Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850099 times)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #5050 on: August 01, 2017, 03:42:28 PM »
Two new pairs of jeans in, two old pairs of jeans sold on ebay.  Three years old, kind of surprised someone wanted them.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5051 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
Almost all of the lumber has gone from the house to the barn. We've used a lot of it this week, but there will be some projects undone when husband goes off to grad school (and for the rest of our lives, undoubtedly). But we're almost ready to show the house to the prospective room renter.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5052 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
I cleared three bagfuls of detective fiction off my bookshelves today and took them to the charity shop. I've been getting rid of bundles of novels intermittently for years, and last night I looked at the stack of one particular author's work on the shelf and thought, "Your turn. There are a million other books I want to read and I'm not going to re-read you lot. You can go and entertain someone else now."

I also cleared out and disposed of a small metal box of odds and ends. 11-year-old odds and ends. That box must have moved house with us unopened.

More importantly, I had a chat with my youngest daughter, who is about to go away to college and who has far too many clothes and trinkets, and she assures me that she's going to go through her clothes and donate a lot of them now, then have a second pass through the ones she keeps but doesn't take to college and donate any that she hasn't missed during her first semester. She has, however, explicitly banned me from having a yard sale with her collection of scented candles.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5053 on: August 02, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »
I have read pretty much this entire thread but this is my first time posting.  I love reading everyone's progress so keep the posts coming! 

I read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up in late 2015 as we prepared to move from a 1700 sq ft townhouse to a 1000 sq ft apartment!  It literally changed my life and I haven't looked back since.  We purged at least 50% of our belongings and it felt amazing.  I continue to cull through stuff as we have lived here but the biggest change was in my purchasing habits.  I really think hard before buying non-consumable items and I enjoy the things (especially clothes) I do purchase so much more than I did before.  I think the main benefit of the book for me was it gave me "permission" to purge so many things I always WANTED to get rid of but couldn't.  Prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, graduation robes were several things that I finally felt ok about giving away.  It's amazing how much emotion can be tied to stuff.

As we approach 2 years at our current apartment, we are planning to move to a 760 sq ft apartment closer to my job.  I am already purging in anticipation of this move and it feels great.

Progress:
-sold my husband's car (almost never driven; we will be a one car family since I will be able to walk to work)
-wiped FIVE old iPhones and sent them to Amazon Trade-In.  I got $156 and it was so easy!
-donated several bags of stuff to a local community assistance center. (I always donated to Goodwill because it was easy but recently found out about this local charity and they do some great work!  I feel really good donating my gently used clothes and household goods to them)
-selling my bicycle this evening (cheap beach cruiser not suitable for any reasonable distance. My husband told me a cheap bicycle was a waste of money and he was correct.  Don't tell him I admitted he was right)
-sold my bike rack

I normally hate selling things because of the hassle but this new Facebook Marketplace is so easy and fast.  For me, it is way easier than craigslist or eBay.

I will keep posting as I make more progress!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #5054 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »
TCNG, great work!  I am a little jealous of you & others still in declutter mode.  I have hit a wall & lost my motivation for the time being.

At first I found Marie Kondo's "thank your items" thing a bit strange, but over time I came to interpret that as being about closure and permission to yourself to pass things on.  Just phrased a bit...spiritually?  I don't know what to call it.  Of course I could be off base, but that is what it means to me.  And seems like you have a similar interpretation.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5055 on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
After a long period of stalled progress, I resumed by donating four bags of clothes and lunch boxes yesterday.

And now I've treated myself to an Angie's list big deal house cleaning, so I have to get in gear and get this place cleared out for the cleaning! I have set myself up for a fun weekend . . .

Facebook marketplace sounds interesting. We also have a neighborhood for sale online group, but I haven't tried it yet.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5056 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
I just reviewed a drawer in my son's dresser. I counted 29 t-shirts. That is just t-shirts. That doesn't include long sleeve shirts, school uniforms, dress shirts or any that are in the wash. I've pulled out 14 in smaller sizing. It seems like such a waste as they still fit him.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5057 on: August 04, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
I just reviewed a drawer in my son's dresser. I counted 29 t-shirts. That is just t-shirts. That doesn't include long sleeve shirts, school uniforms, dress shirts or any that are in the wash. I've pulled out 14 in smaller sizing. It seems like such a waste as they still fit him.

With a child's clothing, I would think you could let them go by attrition.  Just remove them as they are outgrown or become overly stained or worn.  Or do his drawers not have enough space?

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #5058 on: August 04, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »

With a child's clothing, I would think you could let them go by attrition.  Just remove them as they are outgrown or become overly stained or worn.  Or do his drawers not have enough space?

They are getting rather full.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5059 on: August 04, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »

It's only a waste if you throw them in the trash.  If they go to another family you know as hand-me-downs or are donated to a thrift shop, someone else will put them to good use!   

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5060 on: August 05, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
Sold today:
 - 2 snorkel sets
 - a wooden chest that DS made in high school shop

Gave away:
 - an old box of Computer Arts magazines

Threw out:
 - a bunch of old ill-fitting bras

Put in the donation bag/box:
 - more clothes
 - placemats
 - a thrift store vase
 - wire rack thingy
 - Xmas decorations
 - mug rack
 - fridge magnets

Still need to list: (putting here to keep me accountable)
 - vintage canister set
 - sewing machine
 - fancy dresses
 - fancy dress shoes (never worn)
 - bread maker
 - electric wok
 - George Foreman grill

The space under the stairs is now totally clear, but I look around the house and you can't even notice my efforts. :( Oh well, the decluttering continues. (My sister calls it purging, but I hate that term. Makes me think of bulimia.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5061 on: August 05, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
Dropped off 3 gallons of paint that I can't use and 2 brand new water lines that don't fit anything in my house at the Habitat for Humanity Restore today.

Also found a high school drama teacher (I assume) who will happily take the partial gallon of paint. Just need to get it to her. Connections are wonderful.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5062 on: August 05, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
Helped a cousin move from one apartment to another today. Mr. O had our donation box in his car. Cousin deputized him to take her donation box as well, so he got rid of both of them today! Can I take credit for her stuff? ;-)

Started a new donation box. Cousin gave Mr. O a nicer salad spinner than the one we have. So I said, "We can put the old one in the donation box?" He said, "Sure...unless you want it". I said, "I don't spin my salads". He gave me the WTF look. I do not understand him sometimes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5063 on: August 06, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »
Decluttered husband's wardrobe this afternoon.

It was a condition of buying him a new suit this morning, which was, in itself, an interesting experience.

He found a linen suit that he liked. I vetoed it.

The man practically travels for a living, and he wants to wear linen? No.

Inane shop assistant trying to make a sale: Oh but linen is lovely for when he goes to warm climates!
Me: Sure, like Detroit in January, London in February, New York in March, Norway last week...

Husband still didn't believe me, so I scrunched the sleeve up in my hand for 30 seconds and showed him how crushed it was.
Him: God, that would look awful after two days in a suitcase.
Me: You remember that aqua shirt you bought before we were married and refused to wear because it was a bitch to iron? THAT was linen.
Him: Ohhhhhh.

He ended up with something with a little stretch, much better for travel.

We've been working on making his wardrobe more mix and match, and less susceptible to fleeting trends, while being suitable for work and the filming and travel that goes with it. (And, of course, without spending a fortune!)

Understanding all this is why he gets a vote in his wardrobe, I get a vote in his wardrobe, and inane shop assistant doesn't get a vote.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5064 on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:12 AM »
:D :D :D

Can you sort out my wardrobe MPGH?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5065 on: August 06, 2017, 05:09:19 AM »

Don't tempt me!

I'd be brutal. Bye-bye cricket shirt from 1998... :D

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5066 on: August 06, 2017, 05:54:50 AM »

Don't tempt me!

I'll have you know it's a summer 5-a-side soccer shirt from 1997. That remains the only soccer premiership team I've ever played in. I can't throw it away :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5067 on: August 06, 2017, 06:21:50 AM »

Don't tempt me!

I'll have you know it's a summer 5-a-side soccer shirt from 1997. That remains the only soccer premiership team I've ever played in. I can't throw it away :)

Do you wear it at least once a month?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5068 on: August 06, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »
Well, I've got a bunch old clothes right now, and I do wear them. For working on the house/yardwork/general getting dirty. I also sew up the holes in the shirts from the cat claws. Until I'm done with the bulk of the work, I'm keeping them. I've run out of work clothes repeatedly.

On the decluttering side - I listed the cabinet, bathroom wall cabinet, and dehumidifier, all of which I have no need for, on craigslist. If I get my act together, I'll list the cat door too, but that's in the garage and requires shoes to take pictures.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5069 on: August 06, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »

Don't tempt me!

Oh well that's completely different! :P

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #5070 on: August 07, 2017, 05:11:50 AM »
I have a box with my old sports trophies I got when playing baseball as a kid. I don't know what to do with them. I don't want to throw them away but I don't want them sitting around the house anymore.  I doubt I could give them to someone because they have my name on them, baseball league, etc.   Any ideas?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5071 on: August 07, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
I have a box with my old sports trophies I got when playing baseball as a kid. I don't know what to do with them. I don't want to throw them away but I don't want them sitting around the house anymore.  I doubt I could give them to someone because they have my name on them, baseball league, etc.   Any ideas?

Third time posting this here so forgive me for repeating myself.

Some churches take them for mission trips, or for sporting camps for under-privileged kids.

The plaques come off with a hair dryer to melt the glue and dental floss.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5072 on: August 07, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »
Just got rid of a bunch of stuff, ending up giving it to the guy working on the house (I'm just the tenant/roommate).

I also found out that he's being paid only $500 under the table for two months of work...Stuff like painting the whole house, ripping up carpet and installing laminate floors, installing ceiling fixtures, painting cabinets, back splash, building a porch, and a ton of other stuff.

Thankfully he's moving back to his home state and has a job and a house lined up. And now he has two hardly used sheet sets, a comforter, and some kitchen stuff from me so not starting entirely from scratch. And thankfully I'm moving out anyway because my landlord is clearly an asshole.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5073 on: August 07, 2017, 06:53:30 AM »
A freakin' awesome weekend.  Got rid of our last big pieces of furniture (queen bed set, TV stand).

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- Honda/Acura brake pads
- shoe racks (3)
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Paper Shredder
- Small TV Stand
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random car parts
- Folding Bicycle

To be listed:
- LCD TV
- My bicycle
- Multiple plate sets
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)
- 2 table lamps
- Box fan
- Wall Mirror
- TSX brake calipers
- DVD Player
- Card Table and 5 chairs
- Storage baskets
- pillow stuffing (free)
- TSX Rotors
- Shop Vac
- Queen bed set
- Standing Hammock
- TV Stand
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:41:10 PM by sw1tch »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5074 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »
Tried on all the clothes in the closet and got rid of a giant pile that doesn't fit.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #5075 on: August 07, 2017, 07:11:53 AM »

Some churches take them for mission trips, or for sporting camps for under-privileged kids.

Thanks for the reply mustachepungoeshere.  I'll look into that.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5076 on: August 07, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply mustachepungoeshere.  I'll look into that.

We took off the plaques off a box of old throphies and donated them to a charity that works with kids with Down's Syndrome to use them for the sports tournaments they organize.

Apparantly there's a market for second hand generic trophies because apparantly they are quite expensive.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5077 on: August 07, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
Woo hoo! The firewood is gone! Apparently, it was about a cord of wood. And it is no longer in my backyard.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5078 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:22 PM »
sw1tch - how big is your house???? I am very impressed by all the stuff you have got rid of, I'm just a little confused as to where you were keeping all that!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5079 on: August 08, 2017, 05:31:37 AM »
Well, it looks like we are moving at the end of the year so that we can have a guest bedroom and a room for our son. Even though the house will be bigger, this is a prime opportunity to get rid of things that won't fit for the next phase of our lives.

What's weird is that a lot of the stuff I'm piling up to get rid of is brand new to us, mostly gifts or "I thought you could use...". I wonder if we need to have a talk with some people...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5080 on: August 08, 2017, 06:24:20 AM »

What's weird is that a lot of the stuff I'm piling up to get rid of is brand new to us, mostly gifts or "I thought you could use...". I wonder if we need to have a talk with some people...

With people trying to give me stuff, I say, "If I can no longer use it, would you like it back?". No-one has ever said yes. Therefore I feel free to just donate. I don't want to tell them not to give us stuff as lots of useful things have come to us second hand, especially being pregnant. I'm getting a really expensive body pillow from a friend this week!

With gifts, I remind myself their intention was to make me happy. I thank them genuinely for the gift, then I do what will make me happiest. Usually that is to donate it. If I wouldn't have bought it for myself, it just becomes an obligation to me. No-one has ever noticed, and I have been doing it for literally years.

Note I never regift. I just think it's tacky. I donate, so a charity can benefit and someone can get something they truly want at a low price. And I choose people gifts I genuinely think they will enjoy, and then let them do with them as they choose.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5081 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:05 AM »

With people trying to give me stuff, I say, "If I can no longer use it, would you like it back?". No-one has ever said yes. Therefore I feel free to just donate. I don't want to tell them not to give us stuff as lots of useful things have come to us second hand, especially being pregnant. I'm getting a really expensive body pillow from a friend this week!

With gifts, I remind myself their intention was to make me happy. I thank them genuinely for the gift, then I do what will make me happiest. Usually that is to donate it. If I wouldn't have bought it for myself, it just becomes an obligation to me. No-one has ever noticed, and I have been doing it for literally years.

Note I never regift. I just think it's tacky. I donate, so a charity can benefit and someone can get something they truly want at a low price. And I choose people gifts I genuinely think they will enjoy, and then let them do with them as they choose.

During gift season, it is a very good habit to make a wishlist of things you really want to get. If you are planning to buy something, put it on your wist and wait until the gift season. This way you might not receive so much nonsense.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #5082 on: August 08, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
sw1tch - how big is your house???? I am very impressed by all the stuff you have got rid of, I'm just a little confused as to where you were keeping all that!

Glad you asked!  Well, in 2015 we moved out of our ~2000 sqft house, which had an unfinished basement and 2-car garage into a ~ 900 sqft duplex with a 1-car garage.  When we first moved, we got rid of ALOT of stuff (probably 75%), so all of this stuff is just what we moved from the first house.  We found that with our current lifestyle (DINKS that don't really need much), even 900 sqft is too large for us.  The garage also allowed me to justify keeping the 2nd car for way longer than necessary (2 years) and the extra space allowed for stuff to sit unnoticed (out of sight out of mind).  Going forward, I think we're good with 500 sqft - my wife only really cares about having a decent bathroom and kitchen.

With FIRE and life changes coming, we decided to completely minimize and start from scratch.  We are literally planning to sell the bed out from under us.  We're also planning to move about 10.5 hours south of our current location and I didn't want to pay to move/store more stuff than we needed/wanted.  We can always re-buy essentials.  Ultimately, our end-goal is to be able to pick up and leave any place that we end up at without having to go through an ordeal like this again!  The possibility of being nomadic or semi-nomadic is pretty appealing.

Anyhow, with our current timeline we have about a month left to get rid of / donate the rest of the items.  As I said elsewhere on the forum, maybe I'll journal about this experience someday soon.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5083 on: August 08, 2017, 07:01:13 AM »

During gift season, it is a very good habit to make a wishlist of things you really want to get. If you are planning to buy something, put it on your wist and wait until the gift season. This way you might not receive so much nonsense.

I do have a wishlist, well, a folder in my chrome favourites. All year when I see something someone might like I file it in the 'gift' folder. I have a subfolder called 'me' for stuff I would like but never buy! But I would only ever suggest something if someone asked. I would never volunteer that information without a specific request (which my in-laws regularly make, bless them).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #5084 on: August 08, 2017, 03:53:56 PM »
Anyhow, with our current timeline we have about a month left to get rid of / donate the rest of the items.  As I said elsewhere on the forum, maybe I'll journal about this experience someday soon.

If you do, please post a link here.  It seems like a really interesting journey!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5085 on: August 08, 2017, 07:38:34 PM »
Dehumidifier sold and is gone! :)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #5086 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:08 PM »

Glad you asked!  Well, in 2015 we moved out of our ~2000 sqft house, which had an unfinished basement and 2-car garage into a ~ 900 sqft duplex with a 1-car garage.  When we first moved, we got rid of ALOT of stuff (probably 75%), so all of this stuff is just what we moved from the first house.  We found that with our current lifestyle (DINKS that don't really need much), even 900 sqft is too large for us.  The garage also allowed me to justify keeping the 2nd car for way longer than necessary (2 years) and the extra space allowed for stuff to sit unnoticed (out of sight out of mind).  Going forward, I think we're good with 500 sqft - my wife only really cares about having a decent bathroom and kitchen.

With FIRE and life changes coming, we decided to completely minimize and start from scratch.  We are literally planning to sell the bed out from under us.  We're also planning to move about 10.5 hours south of our current location and I didn't want to pay to move/store more stuff than we needed/wanted.  We can always re-buy essentials.  Ultimately, our end-goal is to be able to pick up and leave any place that we end up at without having to go through an ordeal like this again!  The possibility of being nomadic or semi-nomadic is pretty appealing.

Ah that makes sense. We are DINKS also and I think 2000sqft would be too much space and would just fill up like yours did. We are now in about 1100sqft including a tiny garage and it's too big so we are going to go to 650sqft plus a decent sized garage that will store a car plus toys. In a couple of months I will do another round of decluttering so that hopefully next June/July when we move we won't have too much trouble fitting in...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5087 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:31 PM »

That's a good idea! I have an online wishlist for some things I am considering buying, so I can keep an eye on when they get on discount. I have never thought about sharing it with others and I do get a lot of nonsense during gift season. For some reason my relatives think I need certain things because I don't have them in my home. Even though I've tried to explain them a million times I don't have them in my house because I don't want them. In the past, I always used to say I didn't want any gifts, but they would just turn up with massive amounts of succulents. Then I asked for money, if they really felt like they had to give me something, but they won't give me money because I do 'stupid' things with them like paying off my mortgage or investing.

As my online wishlist contains mostly scientific books and whitegoods that need to be replaced in the future I'm not sure if they'd want to give that but at least it's worth a try :P .

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5088 on: August 09, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »

That's a good idea! I have an online wishlist for some things I am considering buying, so I can keep an eye on when they get on discount. I have never thought about sharing it with others and I do get a lot of nonsense during gift season. For some reason my relatives think I need certain things because I don't have them in my home. Even though I've tried to explain them a million times I don't have them in my house because I don't want them. In the past, I always used to say I didn't want any gifts, but they would just turn up with massive amounts of succulents. Then I asked for money, if they really felt like they had to give me something, but they won't give me money because I do 'stupid' things with them like paying off my mortgage or investing.

As my online wishlist contains mostly scientific books and whitegoods that need to be replaced in the future I'm not sure if they'd want to give that but at least it's worth a try :P .
I need to get started on mine for this year. One relative will go overboard and get us additional junk regardless, but we have a chance of getting something we actually want/need this way (and we also never offer it up, but it's routinely asked for).

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5089 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
I'm sure I've posted this around here before, but it's working for me, so I like sharing it.

I started asking for chocolate, coffee and wine for any gift occasion and being a little silly about it.  When I was a teenager I thought penguins were cute... so for ten years I received dozens of penguin themed items. I decided to gush over chocolate, coffee and wine and create that family knowledge that I love those things.  It's worked fairly well.  One year my cousin got me three pounds of coffee from a local roaster I'd never heard of.  I still dream about that coffee.  I've gotten starbucks giftcards, I often save them for when I am stuck in airports.  This past christmas my mom gave me a bag of coffee nestled in a bag full of fresh fruit from the local market.  It was perfect.  Consumable, something I buy myself as a treat, but for gifts people often splurge and I get to try new and different things.

As for getting rid of clutter.  I'm paused for now until I figure out my next life step, but I am actively working to finish things.  I completed a quilt this past weekend. 

I'm also traveling with a very small wardrobe this summer.  It's really helping me identify what works and what doesn't.  I lost some key pieces when I forgot them in a hotel room and found a hole in an almost new shirt, so I have been checking the thrift shops out, but working hard to resist extras and buy what I need.  I have tried a few styles that are new to me, but I've been able to return or donate back items that just don't work.  I tell myself it was just a $5 donation to goodwill and now I know what I don't like.  I don't need to keep it around just in case. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 07:58:16 AM by PMG »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5090 on: August 10, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm sure I've posted this around here before, but it's working for me, so I like sharing it.

I started asking for chocolate, coffee and wine for any gift occasion and being a little silly about it.  When I was a teenager I thought penguins were cute... so for ten years I received dozens of penguin themed items. I decided to gush over chocolate, coffee and wine and create that family knowledge that I love those things.  It's worked fairly well.  One year my cousin got me three pounds of coffee from a local roaster I'd never heard of.  I still dream about that coffee.  I've gotten starbucks giftcards, I often save them for when I am stuck in airports.  This past christmas my mom gave me a bag of coffee nestled in a bag full of fresh fruit from the local market.  It was perfect.  Consumable, something I buy myself as a treat, but for gifts people often splurge and I get to try new and different things.

As for getting rid of clutter.  I'm paused for now until I figure out my next life step, but I am actively working to finish things.  I completed a quilt this past weekend. 

I'm also traveling with a very small wardrobe this summer.  It's really helping me identify what works and what doesn't.  I lost some key pieces when I forgot them in a hotel room and found a hole in an almost new shirt, so I have been checking the thrift shops out, but working hard to resist extras and buy what I need.  I have tried a few styles that are new to me, but I've been able to return or donate back items that just don't work.  I tell myself it was just a $5 donation to goodwill and now I know what I don't like.  I don't need to keep it around just in case.

+100. Unfortunately it hasn't worked *as well* for me, but it's worked very well for husband (my family loves giving him things, haha). So he gets a lot of whiskey, coffee, wine. It's cut down on the influx of mis-sized clothing quite a lot, lol.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5091 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:16 PM »
Large bag of books and large bag of clothes both donated to the charity shop today.  The clothes were of the "this is a nice thing but not there's always something else I'd pick out to wear first" variety that have been hanging around unused for too long, so it was good to get rid of them and they should make a little money for the charity.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #5092 on: August 11, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
I'm halfway through the 'Simplify your life' challenge (by MuchelleB on youtube) and I've decluttered so much! Her approach is to declutter by category and take everything out of their normal space. That helps so much, because I've noticed I become blind to certain stuff when it's in its usual place.
1. Wardrobe
2. Books
3. Paper
4. Stationary
5. Electronics (excluding kitchen tools)
6. Digital space
7. Social media
8. Make-up
9. Kitchen
10. Beauty products, toiletries & medicine
11. Decor
12. Linen
13. Sentimental items
14. Category of choice (for me that was tools)

Oh and another great tip: keep a donation box at the bottom of a closet. So often I come across an item when I'm just going about my business and think "I don't really need this". Normally I'd put those items back because I didn't want to go to the thrift shop to drop off 1 item. Now I just toss it in the box. It fills up real fast!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5093 on: August 11, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »
I know of another thing I can do during rainy days. In the past I have scanned many of our CDs into the computer. But there are many left that are not scanned and that declutter the house. Eventhough most of them stand in one of the spare rooms, I don't want to bring them along next time we will be moving to another house (after FIRE).
Yes, I know we are old fashioned. We don't have an iTunes perscription or spotify. Although my DH has started to buy some music electronically on iTunes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5094 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »
I know of another thing I can do during rainy days. In the past I have scanned many of our CDs into the computer. But there are many left that are not scanned and that declutter the house. Eventhough most of them stand in one of the spare rooms, I don't want to bring them along next time we will be moving to another house (after FIRE).
Yes, I know we are old fashioned. We don't have an iTunes perscription or spotify. Although my DH has started to buy some music electronically on iTunes.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #5095 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:40 PM »

+100. Unfortunately it hasn't worked *as well* for me, but it's worked very well for husband (my family loves giving him things, haha). So he gets a lot of whiskey, coffee, wine. It's cut down on the influx of mis-sized clothing quite a lot, lol.

Me too, I know this all too well. At one time I was collecting porcelain houses so after people found out I was getting those every year well after I stopped collecting them. I didn't have the heart to tell people but I finally did a few years ago.  it was liberating.

As far as decluttering, I have been getting rid of this and that. Next  is the rest of my DVD collection.  I am about to take it to the library.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:11:53 PM by alleykat »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5096 on: August 11, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »
Well, got some items in (freebies from my mom going through her house), but more items OUT.
For example, since new slippers came in, my old slippers (worn down) are getting tossed.

Out of the house:
6 throw pillows (my mother keeps giving me throw pillows. I hate throw pillows)
SO MANY scrubs. Took in ALL my mom's old scrubs. Only 1 top and 2 pants fit, but that's still like $75 worth of scrubs. That shit be spendy. Will donate the WHOLE rest of the massive trash bag
An old pair of boots
1 pair uncomfortable slip ons
4 purses
1 wallet
2 pairs leggings
2 pairs tights
4 old shirts of hubby's, since he got new ones
2 small bags
1 duffel bag
40 bajillion hangars (approximate)
2 old workout shirts of hubby's
Probably more that I'm forgetting

I also threw out a few expired medicines and a nearly empty face cream I haven't used in ages.

It feels nice to make some forward progress on decluttering for the first time in a long time.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5097 on: August 12, 2017, 12:17:21 AM »
Well done everyone!
I'm still at it. Just finished decluttering and organising the linen cupboard. 3 large garbage  bags of assorted items have been donated, and a small bag of rubbish thrown out. I think I still have too much, but at least the items I've been hanging  onto and not using for over a decade (!!!) have all gone.

It feels good to know what is there, once more.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5098 on: August 12, 2017, 01:36:35 AM »
When I was at my parents house last weekend looking for some spare parts that came with my tuba, I ended up taking a bunch of old stuff home with me I didn't realize I had left at their house. It was pretty much all garbage. I pitched or gave away 95% of it. It was things like stuffed animals I won with skee-ball tickets and trinkets I had gotten on vacations when I was a kid like a miniature replica of the Liberty Bell. I was a pack rat when I was younger.

I think I finally have all of my old belongings out of my parents house now. The sad thing is, most of what I left there was just junk that could have been tossed 10 years ago and it would have made no impact on my life. I completely forgot about the stuff in my old drawers.

Now, I just need to convince my parents to let go of some stuff. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:57:08 AM by mies »

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #5099 on: August 12, 2017, 03:26:55 AM »
I usually Clean out our storage units once every year. The garage is nice and tidy since I also work out there. It is a very rewarding process to go through all thing, Clean and put the thing back you need. The Project for this summer will be to figure out a good way to store left over building material. I often find myself needing a piece of this and that. It is also good to have when doing thing with the Children. I am thinking about building some kind of shelf so the lumber does not lie directly on the floor