Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850112 times)

sobezen

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5150 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
Just like there is mental garbage, there is also bloatware on phones and computers.  Keep both forms of unnecessary garbage out of your life.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5151 on: September 07, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »
A bit unconventional for this thread, but I just deleted a ton of apps on my phone that I haven't used in a while.

Less stuff to manage.  Potential savings in time, bandwidth and even electricity.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5152 on: September 08, 2017, 03:30:09 AM »
A bit unconventional for this thread, but I just deleted a ton of apps on my phone that I haven't used in a while.

Less stuff to manage.  Potential savings in time, bandwidth and even electricity.

I agree. Getting rid of digital clutter is still valid decluttering.

I would include getting rid of financial accounts as part of this. Last year after we paid off our house, we eliminated 2 accounts associated with the mortgage holder. We also closed the joint account the mortgage holder used to use for automatic payments. I closed an old HSA account and transferred the money to my current HSA. The fewer accounts you have, the easier it is to manage your finances.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5153 on: September 08, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »
Well, in my never ending quest to declutter, we found some gold (not real gold, just keep reading...).  So my college son spent the summer working and also researching and selling his old Legos.  He figures out what's worth good money and sells small collections.  He's brought in well over $1000 doing this and as his last sale before heading back to college, put a somewhat random box of 15 pounds of legos out there and sold it for $110.  Ok.....next thing he starts researching.  Do you remember the old yu-gi-oh! cards that kids spent way too much money on.  TV cartoons to feed the craving.  Well, he found a bunch of his old "valuable" ones, most well preserved in perfect condition.  These are all serialized, so they can be researched to find their age and potential value.  Well, one that's in a protective case has several examples that have sold on eBay for over $500!  Yikes!  So we've worked into our hidden decluttering, looking for these cards.  What do I mean by hidden?  Well, the wife just can't bring herself to throw anything out so I bring her a 6"x9"x12" container with things I think should be thrown out (mostly random small plastic parts to baby toy kits.....my youngest turns 17 in 2 weeks) and this has been sitting for her to go through for 3 months.  So while on the lookout for yu-gi-oh! cards or magic, the gathering cards, I put paper crap in one bag and plastic crap in another.  When she's out, these get dumped into the appropriate recycling containers.  I'd estimate I've offloaded about 10 full trash barrels of stuff over the past 3 years and nobody even notices since we have every toy (from our inlaws) known to man in our house from when the kids were little.

Little bites out of the clutter at a time.  We'll get there.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5154 on: September 08, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »
This is somewhat depressing - the more I get into clearing out the more clearing out there appears to be. 

I am putting my office / studio back together after some redecorating.  This means throwing out stuff I printed out more than a decade ago and moved without even looking at then.  I am a pack rat.  And a slob -so much dust - and I am finding mold - boy this is going to be great when it is done.

The new storage units are supposed to hold everything.  All tools, supplies and references are being sorted and nothing gets to stay without a good dusting first and then it has to be stored with all the similar tools so I can find everything.  This means digging into other hoards of stuff to consolidate and pitch.  In the end I and daughter will have all our materials for sewing, krafting, art making and my paid work all in one area and all easy to access - and most important - put away when finished.

We have been here 7 years and things are out of control because this house has too many storage spaces.  I keep carrying things up to the garage and now the garage is a complete disaster. Last weekend Hubs did a dump run and you would never know it.  I haven't even looked under the stairs and only peaked in the sauna (it is full of junk) and there are two giant closets packed to the gills.

Enough mold and dust for today.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5155 on: September 08, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
Just needed to announce to all those that have been observing my journey that I've now gotten rid of my Bicycle.  That bike served me well and allowed me to sell my car earlier this year.  I'm kind of sad now that I think of it, but it was definitely necessary for what we plan to do in the future.  It's strange how quickly things that you thought were important just don't seem that sentimental anymore when you learn to disassociate yourself with the notion (provoked by marketing and peers) of material possessions.  I know I'll buy another bike when we get settled again, but the bike itself isn't what matters; it's how I choose to enjoy it and push myself forward while on it.

Anyhow, I have only until a week from Monday to sort through and donate the rest of the items.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Honda/Acura brake pads
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Paper Shredder
- Random 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- LCD TV

To be listed:
- Multiple plate sets
- Random tools
- SA2010 Race Helmet
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Card Table and 5 chairs
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
- TSX Rotors
- Shop Vac
- Queen bed set
- Standing Hammock
- TV Stand
- Folding Bicycle
- Small TV Stand
- queen Mattress, box spring, frame
- 2 shoe racks
- small weed whacker
- Civic Si suspension
- 8 person tent
- my bike (2007 Trek 7.2 FX)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5156 on: September 08, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »
Such great progress reports from everyone!  I am planning to bring the stuff I've been gathering around the house to Goodwill this weekend.  And I'm going to put together another batch of clothing for consignment and bring it in next week. 

I've decided that I want to live a minimalist lifestyle when I move next year.  My current place is about 1600 sq ft and I will be downsizing to 650 sq ft.  I'm looking forward to having less.  A lot less!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5157 on: September 08, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Finally tossed a little stool that was left in my garage by the previous tenants of my apartment.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5158 on: September 08, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
I'm moving tomorrow and it's been much easier to pack this time than when I moved 3 months ago. I specifically got rid of decorations and things that were particularly difficult to pack, such as decorative paper lantern lights. Or a pretty cool set of reusable stickers that made a tree on a wall. Not worth the effort. Now all that's left is like two pictures and some glued and framed puzzles.

I do still have a dream catcher left that isn't super easy to pack but it has stayed together pretty well and I really like it. I'm trying to only keep things that I see myself keeping for life. What's the point of temporary decorations?

Same with kitchen stuff--I'm almost 100% cast iron now. Less toxic (especially if I ever get a pet bird) and will last forever!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5159 on: September 09, 2017, 03:29:18 AM »
Tossed a couple more things from the balcony. Feeling good.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5160 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:47 AM »
I hope there was nobody underneath.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5161 on: September 09, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
DD came home for a weekend and we did a major haul in the garage - I had a huge pile of recycling out that week.  I am still shredding old papers and bank statements and those are done (I think) and I am now doing old insurance policies.  I keep thinking I have mostly empty boxes now, and then I pick one up and it is not empty! 

I've donated masses of old books and magazines.  If it is fiction that my local library has, it goes.  A lot of the non-fiction (reference material) is also in the going/gone category.  I've always been a heavy-duty reader, so getting rid of books is probably one of the most traumatic parts of decluttering for me.

Basement is next, craft things need sorting and decluttering.  Christmas decorations too.  Re crafts, I had a very pretty sheet set (lovely embroidery at the top of the sheet) wear out, and I am proud of myself that it hit the garbage instead of being stored for salvage of the embroidery part.

Almost of all DD's stuff is now at her place, and the rest is in a neat pile in the garage for my next trip there, so all this stuff is mine, all mine, only me to blame.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5162 on: September 09, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
I got rid of a bunch of old baseball cards this week. My parents bought me complete sets for Christmas for a few years when I was a kid, but they pretty much just went up in the attic. I checked the value online, and they weren't worth much at all. Like $20-30 for a box in good shape. I sold the one that was still in it's original box and gave away the ones that I stored in these cheesy baseball shaped storage cases my parents got. I'm pretty confident many of the cards were missing from the ones that I stored in the cases.

Now I just need to get rid of my old comic books. Of the 300 some books I have, only about 20 of them are worth anything. The rest I probably couldn't sell for the cover price :(

I don't collect anything anymore. Collecting is more of a hassle than it's worth especially when you no longer want the burden of caring for the collection or trying to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:13:12 AM by mies »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5163 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
I hope there was nobody underneath.

Hehehehehe.

Point taken.

I disposed of a some things that had been stored on the balcony.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5164 on: September 10, 2017, 04:32:29 AM »
Brought 2 bags of clothes, 3 pairs of shoes and 3 bags of miscellaneous stuff to Goodwill yesterday.  Another batch of clothes is ready for consignment and I will bring it in on Monday.  Still finding things around the house that I can get rid of.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5165 on: September 10, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
The box of Wedgewood I've been trying to sell for months finally sold! yay! All packed up, I'll take to the post office tomorrow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5166 on: September 11, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
16 things picked up that I gave away on the buy nothing project. Including 8 graphing calculators.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5167 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
Brought a bunch of clothing items to the consignment store.  They took all but a few that were not in season.  I have some more winter things that I will bring at the beginning of October as it is still too early for them.  Received $69.84 for prior sales.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5168 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
Trying to figure out what to do with my MIL's old silver cutlery...

Took another small bag to the community thrift store.  I get tax deductions, not cash, but they invest all proceeds directly back into our local community.  It's my way of doing "United Way" without doing "United Way."

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5169 on: September 12, 2017, 12:00:18 PM »
Trying to figure out what to do with my MIL's old silver cutlery...

Took another small bag to the community thrift store.  I get tax deductions, not cash, but they invest all proceeds directly back into our local community.  It's my way of doing "United Way" without doing "United Way."

Kudos for keeping it local and not contributing towards the United Way CEO's salary of over $1.2MM.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #5170 on: September 14, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
We are halfway through installing the second hand kitchen cabinets we have been storing in our garage for the last year. I have started mentally preparing my partner that once the cabinets are out of the garage we will be going through everything we have stored out there during the renovations and deciding what we want to bring into the house and what we are ready to get rid of. Some of the books may need to stay in the garage until we get around to building the built in shelves we are planning (seems silly to buy bookcases for 6 months of use) but there is plenty that can go.

One of the challenges for me has been convincing him that it's ok not to provide unlimited free storage to family and friends - usually for things they don't want themselves but can't quite bring themselves to get rid of. If someone has left something with you for years, while they've changed their living situation several times, they're probably not going to wake up one day and think 'Gee, it's quite rude that I've been expecting XX to store my crap for years without making any effort to find a home for it. I better go and pick it up or let them know they can get rid of it.'. These people need a little push. 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5171 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
This weekend is the great closet purge of '17. Posting here for accountability. I have a real problem getting rid of clothes (6 Rubbermaid totes of stuff that doesn't fit, plus a jammed walk in closet). but sometimes you have to just rip the bandaid off.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #5172 on: September 14, 2017, 08:04:11 PM »
Listening to radio coverage of the damage Irma left behind, I heard one woman describing how the storm took everything she owned. The house is wrecked, her possessions are gone or damaged beyond repair, her clothes are gone or ruined. She literally has nothing.

It made me look around and re-evaluate the value of a lot of my stuff and wonder why I have some of it at all.

If a storm wrecked my home and possessions, what would I bother replacing? What would I take  with me as I fled ahead of the storm? If I was that woman on the radio, how would I face starting from absolute zero stuff?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5173 on: September 15, 2017, 07:13:15 AM »
This weekend is the great closet purge of '17. Posting here for accountability. I have a real problem getting rid of clothes (6 Rubbermaid totes of stuff that doesn't fit, plus a jammed walk in closet). but sometimes you have to just rip the bandaid off.

Good luck!  I have problems with clothes and shoes as well.  I've made a lot of progress but still have a ways to go.  Let us know how it went on Monday!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5174 on: September 15, 2017, 07:50:10 AM »

Well, those 6 totes are going to be pretty easy. Straight to consignment/donation. Good luck with the rest!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5175 on: September 15, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
Listening to radio coverage of the damage Irma left behind, I heard one woman describing how the storm took everything she owned. The house is wrecked, her possessions are gone or damaged beyond repair, her clothes are gone or ruined. She literally has nothing.

It made me look around and re-evaluate the value of a lot of my stuff and wonder why I have some of it at all.

If a storm wrecked my home and possessions, what would I bother replacing? What would I take  with me as I fled ahead of the storm? If I was that woman on the radio, how would I face starting from absolute zero stuff?

I actually think I would be okay. I don't even have that many clothes, less than four garbage bags full doing the hanger/garbage bag trick. Maybe 3 weeks worth of clothes, most of which are t-shirts/tank tops?

Really, the only thing I'd be upset about is my bike probably, but even that wasn't super expensive. The car tools would be a little annoying to replace but it would be easy to find the same stuff again.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5176 on: September 15, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
I don't even have that many clothes, less than four garbage bags full doing the hanger/garbage bag trick.

I am ignorant.  What is this trick?

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5177 on: September 15, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
I don't even have that many clothes, less than four garbage bags full doing the hanger/garbage bag trick.

Image attached. It's not super common, but very helpful! Keeps your clothes all in the same order and it only takes a couple minutes.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5178 on: September 15, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »

Image attached. It's not super common, but very helpful! Keeps your clothes all in the same order and it only takes a couple minutes.

Ooo, fancy that!  Thank you!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5179 on: September 15, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
Put out another 15 children's books and workbooks in the Little Free Library.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5180 on: September 16, 2017, 03:30:18 AM »
I pulled down some old telephone wiring that was stapled to the walls in my garage by a previous owner. It wasn't connected to the phone wire in the house and it wasn't connected to a jack either. Somebody in the past started the job of removing it but never finished it. So I just had random wire stapled to the wall at that point.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5181 on: September 16, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »

Good luck!  I have problems with clothes and shoes as well.  I've made a lot of progress but still have a ways to go.  Let us know how it went on Monday!

I took everything out of the closet, and I am only putting back stuff that fits, and which I love. Currently 4 garbage bags full are in the car. I had to repair a small patch of drywall, and I am currently taking a break and waiting for that to dry. Then I can put a shelf and rod back up that has literally been hanging up with ropes for the last 10 or so years. A lot of this effort is because I am planning to downsize in the future, so I want the closet to look all fancy and be a selling point. I will probably only put some empty baskets on the repaired shelf for fear it might fall down again.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5182 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »
We took 10 cubic meter of thrash to the dump yesterday! Granted, most of it wasn't mine. A friend and I rented a van together - she's moving out and leaving most of her stuff behind. When we want to get rid of something, we put it in the garage and wait until someone we know is renting a van so we can share the cost.

We dumped three old sofas. We have been given several nearly-worn out sofas in the past by friends who bought a new one. We then used them until they would literally break down or couldn't be cleaned anymore, then we'd put them in the garage to be taken to the dump in the future. We now have a really nice (free) sofa that's nearly brand new and hopefully this one will last us years. We also took some chairs to the dump that weren't safe to sit on and an extremely worn out chest of drawers.

We are now for the first time at the point where all our furniture is nice-looking and functional and we don't expect anything to need replacement within the next 5 years. We've had a lot of semi-worn-out furniture in the past 10 years and we're now at the point where our house looks nice and cosy and put-together. We are extremely happy with the result. We feel like proper 'grown-ups' now (end 20s/early 30s) and we still barely spent any money on it. A lot of it is older, quality wooden furniture that we restored and refinished ourselves.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5183 on: September 23, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
This is a big day.

To Goodwill:
--Bread machine (working)
--Skis
--T-shirts from a past job

Waiting to be loaded into the truck and taken to electronics recycling drop-off:
--Power Mac G4
--Windows tower PC
--2 CRT monitors
--2 keyboards
--combo VCR/DVD player
--DISH satellite receiver from 2000
--CD player that was old when I bought it at a yard sale in the 1990s
--2 boxes of misc. dead computer parts and other electronics
--100-150 VHS tapes  They wouldn't take tapes.
--dead microwave (not sure if they'll accept this) They took it, yay!

To the trash:
--papers and files from the job that laid me off in 2012
--B.S. management books from same job
--outdated other books ditto
--the ten-year anniversary Lucite block ditto (gee, thanks)

I was holding on to that stuff because it represented SO MUCH WORK that I did, work that I was happy and proud to do. But it also carries lousy memories because of the awful way it ended. I am finally ready to let go of the evidence of my work, and get all the reminders of that shitty experience out of my life forever. It felt good to toss it into the recycling bin.

What Marie Kondo said holds true for me--that you have to get the stuff you don't want out of your life (and the associated feelings) before you can make mental room for activities and things that make you happy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:06:50 PM by NoraLenderbee »

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5184 on: September 24, 2017, 05:37:29 PM »
I am moving in with my boyfriend (yay!) and already have a renter lined up who will take my place furnished (can postpone some decisions!) so am in use-up and purge mode. I have finally let go of the notes I took in college 20 years ago, for one thing, but this clearing effort can sometimes take weird paths: today I made molasses cookies (to consolidate flour/sugar/molasses) and froze them in preparation for an event later this week, and wild rice with Brussels sprouts with oyster/soy sauce glaze for dinner just to use up ingredients. Lunch was homemade strawberry ice cream from earlier in the summer ;)

I have a pile for consignment, and the car is full for a trip to a thrift store after work tomorrow. I think of this thread a lot, even if I don't check it too regularly, so thank you all for the inspiration!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5185 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:08 PM »
I spent a good chunk of time on Saturday in the basement. 
A lot of stuff got tidied up in preparation of laying flooring in the last remaining unfinished part of the basement.
Fabric bins- reduced in quantity, no longer any swatches that will not have any functional uses in the future, all folded neatly and can see everything.  Large contribution to the garage donation pile.
Shoes that don't fit - sorted - and in donation pile
Shoes that are beyond repair - in garbage
Some more old sports gear is in the donation pile or sold to Play it Again.
A bunch of old toys - sorted into keep forever and located in an easy to reach area or in the donation pile in the garage.
Luggage - cleaned and stored if we are keeping, the rest is in the donation pile.
Sewing area - set up for functionality, all the equipment and supplies are now set up in our clean maker space / studio / office.
My closet - cleaned up (dusted) and edited.

The basement is looking amazing - the garage is looking really bad.  The garage has a deadline - once there is frost on the windows in the morning - hubs will be super keen to get cracking on clearing out so he can park in there. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5186 on: September 24, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
Visited my parents over the weekend so I took a few minutes to keep decluttering my childhood bedroom.

I found a drawer full of papers - uni assignments, press clippings, old birthday cards, etc. I didn't bother sorting through, just dumped the lot.

My tally for the weekend:
- 2 bags of garbage
- 1 bag to charity
- 1 rusty clothes airer

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5187 on: September 25, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »
Earlier this year we sold both our racing bikes, because they didn't get used anymore. A few weeks ago my DH managed won an electric bicycle. He tried it out, but it was not as powerful as he hoped for, so he decided to sell it. We received a nice sum of cash that compensates for a big negative financial impact that happened recently.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5188 on: September 25, 2017, 06:52:04 AM »
Did not do too well this weekend in getting stuff out the door- but I got rid of two drying racks that were in the kitchen, a bunch of cleaning supplies we don't use, and some random paperwork.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5189 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »

A surprising number of people still want VHS tapes. You can probably donate these.
Source: the townwide garage sale last weekend, at which I saw multiple people excitedly buying stacks of VHS tapes. I prefer to think they just don't like DVDs, please don't abuse me of that if there's a gross reason.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5190 on: September 25, 2017, 11:48:27 AM »
Did not do too well this weekend in getting stuff out the door- but I got rid of two drying racks that were in the kitchen, a bunch of cleaning supplies we don't use, and some random paperwork.

Do you mean implements or cleaning products? 

What do you do with cleaning and/or laundry products you don't use?  Pour them down the drain and recycle the containers?

Any suggestions anyone?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5191 on: September 25, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »

Do you mean implements or cleaning products? 

What do you do with cleaning and/or laundry products you don't use?  Pour them down the drain and recycle the containers?

Any suggestions anyone?
Try your local women's refuge.  Typically what they can't use in the refuge itself will go into starter packs for women who move on from the refuge into new p.ermanent accommodation.  They'll also take toiletries.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5192 on: September 25, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »

A surprising number of people still want VHS tapes. You can probably donate these.
Source: the townwide garage sale last weekend, at which I saw multiple people excitedly buying stacks of VHS tapes. I prefer to think they just don't like DVDs, please don't abuse me of that if there's a gross reason.

Thanks--that's good to know. Maybe we will just take them to Goodwill.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5193 on: September 25, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
I have a dilemma.
We are in the beginning stages for planning a fundraiser to "free cycle" / share, etc household goods in March or April 2018.   Very large community event held in a local hall.   Concept -- All items are free, except there is a limit (one bag per person before they re line up) and an entrance fee that decreases by the hour, until $0 after lunchtime. 

Meanwhile I have quite a volume of books, games, CDs, DVDs, and quality older kid and household items waiting to be taken to goodwill.   I am unsure if I should just store it all longer (an area 5x7 in my garage and growing), or get rid of it.    It is the kind of stuff that would lure people to the event if it was photo'd and put on craigslist with "freecycle" event tagged on it.

If I get rid of it, I may be able to park the car AND the utility trailer in the garage over winter (rainy here, not snow).

If I keep it, it would truly help seed the event with items worthy of people's time to show up... and I would be a primary organizer of the event.

What would you do?  Store it for 6 months or release it?

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #5194 on: September 25, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »
Mr. HH and I are moving, which has accelerated our dejunking plan!

We moved into our current house in 2014, did a HUGE clean out January 2016, so compared to what we moved here with we are way down on stuff, but yet we still managed to get rid of the following:

Donate:
2 Large bags of used sheets/towels/pillow cases to an animal rescue
1 Large bag of various house hold goods to Value Village (books, games)

Recycle:
A ton of notes/workbooks/papers from university and our early working days (don't need them any more)
Magazine pages that I had ripped out years ago and never looked at
A bunch of co-ax cables and other electronic goods

Selling:
Outdoor furniture
BBQ
Ikea shelves and entertainment unit
Filing cabinet
Various other items

It feels so good knowing we are going to have a clean slate when we get to our new house!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5195 on: September 25, 2017, 05:14:03 PM »

No gross reason that I know.  People either don't have a DVD player, can't get those specific VHS movies on DVD, or maybe have a secondary location (summer cottage?) with a working VHS player that doesn't need to be replaced.  When you have a good VHS player and VHS movies are going for cents, there is no need to shell out for a DVD player.

Goldielocks, is there storage space at the hall where the event will be held?  If they have a large attic, utility closet, or whatnot, maybe they can accumulate some of the donations until the big day.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5196 on: September 26, 2017, 12:00:20 AM »

No gross reason that I know.  People either don't have a DVD player, can't get those specific VHS movies on DVD, or maybe have a secondary location (summer cottage?) with a working VHS player that doesn't need to be replaced.  When you have a good VHS player and VHS movies are going for cents, there is no need to shell out for a DVD player.

Goldielocks, is there storage space at the hall where the event will be held?  If they have a large attic, utility closet, or whatnot, maybe they can accumulate some of the donations until the big day.

Yah no storage there... I am also on the committee to "get rid of the junk and keep it out of the hall"...  Too many dump runs in the past year..

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5197 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:58 AM »
13 items out the door. $175 in pocket.

Bagged a bunch more and I need to do another run this week to get them going.

Next batch to be posted on Craigslist for sale.

I've also let the paper monster grow and grow for the past two months. Need to start working on it. Sigh! We get too much paper.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5198 on: September 26, 2017, 07:18:18 AM »
Another run to Goodwill last night: bed linens, towels, kitchen stuff...  I think I'm slowly getting there.  The agent who listed my house for sale commented that the house feels "minimal" (in a good way :-)

And I took an easy way out on the cleaning/laundry products.  I put the lot in the local laundromat with a sign saying Free stuff - please take.  Hopefully there will be some takers.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5199 on: September 26, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »

My parents just like VHS tapes. Their player works, and their vision isn't that sharp anymore - so all this new 4K (or even HD) doesn't make a difference for them.