Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850061 times)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4500 on: February 28, 2017, 03:11:02 AM »
I also found a pretty big framed photo my wife got as a gift. The box is like 2'x3'. We were going to hang it but after looking at the photo subject, I'm not sure I want to bother hanging it. It's a decently composed photo, but I just don't think I want a photo of a bunch of cows grazing around a tree on our walls. I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to let me sell it.

If it's a nice frame another option would be to replace the image with something you actually like.

That is certainly an option. It would have to be a really big print though. We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

I should be rid of my 'Buick Parking Only' novelty sign today. A friend of mine gave that to me as a gag gift when I was still rolling in a LeSabre. It is another item that has been collecting dust in my basement for years. I have a coworker that wants to buy it. He can have it.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4501 on: February 28, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
I also found a pretty big framed photo my wife got as a gift. The box is like 2'x3'. We were going to hang it but after looking at the photo subject, I'm not sure I want to bother hanging it. It's a decently composed photo, but I just don't think I want a photo of a bunch of cows grazing around a tree on our walls. I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to let me sell it.

If it's a nice frame another option would be to replace the image with something you actually like.

That is certainly an option. It would have to be a really big print though.  *snip*

Well, there's always the big frame, small art option.  People will think you are a really avant-garde, minimalist decorator!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4502 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

We have one photo on display (not of us, not of people), a framed print sitting on a sideboard.

Nothing on the walls. It's only been six months since we moved, don't want to rush into it...

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4503 on: February 28, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »
We keep talking a big game about hanging pictures and we never do. Our house has no photos hanging. You'd probably think we were Amish by the austerity of our decor :D

We have one photo on display (not of us, not of people), a framed print sitting on a sideboard.

Nothing on the walls. It's only been six months since we moved, don't want to rush into it...

We've been in our house for a little over 9 years. We still haven't managed to make hanging photos happen. My wife has a couple of framed photos on a shelf, and that's about it.

I also finally got rid of my novelty 'Buick Parking Only' sign today :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:53:55 PM by mies »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4504 on: March 02, 2017, 05:00:01 AM »
Got rid of two ratty old tshirts which were holey and stretched out. There were also some of my only remaining 'about the house' t shirts. Oh well, I have plenty of fabric and plenty of time. I was lacking the motivation to make any so I decided to get rid of the worn out stuff first, and create the motivation that way.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4505 on: March 02, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
i listed two bookshelves i don't want anymore.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4506 on: March 02, 2017, 12:07:23 PM »
Results of work from 2016: did my parents taxes. They were able to deduct $5k of noncash contributions on their itemized deductions. This is all thrift shop values, remember, so that's a TON of stuff.

Still a ton of stuff that they don't use. Unfortunately, much of it mom won't part with.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4507 on: March 02, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
I ended up with about eight magazine racks from my old job.

I used them for a while then changed things around and don't use them.

So I'm going to bring them to work, where they will be put to use.

Now to actually bring them with me on the train...

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4508 on: March 02, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
As part of installing pantry lights today (One Odd Chore thread), cleared out 4 fixture boxes and 1 bulb box. Also got the go-ahead to get rid of the seltzer machine + 3-4 bottles. Down to one spare Costco box of kitchen trash bags, because I put the rest of the open box into the bottom of the trash can before inserting a new bag.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4509 on: March 03, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »

We've been in our house for a little over 9 years. We still haven't managed to make hanging photos happen. My wife has a couple of framed photos on a shelf, and that's about it.

You know, I'm really glad to hear that there are other people like this!  The only reason we have some framed photos is because they were given to us that way. In fact, if I look around, I see that 99.9% of the decorative items in my house were not purchased by me, but were gifts. No wonder why nothing matches!

Anyway, I just gave away a big bag of toddler clothing and toys. I'm especially proud of having given away some wooden puzzles to the children's department of the library. Now, since I also got rid of the big blanket, you can almost open the guest room closet without things falling out on you!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4510 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
I've been away in a furnished apartment with just a few of my personal items for the psat two months. Going home tomorrow and I'm interested to see how I feel about the existing level of stuff after two months of fairly minimalist living.  I'm thinking I'll find some things to declutter.

Right now, I'm in a more expensive mode of decluttering, because I've always been a bargain hunter, and have ended up with such a hodge-podge of possessions as a result.  Before leaving, I put some random, uncomfortable shoes in my donate box, and have ordered some new shoes in fairly basic styles.  I'm getting rid of my horses' random saddle pads and replacing them with several of the same white pad. I want to get rid of my socks and buy many of the same color and style.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4511 on: March 04, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
After 18 months of purging I finally had one regret yesterday. My cellar and garage were a stockpile of tools from 2 generations. At a yardsale last summer I apparently sold ALL of the hand drills b/c I had 2 battery powered modern ones - a small light one, and a heavy-duty one. Well, I needed a drill for a quick job and both batteries were out of juice and needed charging. Not a tragedy but I do wish I had kept one hand drill.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4512 on: March 06, 2017, 02:46:00 AM »
Tossed a few big small bags of clothes from between the three of us. Trying to update my wardrobe, but it's hard when nothing wears out.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4513 on: March 06, 2017, 04:48:32 AM »
I finally spent some change I had sitting on my bookshelf for the last 3 years. It was stuff the Coinstar machine wouldn't take like some super old pennies, an old dime, and a $.50 piece. I checked to see if they were worth anything more than their face value. Since they were in such poor shape, they were not. They are finally back in circulation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4514 on: March 06, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »
Got rid of two baby books people gave me (like the kind your record milestones, not the kind you read to baby- I'm trying to aquire those) and 2 barbies from the 90s.

The people who got them were thrilled to recieve them :)

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4515 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
I've been following along with this thread, and making some progress at home over the last few months. Recently I came across the "40 bags in 40 days" idea, and printed out the printable chart that accompanies it....wow!! turns out I'm a checklist junkie...and having to itemize 40 areas of the house to go through was difficult, but it makes you break down areas into more specific spots (eg...not just "kitchen" but "kitchen cabinets, kitchen drawers, etc" and really made me focus on clearing out each small area properly. I've only been doing it a few days and I've found 4 bags of items for donation, and 2 huge trash bags.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4516 on: March 06, 2017, 12:54:53 PM »

Yesterday I found a box in the closed were I saved all the greeting cards since I got married 13 yrs ago. I stopped this practice after my second child was born, thankfully. So, lots of paper to the recycling bin... and... I found 35$ cash and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

I found a few nice pictures and a birth certificate (ugh) moved those to my personal "keep" plastic bin in the basement.

I also found a nice cuisinart ice cream machine that I plan to ebay by next week, should net me 40-50$.

Progressing slowly and steady.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4517 on: March 06, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Sold DS's drum set on Craigslist for $150. That clears out most of the space for a demolition project in the home gym. Just a few minor items and the dining room table slated for my sister's house. Moved some snow tires, even though they are currently listed for sale.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4518 on: March 07, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »
I have a nice pile building by the front door for the charity pick up - 1/2 from the basement, 1/2 from the kids' rooms.  I'm determined to work through this stuff we don't need or want any more!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4519 on: March 07, 2017, 09:34:04 AM »

and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

You could call the person the check was from and see if they mind you cashing it.

I found an 12 year old check from my Uncle and called him to tell him I was going to tear it up, and he said "Oh- I think of you every time I balance my check register- see if the bank takes it."  They did; he finally got to mark it out of his check register, and I got $50 unexpectedly.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4520 on: March 07, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »

and two checks for 10$ each (once check from 2007 another from 2010). I was joking with husband that I was going to cash it and he said: "Don't do that! Remember what happened to Jerrys grandma". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0697756/

Oh darn it. I did tear them up right away! Should have called, they are close relatives/friends. It will make up for a nice conversation piece next time I see them.

You could call the person the check was from and see if they mind you cashing it.

I found an 12 year old check from my Uncle and called him to tell him I was going to tear it up, and he said "Oh- I think of you every time I balance my check register- see if the bank takes it."  They did; he finally got to mark it out of his check register, and I got $50 unexpectedly.

Walsh1122

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4521 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted before, but it may be of help to those looking to get rid of possessions they no longer use/need.

http://www.theminimalists.com/game/

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4522 on: March 08, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
I ended up with about eight magazine racks from my old job.

I used them for a while then changed things around and don't use them.

So I'm going to bring them to work, where they will be put to use.

Now to actually bring them with me on the train...

Ok, so far I've brought in four. That's progress.

I've also decluttered a couple of other items to work.

A colleague mentioned having to buy a cheap disposable item of which I have half a dozen, so I brought her in one.

And I brought in a pretty Kikki K notepad to keep in my desk. I'm forever writing notes to people to include with parcels so this way I'm using up some of the nice stuff instead of just plain paper. (People have gifted me a lifetime supply of beautiful stationery over the years, so I need to use it up any way I can.)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4523 on: March 08, 2017, 04:53:21 PM »
I got rid of these today - to a neighbor who just had a litttle girl after 3 boys. Win for me as my little girl is in middle school.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:54:58 PM by couponvan »

misshershey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4524 on: March 08, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
I'm *still* clearing out junk as I pack (closing could be next week!)--where does it all come from??? I have come to the conclusion that I have *WAAAAAYYYYY* too much stuff, and I know I have less than the average American does!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4525 on: March 09, 2017, 03:53:41 AM »
I'm *still* clearing out junk as I pack (closing could be next week!)--where does it all come from??? I have come to the conclusion that I have *WAAAAAYYYYY* too much stuff, and I know I have less than the average American does!

It's like once your eyes have been opened you can suddenly see how much 'stuff' is just 'junk'. Unfortunately I have found a side effect of this thread / decluttering is that I have become quite judgemental of other's spaces. I just look at people's countertops and have this overwhelming feeling of wanting to throw it all out.

Not my nicest characteristic. And also a great example of 'No zealot like a convert!'

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4526 on: March 09, 2017, 02:24:09 PM »
Last of the magazine racks to work today, plus I'm posting half a dozen make-up bags etc to a charity that collects products for women escaping domestic violence.

Donated four old pairs of glasses to charity through my optometrist. And sent a bottle of glasses cleaning solution to work with my husband.

This week's tally:
2 in
25 out

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4527 on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
Last of the magazine racks to work today, plus I'm posting half a dozen make-up bags etc to a charity that collects products for women escaping domestic violence.

Donated four old pairs of glasses to charity through my optometrist. And sent a bottle of glasses cleaning solution to work with my husband.

This week's tally:
2 in
25 out

Nice!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4528 on: March 09, 2017, 06:08:08 PM »
Divested myself of a carpet cleaner today.  Delivered several items to church consignment sale.  Basement now looks like to much stuff, but not hoarders level.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #4529 on: March 10, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Moved more items out of the gym expansion area. Getting close, but still need the dining table out of there before I can demo.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #4530 on: March 10, 2017, 10:29:08 PM »
Looking forward to starting the packing process this weekend as we prepare to move at the beginning of April.  As we pack it will be good to get rid of anything we don't currently use and  things we won't need in the new house.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4531 on: March 11, 2017, 01:40:33 AM »
Got some books, games, clothes and yarn out the house after a long time. Feels so freeing. That makes me want to tackle some more mess that's in the closet over the weekend.

misshershey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4532 on: March 12, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
Sewing room is now PACKED! I cleared out at least 3 boxes of Xmas stuff (mostly stuffed penguins, let's be honest), an old stereo that I had forgotten about, a foot spa, patterns, quilt books, & more. I've now eliminated 1346 lbs of clutter!

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4533 on: March 12, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »
A broke friend was hosting a 'gold buy', and I didn't think I had anything to bring but finally found a very old and very small (child size?) 10K bracelet, and a silver necklace. Both are now gone and I'm $11 richer.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4534 on: March 12, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »
Yesterday I threw out a folder, and added the contents to another folder. (Next step is going through all the paperwork again.)

I'm visiting my parents this weekend so I'll take a few things I've been collecting (at their request), two pillows for my room there since I'm just not using them here, fabric for my mum, and a few other bits and pieces.

Working on getting my husband to take a big canvas print to work.

I've gotten rid of a lot so there are now gaps, an empty shelf here, an empty drawer there. Now I'm trying to store like with like. I had linen stored in the linen cupboard and the spare room, gym gear stashed in the linen cupboard and my wardrobe.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #4535 on: March 13, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »

This weekend was much better than the last one. I took all my 7yr old girl clothes out of drawers and checked every one for size and conditions. A big bag for donation and some to recycle. I also moved a couple things around and everything looks much better. She helped all the way and even folded her shirts back.

I cleaned a small closet, and found lots to dispose of. The closed is nice now. Still have another big one to go, maybe next weekend.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4536 on: March 13, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »
Ughhh. Fighting a tide of stuff coming in. ILs are moving forward with moving, which means more of DH's random stuff from childhood coming into the house.

Luckily, I talked them into adding the FOUR FOOT TALL Obama painting to the garage sale instead of having us take it. They bought it for DH... which is weird, since DH really isn't that politically active. I mean, sure Obama's great and all, but uh... a 4' tall painting?

Now I need to figure out what to do with old yearbooks, caps and gowns, a saxaphone, etc.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4537 on: March 13, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
I had food poisoning last week so I fell behind a few days. My old childhood Legos are finally starting to sell, so I got a few bucks back out of those and got them out of my house.

We also finally received our new shelving units. I unloaded our beat up old book case and put the stuff I wanted in the new shelving unit. I found a few more books I was willing to part with and added them to the donate pile. I put the old book case up for sale too.

I also finally got a bite an old DVD player I have been trying to sell for the last month. That should be gone tomorrow.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #4538 on: March 13, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
I've been so busy with my work licensing but, am officially done now. I started gathering more donations for goodwill in my fireplace area, have a giant bag of clothes ready to go and a ton of food.

My fiance got a new job so he tried on all his clothes in February and donated a lot if them. I redid our closets and culled my wardrobe that was scattered between two closets and a plastic bin under the spare bed.

Unfortunately there is only one church that accepts food semi nearby.
What do you do if there are no food banks nearby?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4539 on: March 13, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »
I've been so busy with my work licensing but, am officially done now. I started gathering more donations for goodwill in my fireplace area, have a giant bag of clothes ready to go and a ton of food.

My fiance got a new job so he tried on all his clothes in February and donated a lot if them. I redid our closets and culled my wardrobe that was scattered between two closets and a plastic bin under the spare bed.

Unfortunately there is only one church that accepts food semi nearby.

With no food banks, you probably don't have Buy Nothing Project either, but if you do, that's an option. I've gifted food to neighbors before.

jordanread

« Reply #4540 on: March 13, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »

Block party potluck?

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #4541 on: March 13, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »
BJ- I actually joined my local BNG and its pretty much inactive. Mrs. frugalwoods posts make me want to live in a more sharing community. I might try the local Facebook  yardsale since it's basically 2 large reusable bags worth of food and unopened 10# bag of rice. I haven't had much luck on the yard sale page but- free food is nice, right?

Jordan I moved and only know a few neighbors. Block party is not really a thing in my neck of the woods. :) that is a very wonderful thought though.

Thanks for the ideas!

jordanread

« Reply #4542 on: March 13, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
BJ- I actually joined my local BNG and its pretty much inactive. Mrs. frugalwoods posts make me want to live in a more sharing community. I might try the local Facebook  yardsale since it's basically 2 large reusable bags worth of food and unopened 10# bag of rice. I haven't had much luck on the yard sale page but- free food is nice, right?

Jordan I moved and only know a few neighbors. Block party is not really a thing in my neck of the woods. :) that is a very wonderful thought though.

Thanks for the ideas!

I can't think of a better way of meeting them. :)

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4543 on: March 13, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
I just cleaned up under our kitchen sink. There were a couple of decade old cleaning products: A rusty can of oven cleaner, a bottle of carpet cleaner from when we were renting, and a bottle of Lysol spray that had evaporated to the point the liquid had turned to a gel :P

I also found a bag of potting soil under there. That's in the garage now with the rest of my bags of dirt :D

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4544 on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
I finally sold an old DVD player today. I think I will be able to sell an old bicycle tomorrow. If the frame isn't too big for him, that will be on less thing taking up space in the basement :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4545 on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »
Sold my bed frame last night! For $200, and I only paid $100. Sweet deal. :) Glad to have that out of my house.

LittleTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4546 on: March 14, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »
I'll join in.
Took 5 big bags of stuff to Salvation Army this weekend and have 2 big boxes full of old business postcards by the front door for recycling day. I also did a post for some lumber that I don't want to store on our local Buy Nothing Group. It feels so good to see more of my basement floor. I really hope to clear out more stuff this year. Stuff just keeps accumulating even though we've purchased very little in the past 2 years. I'd really like to clear out some old metal filing cabinets and get rid of them too! Just need the energy and the motivation!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4547 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »
Tossed a bunch of old letters, some travel memorabilia from years ago, and a broken ramekin.

And I returned two of the four new bras I bought. I don't even know why I bought four new ones. I only have two boobs.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4548 on: March 15, 2017, 02:44:55 PM »
I packed up a bunch of clothes in bags in my trunk, and I will drop them off soon.

I'm giving away a bag of random knickknacks on my Buy Nothing Group.   

I have not kept up with clearing out the clutter.  I need to go through my clothes again, but I also need to go through all of our miscellaneous stuff.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4549 on: March 15, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »
Got rid of 4 glass toiletries bottles. Tiny, but gone from the house!