Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850113 times)

sobezen

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #450 on: May 23, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
Recently moved so sold the bedframe, mattress, boxspring, dresser, desk, sofa, dining table, bookcases, carpets and lamps.  Working on reducing some clothes that have outlived me (suits in particular).  Also discovered some of the childhood items command a nice premium, so it is time for them to find new homes.  Oh, finally pulling the trigger and selling the electronics (dvds and phones) and books (oh boy, really amassed a good collection) too.  Once these are gone anywhere I live will become a spacious castle!  Yippie!  Minimalism certainly has its benefits.  :)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #451 on: May 24, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
Welcome, sobezen, and well done!

Also, I finally got rid of that fridge. It didn't take long, but it was frustrating because of the typical fickle, lazy, unreliable Gumtree sorts. I set a time and day with someone and they didn't show up and didn't even text me to tell me. I've had similar happen before as well. So discourteous.

But, now I have gotten rid of the fridge with someone who is a man of his word, he's a nice bloke, he arrived on time, he refurbishes fridges and washing machines for a living which I think is an admirable job because it reduces waste in the community, so...

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA PEEPS:

If you just want to get rid of any fridges, washing machines or scrap metal and don't care about getting money in return, you can have this guy come and get it and you won't have to pay him to remove it for you either. PM me if you would like his number.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #452 on: May 25, 2014, 12:47:39 AM »
Well done lime and pepper!

I've been steadily working through craft projects so I can have a nice clear craft room. Got 1 crocheted rug finished! I did start a new one as a gift for a friend who's having a baby soon, but that is coming along quickly and has a clear end date (the baby shower).

Cleaned out the bathroom today, we've been steadily working through our excess stuff and I've been keeping a close eye on what we actually use so we don't buy stuff that will just sit around. It's so much easier to clean with less clutter!

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: May 25, 2014, 04:02:26 AM »
Cleaned out the bathroom today, we've been steadily working through our excess stuff and I've been keeping a close eye on what we actually use so we don't buy stuff that will just sit around. It's so much easier to clean with less clutter!

Good job, I'm hoping to reach that stage. Right now my bedroom looks like it has been hit by a tornado. I'm just telling myself that things have to get worse before they get better, it's always darkest before dawn, etc.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #454 on: May 25, 2014, 02:21:16 PM »

Good job, I'm hoping to reach that stage. Right now my bedroom looks like it has been hit by a tornado. I'm just telling myself that things have to get worse before they get better, it's always darkest before dawn, etc.
It often takes me several times through to really clean excess clutter out.  I take solace from having even one drawer, or table top or closet shelf that I have cleaned off and can look at as the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #455 on: May 26, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
Put it at the end of your driveway (if you live someplace that people drive past of course) with a sign on it that says $20.  It will disappear :-)

Haha, and will there be a $20 note in its place or not?
Lol, no, that's the point!  If you put a sign that says free people think it is broken and won't take it, but if you put a price on it then they will just take it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #456 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:12 AM »
We're moving in 20 days and have just made the decision to seriously cull our belongings. There are five of us. If the stuff doesn't fit in the minivan, small pick-up, or rental trailer, it's not coming. Looking forward to a clean and streamlined new house.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #457 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:02 AM »
We took about 5 small bags to Goodwill over the weekend - odds and ends and things that haven't been touched, plus a few clothing items that had been in the "Donate" pile for far too long.  A few less things to look at!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: June 02, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
I posted in here once, quite a while ago, about my desire to clear out stuff, both for the mental freedom and because we'll be moving soon, most likely to a smaller place.  (We're currently in about 880 sq ft, plus some garage space.)  And then I didn't do anything.  Over the weekend, however, I FINALLY got off my butt.  For some reason, was really just feeling like this had to get started.
The first thing is that my husband and I were talking about my desk.  I said that if we move to a smaller place, we could get rid of that and I could make do with something else for my computer.  He said, "If we move, that desk probably won't live through transport."  He's right.  So I went through the drawers which are falling apart and which I've just stuck "important" papers into without ever looking at them again, mostly because the drawers are falling apart and difficult/chancy to open.  I consolidated all of our "important" stuff into two small file folders: one has all the actual documents we need, like passports, social security cards, tax files, car stuff, medical info, etc.  The other has all of our manuals and warranties for things.  That's it!  I tend not to keep many papers anyway, but still got a nice big box full of recycling and biked about 2/3 of a ream of paper to work today to be shredded.  :)  Now we just need to get to work on making sure the few things that don't come through email start to, so that we can reduce paper even more.
I found 2 old (broken) cell phones and two old (broken) cameras which I left in the desk out of lethargy, because there's no good e-recycling around here so I didn't know what to do with them.  But we're visiting my family in Seattle this summer so I've got them sitting on my desk to remind me to take them down there for recycling.
I looked through my book collection with an eye toward what I actually value.  As in, if (when) we move out of state (probably next year), which of these would I actually think are worth taking?  I didn't get rid of too many, but some is better than none.  The silly part: I sold them to our local bookstore and the credit I got can be used half cash/half credit on any used books.  So I'll end up buying some more books, but I'm going to get some more children's books to read to my daughter.  I'm on a mission to find at least one book which has a dad who's not a completely incompetent ass (harder than you'd believe).
My projects for this week: Clean that skirt I wanted to sell to the consignment shop (it has one small spot on it that just needs to be sponged off) and put it in a pile with the pants that fit, but which I never wear because they look weird on me.  I need to remind myself that if I haven't worn them often in the 4 years I've had them (or more?) I won't start wearing them now.  I already got my husband to go through his "nice" pants and figure out which is the pair that actually fits.  The other two are going to Value Village, most likely along with a few kitchen items.
Finally, there's a winter clothing drive box in my building at work.  I've been hanging onto a coat for years as my "spare" winter coat.  Then I realized, I have plenty of spare winter coats.  We'll be fine.  So that one is getting donated.  (I went through hats/gloves/scarves last winter, so I know those are fine.)

For those of you getting rid of CDs/DVDs or just the cases, don't forget your local libraries!  I believe donations are tax deductible, and they really will take just the cases since so many of theirs get damaged so frequently.  Also, anywhere that has an archives section (like an academic library) would probably love empty CDs and cases.

Angie55

« Reply #459 on: June 02, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
Any advice in getting rid of burned DVD's and CD's? We have hundreds and I do not want to buy anything to shred them. Also, I need a way to destroy them in bulk not individually.  I don't want any legality issues of throwing them directly in the trash due to their content.

eldred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2014, 01:46:11 PM »
Recently moved so sold the bedframe, mattress, boxspring, dresser, desk, sofa, dining table, bookcases, carpets and lamps.  Working on reducing some clothes that have outlived me (suits in particular).  Also discovered some of the childhood items command a nice premium, so it is time for them to find new homes.  Oh, finally pulling the trigger and selling the electronics (dvds and phones) and books (oh boy, really amassed a good collection) too.  Once these are gone anywhere I live will become a spacious castle!  Yippie!  Minimalism certainly has its benefits.  :)

How are you getting rid of your stuff?  I have books, DVDs and CDs I'm trying to sell.  I've used Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, Half.com, and Ecrater.  Nobody is buying, even at $1 per book, $1-2 for CDs and $2-5 for DVDs...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: June 02, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »

How are you getting rid of your stuff?  I have books, DVDs and CDs I'm trying to sell.  I've used Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, Half.com, and Ecrater.  Nobody is buying, even at $1 per book, $1-2 for CDs and $2-5 for DVDs...

I recently packed up a bunch of CDs and sent them to Abundatrade.  Free shipping.

I sent some to Zumu also (Zumu promised me more than Abundatrade for a few of them), but my package (with a shipping label supplied by them!) supposedly got lost.  And their customer service basically just refused to answer my questions.  So I would steer clear of Zumu.

But I had a good experience with Abundatrade.

As for burned CDs and DVDs, I have no ideas for you, Angie55.  :(

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #462 on: June 02, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
Any advice in getting rid of burned DVD's and CD's? We have hundreds and I do not want to buy anything to shred them. Also, I need a way to destroy them in bulk not individually.  I don't want any legality issues of throwing them directly in the trash due to their content.
Can you just break them in half, then toss them?  Or scratch up the backs?  I've also heard that a few seconds in the microwave totally destroys cd's, but that sounds potentially dangerous.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
Can you just break them in half, then toss them?  Or scratch up the backs?  I've also heard that a few seconds in the microwave totally destroys cd's, but that sounds potentially dangerous.

I wouldn't do hundreds of them in a microwave.  Unless it isn't your microwave and no one will know it was you.

You could just break them with a hammer, I have done that.  A lot easier than scratching them up.

dweebyhawkeyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #464 on: June 02, 2014, 11:24:51 PM »

I wouldn't do hundreds of them in a microwave.  Unless it isn't your microwave and no one will know it was you.

You could just break them with a hammer, I have done that.  A lot easier than scratching them up.
Invite your friends over to smash stuff!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #465 on: June 07, 2014, 12:48:41 AM »
My fiance and I are both preparing for his post-marriage move overseas to be with me in Korea. He has to sort through his things, purge, store keepsakes and other miscellaneous items, and pack up his life in limited luggage. I have to purge because it will make me feel better about accumulating another person and his belongings (although we will be moving to a larger "couples" apartment--university housing), and it's always nice to do a purge!

So we agreed upon this challenge: get rid of one item per day until I leave for California on July 31. We chose a nice even number of 55, and I set up a Google doc for us to keep each other accountable.

The rules: one thing per day must be dealt with (sold, given away, donated, recycled, trashed). We must stay on track or ahead. If we do more than one thing a day, we'll just put it on the next day. Finished when we're at 7/31.

So far I've cleaned out 1.5 drawers completely! Most of this involves moving books, papers, folders, etc. to my office on campus rather than storing them here, but hey--gone's gone.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #466 on: June 07, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
Yard sale done! Our living room was packed full of stuff, piled high. We sold most of it and delivered the rest to Goodwill. We also sold our old pick-up truck and lawn tractor. Thank god that's over.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #467 on: June 08, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
I was lying in bed last night tossing and turning and thinking about the things I had just purged that day (mostly costume jewelery) when I realized I have way too many towels, many of which are old and I don't use. I also have a bag (paper, plastic and cloth) hoarding problem. So this morning I got rid of tons of bags and put aside 3 or 4 towels for Goodwill (have to see if they take them). I love purging!

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »
I was lying in bed last night tossing and turning and thinking about the things I had just purged that day (mostly costume jewelery) when I realized I have way too many towels, many of which are old and I don't use. I also have a bag (paper, plastic and cloth) hoarding problem. So this morning I got rid of tons of bags and put aside 3 or 4 towels for Goodwill (have to see if they take them). I love purging!
Our local animal shelter is always looking for towels or other linens and bedding items.  That might be a good place to offer them (they are not picky about condition.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #469 on: June 09, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »
Ditto the animal shelter or animal rescues.  They'd love to have old towels/blankets.

I need to get back at this.  I have two saddles that need to be sold, and probably a few other things worthy of ebaying.  Came across my computer from grad school this weekend and really need to just destroy the harddrive and get rid of the thing.  The paper clutter is starting to build again, and I need to think about pruning a few books and magazines.

Got rid of a ton of stuff and Christmas and haven't given it a second though since them, so there's got to be more around here that can go without being missed.  Ought to have the time to tackle it soon, now that the intensive garden work season is drawing to to a close.  Need to broach the subject of the motorcycle helmet and saddlebags for the bike DH no longer owns, or they'll be here forever.  Towards my end, I think I'll Ebay the antique Singer Featherweight I've been carting around for the past 20 years.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #470 on: June 15, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
Our local animal shelter is always looking for towels or other linens and bedding items.  That might be a good place to offer them (they are not picky about condition.)

Thanks, Dr.Viebrissae! That is a great idea.

Yesterday I cleaned out the pantry and took items that I don't eat regularly to a family party where different members were happy to receive my panko breadcrumbs, Quaker Oats, jasmine rice, etc.  I really should get rid of all of my baking supplies. I haven't baked in more than two years. Think those items are up next for disposal.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: June 15, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
I have a small fridge, the freezer seems to work fine but the fridge is a bit inconclusive. Reckon there's any chance of getting money from it? I'm thinking there may be handy people who won't mind getting it for a super cheap price and fixing it up, but then again they might just only want to pick up the ones that are completely free.
Put it at the end of your driveway (if you live someplace that people drive past of course) with a sign on it that says $20.  It will disappear :-)

My mother does this quite often in the summer but with a free sign.  It's amazing that people will stop and haul away our junk for free.  Way better than us having to drag it to the dump.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #472 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Now that school is out for the summer I've had some time to clean out.  I made $160 this week selling some old crafting supplies on ebay.  A little money in my pocket and some clean space in my craft room.  I'd say that's a double win for me.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #473 on: July 04, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
The big move is at the end of this month, so I'm truly getting rid of stuff in earnest now.

Today, sold a microwave to a nice Taiwanese guy for $15, got to have a friendly conversation in Mandarin too, which is awesome as I don't have many people to speak to in languages other than English.

Tomorrow, someone is coming over to pick up my kick scooter for $100. It's a fabulous scooter that is so well-designed and so much fun to ride, and I'm sad to see it go, but at this stage it doesn't really make sense to take it with me interstate.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
I inherited 5 big boxes of my dad's genealogy research (he was not much of a computer user, so it's all on paper and index cards). This was about 25 years of research. I am trying to scan about 1 box a week so I can get rid of the paper and keep everything in pdf's. The trickiest part is figuring out how to organize it on the computer. There is a LOT of correspondence between him and other genealogy hobbyists, and the letters are about several families, so I will have to file some letters in multiple folders.

Also I have an IKEA Poang chair and an IKEA rolling file cabinet I want to post on Craigslist. July is a great time to sell used furniture in Houston because so many new med students, residents, and fellows are starting training at the Texas Medical Center at the same time.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: July 05, 2014, 06:52:40 PM »
Tomorrow, someone is coming over to pick up my kick scooter for $100.

This happened yesterday.

And an hour ago, someone came to pick up an oscillating pedestal fan for $5.

TV stand, bedside table and lamp haven't received any promising responses yet. Might have to re-post.

Also should start selling off the really big items soon.

I would kind of like to keep the fridge and washing machine for at least another couple of weeks though as I'm still using them. I wonder how quickly I could get rid of them? Ideally I'd offload it during the last week if they're popular items that are easy to sell.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #476 on: July 05, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »
Good work everyone!!

I decluttered A LOT when I moved earlier this year, but I am starting to get the urge to purge again. Planning to take a look some time this week and see where I can start to weed. I have some rather embarrassing luxury clothing items (they were gifts!!) that I just never wear, but have felt bad about selling them because they were gifts and SO EXPENSIVE. I need to be realistic about my lifestyle go and think about saying goodbye to these things.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #477 on: July 06, 2014, 06:03:31 AM »
I have some rather embarrassing luxury clothing items (they were gifts!!) that I just never wear, but have felt bad about selling them because they were gifts and SO EXPENSIVE. I need to be realistic about my lifestyle go and think about saying goodbye to these things.

I know what you mean. I have clothing that I hold on to, though mine are not necessarily expensive, but I rarely wear them and the main reason I keep them is for sentimental value. Sigh. At least there aren't too many of those items. Maybe I should just wear them more often, that way I don't feel bad. ;)

TV stand, bedside table and lamp haven't received any promising responses yet. Might have to re-post.

Very happy because I did end up selling off the bedside table and lamp today, after all; and the lady who picked it up decided she'd like the shoe rack as well, so she took that too.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
Sold an office chair and a couch this evening, after putting up leaflets in my apartment block. I was surprised by how quickly people responded. I think I actually sold the couch too cheaply and I'm kicking myself a bit for that, but still, it's a relief to get it out of the way, and it was so hassle-free because it went to my neighbour across the hallway so we didn't even have to lug it up or down any stairs!

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
I've finished the big donation runs but find a couple things about every other day or so to add to another slowly-growing donation pile.  I am definitely one who feels tied down by stuff and I am finding it so freeing to be offloading, even though we have plenty of space for things.

Does anyone have any advice for stopping inlaws from getting us junk?  I know I should probably just have a frank talk with them, but my mother in law LOVES shopping at craft shows and will be so disappointed when we tell her we don't want that crap anymore....

Doomspark

« Reply #480 on: July 10, 2014, 08:43:58 AM »
I'm trying to downsize / reorganize a little.

I'm going through our bookshelves and collecting books we don't want any more.  They're all being moved to one shelf.  When it gets full, I'll take the books down to the local library and donate them.

One major undertaking is going to be the computer room.  I have 4 non-functioning laptops and 6 non-functional desktop PCs that I need to either repair or dispose of.  I'm thinking of hauling them down to the local mom & pop computer store and seeing how much store credit I can get for them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #481 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
I've finished the big donation runs but find a couple things about every other day or so to add to another slowly-growing donation pile.  I am definitely one who feels tied down by stuff and I am finding it so freeing to be offloading, even though we have plenty of space for things.

Does anyone have any advice for stopping inlaws from getting us junk?  I know I should probably just have a frank talk with them, but my mother in law LOVES shopping at craft shows and will be so disappointed when we tell her we don't want that crap anymore....

Let your husband talk to them after he's had a few adult beverages and tell them not to give any more useless crap?  This is what my husband did with my aunt who loves giving horrid gifts.  On one bookshelf we have the one-of-a-kind custom art piece that we refer to as the "pubic hair horse".  I don't know if she thought he was joking when he said that, but the gifting has definitely tapered.  Seriously, it probably depends on the personalities and emotions involved, but maybe you could phrase it as: "we're really trying to go for a minimalistic household to streamline our lifestyle" or something like that.

This weekend I'm planning to get back to work on selling a couple saddles and other horse gear.  I also think I'm going to list my great aunt's Singer Featherweight for sale, and just see if I can do a general purge of some odds and ends.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #482 on: July 11, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »
Just dropped a bag and a half of clothing off at a thrift shop. Woohoo!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #483 on: July 12, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
I sold an IKEA Poang chair for $50 and a small file cabinet for $20 on Craigslist this week. Also I scanned about 1/4 of a box of genealogy research I inherited from my dad. I am taking some old paint to the hazardous waste recycle today and a bag of junky kids toys to Goodwill.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: July 12, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »
Wow--great work, BZB!

palebluedot

• Stubble
« Reply #485 on: July 12, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »

You can send them to this recycling center: http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.com/

boognish

• Stubble
« Reply #486 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
I just moved into a 276 sq ft studio and am being forced to declutter. I'm finally letting go of crap I've been dragging around for years, feels good

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #487 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
Keep it going, folks... don't give up!

This week we got rid of an armchair (that we had rescued from a trash pile, so back in it goes). Also cleaned out our kid's bookshelf and got rid of 2 big boxes of books (going to a friend with little kids). Eliminated a dresser from the 3 girls' room, used that as an entertainment center and was able to eliminate our DVD shelf and 2 buckets of game controllers by repurposing the existing one. Also got rid of a small table we used to hold our printer.

On the down side, I did get a new writing desk, but it has hidden compartments, so I can store all my little computer-y things in it without them being out in the open. It's also the smallest writing desk I could find.

Son's room had two shelves of toys, we eliminated those and had him thin his stash of big toys that he's mostly outgrown. They will be going to another family.

So, progress! Was a busy week.

We're currently looking at replacing our kitchen cabinets... probably will do away with the dishwasher, since it doesn't work well and just takes up space. More cabinet space, and we can eliminate the 2 ugly pantry cabinets we're using.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: July 15, 2014, 09:15:58 AM »
Keep it going, folks... don't give up!

This week we got rid of an armchair (that we had rescued from a trash pile, so back in it goes). Also cleaned out our kid's bookshelf and got rid of 2 big boxes of books (going to a friend with little kids). Eliminated a dresser from the 3 girls' room, used that as an entertainment center and was able to eliminate our DVD shelf and 2 buckets of game controllers by repurposing the existing one. Also got rid of a small table we used to hold our printer.

On the down side, I did get a new writing desk, but it has hidden compartments, so I can store all my little computer-y things in it without them being out in the open. It's also the smallest writing desk I could find.

Son's room had two shelves of toys, we eliminated those and had him thin his stash of big toys that he's mostly outgrown. They will be going to another family.

So, progress! Was a busy week.

We're currently looking at replacing our kitchen cabinets... probably will do away with the dishwasher, since it doesn't work well and just takes up space. More cabinet space, and we can eliminate the 2 ugly pantry cabinets we're using.
Wow!  I was just about to brag about getting rid of a box of clothing items, but I've been outdone.  Bravo! 

When we moved from a two bedroom to a one bedroom apartment, we got rid of a lot of stuff.  Unfortunately it wasn't enough.  We still have stuff overflowing and need to purge.  I'm going to attack our storage unit again (last trip was productive, but didn't dent the massive amount of stuff we have).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #489 on: July 15, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
Should probably join the thread, better late then never, right?

We bought our first house just over a year ago, now it looks like through some very unforeseen circumstances we could be facing another big move  to a new city. Not sure what the housing situation will look like for the next couple of years. We have collected an amazingly large amount of crap.

Much of it isn't ours, I believe I have at least half the supplies of our local art centre stored in my house so I'm tackling this first.  I have removed three large boxes so far.

We also were given a warning that we might have to evacuate due to several forest fires close to town so that definitely caused us to view everything in a new light (and has actually made it much easier to face getting rid of things) I went through several boxes of papers and got rid of a lot of them, added a couple of boxes of books to our sell/donate pile.

Right now I'm going through everything asking myself a couple of questions:
1. Do I want to move this item?
2. If I had to leave in the middle of the night, would I take this with me?
3. Is it replaceable? Would I run right out and buy it again if my house burned down?

The answer to the majority of stuff is "no" but sometimes the answers have surprised me.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #490 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
I spent last night heavily weeding and reorganizing our file cabinet!! That job had been looming for ages, and it felt great to tick it off. It was a big job- our files were a complete disaster. I also hung up some pictures that were blocking easy access to the file cabinet, so now we can have a pleasant experience whenever we need to retrieve something or file something away!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #491 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »
I spent last night heavily weeding and reorganizing our file cabinet!! That job had been looming for ages, and it felt great to tick it off. It was a big job- our files were a complete disaster. I also hung up some pictures that were blocking easy access to the file cabinet, so now we can have a pleasant experience whenever we need to retrieve something or file something away!

I think that of all things, organizing the files has been the most satisfying to me.  Going from 3 desk drawers stuffed with crap that I didn't want to deal with/didn't know what to do with down to 2 neatly organized file folders was blissful.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: July 21, 2014, 11:50:15 PM »
I must be the slowest declutterer ever, but I'm still at it sporadically bit by bit. Since we don't buy much other than food, groceries and key essentials, I must be making progress. Probably averaging 50 items a month - most of those are quite small. Went through my shoes to throw out any old ones and realised they were all old since I'm on a no buy clothes challenge and haven't bought shoes for over 2 years maybe even longer. Disposed of 1 pair.  Have a watch on two more pairs  of summer sandals which are in great condition because I don't wear them. If not worn next summer, they go!

Chucked out a shelf of Xmas lights, left over from DS's lighting phase. Not used in years and most didn't work when I checked so no loss.

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
« Reply #493 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
Bought our first house back in January and still have tonnes of boxes stashed away which havnt been opened since. Im of the opinion that if it hasnt been needed in the past 6 months, its unlikely to be needed much at all so better to get rid of most of it!

Will get some photos to track the de-cluttering journey for you all :)

Mike2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Puma Plow Productions
« Reply #494 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »
My kitchen needs a serious decluttering.  I can't find my kitchen table, the pantry is full of stuff I don't eat anymore since I changed to eating a lot healthier, and a couple cabinets are just full of unused junk.  The kitchen has been bothering me more and more so I think I start on it this week.  It is going to be quite a project.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: July 22, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »
I have been on a roll!  At least ten carloads gone and I have someone coming with a trailer to pick up even more.

A few things that are small and valuable I am going to keep until I have time to sell them on specialty websites.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: July 22, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
I've had a hankering to clean out the backs of shelves and odds and ends that stick around for one reason or another.  I'll probably scrape together a box of items and sell a few more.

I like to have lots of "breathing room" in shelves and any storage locations ;-)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #497 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:57 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations on how to digitize physical photo books? My mom mailed me THREE APPLE BOXES of photo albums! O.o

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #498 on: July 22, 2014, 10:16:14 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations on how to digitize physical photo books? My mom mailed me THREE APPLE BOXES of photo albums! O.o
If they're photographs within albums, you should be able to take it to office works or your local equivalent and pay for them to scan the lot for you.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #499 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15:24 AM »

I've heard good reviews of Shutterfly - prints them in a book format with whatever layout you want.  You'd still have to digitize the actual photos . . . .  or at least the ones you want to keep.  Emphasis on the "the ones you want to keep".  Just because your mom gave them to you doesn't automatically mean they still have meaning and you have to tote them around.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!