Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1293504 times)

PMG

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5350 on: October 20, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »
Slowly but surely.  College son is home and has made a HUGE dent in the Legos, selling off some more valuable ones, then putting together a 10 pound random piece box and shipping them all out.  Meanwhile, I've been digging through an attic storage area, bringing more legos, burnable crap and Brio stuff out.  Found the one thing I have been searching for....a brio train roundhouse.  Granted, it's not worth much, but this was the one big thing I knew we still had.  Brio stuff now up on craigslist.  Have removed (and burned) a bunch of empty boxes that were in storage.  Why are we storing empty boxes?  Continued baby plastic toys and pieces into the recycling bin (youngest son is 17.....we need baby stuff why?).  Also saving yu-gi-oh! cards and Magic the Gathering cards as college son has found buyers.  Son greeted me when I got home yesterday and said that our upstairs room (where the mess resides) is starting to look like space has opened.  This is good and bad.  If my wife notices, she'll probably go ape shit.  My plan now includes getting a bin of similar crap from the basement, dumping it upstairs and then bringing the container to the recycling center to hide the evidence.  She won't notice basement reduction in crap.

Carjack,  this seems like it could have huge negative impact on your wife's and mental health and your family relationships.  Are you exploring professional help or ways to help her deal with whatever is holding her back and making it so difficult for her to let go of this? 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5351 on: October 20, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Carjack, I second getting your wife involved sooner than later. It'll keep the trust factor in the relationship intact. I know many people who would freak out if their spouse had been removing stuff from home under their nose without their knowledge..... even if that stuff is pure crap. You know your wife better but if she has so much attachment to this stuff as you say, it's better to get her onboard.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5352 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
The problem with people that will throw away nothing is that usually therapy is unsuccessful and so is talking to the person. It is a deep seated behavior usually from childhood trauma, not having enough, not feeling good enough, etc.  Yes she may be mad if she finds out but she may never find out.   The person that would like a decent home has some rights too and 9 times out of 10 talking to the hoarder is not going to work.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5353 on: October 20, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
The problem with people that will throw away nothing is that usually therapy is unsuccessful and so is talking to the person. It is a deep seated behavior usually from childhood trauma, not having enough, not feeling good enough, etc.  Yes she may be mad if she finds out but she may never find out.   The person that would like a decent home has some rights too and 9 times out of 10 talking to the hoarder is not going to work.
I'm not sure, even if you're correct about the statistics, that just because it's likely not to work that he shouldn't try at all? That seems rather defeatist and guaranteed to have a bad outcome, instead of maybe him trying for a good outcome?

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tackled the garage!
« Reply #5354 on: October 20, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
Yes, the garage can fit two vehicles now. Gave away books, clothing, furniture, backpacks, and paint. As others have mentioned, I still feel like there is so much more I want to get rid of. One step at the time!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5355 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
My guess is that he has tried many times through out the years and nothing has worked.   But I agreed if he never tried that he should have.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5356 on: October 20, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
Did a Goodwill run and put together stuff for sales. If they don't sell in a week or two, they'll be donated too. At this point, I'm done with the first pass through home and now have a few areas I need to concentrate on. I can't believe how much we've given away, trashed and sold. Still they keep coming! But we are atleast down to just a few areas needing attention now.

JoJoP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5357 on: October 21, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
There's a theme here - I also decluttered my bookshelves this weekend.

I had a few cookbooks where there was one recipe I loved, but I knew I probably wasn't going to make anything else out of it. I photographed the recipe on my phone, printed it out and put it in my recipe binder. Books can now be donated.

I showed my husband what I was keeping, including a book I thought he would never get rid of. (I do not touch his stuff, as I find I can make a huge difference just doing my own, and I don't want to be a nag). Anyway, he saw that book, and said, "oh, you can get rid of that". That would not have happened 18 months ago.

He is really coming round. Since I removed one of our two bookcases he keeps saying, "Oh there is so much space! Doesn't it look great? Oh it's so lovely having so much less stuff". I really think I may be winning the war without fighting a single battle :)

You're an inspiration! 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5358 on: October 22, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »
There's a theme here - I also decluttered my bookshelves this weekend.

I had a few cookbooks where there was one recipe I loved, but I knew I probably wasn't going to make anything else out of it. I photographed the recipe on my phone, printed it out and put it in my recipe binder. Books can now be donated.

I showed my husband what I was keeping, including a book I thought he would never get rid of. (I do not touch his stuff, as I find I can make a huge difference just doing my own, and I don't want to be a nag). Anyway, he saw that book, and said, "oh, you can get rid of that". That would not have happened 18 months ago.

He is really coming round. Since I removed one of our two bookcases he keeps saying, "Oh there is so much space! Doesn't it look great? Oh it's so lovely having so much less stuff". I really think I may be winning the war without fighting a single battle :)

You're an inspiration!

This reminds me of me having too many cookbooks. They still fit onto two shelves of an Ikea Billy book shelf. But there are books that I literally never look into, or do look into, but always put away without inspiration. Time do clean up and throw away those that don't add anything new to alternatives on the internet. Those that I might keep are the ones with general instructions and the ones with inspirational recipies and pictures. And the ones that are most often used.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5359 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
Pulled out the winter clothes and put away the summer ones last night. Per my usual habit, I evaluated items that could go away. Have a bag of clothes ready for donation. Also gathered the handful of other items that I wanted to dispose of.

There's a box of books that I've been shipping out for my sister (she's selling online). Logistics are fun, thus why I have them instead of her. The remainder will be donated by the end of the year, until then they're out of the way. And once the current ebay listings expire, I'll add the unsold pictures I got from mom's house to the donation pile.

Also, the garage is done for the year! It's been a project all summer, scraping, painting, replacing bad wood, etc. Some parts were left for next year, but everything for this year is done. I spent a little bit of time cleaning out the garage. Filled a bucket with the dirt from the floor, organized some things. I'll have to do some more rearranging and cleaning so I can get the car in this winter, but it's sooooo much better already.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5360 on: October 23, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »
Packed two boxes with decor items (a large vase, several candleholders) and entertainment items (charger plates, fancy glasses) to bring to consignment - if they don't want them, they will go to Goodwill.  Also prepped a box of random kitchen and household stuff for donation.
 Reduced two drawers of random papers, office supplies, holiday cards, etc. to one.  Things ended up in a shred pile, the donation pile or went back to the office at work.  A couple of weeks ago, I went through a pile of recipe printouts and clippings and got rid of pretty much everything.  I'm left with just a few favorites that I filed in a recipe book. 

Things I want to tackle this week:
- repost items previously posted on CL that haven't sold
- prepare listings for a few additional items I want to sell
- go through some bins in the basement and prepare items for donation

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5361 on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Contributed 2 bags of clothing to qualify for an upcoming clothing swap.

Finished a container of bubble bath.
Using procrastination to my advantage since 2001.

CM*TO Is a thing!! We have a few bunks left - join us in September.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5362 on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
Two furniture items posted on kijiji.
One car fits in the garage and I can see how ten items re-homed would permit a second car in the garage as well.  We are so close!
Seeing the possibilities

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5363 on: October 23, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
You go Frugal Lizard - success is within your grasp:)

Finally finished clearing out the utility room and sorted out the trash area. It feels so good to have a clear space again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5364 on: October 23, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Two furniture items posted on kijiji.
One car fits in the garage and I can see how ten items re-homed would permit a second car in the garage as well.  We are so close!

That will be an awesome milestone!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5365 on: October 30, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
Apparently Freecycle/etc are not a thing in the suburb where I live.  I found one FB group with minimal involvement and managed to get rid of all of my perfume (the woman who took them was so grateful - she lost everything during the Harvey floods).

The unopened other things I've put in a bag to bring to the woman's shelter to see if they'll take it.   The rest of the opened things are now sitting in a box near my front door to entice visitors (my ex actually took a bottle of extra-special "swimsuit detergent" that I must have been feverish when I purchased).

We've turned our den into a staging place for Craigslist ads; in addition to stuff we don't want, my kids are piling up toys that they want to sell.  We promised to give them any money their stuff brings in.  Within two hours of that pronouncement, it looked like Toys R Us threw up in the den - and they still aren't done!

We sent 4 bags of non-donation-quality cloth (stained tablecloths, old towels, used socks, etc) to the recycle place.

I got rid of 1/3 of my jewelry.  My daughters took some of the earrings and necklaces I'd had for decades, and the rest can go to the donation center.  I can actually see all of what is left.  No more digging around trying to find something and/or forgetting I owned it.

I am a book hoarder by any definition.  Although H and I went through the bookshelves this summer and gave away more than 100, I did a second pass this weekend.  I have another 67 books to bring to Half-Priced Books, plus 22 I want to read once more and then get rid of.    This is a relatively small portion of my books, but STILL, I'm so proud of me!  Every pass, it gets easier to get rid of stuff (goodbye, Jane Austen "sequels" that my well-intentioned family thought I might one day read).
Boldly leading a blended family into (future) financial independence

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5366 on: October 30, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
My DH decluttered the study which he uses for his various projects. He selected a computer screen, two computer mice, a keyboard and a bunch of data cables to be thrown away. I added a stove that the previous owner of our house used to cooking tar, pluss some other electrical stuff that has been waiting in a drawer to be driven away. I drove it all to the local garbage place, as we are not supposed to throw away electral stuff in our bin.

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5367 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »
I need to be in this thread more and decluttering more. I did a little this weekend:

This weekend I found some perfume and perfume samples in my bathroom. I never wear perfume. I gave them away on our FB buy nothing page and they were gone in an hour.

I threw away a bunch of old makeup and filled another bag with 'make up to throw away the next time I decide I don't care about makeup but can't bear to throw away today'.

Maybe this has been asked and answered: Do you guys scan all your old photograph prints? I have all these old photo albums I have pulled the photos out of. But I think I'd like to scan them and make them digital but that seems so overwhelming and time consuming compared to just throwing them in a box. Any ideas?

Another item stumped me. It's a music box from when I was a kid. It seems to no longer work. It was bought in Switzerland (I was born in Europe) so it's a nice antique. I was thinking I would give it to my daughter when I found it wouldn't work. Can these be repaired? Or should I toss it? Anyone know?

Also, any suggestions for people who have plenty of space to store this junk but still want to get rid of it? This is the hard part for me. My junk 'fits' in my closet. But my closet is HUGE. Or kitchen stuff, etc. How can I motivate myself when I can hide everything behind doors and it's still neat?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:21:01 PM by honeybbq »

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5368 on: October 30, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
I need to be in this thread more and decluttering more. I did a little this weekend:

This weekend I found some perfume and perfume samples in my bathroom. I never wear perfume. I gave them away on our FB buy nothing page and they were gone in an hour.

I threw away a bunch of old makeup and filled another bag with 'make up to throw away the next time I decide I don't care about makeup but can't bear to throw away today'.

Maybe this has been asked and answered: Do you guys scan all your old photograph prints? I have all these old photo albums I have pulled the photos out of. But I think I'd like to scan them and make them digital but that seems so overwhelming and time consuming compared to just throwing them in a box. Any ideas?

Another item stumped me. It's a music box from when I was a kid. It seems to no longer work. It was bought in Switzerland (I was born in Europe) so it's a nice antique. I was thinking I would give it to my daughter when I found it wouldn't work. Can these be repaired? Or should I toss it? Anyone know?

Also, any suggestions for people who have plenty of space to store this junk but still want to get rid of it? This is the hard part for me. My junk 'fits' in my closet. But my closet is HUGE. Or kitchen stuff, etc. How can I motivate myself when I can hide everything behind doors and it's still neat?

About the photos, it would be time consuming. If you want to get rid of the physical photos but don't have the time, there are probably services out there. Or if they are family pics, maybe there's a teenager in the family who you might pay to do it?

The music box, I have no idea myself but here we have a couple of volunteer staffed places where they try and fix things (to keep them from landfill). Do you have anything like that?

With the cupboards - if you know it is really junk, leave the doors open the whole time and you might feel motivated to deal with it!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5369 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
honeybbq

For photos, I just keep them in the box.  It is so easy, easy is very good! and every 5-7 years, I pull them out and look through them.  I prefer the printed versions to online because I never look at photos more than 7 years old online.  And it is so much easier.  They are all stored in a 1/2 trunk, so together and out of the way.

Music box -- I have one from Germany, too, from when I was about 13 and bought with my own money on a trip.  Kids broke it about 10 years ago, but I keep it because it brings me good memories, even broken.  DD wouldn't want it the same way, she liked it when she was small and while it worked.  I would get rid of it if YOU don't want to keep it... But yes, these can be fixed, as simple as buying a new music mechanism on-line and replacing the old one.

I have a ton of space...  It is hard to get rid of stuff, but easier in some ways, too.  I ask myself "Have I touched this in the past 4 years?".  If the answer is no, it is an easy item to purge.   I can wait until I "feel like it" to go through things.   I can only do this easy purge because I have 4 years of stuff and so much room.   Sometimes I keep good things that I don't use... but then after 2 years, I can bring myself to chuck it.   (I am looking at you, inflatable mattress! Your day has come!). 

Off to my camping storage...   That is a hard one for me because I love so much of it and have used it, but when is it truly worn out enough to not want to use it again.. or could I use it a few more times if I patch, but should I get rid of it because I have a different item that overlaps the same role, but maybe it is not quite as good in HEAVY rain after all, and just in case??  Also, I randomly need to outfit more people than I ever thought (kids + friends for a backpack trip?! )  I can spend a lot on camping each year prepping to fill holes in my "needs", so when I have lots of used stuff to choose from, i don't spend nearly as much, and I know this, so I store a lot more than I need to.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5370 on: October 30, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
I cleaned out the pantry on the weekends and parted with some empty spice jars (I have more than enough to keep reusing).

After looking for the right size box to organise a few things in the bathroom (our vanity is one big drawer), I finally came to my senses and started using a spare toiletry bag. Saved money and put something to use, win win.

Threw out four very faded cushion covers (after saving the cute buttons) that had been outside, plus one of the cushions that was getting past it.

Tossed out five magazines and my 2007 diary (as in, planner diary, not journal diary).

That leaves 2008-2016. I have no concrete reason to keep them, except for a tiny voice that says I might need to check the dates of something. At the very least I could toss up to 2012 and keep the past five years for tax reasons.

For all my decluttering, stuff seems to be piling up twice as fast:
- FiL stayed on the weekend and left a pair of hiking boots because he couldn't fit them in his luggage to go home
- bottle refund scheme starts in December so I'm saving bottles in the laundry
- a friend gave me a bag of baby clothes for another friend
- I have a birthday present for one friend, and a growing stash of presents put away for Christmas

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5371 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
Honey BBQ, I followed the konmari method and ask myself if an item brings joy. If your music table does, maybe repair and keep it. If not, since it's an antique, museums might be interested.

Also, my goal is to have less stuff to deal with, period. When I move I want to have an easy and light move. I also now feel sad for things that are not used regularly. That spurs me to let go of more.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5372 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
One item sold.  Interest in the second item. 
Toys are going to my brother's kids on Sunday. 
Have to drop off the table to a friend once the toys are gone.  So so close....
Seeing the possibilities

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5373 on: October 30, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
Camping items in garage now sorted and put away.  Two large bins worth for sale or donation.   Still have inside camping items (sleeping bags) to go through.  Moved the utility trailer back into garage, and tomorrow will get the car in there, too.

I have a severe problem with loving bags and backpacks of all types.   Can't seem to toss those.  Other than that, I think I was pretty straight forward.  It helps that I did this 2 years ago, and tossed a lot of pure crap then. 

Next problem -- should I actually have a mini craigs-list one day sale with all of the stuff? (Each room cleared adds another bin's worth to the pile.. the pile is growing).  Some items are worthy of selling individually on craig's list, and many others would get taken away for free. Hmmmmm....

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #5374 on: October 31, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »
Camping items in garage now sorted and put away.  Two large bins worth for sale or donation.   Still have inside camping items (sleeping bags) to go through.  Moved the utility trailer back into garage, and tomorrow will get the car in there, too.

I have a severe problem with loving bags and backpacks of all types.   Can't seem to toss those.  Other than that, I think I was pretty straight forward.  It helps that I did this 2 years ago, and tossed a lot of pure crap then. 

Next problem -- should I actually have a mini craigs-list one day sale with all of the stuff? (Each room cleared adds another bin's worth to the pile.. the pile is growing).  Some items are worthy of selling individually on craig's list, and many others would get taken away for free. Hmmmmm....

Wow, well done, congratulations on your progress! I can understand that having a large 'Get Rid Of' pile is a new challenge. First challenge is going through everything and deciding whether you want to keep it or not, but then... do you sell, donate or throw away? Such a hassle! In my experience, some thing I thought would definitely sell haven't sold and things I was planning to donate got sold quickly. It's a strange market... What I've done with a similar heap: post *everything* online with the price you'd like to get. Ten days later, reduce the price of all items that are left (I mostly cut the price in half). Ten days after that, reduce to 'free pickup'. Ten days after that: donate whatever's left. At that point I'd rather have my space and time back.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5375 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:52 AM »

Wow, well done, congratulations on your progress! I can understand that having a large 'Get Rid Of' pile is a new challenge. First challenge is going through everything and deciding whether you want to keep it or not, but then... do you sell, donate or throw away? Such a hassle! In my experience, some thing I thought would definitely sell haven't sold and things I was planning to donate got sold quickly. It's a strange market... What I've done with a similar heap: post *everything* online with the price you'd like to get. Ten days later, reduce the price of all items that are left (I mostly cut the price in half). Ten days after that, reduce to 'free pickup'. Ten days after that: donate whatever's left. At that point I'd rather have my space and time back.
I like the methodology.  Wish I had done it that way.

Maybe for the next round.
Seeing the possibilities

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5376 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »
This thread is so motivating for me!  Well done, everyone.  I've been following but haven't posted in a while.

Preparing for move after the holidays. 
Yesterday I listed a couple of lamps, a printer, and a cabinet on the FB Marketplace.  Sold the cabinet in a matter of minutes!

I also rounded up some books that don't belong to me and I'm going to return those to their rightful owners this weekend. 

I further culled  my already small DVD collection (if I haven't watched it in five+ years, I'm not going to watch it again)

I ordered a bag from ThredUp to mail in some of my nicer clothes I need to get rid of (bridesmaid dresses and the like). 

I'm also planning to start the Project 333 for the month of November.  Only wear 33 items for three months (only I am only going to do it until I move so it's more like two months).  I'm going to pull out my 33 items to wear and pack up the rest. 

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5377 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

About the photos, it would be time consuming. If you want to get rid of the physical photos but don't have the time, there are probably services out there. Or if they are family pics, maybe there's a teenager in the family who you might pay to do it?

The music box, I have no idea myself but here we have a couple of volunteer staffed places where they try and fix things (to keep them from landfill). Do you have anything like that?

With the cupboards - if you know it is really junk, leave the doors open the whole time and you might feel motivated to deal with it!

Re: the music box - actually I think I saw something on facebook the other day.  A Tinker-er shop or something like that. Good idea!

honeybbq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5378 on: October 31, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm also going to use Thredup after reading this thread. Thanks!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5379 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
Sold a mystery box on ebay for $5 + shipping.  10 items out the door.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5380 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »
After deliberately sorting through my clothes for probably the first time in my life, I have gotten rid of a lot.  That, plus going through my scrap fabric/old clothes for pieces stash left me with 1.5 trash bags to donate and 2 trash bags for cloth recycling.  The local Goodwill accepts fabric for recycling, which is awesome!  Now it is all out of my closet/dresser and my car trunk as well.
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5381 on: November 01, 2017, 07:20:54 AM »
Cloth recycling is so great!  Our city started doing it last month.  I've already put 3 bags out on the curb, and I have another to put out this week.

I put my box of "opened pretty smelling stuff I don't want anymore" on the front porch last night with a sign that said "Free stuff".  By the end of trick-or-treating, it was all gone!

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5382 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Wow, nice surge of activity recently, everyone!  So inspiring, especially the folks who have had a hard time letting go in the past.

I surprise-decluttered my cat costume (ears, tail and gloves).  I say surprise because I had put it in the donation box, but a co worker wanted the costume for next year.  I brought it to her today.  Win!
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5383 on: November 01, 2017, 06:31:53 PM »
I surprise-decluttered my cat costume (ears, tail and gloves).  I say surprise because I had put it in the donation box, but a co worker wanted the costume for next year.  I brought it to her today.  Win!

I surprise un-decluttered something from the donation box this week, too.

I wanted light, summery pants to wear one evening this week. My beach pants were in the wash, and I remembered I'd thrown a pair in the donation box. I had thought, oh, they're sort of duplicate, I don't really need them. Rescued them, wore them, they're not going back in the box. I like them too much. But I still feel like I need to rationalise keeping my own pants...

oneday

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5384 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »

I surprise un-decluttered something from the donation box this week, too.

I wanted light, summery pants to wear one evening this week. My beach pants were in the wash, and I remembered I'd thrown a pair in the donation box. I had thought, oh, they're sort of duplicate, I don't really need them. Rescued them, wore them, they're not going back in the box. I like them too much. But I still feel like I need to rationalise keeping my own pants...

Whoever says you can only have 1 pair light summery pants, tell 'em to shove off. :)

Maybe 2 is the right number for you & your lifestyle.  If it is, please let go of the guilt.  You are actually using them, after all.  It's not a mustachian move to declutter to the point that you have to go out and buy replacements of some of the things...or to live in a state of deprivation.
A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~ Karen Lamb

Jornal is now here

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5385 on: November 01, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
I put my box of "opened pretty smelling stuff I don't want anymore" on the front porch last night with a sign that said "Free stuff".  By the end of trick-or-treating, it was all gone!

What a brilliant idea. I might steal that one for next year.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5386 on: November 01, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »

What a brilliant idea. I might steal that one for next year.
+1 I have a lot of stuff that would've been gladly taken away by our trick or treating visitors. Oh well! Next year for sure

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5387 on: November 02, 2017, 04:50:55 AM »
Honeybbq, I also have plenty of storage space too but I do get a lot of joy out of empty drawers and cabinets :-)

I have two boxes of decor items waiting for me to bring them to consignment - I'm planning to do that tomorrow.  And then a whole bunch of things for donation, which I will do this weekend.

When my DD comes home for Thanksgiving, we will bring the remainder of her things to her dad's house and we're also planning to go through our books to see if she wants to keep any.  Anything she doesn't want will leave my house, except for a few favorites of mine.  Although I may even get rid of them too, because all of them are classics, available for free downloading on the internet. 

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5388 on: November 02, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
One more unused item gone.  Courtesy of Craigslist, I sold my 1974 custom built racing bike.  Haven't ridden in at least a year and when I do ride, I take out the mountain bike.  A little sad to let go a thing I built myself in high school but again, I don't ride it anymore and have access to my son's road bike if I wanted to use it.  The shed now has one empty hook for a bike. 

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5389 on: November 02, 2017, 08:10:03 AM »
One more unused item gone.  Courtesy of Craigslist, I sold my 1974 custom built racing bike.  Haven't ridden in at least a year and when I do ride, I take out the mountain bike.  A little sad to let go a thing I built myself in high school but again, I don't ride it anymore and have access to my son's road bike if I wanted to use it.  The shed now has one empty hook for a bike.

When I give away or sell items which were expensive and/or very meaningful to me at one point in time, I like to imagine the new owner enjoying the item instead of it sitting in storage.  I gave a couple of business suits to Goodwill and I like to imagine someone looking for a suit for a job interview and finding a great deal at goodwill.  It's kind of silly but it helps me let go of things.  I tell myself I'm being greedy for keeping something I'm not using.  The item has already served me well and now it's time For it to serve someone else.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5390 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
Storage question!  Ladies who wear molded-cup brassieres:  Where do you keep them?  Before going through all my clothes, they lived on a random bookshelf in the room (with the rest of my clothes living on that shelf, in the dresser, in the teeny hanging-only closet, on top of the dresser, and on my chairdrobe).  Now that everything fits in the dresser and the closet, where should the bras go?  I don't have dresser drawers big enough to store them without crushing them, so I have been hanging them on a hook rack on the inside of the closet door.  I'd rather not have them in the open.

Is there some regular storage place that people have?
Go soak your beans.  You know you keep forgetting.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #5391 on: November 02, 2017, 06:39:01 PM »
Storage question!  Ladies who wear molded-cup brassieres:  Where do you keep them? 

I keep mine daily ones in a drawer and some fancy ones in a bin on a shelf. Your hook idea gave me an idea though. How about one of those space-saving multi-skirt hangers - one with several rows of clips? If you clipped one bra strap to each clasp, you could keep a bra per tier, preserve their shape, and hide them a bit by hanging it among your clothes.

An example of the hanger I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.ca/Miyare-Foldable-Closet-Multi-layer-Trousers/dp/B07478KCVV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509669433&sr=8-1&keywords=multi-skirt+hanger
"You need a little bit of insanity to do great things." ~ Henry Rollins

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5392 on: November 02, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
I have them all in a drawer, but in a stack, where the cup behind sits inside the cup in front. So they sit vertically in the position you'd be wearing them, and they all keep their shape with no folding of the cups. Does it make sense? The straps are just folded behind. It's the Marie Kondo way I think. I googled it and there is a KonMarie video, but the front image of it sort of shows what I mean.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5393 on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:13 PM »
Iím hoping that joining this thread will inspire me to go through my clothing and my basement storage area. Iíve read a couple of recent pages and itís pretty motivating.

Last week, I felt good about donating some stationery items, shoes and clothing to a school in Africa (a friend is taking a group on a tour and they can each take a certain amount of extra baggage, so he put out a wish list of donations). I always like passing stuff on that I know will be used and appreciated.

Just need to get into the right headspace to let stuff go. This will be my goal for 2018 (and Iím decent about goals when I commit in writing).
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5394 on: November 02, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »
Welcome Step37!

I also posted this at the end of the minimalist October thread, I'm continuing doing the thing where you get rid of a number of items corresponding with the day of the month. 1, 2 etc. It totals almost 500 at the end. This month I'm doing it with business merch in the hope that I can store the car in the garage in December. I can only do it on weekdays but it will still remove about 8 boxes from the garage.

Day 1 and 2 have gone to plan :) Let's see if I can remember today.

I might do the same thing in December but with only digital clutter...

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5395 on: November 02, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »
I spent a considerable time yesterday going through my inbox, unsubscribing to everything apart from bare essentials, and then deleting to Inbox Zero.

That counts, right?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5396 on: November 03, 2017, 05:48:40 AM »
I like the KonMari questioning 'does this spark joy?' or Brooks Palmer's question 'do I love and want to keep this?' where any answer other than an emphatic yes means no, get rid of it. For practical useful things, I prefer to focus on annoyance level.

This week we donated 3 bags of stuff:
- a skirt I got in a clothes swap earlier this year but realised I didn't actually love it
- from DH, a belt, a pair of shiny shoes barely worn, several short sleeved shirts that no longer sparked joy
- a couple of old watches
- some plastic containers in as new condition but I can no longer open them due to some injuries
- a lingerie washing bag that turned out to be made of rough fabric
- a storage box that didn't work for what I wanted it to (solved this by rearranging where some things got stored)
- a magazine
- a small torch that used AAA batteries (we normally only have AA batteries on hand)
plus a few other bits and pieces

I also realised that now that we've pretty much switched to LED lightbulbs we don't need spare bulbs in the cupboard. LED bulbs last for ages plus when they fail, they tend to fail slowly (ie you have plenty of time to go out and buy a replacement). So we got rid of 1 old dim CFL globe, donated 5 x 50W halogen globes (in perfect working condition) and through out a bunch of empty light bulb boxes.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #5397 on: November 03, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
I spent a considerable time yesterday going through my inbox, unsubscribing to everything apart from bare essentials, and then deleting to Inbox Zero.

That counts, right?

Yes it does!! Virtual stuff is too often missed, but there is still that relationship.
I just wanted to teach you a lesson about the destructive power of wordplay.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2018!

Mathematically best is only best if you do it. A suboptimal plan that you actually execute on is MUCH better than a perfect plan you ignore.

CM*TO

formerlydivorcedmom

• Bristles
« Reply #5398 on: November 03, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
I think I might be overly obsessed with clearing out clutter.

When I put away my shoes last night I noticed a dress in the closet that fits and looks okay but I don't really like it.  I dreamed about the stupid dress, and the first thing I did when I woke up was take it out of the closet and put it in the box I'll be sending to Dress for Success.  I felt so much better as soon as it was out of the closet.

I never imagined I'd get to a point that a dress would annoy me that badly.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #5399 on: November 03, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
I think I might be overly obsessed with clearing out clutter.

When I put away my shoes last night I noticed a dress in the closet that fits and looks okay but I don't really like it.  I dreamed about the stupid dress, and the first thing I did when I woke up was take it out of the closet and put it in the box I'll be sending to Dress for Success.  I felt so much better as soon as it was out of the closet.

I never imagined I'd get to a point that a dress would annoy me that badly.

it's the Decluttering Curse... once you start to see all the useless things you have, you just can't unsee it. You might've bypassed a pair of jeans for years, once you get the decluttering curse, that thing will haunt you like a denim demogorgon