Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850126 times)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #600 on: September 22, 2014, 06:48:39 AM »
^That is a really good idea to use books as a side table.:)

My decluttering has slowed down as I got rid of so much stuff recently.

I just went through the drawers and threw away an old bottle of hand lotion, a disposable camera that I will never use, an old cassette tape (!) and a toothbrush.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »
How is everyone doing?

I have been making some huge progress, due to having more time after quitting my toxic job.

I went through ALL Hubby's and my clothing. Weird experience, because we aren't shoppers, what we buy is always second hand (except socks and underwear) but we still had a ton of clothing - mostly because we are both the sentimental type. In my case, the last couple of years of work have been so stressful and toxic I have gained weight - and I have also been keeping a lot of clothing because I can't get it again, as it was handed down or purchased overseas or whatever. Hubby had a lot of clothing from his University days he has had a hard time parting with.

I have also been dealing with the 6! garbage bags of second hand clothing I bought for $40.00. I resold most of it for a profit, got at least another couple years worth of clothing out of it for myself, gave away a bunch to several deserving ladies who never spend any money on themselves and still had quite a bit left over.

Out of my house went two garbage bags full of clothing for rags and or art projects at our local  art centre and three bags to out local thrift store and another two to be given to specific people I know can use them.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #602 on: September 24, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »
I haven't been paying attention this thread because I poo-poo the whole minimalism anti-clutter thing. Yet, I know that I am messy and have a hard time getting rid of things. 
So, I'm pleased that I threw out a bag of cables I was going to give to an outfit I occasionally work for when I saw them next... but they haven't given me any work in eight months.
I've managed to foist about 10 books on other people who expressed an interest (including extra on a younger colleague who celebrates big paychecks by buying a bunch of books on Amazon). And have a couple others I promised to mail someone out of town.
A friend suffered a mysterious spine issue that's preventing her from walking. So I sent her a box of random crap from my place that I thought she might like. And brownies, in case she doesn't like any of the crap.

eta: oh! And I got as far as putting an old t-shirt in our bag-to-be-donated. Who knows if I'll actually let it get out the door. It's one of those "babydoll" t-shirts that's really tight around the shoulders so it's uncomfortable plus it's a graphic tee which I pretty much never wear.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:20:04 AM by sheepstache »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »
sheepstache--

MESSIES UNITE!

:-)

Nancy

« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
I'm doing this. I feel like my small apartment is getting cluttered, so it's time to donate stuff. My problem is that I like to repurpose items to extend their life and avoid waste, but I end up with a lot of half finished or to do project piles. I'm going to try and remember that a donated item might end up being enjoyed in its current state by someone else.

Tonight I'm donating clothes!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2014, 05:29:20 PM »
FINALLY!

I got a bit of energy to do some decluttering today and filled up 3 Amazon boxes of stuff that I've been dragging around for years! So freeing!

I'm excited about my personal Amazon box challenge, especially since I just placed a bunch of orders for Christmas and bday presents. Lots of boxes coming in = lots of boxes going out! One down, about 499 to go, but hey, its a start.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #606 on: September 26, 2014, 05:03:44 AM »
Hopefully I'll have the time this weekend to sort out some of the drawers that have magically filled up with junk.

On the other hand, I hope I don't have the time, because it's supposed to be the last weekend with truly good weather for a while. I'd rather enjoy the outside in that case. Those drawers aren't running away (hopefully).

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #607 on: September 26, 2014, 06:47:18 AM »
I love my house; I think it's beautiful, inspiring, smallish by today's standards, filled with used/repurposed/repaired/built by friends furniture.  Not cluttered, too much.  Our attic, garage and basement are not stuffed with too much unused stuff.

But.  This week I found two stacks of plates on my utility shelves in the basement, where the canning jars live with the turkey roaster pan;  these are those old Wedgwood jasperware Christmas and mothers day annual plates my MIL had and gave to DH saying they were "worth" something.  Maybe back in 2001.  I am shocked!  So I have never done Ebay, but it seems people pay upwards of $30 a piece for some of these!  I NEED to learn how to deaccession these ASAP.  Any takers?

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #608 on: September 26, 2014, 08:55:24 AM »
I have been bitten by the purge bug.  All of a sudden I want a clear house, with nothing extra.

My areas of clutter include two closets worth of clothes in four sizes, at least 30 broken things such as chairs, boxes, a plant stand, etc., dozens of pieces of framed artwork (inherited 19 years ago) in a closet, a cellar full, a garage full and a shed full. 

The most enervating part is that last spring I got all the paper, files, journals and binders from everywhere in the house and put them on a table to sort and it grew until it takes up about16 sq ft  and drains me.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #609 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »
Also, I have been helping friends and family members to get rid of stuff and it is a real education.  Not because they are hoarders, they are not, but because I don't want to grow old with over 50% of my space inhabited by broken, unused materials or objects.  The emotional drain of all that stuff is too much.  And I don't want to be in my 80s and directing young people to get rid of cellars full of weird things that might get used…but never did.  That generation had very little and knew that saving things for the future would possibly save them money.  But now that they are too old to do their own repairs all that stuff weighs on them.

I have been ferrying things to the dump and the thrift store over and over for my elders.

It gives me a new perspective on our own house.  I dream of a swept clear garage and cellar floor, visible floors in the house with nary a pile, a place for everything and everything in its place, all paper dealt with at the door and everything in good order.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: September 26, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
My inlaws are downsizing and insisting on giving us the other half of the dish set they first gave us when we moved in together.  It was appreciated then, but when we married we got our own dishes and we really don't have room for more.  But they 'can't' just donate them....I don't understand this sentimentality around objects, it is literally just passing on a physical burden to your children/loved ones.

I'm dorkily excited to revisit my wardrobe when I do my seasonal clothing switch.  I got rid of a LOT of crap in the spring -- about 6 bags worth, and I thought I didn't have many clothes -- but am hoping to get serious with a minimalist wardrobe with this switch.  I did also just buy some new clothes, but they're awesome, so I'm embracing it.

Also, trying to figure out what to do about kitchen stuff.  I probably don't need a frittata pan - I can't remember the last time I even made a frittata - but everything in my kitchen is well-stored so I don't really feel an emotional drain there.  I think I am going to pare down our coffee mugs to just the ones I love, I have really ridiculous and specific standards for mugs and about half of our collection bums me out when I have to use it.  DH does not agree on this front though so I will have to do it stealthily! 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
  I think I am going to pare down our coffee mugs to just the ones I love, I have really ridiculous and specific standards for mugs and about half of our collection bums me out when I have to use it. 
  I dream of a swept clear garage and cellar floor, visible floors in the house with nary a pile, a place for everything and everything in its place, all paper dealt with at the door and everything in good order.

I love both these lines. Feels like therapy to read things like these on this particular post. I live in a terribly cluttered house with many children and I'm quite overwhelmed with our stuff.

But I got a good start with some Amazon boxes the other day. They are all 1/2 full on my dining room table.  Maybe I can get them done by the end of the weekend? I also gave my son a smallish Amazon box and challenged him to fill it with stuff from his room. We shall see.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #612 on: September 26, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
I dream of a swept clear garage and cellar floor, visible floors in the house with nary a pile, a place for everything and everything in its place, all paper dealt with at the door and everything in good order.
Sounds like heaven :)

I despise clutter but I live in a too-big house with an ridiculous amount of built in storage so it manages to hide in ways that wouldn't bother a normal person but makes me crazy when I do stumble across it

Hidden clutter is still clutter. It's emotional/mental clutter, not visual clutter.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #613 on: September 27, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »
  I think I am going to pare down our coffee mugs to just the ones I love, I have really ridiculous and specific standards for mugs and about half of our collection bums me out when I have to use it. 

I love both these lines. Feels like therapy to read things like these on this particular post. I live in a terribly cluttered house with many children and I'm quite overwhelmed with our stuff.

But I got a good start with some Amazon boxes the other day. They are all 1/2 full on my dining room table.  Maybe I can get them done by the end of the weekend?

1967Mama:  Stuff is so overwhelming isn't it?  My sis is bringing me boxes this morning to get a start on the paper.  Getting those Amazon boxes full and out of the house will feel so freeing.  You will float around the house I bet! 

fallstoclimb:  I agree about the mugs.  I am very fussy and certain mugs only get touched when we have a big potluck.  Let us know when they bite the dust.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #614 on: September 27, 2014, 06:16:57 AM »
I have been removing things from rooms where they have been sitting for months and months.  No more stretching roller standing in the corner of the bedroom, no more wrapping paper on a chair, no more random papers on the bedside table.  Felt so good to look around the bedroom this morning now that it is cleared of those things.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: September 27, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Just cleared out another box of books! That's 3 since I started last week! Now we're getting somewhere!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, wintersun..much appreciated.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
Very cool 1967mama,  congrats! 

My family came by today and commented on how fresh and nice the living room looks without so much stuff on the mantelpiece and everywhere else.  Yay!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
Way to go, everyone!

Decluttering is definitely an iterative process. I got rid of around 3/4 of my personal stuff over the last few years and yet I'm still finding stuff to get rid of. Today I'm finding new homes for some art stuff (starting by asking friends who do a lot of drawing/painting) and a heater that we didn't use all winter.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
One way to think of "letting go"/"getting rid" of stuff may be to reframe it as "sharing" it with/"gifting" it to others who need it. At least that's what I suggested to my dad who is trying to get my hoarder mom to let go of some things so they have enough room to get in the door of their house...

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
After many years of trying to decide which of my things I could bear to get rid of, I think I've come upon a "foolproof" method. Essentially deciding what to keep, rather than what to get rid of.

I'm moving to a place less than half the size, and I'm only bringing things I use, or things I really love. And I'm planning to get mostly new furniture, and leaving behind all the old shabby stuff.

I intend to take several months to complete the move, and when I have everything I use or love in the new place, I'll have an "everything must go" sale. Strangers in my house, offering 5 cents on the dollar for my stuff. And I plan to accept their offer. Then a day when everything remaining is free. Come and get it. After that, what remains goes to the dump.

Will it work? It kinda has to. I'll probably wind up bringing more than I should with me, but the majority of it will be gone.

The 580 square foot place will be mine next week. The 1106 foot place plus 2 car garage should be emptied by the end of the year. And for sale soon after that.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »
Oddly, I have gotten rid of more things. What have you people done to me??

Found an old pair of non-leather boots which were completely disintegrating, so that was an easy call. Consolidated some computer discs so I could get rid of one of the cases. Decided enough time had passed to get rid of some gift items we were never going to use. Was going through clothing to be mended and decided one dress was too ill-fitting to be worth the trouble. Gone.

One problem I'm having is last month I discovered a broken mug that needed repair. It had been my favorite mug but I realized since I hadn't missed it for a year, it was probably okay to get rid of. But now I feel bad about it . . . because I have (intact) mugs that I like even less. I find myself thinking, hm, since I still haven't gotten around to trashing these ugly ones, why did I get rid of the one I liked? (Bear in mind, I also have mugs that I like that are not broken.) So, funny how our brains make the connection that since we have some crap, we'd better hold on to all our crap! Or is that just my brain?

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:00 AM »
One way to think of "letting go"/"getting rid" of stuff may be to reframe it as "sharing" it with/"gifting" it to others who need it. At least that's what I suggested to my dad who is trying to get my hoarder mom to let go of some things so they have enough room to get in the door of their house...

Good tip.

...I think I've come upon a "foolproof" method. Essentially deciding what to keep, rather than what to get rid of.

Another good tip.

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: September 29, 2014, 05:55:21 AM »
fallstoclimb:  I agree about the mugs.  I am very fussy and certain mugs only get touched when we have a big potluck.  Let us know when they bite the dust.

Just added two mugs to the donate pile.  DH thinks these are mugs I like to use so brings me tea in them when I request "special mugs" (yes, he brings me tea every night, I'm very lucky), but I actually never liked them due to my specific and ridiculous mug standards, so they are gone.  There are other mugs I don't love but I think DH will get annoyed with me for getting rid of them, we really do need about 8 mugs unless we want to start handwashing them and I'm not that much of a minimalist.  I might slip one in the donate pile and see what happens.

Also switched out my seasonal wardrobe.  I've paired down enough now that it's only about 10 items that I am putting into "storage" (a box in the basement) since everything else has a sensible place.  Began to wonder about setting a goal where I wouldn't have to switch out my wardrobe twice a year at all, but really I don't want to be looking at sweaters in summer or tank tops in winter when I'm getting dressed so I'm not going to pursue that.  It's also a good opportunity to reevaluate my clothes -- I set aside several for the tailor and found holes in one shirt that I trashed.  Overall I'm feeling really good about my closet.

Now, the entire dresser I have for workout/bike commute clothes is another story....but that is all-season wear, which is a different challenge.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #623 on: September 29, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »
I am in the middle of a turf out and have come up for air.  Three carloads to the dump, one carload to the local art teacher, lots of books ready to go to the thrift shop, and suddenly I am exhausted.  I got lots of help this morning which was great.  I am so grateful for strong arms and backs.

My DH got in the mood and cleared his study and there is nothing on the floor in there except furniture- woohoo!

And I emailed a picture of an 8 foot long shelf to the local consignment shop and they want it!  Yay!!!

I am in that halfway place of lots of piles but I know if I come back tomorrow I will have renewed energy.

It is so energising to have other folks here doing the same.  You really rock!!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #624 on: September 29, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
I am pretty sure I copied this from the forum some months back but have lost the poster's name:

"In Peter Walsh’s book “It’s All Too Much”  he focuses on what you want now as opposed to dwelling on unfinished business of the past or potential “maybes” of the future. By making room for life now, you give yourself permission to live optimally in the present, and that often leads to greater productivity and creativity."

Thanks to whoever posted that, I am finding it useful as a motivator.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #625 on: September 29, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
Helped a friend go through her problem area in her closets (cutting down 31 blazers...) and get rid of some on Friday.  She'll be helping me go through my shirts, my main problem area when we can set a date.  Got rid of a random box in my kitchen.  Will continue working on the paper pile (much reduced now).

I love this keeps popping up on my feed and remind me to relinquish and release items to another home.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:02 AM »
I bought a few items recently for my capsule wardrobe (ironically lol) so I have just collected one large rubbish bag of clothing to go to the textile recycling centre near me.

I got rid of some of my hub's old underwear, a dressing gown, cushion, spare curtains and a few things from my wardrobe too.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:04 AM »
Another Amazon box made its way into our "to the thrift store" cupboard! Gave a box to my 13 year old son to fill with his outgrown clothes and toys and he told me he would have no problem filling it.

A friend told me about a company that will come, once a month, and pick up boxes that you leave on your front porch for them and donate them to charity. They even call you a week before and then the night before to remind you! I signed up today. The call a week before will really get me motivated to get cracking!

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:49 AM »
Which company is this? That's awesome!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: September 30, 2014, 06:56:56 AM »

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #630 on: September 30, 2014, 12:02:52 PM »
Common Cents, that is so cool that you have a buddy to help you declutter.

We dropped the 8 foot long shelf off this morning to the consignment store and next is another trip to the dump.  I am loving this!

Weirdly, my sister, my mother and my aunt and my cousin are all doing this at the same time.  Apparently my grandmother was a great one for clearing the decks and getting rid of excess. 

I am so delighted by having the rooms in the house look so clear and light.  What a joy!  Who knew?  Now I have only one room left which has major piles and right now a lot of them are books.  We are going to stand the books on top of the kitchen cupboards for now until we can get a shelf built in.

I was thinking we might need a bigger built in bookcase but I have donated so many books this week that I think that will not be an issue.

Next Up: A gentle request for consumable presents such as veggies seedlings, massage certificates, food and manure.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #631 on: September 30, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
Next Up: A gentle request for consumable presents such as veggies seedlings, massage certificates, food and manure.

omg, yes.  My family is terrible about getting gifts we don't want.  Examples:
- Star Wars jenga (sister)
- Cat necklace (brother)
- Big wine cork lazy susan (mom)  This was $150 or so too!
- Basket with 8 sections to bring things outside for a picnic (mom)

I have used none of them.  Even worse are when the projects take up my time and space too.  My mom wants me to help her lay out the pattern of the wine corks when we visit next, when I already planned a lot of activities, like borrowing her sewing maching to finish a quilt I am making for a wedding present.

I am working on channeling presents to more desired items to avoid more guilt clutter.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #632 on: September 30, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
A quilt is a lovely present.  Lucky friend. 

Piled up more stuff to go this evening:  broken candlesticks, an old cd and tape player, musical rattles, a computer mouse, loads of children's' books.

I am really aware of how much I spent for so long.  Holy Cow!  I see books I bought and never read, must-have long sleeved tops I have never worn, furniture we don't use, several spare jars of spices which we will take years to use up.  And also there is stuff I bought second hand which was in really bad shape when we got it and was throwing good money after bad.  How many barely filled journals can one woman house?  Apparently at least 20.

Unfortunately I just brought a new thing into the house to fulfil my doctor's orders: a bike trainer thing to turn my bicycle into a stationary bike - so I can do doctor prescribed spinning exercises.  It cost less than three months at the gym and then I can sell it once my leg is better. I figure I can get half the price back. 

jordanread

« Reply #633 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:17 PM »
Please ensure manure and food are properly labelled. :-)

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: September 30, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
I got an Amazon box today... and I'm gonna have a ton of fun filling it up again with stuff to get rid of!  Not counting the air-filled bags that came in it, anyway.  Thankfully those are made of recyclable plastic.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »
Yay, tariskat! I have several parcels waiting for me to go pick up (early Xmas shopping) so
I have a ton of decluttering ahead of me too! Yay for Amazon boxes!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #636 on: September 30, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
We've decided to get rid of a large low bookshelf/side table. We were wondering how to rearrange our space after it's gone form our little dining area. SO suggested we put our dining table lengthways against one wall, and then we'd have a clear area. We're going to put a rug on the floor and our beanbag to make it a board games & puzzles area :) so much more useful and fun!

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »
Unfortunately I just brought a new thing into the house to fulfil my doctor's orders: a bike trainer thing to turn my bicycle into a stationary bike - so I can do doctor prescribed spinning exercises.  It cost less than three months at the gym and then I can sell it once my leg is better. I figure I can get half the price back.

These are actually nice to have when the weather is bad and you want a cardio workout.  I often use mine in the winter. 

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #638 on: October 01, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »
I've been so inspired by this thread that yesterday I listed 40 items for sale on eBay and today I dropped off Halloween costume miscellany at the local consignment shop. Getting rid of my Amazon boxes too, and using them to ship the eBay items. Hmm, what should I part with next? :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: October 01, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
I had my teenaged son fill an amazon box of his own things he was ready to part with...divide and conquer, I say!!

Way to go, Practical Magic! Another good use of those amazon boxes!

Exprezchef

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #640 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
I have been on vacation for the past few weeks and decided to tackle the clutter issue in my garage and my sons bedroom (he moved out a few weeks ago). It feels so liberating to get rid of the clutter and hopefully make a few extra bucks with some Craigslist items I want to try and sell. I have always had the anti-clutter mindset but my wife not so much on the same page. (She would disagree with that statement) We moved into our current house ten years ago and there were items in the garage that came with us from our old house. I am pretty sure most of those items were in the garage of my old house as well. ARRRRRR.  What I am not going to attempt to sell is headed to our local Goodwill drop-off in the morning. Whatever does not sell on Craigslist in 30 days will be donated as well. I had to keep reminding my wife that she needed to break the "emotional attachment" to the stuff. The easiest way for me to set everything in motion was to empty the entire garage onto my driveway and set a rule that every box/bag will be opened and everything will be touched. Everything needed a defined purpose or designated location before it went back in. My wife did not like this method because it took us a few days to complete but it worked. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: October 02, 2014, 01:28:51 AM »
Exprezchef,

Laying everything out in the driveway reminded me of this show:

http://www.hgtv.ca/consumed/video/season+2/kerr+family/video.html?v=2389224673&p=1&s=dd#consumed/video

There are several other episodes on the website as well. I'm not sure if this link will work in the USA, but the show is called "Consumed" if you want to try and find it somewhere else online.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #642 on: October 02, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
I am making real progress! This Saturday I am taking boxes and boxes and boxes of crafting, knitting, and quilting supplies to a flea market to sell them. Whatever I can't sell, I am donating. It's NOT coming back into the house.

So excited.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #643 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »
Please ensure manure and food are properly labelled. :-)

Jordanread, I will make sure to keep that in mind!!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #644 on: October 02, 2014, 06:36:54 PM »

These are actually nice to have when the weather is bad and you want a cardio workout.  I often use mine in the winter.

Fallstoclimb,  I am wondering about that.  My DH set it up today and tomorrow if my knee is okay I will test it out.  It could be a keeper!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #645 on: October 02, 2014, 06:40:47 PM »
Today I delivered things that needed servicing: a picture to get glass in the frame, irregular foam cushions that need to be recovered (I am not quite up to that with my sewing yet).

Tomorrow is the final push for getting the excess out.

A Place For Everything and Everything in its Place!

jordanread

« Reply #646 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
Today I delivered things that needed servicing:[...]irregular foam cushions that need to be recovered (I am not quite up to that with my sewing yet).
[...]

Those can be fixed????? If so, it's awesome, but I just went the route of hating my couch.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: October 02, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
I've been silently playing along, and have donated 5 bags of stuff plus a foot spa that I think I used three times in three years, plus thrown out a few bags of junk and recycled a bunch of cardboard. Slow going compared to some of you, but still progress!

I've also discovered a few things packed away that I forgot I owned, like some never-worn jewelry that I bought in Mexico four or five years ago, so that's been exciting!

I haven't been quite as successful at my goal of not acquiring any non-consumable stuff -- we have a baby coming any day now and have bought/been given a number of things for the baby over the last few weeks. Also we need to take my nephew shopping for winter clothes; he moved in with us out here in Denver from California this summer and I don't think he owns anything warmer than a sweatshirt. I'm pretty sure the net amount of stuff we own is still decreasing though.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: October 03, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
This thread is so motivating - I've decided that it's time for another PUSH! of stuff out the door. I really want my space to be calm and uncluttered. Easy to say, hard to achieve.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #649 on: October 03, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!