Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850078 times)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #500 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Went through a box and a half of the latest pile my mom dropped off.  Sorted clothing and items into trash (bathing suits from 20 years ago do not hold their elasticity...), goodwill and keep.  Went through a big folder of papers, tossing most.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: July 23, 2014, 07:32:18 PM »
My decluttering game of the moment is to declutter by date. For example, since today is the 23rd, I have to find 23 things to get rid of. For some reason that is more motivational to me than decluttering 15 minutes/day, or the same number of things/day. Weird, but I'll take any motivation I can get. I started this game on the 20th, so I have gotten rid of 86 things so far. Mostly I got rid of small things so I don't see much progress yet, but I will soon.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #502 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:25 AM »
BZB, that sounds like a really fun way to get rid of stuff.  I like it!  I might try it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:14 AM »
Went through a box and a half of the latest pile my mom dropped off.  Sorted clothing and items into trash (bathing suits from 20 years ago do not hold their elasticity...), goodwill and keep.  Went through a big folder of papers, tossing most.

Went through another half a box of papers, recycling most last night.  I'm trying to do a little each week.  Slow and steady will eventually get me through all of the remaining boxes!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
I've decluttered a measly 1/2 a box the whole month of July. I still have a moving box from 4 1/2 years ago. Its up really high so I just keep not seeing it. Wish I could bring this up to my consciousness more often, but I get so consumed with the nitty gritty of life that I actually forget to declutter.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #505 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:14 AM »
Went through all of our papers and tossed about half (or rather put in the to-be-shredded pile).

Cleared out some clothes that had been on the chopping block for too long - a skirt that wrinkles, two pairs of inherited socks, and a dress that I'm always self conscious in.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #506 on: July 25, 2014, 05:42:50 AM »
I've had such an urge to declutter and finish some lingering projects, but no time to make it happen! Clutter in my house is very sneaky because it's not visible until you open a drawer or cabinet, or take a peek in a closet. I know it's there though and it makes me crazy!!

I have been squeezing in time here and there to read a wonderful book that I highly recommend to anyone in need of decluttering motivation- "The Joy of Less" by Francine Jay (aka Miss Minimalist).

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: July 25, 2014, 08:00:16 AM »
My decluttering game of the moment is to declutter by date. For example, since today is the 23rd, I have to find 23 things to get rid of. For some reason that is more motivational to me than decluttering 15 minutes/day, or the same number of things/day. Weird, but I'll take any motivation I can get. I started this game on the 20th, so I have gotten rid of 86 things so far. Mostly I got rid of small things so I don't see much progress yet, but I will soon.

That's a really great idea!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:25 AM »
So far my decluttering by date game has worked really well, especially since we're in the big number side of the month. I found a bunch of old cleaners, spray paint bottles, and other toxic chemicals to take to the hazardous waste drop off today.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2014, 01:40:49 PM »
Today I am dealing with my sock tote, literally a large plastic tote FULL of socks that need to be matched...or turned into dog toys. It might swallow me whole....

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2014, 03:42:47 PM »
Just posted 25 eBay auctions to clear some signed books off my shelves!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #511 on: July 26, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
I feel a dip in my energy for getting rid of things because the clothing swap I was looking forward to this month never happened. So now, clothes that I set aside to swap are just sitting in a cabinet. If stuff doesn't actually GO, it makes it harder for me to mentally continue setting things aside. No visible progress, you know?

But I'll keep on keepin' on. I have about five days left before I go to America to get married and bring back a dude with tons of his own things. Then we'll move to a new apartment. So, ya... I can handle some of this now.

Another option is to just drop things off in donation bins, but then I don't get the option of swapping for things I could potentially wear. I really could benefit from more work clothes...

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »
I've spent a good amount of time this summer trying to help a relative that is a hoarder clean out her house and yesterday we hit the 20,000 pound mark at the dump.  And I'd estimate that that much if not more has gone to the recycle and donate centers as well.  The sad thing is  we've only managed to clear out maybe 20% of the hoard.  So keep up the decluttering everyone. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »
I've spent a good amount of time this summer trying to help a relative that is a hoarder clean out her house and yesterday we hit the 20,000 pound mark at the dump.  And I'd estimate that that much if not more has gone to the recycle and donate centers as well.  The sad thing is  we've only managed to clear out maybe 20% of the hoard.  So keep up the decluttering everyone.

That sounds like a nightmare.  How is your relative dealing with letting things go? 

I just decluttered the garage.  My "corner" of the garage is dedicated mostly to horse feed and other horse items that get ferried back and forth to the barn on a regular basis.  However, lots of tools and general crap had accumulated there too.  Found some horse items that need to be either sold or given away; it's time for an Ebay blitz.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2014, 08:20:33 PM »
Moved xcountry two years ago.  Moved from rental house one year ago.  Did major purges, had garage sales, sold on CL.

I undertook a basement clean out the last two weeks, and somehow got rid of about four boxes of stuff, and cleared out two plastic tubs for future storage needs.  How is that possible?  How does all this stuff accumulate?

Every time I do a good purge, it inspires me to be more valiant about keeping the junk from coming in in the first place.  That is always good, especially as we visit my parents next week, and they want to buy things for us.  I already told them that all the kids need is socks, underwear, and school shoes.  No toys, no other clothes. 

I wish I could get rid of photo albums and framed photographs without guilt. But for now they stay.  Maybe some day. 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2014, 02:00:17 AM »
How do you guys deal with greeting cards with really nice thoughtful messages written in them? The generic ones I can easily throw away, but these are way more difficult.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #516 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:14 AM »
How do you guys deal with greeting cards with really nice thoughtful messages written in them? The generic ones I can easily throw away, but these are way more difficult.

One per person if I'm feeling generous - at the end of the day it's to help remember my relationship with the person.  I'm not really a card person though, so my mementos tend to be displayable.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #517 on: July 28, 2014, 06:33:34 AM »
Thanks, smalllife. The one-per-person rule seems like it could work for me. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #518 on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:24 AM »

Gather them together, cut out the important messages and turn them into a piece of art, or scan them and let the physical copies go.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
I joined this forum to get motivated but honestly, I think I am paralyzed by my clutter -- don't know where to start so I don't start at all<sigh>  complainypants, I know.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #520 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Books have been creeping into my apartment lately. I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of them, and karma swept right in with a great solution! A "take a book - leave a book" shelf at work! If there isn't one where you work, I highly recommend it! I've brought in more books than I've taken out, so now I have less at home. When I'm done reading a book, I just put it back where I found it. A great system, if you ask me!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #521 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:32 PM »
Gather them together, cut out the important messages and turn them into a piece of art, or scan them and let the physical copies go.

I like the first idea! :D

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #522 on: July 28, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
Um, be careful - I read on another decluttering site of someone who did that - turned out her passport was in one of the boxes.  Ouch.

Bought our first house back in January and still have tonnes of boxes stashed away which havnt been opened since. Im of the opinion that if it hasnt been needed in the past 6 months, its unlikely to be needed much at all so better to get rid of most of it!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
I have 197 children's books in the trunk to take to work for the book drive.

Our entire company's goal was 2,000 books.  I think they will be surprised when I show up with 10% of the book drive myself.  We LOVE books, but now that the kids have graduated to Nook and iPad paper books are just clutter.  I was trying so hard to get to 200, but I am keeping a few signed/sentimental books. Bernie's Books will be reallocating these books to low-income children.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
I have 197 children's books in the trunk to take to work for the book drive.

Our entire company's goal was 2,000 books.  I think they will be surprised when I show up with 10% of the book drive myself.  We LOVE books, but now that the kids have graduated to Nook and iPad paper books are just clutter.  I was trying so hard to get to 200, but I am keeping a few signed/sentimental books. Bernie's Books will be reallocating these books to low-income children.
That is seriously cool! We have too many soft toys (sentimental no-kids-yet couple), and I have just started thinking they would do better for kids who don't have toys than hanging around our house.

I took everything out of my kitchen cupboards last night, and rearranged the lot. Haven't gotten rid of anything yet, but now we can see all of it! I also rearranged the pantry. It's overfull, so we'll be eating our way through it over the next few months.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #525 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:03 AM »
I'm a couple of boxes lighter and 90.00 richer. I have been posting stuff on our local buy and sell page as I find it - mostly books but a old game we haven't played in a while, some old jewellery and a candle I was gifted that is way too smelly for us.

Some of our pantry surplus, and some new groceries from costco I am boxing up and taking to a local family who needs it. Will also take some kids books I found while organizing I know the kids will like.

Today my main goal is to finally decide what to do with some old clothing I have moved with twice and not worn....

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: July 30, 2014, 11:54:50 AM »
I've been continuing to make small progress.  Finally let go of a dress that is comfortable and has held up well over the years but isn't my style and never makes me feel pretty.  I felt the weight of letting that one go.

Question:  do I need to hang on to my navy blue strappy sandals with the really uncomfortable heel?  The ONLY time I wear these shoes is to weddings, however, they are kind of my only wedding-appropriate shoe.  (Typically I hobble in these shoes for the ceremony and then after dinner switch into flats that don't quite match my outfit, but at that point I'm a little tipsy so I don't care!).  It does seem like I should have one pair of wedding-appropriate shoes, but only wearing these stupid shoes a couple times a year seems silly. 

I do have 2 pairs of businessy closed-toe heels (purple and black) that would work with some of my formal wear dresses, but probably not the salmon/pink one and definitely not the brown dress....

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #527 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »

That sounds like a nightmare.  How is your relative dealing with letting things go? 

Some days are good and some days are bad.  She is also dealing with the death of her mother so it's been a difficult few months for her.   

Friday we are going to start on a room that hasn't been opened in over 25 years.  She told me yesterday that she has cleared a path to the door but she was afraid to open it and see what kind of condition it's in.  They have a BIG mouse problem so who knows what we'll find.

Our grandma lived with them when she was elderly so they ended up with all of her things when she passed away.   I'm pushing her to get through this room before I head back to school because the family pictures should be in that room and honestly I want the pictures of my dad that they have. 

One bonus is that it's made me ruthless with my own junk.  I've gone through my things here and I've gotten rid of several bags of stuff and once I get to school I'm going to do the same there.  It's freeing to live in a space that isn't packed with stuff.

TeresaB

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:05 AM »
Question:  do I need to hang on to my navy blue strappy sandals with the really uncomfortable heel?  The ONLY time I wear these shoes is to weddings, however, they are kind of my only wedding-appropriate shoe.  (Typically I hobble in these shoes for the ceremony and then after dinner switch into flats that don't quite match my outfit, but at that point I'm a little tipsy so I don't care!).  It does seem like I should have one pair of wedding-appropriate shoes, but only wearing these stupid shoes a couple times a year seems silly. 

I do have 2 pairs of businessy closed-toe heels (purple and black) that would work with some of my formal wear dresses, but probably not the salmon/pink one and definitely not the brown dress....

If you only go to a couple weddings a year, how many formal wear dresses do you need? Can you get rid of the pink one and the brown one and the uncomfortable shoes and then just wear the businessy heels with the remaining dresses to your couple weddings a year?

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: July 31, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »
If you only go to a couple weddings a year, how many formal wear dresses do you need? Can you get rid of the pink one and the brown one and the uncomfortable shoes and then just wear the businessy heels with the remaining dresses to your couple weddings a year?

But the pink one and the brown one are the prettiest ones!!  I have a hard time letting go of formal wear dresses, because when I'm a few pounds up they tend to be forgiving in different ways.  I think for now I'll just hold on to all of them, it's not like this is clutter really.  I'll let this advice set for a while and reassess when the fall wedding season is over.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: July 31, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

But the pink one and the brown one are the prettiest ones!!  I have a hard time letting go of formal wear dresses, because when I'm a few pounds up they tend to be forgiving in different ways.  I think for now I'll just hold on to all of them, it's not like this is clutter really.  I'll let this advice set for a while and reassess when the fall wedding season is over.
I would recommend keeping them because they're expensive to replace.  I have too many formal dresses that I rarely wear.  However the replacement cost (time and money) is too high for me to purge them.  I focus on getting rid of excess t-shirts, worn out items, and items that I will NEVER wear again.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #531 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:09 PM »
I just tossed my only formal outfit. Decided even if I needed it i just wouldn't wear it again. Since I've lost some weight it looks weird. However this weight loss is good, I actually have clothes that are too big now. Daggy ones are tossed. Good ones that are expensive to replace are stored in the bottom of the closet for now. Of course I'm "never going back", but thats happened before, so I'm just keeping them for the moment.  Good news is I went around looking for stuff that could fill up my garbage bin and couldn't find much! Must be making progress. Still heaps of stuff to declutter, but mostly will need to be donated/sold. Ahem, then there's the paper clutter…..still….

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:18 PM »
I feel like I am always de-cluttering and thought I didn't have anymore to get rid of. But I was wrong. And glad I was!

- 1 med Box and a bag of books ranging in subjects (off to the library). I did get rid of my whole Anne Rice collections I've started 20 years ago!
- 1 sm box of books (niche subject) off to a friend's house because she has a friend that wants them.
- 1 roll of 6.0 mm heavy duty plastic to friend's dad.
- tossed old suitcase and lots of odds & ends
- clothes (off to thrift store donation)
- 2 blankets (donating to animal shelter)
- 3 pairs of running shoes (donating to local running club. goes to kids at local high school)
- 1 David Bowie 4-CD 'box set' I've had for eons (gifting to relative)

And I am loving my walk-in closet! Didn't realize I had one! ;)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »
And I sold a handbag tonight for $50! Clutter-Be-Gone
The FB local garage sale groups make a great place to sell.

And I cleaned out the jacket closet. Donating.

All this decluttering feels great!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #534 on: August 05, 2014, 05:24:12 AM »
I'm having zero luck with CL and only flighty/flaky potential buyers on Fb yard sales.  I'm having an open house to sell my condo this weekend and I seriously need to get rid of some bulky weird items.  And of course I would welcome the extra cash too.  :)

canuckie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »
Over the last few weeks I have gotten rid of THREE (!) giant bags of clothes (and one bag full of ...bags). I  can't believe I even had that much. It feels really great to be free of that giant mass of useless. I feel lighter, and am now itching to find other things to toss!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #536 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:38 PM »
@mc6 do u could always do the "Monica closet" from Friends. Where its filled with lots of Stuff to make her place seem clutter free. ;)

@cunuckie i agree - is a great feeling to declutter!

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #537 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
(We have a lot of bikes!) The bf and I finally gathered together a big pile of bike parts, wheels, tires, and accessories that we are done with and are going to take it all down to the local bike kitchen. The guys there are running a nice little business and they help out folks that need some transportation. Some of the stuff we could sell if we really wanted to take the time to do so but I decided to let the bike kitchen guys try to make some $ off it. Those guys don't have any sort of internet so I am also giving them an old smartphone that I am done with. They could go to the library and use the free wifi to get online if they want.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: August 09, 2014, 03:47:31 AM »
FINALLY, I took several things to the thrift store:

Plastic mug
Ceramic mug
Electric steamer
Backrest pillow
2 stools
several glasses
5 brand new large candles

Some of these items had been on my porch for.....TWO YEARS!  I'm so glad I finally got motivated to really get rid of them!

I need to keep up the momentum and start getting rid of some clothes.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2014, 11:38:17 AM »
I love this challenge - we recently downsized to a smaller apartment, and that was a huge catalyst for getting rid of stuff. Our old place had tons of storage space, and you just don't feel any sort of urgency to get rid of, say, a toaster you never use if it just sits on a cupboard out of sight. I've gotten rid of three garbage bags of clothes, a bag of excess linens/towels/blankets, my couch, my old hulk of a kitchen table (replaced with a sleek wooden folding one), so many books, and so much other random crap.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: August 10, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
My favourite method of getting rid of stuff is trying not to let it get into the apartment in the first place.  Easier said than done though.  I took maybe a medium-sized box of stuff that didn't sell at our garage sale this spring over to the thrift store. 

I do have some concerns about accumulating more since the place we are moving into is larger than where we live now even though the rent is quite a bit cheaper. 

abuzzyisawesome

• Stubble
« Reply #541 on: August 20, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »
Sold $45 worth of clutter on our local FB sell page. The house is starting to feel lighter and more airy.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #542 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Totally doing the same, local FB yardsale. sold an extra dining set, bed frame, cameral lens, and garden planter. In fact, I need to run off and deliver it right now!

It does feel wonderful! And even when I didn't think I have stuff to sell, something shows up in my house. and I'm like, "oh ya, i can sell that" ;)

medstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #543 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
First time poster here! I'm using my last week of summer vacation from grad school to purge stuff. Have already sold a few books on Amazon, and I have a big Ikea bag of clothes ready to go to Goodwill. Also trying out the yerdle app to give stuff away without the hassle of craigslist/freecycle.

jordanread

« Reply #544 on: August 22, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »
For those of you getting rid of clothing and accessories, you might want to check out liketwice.com and thredup.com.  They are used clothing websites and they will send you a pre-paid shipping bag.  Send them your sellable stuff, and they'll make an offer on the whole lot.  I sent a giant bag to liketwice a few months ago and got $125!  It's much, much easier than trying to sell on ebay or to an individual buyer.  Liketwice is women's clothing only, thredup is women's , boys, girls, and baby as well as shoes and accessories. 

Here are some referral links that give you and me a bonus but you certainly don't need to use them: www.liketwice.com/GLdQ9  and http://www.thredup.com/r/XYUOUP

All right, I'm in. We're going to be moving in the next year, but today, it's primarily the "In Training" part of my signature. I have a storage unit. Just sold an elliptical, but have a lot more to go through. Just quoted that message above so that I remember the links. They may be useful.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #545 on: August 25, 2014, 02:05:35 PM »
I read about the 30 day declutter challenge on another forum, and I am currently on day 10. I'm excited to receive my shipping bags from donatestuff.com so I can get rid of my growing pile of clothes.

I mentioned the challenge to my husband, and I'm hoping by day 30 he will see how wonderful it is to get rid of things and start doing it too.

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #546 on: August 27, 2014, 03:08:04 AM »
I'm in! We are possibly moving across country next year.  My goals are to sell off everything and only buy the necessities in the new place.  This week, I've sold off $575 in electronics (video games just sitting on shelves or in closets).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: August 27, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
Taking first batch of books to be sold/donated today--next batch and a bag of things for the consignment store in waiting for later this week. I also need to either recycle or give to a friend my moving boxes now that I've unpacked and my new roommate is moving in! I should also try to find a way to get rid of the many excess tote/grocery bags I have...

te rose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #548 on: August 27, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
I wish I could handle my stuff problem.  I have my parents house full of stuff since they passed away and no relatives to help.  My mother was disabled and her enjoyment was QVC, ect.  The stuff is all real good brand hew stuff.  All the estate businesses want 40% and I think that is too much.  Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

te rose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #549 on: August 27, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
Having problems with sign in

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!