Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850053 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5650 on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
Well, that's one way to declutter. Just ripped a hole in my jeans =( So out they go, and in with a paid I had moved to the "replacement bin." Basically, we used to have too many clothes in circulation, but we have tons of duplicates (like, I had 5 pairs of these same jeans). So we put some in a bin, and I just keep 2 in circulation. Well, now we're down to only one or two more in the backup bin I guess!

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5651 on: January 10, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
I did a massive declutter a few years ago, but noticed I needed to do a little declutter maintenance.

So far in January I have donated:

6 old board games that are no longer played because of modern, better ones in the collection.

A number of craft supplies I don't think I will ever use.

A large bag of clothes I have shrunk out of and some extra knitted mittens I never wear.

A large box of extra Christmas decorations I didn't even use this year.

I still have a craft / office to completely clean out but the rest of my house is very tidy and decluttered.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #5652 on: January 11, 2018, 08:48:20 AM »
I have decided to do the "one in, one out" thing with stuff. I used to buy a LOT of books but I'm really cutting back on that & using the library.

As I'll be moving in the near future, I've really gotta get my rear in gear with decluttering.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5653 on: January 11, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »
Have a bunch of stuff listed on eBay & just got 4 items shipped & mailed out. I have a huge stack of things in the closet, ready to get listed. Need to just keep working through the stack.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5654 on: January 14, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »
3 boxes of photos? You're so lucky. My mom does genealogy. She has 5-6 large boxes of just big photo albums. Another 8-9 boxes of loose photos and small albums. That's not counting the 3 boxes of albums, photos, and slides that she's got in her house from my dad's side of the family. I think 3 boxes of books and papers. These are not shoe boxes either. They're at least the "small" moving boxes, some are larger.

Oh, and none of this "can" be discarded. Even if you scan it first. I have no idea who else in the family(ies) may want this stuff. And mom will basically murder anyone who gets rid of genealogy. Suggestions? Cause I'm at a loss.

Start asking around your family, and if you have nephews / nieces that are under 15, one of them may grow into wanting it, too.  Hey, you could even check out the next branch of the family tree, one that you don't have much contact with... if it goes back a ways, someone from that side may want the bulk of it, leaving you to just hold onto a few grandparent and parent photos.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5655 on: January 14, 2018, 05:58:10 AM »
In the drawer beside my bed I fpund a step counter that I received at work mamy years ago. I now have a phone that automatically counts steps. So I ditched the step counter. It is moved to the box for technical devices to dispose in a responsible way.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5656 on: January 14, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »
Yeah, mom's not going to give originals to anyone else. She'll make copies though! Basically, I think I'm stuck until she dies then I can actually do something about it all.

------------
Finally putting the closet back together after painting it. It's nice to clean up the rest of the house by putting everything back where it belongs. I'm going to try to put a couple more shelves in to help with storage, I'm pretty sure I have usable stuff in the garage to do this, which would help clean up the garage a bit. :)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5657 on: January 14, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »
More items from my craft room / office.

The last of the DVDs I own (12) which I never ever watch. I don't even have a DVD player other then using my computer.

Some more craft items headed to the community art space. I think by the end of the week I will have another huge box for them. I am finally going to give up some of the surplus craft / art supplies I never seem to find the time to actually use. It is so wasteful to store items when I have a wonderful community art space literally around the corner from me, where they always need supplies. I am actually a little ashamed of myself for "hoarding it" and buying new items when I have so much.

I also have a whole section of just random stuff to sort this week. Truly a mismatch of items that always end up in this small room because it is my last unorganized / decluttered space. It's a little overwhelming because some of this stuff I just don't know what to do with it. I think the sentimental items I will end up photographing and then donating / discarding because they just sits around in boxes and I almost never look at the items.

By the end of the month I am also going to work on my unfinished basement which I use just for storage. It's very organized down there and not at all cluttered but I know I have surplus items I really do not need.

Ideally by the end of January my declutter maintenance to maintain my huge clean from a few years ago will be complete and then I can get cracking on painting my rooms.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5658 on: January 14, 2018, 10:38:50 PM »
A friend gave me a couple of expensive dresses now that she is off the corporate treadmill.

They were beautiful but ... not my style. Into the donation bin.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5659 on: January 14, 2018, 11:40:36 PM »
My mum is coming to visit, and she's going to help me Dutch ditch things and store stuff properly! I am thrilled :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:57:00 PM by Anatidae V »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5660 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:17 AM »
Is 'Dutch things' an autocorrect doozy, or is it a new term I haven't come across? (I genuinely can't tell - am a tad tired)

Regardless, yay for help!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5661 on: January 15, 2018, 04:30:59 AM »
Is 'Dutch things' an autocorrect doozy, or is it a new term I haven't come across? (I genuinely can't tell - am a tad tired)

Maybe it is the autocorrection of "ditch things"?

jordanread

« Reply #5662 on: January 15, 2018, 05:23:20 AM »
Pretty sure it involves blankets and farting.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5663 on: January 15, 2018, 06:56:21 AM »
3 boxes of photos? You're so lucky. My mom does genealogy. She has 5-6 large boxes of just big photo albums. Another 8-9 boxes of loose photos and small albums. That's not counting the 3 boxes of albums, photos, and slides that she's got in her house from my dad's side of the family. I think 3 boxes of books and papers. These are not shoe boxes either. They're at least the "small" moving boxes, some are larger.

Oh, and none of this "can" be discarded. Even if you scan it first. I have no idea who else in the family(ies) may want this stuff. And mom will basically murder anyone who gets rid of genealogy. Suggestions? Cause I'm at a loss.

If your mother values this excess load of crap, have her provide infoemation, in pencil, on the back of each photo. She needs to note the complete name of each person n the photo and a date it was taken, even if that date is approximate. Write “circa” if she is unsure of the date.

And remember that you can toss the crap when she is dead. I agree with her that some of it is absolute family treasure, but not without identifying information on the back. If she truly values it  she should make it useful. A photos with a bunch of ancient relatives, unknown names, is fairly useless to family genealogy.

I went through this with my own mother with a collection of photos of much smaller scale. She always had a plan to sit with me while we “put them in albums.” No.  Albums are to me less useful as a storage mechanism than is a box. And sure, scannin them is very useful, but the identifying information for each photos must somehow be attached.

With my family collection I scanned only 10% of the photos that were really old and that showed the Ancient Ones. The rest of the photos I divided between me and my brother. I pitched many.  Both of us have no children and these collections will die with us, so be it. The scanned data went to children of my cousins, so it was passed down a generation. They will do with it as they will.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:36:49 AM by iris lily »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #5664 on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »
I need to get back into this. I've started an art hobby, and I really should have gotten rid of things before accumulating supplies.

chloes1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5665 on: January 15, 2018, 08:33:03 AM »
I'm a bit of a genealogy freak, what works for me is reach out to more extended family and see if they want them.  I have a 2nd cousin 1x removed (by adoption, by birth she's a 3rd cousin 1x removed, my grandfather was adopted so by blood we ain't cousins at all...) who was delighted to receive the documents and photos I have of her uncle/grandfather.  She paid the shipping costs too!

That may have to wait until your mother passes though. 

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5666 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:01 PM »
Sold two more apparel items through the local consignment website, netting $420 - I am thrilled with getting this for what I’d long ago written off as sunk costs. I have lots more to pare down, but wins like this keep my motivation high.

I cleared out another dresser drawer and added to the donation pile.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5667 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »

hah, whoops! Yes, Linda_Norway is correct.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5668 on: January 16, 2018, 01:23:27 AM »

hah, whoops! Yes, Linda_Norway is correct.

Oh I thought maybe your mum was kiwi, ha ha.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5669 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:49 AM »
I friend of mine is trying to start a business as a professional organizer, so she came over and helped me go through a few of my trouble spots in the house. 

In addition to a much more organized living space, I also sold $430 worth of useful to other people items.  I've also got sales pending for another $350 worth of things!

Sounds like an interesting business. How does it work? Is she coaching and face-punching you through the process? Does she help evaluate and sell off your stuff? I was actually wondering whether such an endeavor would be successful, after much sorting and moving this week.

The thing that I thought was: Is this a potential side hustle?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5670 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:11 AM »
Sold another eBay item that I'm mailing this morning! Had one jacket not sell after two tries, so sticking it in the donation pile so someone else can enjoy it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5671 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
OMG. I found a shoebox of papers from the 1980s. Paycheck stubs. newspaper clippings. Postcards. Desk calendars.

I saved some letters and drawings from friends and tossed the rest.

It's only been 30 years.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5672 on: January 16, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
A friend gave me a personalised mug... personalised as in it has a photo of her dog on it.

>.<

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5673 on: January 16, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
I took a vacation last week with friends.  One bought lots of souvenirs for friends and family.  Last year, that would have been me.  This year, I just looked on in bemusement.  There was nothing I could justify bringing into my home....except chocolate.  I bought the kids a giant chocolate bar.  They are busily decluttering that for me.

We're starting to think about moving; I got all excited about the idea of getting rid of more stuff.  More husband looked at me blankly and said, "Aren't we done now?  We gave away everything we didn't need."

I might have cackled a little bit.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5674 on: January 16, 2018, 05:12:52 PM »
I took a vacation last week with friends.  One bought lots of souvenirs for friends and family.  Last year, that would have been me.  This year, I just looked on in bemusement.  There was nothing I could justify bringing into my home....except chocolate.  I bought the kids a giant chocolate bar.  They are busily decluttering that for me.

I laughed at this.

We're starting to think about moving; I got all excited about the idea of getting rid of more stuff.  More husband looked at me blankly and said, "Aren't we done now?  We gave away everything we didn't need."

This too. :)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5675 on: January 16, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »

I might have cackled a little bit.

You: Gazing intently, unblinking, at husband.
Him: What?
You: ...
Him: What are you looking at?
You: I am just thinking about other clutter I can get rid of.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5676 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »
A friend gave me a personalised mug... personalised as in it has a photo of her dog on it.

>.<

That was . . . a very risky decision. My husband would definitely use it, ironically.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5677 on: January 17, 2018, 01:05:20 AM »

>.<

That was . . . a very risky decision. My husband would definitely use it, ironically.

He sounds fun. :) Tell him I'll do him a good deal on a mug!

Don't get me wrong, I love her dog.

But I already have too many mugs. I don't drink tea or coffee so any more than one is too many. :D

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5678 on: January 17, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »

>.<

But I already have too many mugs. I don't drink tea or coffee so any more than one is too many. :D

The fact that you don't drink coffee or tea makes it even more interesting! My husband currently drinks out of a mug I made at a work event. It looks like a child made it. He thinks it's hilarious. The paint is crooked, the colors are awful. . . I'm clearly not an artist. :-)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5679 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »

>.<

The fact that you don't drink coffee or tea makes it even more interesting! My husband currently drinks out of a mug I made at a work event. It looks like a child made it. He thinks it's hilarious. The paint is crooked, the colors are awful. . . I'm clearly not an artist. :-)

@mustachepungoeshere wait... you were given a pug mug? >_<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5680 on: January 17, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »

>.<

@mustachepungoeshere wait... you were given a pug mug? >_<

@marty998, you know far too much! ;)

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #5681 on: January 17, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »
Another small box of items donated today - I am killing my declutter maintenance.

I also cleaned up and organized two kitchen drawers!

My craft room / office is the worlds smallest room and for the first time ever it is actually looking quite tidy. It is the only room in my house that is never streamlined because it is so small and I have quite a few necessary items in it. I have accepted it will never be minimal, but tidy is my definite goal.

I have mostly completed my maintenance declutter, now I am spending the rest of the month just organizing and working on putting items in logical locations and thinking about my household work flow.

I have decided instead of once a year, I will do a maintenance declutter every six months. That means in the summer I can work in my unfinished basement when the temperature is optimal.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #5682 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

>.<

Picture please!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5683 on: January 18, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »

>.<

Picture please!

Will get one! As for decluttering, I sold & mailed another eBay item today. Yielding a whopping $4 in profit. But, item gone, and $4 made.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5684 on: January 18, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
I thought I didn't have anything to get rid of yet I filled my car and took it to the thrift store. I am getting rid of a ton of clothes. I probably am down to about a fourth of what I used to have.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #5685 on: January 18, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
3 bags of clothes and a few misguided Xmas items to Goodwill. I spent several hours in the office last night getting rid of paper clutter. Still SO much to do. Trying to figure out if I just set aside a night a  week or ?  Every piece of paper that's left requires some kind of action or follow up.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5686 on: January 19, 2018, 03:09:42 AM »
This weekend we are taking 5 boxes of books, CDs, DVDs and some games (not ours but we said we'd donate them for a friend) to Lifeline, which is a charity that fundraises by selling books etc a few weekends each year. (it's a decades-long institution where I live)

We'll also donating a fancy-pants clock radio that DH bought 10 years ago (still works but doesn't get used any more) and a cat scratch arch thing that a friend gave our cat a month ago, but cat has completely ignored it. Those will go to the big op shop/landfill diversion shed at the rubbish tip.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5687 on: January 19, 2018, 06:07:19 AM »
Listed a heap of stuff on Buy Nothing yesterday and it left the house today. Such a good feeling. Listed a heap more today so that should be gone soon :D

Sister gave me a whole heap of storage containers and baskets. Immediately gave the rose gold baskets to a friend (not at all my style, and totally hers); now we're testing the rest of the stuff to see what fits in our wardrobe so we can give away the excess. Looking forward to a more organised wardrobe!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5688 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:14 AM »

>.<

Picture please!

Will get one! As for decluttering, I sold & mailed another eBay item today. Yielding a whopping $4 in profit. But, item gone, and $4 made.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5689 on: January 19, 2018, 09:00:17 AM »
Per your request, please feast your eyes on this artistic masterpiece. Note dripping paint, uneven color, white spaces . . . obviously my best work.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #5690 on: January 19, 2018, 04:09:31 PM »
Per your request, please feast your eyes on this artistic masterpiece. Note dripping paint, uneven color, white spaces . . . obviously my best work.

That was all on purpose....for artistic effect.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5691 on: January 19, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »

It's difficult to enter into this work because of how the reductive quality of the spatial relationships notates the eloquence of these pieces. I find this work playful because of the way the sublime beauty of the purity of line spatially undermines the remarkable handling of light.  It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the mechanical mark-making visually and conceptually activates the essentially transitional quality.  I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the iconicity of the line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the substructure of critical thinking.

(Critique courtesy of Pixmaven The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator and Random number generator with light editing by yours truly.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5692 on: January 19, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »

It's difficult to enter into this work because of how the reductive quality of the spatial relationships notates the eloquence of these pieces. I find this work playful because of the way the sublime beauty of the purity of line spatially undermines the remarkable handling of light.  It should be added that the subaqueous qualities of the biomorphic forms contextualize the distinctive formal juxtapositions.

Although I am not a painter, I think that the mechanical mark-making visually and conceptually activates the essentially transitional quality.  I'm surprised that no one's mentioned yet that the iconicity of the line-space matrix seems very disturbing in light of the substructure of critical thinking.

(Critique courtesy of Pixmaven The Instant Art Critique Phrase Generator and Random number generator with light editing by yours truly.)

This all made me deeply happy. I will use this mug with new fondness tomorrow.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5693 on: January 19, 2018, 07:50:52 PM »

Bahahaha!! Amazing review, @With This Herring ... @MaybeBabyMustache, the colours are very pretty! ;)

Today, I got rid of an aerobic step bench (circa Jane Fonda’s Workout, inherited from my grandmother and never used — by me or my grandma, I’d guess) for $25!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5694 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:55 PM »
Sort of decluttering.... I'm visiting parents and am helping Mom use up some cosmetics and perfume. She wouldn't let them go even if they were not her type since they were a gift. But she is happy I'm using them.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5695 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »

I would like to request that you get a deep shadowbox-type picture frame to use as framed shelf for your mug when not in use.  It should have a tiny gold placard with something like this on it:
Synchonicity of Being
MaybeBabyMustache ~ 2007

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Step and MBM!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5696 on: January 21, 2018, 05:55:27 AM »

>.<

You can always accidentally drop it so it breaks. :-)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5697 on: January 21, 2018, 06:04:14 AM »
I spent the last week doing a major digital declutter. I deleted and organized the mail in my personal email accounts. My goal from now on is to keep my inbox empty and moving anything that is worth saving to a separate folder. Essentially, I'm treating email the same way I treat physical mail and ruthlessly trashing it. I've been unsubscribing from marketing emails for the last several weeks as well to prevent myself from getting more unnecessary junk to process.

I also spent about 3 days deleting old photos on my machine. For a couple of years, I was really into photography and I was taking all of my photos in the camera's native raw format which creates files about 5-6 times a large as a jpeg. I was also really lazy about culling the herd of blurry or poorly composted photos and I ran out of space on my machine. I deleted over 100GB of garbage photos. I'm also thinking about selling my camera gear because I haven't really taken any photos for fun in about a year and a half.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5698 on: January 21, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »

>.<

You can always accidentally drop it so it breaks. :-)

Oh you evil, evil genius!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #5699 on: January 21, 2018, 03:32:46 PM »
In preparation for tax season, went through our filing cabinets.
-Got rid of a ton of old paperwork. Made a huge stack for shredding
-Found all of our mortgage paperwork for a house that we sold this year. Not sure what exactly we will need for our taxes, but apparently we refi'd 5 times. (Rates dropping.) No wonder we have so much paperwork. I will be thrilled to toss this once we're done with taxes this year.
-Recycled a few papers in the boys room, plus found an item to donate.