Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850049 times)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #650 on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »
Listed bunk beds on Craigslist! Progress. 

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #651 on: October 04, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
I just came across this great article:

http://www.everynothingwonderful.com/2011/01/5-tips-to-innovate-your-organization.html

That was a great article, thanks for sharing! After reading it I promptly went to the kitchen and pulled out the two spatulas that I hate to cook with and put them in the donate box.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #652 on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
I just came across this great article:

http://www.everynothingwonderful.com/2011/01/5-tips-to-innovate-your-organization.html

That was a great article, thanks for sharing! After reading it I promptly went to the kitchen and pulled out the two spatulas that I hate to cook with and put them in the donate box.

Well done!

I threw out more of my photos. I would like to have none except for a few from our wedding but I can't quite pull the plug yet. I would love to just have stuff for living in the here and now. Being pulled back into past feelings (even positive ones) just because I looked at or held an item disturbs my equilibrium.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: October 04, 2014, 08:57:41 PM »
Has anyone else seen the show called "Consumed" that I linked to up-thread? It is pretty motivating, actually. I just watched the show I linked to and the host comes into the incredibly cluttered home and helps the people get rid of loads of their stuff. There are lots of other episodes as well.

The homeowners have to pack up all the contents of their home except basic furniture, a place setting each, a few pots and pans, and 10 non-essential items of their choice. Then we see them enjoying their peaceful, simple home for a few weeks.

Then a few weeks after that, they go to a warehouse where all of their stuff is unpacked and sitting there. They have to get rid of a huge amount of it.

Just thought others might enjoy it too!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: October 05, 2014, 04:34:20 AM »
I will have to watch Consumed, I watch Hoarding: Buried Alive all the time and that motivates me too.

I actually decluttered my kitchen utensil drawer last week, there was one serving spoon that I don't think I have even touched in the whole time I've had it in there.:D

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: October 05, 2014, 04:37:54 AM »
Jordanread, yep, the foam cushions are for a window seat and will be returned with new fabric instead of the ripped and stained old stuff.

1967mama, I will check out that show Consumed, it sound so liberating. 

Astatine, I have excess photos too.  Do you scan them at all?  I need to set and toss and then decide what to do with what is left.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #656 on: October 05, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »
Astatine, great article! 

I love this quote:

"Anything that takes up space in your home, in your drawers, or on your computer takes up a space in your mind, your vision, and your emotions: do you really want to waste time, emotions, or space on a bottle you kept simply because it might be useful again? Or would you rather be rid of it and leave more space for creativity?"

My mind feels so free today after emptying the house of 90% of the excess!  Woohoo! I felt such wonder looking in at the newly cleared space when I got up.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #657 on: October 05, 2014, 04:50:33 AM »
And Astatine, the following is a brilliant quote from your article up-thread!  Thanks so much for these nuggets:

Procrastination is clutter.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #658 on: October 05, 2014, 05:07:25 AM »

Astatine, I have excess photos too.  Do you scan them at all?  I need to set and toss and then decide what to do with what is left.

No, because of this:

Astatine, great article! 

I love this quote:

"Anything that takes up space in your home, in your drawers, or on your computer takes up a space in your mind, your vision, and your emotions: do you really want to waste time, emotions, or space on a bottle you kept simply because it might be useful again? Or would you rather be rid of it and leave more space for creativity?"

My mind feels so free today after emptying the house of 90% of the excess!  Woohoo! I felt such wonder looking in at the newly cleared space when I got up.

I'm going to go through and delete most of my photos at some point. It doesn't take up physical space but it takes up mental space for sure.

Getting rid of photos is a slow ongoing process for me. I started 10 years ago!! And I'm still going. I wish I hadn't got a whole bunch of photos printed out a year or two ago, damnit.

Going through electronic photos is slow because it's so easy to take so many with digital cameras. I liked my old camera that only held like 200 photos, which was a great discipline to hold to on a week-long trip. I've stopped using my camera and only take phone photos, and only ones that I like to share on social media or send to hubby. Still, too many photos!! It's frustrating having so many. It's too easy to take photos these days.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: October 05, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »
I just watched a couple of episodes of Consumed and it was good. It's one of those programmes where you cry at the end when they do the big reveal of their new, improved home.:)

Some men came round to take some stuff that we left in our drive but there is still junk to go to the tip. I'm going to look through my house once more to see if there's anything I can add to the pile.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #660 on: October 05, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
Starting to fill my Amazon box with give-away; inspired by the 'too many coffee mugs!' mention upthread, I went there first.  I tossed what used to be my favorite go-cup but a piece inside the mug cracked so it leaks (and I threw away the busted part so I can't even fix it). So I've moved a broken go-cup with me to at least 2 homes. Wtf? It was an amazing mug that is broken, I haven't used in 3 years, and is now in the trash.  7 other perfectly good mugs / go-cups are in my box. When I get back from a 2-week conference/vacation with just a duffel bag of clothes later this month, it will be easy to fill the other half, I bet.

Also, I love Consumed! Will have to throw an episode of that on later today and pull out more things.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #661 on: October 05, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »
I am making real progress! This Saturday I am taking boxes and boxes and boxes of crafting, knitting, and quilting supplies to a flea market to sell them. Whatever I can't sell, I am donating. It's NOT coming back into the house.

So excited.

CU Tiger, how did it go at the flea market?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #662 on: October 05, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Hubby has just half-filled a box with old magazines.

We're about to get his stuff (A LOT OF STUFF) out of storage and I'm keen to clear the decks as much as possible before we get swamped with boxes. Luckily we're able to get the removalists to drop off most of the furniture at a garage sale on the way home but it will still be SO MUCH STUFF. I'm quite intimidated tbh, but it will save us $3k per year so we're sucking it up and dealing with it. eep.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #663 on: October 05, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
I am making real progress! This Saturday I am taking boxes and boxes and boxes of crafting, knitting, and quilting supplies to a flea market to sell them. Whatever I can't sell, I am donating. It's NOT coming back into the house.

So excited.

It was great. I came home with $32 - which does not sound all that impressive until you consider I made it in sales that averaged 50 cents to one dollar. I paid for half the spot and got rid of so much stuff! At the end a woman asked me how much for all the remaining fabric and bought it for $8.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: October 05, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »
Wow - throwing on that consumed show sure is a kick in the butt! I'm pretty sure we are considered minimalists compared to many of the families featured - but We still have too much stuff. Part of our problem is it is a 2 hour drive to even a remotely big city, don't have a recycling program or facilities in town and tend to bring stuff into the house "just in case"

But I went through our kitchen, linen closet and storage cupboard today and got a couple of boxes to donate and a garbage bag so progress was made :)

Love hearing how everyone else is doing!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #665 on: October 05, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
Went through my dresser and got rid of a pile of clothes.  I organized my drawers and it's awesome to be able to see things in there better so I wear more of what I own.  Didn't find something I was missing though, unfortunately (last seen on an overnight trip so it might sadly be gone forever).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: October 05, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
Getting ready for my Wednesday pick up of stuff for the thrift store! (see link up-thread -- its in Canada) What a great motivator it is to know that a truck is coming in a few days to take away as much stuff as I can get out of here by then! I have currently sent my boys upstairs with a shoe box and yet another Amazon box to fill up with toys and outgrown clothes. 

Who knew decluttering could be so exciting! haha!

I'm glad that some of you have had a chance to watch "Consumed!" Imagine living in one of those sparse, simplistic, cleaned out homes? AHHHHHH! Blissful!

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #667 on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
5th box of mostly never-read books donated to the local library today. Now to attack the overflowing linen closet...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:56:02 PM by C. K. »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: October 06, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
C.K. That's so great! I like MMM's theory that you can borrow MOST books from the library anytime (even if its inter-library loan and takes a while to get to you). THEY can store the books for us! haha! Here's a link to MMM's article on using the library -- I really enjoyed this one!

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/08/get-rich-with-the-library/

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #669 on: October 06, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »

So excited.

It was great. I came home with $32 - which does not sound all that impressive until you consider I made it in sales that averaged 50 cents to one dollar. I paid for half the spot and got rid of so much stuff! At the end a woman asked me how much for all the remaining fabric and bought it for $8.

That's great! Don't you love the feeling of multiple wins: reduce your clutter, make some money, and let others use and enjoy the stuff!  I've had some eBay sales lately and am always happy to receive feedback saying the person loves the item. :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #670 on: October 06, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
So, yesterday was the final push to clear and then clean the worst clutter area in the house (plus some things from the garage and cellar).  My DH leapt in with gusto and took trips to the dump and chopped up furniture with his bare hands (just kidding he used a giant mallet thing). 

Houston, we have a floor!!!!!  Things look so light filled and airy and spacious!

And…when we were clearing I had put a bunch of stuff on top of my desk so now I have that to go through this morning.

And…when we were clearing, we put a bunch of paper that should be kept in two boxes and put them in a closet.  So this winter I will be scanning and doing minor filing.

And…when we were clearing we put things to be repaired in the garage.

Keeping in mind that amazing quote  "Procrastination is clutter" I have made some deadlines for the remaining clutter.  We have things to be darned, new fabric to be sewn into things like curtains, furniture to repair, antique tchochkes to repair, a bookshelf to build to give the books we are keeping a home, a workshop area to set up properly so I can reach tools and paint and drop cloths etc, and the dreaded shed to go through.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #671 on: October 06, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »
Today someone was talking about getting something new and I practically shuddered.

Are you all feeling the revulsion at the thought of bringing anything in?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #672 on: October 06, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
Today someone was talking about getting something new and I practically shuddered.

Hell yes. Tupperware is the exception but yes. Do not want more stuff ever again. Getting rid of stuff is such a huge motivator for consuming less and spending less. It's one of the best ways IMO to deprogram from the consumerist mindset.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #673 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »

Hell yes. Tupperware is the exception but yes. Do not want more stuff ever again. Getting rid of stuff is such a huge motivator for consuming less and spending less. It's one of the best ways IMO to deprogram from the consumerist mindset.

Haha Tupperware is also my exception.

Last night when I got home from work I spent a solid hour on sorting through and clearing out old paperwork. I need to set aside an hour a few times a week, and I'll be there in no time!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #674 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:30 AM »
Some guys came to take away lots of junk today. They called up to me as I was looking out the window saying that they would use some of it so it wasn't junk to them.:D

Some things have also been given to my husband's family. It's such a freeing feeling.:)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #675 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:19 AM »
On Sunday I went through our file cabinet and got rid of old paperwork and files that we no longer need. The box they filled was about 9 inches x 12 inches x 30 inches. Husband shredded them for me.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #676 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
Right before I left for the week, I put a couple fancy planters out by the street with a free sign.  Hopefully they'll be gone when I get home on Friday.  Also sold a fairly obscure text book on Amazon.  Gave my bento lunch jar set to my dad while he was here.

Have two large, overflowing boxes in the basement that need to get transported to the thrift store soon.

This weekend I'll be incorporating a couple pieces of foam into a useful seat cushion for my tack trunk.

Really need to take a run at destroying the electronics clutter soon, and sell my espresso machine, which I rarely use, and takes up too much space on the kitchen counter.

LisaCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Balancing finances, health and life
« Reply #677 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:52 PM »
Keeping in mind that amazing quote  "Procrastination is clutter" .....

I love this quote.  I never thought about it this way, but it's so true.  thank you. :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »
Loaded all my boxes out onto the front porch for pickup in the morning! heehaw~!

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #679 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:31 PM »
Over the weekend I took some good quality dresses to the 'designer op shop'. Unfortunately they only bought two of them, but it's better than nothing.

I packed up two large garbage bags of clothes, a big box of unwanted kitchen gifts, three unwanted vases and every plastic flower in the house and DH took them to the op shop today.

(Why oh why did I go through a phase of buying plastic flowers, photo frames and cushions when I was younger? Now I have to get rid of them all.)

We are donating our Xmas Tree to DS childcare centre tomorrow because we never put it up and it takes up so much space in the cupboard.

We have gotten rid of so much stuff and it feels great to see it leave the house, but it sometimes feels like we've barely scratched the surface!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #680 on: October 07, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Woohoo finally sold my red wool duffel coat on eBay today!  Hopefully I can move dh's vintage Levi's jackets next.  Arranged to give away a pair of too small breeches to a girl at the barn.  Also hereby committing to sell at least 4 pair of shoes and my espresso machine on ebay when I get home. Maybe the Singer sewing machine too.

BigBigote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Alright, fine - you guys are way too motivating... I have now put in the give-away pile a pair of shoes that look practically brand new, look really good on, and are uncomfortable as hell so I always avoid wearing them but feel obligated to keep ...because they look good and I've basically never worn them since buying them two years ago.  The guilt is real!

Phew!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #682 on: October 08, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
We're moving in a month, so I need to get serious about getting rid of stuff.  I don't know how we've acquired so many new things since our move last year. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: October 08, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
LOL, Big Bigote! Yes I'm finding this very motivating too!

malaprop, and the amazon box technique is working! This morning a truck came and took away a whole porch-full of amazon boxes! I still have a loooong way to go, but I am finding that baby steps to decluttering are really helpful. Otherwise, I am paralyzed by the enormity of the task :-/

Taking a break from decluttering for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend but will be back at it next week!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: October 09, 2014, 04:16:02 AM »
I'm dealing with abstract clutter - digital photos. Part of me would like to delete nearly all of them! Just keep some wedding ones. But somehow I can't pull the trigger. So I'm doing a half-assed deleting some in each folder. At least I have nothing older than 2009 thanks to the last big electronic decluttering I did. I've never regretted getting rid of/deleting anything so far - why can't I just live in the present?? Ugh. Brains. They overthink things.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #685 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:12 AM »
I gave away a whole box of Bicycle Times magazines... I really like that 'zine, but there's so many ads for ridiculously overpriced stuff, so I let my subscription expire. Reclaimed a whole shelf on my bookshelf.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanksgiving weekend is a great time to declutter - think of all the cookware that is only for holiday cooking.  If you don't use it for Thanksgiving dinner, you won't use it for Christmas - it can go.  It is also traditionally cottage-closing weekend, so can be designated as get the yard ready for winter weekend as well.  And if family are coming home, there are extra bodies to help.  ;-)

Other decluttering: My DD just broke up with her boyfriend - she and a friend are looking for an apartment together.  I am hoping that a pile of kitchen/bath stuff will be of use to her.  If not, it is being donated.  I needed it at one point, but not now. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #687 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
I am starting to look over my clothes with an eye to tossing.  Then of course yesterday I wore an old shirt that is destined to be tossed and all my friends exclaimed how good I look in it.  Maybe I will keep that one…

What was I thinking acquiring all this stuff?  And wow, how free it is without some of it.  I returned more stuff to people, this lot had been left at my house yesterday for a potluck and I just drove it all to its homes immediately today and felt the relief viscerally. 

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #688 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
Read all 15 pages of this thread- dang do I feel motivated!

During college I accumulated a lot of video games (not like I had time to play them - just wishful thinking!), so now I'm selling them because now that I have a job, I don't have the interest in playing them- go figure. On average, I net about $10 per game (selling on eBay). ^____^

I offered the following deal to my boyfriend, who also has a ton of video games: if he lets me sell the games, we'll use the profit to buy him a Spanish guitar (which he has been begging to buy). I told him in order to take the deal, he has agree to pare down his collection to a dozen games. He's still mulling it over, ... ^,<

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #689 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:37 PM »
I got rid of our mop! It rarely gets used, we had no place to store it, and our place is so small that it's just as easy to clean the floors by hand with a big sponge.

I will have to watch Consumed, I watch Hoarding: Buried Alive all the time and that motivates me too.

Agreed, I feel bad about the schadenfreude I get from Hoarders. But I can't stop.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #690 on: October 10, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
I offered the following deal to my boyfriend, who also has a ton of video games: if he lets me sell the games, we'll use the profit to buy him a Spanish guitar (which he has been begging to buy). I told him in order to take the deal, he has agree to pare down his collection to a dozen games. He's still mulling it over, ... ^,<

There's a gauntlet that's like this - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/sell-your-junk-to-buy-something-nice/ - It's not very active but I love the idea.

Thanks for the link, Malaprop! :D

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: October 10, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I've been reading this thread for the last few days and I love it so far!  I'd like to join in!

Yesterday I threw out some old bras and socks that I had replaced, and therefore never wore because they were old/holey.  Not sure why I was keeping them.  I also sorted through a bunch of the make up/hair stuff I've some how accumulated despite the fact that I only wear make up to weddings and never really style my hair (pony tails and buns = awesome).  I had been storing those things in my linen closet because they were so rarely used, but now I've reclaimed almost an entire shelf so now my kitten's blankets and laundry supplies fit!  I've also ditched a bunch of books in the past month, but I still have a ton of paper clutter.  I looked into the doxie scanner that someone posted and found one for relatively cheap on Ebay.  I actually don't have much inflow of papers to keep, so I think I will try to sell it after I'm done using it (or maybe pass it along).  Last thing I did was take my well worn boots to a shoe repair store.  The soles/heel were totally worn, but the leather (I think?) part was still in good, if dirty, condition.  They were actually a gift I got years ago, so this is the first bit of money (38$) that I will be spending on them and its cheaper than buying new boots of the same quality!

Next steps:
  • Sort through desk junk drawer
  • Try to organize/consolidate/sell kitchen items so that I can get rid of an awkward shelving unit
  • Sell/give away a big cart that I have used once in 3 years
  • Get rid of clothes (I know I've got a ton I never wear)
  • Sell some boots that I don't wear/are redundant
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:08:33 PM by ash7962 »

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #692 on: October 10, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »
Y'all are inspiring me. I am going to list some things on craigslist and Freecycle tonight!

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #693 on: October 10, 2014, 10:04:13 PM »
I'm not having much luck with selling things on Gumtree lately, so I've just been donating stuff to the Op Shop. I feel a little bad that we are giving away gifts that people gave us, but then I realise that the are just accumulating dust and it's better for someone to get some use from them.

This weekend, I plan to get rid of about 20 books I haven't been able to sell. Hoping some friends will want the freebies, otherwise they are getting donated.

I'm also going to sell some of my toddler's bigger toys that he no longer plays with. Toys seem to be the biggest clutter in our living areas, so keeping them minimal is key.

I've also cleaned out our linen closet this weekend. Undecided what to do with the excess hand towels and sheet sets we seem to have. What's a reasonable number to keep?

Cookie

« Reply #694 on: October 11, 2014, 07:23:46 AM »
I'm joining in! I realized I have no room in my storage unit for my bicycle when winter comes. Besides a chair and Christmas decorations, I cannot remember what is in there. Hopefully that makes it easier!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #695 on: October 11, 2014, 07:30:13 AM »

I've also cleaned out our linen closet this weekend. Undecided what to do with the excess hand towels and sheet sets we seem to have. What's a reasonable number to keep?
My opinion about this is 2 sets per bed that you use daily, and one set per bed that is used only occasionally.  Then I keep a good sized stack of pillow cases.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #696 on: October 11, 2014, 09:48:15 PM »

My opinion about this is 2 sets per bed that you use daily, and one set per bed that is used only occasionally.  Then I keep a good sized stack of pillow cases.

This seems like a good rule of thumb to me.  We upgraded to a King bed a couple years ago and now have all these Queen sheets and really only need one set for the guest bedroom.  However, that's a lot of perfectly good fabric, so I'm trying to think of some good uses for it, rather than just carting them all to the thrift store.    We actually have four sets for the king bed now; 1 set that kind of sucks and we don't use, 1 good set, 1 OK set, and now some flannel sheets for winter.  Should just get rid of that sucky set.  I tried repairing the fitted sheet once but the corners keep tearing out.

I just got done listing a couple more things on Ebay and got better photos of an item that wasn't selling.  Also used up some scrap wood and leftover foam and batting to make a nice padded seat for my tack trunk.  It's nice to see clutter being absorbed into something useful.

fireferrets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #697 on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »

In my home, we keep one set per bed - otherwise, I noticed the "dirty" set sits in the laundry for a looong time before it gets washed (and only then when it was critically needed). Having only one set keeps us honest when it comes to getting it washed.
As for towels, there's one for each of us and two "fancy" towels on hand for guests - same reason as the bed sheets.

Much like Zaga, we keep extra pillow cases around to change more frequently. (^_^) I think we have one extra case per pillow.

I have to invent tricks like this because we are lazy bums. (-_-)'

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2014, 02:57:27 PM »
I have kept old shirts from summer camp, school and university in boxes. I keep saying I'll send them off to be made into quilts to make them useful, but I haven't done it yet. Maybe by the end of the year...

This is almost what I was about to say. Very good advice.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
I've got some old bed sheets as well.  I plan on turning one of them into a laundry bag that I can hang in my tiny bathroom as a hamper.