Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850139 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4950 on: July 03, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
Finally got my old dresser out to the curb (It's been empty for months, wife has been coming up with excuses) - it was from my first furniture as a kid, 40 years ago. And it wasn't really high quality either. Wife did give up a broken office chair as well.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #4951 on: July 04, 2017, 05:04:30 AM »
I let go of three emotionally invested items today. It was hard to let go but it is going to go to a better place - I hope!

When Cadel Evans became the first Australian to win the Tour de France, I had spent that entire month of July watching him and urging him and screaming hoarsely to win and conquer the mountains as hours passed midnight here. When Cadel beat Contador, it was a sweet moment.

Anyhoo, the morning of his win, I went to the nearest BMC dealer here and bought the Team BMC Hincapie cycling jersey and cycling cap. I bought the same jersey he was wearing on the podium in Paris.

Years later, the jersey has remained unused, hung in my wardrobe not seeing sunlight; same with the cycling cap and same with the other cycling jersey. Tonight, my childhood friend had written a letter to my mother and she showed me photos of him and his son - the latter an avid cyclist who has won a couple of races and who liked BMC but wearing the knock-offs.

The BMC jersey is going to a better place.

I still have a BMC Jacket, not to mention my BMC bike. But those $200 cycling clothing items which I have rarely used will find better use elsewhere and hopefully appreciated by a better athlete.

It's time to let go of my piece of Cadel and a piece of that magical moment in July. Vale jersey - I will miss what you stood for but I never saw you. I'm going to be Buddhist and zen about this all....

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4952 on: July 04, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »
too-fancy knitting purse/handbag - will sell to knitting friend when I see her on 7/3
tennis racket - listed

Yay! Friend came through on her promise to buy the purse! Sydneystache, it might be as good a match between this purse and this friend as your cycling gear and your good friends son. She and I bought the same bag at the same convention a few years ago. While she fell in love with hers, I kind of never adjusted to mine. Now she has a nearly-new version of her beloved bag from a vendor who is now out of business, and I have $X!

Racket-taker #1 backed out at the last minute yesterday. Taking a day off decluttering and will reach out to the next interested party tomorrow.

Mr. O is out of town starting Thursday, so I will list the stability ball then. He won't agree to get rid of this huge thing in our tiny apartment that has sat in the corner, unused, blocking the fire escape for *years*. So I'm doing it behind his back.

Edit: autocorrect
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:15:55 PM by oneday »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4953 on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »
I let go of three emotionally invested items today. It was hard to let go but it is going to go to a better place - I hope!

When Cadel Evans became the first Australian to win the Tour de France, I had spent that entire month of July watching him and urging him and screaming hoarsely to win and conquer the mountains as hours passed midnight here. When Cadel beat Contador, it was a sweet moment.

Anyhoo, the morning of his win, I went to the nearest BMC dealer here and bought the Team BMC Hincapie cycling jersey and cycling cap. I bought the same jersey he was wearing on the podium in Paris.

Years later, the jersey has remained unused, hung in my wardrobe not seeing sunlight; same with the cycling cap and same with the other cycling jersey. Tonight, my childhood friend had written a letter to my mother and she showed me photos of him and his son - the latter an avid cyclist who has won a couple of races and who liked BMC but wearing the knock-offs.

I still have a BMC Jacket, not to mention my BMC bike. But those $200 cycling clothing items which I have rarely used will find better use elsewhere and hopefully appreciated by a better athlete.

It's time to let go of my piece of Cadel and a piece of that magical moment in July. Vale jersey - I will miss what you stood for but I never saw you. I'm going to be Buddhist and zen about this all....

Beautifully written. I really felt this.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #4954 on: July 05, 2017, 12:48:00 AM »
Thanks! Cadel lifted the nation that night *sniff, sniff*

DH says to keep it as a collector's item but I know I will NEVER use it again. It's Tour de France time too. I have been staring at Cadel's BMC SLR01 bike which he rode to win the maillot jaune just to soothe the pain but I don't do road bikes anyway. Hate the high seat post and the aggressive riding position which makes people look like hunchbacks of Notre Dame.

I'm going Primal Wear window shopping now...

Nancy

« Reply #4955 on: July 05, 2017, 04:47:13 AM »
I'm moving this weekend, so I've been trying to declutter first. I picked up Kondo's Spark Joy to motivate me. I've donated books, shoes, clothes, and kitchenware. I still have way too much stuff.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4956 on: July 05, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
*snip*
Mr. O is out of town starting Thursday, so I will list the stability ball then. He won't agree to get rid of this huge thing in our tiny apartment that has sat in the corner, unused, blocking the fire escape for *years*. So I'm doing it behind his back.

This doesn't seem like a bad move to you?  Wouldn't it be better to deflate it and stick it under his dresser or in his closet space?  To deflate it, you might need either something blunt and poky or a spoon to remove a plastic stopper.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4957 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
@With This Herring: normally I'd agree with you. In this case, 1) there is no such free space and 2) ostensibly the ball is "mine", as I bought it and used it in place of an office chair for a time.

I'm taking a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach on this one item. Thanks for the deflation links!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4958 on: July 06, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
When I moved in, the previous owners left behind one of the shelving units that stands above the toilet. I didn't like it, didn't want it, and finally found the proper screwdriver to take it apart and throw it out on Saturday. Sunday, I went in the bathroom and realized that the smell of urine was mostly gone. Great. That's why the bottom of the legs were yellow.

Anyone know how to clean under pedestal sinks without moving them? I suspect that's why the other bathroom smells of urine.

Boys and men, please sit down to pee. I don't care if it isn't cool, I don't want these problems.

Bleach is one of the only things to neutralize the ammonia in pee. I don't know if it will fix yours, but I would try mixing up a fresh spray bottle of diluted bleach solution and spray it up, around, under and anywhere you can thoroughly soak the pedestal sink. Hopefully lots will soak into the porous back of the porcelain and neutralize as much as possible. Good luck.

I was advised never to put marble tile in a bathroom for obvious reasons, as porous stone + ammonia soaking in is one of the worst combinations.

Mixing bleach and ammonia generates a rather nasty compound: Chloramine. If you do use this technique, PLEASE ventilate thoroughly.

For those interested, spraying Nature's Miracle seems to have done the trick. Still working on cleaning up the mess in general (forgot to go back to it), but the urine smell is gone.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4959 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
For those who need to digitize their books:
https://www.diybookscanner.org/

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4960 on: July 06, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
@With This Herring: normally I'd agree with you. In this case, 1) there is no such free space and 2) ostensibly the ball is "mine", as I bought it and used it in place of an office chair for a time.

I'm taking a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach on this one item. Thanks for the deflation links!

Oh!  I didn't know it is yours!  That makes a big difference.  :)

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4961 on: July 07, 2017, 12:19:31 AM »
The ball is dusted & posted!  Also a bike that Mr. O had been selling. With him out of town, I'm taking that over.  I still have the tennis racket listed, am supposed to meet someone tomorrow for that, but I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch.

Whew.  This seems like a lot to juggle.  But if the tennis racket goes like promised, then I only have 2 things to manage, and it'll be a weekend.  I think I can do it.

On another note, while I waited for the picture of the ball to go from my phone to the computer via Dropbox, I cleaned out 400 pix from Dropbox that got duplicated in there somehow.  Why did it take so long for that one picture to go through Dropbox?  Because I had both the wifi and data turned off!  *Slaps forehead*

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4962 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:06 AM »
I've made good progress packing away normal clothes and filling my wardrobe with (hand me down, thankfully!) maternity clothes. The problem now is volume. One friend gave me about 20 pairs of jeans (she had been given loads by other people and so on), but they are all different sizes, so I do want to hold onto them all throughout my pregnancy as I don't know where I'll end up. I have the space, I guess, I just prefer empty shelves.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4963 on: July 07, 2017, 11:18:20 PM »
Yay, the tennis racket is gone! 

I found some more yarn; gonna reach out to the lady who took the first batch & see if she wants it.  She seemed so pleased with her yarn...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4964 on: July 08, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
Woo! After one flakeout, sold the old oxyacetylene torch and regulators today for $95.  It was acquired originally with some other stuff I actually wanted and used, for a total of $100.  Probably should see if I can sell the buffer and turn this into a profit - I'm really not using it.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4965 on: July 08, 2017, 10:01:54 PM »
Yay, the stability ball is gone!  As a bonus, I scrubbed the two big black marks it had made on the walls, so the evidence that it lurked in the corner of our bedroom for years is also gone!

Put a stuffed toy and a greeting card in the donation box.  Found 2 tiny notepads; put them on the table to take to work where I will use them.

I had a little twinge of guilt yesterday because the USB cord I got from Amazon arrived.  Like, how dare I bring something INTO the house! When I've been working so hard to move things out!  But I was able to counter that by thinking about how I ruined my other USB cord a few days before that by dropping my phone while it was on the charger, so I'm not in violation of the one-in-one-out rule.  Whew! Close call.  I don't want to get obsessive or anxious about decluttering.

The lady who took the first batch of yarn is lined up to take the second batch.   The bike is listed & I have 2 interested parties.

I was worried having 3 things listed, but am so quickly back down to 1 thing.  I just may list another item tomorrow, but I think I'll wait until after the yarn is gone. 

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #4966 on: July 08, 2017, 10:20:23 PM »
Brought a big box of assorted stuff to Goodwill...
Whooop!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4967 on: July 09, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
I've started working with on thinning out my book collection.  I was getting pretty bogged down and discouraged because it was hard getting rid of certain books I haven't read yet.  I decided to compromise by reading through my backlog and discarding each one when I'm done -- possibly keeping some that I think I'll reread, but probably not.  This will kill two birds with one stone: I'll finally get through that backlog, and declutter my book collection at the same time.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4968 on: July 09, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Not directly related but experience while decluttering:

Super frustrated with one of the new apps that lists items for selling. I and posted a few phones and tablets and got 30+ hits within a few minutes - sadly almost all of them were scammers. I think I should just stick to Craigslist. I really wish Craigslist had an app interface to make the listing part easy. That is my roadblock :(

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4969 on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Two pairs of jeans sold for $40 so I will post those today.

And I've put some empty shoeboxes out for recycling.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4970 on: July 09, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
Yay, the bike is gone!  Of all the things I have gotten rid of, that one took up the most physical space...sooooo glad to reclaim that space!

The lady taking the yarn flaked, but we are trying to meet later this week.  I hope so!

Listed a camera for sale, hope that goes quickly like the bike did.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4971 on: July 09, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
19 nail polishes given away on buy nothing. I cleared out my collection last year to just 2 containers, but now decided to only have one. At least 5 of them were purchased in 2002. (Which is better than the blush from 1994 I threw away last year. It's the only blush I've ever owned. I still used it on rare occasion.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4972 on: July 09, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Finally gave away some homeschool textbooks that were below the grade of my youngest child.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4973 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:52 AM »
I've finally done the switch to my maternity wardrobe, and took the opportunity to throw away anything with holes in it or excessive wear. I also donated a few things that I don't like.

I did keep all my old ratty pajamas, because I figure they will be useful post partum, even as throw away ones if necessary. I've been putting off buying new nightwear for about 3 years, thinking I might get pregnant. I thought I'd buy myself all new stuff as a treat once the babies are here, but thinking it through I decided that wasn't stress I needed with newborns, so I'll use the ratty ones at first, and can use the 'new pajamas' reward as a reason to get out of the house in those early weeks.

Even just packing stuff away has made my house so much calmer. I'm loving the 'capsule' element of a pregnancy wardrobe. Most of it is hand-me-downs and not necessarily what I would have chosen. But the scarcity of choice is actually rather nice. I wonder if I'll get bored over the next few months? Will be interesting to see.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4974 on: July 10, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
Had a somewhat productive weekend where we got rid of some bigger furniture (finally!).  I want to get rid of everything so we can be somewhat nomadic in the next few months.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Coffee table
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Dining Table
- Multiple plate sets
- Kitchen appliances
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4975 on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:17 PM »
I think I caught my parents at a weak moment - they admitted that there is no need for me to keep the giant Keurig coffee machine they gave us. I got rid of it so fast after that! We only keep coffee for company, and it has been unreliable lately anyways since we use it so little. So I also gave away the pods, the carosal for the pods, and the giant box from the storage room it came in. At the same time I took another big box to the donate centre and sold a huge box of hobby supplies. I put together more hobby items to sell, but the buyer was very selective. I almost put the left over items away again, but then realized I know some teens who need something to do this summer - so I instead I filled up the box again with even more stuff that I will give away to them.  It feels fantastic to be making this progress.  Thanks everyone for the continued reminders and stories on this thread.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4976 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:44 PM »
Watched a video about clutter --- does that count?! hhahahahah!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4977 on: July 11, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
The batch of clothes for consignment is finally in my car - I will bring it in at lunchtime.  What the store doesn't take will go straight to the donation pile which now includes an unused suitcase, a backpack and a bunch of clothes not suitable for consignment. 

I'm eagerly waiting for my daughter to get a job and move out so that she can take some stuff with her.  I have some kitchen items, towels, bed linens, etc. that she can use. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #4978 on: July 11, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
I had such productive day yesterday.  I organized and decluttered.  I donated another bag of clothes and gave away a wall mirror to a relative.  The mirror was stored in my walk in closet so it wasn't really bothering me but I wasn't using it either so I finally decided to part with it.  It actually felt good to get some things out of the house. I even threw out some boxes from my fans and other things but some of my new small appliances boxes I kept for now.  I will be throwing them out eventually too.  I even organized my walk in closet and what a joy it is now to go in there. I still have too much stuff but for now, it will have to do. It is hard when you don't have a lot of room.  I would of continued for a few hours more because I was making some good progress but then my back did me in. 

I did a major declutter a couple of years back and felt so much lighter, I am ready to go through things again.

Can I ask what you folks do with collectibles if you had any?   I have lenox dolls, department 56 houses and other things. They are virtually worthless now but I cant bring myself to get rid of them just yet. 

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4979 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
I had such productive day yesterday.  I organized and decluttered.  I donated another bag of clothes and gave away a wall mirror to a relative.  The mirror was stored in my walk in closet so it wasn't really bothering me but I wasn't using it either so I finally decided to part with it.  It actually felt good to get some things out of the house. I even threw out some boxes from my fans and other things but some of my new small appliances boxes I kept for now.  I will be throwing them out eventually too.  I even organized my walk in closet and what a joy it is now to go in there. I still have too much stuff but for now, it will have to do. It is hard when you don't have a lot of room.  I would of continued for a few hours more because I was making some good progress but then my back did me in. 

I did a major declutter a couple of years back and felt so much lighter, I am ready to go through things again.

Can I ask what you folks do with collectibles if you had any?   I have lenox dolls, department 56 houses and other things. They are virtually worthless now but I cant bring myself to get rid of them just yet.

I don't have collectibles, but I have hobby tools & supplies.  I have offered them for free first to other hobbyists I know.  After that, I post them to either Craigslist or Facebook (a group similar to Buy Nothing) for free. 

If you can do "porch pick up", that is easiest.  I live in a gated community and so try to meet folks at the nearest coffee shop at a mutually convenient time for the hand off.  It's quite a bit more hassle, but I want to know that folks are going to appreciate what they are getting.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4980 on: July 11, 2017, 07:16:31 PM »

I don't have collectibles, but I have hobby tools & supplies.  I have offered them for free first to other hobbyists I know.  After that, I post them to either Craigslist or Facebook (a group similar to Buy Nothing) for free. 

If you can do "porch pick up", that is easiest.  I live in a gated community and so try to meet folks at the nearest coffee shop at a mutually convenient time for the hand off.  It's quite a bit more hassle, but I want to know that folks are going to appreciate what they are getting.

We've done "porch pickup" at least a dozen times ($20 or under each) - no issues other than usual flakes not showing up using Craigslist.

Porch Pickup: "It's on the porch, here's the address, leave the $15 under the mat. Thanks!"

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4981 on: July 12, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »
The batch of clothes for consignment is finally in my car - I will bring it in at lunchtime.  What the store doesn't take will go straight to the donation pile which now includes an unused suitcase, a backpack and a bunch of clothes not suitable for consignment. 

I'm eagerly waiting for my daughter to get a job and move out so that she can take some stuff with her.  I have some kitchen items, towels, bed linens, etc. that she can use. 

The consignment store took all but 4 items, so I'm planning to pack these and other stuff I have for donation and bring them in this weekend.

Daughter is doing a second round of interviews today so fingers crossed for the job and the move!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4982 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »
Yay!  Made it to the bank today & deposited $48.00 in coins.  Now my PJ drawer won't clank when I open it & scare the cat :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4983 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
I gave my collectible-Hummels etc to a husky rescue that will sell them on ebay. They are not worth much and it is a lot of work. I sold the really nice cabinet they were in.  I also gave them antique glassware that was worth about 20/piece. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving away something worth a fortune:))  It took me years to be able to do this. I had a nice collection of porcelain dolls which I gave away one by one when someone was asking for silent auction items. They were always thrilled to have them.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4984 on: July 13, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
Yay!  The lady & I *finally* connected & I gave her the rest of the yarn!  I am running out of things to get rid of...will have to change focus to combing through my belongings to find more.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4985 on: July 14, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »
I've been posting on and off on this thread for ages. I'm still at it. Another 2 large garbage bags of clothes and car load of times off to donation....My house is finally looking a bit emptier , but still more to go.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4986 on: July 14, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
Another update...

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- shoe racks (3)
- Papasan (pending sale tomorrow!)

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Dining Table set w/ 6 chairs
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4987 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:10 AM »

We live in a old farm house (1950's) that has been in my husband family for a while. His grand uncle lived there, his great grandma and even his parents lived there for a few years. By the time we got married, my husband had removed most of the old furniture/stuff and the house was very nice, but he showed me the attic mess: all things from those generations past that his folks (even not living there anymore) did not want him to get rid of "you might need it". That was the last time we went up to the attic.

Well... Husband is replacing some windows for more efficient ones in the back and had to remove the attic window... when I got home from work, there was a huge pile of stuff in the back of the house, and more and more stuff flying out. Stuffed deer head, about 5-6 chairs, 2 mattresses (one with a sticker: manufactured date 1929). Bed frames, old farm clothes (mostly jeans) lots of odd pieces of clothes - possibly to make quilts(?) old tables, desks, blankets and tarps... boxes and boxes of crap. Old cans of coffee with nails inside (not even good nails).

We burned all the wood furniture/stuff. It was a big fire! He will be taking all the metal stuff to our local recycling services this weekend.

I just wanted to share with the group; I'm proud to see husband finally cleaning everything... and now that the attic is mostly cleaned, he will be adding/replacing the insulation too! Win-win!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4988 on: July 14, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »

The consignment store took all but 4 items, so I'm planning to pack these and other stuff I have for donation and bring them in this weekend.

Daughter is doing a second round of interviews today so fingers crossed for the job and the move!

Daughter got the job and will be moving in the next couple of weeks - as soon as she finds a place to live in the new city!  Which means I can finally either give stuff to her (whatever she wants and needs only - I'm not planning to burden her with my c**p!) or get rid of it.  Yay!!!

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4989 on: July 14, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
My messy closet has been nagging at me for about 2 years.

I finally forced myself to take 1 hour last weekend and clean it up.

1 Large garbage bag of clothes, 2 pairs of shoes, 1 suit, 1 suitcase to Goodwill.

Lots of recycling, shredding, and trash. (Why was I keep documents from two employers ago in my closet?!)

Feeling much better.

Next step is the basement....that will probably be a whole day affair.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4990 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:44 AM »

2011 was an amazing race. Cadel won Stage 4 to Mur-de-Bretagne (out sprinting Contador up the hill). I remember a few things from this Tour - the summit finish at Plateau du Beille, crowd favourites Thor Hushovd and Thomas Voeckler holding yellow for a week each...

Stayed up for Stage 18, 19 and 20 - Andy Schleck gaining a minute on Cadel on the Col du Galibier, Pierre Rolland winning on Alp d'Huez (a stage in which they went the reverse route back over the Galibier, just for good measure). And then the final time trial in Grenoble.

In the second last straight before the line I don't think I'll ever forget Phil Liggett screaming out "and Cadel Evans is absolutely SLAUGHTERING them!!!"

What a race. This year is shaping up to be a good one too. Glad that it is not simply a Sky procession all the way to Paris. Fabio Aru is a cunning bastard :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4991 on: July 15, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4992 on: July 15, 2017, 04:56:09 AM »
Woohoo... today mustachepungoeshere and her husband helped me carry down an old dining table that's been gathering dust for 2 years in my apartment. Finally getting rid of it in the council cleanup!

Beautiful table, but couldn't sell it, and then couldn't get rid of it for free either.

Happy to help, and almost as happy as you are that it's gone!

Love that you can enjoy the space now.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4993 on: July 15, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4994 on: July 16, 2017, 12:24:03 PM »
Dropped a fair amount off at goodwill, including an old ikea chair we've had around for a few years since picking it up for free from our old apartment's recycling room. It wasn't super comfortable, though, and the space in the office is now being taken up by a second desk (also free, haha).

A ton of stuff set aside to return to my parents, too. They keep dropping their crap off without asking, ugh. Some of it is useful, I'll admit, but most is metric tons of crap they should just take to Goodwill. Parents: please do not do this to your children. Especially with the message "if you don't want it, give it back to us". Just let me get rid of it if you insist on dropping it off! </rant>

Anyway, finally went through a lot of decor that was trapped in a closet since we first moved in. Brother took his mattress finally, so we can access the closet now. Come to think of it, my biggest clutter problem is definitely family members!

What would happen if you just gave it to goodwill?

And stop being nice to family.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4995 on: July 16, 2017, 01:23:16 PM »
My MIL was a hoarder so when she asked me if I wanted anything I would say yes and then take it right to Goodwill. She never figured it out.  If I am getting rid of stuff that I think my kids might want I ask them first before I give it away.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4996 on: July 17, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Another productive weekend...  The only big furniture left is the bed set and the TV stand/table.

Listed:
- Manzanita branches
- Small weed whacker
- shoe racks (3)
- Queen bed set
- TV stand/table

To be listed:
- LCD TV
- Box fan
- Table fan
- Multiple plate sets
- Other wedding gifts that are still sitting around (married 8 years ago)
- Kitchen appliances
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs
- Desk and chair
- Couch and loveseat
- Coffee table
- Printer
- Papasan
- Dining table set w/ 6 chairs (gone in 2 days; maybe should've listed higher)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4997 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #4998 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

I'm so torn though. Family cast offs are how we outfitted our house and everything. Like seriously, we've bought... 1 piece of furniture? And got a couple off Buy Nothing. But it's usually good stuff, in great shape, way nicer than I would ever be comfortable buying. There's just SO much of it.

Anyway, it makes me feel guilty, because there is some that I do take and use and this stuff was so important to setting up a comfortable life without spending a ton of money when we were younger. =\

(Some of it that I think she won't miss does get disappeared to Goodwill though).

Bracken Joy, I feel you on the bold.  In our first apartment, Mr. O and I had bought the same: only 1 piece of furniture which was the TV stand, and actually he had that from before we met.  So as a couple, we didn't buy anything.  I was so proud of that!

But once the house is set up, unless you come across a nicer coffee table or loveseat or whatever, there's no reason to accept those things any more. 

Can you tell your family something like: Now that we are all set up, the things you drop off here, they are not coming back to you.  If this is a gift, it has to be unconditional.  If you want it back, you better just keep it in the first place.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4999 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
When we were young we accepted everyone's cast-offs too. But as we got more $ and acquired our own tastes we no longer did that. I think gently explaining that would be a good first step.