Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850115 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5100 on: August 12, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
Restarted after our move. This move has shown how much stuff we have and how many of those I really didn't want to move. My goal is to do another round of decluttering before our move again in nine months.

Started with giving away a few good bags, some make up stuff and a few odds and ends. Today will be more decluttering as we go through a closet.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5101 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
Our local Humane Society has a garage sale every fall so I have been going through stuff to give them especially dog related items. I helped my friend do some decluttering Sat so got a bunch of stuff from her too.  The only bad thing is I have to hold onto the stuff until Oct because they don;t have anywhere to store it either.  I do this twice/year for their sales. In between I take stuff to thrift stores.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5102 on: August 13, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
Sorted through the tub of airline toiletries and put aside five cans of shaving cream for my dad and four bags for my nephews.

I keep what we will use - toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc - but the rest of it is easy come, easy go.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5103 on: August 13, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »
Sorted through the tub of airline toiletries and put aside five cans of shaving cream for my dad and four bags for my nephews.

I keep what we will use - toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc - but the rest of it is easy come, easy go.

Hotel toiletries are the only bar soap we use. I have some of the nicer ones (still wrapped) in the guest bath cupboard. One in the dish.

But yes, it was a relief when I could get my wife to actually tackle her mixed piles of toiletries.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5104 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:16 PM »
Put together about 4 bags of miscellaneous items for goodwill. It is amazing how much a few bags can weigh!  Feels good to shed the pounds.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5105 on: August 13, 2017, 08:01:57 PM »
I cleaned out my linen closet!  I've also put together a plan to attack the whole house one thing per day.  Clutter be gone!!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5106 on: August 14, 2017, 05:29:35 AM »
Daughter has moved out and I'm getting the house ready for sale.  She went through her things before she left so I brought a carful of stuff for donation yesterday: clothes, shoes, closet organizers, toys, cushions and lots of other random stuff.  And another batch is ready for consignment and already in my car.  I still have some drawers and baskets to go through but I can do it this week. 

ETA: I'm also bringing a bag of papers for shredding at work.  And I listed 4 items for sale on CL!

I'm trying to re-read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, because I found it very motivating the first time I read it.  I need to remember that one of something is enough in most instances.  And that things are easily replaceable...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:37:06 AM by ZiziPB »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5107 on: August 14, 2017, 06:58:48 AM »
I feel SO guilty.
I am getting rid of my grandmother's sewing machine.  I wanted this so much; a treadle base, cabinet, and machine.  I never met my grandmother.

My great-aunt had it and I was given it upon her death.  However, it had sat in her garage and much of the base is rusted. It turns out my grandmother also had cut one side of the cabinet off to fit it in a smaller space.  And while it worked when I got it, the drive band was so old, it quickly snapped.  In other words, it is in horrible condition.

I am giving it to a neighbor who refinishes (and then usually sells) furniture.  I have no use for it, we have no good space to display it (though maybe if it was in good condition we could find a space).

My Dad will be so upset if he finds out I got rid of it. But should I really be obligated for life to keep this? No one else in the family wanted it.  (I had wanted the two trunks that my family immigrated here with, but the word didn't get to my Uncle before the clearing out garage sale.)

I still feel really guilty.  I should have refinished it or something.  But even if I had- it still would only have 3/4 of the cabinet...

So, +1 for getting rid of clutter.  -1 for feeling horrible.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5108 on: August 14, 2017, 07:39:16 AM »
Monday update.  Got rid of a couple things.  Listed an 8-person tent and the TV.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- Honda/Acura brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Paper Shredder
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- LCD TV
- 8-person Tent

To be listed:
- My bicycle
- Multiple plate sets
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Card Table and 5 chairs
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
- TSX Rotors
- Shop Vac
- Queen bed set
- Standing Hammock
- TV Stand
- Folding Bicycle
- Small TV Stand

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5109 on: August 14, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
I feel SO guilty.
I am getting rid of my grandmother's sewing machine.  I wanted this so much; a treadle base, cabinet, and machine.  I never met my grandmother.

My great-aunt had it and I was given it upon her death.  However, it had sat in her garage and much of the base is rusted. It turns out my grandmother also had cut one side of the cabinet off to fit it in a smaller space.  And while it worked when I got it, the drive band was so old, it quickly snapped.  In other words, it is in horrible condition.

I am giving it to a neighbor who refinishes (and then usually sells) furniture.  I have no use for it, we have no good space to display it (though maybe if it was in good condition we could find a space).

My Dad will be so upset if he finds out I got rid of it. But should I really be obligated for life to keep this? No one else in the family wanted it.  (I had wanted the two trunks that my family immigrated here with, but the word didn't get to my Uncle before the clearing out garage sale.)

I still feel really guilty.  I should have refinished it or something.  But even if I had- it still would only have 3/4 of the cabinet...

So, +1 for getting rid of clutter.  -1 for feeling horrible.

You don't need to feel guilty. You're not throwing it out. You're giving it to someone who will fix it up so it can be enjoyed by someone else.

Also, if your dad is going to feel so bad that you got rid of something that was owned by someone you've never met, then he should have stepped up and taken it originally. NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

-signed, the evil daughter who's making her mom get rid of everything (yeah, it's not working.)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5110 on: August 14, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »

Also, if your dad is going to feel so bad that you got rid of something that was owned by someone you've never met, then he should have stepped up and taken it originally. NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

-signed, the evil daughter who's making her mom get rid of everything (yeah, it's not working.)

To be fair, I didn't meet her because she died shortly before my Mom and Dad met.  I love sewing, and wanted something of hers (though I have her teacup collection from when my grandfather died), so I got it because I wanted it. But I think for my Dad taking an item is a lifelong commitment.

I am scared for when I have to clean out my parents house. My Dad isn't a hoarder, but only because they have a lot of space. SO MUCH STUFF. 
(When my Mom had me clear out my stuff from their attic we got 2 boxes to leave there.  I actually didn't leave anything there, I have my own attic.  Cue a year later "Jessi, you really need to clean out your stuff".  I put it all in her goodwill pile.  Two years later "Jessi, please clean out your stuff". That's when I said "Mom, at this point, it's Dad's stuff, not mine".  He kept setting aside my dolls, drill team uniform, school papers, thinks he "knew I really wanted".  Uh no, I didn't.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5111 on: August 14, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »

To be fair, I didn't meet her because she died shortly before my Mom and Dad met.  I love sewing, and wanted something of hers (though I have her teacup collection from when my grandfather died), so I got it because I wanted it. But I think for my Dad taking an item is a lifelong commitment.

I am scared for when I have to clean out my parents house. My Dad isn't a hoarder, but only because they have a lot of space. SO MUCH STUFF. 
(When my Mom had me clear out my stuff from their attic we got 2 boxes to leave there.  I actually didn't leave anything there, I have my own attic.  Cue a year later "Jessi, you really need to clean out your stuff".  I put it all in her goodwill pile.  Two years later "Jessi, please clean out your stuff". That's when I said "Mom, at this point, it's Dad's stuff, not mine".  He kept setting aside my dolls, drill team uniform, school papers, thinks he "knew I really wanted".  Uh no, I didn't.)

One of my grandmother's died when I was a baby. I don't remember her at all. My mom may be attached to things that were hers (and she is), but any emotional attachments I have to those items are through my mom, not my grandmother.

You dad is a hoarder. The amount of stuff, or how unlivable the space is, doesn't matter. It's the behavior that determines the hoarder. Good luck with the house. If you're willing and it won't make things worse, take stuff from them now and get rid of it yourself.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5112 on: August 14, 2017, 06:17:33 PM »
We have started decluttering our garage. It began late last week with no fanfare and it already looks better. This is the place where DH really brings out his inner hoarder, there are little piles of screws, tools, broken widgets everywhere there is a surface. If we can deal with those (sort & store/chuck) so I can move a box without first gathering up and moving random small junk then the rest is easy. Long term plan - to be able to park the car in there again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5113 on: August 14, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
My husband has a big Lego car kit which we enjoy building, but the box is about eight times the size of the contents.

He just agreed to move the Lego into a smaller plastic tub with the instructions and a picture from the box, and toss the box itself.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5114 on: August 15, 2017, 02:49:33 AM »
My husband has a big Lego car kit which we enjoy building, but the box is about eight times the size of the contents.

He just agreed to move the Lego into a smaller plastic tub with the instructions and a picture from the box, and toss the box itself.

Genius optimising!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5115 on: August 15, 2017, 03:47:29 AM »
Brought my stuff to consignment yesterday.  They took it all but 3 summer tops because the summer is ending :-(

I also shredded a whole bag of paper yesterday and tossed some other paper into recycling.  Paper seems to be multiplying on its own while I'm busy with other stuff.  So hard to stay on top of it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5116 on: August 18, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Not my house, but I did a ton of the work so I'm sharing it! At my parent's for the weekend. Spent the day:

Bagged up and disposed of a large number of old cleaning supplies. Also various garden stuff that could be trashed and was old.

Brought all the books down from the attic and up from the basement and sorted through them with mom and sis. I'm taking 2 boxes home, sis is taking 3 boxes. 6 boxes going to goodwill. One box for mom to read and probably get rid of afterwards. Half box for dad to read. 4 boxes put into the basement to keep. 2 boxes of yearbooks and some genealogy books that trying to figure out how to dispose of (mom won't toss or donate to goodwill).

Then we switched to the dishes boxes. Sorted through 3 or 4 (?) boxes of good china, crystal, etc. Most of that was repacked and put back in the attic, but got rid of about a box full of stuff, and looking into selling about 2 boxes worth of stuff. Towards the end of this, we were all hungry and I was very crabby, so stopped for lunch.

Picked back up with the pictures. Went through 4 boxes of framed pictures. I'm taking 1 picture home that I like, and a 2nd picture that mom wants to put up (there's a bedroom I've told her she can decorate). Also have a stack of maybe 12 pictures that I'll try to sell, or donate if that doesn't work.

Also tossed a wall shelf that used to be very pretty, until it developed multiple cracks and isn't safe to store stuff on anymore. Tossed 3 old boots from various foot injuries (very old, not usable anymore).

All in all, mom's car is sitting pretty low from the weight. Everything will be dropped off tomorrow sometime.

Please wave your magic wands and make mom decide that she doesn't need to keep stuff she hasn't used in 30 years just because it belonged to great aunt so-and-so. Then send the uhaul to pick up.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5117 on: August 18, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »
I got back from vacation yesterday. I was staying in a lovely Air bnb that just felt very zen and serene. I got home and my house just seemed so cluttered, even though I have been chipping away at it forever. It was kind of depressing.

It's not really a fair comparison because no one actually lives at the Air bnb, so there was no daily living stuff. But is has spurred me on to make another big push. Tomorrow is the day.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5118 on: August 19, 2017, 04:07:08 PM »
I decided to attack the laundry room today because it is one of the smaller rooms in the house and would show instant results.

So I:

Washed a couple of loads of dirty laundry.
Put away all the clean laundry, including folding all my socks and underwear and put them neatly away in a drawer.
Wiped down the washer and dryer.
Threw out a bunch of old laundry products. Put a full container of Speed Starch in the give away box.
Listed some stuff that I don't use any more on Facebook. Gave away and old TV/VCR combo that was collecting dust in there. Took down a dusty old floral swag arrangement and put it in the give away box.
Still trying to decide what to do with the ironing board. I haven't ironed anything in years, but it seems like one of those things one should have.
Took everything out and swept and mopped the floor.
Put up two cute country prints that I was going to give away, but give the room a nice farmhouse look. Now I'm even thinking of making a rustic farmhouse sign that says LAUNDRY. Ha ha!

Anyway, I feel so much better than I did yesterday. Just taking action and attacking one small room start to finish made a huge difference in my state of mind.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5119 on: August 19, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Unless you have a neighbour you could ask to borrow theirs, I'd keep the ironing board. There's nothing worse than trying to iron without one.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5120 on: August 19, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
Unless you have a neighbour you could ask to borrow theirs, I'd keep the ironing board. There's nothing worse than trying to iron without one.
We have an ironing board now, but I used to used to iron on my dryer (put a towel down).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5121 on: August 19, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
We have an ironing board now, but I used to used to iron on my dryer (put a towel down).

+1. For a long time I did: a towel folded over, topped with a floursack cloth towel (no lint that way), on top of a stool.

That being said, now I have plenty of space.

And uh... you know, come to think of it, I might still not own an ironing board! I don't iron often, obviously.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5122 on: August 19, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
No ironing boad here either. I just put a towel on the washing machine when we have a funeral to go to. Other than that, I only iron when I'm giving a professional presentation and then I use the ironing board in my hotel room - no need to store one myself.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5123 on: August 22, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »
Another update.  The bed under us is literally gone now.  Well, we still have an air mattress that we're using in the mean-time (just a few more weeks!).  That'll be a lot easier to move since we can just deflate and fold it up.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- Honda/Acura brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Kitchen appliances
- Paper Shredder
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- LCD TV
- 8-person Tent

To be listed:
- My bicycle
- Multiple plate sets
- Random tools
- SA2010 Race Helmet
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
- TSX Rotors
- Shop Vac
- Queen bed set
- Standing Hammock
- TV Stand
- Folding Bicycle
- Small TV Stand
- queen Mattress, box spring, frame

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5124 on: August 22, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »
No ironing boad here either. I just put a towel on the washing machine when we have a funeral to go to. Other than that, I only iron when I'm giving a professional presentation and then I use the ironing board in my hotel room - no need to store one myself.

My DH sews clothes sometimes. He needs an ironing board for that. Also for taping Goretex clothes.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5125 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »
We have some unused furniture that was still taking up space because we don't have a car and didn't want to bother anyone to drive them to the charity shop for us (they charge for picking up ...) . Decided to list them on a Facebook group for free stuff on our off day and everything except 1 was picked up today, and that other item will be picked up tomorrow.

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #5126 on: August 23, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Neighbor's kitchen cabinet fell off the wall, tearing up her counters, wall, floor, etc. While I don't think mine weigh nearly what hers did (she collects pottery), still a good reminder to get in there and clear out the useless stuff. Ended up with four bags and a box to take to Goodwill.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5127 on: August 23, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »
I helped a friend declutter because she's moving soon. We decluttered 3 large boxes of baking supplies. She's keeping two ...  but at least that means the majority is gone. I have never seen so many cookie cutters in my life, seriously not even in a cookware shop. She offered me a lot of things too, but I only took two things (that I'll really use). This is actually how I get most of my stuff: my spendypants friends throw out perfectly good stuff and I take it home. The cookie sheet I took yesterday is actually still in the original packaging and the price sticker is still on it. Who pays €15 for a cookie sheet? :o

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5128 on: August 23, 2017, 01:26:34 PM »
I helped a friend declutter because she's moving soon. We decluttered 3 large boxes of baking supplies. She's keeping two ...  but at least that means the majority is gone. I have never seen so many cookie cutters in my life, seriously not even in a cookware shop. She offered me a lot of things too, but I only took two things (that I'll really use). This is actually how I get most of my stuff: my spendypants friends throw out perfectly good stuff and I take it home. The cookie sheet I took yesterday is actually still in the original packaging and the price sticker is still on it. Who pays €15 for a cookie sheet? :o

My local library checks out cake pans. They have like 500 to chose from.  It has saved us a ton of space and money.

Because you only use them once typically, but then you feel guilty getting rid of it because shaped pans aren't cheap.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5129 on: August 24, 2017, 04:42:31 AM »

My DH sews clothes sometimes. He needs an ironing board for that. Also for taping Goretex clothes.

I barely sew these days, but I'll agree I'd need one if I were. For just repairs and hems, though, the towel method has proved fine so far.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5130 on: August 24, 2017, 05:08:38 AM »

I iron on the bed. Almost the same consistency as an ironing board (I have a firm mattress) and nothing meltable.

I learnt to do that when I was selling my house, and a friend told me to just iron the sheets once I had made up the bed.

Also, Ikea do a small table-top ironing board that hangs away with your clothes (there's a hook) for cheap. That's what I use for sewing projects when I need it near my sewing machine. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/laundry-cleaning-products/ironing-boards/j%C3%A4ll-ironingboard-table-art-20242890/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5131 on: August 24, 2017, 06:22:26 AM »
The ironing board conversation makes me laugh.  I actually have a HUGE ironing board- I had a custom board made to fit over the regular one to double the space on it. 

The only reason I iron is to sew.  And all the hacks won't work- you just cannot get a firm enough press on top of anything soft (like a towel on a counter, or a mattress.)

However, I'd throw clothes away before I would iron them.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5132 on: August 24, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
May I please have some advice on old food?

In my (slightly) younger and (much) more optimistic days, I purchased a bunch of canned/jarred foods with big plans.  Well, I've become a better cook, eliminating the need for some of those foods, and others are just not things we eat.  So now I have a bunch of canned/jarred foods that are 2-5 years past their expirations.  Most of them are probably still good, but they won't be eaten here, and I know food pantries do not take expired food.  Additionally, DBF's mother gave use a huge box of baking mixes (which I have never used) years ago, and I didn't realize at the time that I should just donate them.

So, there are no compost bins/piles available around here.  I hesitate to put it on the free section of CraigsList because someone might eat something, get sick, then sue me.  Does anyone have less wasteful ideas for getting rid of long-expired food besides throwing it out?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #5133 on: August 24, 2017, 11:05:31 AM »

In my (slightly) younger and (much) more optimistic days, I purchased a bunch of canned/jarred foods with big plans.  Well, I've become a better cook, eliminating the need for some of those foods, and others are just not things we eat.  So now I have a bunch of canned/jarred foods that are 2-5 years past their expirations.  Most of them are probably still good, but they won't be eaten here, and I know food pantries do not take expired food.  Additionally, DBF's mother gave use a huge box of baking mixes (which I have never used) years ago, and I didn't realize at the time that I should just donate them.

So, there are no compost bins/piles available around here.  I hesitate to put it on the free section of CraigsList because someone might eat something, get sick, then sue me.  Does anyone have less wasteful ideas for getting rid of long-expired food besides throwing it out?

any farms near? might make good pig fodder. You could call and inquire with the farmer beforehand.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5134 on: August 24, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

I've volunteered at a food kitchen and they had expired canned food there. 2-5 years might be too long but it may depend on what it actually is.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5135 on: August 24, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

If you have a local Buy Nothing Project group, you could post on there (just be clear they're past date). I've seen expired canned food go in a lot of groups, some for people to eat, some for chickens or pigs. And Buy Nothing is very clear about 'participate at your own risk', so as long as you're clear about the dates, I don't think you're at any risk of trouble there.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5136 on: August 27, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »
I bought a yard of ironing board cover material (quilted non-scorch stuff) and iron on my kitchen island. I do have a tailor's ham on my wishlist, though.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5137 on: August 29, 2017, 04:28:41 AM »
I bought a yard of ironing board cover material (quilted non-scorch stuff) and iron on my kitchen island. I do have a tailor's ham on my wishlist, though.

A tailors ham is really easy to make, here is a free downloadable pattern and instructions: http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2012/08/how-to-make-tailors-hams-and-sausages.html

I filled mine with well shredded jersey scraps and it works a treat. Be sure to cut the pieces small and stuff stuff stuff if you go that route.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5138 on: August 29, 2017, 04:37:11 AM »
Today someone is supposed to pick up our old bed! I hope he does turn up. 

Then I can finally reach the window and hang up the new curtain rods that have been lying around in their packaging for far too long. Then I can move the antique table and grandpa's chair in the living room up that room. I'll have a nice, light, quiet room upstairs where I can relax and read and we'll have more space downstairs.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5139 on: September 05, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
I have 1 more week of work and 2 more weeks to get rid of as much as possible!  Can you say I'm overwhelmed?  A few keep-sakes will be put in storage until we have another place to live, but everything else will either be donated or sold.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Honda/Acura brake pads
- Kitchen appliances
- Paper Shredder
- Random 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- LCD TV
- My bicycle :(

To be listed:
- Multiple plate sets
- Random tools
- SA2010 Race Helmet
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
- TSX Rotors
- Shop Vac
- Queen bed set
- Standing Hammock
- TV Stand
- Folding Bicycle
- Small TV Stand
- queen Mattress, box spring, frame
- 2 shoe racks
- small weed whacker
- Civic Si suspension
- 8 person tent

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5140 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Sold 9 baby sleepers for $10.  Have a pick up of 4 more tomorrow (hopefully...)

Need to keep going through the baby stuff and listing it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5141 on: September 05, 2017, 02:48:32 PM »
I got rid of leftover stuff from our laundry renovation so the garage is looking pretty empty. And the tiles that were sat in boxes are now on the walls, does that count ;) The wall cabinets will go up shortly in the laundry and I am itching to fill them with all the stuff that has been stored in the wrong place for months.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5142 on: September 05, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
Dropped off the old clarinet to a local organization that works with kids that wouldn't have an opportunity to do music otherwise. Yay, out of the house! And I'm pretty sure that's the last of the instruments out of parent's house.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5143 on: September 06, 2017, 04:32:16 AM »
Another pile of random stuff is ready to be brought to Goodwill and waiting in the garage.  You'd think that after getting rid of so much already, I would have nothing left that I don't need.  But I'm still finding things around the house that I can get rid of easily.  And there will be more when the house sells.  I've decided that I want my new apartment to be quite minimalistic because I'm really enjoying the feel of empty spaces.  It's peaceful.

No takers for any of my CL listings - I need to lower the prices aggressively and if they still don't sell, just donate them.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5144 on: September 06, 2017, 05:10:58 AM »
I got some more of my old stuff out of my parents attic over the weekend. I still had some old college text books, baseball cards, and an old photo scanner up there.  I recycled the old text books and am selling or giving away the baseball cards. The cards are pretty much worthless. I had an old complete set that was still in its original box so I'm selling that. I'm giving away the loose cards. I'm also giving away the scanner. It's 1999 vintage and I would be surprised if it even still worked or if you could find drivers for it.

Now, I just need to convince my parents to let me help clean up and organize their stuff in the attic. I found cancelled checks from the late 80's, old photographs strewn on the floor, unopened VHS tapes, a bathtub my dad bought in the 90's when he thought he was going to finish the attic and add a bathroom, and a bunch of other unused crap. They have no idea what is even up there at this point. I don't want to be dealing with this that crap in15-20 years after they die or we have to move them to a new place.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5145 on: September 06, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
I'm wearing a dress to work that I've decided will be (washed and) donated after today.

I'd need to have it tailored in order to keep wearing it, and I'm just not going to spend that money on an eBay dress that will start looking a bit, well, loved before too long.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5146 on: September 07, 2017, 06:49:46 AM »
This is a tiny thing, but I have a container in the bathroom of the sample packets of lotions and such that come in magazines and are handed out at street corners. I rarely use them because they have more product in them than i need at one time. I recently finished a jar of cream, so I have started decanting the sample packets into that and fully using them up. 

Also, my dentist gives out travel size containers of toothpaste. Since I'm not travelling much these days for work, they've been filling up another bag in the bathroom. We just finished a big tube of toothpaste, and I'm not buying another until we're down to two travel tubes.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5147 on: September 07, 2017, 06:53:29 AM »
A bit unconventional for this thread, but I just deleted a ton of apps on my phone that I haven't used in a while.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5148 on: September 07, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
I decided to keep the ironing board for now, but I relegated it to the basement. When/if I eventually downsize to a condo I will probably get rid of it and go with the Ikea one if I need to iron something.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5149 on: September 07, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
A bit unconventional for this thread, but I just deleted a ton of apps on my phone that I haven't used in a while.

Mental clutter is very important. I didn't delete the latest batch of apps, but I removed them from my home screens.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!