Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1311241 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5750 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
A friend gave me a personalised mug... personalised as in it has a photo of her dog on it.

>.<

That was . . . a very risky decision. My husband would definitely use it, ironically.

He sounds fun. :) Tell him I'll do him a good deal on a mug!

Don't get me wrong, I love her dog.

But I already have too many mugs. I don't drink tea or coffee so any more than one is too many. :D

The fact that you don't drink coffee or tea makes it even more interesting! My husband currently drinks out of a mug I made at a work event. It looks like a child made it. He thinks it's hilarious. The paint is crooked, the colors are awful. . . I'm clearly not an artist. :-)

@mustachepungoeshere wait... you were given a pug mug? >_<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5751 on: January 17, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
A friend gave me a personalised mug... personalised as in it has a photo of her dog on it.

>.<

That was . . . a very risky decision. My husband would definitely use it, ironically.

But I already have too many mugs. I don't drink tea or coffee so any more than one is too many. :D

The fact that you don't drink coffee or tea makes it even more interesting! My husband currently drinks out of a mug I made at a work event. It looks like a child made it. He thinks it's hilarious. The paint is crooked, the colors are awful. . . I'm clearly not an artist. :-)

@mustachepungoeshere wait... you were given a pug mug? >_<

@marty998, you know far too much! ;)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5752 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Another small box of items donated today - I am killing my declutter maintenance.

I also cleaned up and organized two kitchen drawers!

My craft room / office is the worlds smallest room and for the first time ever it is actually looking quite tidy. It is the only room in my house that is never streamlined because it is so small and I have quite a few necessary items in it. I have accepted it will never be minimal, but tidy is my definite goal.

I have mostly completed my maintenance declutter, now I am spending the rest of the month just organizing and working on putting items in logical locations and thinking about my household work flow.

I have decided instead of once a year, I will do a maintenance declutter every six months. That means in the summer I can work in my unfinished basement when the temperature is optimal.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #5753 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

>.<

Picture please!
Get a free stock and I get one too. (5 min sign-up Robinhood) https://goo.gl/ifD5Mj.

Participate in research studies (surveys), I do the studies during the year, and cash at Xmas time! (Enough to cover presents for my kids) https://www.prolific.ac/p?ref=KN1LG5ME

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5754 on: January 18, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »

>.<

Picture please!

Will get one! As for decluttering, I sold & mailed another eBay item today. Yielding a whopping $4 in profit. But, item gone, and $4 made.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5755 on: January 18, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
I thought I didn't have anything to get rid of yet I filled my car and took it to the thrift store. I am getting rid of a ton of clothes. I probably am down to about a fourth of what I used to have.

Better Late

• Stubble
« Reply #5756 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
3 bags of clothes and a few misguided Xmas items to Goodwill. I spent several hours in the office last night getting rid of paper clutter. Still SO much to do. Trying to figure out if I just set aside a night a  week or ?  Every piece of paper that's left requires some kind of action or follow up.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5757 on: January 19, 2018, 03:09:42 AM »
This weekend we are taking 5 boxes of books, CDs, DVDs and some games (not ours but we said we'd donate them for a friend) to Lifeline, which is a charity that fundraises by selling books etc a few weekends each year. (it's a decades-long institution where I live)

We'll also donating a fancy-pants clock radio that DH bought 10 years ago (still works but doesn't get used any more) and a cat scratch arch thing that a friend gave our cat a month ago, but cat has completely ignored it. Those will go to the big op shop/landfill diversion shed at the rubbish tip.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5758 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:19 AM »
Listed a heap of stuff on Buy Nothing yesterday and it left the house today. Such a good feeling. Listed a heap more today so that should be gone soon :D

Sister gave me a whole heap of storage containers and baskets. Immediately gave the rose gold baskets to a friend (not at all my style, and totally hers); now we're testing the rest of the stuff to see what fits in our wardrobe so we can give away the excess. Looking forward to a more organised wardrobe!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5759 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »

>.<

Picture please!

Will get one! As for decluttering, I sold & mailed another eBay item today. Yielding a whopping $4 in profit. But, item gone, and $4 made.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5760 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
Per your request, please feast your eyes on this artistic masterpiece. Note dripping paint, uneven color, white spaces . . . obviously my best work.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5761 on: January 19, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
Per your request, please feast your eyes on this artistic masterpiece. Note dripping paint, uneven color, white spaces . . . obviously my best work.

That was all on purpose....for artistic effect.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5762 on: January 19, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »

It's difficult to enter into this work because of how the reductive quality of the spatial relationships notates the eloquence of these pieces. I find this work playful because of the way the sublime beauty of the purity of line spatially undermines the remarkable handling of light.  It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the mechanical mark-making visually and conceptually activates the essentially transitional quality.  I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the iconicity of the line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the substructure of critical thinking.

(Critique courtesy of Pixmaven The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator and Random number generator with light editing by yours truly.)
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5763 on: January 19, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »

It's difficult to enter into this work because of how the reductive quality of the spatial relationships notates the eloquence of these pieces. I find this work playful because of the way the sublime beauty of the purity of line spatially undermines the remarkable handling of light.  It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the mechanical mark-making visually and conceptually activates the essentially transitional quality.  I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the iconicity of the line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the substructure of critical thinking.

(Critique courtesy of Pixmaven The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator and Random number generator with light editing by yours truly.)

This all made me deeply happy. I will use this mug with new fondness tomorrow.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5764 on: January 19, 2018, 07:50:52 PM »

Bahahaha!! Amazing review, @With This Herring ... @MaybeBabyMustache, the colours are very pretty! ;)

Today, I got rid of an aerobic step bench (circa Jane Fonda’s Workout, inherited from my grandmother and never used — by me or my grandma, I’d guess) for $25!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5765 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
Sort of decluttering.... I'm visiting parents and am helping Mom use up some cosmetics and perfume. She wouldn't let them go even if they were not her type since they were a gift. But she is happy I'm using them.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5766 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »

I would like to request that you get a deep shadowbox-type picture frame to use as framed shelf for your mug when not in use.  It should have a tiny gold placard with something like this on it:
Synchonicity of Being
MaybeBabyMustache ~ 2007

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Step and MBM!
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Plina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5767 on: January 21, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »

>.<

You can always accidentally drop it so it breaks. :-)

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #5768 on: January 21, 2018, 06:04:14 AM »
I spent the last week doing a major digital declutter. I deleted and organized the mail in my personal email accounts. My goal from now on is to keep my inbox empty and moving anything that is worth saving to a separate folder. Essentially, I'm treating email the same way I treat physical mail and ruthlessly trashing it. I've been unsubscribing from marketing emails for the last several weeks as well to prevent myself from getting more unnecessary junk to process.

I also spent about 3 days deleting old photos on my machine. For a couple of years, I was really into photography and I was taking all of my photos in the camera's native raw format which creates files about 5-6 times a large as a jpeg. I was also really lazy about culling the herd of blurry or poorly composted photos and I ran out of space on my machine. I deleted over 100GB of garbage photos. I'm also thinking about selling my camera gear because I haven't really taken any photos for fun in about a year and a half.
Less is more.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5769 on: January 21, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »

>.<

You can always accidentally drop it so it breaks. :-)

Oh you evil, evil genius!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5770 on: January 21, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
In preparation for tax season, went through our filing cabinets.
-Got rid of a ton of old paperwork. Made a huge stack for shredding
-Found all of our mortgage paperwork for a house that we sold this year. Not sure what exactly we will need for our taxes, but apparently we refi'd 5 times. (Rates dropping.) No wonder we have so much paperwork. I will be thrilled to toss this once we're done with taxes this year.
-Recycled a few papers in the boys room, plus found an item to donate.

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #5771 on: January 21, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
I (finally) got started on my whole-apartment decluttering project today.  I moved in about 2.5 years ago and haven't reassessed my possessions or what goes where since I moved in and unpacked quickly.  Let's see if I can manage to go through the whole apartment before I get busy this summer.

Today I tackled my dining room/office (1 room used for both purposes):

- Organized the heap of papers on my desk.  Shredded and recycled a bunch, but still need to file the "to-file" stack I ended up with.
- Organized everything else on my desk and finally labeled the storage boxes.
- Gave up on ever reading some of the magazines I've accumulated.  Made a pile for recycling, a pile to give to my coworker to read, and a pile of the ones I still actually want to read.  (I save them for plane trips, so that way I'm not tempted to buy a magazine at the airport.)
- Cleared out a little stand-alone cupboard that had been holding random stuff ever since I moved in.  Turned it into overflow kitchen storage for my InstantPot, mixer, and some bowls that had been stored out-of-the way but that I want to use more often now.
- Went through all the drawers of my desk and shelves of my desk and organized them.  Got rid of a few random things, plus a decorative plate a friend gave me awhile back.  (I had been hanging on to it because it was a gift, but it's really not my design aesthetic.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5772 on: January 21, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
I donated my hotel toiletry collection to a homeless veteran shelter today. This is surprisingly difficult which really shows my hoarder tendencies

I also got rid of 8 napkin rings that my husband's mother gave us for two different anniversaries one for like pewter and one for copper I think. We have never once used a napkin ring in our home although we do use cloth napkins.

I also got rid of an old popcorn 10 that someone is using for a Valentine's Day project so that was nice.

All of this will buy nothing project which is just wonderful
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:50:54 PM by iowajes »

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5773 on: January 21, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Here's random decluttering win - I saw on the local fb giveaways page a travel memento being given away and lots of people were interested?!! I have something similar that I don't really want but didn't want to throw away, and now I can rehome it!

I started another bag for clothes donations today, it's amazing that they keep coming. I've bought 10 clothing items or less since my last purge last Xmas, so with this latest round my clothes are finally looking like they have breathing space, just like Marie Kondo wanted ;)

I can't decide whether to get rid of my backpack. I think my backpacking days are over, we tend to pack one large duffle bag with wheels between us now, and we own two. I can't see me hiking a multi-day trail anytime soon/ ever so I think I am hanging on to it for sentimental reasons. I don't think I've used it in 5 years, possibly more.

Debts_of_Despair

• Bristles
« Reply #5774 on: January 22, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
Culled one of the underutilized bikes from the herd.  Was really in the fence about getting rid of it but now I am relieved that it is disassembled with all the parts listed on eBay.

If I'm undecided about getting rid of something, I rarely find that I regret parting with it once it's gone.

jordanread

« Reply #5775 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:04 AM »
Culled one of the underutilized bikes from the herd.  Was really in the fence about getting rid of it but now I am relieved that it is disassembled with all the parts listed on eBay.

If I'm undecided about getting rid of something, I rarely find that I regret parting with it once it's gone.

I don't struggle with stuff too much, but even I have found that disassembling things and parting them out removes any inkling of emotional attachment.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5776 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »
Got on a roll last night after some wins with the filing cabinet/tax area. Decluttered 20+ items from the boys closets & moved to the donation box.

haypug16

• Bristles
« Reply #5777 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
Dropped off a box of 31 items to savers yesterday. On track for my 365 items in 2018 resolution. It is getting easier and easier to throw stuff in a box and get rid of it.

SEAK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5778 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
I boxed up 17 college text books and shipped them off to an online text book buyer. Got $300 for a bunch of old books sitting in our closet. My wife worked on our daughters room and got rid of old books, toys, clothes, etc.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #5779 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
PTF, primarily.

I might be moving soon, which is excellent inspiration to start getting rid of things.

I live in a shared house --- so pretty much everything I own is stored in my bedroom which has a small closet, a bookshelf, and a night stand with drawers.   And, yet, I am SHOCKED at how much I've accumulated in the three years I've lived here. 

Also, my room is a ridiculous mess.   Because I am lazy.  Which is totally a life fail.  I've been saying that I would take a weekend day and do a full-on Marie Kondo style purge of everything.

But, that hasn't happened.

So, instead I put a trash bag and box for donations by my door.  And I'm trying to do one thing every time I leave my room to make it neater/cleaner/less cluttered.  So something gets thrown out or put back in its proper place or in the donation bin every time I go to get a glass of water or go to the bathroom or whatever.  Only a few days in, but I'm pretty impressed at the progress so far - two trash bags and one full box of donations out the door.   Hopefully, I can keep up the habit long enough to get the whole room under control.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5780 on: January 22, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
Got rid of a couple piles of old bank statements (dating from mid-90s to 2006 or so) - not sure why I was keeping them. Also recycled a big pile of magazines. I will win the battle of the basement storage room this year. Little by little...

This thread is keeping me inspired. Thanks, everyone!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5781 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
Uncluttered the nightstand and got rid of a stack of magazines and several books. Also found the power cord I needed for one electronic gadget.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5782 on: January 22, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Went through the kitchen dish towel drawer and got rid of about a dozen cloths, napkins, etc.

Every little bit feels good.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5783 on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »
Update on the three huge boxes of photos (a/k/a the albatross around my neck) -- DH has volunteered to scan them, and he has begun!  Wow!   Also I took three bags of clothes and miscellaneous stuff to Goodwill.  Now trying to convince my son to donate some of his unused sports equipment.   

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5784 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
I've got two months, tops, before we move house. Our house hasn't recovered from the arrival of our baby 9 months ago, so it was very needed anyway! First later is just removing the rubbish and recycling...

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5785 on: January 23, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
Went to some friends' house over the weekend to help them cleanup.  They plan to move to a smaller place and need to be rid of all the stuff.  They have a great start with furniture from her mother (passed a year ago) going for consignment or donation and lots of clothes being donated (many trash bags full).  I helped with the garage and realized that they need to put out an ultimatum to their kids who are out of college and living elsewhere.  In particular, the son who played hockey has deposited all his hockey equipment in the garage.  2 full sets of goalie pads, 4 humungous hockey bags, probably 3 dozen hockey sticks, a dozen broken goalie sticks.  Personally, I'd give notice that if they're not taken care of in a month, they're going on craigslist. 

The wife helped going through clothes which I hear was easy.  Some were......as the husband put it.....stuff we wore in Junior High.  Easy to throw in the donation bag as it would fit nobody.

After a few hours of cleaning, it didn't even look like anything was done.  Unfortunately, our house is even worse, in my opinion, and I'm the cleaner.....wife and one son are the "Oh, this is a cherished thing from when the kids were little" (clinging to a AA battery that's leaking all over the place).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5786 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
-Sold/mailed an item on eBay, so that's gone now.
-Sold/ditched an auction item I won last year that's been nothing but a pain in my butt figuring out how to use it. Gone now to someone who will enjoy.
-Returned two books that I got from the "freebie" table at work & then read, so others can also enjoy.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5787 on: January 23, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
People collected my unwanted picture and mismatched glasses yesterday, I'm so pleased. I have got a couple of things for sale for $ that I can't shift tho.

Today: I'm listing my nice but never wear 'em dresses.
This long weekend: The 'study' is on my hit list. If I can get rid of some old vinyl, it means I can also get rid of some wonky shelves. I want to clean & listen to the records to see if they are saleable quality, then get rid of them plus the cheapie record player.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5788 on: January 24, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »
I've got two months, tops, before we move house. Our house hasn't recovered from the arrival of our baby 9 months ago, so it was very needed anyway! First later is just removing the rubbish and recycling...

Good luck! You can do it!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5789 on: January 24, 2018, 06:25:41 AM »

Good luck! You can do it!
Thanks! Today I filled a box with baby clothes and some of my clothes, and took it straight to the donation bin (.... While dropping DH at the train station to go to work). I'm hoping the dresses I donated will be found by frugal teens for their highschool balls, since those will happen in a few months. I have another dress I couldn't quite donate... But I think it will go in the next lot, it just isn't quite my style and I don't attend enough fancy parties!

I also consolidated several boxes so we have about 5 empty ones now, ready to fill up.

I found our stash of reusable shopping bags. I'm putting them in the boot of the car, and any we haven't used by the end of February will be filled with donations and I'll just drop the entire bag in the donation bin!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5790 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
This thread has motivated me.  I am holding a community - wide "Freecycle" event in April at a local hall.   I just need to get volunteers organized to help me plan....

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5791 on: January 25, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
That sounds great, Goldilocks!

Filled the bin today with my backpack (the plastic coating inside had gone icky so I can't give it away), 3 manky old pillows, a gym bag and various fancy dress things, wigs and masks. I made a list of four things I'll declutter in winter.

Next I'm going to go through my shoes. And I need to give up on a couple of tops with sentimental value that I'm never going to wear but they are proving sticky

I haven't got to my vinyl yet...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5792 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
I tried to repair a knit cardigan that I wear to work where a seam had completely failed (about 10 cm long) but realised that a) the repair was well beyond my very basic sewing skills and b) I no longer liked the cardigan. So I put it in the bag of clothes waiting for the next clothes swap. It's possible nobody will want it but I can try.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5793 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
Today's victories: getting rid of a stack of magazines my dad had brought over but refused to take away again (we didn't want them or ask for them...) and a baby swing my sister's SIL lent us and didn't want back. Both easily rehomed via Buy Nothing :-)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5794 on: January 26, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
We got a mattress topper a few months ago to sleep in the car (out of town and all hotels were booked or crazy expensive). It didn't work on the bed. Can't really sell it or anything either...but a new friend is interested in taking it! Win!

Those hard to get rid of/sell items are pretty frustrating, so I'm happy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5795 on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Had to wait until today to get the next set of eBay items up & running (I'll be traveling & don't want to sell anything while I'm away & can't mail). Excited, as I have 9 more items to list, plus a few for Craigslist as well. I'll also have the boys go through their rooms today & collect garbage, dirty laundry that's hiding under the bed, etc. 

SquashingDebt

• Stubble
« Reply #5796 on: January 26, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
After reading a rather terrible book that had been on my bookshelves for 5 years, I remembered my surprisingly accurate rule of thumb:  if a book doesn't get a least a 3.5 out of 5 rating on Goodreads, I'm not going to like it.  So, today after work, I went through all the unread books on my shelves and looked up their ratings.  I ended up finding about 10 books with a low rating that I can now donate.  Decluttered and saved myself from once again accidentally reading a not-very-good book!

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5797 on: January 26, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
After reading a rather terrible book that had been on my bookshelves for 5 years, I remembered my surprisingly accurate rule of thumb:  if a book doesn't get a least a 3.5 out of 5 rating on Goodreads, I'm not going to like it.  So, today after work, I went through all the unread books on my shelves and looked up their ratings.  I ended up finding about 10 books with a low rating that I can now donate.  Decluttered and saved myself from once again accidentally reading a not-very-good book!

This is genius. Nothing worse than a bad book.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5798 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Spent a bit of the day searching for medicine-ended up gathering 2 gallon ziplock bags of expired meds to figure out where to go. Made a list of medications to replace. I am realizing we use too many prescriptions!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5799 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »

This is genius. Nothing worse than a bad book.

I used to feel obligated to finish books I started, but then I decided I wasn't going to live long enough to read all the good books I wanted to. Now, I give it three-five chapters. If I don't enjoy it, on to the next book.
There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less. - G.K. Chesterton