Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850055 times)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5350 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
Okay,  I have a lot of items up on Craigslist right now, and on my way to getting $40 before lunch.
Man, there is a huge volume of things I want to sell / give away.   Next weekend, it will be "free giveaways", then the last of it to thrift store, I guess.  Seems like a lot of work, which is why I can declutter (to the garage staging area),then I stop.

Each room I enter, I now have the urge to declutter and the garage pile will start to grow quickly.  It fills the utility trailer right now.

Kids items are worth quite a bit (scooter / pogo stick, like new downhill biking helmet)..  maybe I will need to wait until spring to sell those...  argh, the challenge is what to do with a kid's (the helmet) item that cost $90, that was worn about twice.. giving it away seems like such a loss of $$'s.

I would think those would sell in a heartbeat with the tagline "GREAT FOR XMAS!"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5351 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:42 PM »
This weekend, I made my 11-year-old sort through her closet.  She doesn't want more than half of her clothes.  Granted, a lot of them she had outgrown, but there were multiple things with the tags still on that she didn't want anymore.  We had a nice heart-to-heart, and she confessed that although she likes the idea of those clothes, she really hates wearing X, Y, and Z type clothes.  Simple fix - we aren't buying those types of garments anymore. 

I have a 34-year-old friend who can't admit that yet. Good on your daughter for having that level of self-awareness so young.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5352 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
Another big purge day.

9 hats
Sons clothes - 13 shirts, 4 shorts, 2 pair shoes
Daughter's clothes - 7 long sleeve tops/jumpers, 2 tshirts, 2 dresses, 4 leggings.
Quilt cover set
Safety plugs
Broken curtain rod holder
Spare toy pram handle
Doll stand
Daughter's school scrapbooks from last year
10 items from the bathroom cabinet
Money box
And a few other sundry items.

Hubby also filed a large garbage bag full of crap from his side of our room.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #5353 on: November 06, 2017, 09:03:40 PM »
I took her with me this weekend to drop 2 bags off at Goodwill, to sell the nicer clothes at the resale shop, and to sell 100 books at the used bookstore.  She was SHOCKED at the tiny amounts of money we got for what was easily more than $1k worth of stuff, bought new. It was a nice teachable moment about why I'm suddenly refusing to buy stuff.  We're being wasteful.

Great lessons for your daughter.

This is definitely a huge part of what’s making me hold onto my shoes and clothing that I no longer wear. While I never went into debt accumulating all of it, I spent an absurd amount over several years and I just can’t bear to take the loss (yes, I know I’ve already taken the loss/it’s a sunk cost... I’m obviously not mentally ready to let it go). At least it’s all well organized and accessible. 2018 is going to be Step37’s Year of (getting mentally prepared for?) Closet Consolidation... yes, yes it IS. I stopped buying clothes and shoes nearly three years ago (other than replacements of worn-out items such as gym shoes), so this is the next logical step. God knows I’ll never wear all of it out.

The wastefulness of it all really bothers me. I abhor waste (I’m the person who saves all the only-one-side-printed paper and prints anything that doesn’t leave the office on that), so I have to get rid of things in a way that doesn’t feel wasteful (selling is good!).

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5354 on: November 07, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
I made so much progress since last week!

-started Project 333 (with the exception of attire for a wedding I was in this weekend).  Easy so far.  Boxed up all my other clothes and plan to not open the box until I move.
-gave away a floor lamp
-found someone who wants my printer that is taking up space and rarely used
-bagged up clothes to sell to ThredUp (never done this before; it seems like the CleabOut kit I ordered is taking forever to arrive)
-filled an entire box with clothes, DVDs, etc to be donated to the local community assistance center

This weekend I plan to:
-have my husband go through his clothes and try on things to see if there is anything he wants to get rid of
-clean up my patio furniture and take a nice picture to list it all for sale
-clean up a couple of laptops which aren't really functioning and need to be recycled (I already found a recycling center for these)
-take several barely worn J.Crew pieces to the local high-end consignment store.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5355 on: November 07, 2017, 12:22:13 PM »
This is definitely a huge part of what’s making me hold onto my shoes and clothing that I no longer wear. While I never went into debt accumulating all of it, I spent an absurd amount over several years and I just can’t bear to take the loss (yes, I know I’ve already taken the loss/it’s a sunk cost... I’m obviously not mentally ready to let it go). At least it’s all well organized and accessible. 2018 is going to be Step37’s Year of (getting mentally prepared for?) Closet Consolidation... yes, yes it IS. I stopped buying clothes and shoes nearly three years ago (other than replacements of worn-out items such as gym shoes), so this is the next logical step. God knows I’ll never wear all of it out.

I've purged a bunch of stuff from my closet.  Others are hard to get rid of. I have a box in my closet of clothes that I don't really want, or that don't fit.  It's a transparent tub, so I can still see the clothes.  I'm going to look at them on the top shelf for a year, and then get rid of them.

It also helps me to thank each item of clothing for the value that it already brought my life.  I am generally a very practical, no-room-for-woo-woo-craziness person, and I felt really silly doing this when I started the Konmari method.  I was surprised at how well it worked to alleviate my guilt for the waste.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5356 on: November 07, 2017, 02:17:01 PM »
Had my husband go through the newspapers he had stashed in a drawer and pull out the pages he wanted to keep. The rest went into recycling.

I recently received what I call a Generic Girl Gift (uninspired gifts of body butter and bath products, usually strongly scented, occasionally full of glitter).

I messaged my mum and asked if she can regift it to anyone. She needs something for a group gift exchange (where generic gifts are encouraged), so that’s one more thing out of the cupboard.

And I dropped some small tech components in a zip-lock bag and threw out the box they were in.

Once again I feel like I’m making progress on getting rid of the clutter but I have a lot of stuff in a holding pattern (Christmas gifts, two birthday gifts, shoes to return to shop, a bag to return to family...) Get out of my house!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5357 on: November 07, 2017, 03:22:20 PM »
Storage question!  Ladies who wear molded-cup brassieres:  Where do you keep them? 

I keep mine daily ones in a drawer and some fancy ones in a bin on a shelf. Your hook idea gave me an idea though. How about one of those space-saving multi-skirt hangers - one with several rows of clips? If you clipped one bra strap to each clasp, you could keep a bra per tier, preserve their shape, and hide them a bit by hanging it among your clothes.

An example of the hanger I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.ca/Miyare-Foldable-Closet-Multi-layer-Trousers/dp/B07478KCVV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509669433&sr=8-1&keywords=multi-skirt+hanger

Ooo, I like the hanger idea.

Sunhat, my drawers are too shallow to hold bras without crushing them.  :(  But thank you!

So, what do you do when each individual thing you pick up *does* spark joy, but you've still got way too much stuff and need to ditch it? We already got the easy things (another 6 full bags to the thrift store today) but I'm now finding myself going through the same closet/bookshelf/cabinet again and again, annoyed with the clutter but with nothing to happily part with. Just finished reading "the life changing magic of tidying up" and found it inspiring, but am still stuck at a slow trickle of maybe 1-2 things a day to part with. We aren't hoarders by any means, but I still dream of open space in the cabinets (and no embarrassing pile of craft supplies with no home in the spare bedroom).

Adding to mustachepungoeshere's list:
Store things in different places than you have previously!  When I started looking at some random oddments (large plastic cooler, old music stand, and many more) that live in a weird place (at the top of the stairs leading to our apartment there's a little landing/open storage area), I knew I would be able to trim them down, but I didn't think they'd be gone completely, and I couldn't see how things would ever look organized.  However, after I pared down some food storage and food containers storage, suddenly I have an open shelf inside the apartment.  Now the cooler can go there, and it will probably be joined by other oddments later.

So, in your case, maybe decluttering a linen closet or the attic or the under-bed storage space will lead to extra space that will let you store the crafting supplies you love in a more pleasing manner.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5358 on: November 07, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »
Someone bought my daughter's old twin bed and I indicated that the box spring was included and also managed to include all the miscellaneous pieces of wood that hubs had used to make it super over-structured.  It was taking up a couple of locations in the garage. 

Now I am back focused inside the house.  I painted two dressers so I took all the clothes out of the drawers.  Hubs dumped all his back in without sorting through them.  I am going to go through all mine and refold first.  I did t-shirts this morning before work.

So what should I do with all the bras that don't fit anymore.  I bought three new bras two years ago.  I got them because none of my bras fit - I was so appalled at the size of them it was the incentive to lose weight.  Now they are huge.  And they are brand new looking - well two of them are.  And they were expensive. I don't even want to say what I paid. It was probably my last pre-MMM purchase.  Do I keep in case I put 10 pounds back on - or say goodbye to the Goodwill. Does Goodwill even sell bras? This is not something I want to put on kijiji and it is a little embarrassing to ask a friend no? 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5359 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:59 PM »
*snip*

So what should I do with all the bras that don't fit anymore.  I bought three new bras two years ago.  I got them because none of my bras fit - I was so appalled at the size of them it was the incentive to lose weight.  Now they are huge.  And they are brand new looking - well two of them are.  And they were expensive. I don't even want to say what I paid. It was probably my last pre-MMM purchase.  Do I keep in case I put 10 pounds back on - or say goodbye to the Goodwill. Does Goodwill even sell bras? This is not something I want to put on kijiji and it is a little embarrassing to ask a friend no?

The Goodwill stores in my area only sell new bras, but you could call your local branch and ask.  Certainly try kijiji!  Alternatively, do the cups still fit, or are they now wrong as well?  If just the bands are an issue, you can take them in a bit.  Safety-pin the parts you want to take in first to make sure the straps are still placed appropriately.
Easy band alteration, easy to reverse, bra will be obviously altered
Very pretty band alteration, more tricky but bra will still look good
List of bra-altering guides for bands, straps, and cups; probably varied difficulty levels

kaleidoscopicalkris

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5360 on: November 08, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »

If you're comfortable dealing with shipping, you can always try https://www.reddit.com/r/braswap/ . There's a number of women there who are swapping and selling their bras.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5361 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
I started going through the kitchen last night, until husband made me stop and sit and cuddle for a little while.

I've got about 1/4 of my baking stuff ready to go way, and maybe 1/6 of our kitchen utensil-y tools.  The drawers still look too crowded, so I need to figure out what else I don't realllly need. (I'll confess, I REALLY LIKE kitchen gadgets.  Unfortunately, I don't need them.)  A lot of this stuff are things I use, but only because they are there.  I'm trying to declutter based on "would I buy this again if it burned up in a fire tomorrow".  If not...goodbye.

My ultimate goal is to have nothing sitting on the kitchen counters except the knife block, AND be able to quickly identify everything in the drawers/cabinets just by opening it up.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5362 on: November 08, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
Someone bought my daughter's old twin bed and I indicated that the box spring was included and also managed to include all the miscellaneous pieces of wood that hubs had used to make it super over-structured.  It was taking up a couple of locations in the garage. 

Now I am back focused inside the house.  I painted two dressers so I took all the clothes out of the drawers.  Hubs dumped all his back in without sorting through them.  I am going to go through all mine and refold first.  I did t-shirts this morning before work.

I have heard that organisations that gives clothes to homeless needs bras because almost nobody donades underwear. Maybe also safe houses.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5363 on: November 08, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
I dropped another batch of stuff at the consignment store: a large vase, some candle holders, bowls, pretty utensils, some clothes and shoes.  They took pretty much everything.  Now I need to pack all the stuff that is sitting in the garage and waiting to be donated at Goodwill or Salvation Army.  I have also renewed all my CL listings.  If things don't sell by the end of the month, they will be given away for free or donated.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5364 on: November 08, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »
I’m getting brutal now. Threw out two lamps than have been sitting in the cupboard for more than a year waiting for a good home. I paid $40 for the two lamps and two bedside tables six years ago, and used them for five years. They’ve served their time.

Had a wardrobe re-think this morning too. I put on a work top I haven’t worn in a ages and I realised my colleagues would ask if it was new. I’ve been at my job for just over a year now so they know my wardrobe by now. Gave up on the top (I still don’t like it), but at least that’s a new way of assessing work clothes. Never been worn to this job? It’s out.

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #5365 on: November 08, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »
So, what do you do when each individual thing you pick up *does* spark joy, but you've still got way too much stuff and need to ditch it? We already got the easy things (another 6 full bags to the thrift store today) but I'm now finding myself going through the same closet/bookshelf/cabinet again and again, annoyed with the clutter but with nothing to happily part with. Just finished reading "the life changing magic of tidying up" and found it inspiring, but am still stuck at a slow trickle of maybe 1-2 things a day to part with. We aren't hoarders by any means, but I still dream of open space in the cabinets (and no embarrassing pile of craft supplies with no home in the spare bedroom).

One of these might work, depending on the type of stuff:

Find alternative ways of accessing the things you love
Try getting rid of some of your books with the understanding that next time you want to read a certain have permission to buy the e-book or can borrow it from the library. Check to see if your favourite movies are on Netflix, then donate your DVDs.

Use up the consumables
You mentioned craft supplies. Is the joy in the owning or in the using and then giving away the finished product? If the joy is in the using, then commit to working your way through the stash. Then when the hoard is at an acceptable level, set yourself a limit, e.g. all craft supplies must fit in this plastic tub, or this cupboard, or this shipping container, whatever space you think is suitable. Then you know you can't buy more till you've used up some of what you have.

Get creative with how you store memories
Drowning in kids' artwork? Take a photo and get rid of the piles of craft paper and pipe cleaners.

Take some time then start again
Now that you've offloaded a lot of stuff, you need to adapt to this new base. In time, you might find yourself reassessing what you decided to hang onto. Yes, it did spark joy, but for whatever reason it doesn't anymore. Or maybe now that you've gotten rid of the stuff you don't like, you can better discern between the things you like and the things you love.

I have friends who complain about how they're drowning in stuff. But I love more than 90 per cent of what surrounds me at home. I love my doona cover, I love my favourite chair, I love these two little aqua bowls I have. I live in an apartment, so like doesn't really cut it anymore.

All good input. Our biggest category is kid stuff - clothes and toys saved for the next kid, clothes and toys handed down to us that don't fit yet. I've been whittling this down, but most of it is not in deep storage because I'm reluctant to buy totes for the garage, and the 2yo pulls stuff out of closets - it might be time to get it moved into the garage, or move beyond the simple door nob cover for keeping the kid out of things. It still isn't a huge amount (we still have less than half the toys of anyone else I know with kids and what we do have is pretty open ended, not talking toys, etc) but it needs a better solution.

The craft supplies are mostly used on things that stay in the house once completed, not much leaves as gifts. I am trying to find more things I can make for Christmas gifts, but since crafting time is limited I tend to spend it on special things that we keep (knit a sweater for the kid, make a quilt, etc. My 2yo tends to immediately destroy everything she makes (and loves that part just as much) so we have very little kid artwork, haha.

I do love to read, but prefer the library, so we've only got maybe 30 books for adults in the house - but we have maybe 200 kids picture books and those are getting paired down as well.

I did find two new bags of stuff to let go of today, and I think my takeaway is to try get rid of more of the saved kid clothing and to also take a good chunk of the kids books to good will or maybe try half price books.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5366 on: November 08, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions to donate - the bras are too big in both the band and the cup - two sizes too big in the cup.  I really like the idea of donating them to a shelter or clothing cupboard.  One is completely molded so would be impossible to make smaller.  The other one is just difficult.  One of my friends helps out at a clothing cupboard for people making transitions, either immigrants getting jobs or coming out of mental health care or corrections.  She would probably be delighted to give these to a client.
Now if I could loose the muffin top instead of just the boobs, that would be great.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5367 on: November 08, 2017, 05:45:10 PM »
All good input. Our biggest category is kid stuff - clothes and toys saved for the next kid, clothes and toys handed down to us that don't fit yet. I've been whittling this down, but most of it is not in deep storage because I'm reluctant to buy totes for the garage, and the 2yo pulls stuff out of closets - it might be time to get it moved into the garage, or move beyond the simple door nob cover for keeping the kid out of things. It still isn't a huge amount (we still have less than half the toys of anyone else I know with kids and what we do have is pretty open ended, not talking toys, etc) but it needs a better solution.

I wouldn't classify clothes and toys your child has grown out of or hasn't yet grown into as items that spark joy - they're just necessities. And that's ok.

In that case, you might get something from reading some of what Rachel Jonat (The Minimalist Mom) has written on the subject.

She has three children but is not a big believer in stockpiling clothes for future kids because you can't predict sex, sizing or seasons, so what you keep might never get worn.

She is also a big proponent of minimalist wardrobes, even for children.

http://www.theminimalistmom.com/2011/09/paring-down-for-fall-toddler-clothes/

http://www.theminimalistmom.com/2015/04/bye-bye-baby-stuff-2/

http://www.theminimalistmom.com/2016/01/week-4-kid-clothes/

http://www.theminimalistmom.com/2012/06/childwardrobe/

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5368 on: November 09, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
I'm ambivalent about hand-me-downs.  My girls are 18 months apart.  The oldest is what my friends call a "gigantor" child.  She's almost 12 and is taller than I am and weighs a little more.  The younger one is average height and skinny skinny.

Younger daughter is JUST NOW able to fit into clothes her sister outgrew 5 years ago.  Unfortunately, the styles just don't work for her body type.  After we figured that ou,t I gave away all the other clothes....except for the few pairs of shoes and jeans I kept for myself! 

My sister gives me hand-me-downs for my son.  I keep some of it, but most I give away.  Her son is more of a husky size, and mine is lanky and short, so they don't fit him right.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5369 on: November 09, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
I tackled the kitchen last night.  This is apparently the one area my husband isn't as interested in decluttering, because he retrieved multiple items.  I think he's feeling possessive because a lot of the stuff I was decluttering were items he brought into our marriage ... 5 years ago.  I do most of the cooking, so...anyway, I'll keep extra pots to help him feel more secure.

The bigger problem:  I have a full set of Pfaltzgraff dishes with all the accessories (all bought in 2000).  I don't ever use the teacups/saucers, the sugar dishes, etc.  They take up 3 shelves, and I don't want them.  At the same time, I feel like because it's a set I should keep it all together.

Help!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5370 on: November 09, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
The bigger problem:  I have a full set of Pfaltzgraff dishes with all the accessories (all bought in 2000).  I don't ever use the teacups/saucers, the sugar dishes, etc.  They take up 3 shelves, and I don't want them.  At the same time, I feel like because it's a set I should keep it all together.

Help!
You've kept the set together for nearly 18 years, so it's all grown up now and you can send the parts you don't want out into the world without guilt.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5371 on: November 09, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »

Help!
You've kept the set together for nearly 18 years, so it's all grown up now and you can send the parts you don't want out into the world without guilt.

Agreed.

My dinner set came with 12 mugs that I knew we would never use. We're not coffee or tea drinkers, and we had been given a set of six mugs that we could use for guests.

I gave away the 12 spare mugs almost eight years ago and, until you posted about your dinner set, hadn't given it another thought.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5372 on: November 09, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
Yesterday I came home from a conferance with a new bag. Not a pretty one and not one we needed. I double checked with DH and ditched it. No new rubbish in the house.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5373 on: November 09, 2017, 02:42:01 PM »

Help!

This made me laugh, and it is exactly what I needed to hear.  It's time to launch them into the world!

Thanks to you and to mustachepungoeshere!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5374 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Yesterday I came home from a conferance with a new bag. Not a pretty one and not one we needed. I double checked with DH and ditched it. No new rubbish in the house.

I always find those decisions are easier as soon as you get the item or bring it home. My husband gets a lot of that sort of thing and I try to triage it immediately, otherwise it gets put in a cupboard, he forgets we even have it, then I drag it out and he inevitably wants to keep it because, well, we’ve kept it this long, it must have been for a reason.

>.<

Nope. Better to rip off the Band-Aid as soon as he gets home. Even better, don’t bring it home!

I have to keep reminding him that hotels have bins. No luck yet.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5375 on: November 10, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
More progress!

-found a buyer for my coffee/end tables (selling them for what I paid for them used 7 years ago)
-found the replacement coffee table that I want (used, of course).  This is kind of decluttering since my coffee and two end tables are being replaced by one coffee table (that I actually love)
-letting go of the tv in my bedroom that I never watch and just takes up space and annoys me.  Probably will go to Goodwill since it's nearly 10 years old.
-husband agreed to go through his collection of cards and letters and I'm going to go through mine again (throwing out a few at a time).
-we agreed to go through our books and DVDs again.  I don't watch many DVDs as there are so many movies included with Amazon Prime.  I also use the library heavily and I pretty much never re-read books.  One of the biggest decluttering victories is that I pretty much stopped buying books a couple of years ago and I'm finally comfortable letting go of a few more.

Big decluttering plans for this weekend!  I am so ready!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5376 on: November 10, 2017, 10:45:31 AM »
I gave away my nice woolen, now filted vest to a colleague with a 10 year old daughter. She thought the daughter would fit it and would like it.

Next time: use the f... wool program when washing nice woolen clothes.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:34:32 AM by Linda_Norway »

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5377 on: November 10, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
Ooooo, I've done that before.  It's so disappointing to see one of your favorite pieces become child-sized.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5378 on: November 10, 2017, 03:29:13 PM »

I always find those decisions are easier as soon as you get the item or bring it home. My husband gets a lot of that sort of thing and I try to triage it immediately, otherwise it gets put in a cupboard, he forgets we even have it, then I drag it out and he inevitably wants to keep it because, well, we’ve kept it this long, it must have been for a reason.

>.<

Nope. Better to rip off the Band-Aid as soon as he gets home. Even better, don’t bring it home!

I have to keep reminding him that hotels have bins. No luck yet.

I have started avoiding those bags if possible or leaving them back discretly at the venue. I got a cup at a bike race that I bought with me to my workplace. People are really surprised when you say no Thank you to something that is free.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5379 on: November 10, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
I mentioned to a friend that daughter had grown out of snow pants and was going to list them on kijiji and whining about how people can be so annoying about not showing up but since they were in such good shape I wanted try and sell first.  She asked what size and how much did I want for them and is going to pick them up this weekend.  No haggling and no no shows and $25 bucks.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5380 on: November 10, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »
I gave 41 business merch items away this week. That's one ahead of schedule, so yay. I've moved four boxes into the house so that they annoy me so much that I continue with the plan.

We've been decluttering the shed and found more stuff in the garage too. The bad news is that in order to park the car in the garage, the four bikes will have to live in the spare room. I'd rather the bikes than the hedge trimmer etc! The garage is  about 5.5 x 2.4m for context - built in an era of matchbox cars. We have a small car but you have to be a contortionist to get out.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5381 on: November 10, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
We've been decluttering the shed and found more stuff in the garage too. The bad news is that in order to park the car in the garage, the four bikes will have to live in the spare room. I'd rather the bikes than the hedge trimmer etc! The garage is  about 5.5 x 2.4m for context - built in an era of matchbox cars. We have a small car but you have to be a contortionist to get out.

In America, many garages have a high-enough ceiling to hang bikes over cars.  Would that work for you?  With the small footprint of your garage, it sounds like one of those wall storage pegboards for bikes wouldn't work.  Maybe someday your shed will fit the bikes!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5382 on: November 10, 2017, 09:50:49 PM »

In America, many garages have a high-enough ceiling to hang bikes over cars.  Would that work for you?  With the small footprint of your garage, it sounds like one of those wall storage pegboards for bikes wouldn't work.  Maybe someday your shed will fit the bikes!

No the ceiling is only just over head height! We used to stack bikes in the laundry but renovated it to include a second toilet & shower. We bought a small bike sized shed but it's not secure enough so it's full of typical garden shed type stuff which is fine. We have plans to build a new garage with storeroom so the bike storage is just for now so the car can get shelter while it's hot and for hail storms. The road bike already lives in the spare room so it's not a huge leap!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5383 on: November 11, 2017, 12:17:57 AM »
Last night I tossed two old towels, a couple of operating manuals and some random other crap.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5384 on: November 11, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
Formatted an old external hard drive and gave it to husband to take to work to keep his laptop in order.

He manages a lot of large video files and is forever trying to free up space, so this is a win-win.

I’m also making a concerted effort to use up my supplies of stationery and candles. Makes for quite a relaxing evening really, writing cute letters to my baby nephews by candle light.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5385 on: November 11, 2017, 08:01:10 AM »

Help!

Agreed.

My dinner set came with 12 mugs that I knew we would never use. We're not coffee or tea drinkers, and we had been given a set of six mugs that we could use for guests.

I gave away the 12 spare mugs almost eight years ago and, until you posted about your dinner set, hadn't given it another thought.

For anyone buying open stock dinnerware (and that isn't many any more,)  I always advise them to skip cups and saucers, and service pieces. If you love a china pattern buy dinner plates and appetizer/bread plates first. you can fill in with i expensive plain white or plain cream for the other pieces. Later, if important, you can spend real money on the patterned pieces. But by then maybe no one will care.

"Open stock" refers to the old fashioned concept of dinnerware that could be purchased piece by piece at a department store or specialty shop.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #5386 on: November 12, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »
Two big bags of plastic bags/baggies went to Wal-Mart, where they have a collection bin in the lobby. I took three boxes of unloved art supplies to Volunteers of America, plus a gift I'd gotten for Xmas a couple years ago and did not want (still in its gift bag, so it's ready to go for the next giftee!). I also got rid of two turtlenecks I didn't like anymore, and a mug (I recently got a new mug from sister, so I'm using the "one in, one out" rule that A Slob Comes Clean uses in her blog).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5387 on: November 12, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
Tossed three old cushions that had been on outdoor furniture. I had toyed with the idea of tossing the perished covers and keeping the cushions, but when I went to remove the covers the cushions had split, so I got to throw out the lot without feeling guilty.

Not technically decluttering since it was replaced, but in keeping with the one-in, one-out rule, we got rid of my husband's old laptop backpack and bought one better suited to his needs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5388 on: November 12, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
Well, that's one way to declutter. When we closed our door today, some lumber fell in the garage and crushed a speaker we have in there. It hasn't been getting much use anyway, so we were considering donating it. That makes the choice pretty easy right there!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5389 on: November 12, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
I have to give away 13 bits of business merch today and it's so hard as I don't see many people on Mondays. Luckily at the last minute I'm meeting a new client and a business that might refer clients (there's probably a business word for that) and they are both going to get loaded up. Another client mentioned they really like the stuff and implied they don't want to run out so they're going to get loaded up too!

This is a real stretch goal to have set myself!! My idea for the high numbers at the end of the month is dropping some to a charity to use and to some more referring businesses if I drop by. I hate promoting so it's actually good to have another reason to go.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5390 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:27 AM »
Sold the food processor that hasn't been getting any use lately.  Plus I wouldn't be able to take it with me when I move anyway.  My other listings are lingering on CL but they are all low cost $10-15 sales.  If not gone by the end of the month, I will donate them.

Talking about donations, I have several bags and boxes of stuff ready to go and sitting in the garage but didn't have the energy to bring them in this weekend.  Must do it soon though as I hate a crowded garage!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5391 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
I made my first Craigslist ads ever this weekend!  Hopefully some of this stuff will sell.

This weekend we also got rid of 2 trash bags of junk, 2 bags of cloth recycling, and donated a giant box of kitchen stuff to Goodwill, as well as the wedding dress from my (failed) first marriage.  I tried to donate my second wedding dress, but current husband said no.  It is highly amusing me that he's the one more willing to hold onto sentimental items than I am, when I was always the clingy one.

We ended up with only an hour to clean the downstairs in preparation for having people over on Saturday, and it was amazingly easy!  Most of the clutter was stuff I'm trying to sell on Craigslist.  We've found homes for everything that used to sit out now that I've given away so much other stuff.  I really can't wait until we get through the rest of the house.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5392 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »
A colleague read somewhere that whatever you keep in plastic storage tubs, you don't actually need.

Apparently this was groundbreaking new for my team.

"Oh my god, I've got so many of those and they're full to the brim. But you're right, I never wear what's in them."

Made me grateful for six solid years of decluttering/living with less.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5393 on: November 14, 2017, 05:35:42 AM »
Two big bags of plastic bags/baggies went to Wal-Mart, where they have a collection bin in the lobby. I took three boxes of unloved art supplies to Volunteers of America, plus a gift I'd gotten for Xmas a couple years ago and did not want (still in its gift bag, so it's ready to go for the next giftee!). I also got rid of two turtlenecks I didn't like anymore, and a mug (I recently got a new mug from sister, so I'm using the "one in, one out" rule that A Slob Comes Clean uses in her blog).

Oh my goodness, I love that blog! And the podcast too.

I gave away a gift I wasn't going to use for a charity raffle. It was hard because I knew it was worth money and I was tempted to sell it... but the peace of mind of it going to a good cause and getting it out of my house quickly won.

Husband continues to come around to living with less. It's so amazing to me! He was just telling my brother the other day how great it is to only have things you use, and that when we move, we are going to be ruthless about what comes with us! I can't wait (though I am still decluttering in the meantime).

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5394 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:10 AM »
I filled the recycling bin in my office up last night.  It is really hard to throw out things that I have drawn.  Even if they are junk.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5395 on: November 14, 2017, 07:54:28 AM »
I live in a foreign country. Currently cleaning out my basket of cook books. Many are written in Dutch and no Norwegians can read it. But I asked the Dutch cook at my job if he wanted to receive a pile of Dutch cookbooks. He said he would love to receive them.

For some of the cookbooks that I am keeping, we are just not using them enough. DH says we should look into more, because we keep making the same dishes. So I have put one of the cookbooks on the kitchen counter. My task is to find a recipe, buy the ingredients, and prepare it. And write the tasting result in the cookbook.

I took a look into one of the books I originally put in a bag to donate. And on the second recipe I found a note that said "tastes good". So I put this book back. Now I only donate the books I really don't ever use or the ones that only contain super exclusive ingredients that I don't want to spend money on. Then I will give the rest of the books another chance before deciding to donate them.

If there's just a handful of recipes in a book, copy them then donate the book. Get a binder with plastic sleeves and put them in there, or write on index cards and keep in an appropriate sized container.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5396 on: November 14, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
When we get rid of stuff, I always ask myself "Could someone else find value in this?"  If the answer is yes, or even maybe, we stick it out front and it's usually gone in maybe a couple of hours at most.
One time we were getting rid of a microwave cart, we stuck it out front, and 1/2 hour later I decided I could use it for something else. It was already gone!
We had a desk, gotten from my husband's Grandma, that my daughter used for school. We stuck it out front and a guy came to our door asking if it was ok to take it. I told him yes, and he said his daughter could use it for school. I explained to him that it served my daughter well and I hoped it would do the same for his daughter. We now put 'free' signs on things.
Someone has one of those basketball hoops and stand too.

My husband made a 'desk' for this computer. It was a system of pullout 'table ledges' that pulloe out but could be pushed back in to save space. The guy that did out cabinets made a new one so my husband said to just put the old one in the trash. It was so nice I told him I bet someone could use it. Habitat for Humanity said they could so we took it there. We took a bunch of unused leftover building supplies there now that we know of this place.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5397 on: November 14, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
I didn't get as much done last night as I wanted, so I tackled a couple of little jobs this morning.

Went through my husband's drawer, snapped photos with my phone of any business cards that were floating around, and tossed the actual cards.

Sorted through the little first aid kit he uses for travelling.

I've always got a to-do list when it comes to decluttering but a couple of days ago I added goals, to encourage me to think about what I'm actually working towards, rather than an endless cycle of just getting rid of Stuff.

One of those goals was to free up a second shelf in the linen cupboard so I could spread out the luggage. It had been packed on one shelf but every time you went to put something away or get something out, something invariably fell out.

This morning I realised I already have the space to do that, so I rearranged a couple of things and boom, second shelf for the luggage.

It was a Pancakes and French Fries/Mrs Kendall blog post years ago that changed my thinking on all this.

Previously I had stored luggage on the top shelf of the linen cupboard, because that's where everyone keeps luggage, out of the way until you need it. Then my husband started travelling a lot for work, and after a couple of weeks of manhandling suitcases over my head, I started actually organising things in a way that best suits us. (Yep, it took me an embarrassingly long time to get to that point.)

That meant culling the linen we never used, moving the reduced amount of spare linen to a high shelf, and putting the suitcases at waist height when you open the linen cupboard.

And now it has two shelves.

This really must be thrilling for you all to read.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5398 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
I took a look into one of the books I originally put in a bag to donate. And on the second recipe I found a note that said "tastes good". So I put this book back. Now I only donate the books I really don't ever use or the ones that only contain super exclusive ingredients that I don't want to spend money on. Then I will give the rest of the books another chance before deciding to donate them.

I love finding notes from myself in cookbooks. A couple of weeks ago I found a recipe from 2002 that said the SO liked the variation so much that they had thirds.

At lunch today I learned that a new co-worker makes overnight oats with chia seeds. So I asked if they would like an unopened bag that I have kicking around in my cupboard, and they said yes. So that is in my bag to go into the office tomorrow.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5399 on: November 15, 2017, 08:00:50 AM »
*snipped luggage Tetris*

This really must be thrilling for you all to read.

You say this, but it is stories like this that make someone realize than can fix their own storage woes by revisiting their default arrangements.