Mr., and I set an example by donating some of my books.  He makes the very fair point that there's no need to get rid of them right now because he likes them, and we have plenty space to keep them right now (the house has tons of built in shelving).  He agreed that if we move and don't have the space he will consider paring them down.

The kitchen now is the only room that feels cluttered to me (I HATE clutter- the main living areas are always very tidy), but it's just food and laziness about getting dishes into the dishwasher right away.  So I've basically done what I can for now!

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
Good job!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 07:19:33 AM »
For some sentimental items taking a photo of it might provide a way to remember the item without keeping it.  Also I sometimes shame myself into it...as in, I will only use those boots if I visit Vermont again in the winter.  Someone who works outside would use them every day now.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
We got the room cleared out!  Woo!  We decided to forget trying to sell it and just donated everything.  It felt so good to donate and I feel so much lighter without all that stuff (especially since we might be moving soon-ish).  And now I can use that space to make things for my etsy shop and earn some extra money!! 

That is awesome!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
I've had pretty good success with Craigslist - gained $405 and I don't know how many square feet of space. Got rid of a full size futon, a table, 2 large floor lamps, flower hanging baskets, and various decorative items. Have a stack of board games and a kitchen island pending pickup today.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
We have had pretty good luck lately, got rid of two rain barrels, a printer, a TV, and I am going to give away a scanner.  You all are reminding me that I wanted to eat down the freezer in the basement and unplug it for the summer.  Also my craft room reorganization project is going well, but I should take my butt off the computer and keep working on it.  Keep up the good work, all . . .

b20015

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »
This is the internet, you are all good people, and I've already been 7 kinds of honest in my Ask a Mustachian post so I figure, who not continue?

I grew up in Idaho, my family are farmers. We save everything in case we need it again. My grandfather had 50 year cans of DDT (with the labels torn off so he wouldn't get in trouble) for use on weeds and barrow pits (never on crops or near fields, don't worry). Part of it can be linked to that, I have a STRONG desire to keep things. All things. Spare screws and bolts, wood scraps, old computer parts. Everything. Just useless garbage.

And I even KNOW that I do it. It's a security thing, I don't want to run into a situation where I need something and don't have it. But it's not just that. I also build up just gobs of material things. Books, magazines, clothes, tools. Things I don't REALLY need and if I were to get rid of some of it, it wouldn't really hinder my day to day existence. I probably wouldn't ever notice if I got rid of half of it.

So I am getting in on this one. I'm going to get a garbage bag, fill it with stuff and take it to Goodwill today. I take all of my used books into Powell's or a local paperback place for cash/credit, but I only started decluttering a couple of days ago because: my in-laws are hoarders.

Big time. They have a house that is almost 3,000 square feet (a nice custom house on 65 acres on top of a hill in the coastal range, just flat beautiful) and that house is being crowded with junk. My Father-in-law spends $400-$500 per month at Goodwill buying things. Things that stay in those bags for years, untouched. He just keeps buying. And my Mother-in-law doesn't really help, sometimes she goes along with him. He has a massive shop that he built down below the house and it is door to door filled with junk. He even tripped over some of it and hurt himself 2 weeks ago! They have a mouse colony starting in a spare bedroom, but they couldn't even get into the room because the door couldn't even crack open because of all the stuff.

These are people that make $150,000+ per year... just throwing it away. They drive nice cars, have a beautiful home, property, own businesses and rental houses... it's absolutely insane. And my wife and I are scared shitless about it. We came home from visiting them and started purging our own home. We are trying to simplify, it's just healthier. We could probably do a yardsale, but are worried that it might be more of a hassle than it's worth. But we are debating it!

I think we will try to draw my in-laws into the yard sale as well. They could probably make thousands back on the massive amounts of stuff they have piled up.

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 06:47:37 AM »
RE the grandfather's old coats....  Imagine if he were still alive, but in his last days. How would he answer if you asked him what his legacy was?  I volunteer with hospice patients, and I can tell you that most of them would believe their legacies were their families or their life's deeds, not their old clothing. 

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2013, 06:56:44 AM »

I think we will try to draw my in-laws into the yard sale as well. They could probably make thousands back on the massive amounts of stuff they have piled up.

Good luck, B20015.  I've got someone in the family who sound just like your in-laws, and despite multiple attempts by various family members to help her out, the situation never improved at all until she had professional psychiatric treatment for the underlying mental disorder. Based on this personal experience, I would just suggest you not be too disappointed if your efforts to help them don't work, and don't let it discourage you from getting your own situation under control!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »

Good luck, B20015.  I've got someone in the family who sound just like your in-laws, and despite multiple attempts by various family members to help her out, the situation never improved at all until she had professional psychiatric treatment for the underlying mental disorder. Based on this personal experience, I would just suggest you not be too disappointed if your efforts to help them don't work, and don't let it discourage you from getting your own situation under control!

I'm struggling with getting my wife out of that mode.  I finally got her to cut down her 4 trash bag full of stuffed animals to 1 bag.

If she turns into my in-laws, it will be a challenge.  They keep almost everything.  I'm amazed at how clean their house is considering how much stuff they have.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »

I'm struggling with getting my wife out of that mode.  I finally got her to cut down her 4 trash bag full of stuffed animals to 1 bag.

If she turns into my in-laws, it will be a challenge.  They keep almost everything.  I'm amazed at how clean their house is considering how much stuff they have.

Good luck to you too!  :)

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
Managed to sell both our old digital camera's on eBay the other day. Woohoo! And all the accessories that go along with them.

We're renting right now and keeping our eyes open for a place to buy and call our own...and we're feeling cramped here. Still are, but de-cluttering makes it a lot easier. Plus, our rent is super cheap so we figure if we can just make the place more comfortable we'll be able to save up more money and not feel like moving to another place has to happen right away.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
Sold a couple of items on Craigslist today and got $55.  Have a few more things listed.  Filled up a donation bag for Salvation Army and cleaned out the bathroom and hall closets.  Both trash and recycling bins are full now; they were empty this morning.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »
This thread is inspiring! A little victory I had lately was purging and otherwise organizing my makeup collection into a slick Vaultz box, and now I want everything else to be just as much of a joy to look at and use. I need to do clothing, books, and art supplies next and I think I'll be good to go.

First off is clothing: My personal goal is to own two "packets" (groups? units?) of clothing, one summer and the other winter, and to be able to wash an entire packet in one load of laundry. I donated three bags of clothing to St. Vinny's this morning and I'm feeling good.

Then books: I'll probably try to sell a lot of what I have to a used bookstore and then donate the rest.

And art supplies: This is going to be the hardest part for me, because art stuff tends to be expensive and it basically lasts until I use it up. I have pens and pencils and paint and pastels and brushes and glue and canvases littering my bedroom. I just hoard this stuff and beat myself up for not using it because I don't practice art often enough to justify how much I spend. I need to stop my habit of buying new stuff for each idea I have, and try "shopping" my own collection before visiting the art store. And then there's finished works... Luckily I've made more paintings and drawings than sculptures, so they aren't totally obnoxious. I like making stuff and looking back at it occasionally, but they just take up so much space. Do any of you have suggestions to sell amateur artwork? Does anyone buy art on Craigslist or whatnot? I don't produce consistently enough to have an Etsy shop or anything, but it'd be great to earn some extra cash from this hobby...

Oh! And computer clutter as well, I need to organize my files badly.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2013, 05:25:56 AM »
First off is clothing: My personal goal is to own two "packets" (groups? units?) of clothing, one summer and the other winter, and to be able to wash an entire packet in one load of laundry. I donated three bags of clothing to St. Vinny's this morning and I'm feeling good.

Food for thought - a packet should be longer than 7 days to account for life's interruptions, or be able to hand wash and dry a couple of items overnight.  I was at that point, even below.  All of my clothes and either the sheets or the towels (single college student) could fit in one load, but I had to do laundry once a week.  I did it for a semester, but it was hard on the - cheap - clothes and when something came up it was really hard to delay laundry day. 

Capsule wardrobes are a fantastic concept though, I'm not knocking you at all!!  I'm trying to steer towards dresses and skirts that I can layer with a jacket and tights.  It helps that I don't like long sleeves in general . .  .

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2013, 06:28:57 AM »
This thread just motivated me to go and do some serious cleaning as well this coming weekend.. We don't have that much useless stuff but still, I could do with a lot less. There's a couple of closets and drawers that could use some serious cleaning. Plus, I've been meaning to get rid of some books and my old stamp collection as well..

Especially regarding the latter I'm looking for a worthy cause, not going to just give it away. It's not by any means a big or valuable collection, but I'd like to get at least something in return, either in hard cash or in the feeling I've given it away to someone who values it somehow. I'll let you all know how things turned out.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:04 AM »
we are getting ready to move, so yesterday i went through my sizable fabric stash and reduced it by half. until a few months ago, i was running a vintage-style dressmaking shop, so i had about 8 bins full of super cute vintage and eco-friendly fabrics. now i have 4 bins full.

going to put the lot i'm getting rid of up on craigslist for $100, i think ... it's about 50 yards of fabric, so someone who likes fabric is going to get an amazing deal!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
Haha, I finally sold off that kitchen appliance I mentioned in my first post. Yay! Got $10 for it, which is pure profit - the thing belonged to an ex-housemate who left it behind for me to do whatever that I saw fit.

SellenMachine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
There is a great article here: http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/day3/

The premise is 2 guys want to live a minimalist lifestyle, so they pack all of their stuff up; clothes, furniture, everything. Over a 1 week period they unpack things as they NEED to use them. Anything that is left after that week is either sold, donated, or trashed.

They call it a 'Packing Party.' I did it after moving to a new, cheaper, apartment, and unloaded nearly half of my stuff! It was so liberating that I am trying to dwindle my remaining stuff in half again.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
There is a great article here: http://www.theminimalists.com/21days/day3/

The premise is 2 guys want to live a minimalist lifestyle, so they pack all of their stuff up; clothes, furniture, everything. Over a 1 week period they unpack things as they NEED to use them. Anything that is left after that week is either sold, donated, or trashed.

They call it a 'Packing Party.' I did it after moving to a new, cheaper, apartment, and unloaded nearly half of my stuff! It was so liberating that I am trying to dwindle my remaining stuff in half again.

Thanks for the link!  Really cool!

Clearing out our "junk room" has really got me itching to pare down more things.  I need to talk to Mr. Eva first, but maybe tonight we can start collecting more items to donate...

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
We have the date for a huge consignment sale near us.  August 16-18.  My wife has done two of the last three. This time, though, we can get rid of a lot that we kept while we waited for our second child (over 3.5 years --  I would have rather not kept it, but we did).  We will be able to get rid of up to 75 items of clothes and like 200 items overall.  Anything that doesn't sell, gets donated.

We cleaned out our kitchen and are donating old sets of dishes, serving dishes we don't use, and other things.

We have been getting rid of stuffed animals that were saved for various reasons, clothes, memorabilia, and clothes.

I'm still looking for something to do with my two dvd players, vcr (will probably trash), 300 disc cd changer, and dual cassette deck.  Ugh.  I so don't want to just trash those.  Sometimes I hate electronics :-)

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »
I'm still looking for something to do with my two dvd players, vcr (will probably trash), 300 disc cd changer, and dual cassette deck.  Ugh.  I so don't want to just trash those.  Sometimes I hate electronics :-)

Price them cheap/free on craigslist, or put them on Freecycle.  There are always people looking for that kind of stuff.  Especially if they still work.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

Price them cheap/free on craigslist, or put them on Freecycle.  There are always people looking for that kind of stuff.  Especially if they still work.

Actually found a thrift shop that will actually take them for donations.  a few others wouldn't, but this one said they would.  So I'm going to take them over there.  I'd rather donate things then deal with craiglist/ebay.   I might not get as much back, but I just feel better doing it.  I know it sounds silly.

I actually wish my wife would donate more of our baby stuff/young kids stuff than trying to sell it. 

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:10 AM »
Sold $85 worth of stuff at our yard sale this past weekend.
Packed up some clothes for consignment, waiting to hear their offer.

Still need to sell: cloth diapers, Rock Band drums and mic (if we had the guitar, we might still be playing it!), DVDs amazon will buy back, and CDs that I won't miss -- does anyone have any ideas for where to sell CDs?

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
I took 2 boxes and a bag to donate today! After downsizing to half the house I owned 3 years ago, it has been a constant battle to sell/donate excess items. I also finally acknowledged the fact that I did not have the time and money to devote to my reef aquarium and sold it. Of course, I took a loss on it, but I stopped the huge gaping hole in my finances it created. It was a huge stress reliever too. I have really had an epiphany lately - more items = more stress.

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2013, 06:19:58 AM »

Still need to sell: cloth diapers, Rock Band drums and mic (if we had the guitar, we might still be playing it!), DVDs amazon will buy back, and CDs that I won't miss -- does anyone have any ideas for where to sell CDs?

Amazon has a trade-in program for CDs and other media.  I'm not sure how well they pay, and I'm pretty sure you get the money in the form of gift cards.  If you shop on Amazon semi-regularly, it might be worth looking into just because it's an easy one-stop solution.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »

Amazon has a trade-in program for CDs and other media.  I'm not sure how well they pay, and I'm pretty sure you get the money in the form of gift cards.  If you shop on Amazon semi-regularly, it might be worth looking into just because it's an easy one-stop solution.

Given the value of some of those, I wonder if you do better donating and getting some tax relief as well.

StaceStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
This thread has inspired me to do another purge of our household.

So far I have:

6-8 books to donate
3 books to sell (Should be able to get $10+ for them on Amazon)
1 bridesmaids dress to sell (listed on ebay)
3 shirts to donate

Plan on doing a more thorough purge in the next few days! I looove getting decluttered!

Mozactly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
I just cleared out most of my yarn stash and sold it for $20. It was mostly odds and ends, leftover yarn from projects long finished.

I have more room and a fresh $20 bill in my pocket!

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2013, 08:18:03 AM »

Given the value of some of those, I wonder if you do better donating and getting some tax relief as well.

Thanks! I will check out Amazon. They have some decent prices for some of the DVDs I want to get rid of. I don't itemize my taxes, so charitable giving doesn't give me any tax benefits :/

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Just listed my first ever item on eBay!  A handbag that I kept because I paid a lot for it 10+ years ago, but only used a few times.  It's been in a storage bin on the tippy top shelf of my closet for at least 3 years.  Hope someone buys it & actually uses it!
Have 2 more bags to list, then it's dress time.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2013, 10:09:53 PM »
Actually found a thrift shop that will actually take [the electronics] for donations.  a few others wouldn't, but this one said they would.  So I'm going to take them over there.  I'd rather donate things then deal with craiglist/ebay.   I might not get as much back, but I just feel better doing it.  I know it sounds silly.

I'm so glad you donated those rather than trashing them! One of my favorite possessions is an overhead projector that was donated to me from a school. Someone will always find that outdated stuff awesome and useful.

In clutter-reduction news, I've worked up the courage to sell 50+ of my book stash to a used book store. Books are awesome to have, but if I don't read them at least once a year, it's not worthwhile to own rather than borrow from the library. I found it's really satisfying to write down what you had, so you can check it out later. Still haven't worked out the art supply situation...

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

In clutter-reduction news, I've worked up the courage to sell 50+ of my book stash to a used book store. Books are awesome to have, but if I don't read them at least once a year, it's not worthwhile to own rather than borrow from the library. I found it's really satisfying to write down what you had, so you can check it out later. Still haven't worked out the art supply situation...

I completely agree. Once I started letting go of books, I had so much more space, and moving was a LOT easier. I also started to use goodreads, and write little reviews of the book just for myself. It's better than having the physical reminder of having the book b/c it takes up less space! (I don't know about you, but sometimes I forget whether I've read a book or not)  At this point, I have 1 full bookshelf of books, basically divided up evenly between "favorite books," "reference books," and "books to read."

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Woo hoo! My husband and I spent 2 hours going through crap, packing up our winter clothes, etc, and came up with a huge pile of clothes & stuff that we can donate or sell on ebay/craigslist!
the apartment was feeling a little cluttery, and it is SO MUCH BETTER now! 
It's easier for me to think in a more spare environment.
I think we'll be doing another purge sometime this summer.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
Woo hoo! My husband and I spent 2 hours going through crap, packing up our winter clothes, etc, and came up with a huge pile of clothes & stuff that we can donate or sell on ebay/craigslist!
the apartment was feeling a little cluttery, and it is SO MUCH BETTER now! 
It's easier for me to think in a more spare environment.
I think we'll be doing another purge sometime this summer.

Sounds wonderful! I am doing theproject333 and whittled my current wardrobe down to 33 items (does not include socks, underthings). While I figured out my 33 items, I purged my closet. SO got inspired and so now we have a pile from both of our closets.

This all means I do not need my dresser, so that will be listed on ebay or Craig's List at some point. The type of dresser I have is going for $400 on ebay right now. Woot!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
got rid of a carful of crap over the weekend. it's like peeling an onion -- i keep finding new levels of shit to get rid of.

all of this de-cluttering is making the process of packing for our upcoming move MUCH easier.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
Just sold my first ever item on eBay :).  A handbag I haven't used in years, sold for $41!  I paid $130 for it new 10+ yrs ago....

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:12 AM »
Just sold my first ever item on eBay :).  A handbag I haven't used in years, sold for $41!  I paid $130 for it new 10+ yrs ago....

Awesome! I have yet to sell anything on ebay. I'm a little nervous about it. We have Rock Band drums for PS2 that need to get out of the house. I'm not sure if I should craigslist it or ebay it. I think I'd rather the anonymity of sending it to someone instead of meeting up with random strangers at my house, who may or may not buy it. But I'm nervous that all the ebay / paypal fees are going to make it not worth my time.