Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850108 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4900 on: June 25, 2017, 11:04:26 PM »
After several weekends of throwing away/donating things from the basement, we finally reached a milestone of sorts.  1/4 of our basement -- the part that used to be a play area for the kids -- is once again a play area for the kids.  A neat, tidy, organized play area with about 1/5 as many toys as before.  We even merged the upstairs playroom (formerly our dining room) into the basement play area.

Actually, come to think of it, the dining room is now neat and tidy too since it's nearly empty.  Not sure if we'll turn it back into a formal dining room or not, but the novelty of having an empty room is kinda cool.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4901 on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »
My dad is visiting and I gave him a plant ID book for the NW coast.  He is also taking my mom's mountain bike from the '80's.  I tried selling it a while back, but it turns out I'd put more into getting it tuned up than what anyone was willing to pay.  Glad to keep it in the family instead.

I also recently turned some scrap wood into horse jumps and brought them out to the stable, so less clutter in the shop.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4902 on: June 26, 2017, 12:53:20 AM »
Deposited a poorly built Jenga knockoff into our giveaway box. The pieces aren't standardized in size and so the tower is crooked/leaning before you even start. Lesson learned ... buy authentic Jenga.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4903 on: June 26, 2017, 02:30:03 AM »
Two years ago, one of our girls went off to college. She's a clutter monster. We set about her bedroom when she was gone. She was delighted with the result when she came home for vacations.

One year ago, she dropped out of college and took a year out to earn some money and think about her future.

This month, she went off again. Different city, different course, much more mature girl.

Guess what we're going to be doing when we can face the task?

One year! How does anyone collect so much tchotchke in one year?

Otherwise, we're doing very well. With RE on the horizon and a big ticket plaything on our shopping list, we're being focused about not bringing new stuff into the household and offloading what we don't need.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #4904 on: June 26, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
Almost gone:
hard drives - got one hooked up; I think I did a good job of getting the files of this one, now just need to look at the newer one which will probably need a lot of files moved over before it can go - one down, one to go (still)
too-fancy knitting purse/handbag - will sell to knitting friend when I see her on 7/3
tennis racket - listed

Steelers1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4905 on: June 27, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Recently cleaned out the basement... 2 large recycle bags, and 2 large garbage bags full of throw away, plus a stack of collapsed cardboard.

Was able to sell the following(first two items aren't a result of the basement clean out, but happened last week):
- Fitbit Blaze - $150
- Samsung Galaxy S5 - $75(below market as I took the easy way out and sold to a re-seller)
- Old fan w/ remote - $20

Few other things up for sale from the basement clean out.  Need to put together my old desk so I can take pics of it and sell it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4906 on: June 27, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
When I moved in, the previous owners left behind one of the shelving units that stands above the toilet. I didn't like it, didn't want it, and finally found the proper screwdriver to take it apart and throw it out on Saturday. Sunday, I went in the bathroom and realized that the smell of urine was mostly gone. Great. That's why the bottom of the legs were yellow.

Anyone know how to clean under pedestal sinks without moving them? I suspect that's why the other bathroom smells of urine.

Boys and men, please sit down to pee. I don't care if it isn't cool, I don't want these problems.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4907 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
The purging while settling in to our new home continues.

In the donate box:
12 clothing articles
a comforter
rarely used bath mat from our previous home
4 coffee mugs
a few knickknacks, including a Scentsy warmer and several fragrances (it was a gift, I would have never purchased such a thing)
tray from the toaster oven donated last year
a never used word search puzzle book from when I was down after surgery
6 pairs of shoes, including 2 pairs in their original box, and one pair never worn

Into the trash:
5 articles of clothing from the 80's.  Yes, folks, I wore spandex.  :P
3 chipped bowls and small plates.  My mom bought us a BBB gift card as a housewarming present, so I bought a new 16 piece serving set for 4.

Specific donations:
Glass flower vases to a flower shop owning friend

I'm taking 4 days off for the upcoming US holiday, so purging will continue.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:14:47 PM by MountainGal »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4908 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
When I moved in, the previous owners left behind one of the shelving units that stands above the toilet. I didn't like it, didn't want it, and finally found the proper screwdriver to take it apart and throw it out on Saturday. Sunday, I went in the bathroom and realized that the smell of urine was mostly gone. Great. That's why the bottom of the legs were yellow.

Anyone know how to clean under pedestal sinks without moving them? I suspect that's why the other bathroom smells of urine.

Boys and men, please sit down to pee. I don't care if it isn't cool, I don't want these problems.

+1.  A huge, huge thank you to my MIL, who back in the old days required all male family members (including DH) to sit and aim it down.  We have taught our DS as follows:    Public toilets -- ok to stand up.  At home -- you sit.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 01:25:53 PM by Trifele »

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4909 on: June 27, 2017, 07:24:10 PM »

+1.  A huge, huge thank you to my MIL, who back in the old days required all male family members (including DH) to sit and aim it down.  We have taught our DS as follows:    Public toilets -- ok to stand up.  At home -- you sit.

I've lived with a man for the last 19 years and the only times I've ever found urine outside the toilet were when we had contractors working. Apparently I am super lucky? I never even thought about it. (My dad moved out when I was a kid, and I only have sisters, so I didn't experience it then either.) Or is it usually younger boys who are the problem?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4910 on: June 28, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
I had some success using a spray bottle to send some soaking cleanser underneath. I couldn't reach a scrubbing tool under there, but the soak seemed to reduce or eliminate the smell.

A plumber said we can go one of two ways on the matter:

1. Put sealant around the base. But then the pee will likely discolour the sealant over time, compelling some people to want to replace it.

2. Put no sealant around, and clean more thoroughly. He felt this was the optimal way to go.

My kid sits to pee, but the pee comes out through the front of the seat, lol.

I will try flushing it out with a spray bottle. Maybe the stuff I use for cat urine will help.

Regardless, I'm still working on cleaning up the floor in that bathroom. There was half an ice cream sandwich shoved into the back of the sink at some point. It's a lot better, but there's some nooks and crannies still.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:20:12 AM by Sibley »

2microsNH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4911 on: June 28, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
Just recycled all my medical paperwork from a long-term illness I had three years ago. Lyme -- and Lyme paper trail -- be gone!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4912 on: June 28, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »
Sorted through previous tax returns last night and piled up about five years' worth to toss. I just need to figure out where I can shred them (I used to do my shredding at work but changed jobs last year).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4913 on: June 29, 2017, 06:23:28 AM »
Just recycled all my medical paperwork from a long-term illness I had three years ago. Lyme -- and Lyme paper trail -- be gone!

That's great news on both counts!

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4914 on: June 29, 2017, 07:50:42 AM »
I had some success using a spray bottle to send some soaking cleanser underneath. I couldn't reach a scrubbing tool under there, but the soak seemed to reduce or eliminate the smell.

I will try flushing it out with a spray bottle. Maybe the stuff I use for cat urine will help.

If anyone has specific recommendations on what to spray under there that will help with the smell, please let me know.  My concern is that some urine might have soaked into the wood underflooring.  I think the only thing to do in this case is replace the affected wood (what a pain!), or use some kind of enzymatic solution to break down the urine.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4915 on: June 29, 2017, 08:05:31 AM »
Speaking of difficult cleaning situations, I dumped a whole travel mug of milk-based hot chocolate onto the (non-removable) floor carpet of my car. I mopped it up immediately, and we have shampooed it. No dice, the smell of the spoiling milk is awful. My SIL always jokes about an old beater in which the spilt a pint of milk - in the end it was enough to condemn the vehicle and she had it scrapped!

This is not an option with my (company) vehicle. Any ideas? Could a super valet service help?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4916 on: June 29, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
I have Nature's Miracle that I use when the cats have an accident (or are mad at me). This is on tile, so the biggest issue is that the sink is in the way.

Now, anything under the toilets could get to subfloor. Hoping not, but I'm not moving the toilets right now anyway!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4917 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
Speaking of difficult cleaning situations, I dumped a whole travel mug of milk-based hot chocolate onto the (non-removable) floor carpet of my car. I mopped it up immediately, and we have shampooed it. No dice, the smell of the spoiling milk is awful. My SIL always jokes about an old beater in which the spilt a pint of milk - in the end it was enough to condemn the vehicle and she had it scrapped!

This is not an option with my (company) vehicle. Any ideas? Could a super valet service help?

I remember my mom putting kitty litter on the flooring when we spilled some milk once... but I don't remember if it helped! Haha. We kept that car a few more years though, so *something* worked.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #4918 on: June 29, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

I remember my mom putting kitty litter on the flooring when we spilled some milk once... but I don't remember if it helped! Haha. We kept that car a few more years though, so *something* worked.

When our son was little he dumped an entire cup of milk in the backseat of the car.  The smell was awful.  We cleaned it up the best we could (we found actual 'cheese' forming down in the seat -- crème fraiche haha)  and then we parked the car in the hot summer sun for weeks with all the windows up.  Baked the crap out of it.  Seems to have worked -- no detectable odor after that.  I guess the heat baked the 'cheese' remnants dry.   

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4919 on: June 29, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
The last time I visited the parental units I found a bunch of small toys in the back of my closet. Today I gave them to a co-worker for the granddaughter she's raising. The kid's parents said buh-bye, and she's a sweet little girl. Tomorrow is her birthday.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #4920 on: June 29, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
I've been minimalizing for over a year now. I've recently gotten to the point where there's hardly anything left, that I don't actually use. It's amazing how much stuff folks/you have, and how little you actually use/need. There's been several times over this past year that I thought that there would be no way to get rid of any more, only to scrounge yet another carload of items to go to goodwill.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4921 on: June 29, 2017, 09:35:23 PM »
The last time I visited the parental units I found a bunch of small toys in the back of my closet. Today I gave them to a co-worker for the granddaughter she's raising. The kid's parents said buh-bye, and she's a sweet little girl. Tomorrow is her birthday.

Your co-worker sounds awesome for stepping up. And you're a good person for helping give the little girl a special birthday.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4922 on: June 30, 2017, 05:14:21 AM »

When our son was little he dumped an entire cup of milk in the backseat of the car.  The smell was awful.  We cleaned it up the best we could (we found actual 'cheese' forming down in the seat -- crème fraiche haha)  and then we parked the car in the hot summer sun for weeks with all the windows up.  Baked the crap out of it.  Seems to have worked -- no detectable odor after that.  I guess the heat baked the 'cheese' remnants dry.

Thanks both! Husband and I were musing that it can't smell -forever- so 'baking' it out sounds like a good idea. He had another go last night with bicarb of soda, and the smell wasn't as bad today. The internet suggested vinegar, but we only had the brown fish n chips stuff, so I'll try to pick some white stuff up today.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4923 on: June 30, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »
We are in the last stages of liquidating our CD collection.  We had over 200 CDs.  There are about 50 left and, to date, we only recouped $129 for what we sold.  Crap.  Should've done it YEARS ago when they were still worth something.  I remember paying anywhere from $10-$20 per CD, plus tax of course, back in my more spendy days.

We also have a nice solid wood CD shelf that we built from scratch that we'll now have to sell.

In the meantime, we sold the following on kijiji:

- antique tea wagon:  $200 (paid $75 + elbow grease to restore, 20 years ago)
- old sofa bed:  $30
- broken Samsung flat screen TV:  $20
- two antique 3-drawer dressers:  $160 (paid $100 for the two)
- two gift cards worth $75:  sold for $60
- two beater bikes:  $60 and $45 respectively; paid $30 and $20 respectively
- three Nike golf wedges:  $20
- leaf blower:  $17
- bike light set:  $20
- pots and pans:  $17

We have other antiques to sell, but I am holding off because they are just not commanding the same price that they were about 20 years ago.  I figure (hope) the market for them will pick up in a few years.  In the meantime they don't take up much space.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4924 on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
Decluttering again this weekend.

So far I've piled up seven books and five DVDs to donate/give away.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4925 on: June 30, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
I have nothing for urine and spoiled milk in carpet smells, but...
If you ever have a musty or smoky book, stick a folded sheet of newspaper in every few pages, then place the book in a cardboard box filled with crumpled newspaper.  Seal it up for a few days.  Repeat if needed.  I have used this trick once, and it only took one shot to work.

I finally bought the little ADF scanner I wanted (used, of course) and got it working with Linux, so today I scanned and dumped all the gas and electric statements I have accumulated in my adult life.  It was a four-inch thick folder.  The project continues in the coming weeks with other paper statements!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4926 on: June 30, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
I have nothing for urine and spoiled milk in carpet smells, but...
If you ever have a musty or smoky book, stick a folded sheet of newspaper in every few pages, then place the book in a cardboard box filled with crumpled newspaper.  Seal it up for a few days.  Repeat if needed.  I have used this trick once, and it only took one shot to work.

I finally bought the little ADF scanner I wanted (used, of course) and got it working with Linux, so today I scanned and dumped all the gas and electric statements I have accumulated in my adult life.  It was a four-inch thick folder.  The project continues in the coming weeks with other paper statements!
Do you need all the gas and electric statements? What would they be useful for?
Tax purposes?

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4927 on: July 01, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »
I suppose another problem is the loads of guilt and grief I have about "disappointing" people (mostly my mother) if/when I throw/sell it all.

She can't be disappointed in you if she has passed away.

I've had to negotiate this issue with my mother, who had a load of heirlooms to which she was sentimentally attached but which she didn't want in her own house. Her solution was to offer them to me as if she was giving me something precious.

For years, I said no, no, no increasingly vehemently. If I had accepted these things and then got rid of them there would have been hell to pay in emotional blackmail, so I made it clear that my mother couldn't appease her ancestors by passing their now-useless artefacts on to the next generation. All credit to her, she bit the bullet and let a charity take away the treasures, throwing out the things they rejected as unsaleable because, objectively viewed, they were rubbish. If I'd accepted them I'd have been expected to cherish them and keep them for my own children.

In my own world of stuff, today I seized an opportunity to give away a piece of sports kit that I like but hadn't worn for many years to someone who will look better in it than I do. I still have too much sports kit, but the basket will be less overstuffed.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4928 on: July 01, 2017, 10:11:32 AM »

My kid sits to pee, but the pee comes out through the front of the seat, lol.

Teach him that his left hand is for aiming.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4929 on: July 01, 2017, 11:03:53 AM »

Teach him that his left hand is for aiming.

Oh! Okay :)    Thx, TomTX.
Though I think he may have sorted something like that out for himself, as it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. There was just a bumpy year or two in there, I think when he was getting used to his body. So I probably should have put it in past tense.

We've had discussion on other threads because grown men haven't figured out that they can use their hand to put their penis in the proper position while peeing.

Said men (not present here, just discussed here) were complaining about having their penis touch the toilet (seat/bowl) when they sat to pee. Because they hadn't figured out using their hand to aim.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4930 on: July 01, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »
Husband agreed to relinquish his broken Xbox 360.

It had sat in his parents' house for five years. Then they moved and he grabbed it with an idea of getting it fixed.

But he barely has time to play the Xbox One, so said I can toss the old one.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4931 on: July 01, 2017, 03:55:58 PM »
Sorted through a spindle of DVDs, piled up 17 to get rid of.

Making good progress this weekend!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4932 on: July 01, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »
Just listed two pairs of jeans on eBay.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4933 on: July 01, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »
*snip*
Tax purposes?

Nope.  I don't have a home office or rental property, so they are useless for tax purposes.  I am just a nerd and worry that I may be curious about my electricity usage back in 200X, and what if I don't have my old statements?  The spreadsheet only goes back to 201X when the I last switched dwellings.  So, need them?  No.  Save them because they are (computer-wise) small and easy to keep organized and may be interesting someday?  Sure.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4934 on: July 01, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »
Went through kids' outgrown clothes and filled two big tubs to send to collection that my church is doing for Syrian refugees. Also am sending my father's walker and cane, which have been sitting in the garage since he passed away. He was so proud and hopeful when he was able to walk with just a cane, but sadly he died only a month later. I hope they can help someone... it's pitiful that crutches, walkers, and wheelchairs are in such demand.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4935 on: July 01, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »
*snip*
Tax purposes?

Nope.  I don't have a home office or rental property, so they are useless for tax purposes.  I am just a nerd and worry that I may be curious about my electricity usage back in 200X, and what if I don't have my old statements?  The spreadsheet only goes back to 201X when the I last switched dwellings.  So, need them?  No.  Save them because they are (computer-wise) small and easy to keep organized and may be interesting someday?  Sure.

Wouldn't it be faster to just enter them in the spreadsheet rather than scan them, label the files, etc?

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4936 on: July 01, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
*snip*
Tax purposes?

Wouldn't it be faster to just enter them in the spreadsheet rather than scan them, label the files, etc?

Nope.  For the older ones, I just scanned a year at a time.  Stick all the 2011 bills in the scanner feed, hit Go, and do something else as they scan.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4937 on: July 02, 2017, 06:05:34 AM »
Gave away 4 wine glasses that I've been trying to get rid of for a while.  Prepped a bag of donations for Goodwill.  I just need to put them in the car and drop them off.

I'm debating whether I should donate or consign a bunch of clothes.  I have a consignment store I use regularly but I noticed that the store has gone down the hill recently.  Things take forever to sell and the money I get for it is not much - I stopped by Friday when I was running an errand in the area and got a check for $50.  At what point do you say that it's just not worth the effort and donate instead?

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4938 on: July 02, 2017, 09:13:29 AM »
Made another trip to The Goodwill with a large box of toys, another box with 50+ articles of clothing, and two old printers.

We're still enjoying the fruits of a kitchen we recently decluttered with counters bereft of any junk.  Just a small decorative 'inbox' tray where we set mail and miscellaneous items that accumulate throughout the day.  When the tray gets full we sort through it all and put everything in its proper place.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4939 on: July 02, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
Had a strong finish to my weekend of decluttering.

I did all the ironing, then ran out of hangers so that motivated me to go through my wardrobe again. I grabbed two pairs of pants that I'll never wear again and added them to the charity box.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4940 on: July 02, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »

Bleach is one of the only things to neutralize the ammonia in pee. I don't know if it will fix yours, but I would try mixing up a fresh spray bottle of diluted bleach solution and spray it up, around, under and anywhere you can thoroughly soak the pedestal sink. Hopefully lots will soak into the porous back of the porcelain and neutralize as much as possible. Good luck.

I was advised never to put marble tile in a bathroom for obvious reasons, as porous stone + ammonia soaking in is one of the worst combinations.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4941 on: July 02, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »
This year has been pretty good for continuing to clear out clutter. Haven't posted in this thread for a long time though.

I found a used copy of Marie Kondo's book and gave it to my mom however... which has me very excited. The emotional side of decluttering has always been hard, and I think it will actually be helpful. I didn't think she would be receptive when we saw the book together but she was interested.. so we will see.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4942 on: July 02, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
I made a drop off at the Salvation Army today.  Not a lot of stuff, but it feels nice to get it out of the house.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4943 on: July 03, 2017, 04:30:19 AM »
I'm debating whether I should donate or consign a bunch of clothes.  I have a consignment store I use regularly but I noticed that the store has gone down the hill recently.  Things take forever to sell and the money I get for it is not much - I stopped by Friday when I was running an errand in the area and got a check for $50.  At what point do you say that it's just not worth the effort and donate instead?

For me it's when the thought of dragging it to the consignment store puts me off doing anything with it. Then it goes to charity, as it's easier.

If there was anything worth much in there, I would have more motivation. So when I'm dragging my heels I know it's not a good haul, and the mental and physical space it takes up as I trip over it and debate when to take it is worth more than they money I would get for the items.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4944 on: July 03, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

For me it's when the thought of dragging it to the consignment store puts me off doing anything with it. Then it goes to charity, as it's easier.

If there was anything worth much in there, I would have more motivation. So when I'm dragging my heels I know it's not a good haul, and the mental and physical space it takes up as I trip over it and debate when to take it is worth more than they money I would get for the items.
I have a small batch of items prepped already so I will bring them in later this week.  And I have a few nice sweaters that I can bring in the fall.  After that, I'm done.  Anything else will just go to charity.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4945 on: July 03, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
I had another fairly productive weekend. I gave away some calligraphy supplies to someone on the buy nothing group, cleaned out more clothes (the never-ending battle in our house), organized/de-cluttered some shelves. I also enlisted my husband's help and we removed a bunch of stuff from the top shelves in the kitchen, using the argument of "if it's been sitting up here for 4.5 years, we don't need it".

I have VVA scheduled to pick up on 7/10, and I think I have 8-9 boxes/bags so far, with one more weekend to add to the pile.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #4946 on: July 03, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
Recently I've gotten rid of a few board games we never played thru Freecycle. Someone's coming to pick up a gag-gift craft kit we got at a White Elephant years ago. I'll be glad to have that out of the house.

Someone else is supposed to come buy an end table I've been trying to sell for months. I've had so many no-shows for this table - I think it might be cursed. Anyway, I don't have my hopes up.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4947 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »

Listed:
- Couch & love seat
- Manzanita branches
- Coffee table
- Small weed whacker
- TSX/Accord brake calipers, rotors, brake pads
- shoe racks (3)

To be listed:
- Queen bed set
- Dining Table
- Multiple plate sets
- Random OEM 06-11 Civic parts
- Random tools
- Clothes
- too much stuff...

SOLD:
- Car
- Supercharger kit
- Lawn mower
- Fertilizer spreader
- Low profile mechanic's creeper
- Civic shift assembly
- Deep fryer
- Old subwoofer
- Votive candle holders
- 17' Ladder
- Console Table
- Jug of antifreeze
- Civic wheels & tires
- Trumpet vases
- Lawn chairs

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4948 on: July 03, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
So much paper is leaving the house. Plus we have agreed that we will not keep utility bills after they have been set to be paid.

We found the document that says we have paid off the mortgage.  We have not yet found the paper that says we bought the house, or the one that says we are married.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4949 on: July 03, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »

Bleach is one of the only things to neutralize the ammonia in pee. I don't know if it will fix yours, but I would try mixing up a fresh spray bottle of diluted bleach solution and spray it up, around, under and anywhere you can thoroughly soak the pedestal sink. Hopefully lots will soak into the porous back of the porcelain and neutralize as much as possible. Good luck.

I was advised never to put marble tile in a bathroom for obvious reasons, as porous stone + ammonia soaking in is one of the worst combinations.

Mixing bleach and ammonia generates a rather nasty compound: Chloramine. If you do use this technique, PLEASE ventilate thoroughly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!