Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1353619 times)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Typical Ghoul Next Door
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5300 on: October 14, 2017, 12:00:00 AM »
I currently am having a bit of a panic attack about taking roughly 9 large boxes of various items (decor/clothes/toys) to the thrift shop tomorrow. Lots of like new "valuable" stuff that we could technically try to sell, but the idea of dealing with selling said items just makes me want to hop on the NOPEtopus to NOtown.

And some things were from my childhood/family, so there are stupid FEELINGS attached to them. But they are junk or things I absolutely can't use or even want out in my house!

Will sleep on it and possibly just wait a bit longer, as usually I will end up staring at the boxes/piles and finally get sick to death of looking at it.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5301 on: October 14, 2017, 12:12:58 AM »
Vent: I've been doing good at decluttering but got into the rabbit hole of selling some of the stuff. I have a lot of people interested but no concrete buyers yet. Not to mention the scammers that want you to ship stuff to them. Everytime I sell I go through this pain and apparently I forget :( hope it sears in memory this time and I don't sell anything more unless it's like for 100% profit.

In my experience it differs. Some items only generate messages and scam offers. But we have also sold things quickly for a good price, like three bicycles.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5302 on: October 14, 2017, 04:06:43 AM »
I have a pile of things in my courtyard that have been collecting in my shed. We have a verge pickup (council sends people around to take our stuff to the tip). Bye bye, stuff!

Gotta take some other things to the charity donation bins and work out how to get rid of our mostly full box of disposable nappies that don't fit this week. And work out how best to store outgrowth baby things for the next kiddo in 2-3 years.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5303 on: October 14, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
I threw away an old, secondhand-bought mushroom basket that didn't work well. For two years I have kept the new basket and the old. Now just the new one that I use every week. More space in the cupboard in the hall.

DH had bought a new vest from a Chinese website. The size was not as expected and the vest was too small. It didn't fit well on me either, so today we donated it.

We replaced a frying pan that had lost it's non slup. Old one was thrown away the same day.

Stupidly, I forgot to bring along the pile of technical deviced that need to be thrown away. We need to deliver this at certain places (shops that sell electrical stuff). Today we were close to such a shop, but I totally forgot. Maybe because it was still early morning. DH also forgot something he needed on that trip. Better next time...

We bougt a new snow shovel to replace one that works badly. I just need to find the old one and ditch it. I didn't find it easily, but I need to look harder tomorrow.

iris lily

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5304 on: October 14, 2017, 02:17:19 PM »
I currently am having a bit of a panic attack about taking roughly 9 large boxes of various items (decor/clothes/toys) to the thrift shop tomorrow. Lots of like new "valuable" stuff that we could technically try to sell, but the idea of dealing with selling said items just makes me want to hop on the NOPEtopus to NOtown.

And some things were from my childhood/family, so there are stupid FEELINGS attached to them. But they are junk or things I absolutely can't use or even want out in my house!

Will sleep on it and possibly just wait a bit longer, as usually I will end up staring at the boxes/piles and finally get sick to death of looking at it.

Well if I can do it so can you!several years ago I sold my baby dolls. I had hauled them feom state to state for 30 years. I loved them but felt it was time to let them go. One went to live in
Japan via ebay.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5305 on: October 14, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
We have a verge pickup (council sends people around to take our stuff to the tip).

We had ours last week. Put everything out, cheering.

Yesterday I was in the laundry and spotted the blind rack from our previous apartment. Kicking myself for forgetting to put it out.

I'd been waiting a year for council clean-up!

Meesh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5306 on: October 14, 2017, 05:17:05 PM »
Donated about 7-8 garbage bags of stuff today and it felt so good. Came back with my huge tv that hasn't been hooked up in 5 years. They wouldn't take electronics apparently.

It's also alarming to me that I had 7-8 bags to donate and still feel like I have way too much stuff. Must. get rid of. crap.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5307 on: October 14, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »
We have a verge pickup (council sends people around to take our stuff to the tip).

Yesterday I was in the laundry and spotted the blind rack from our previous apartment. Kicking myself for forgetting to put it out.

You need to find a friend in the next clean up suburb on the list who will take it....

Ours is next weekend but I believe I may live further than is appropriate to bin your thing. Can it not squish in the general bin? If it's metal and you pop it on the verge for a day it may be gone by the time you get home.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5308 on: October 14, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
huge success today. 
One huge van load of stuff donated to bibles for missions.  I don't mind using them because they have folks working there who couldn't get work any where else.
Three shelves put out on the sidewalk and they were gone before we got back from the donation drop off.
Next was scrap metal - the tool library was collecting scrap at a church downtown so it was on the way to my son's friends. 
Then hubs loaded the stuff for the sorting yard.  Shredded paper - two huge bags, three bags of plastic film, random cardboard that didn't fit in our already full bin, e-waste, toxic waste, old medications.
The garage has room for a car now.
One more parking space to clear out still but huge progress.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5309 on: October 14, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
huge success today. 
One huge van load of stuff donated to bibles for missions.  I don't mind using them because they have folks working there who couldn't get work any where else.
Three shelves put out on the sidewalk and they were gone before we got back from the donation drop off.
Next was scrap metal - the tool library was collecting scrap at a church downtown so it was on the way to my son's friends. 
Then hubs loaded the stuff for the sorting yard.  Shredded paper - two huge bags, three bags of plastic film, random cardboard that didn't fit in our already full bin, e-waste, toxic waste, old medications.
The garage has room for a car now.
One more parking space to clear out still but huge progress.

Being able to park your car in the garage is massive, congrats!

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5310 on: October 14, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
Finally got the old light fixture out of my house. I'd replaced it, and it's been sitting around for a month waiting for me to take it to Habitat for Humanity. Someone else will like it. Not me!

Also dropped off some stuff to the hazardous waste collection event today. Most of that stuff went earlier this summer, but I'm happy to get rid of the small bag too.

jordanread

« Reply #5311 on: October 14, 2017, 11:34:18 PM »
Finally got the old light fixture out of my house. I'd replaced it, and it's been sitting around for a month waiting for me to take it to Habitat for Humanity. Someone else will like it. Not me!

Also dropped off some stuff to the hazardous waste collection event today. Most of that stuff went earlier this summer, but I'm happy to get rid of the small bag too.

As one who regularly volunteers there, WE DO!!

Obligatory video when I say "WE DO"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5312 on: October 14, 2017, 11:52:18 PM »

You need to find a friend in the next clean up suburb on the list who will take it....

Ours is next weekend but I believe I may live further than is appropriate to bin your thing. Can it not squish in the general bin? If it's metal and you pop it on the verge for a day it may be gone by the time you get home.

Thanks Freshwater, I'll take it home to my parents and let my dad dispose of it.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5313 on: October 15, 2017, 02:31:22 AM »
We went to 2 donation bins today to find one that wasn't stuffed full. We are SO glad to have that stuff gone.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5314 on: October 15, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
Today I wanted to find out in which year DH and I went to live together. (Needed the information for something.)
I took out the fully stuffed drawer where our living-together contract should have been. But I think I ditched the contract after we got married. I did find the bill, so I know the date.
In the drawer I found lots of things that are just memories. Like school reports from elementary school. And diploma's from dancing championships. And a certificate that I weighed enough to not be a witch. Combined with relevant diplomas from higher education.
I guess when we'll downsize at FIRE this is one of of the personal stuff that we need to remove, just to get less stuff in total and make it easier to move between (rental) houses in the first period. Yes, I understand folks emotions about throwing away childhood memories. I am really not there yet to be rigorous about it. Maybe I should start photographing some of it to store it electronically. Then it can be thrown away later. I'll put the photografing on my todo list.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:54:23 AM by Linda_Norway »

Prairie Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5315 on: October 16, 2017, 05:25:39 AM »
Today I wanted to find out in which year DH and I went to live together. (Needed the information for something.)
I took out the fully stuffed drawer where our living-together contract should have been. But I think I ditched the contract after we got married. I did find the bill, so I know the date.
In the drawer I found lots of things that are just memories. Like school reports from elementary school. And diploma's from dancing championships. And a certificate that I weighed enough to not be a which. Combined with relevant diplomas from higher education.
I guess when we'll downsize at FIRE this is one of of the personal stuff that we need to remove, just to get less stuff in total and make it easier to move between (rental) houses in the first period. Yes, I understand folks emotions about throwing away childhood memories. I am really not there yet to be rigorous about it. Maybe I should start photographing some of it to store it electronically. Then it can be thrown away later. I'll put the photografing on my todo list.

I am planning to do this as well. I bought an external hard drive to store the pictures on, but haven't started doing it yet. I'm also planning to store family photos on it, so when I downsize I can get rid of the paper copies.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5316 on: October 16, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »
I'm reading Marie Kondo's book on tidying and although it sounds hokey, am loving the approach of thanking things and releasing them. If I keep it up much longer, I may only have the dog and my bed left in the house soon :)

I just finished the book this weekend.  It's a lovely new perspective, and it is working for practical me.

I started with my dresser this weekend - dumped everything out on the bed and touched each item.  She was right - my reactions to each piece were really different.  I now have about 1/2 of what I started with, and it is folded nicely so I can actually find a pair of socks.  (I found 5 pairs of stockings still in the packaging that I must have bought 5 years ago.  I kept buying because I couldn't find anything.)

I also did a second pass through my closet, and I've already got some items in mind for a third pass.  In total, 2 large bags to Goodwill, 1 large bag to cloth recycling.   

We are recycling a tv whose screen is just about dead, and we decided to sell the treadmill, and, if I really decide I need one, I can find a newer, smaller model on sale later. 

Hubby and I decided the bedroom "feels" different now - we were both calmer now that we've gotten so much stuff out of it. 

While we watched tv last night, I thanked and released 40% of my cd collection.

Husband worriedly asked if he's going to be on the list of things to thank and release.  I told him he brings joy, so he gets to stay.  The kids, well.....   

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5317 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:18 AM »
Any ideas how/where to get rid of perfume, scented lotions, bath salts, and mostly full Scentsy packs?  I cleared out the "things that smell good" category last night and I have a lot of stuff that needs to go away.  Most is unopened; some has been opened and tried once or twice before I realized I didn't like it.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5318 on: October 17, 2017, 07:50:33 AM »
@FDM, have you tried a freecycle/facebook buy and sell group?

Mr.HH has staged our house to move, and now that I see it all empty and cleaned out, it makes me so happy, but also sad, because we don't get to enjoy it in it's clutter free state. Have to remember this when we unpacking...I still feel like we have too much stuff, and want to sort through it even more.

Not sure how much stuff we got rid of in the end, but we definitely moved out with significantly less stuff than what we moved in. We only will be using 2 U-haul Pods (which is the recommended for a 1 bdrm apartment), we technically have a 3 bedroom small house, so it makes me happy that we have way less stuff than the average mover.

Car Jack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5319 on: October 20, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
Slowly but surely.  College son is home and has made a HUGE dent in the Legos, selling off some more valuable ones, then putting together a 10 pound random piece box and shipping them all out.  Meanwhile, I've been digging through an attic storage area, bringing more legos, burnable crap and Brio stuff out.  Found the one thing I have been searching for....a brio train roundhouse.  Granted, it's not worth much, but this was the one big thing I knew we still had.  Brio stuff now up on craigslist.  Have removed (and burned) a bunch of empty boxes that were in storage.  Why are we storing empty boxes?  Continued baby plastic toys and pieces into the recycling bin (youngest son is 17.....we need baby stuff why?).  Also saving yu-gi-oh! cards and Magic the Gathering cards as college son has found buyers.  Son greeted me when I got home yesterday and said that our upstairs room (where the mess resides) is starting to look like space has opened.  This is good and bad.  If my wife notices, she'll probably go ape shit.  My plan now includes getting a bin of similar crap from the basement, dumping it upstairs and then bringing the container to the recycling center to hide the evidence.  She won't notice basement reduction in crap.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5320 on: October 20, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
For the unopened lotions and salts - have you tried your local woman's shelter? The women and families there often have to leave on short notice with nothing, and certainly need a bit more joy in their lives as they rebuild.

Also, it is nice for them to get a small care package when they move out to their new homes.

For opened things and perfume, I second Freecycle.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5321 on: October 20, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »
Slowly but surely.  College son is home and has made a HUGE dent in the Legos, selling off some more valuable ones, then putting together a 10 pound random piece box and shipping them all out.  Meanwhile, I've been digging through an attic storage area, bringing more legos, burnable crap and Brio stuff out.  Found the one thing I have been searching for....a brio train roundhouse.  Granted, it's not worth much, but this was the one big thing I knew we still had.  Brio stuff now up on craigslist.  Have removed (and burned) a bunch of empty boxes that were in storage.  Why are we storing empty boxes?  Continued baby plastic toys and pieces into the recycling bin (youngest son is 17.....we need baby stuff why?).  Also saving yu-gi-oh! cards and Magic the Gathering cards as college son has found buyers.  Son greeted me when I got home yesterday and said that our upstairs room (where the mess resides) is starting to look like space has opened.  This is good and bad.  If my wife notices, she'll probably go ape shit.  My plan now includes getting a bin of similar crap from the basement, dumping it upstairs and then bringing the container to the recycling center to hide the evidence.  She won't notice basement reduction in crap.

Carjack,  this seems like it could have huge negative impact on your wife's and mental health and your family relationships.  Are you exploring professional help or ways to help her deal with whatever is holding her back and making it so difficult for her to let go of this? 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5322 on: October 20, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Carjack, I second getting your wife involved sooner than later. It'll keep the trust factor in the relationship intact. I know many people who would freak out if their spouse had been removing stuff from home under their nose without their knowledge..... even if that stuff is pure crap. You know your wife better but if she has so much attachment to this stuff as you say, it's better to get her onboard.

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5323 on: October 20, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
The problem with people that will throw away nothing is that usually therapy is unsuccessful and so is talking to the person. It is a deep seated behavior usually from childhood trauma, not having enough, not feeling good enough, etc.  Yes she may be mad if she finds out but she may never find out.   The person that would like a decent home has some rights too and 9 times out of 10 talking to the hoarder is not going to work.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5324 on: October 20, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
The problem with people that will throw away nothing is that usually therapy is unsuccessful and so is talking to the person. It is a deep seated behavior usually from childhood trauma, not having enough, not feeling good enough, etc.  Yes she may be mad if she finds out but she may never find out.   The person that would like a decent home has some rights too and 9 times out of 10 talking to the hoarder is not going to work.
I'm not sure, even if you're correct about the statistics, that just because it's likely not to work that he shouldn't try at all? That seems rather defeatist and guaranteed to have a bad outcome, instead of maybe him trying for a good outcome?

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tackled the garage!
« Reply #5325 on: October 20, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
Yes, the garage can fit two vehicles now. Gave away books, clothing, furniture, backpacks, and paint. As others have mentioned, I still feel like there is so much more I want to get rid of. One step at the time!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5326 on: October 20, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
My guess is that he has tried many times through out the years and nothing has worked.   But I agreed if he never tried that he should have.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5327 on: October 20, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
Did a Goodwill run and put together stuff for sales. If they don't sell in a week or two, they'll be donated too. At this point, I'm done with the first pass through home and now have a few areas I need to concentrate on. I can't believe how much we've given away, trashed and sold. Still they keep coming! But we are atleast down to just a few areas needing attention now.

JoJoP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5328 on: October 21, 2017, 09:49:01 PM »
There's a theme here - I also decluttered my bookshelves this weekend.

I had a few cookbooks where there was one recipe I loved, but I knew I probably wasn't going to make anything else out of it. I photographed the recipe on my phone, printed it out and put it in my recipe binder. Books can now be donated.

I showed my husband what I was keeping, including a book I thought he would never get rid of. (I do not touch his stuff, as I find I can make a huge difference just doing my own, and I don't want to be a nag). Anyway, he saw that book, and said, "oh, you can get rid of that". That would not have happened 18 months ago.

He is really coming round. Since I removed one of our two bookcases he keeps saying, "Oh there is so much space! Doesn't it look great? Oh it's so lovely having so much less stuff". I really think I may be winning the war without fighting a single battle :)

You're an inspiration! 

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5329 on: October 22, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »
There's a theme here - I also decluttered my bookshelves this weekend.

I had a few cookbooks where there was one recipe I loved, but I knew I probably wasn't going to make anything else out of it. I photographed the recipe on my phone, printed it out and put it in my recipe binder. Books can now be donated.

I showed my husband what I was keeping, including a book I thought he would never get rid of. (I do not touch his stuff, as I find I can make a huge difference just doing my own, and I don't want to be a nag). Anyway, he saw that book, and said, "oh, you can get rid of that". That would not have happened 18 months ago.

He is really coming round. Since I removed one of our two bookcases he keeps saying, "Oh there is so much space! Doesn't it look great? Oh it's so lovely having so much less stuff". I really think I may be winning the war without fighting a single battle :)

You're an inspiration!

This reminds me of me having too many cookbooks. They still fit onto two shelves of an Ikea Billy book shelf. But there are books that I literally never look into, or do look into, but always put away without inspiration. Time do clean up and throw away those that don't add anything new to alternatives on the internet. Those that I might keep are the ones with general instructions and the ones with inspirational recipies and pictures. And the ones that are most often used.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5330 on: October 22, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
Pulled out the winter clothes and put away the summer ones last night. Per my usual habit, I evaluated items that could go away. Have a bag of clothes ready for donation. Also gathered the handful of other items that I wanted to dispose of.

There's a box of books that I've been shipping out for my sister (she's selling online). Logistics are fun, thus why I have them instead of her. The remainder will be donated by the end of the year, until then they're out of the way. And once the current ebay listings expire, I'll add the unsold pictures I got from mom's house to the donation pile.

Also, the garage is done for the year! It's been a project all summer, scraping, painting, replacing bad wood, etc. Some parts were left for next year, but everything for this year is done. I spent a little bit of time cleaning out the garage. Filled a bucket with the dirt from the floor, organized some things. I'll have to do some more rearranging and cleaning so I can get the car in this winter, but it's sooooo much better already.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5331 on: October 23, 2017, 07:38:32 AM »
Packed two boxes with decor items (a large vase, several candleholders) and entertainment items (charger plates, fancy glasses) to bring to consignment - if they don't want them, they will go to Goodwill.  Also prepped a box of random kitchen and household stuff for donation.
 Reduced two drawers of random papers, office supplies, holiday cards, etc. to one.  Things ended up in a shred pile, the donation pile or went back to the office at work.  A couple of weeks ago, I went through a pile of recipe printouts and clippings and got rid of pretty much everything.  I'm left with just a few favorites that I filed in a recipe book. 

Things I want to tackle this week:
- repost items previously posted on CL that haven't sold
- prepare listings for a few additional items I want to sell
- go through some bins in the basement and prepare items for donation

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5332 on: October 23, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Contributed 2 bags of clothing to qualify for an upcoming clothing swap.

Finished a container of bubble bath.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5333 on: October 23, 2017, 08:11:26 AM »
Two furniture items posted on kijiji.
One car fits in the garage and I can see how ten items re-homed would permit a second car in the garage as well.  We are so close!

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5334 on: October 23, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
You go Frugal Lizard - success is within your grasp:)

Finally finished clearing out the utility room and sorted out the trash area. It feels so good to have a clear space again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5335 on: October 23, 2017, 09:28:17 PM »
Two furniture items posted on kijiji.
One car fits in the garage and I can see how ten items re-homed would permit a second car in the garage as well.  We are so close!

That will be an awesome milestone!

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5336 on: October 30, 2017, 01:40:52 PM »
Apparently Freecycle/etc are not a thing in the suburb where I live.  I found one FB group with minimal involvement and managed to get rid of all of my perfume (the woman who took them was so grateful - she lost everything during the Harvey floods).

The unopened other things I've put in a bag to bring to the woman's shelter to see if they'll take it.   The rest of the opened things are now sitting in a box near my front door to entice visitors (my ex actually took a bottle of extra-special "swimsuit detergent" that I must have been feverish when I purchased).

We've turned our den into a staging place for Craigslist ads; in addition to stuff we don't want, my kids are piling up toys that they want to sell.  We promised to give them any money their stuff brings in.  Within two hours of that pronouncement, it looked like Toys R Us threw up in the den - and they still aren't done!

We sent 4 bags of non-donation-quality cloth (stained tablecloths, old towels, used socks, etc) to the recycle place.

I got rid of 1/3 of my jewelry.  My daughters took some of the earrings and necklaces I'd had for decades, and the rest can go to the donation center.  I can actually see all of what is left.  No more digging around trying to find something and/or forgetting I owned it.

I am a book hoarder by any definition.  Although H and I went through the bookshelves this summer and gave away more than 100, I did a second pass this weekend.  I have another 67 books to bring to Half-Priced Books, plus 22 I want to read once more and then get rid of.    This is a relatively small portion of my books, but STILL, I'm so proud of me!  Every pass, it gets easier to get rid of stuff (goodbye, Jane Austen "sequels" that my well-intentioned family thought I might one day read).

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5337 on: October 30, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
My DH decluttered the study which he uses for his various projects. He selected a computer screen, two computer mice, a keyboard and a bunch of data cables to be thrown away. I added a stove that the previous owner of our house used to cooking tar, pluss some other electrical stuff that has been waiting in a drawer to be driven away. I drove it all to the local garbage place, as we are not supposed to throw away electral stuff in our bin.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5338 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:37 PM »
I need to be in this thread more and decluttering more. I did a little this weekend:

This weekend I found some perfume and perfume samples in my bathroom. I never wear perfume. I gave them away on our FB buy nothing page and they were gone in an hour.

I threw away a bunch of old makeup and filled another bag with 'make up to throw away the next time I decide I don't care about makeup but can't bear to throw away today'.

Maybe this has been asked and answered: Do you guys scan all your old photograph prints? I have all these old photo albums I have pulled the photos out of. But I think I'd like to scan them and make them digital but that seems so overwhelming and time consuming compared to just throwing them in a box. Any ideas?

Another item stumped me. It's a music box from when I was a kid. It seems to no longer work. It was bought in Switzerland (I was born in Europe) so it's a nice antique. I was thinking I would give it to my daughter when I found it wouldn't work. Can these be repaired? Or should I toss it? Anyone know?

Also, any suggestions for people who have plenty of space to store this junk but still want to get rid of it? This is the hard part for me. My junk 'fits' in my closet. But my closet is HUGE. Or kitchen stuff, etc. How can I motivate myself when I can hide everything behind doors and it's still neat?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:21:01 PM by honeybbq »

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5339 on: October 30, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
I need to be in this thread more and decluttering more. I did a little this weekend:

This weekend I found some perfume and perfume samples in my bathroom. I never wear perfume. I gave them away on our FB buy nothing page and they were gone in an hour.

I threw away a bunch of old makeup and filled another bag with 'make up to throw away the next time I decide I don't care about makeup but can't bear to throw away today'.

Maybe this has been asked and answered: Do you guys scan all your old photograph prints? I have all these old photo albums I have pulled the photos out of. But I think I'd like to scan them and make them digital but that seems so overwhelming and time consuming compared to just throwing them in a box. Any ideas?

Another item stumped me. It's a music box from when I was a kid. It seems to no longer work. It was bought in Switzerland (I was born in Europe) so it's a nice antique. I was thinking I would give it to my daughter when I found it wouldn't work. Can these be repaired? Or should I toss it? Anyone know?

Also, any suggestions for people who have plenty of space to store this junk but still want to get rid of it? This is the hard part for me. My junk 'fits' in my closet. But my closet is HUGE. Or kitchen stuff, etc. How can I motivate myself when I can hide everything behind doors and it's still neat?

About the photos, it would be time consuming. If you want to get rid of the physical photos but don't have the time, there are probably services out there. Or if they are family pics, maybe there's a teenager in the family who you might pay to do it?

The music box, I have no idea myself but here we have a couple of volunteer staffed places where they try and fix things (to keep them from landfill). Do you have anything like that?

With the cupboards - if you know it is really junk, leave the doors open the whole time and you might feel motivated to deal with it!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5340 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
honeybbq

For photos, I just keep them in the box.  It is so easy, easy is very good! and every 5-7 years, I pull them out and look through them.  I prefer the printed versions to online because I never look at photos more than 7 years old online.  And it is so much easier.  They are all stored in a 1/2 trunk, so together and out of the way.

Music box -- I have one from Germany, too, from when I was about 13 and bought with my own money on a trip.  Kids broke it about 10 years ago, but I keep it because it brings me good memories, even broken.  DD wouldn't want it the same way, she liked it when she was small and while it worked.  I would get rid of it if YOU don't want to keep it... But yes, these can be fixed, as simple as buying a new music mechanism on-line and replacing the old one.

I have a ton of space...  It is hard to get rid of stuff, but easier in some ways, too.  I ask myself "Have I touched this in the past 4 years?".  If the answer is no, it is an easy item to purge.   I can wait until I "feel like it" to go through things.   I can only do this easy purge because I have 4 years of stuff and so much room.   Sometimes I keep good things that I don't use... but then after 2 years, I can bring myself to chuck it.   (I am looking at you, inflatable mattress! Your day has come!). 

Off to my camping storage...   That is a hard one for me because I love so much of it and have used it, but when is it truly worn out enough to not want to use it again.. or could I use it a few more times if I patch, but should I get rid of it because I have a different item that overlaps the same role, but maybe it is not quite as good in HEAVY rain after all, and just in case??  Also, I randomly need to outfit more people than I ever thought (kids + friends for a backpack trip?! )  I can spend a lot on camping each year prepping to fill holes in my "needs", so when I have lots of used stuff to choose from, i don't spend nearly as much, and I know this, so I store a lot more than I need to.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5341 on: October 30, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
I cleaned out the pantry on the weekends and parted with some empty spice jars (I have more than enough to keep reusing).

After looking for the right size box to organise a few things in the bathroom (our vanity is one big drawer), I finally came to my senses and started using a spare toiletry bag. Saved money and put something to use, win win.

Threw out four very faded cushion covers (after saving the cute buttons) that had been outside, plus one of the cushions that was getting past it.

Tossed out five magazines and my 2007 diary (as in, planner diary, not journal diary).

That leaves 2008-2016. I have no concrete reason to keep them, except for a tiny voice that says I might need to check the dates of something. At the very least I could toss up to 2012 and keep the past five years for tax reasons.

For all my decluttering, stuff seems to be piling up twice as fast:
- FiL stayed on the weekend and left a pair of hiking boots because he couldn't fit them in his luggage to go home
- bottle refund scheme starts in December so I'm saving bottles in the laundry
- a friend gave me a bag of baby clothes for another friend
- I have a birthday present for one friend, and a growing stash of presents put away for Christmas

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5342 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
Honey BBQ, I followed the konmari method and ask myself if an item brings joy. If your music table does, maybe repair and keep it. If not, since it's an antique, museums might be interested.

Also, my goal is to have less stuff to deal with, period. When I move I want to have an easy and light move. I also now feel sad for things that are not used regularly. That spurs me to let go of more.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5343 on: October 30, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
One item sold.  Interest in the second item. 
Toys are going to my brother's kids on Sunday. 
Have to drop off the table to a friend once the toys are gone.  So so close....

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5344 on: October 30, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
Camping items in garage now sorted and put away.  Two large bins worth for sale or donation.   Still have inside camping items (sleeping bags) to go through.  Moved the utility trailer back into garage, and tomorrow will get the car in there, too.

I have a severe problem with loving bags and backpacks of all types.   Can't seem to toss those.  Other than that, I think I was pretty straight forward.  It helps that I did this 2 years ago, and tossed a lot of pure crap then. 

Next problem -- should I actually have a mini craigs-list one day sale with all of the stuff? (Each room cleared adds another bin's worth to the pile.. the pile is growing).  Some items are worthy of selling individually on craig's list, and many others would get taken away for free. Hmmmmm....

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #5345 on: October 31, 2017, 02:47:56 AM »
Camping items in garage now sorted and put away.  Two large bins worth for sale or donation.   Still have inside camping items (sleeping bags) to go through.  Moved the utility trailer back into garage, and tomorrow will get the car in there, too.

I have a severe problem with loving bags and backpacks of all types.   Can't seem to toss those.  Other than that, I think I was pretty straight forward.  It helps that I did this 2 years ago, and tossed a lot of pure crap then. 

Next problem -- should I actually have a mini craigs-list one day sale with all of the stuff? (Each room cleared adds another bin's worth to the pile.. the pile is growing).  Some items are worthy of selling individually on craig's list, and many others would get taken away for free. Hmmmmm....

Wow, well done, congratulations on your progress! I can understand that having a large 'Get Rid Of' pile is a new challenge. First challenge is going through everything and deciding whether you want to keep it or not, but then... do you sell, donate or throw away? Such a hassle! In my experience, some thing I thought would definitely sell haven't sold and things I was planning to donate got sold quickly. It's a strange market... What I've done with a similar heap: post *everything* online with the price you'd like to get. Ten days later, reduce the price of all items that are left (I mostly cut the price in half). Ten days after that, reduce to 'free pickup'. Ten days after that: donate whatever's left. At that point I'd rather have my space and time back.

Frugal Lizard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5346 on: October 31, 2017, 06:57:52 AM »

Wow, well done, congratulations on your progress! I can understand that having a large 'Get Rid Of' pile is a new challenge. First challenge is going through everything and deciding whether you want to keep it or not, but then... do you sell, donate or throw away? Such a hassle! In my experience, some thing I thought would definitely sell haven't sold and things I was planning to donate got sold quickly. It's a strange market... What I've done with a similar heap: post *everything* online with the price you'd like to get. Ten days later, reduce the price of all items that are left (I mostly cut the price in half). Ten days after that, reduce to 'free pickup'. Ten days after that: donate whatever's left. At that point I'd rather have my space and time back.
I like the methodology.  Wish I had done it that way.

Maybe for the next round.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5347 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »
This thread is so motivating for me!  Well done, everyone.  I've been following but haven't posted in a while.

Preparing for move after the holidays. 
Yesterday I listed a couple of lamps, a printer, and a cabinet on the FB Marketplace.  Sold the cabinet in a matter of minutes!

I also rounded up some books that don't belong to me and I'm going to return those to their rightful owners this weekend. 

I further culled  my already small DVD collection (if I haven't watched it in five+ years, I'm not going to watch it again)

I ordered a bag from ThredUp to mail in some of my nicer clothes I need to get rid of (bridesmaid dresses and the like). 

I'm also planning to start the Project 333 for the month of November.  Only wear 33 items for three months (only I am only going to do it until I move so it's more like two months).  I'm going to pull out my 33 items to wear and pack up the rest. 

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5348 on: October 31, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

About the photos, it would be time consuming. If you want to get rid of the physical photos but don't have the time, there are probably services out there. Or if they are family pics, maybe there's a teenager in the family who you might pay to do it?

The music box, I have no idea myself but here we have a couple of volunteer staffed places where they try and fix things (to keep them from landfill). Do you have anything like that?

With the cupboards - if you know it is really junk, leave the doors open the whole time and you might feel motivated to deal with it!

Re: the music box - actually I think I saw something on facebook the other day.  A Tinker-er shop or something like that. Good idea!

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5349 on: October 31, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »
I'm also going to use Thredup after reading this thread. Thanks!