Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850043 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5700 on: January 21, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
I (finally) got started on my whole-apartment decluttering project today.  I moved in about 2.5 years ago and haven't reassessed my possessions or what goes where since I moved in and unpacked quickly.  Let's see if I can manage to go through the whole apartment before I get busy this summer.

Today I tackled my dining room/office (1 room used for both purposes):

- Organized the heap of papers on my desk.  Shredded and recycled a bunch, but still need to file the "to-file" stack I ended up with.
- Organized everything else on my desk and finally labeled the storage boxes.
- Gave up on ever reading some of the magazines I've accumulated.  Made a pile for recycling, a pile to give to my coworker to read, and a pile of the ones I still actually want to read.  (I save them for plane trips, so that way I'm not tempted to buy a magazine at the airport.)
- Cleared out a little stand-alone cupboard that had been holding random stuff ever since I moved in.  Turned it into overflow kitchen storage for my InstantPot, mixer, and some bowls that had been stored out-of-the way but that I want to use more often now.
- Went through all the drawers of my desk and shelves of my desk and organized them.  Got rid of a few random things, plus a decorative plate a friend gave me awhile back.  (I had been hanging on to it because it was a gift, but it's really not my design aesthetic.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5701 on: January 21, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
I donated my hotel toiletry collection to a homeless veteran shelter today. This is surprisingly difficult which really shows my hoarder tendencies

I also got rid of 8 napkin rings that my husband's mother gave us for two different anniversaries one for like pewter and one for copper I think. We have never once used a napkin ring in our home although we do use cloth napkins.

I also got rid of an old popcorn 10 that someone is using for a Valentine's Day project so that was nice.

All of this will buy nothing project which is just wonderful
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 05:50:54 PM by iowajes »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5702 on: January 21, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »
Here's random decluttering win - I saw on the local fb giveaways page a travel memento being given away and lots of people were interested?!! I have something similar that I don't really want but didn't want to throw away, and now I can rehome it!

I started another bag for clothes donations today, it's amazing that they keep coming. I've bought 10 clothing items or less since my last purge last Xmas, so with this latest round my clothes are finally looking like they have breathing space, just like Marie Kondo wanted ;)

I can't decide whether to get rid of my backpack. I think my backpacking days are over, we tend to pack one large duffle bag with wheels between us now, and we own two. I can't see me hiking a multi-day trail anytime soon/ ever so I think I am hanging on to it for sentimental reasons. I don't think I've used it in 5 years, possibly more.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5703 on: January 22, 2018, 07:05:45 AM »
Culled one of the underutilized bikes from the herd.  Was really in the fence about getting rid of it but now I am relieved that it is disassembled with all the parts listed on eBay.

If I'm undecided about getting rid of something, I rarely find that I regret parting with it once it's gone.

jordanread

« Reply #5704 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:04 AM »
Culled one of the underutilized bikes from the herd.  Was really in the fence about getting rid of it but now I am relieved that it is disassembled with all the parts listed on eBay.

If I'm undecided about getting rid of something, I rarely find that I regret parting with it once it's gone.

I don't struggle with stuff too much, but even I have found that disassembling things and parting them out removes any inkling of emotional attachment.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5705 on: January 22, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »
Got on a roll last night after some wins with the filing cabinet/tax area. Decluttered 20+ items from the boys closets & moved to the donation box.

haypug16

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5706 on: January 22, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
Dropped off a box of 31 items to savers yesterday. On track for my 365 items in 2018 resolution. It is getting easier and easier to throw stuff in a box and get rid of it.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #5707 on: January 22, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
I boxed up 17 college text books and shipped them off to an online text book buyer. Got $300 for a bunch of old books sitting in our closet. My wife worked on our daughters room and got rid of old books, toys, clothes, etc.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #5708 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
PTF, primarily.

I might be moving soon, which is excellent inspiration to start getting rid of things.

I live in a shared house --- so pretty much everything I own is stored in my bedroom which has a small closet, a bookshelf, and a night stand with drawers.   And, yet, I am SHOCKED at how much I've accumulated in the three years I've lived here. 

Also, my room is a ridiculous mess.   Because I am lazy.  Which is totally a life fail.  I've been saying that I would take a weekend day and do a full-on Marie Kondo style purge of everything.

But, that hasn't happened.

So, instead I put a trash bag and box for donations by my door.  And I'm trying to do one thing every time I leave my room to make it neater/cleaner/less cluttered.  So something gets thrown out or put back in its proper place or in the donation bin every time I go to get a glass of water or go to the bathroom or whatever.  Only a few days in, but I'm pretty impressed at the progress so far - two trash bags and one full box of donations out the door.   Hopefully, I can keep up the habit long enough to get the whole room under control.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5709 on: January 22, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »
Got rid of a couple piles of old bank statements (dating from mid-90s to 2006 or so) - not sure why I was keeping them. Also recycled a big pile of magazines. I will win the battle of the basement storage room this year. Little by little...

This thread is keeping me inspired. Thanks, everyone!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5710 on: January 22, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »
Uncluttered the nightstand and got rid of a stack of magazines and several books. Also found the power cord I needed for one electronic gadget.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5711 on: January 22, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
Went through the kitchen dish towel drawer and got rid of about a dozen cloths, napkins, etc.

Every little bit feels good.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #5712 on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »
Update on the three huge boxes of photos (a/k/a the albatross around my neck) -- DH has volunteered to scan them, and he has begun!  Wow!   Also I took three bags of clothes and miscellaneous stuff to Goodwill.  Now trying to convince my son to donate some of his unused sports equipment.   

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5713 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:32 AM »
I've got two months, tops, before we move house. Our house hasn't recovered from the arrival of our baby 9 months ago, so it was very needed anyway! First later is just removing the rubbish and recycling...

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5714 on: January 23, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
Went to some friends' house over the weekend to help them cleanup.  They plan to move to a smaller place and need to be rid of all the stuff.  They have a great start with furniture from her mother (passed a year ago) going for consignment or donation and lots of clothes being donated (many trash bags full).  I helped with the garage and realized that they need to put out an ultimatum to their kids who are out of college and living elsewhere.  In particular, the son who played hockey has deposited all his hockey equipment in the garage.  2 full sets of goalie pads, 4 humungous hockey bags, probably 3 dozen hockey sticks, a dozen broken goalie sticks.  Personally, I'd give notice that if they're not taken care of in a month, they're going on craigslist. 

The wife helped going through clothes which I hear was easy.  Some were......as the husband put it.....stuff we wore in Junior High.  Easy to throw in the donation bag as it would fit nobody.

After a few hours of cleaning, it didn't even look like anything was done.  Unfortunately, our house is even worse, in my opinion, and I'm the cleaner.....wife and one son are the "Oh, this is a cherished thing from when the kids were little" (clinging to a AA battery that's leaking all over the place).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5715 on: January 23, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
-Sold/mailed an item on eBay, so that's gone now.
-Sold/ditched an auction item I won last year that's been nothing but a pain in my butt figuring out how to use it. Gone now to someone who will enjoy.
-Returned two books that I got from the "freebie" table at work & then read, so others can also enjoy.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5716 on: January 23, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
People collected my unwanted picture and mismatched glasses yesterday, I'm so pleased. I have got a couple of things for sale for $ that I can't shift tho.

Today: I'm listing my nice but never wear 'em dresses.
This long weekend: The 'study' is on my hit list. If I can get rid of some old vinyl, it means I can also get rid of some wonky shelves. I want to clean & listen to the records to see if they are saleable quality, then get rid of them plus the cheapie record player.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5717 on: January 24, 2018, 01:41:07 AM »
I've got two months, tops, before we move house. Our house hasn't recovered from the arrival of our baby 9 months ago, so it was very needed anyway! First later is just removing the rubbish and recycling...

Good luck! You can do it!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5718 on: January 24, 2018, 06:25:41 AM »

Good luck! You can do it!
Thanks! Today I filled a box with baby clothes and some of my clothes, and took it straight to the donation bin (.... While dropping DH at the train station to go to work). I'm hoping the dresses I donated will be found by frugal teens for their highschool balls, since those will happen in a few months. I have another dress I couldn't quite donate... But I think it will go in the next lot, it just isn't quite my style and I don't attend enough fancy parties!

I also consolidated several boxes so we have about 5 empty ones now, ready to fill up.

I found our stash of reusable shopping bags. I'm putting them in the boot of the car, and any we haven't used by the end of February will be filled with donations and I'll just drop the entire bag in the donation bin!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5719 on: January 24, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
This thread has motivated me.  I am holding a community - wide "Freecycle" event in April at a local hall.   I just need to get volunteers organized to help me plan....

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5720 on: January 25, 2018, 08:59:14 PM »
That sounds great, Goldilocks!

Filled the bin today with my backpack (the plastic coating inside had gone icky so I can't give it away), 3 manky old pillows, a gym bag and various fancy dress things, wigs and masks. I made a list of four things I'll declutter in winter.

Next I'm going to go through my shoes. And I need to give up on a couple of tops with sentimental value that I'm never going to wear but they are proving sticky

I haven't got to my vinyl yet...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5721 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
I tried to repair a knit cardigan that I wear to work where a seam had completely failed (about 10 cm long) but realised that a) the repair was well beyond my very basic sewing skills and b) I no longer liked the cardigan. So I put it in the bag of clothes waiting for the next clothes swap. It's possible nobody will want it but I can try.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5722 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
Today's victories: getting rid of a stack of magazines my dad had brought over but refused to take away again (we didn't want them or ask for them...) and a baby swing my sister's SIL lent us and didn't want back. Both easily rehomed via Buy Nothing :-)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5723 on: January 26, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
We got a mattress topper a few months ago to sleep in the car (out of town and all hotels were booked or crazy expensive). It didn't work on the bed. Can't really sell it or anything either...but a new friend is interested in taking it! Win!

Those hard to get rid of/sell items are pretty frustrating, so I'm happy.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5724 on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:34 AM »
Had to wait until today to get the next set of eBay items up & running (I'll be traveling & don't want to sell anything while I'm away & can't mail). Excited, as I have 9 more items to list, plus a few for Craigslist as well. I'll also have the boys go through their rooms today & collect garbage, dirty laundry that's hiding under the bed, etc. 

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #5725 on: January 26, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »
After reading a rather terrible book that had been on my bookshelves for 5 years, I remembered my surprisingly accurate rule of thumb:  if a book doesn't get a least a 3.5 out of 5 rating on Goodreads, I'm not going to like it.  So, today after work, I went through all the unread books on my shelves and looked up their ratings.  I ended up finding about 10 books with a low rating that I can now donate.  Decluttered and saved myself from once again accidentally reading a not-very-good book!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5726 on: January 26, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
After reading a rather terrible book that had been on my bookshelves for 5 years, I remembered my surprisingly accurate rule of thumb:  if a book doesn't get a least a 3.5 out of 5 rating on Goodreads, I'm not going to like it.  So, today after work, I went through all the unread books on my shelves and looked up their ratings.  I ended up finding about 10 books with a low rating that I can now donate.  Decluttered and saved myself from once again accidentally reading a not-very-good book!

This is genius. Nothing worse than a bad book.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:41:01 PM by Fresh Bread »

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5727 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:21 PM »
Spent a bit of the day searching for medicine-ended up gathering 2 gallon ziplock bags of expired meds to figure out where to go. Made a list of medications to replace. I am realizing we use too many prescriptions!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5728 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »

This is genius. Nothing worse than a bad book.

I used to feel obligated to finish books I started, but then I decided I wasn't going to live long enough to read all the good books I wanted to. Now, I give it three-five chapters. If I don't enjoy it, on to the next book.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5729 on: January 27, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
Sold 4 brainteaser type kid games today. Made $22, got the 4 toys & 3 bases out of the house. Win!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #5730 on: January 27, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
Cleaned and reorganized the basement. Another three bags to goodwill. Box of things mailed to kid at school. lots of recycling and trash removal. Mount EBay is growing and I really need to get stuff listed!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5731 on: January 27, 2018, 05:10:56 PM »
Got rid of my maternity leggings. Figured if I get pregnant again they probably won't be in style anymore anyway.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5732 on: January 28, 2018, 01:51:58 PM »
Gathered up some clothes and misc stuff for Goodwill. One bag full, another partial. I'm sure there's some more things I don't want so I can fill up the bag. Going to go clean, maybe I can find some of them.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5733 on: January 28, 2018, 04:23:48 PM »
Sold our nice but very under utilized (for how much counter real estate it took) espresso machine. Will replace with an Aeropress for around $40 and keep $110. Win.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5734 on: January 28, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
Gave away two storage boxes at the weekend. Got less to store :)

I didn't get around to doing the vinyl... Next weekend.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5735 on: January 29, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
I now have 2 gallons of expired medication ready to dispose of - but since some of it is "controlled" I need to figure out how to get rid of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I seem to remember reading I might be able to drop it off at a fire station.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5736 on: January 29, 2018, 09:13:08 AM »
I now have 2 gallons of expired medication ready to dispose of - but since some of it is "controlled" I need to figure out how to get rid of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I seem to remember reading I might be able to drop it off at a fire station.

https://apps.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubdispsearch/spring/main?execution=e1s1
http://rxdrugdropbox.org/
https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186188.htm

Costco pharmacies also do at least once yearly collections I think.

jordanread

« Reply #5737 on: January 29, 2018, 09:19:09 AM »

Pretty sure you can sell it on Craigslist. :)

I would have recommended the Hospital for help, but the fire department seems like it would be better.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5738 on: January 29, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »

Our walmart has started issuing dispose kits with narcotics prescriptions and you can request them without a prescription.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5739 on: January 29, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Got rid of the two baby gates that I was given on buy nothing (requested walk through gate, woman dropped off step over kind, which we were game to try but then 9 month old daughter immediately pulled off the door frame...)  Quick in and out!

Listed a 36" TV and table on buy nothing today.  I'm sad as I feel like this is a great set that should have value, but it's 10 years old. 10 year old electronics have no value.  Hopefully someone will take this 150 pound monster our of my basement.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5740 on: January 29, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »

My police station accepts it.  They have some kind of bin right in the front lobby.  Right below @jordanread 's picture on their wall.  ;-)

jordanread

« Reply #5741 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »

My police station accepts it.  They have some kind of bin right in the front lobby.  Right below @jordanread 's picture on their wall.  ;-)

Just for the record, I didn't do my hair that day. It was an awful picture!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5742 on: January 29, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »

Pharmacies - any really, but easiest if it was the pharmacy the meds came from.  I did this when DD didn't use all her morphine from a surgery.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5743 on: January 29, 2018, 10:34:53 AM »
Sold a chair for $25, just to get someone to pick it up quickly. I was too sore from painting to haul it out to my car to donate it. Still waiting for two side tables to sell. I'm being stubborn on the price. If they don't sell by the time I start painting some other stuff for my house, I am going to paint them too. I think a better colour will be more eye catching, plus I genuinely like the tables and even though I bought them to flip, I might end up keeping them. Oops :)

I have a bunch of left over paint that I am going to use to paint the inside of my closets so that's sorta a declutter! Working on that chore this week.

I am also packing up some new shampoo/conditioner bottles to donate. I found a brand I really want to stick with so my stockpile of 5 of 6 bottles is going to a new home.

Weeded through my crocheted dish cloth collection. Picked out some really nice ones (all new) to use to wrap Christmas presents as functional wrapping. I also went through the ones I currently use and put a few in the rag pile. That significantly tidied up one drawer.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5744 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »

Just for the record, I didn't do my hair that day. It was an awful picture!

Yeah--it wasn't one of your better days.  ;-)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5745 on: January 29, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »

Pretty sure you can sell it on Craigslist. :)

I would have recommended the Hospital for help, but the fire department seems like it would be better.

Pretty sure my kid could sell it at school too, but I'd like him to make it through college OUT of jail. 

Hence why it's all sat in my house for long periods of time. I confirmed I can take it to our local fire department, but only the pills. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the liquids and epi pens.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5746 on: January 29, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
* Donated all the Beanie Babies and oversize stuffed animals that had been recently gifted to the children. They don't play with them and they're dust traps which is no bueno for my kids, who are prone to allergies.

* Donated a bunch of terra cotta pots that had been stored for a long time and weren't likely to be used soon.

* Cleared out under the sink and took all the items I couldn't immediately remember the use for (why do I have mineral oil? why do I have this Tuff Stuff) to the toxic materials disposal site.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5747 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »

* Cleared out under the sink and took all the items I couldn't immediately remember the use for (why do I have mineral oil? why do I have this Tuff Stuff) to the toxic materials disposal site.

Machine mineral oil? Or food grade for maintaining wooden cutting boards?

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5748 on: January 29, 2018, 12:23:18 PM »

Machine mineral oil? Or food grade for maintaining wooden cutting boards?

I *think* it was for a fancy cutting board we had, but then my kids accidentally burned it* and now we're using cheap bamboo boards bought new at Goodwill. I like them better because they have a ring attached so I can hang them up out of the way instead of storing on our limited counterspace.

*it was resting on the stovetop, they turned on the wrong burner on high for a while while trying to do something else...extremely charred cutting board. :D

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5749 on: January 29, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
I have a bunch of left over paint that I am going to use to paint the inside of my closets so that's sorta a declutter! Working on that chore this week.

Assuming that they're all various shades of the same color and same types, mix them all together. One consistent color, don't have to worry about running out of one color part way through the closet. And yes, painting counts as declutter in my book. It'd better - I have 15 gallons of paint in my house right now, and all of them will be used by the time I'm done.