Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850146 times)

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4250 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Decluttering could be considered my new addiction...I've been at it for a long time, but it's always a work in progress. Before Christmas I posted a bunch of items on Facebook buy and sell groups, and did well. Donated some older toys, so that Santa had room to bring a few new ones. Over the holidays I went through the kids dressers and took out all the too small clothing, along with items they rarely wear. Hubby and I did the same. We sent 3 huge bags to the local thrift shop. We also attacked our basement storage room, and sent many more items to the shop, along with two large bags to the dump.

My new routine after the kids are in bed is walking through the house going...hmmm...what else can I get rid of? Last night I happened upon a post in a local buy nothing group asking for young boys clothes - was able to pull together a bunch for a local mom in need, and threw in some toys as well.

On top of that, someone is coming to pick up an old purse I had posted...left it out on my front step this morning, and when I get home from work, there will be $25 sitting in my mailbox for me.

Next step is selling some of the rubbermaid plastic bins we used to store unnecessary crap in!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4251 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:51 PM »
TOgirl, getting rid of all our excess stuff may mean there is a glut of plastic storage containers on the market!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4252 on: January 11, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
Yesterday was very successful. Threw out a bunch of take away container lids and  jars I'd kept but won't use for food storage. Found someone to take candles I won't use. Also found three cleaning fluid bottles with about a tablespoon in each!

So now I've made the space for the under cupboard bin and also freed up another kitchen drawer. All the dogs medicines and bowls etc are going to move in there, so today's job is sorting through his stuff. That will free up a cupboard for my camera bag that currently lives on the study floor. Yay!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4253 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Your attention please:

THE SWORD HAS LEFT THE BUILDING. :D Picked up this evening. Hooray!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4254 on: January 11, 2017, 10:02:44 PM »
Went through a pile of papers, trashed half of them, scanned and trashed the remaining half and put away some of them in our filebox for tax purposes. So  nice to see a clear table and all the to-do stuff corralled into one small box.

Also caught up on greeting cards finally.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4255 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
Your attention please:

Hooray!

I seem to have broken my shredder :( It's well and truly jammed so I'll get the pliers out. What a pain! In better news, I've sorted another kitchen drawer and chucked out 4 IKEA tape measures and random bits.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4256 on: January 12, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Arranged for Brother to get his WEIRD sized mattress back. (California Queen). This will open up the office so I can get back to other decluttering! Unfortunately it's still a couple weeks until pickup, but at least the end is in sight.

Your attention please:

Woohoo!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4257 on: January 12, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
We have a cross continent move next year (or worst case the year after). Even though we knew this day might come some time, now that timeline is more concrete. So I'm concentrating on letting go of what we won't use in the next two years. Made a list of items I want to tackle sooner than later (we are welcoming baby in June) so I can get through it when I have more time for it. But the move is also intimidating since it means we'll be moving with two toddlers and will have some large items (beds, sofa, cars) that we'd need to hold till the end but most others can go sooner. My plan is to get the clothes and toys out as the baby outgrows them and try not to buy new clothes or stuff if we can help it. Would be harder to do it for my eldest though.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #4258 on: January 12, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
I am joining in on this.

I have so much car stuff that I've accumulated that needs to go.  I'm also returning it to a closer to stock condition and will be selling those parts, also.

We will also be getting rid of as much stuff as possible soon to make our move easier.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4259 on: January 12, 2017, 06:53:59 PM »
I still haven't done the cords and cables cupboard.

Husband went through it last night looking for something and was making very obvious noises of frustration and displeasure.

(Most of it is his stuff or he has been the hold up because we might need that cable one day. *rolls eyes*)

So when I heard him muttering away, I said, 'Yeah, it's awful in there, we really should sort it out. Make it easier to find what we need.'

He thought that was a great idea.

(Part of the problem is that I don't know what some of these cables and cords are for. My new system is to tag any new ones with washi tape to prevent the situation getting worse.)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4260 on: January 12, 2017, 07:53:39 PM »
3 skirts and 2 dresses in the goodwill bag. 1 pair of leggings cut up for rags.

I sew, and I really struggle to know when something is worn out or too big. I can always make adjustments and make it fit!  These pieces I chose tonight are all things I made or customized and though they are all too big I could rework them... but I haven't even wanted to wear them in several years. I told myself that the next time i goodwill shop i will look for a skirt that coordinates with my
Current wardrobe.  One skirt that fits and is easy to wear instead of this difficult pile of skirts and dresses.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4261 on: January 12, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »

Husband went through it last night looking for something and was making very obvious noises of frustration and displeasure.

(Most of it is his stuff or he has been the hold up because we might need that cable one day. *rolls eyes*)

So when I heard him muttering away, I said, 'Yeah, it's awful in there, we really should sort it out. Make it easier to find what we need.'

(Part of the problem is that I don't know what some of these cables and cords are for. My new system is to tag any new ones with washi tape to prevent the situation getting worse.)

I think the cords and cables drawer is the hardest. I'm insisting hubby and I do it together. We have millions of discs for software but our current laptop has no disc drive... We also have an old laptop that needs clearing off and recycling but it's too painful a job so a year after we bought a new one, still not done.

I have attached tags to a lot of cables, but when you look at them, many fit multiple devices/ purposes. I don't the names of the cables but there is one with a USB one end  and a small thingy the other end and it fits both cameras and some phone or other. Maybe I can rid of a couple, but then if one splits...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4262 on: January 12, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »

I think the cords and cables drawer is the hardest. I'm insisting hubby and I do it together. We have millions of discs for software but our current laptop has no disc drive... We also have an old laptop that needs clearing off and recycling but it's too painful a job so a year after we bought a new one, still not done.

I have attached tags to a lot of cables, but when you look at them, many fit multiple devices/ purposes. I don't the names of the cables but there is one with a USB one end  and a small thingy the other end and it fits both cameras and some phone or other. Maybe I can rid of a couple, but then if one splits...

I give you Michael McIntyre on The Man Drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUpDGAIdds

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4263 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:24 PM »

I give you Michael McIntyre on The Man Drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgUpDGAIdds

DH and I quite enjoyed that. Although he visibly winced at the battery part. He's the anti-ManDrawer I guess =P

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4264 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »
The Man Drawer is hilarious - so true!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #4265 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:27 PM »

Funny thing is that decluttering cables have become so much easier over the last few years. I have reduced my cables to basically this bunch:

1. USB Cables - I kept 2 of every type of usb connector.
2. 1 VGA Cable (the blue one) as a backup in case somebody shows up with old stuff
3. 1 DVI Cable (the white) in case somebody show up with not-so-old stuff.
4. 6 standard power cables (may be a bit much)
5. All the HDMI cables I had (about 3-4 extra)
6. All Cat 5E or better network cables
7. 1 roll of loudspeaker cable
8. 5 assorted audio cables (coax, optical...)
9. 4-5 usb sticks of at least 1 gigabyte

This fits nicely in a small drawer and I have never wanted for a second cable. I have also thrown away all old software on cds, I have no machines that can read them anyway so they are effectively useless.

Really at this point everything is USB, network and HDMI if you're dealing with digital stuff. So just dump the rest.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4266 on: January 13, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »

Funny thing is that decluttering cables have become so much easier over the last few years. I have reduced my cables to basically this bunch:

1. USB Cables - I kept 2 of every type of usb connector.
2. 1 VGA Cable (the blue one) as a backup in case somebody shows up with old stuff
3. 1 DVI Cable (the white) in case somebody show up with not-so-old stuff.
4. 6 standard power cables (may be a bit much)
5. All the HDMI cables I had (about 3-4 extra)
6. All Cat 5E or better network cables
7. 1 roll of loudspeaker cable
8. 5 assorted audio cables (coax, optical...)
9. 4-5 usb sticks of at least 1 gigabyte

This fits nicely in a small drawer and I have never wanted for a second cable. I have also thrown away all old software on cds, I have no machines that can read them anyway so they are effectively useless.

Really at this point everything is USB, network and HDMI if you're dealing with digital stuff. So just dump the rest.

This is what I'm struggling with! We had a pile of cables and cords in the office. I asked hubby to go through them and figure out what we need. I came home to them all separated out on the floor. No less of them, and not organized....just...spread out. Tempted to toss the whole bunch!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4267 on: January 13, 2017, 08:55:41 AM »
Mailed 2 unwanted posters to a friend (she paid shipping); crappy poster frames "donated" to the alley.

Tossed another stack of paper from the filing cabinet. Why did I have entire file of vet expenses for the cat who died in 2011?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4268 on: January 14, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
I was able to volunteer to house some records at my school since my file cabinets are getting emptier and emptier. I may be able to get rid of a work file cabinet by the end of the year (people are always scrambling for them), freeing up some valuable space in my middle room. I no longer keep anything in bins; everything is in a file drawer or on a shelf (or on my desk, which is still a mess, but I'm getting to that soon!). I have a table and two large awesome teacher desks in my classroom. I'd like to move one of my desks to the middle room and rearrange some things to allow more room for the Chromebook cart that's a fairly new addition and really doesn't fit.

At home I need to do some more culling in the one file drawer in my office for financial records. I had a Cingular contract in there. How many years ago did that company disappear?

Things are going well.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4269 on: January 14, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
We did the cable drawer (man drawer!) and now have a bag full of recycling. I'm not really sure who takes misc cables in Australia. Phones and chargers are easy so maybe I'll put then all in a mobile phone bin? I found two phones as well!

Listed 2 more things on FB for free. No bites so will put on gumtree.

I'm going to google uses for old CDs as I have 15+ software discs...

Today's job is cleaning up and listing some kitchen stuff that should go for decent $$$.

PerpetualWanderlust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4270 on: January 14, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
Two bags of clothes. Donated everything I haven't worn in the last year.

Feels great.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4271 on: January 14, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
I have craigslist takers lined up for all my foreign language books!

Languages either I or my daughter have taken up over the years: Sign language, Latin, Polish, Russian, Italian, Spanish. Also German and French, but at least I don't have the books for them anymore.

And, ironically, I have no use for any of those languages now - but here in my hometown in the midwest, depending where I shop, people just assume I speak Arabic. It's so common here, at one point a woman behind me in line at the grocery store started reading something in Arabic from the checkout line magazine rack - and when I couldn't understand her, she asked "Really?! Where are you from?"

I might have to hit up youtube or the library and get some basic phrases down.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4272 on: January 14, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
Took 4 30 gallon trash bags to Goodwill full of outgrown toys clothing and books from the three kiddos. I also threw in an unneeded Christmas gift- a cheapo blender from Walmart.

The kids rooms look so. much. better.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4273 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »
Donated some cookbooks and am going through my stash of food magazines and the newspaper clippings of recipes that my mother keeps sending me. I can find pretty much any recipe I want on the Internet so no reason to keep these.

A big stack is getting recycled, and as an added bonus, I found some of my grandmother's holiday recipe cards that I couldn't find at Christmastime!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4274 on: January 15, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4275 on: January 15, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
ahahahhaha!

I just folded my socks last night!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4276 on: January 15, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »
So you are ready for the apocalypse!   ;-)

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4277 on: January 15, 2017, 08:27:35 PM »
Got rid of two more books through FB today, and one of them was really big, so that's good.

Aussies - there is a place called Quantum Technical Services in SA that recycles X-Rays. Apparently they contain silver. You can post them to them, so that's what I've done! Got quite the bundle together. Have to pay postage but that feels better than binning something useful.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4278 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
Cleaned out my food cupboard and the fridge. Recycled a couple glass jars. Tossed some brown rice that was rancid. I'm pretty sure it was rancid when I brought it home from the store, but I let it sit for months. Ugh. Gone now.

Boxed almost two dozen assorted sized mason jars. They'll sit in the closet for a couple months before I see my friend who cans, but now they won't clog my cupboard space.

Put my favorite (worn out and too big) sweater in the bag for textile recycling... we'll see if I can leave it there for a few weeks before I actually donate it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4279 on: January 16, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
Mezzie, Tris Prior, TomTX--thanks for the suggestions!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4280 on: January 16, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Huge dresser is gone! And I got my fixed bike in exchange. They'll be back for bookshelves soon, but it was too much to fit in their car in one trip.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4281 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
I am proud of myself. I had a bunch of female stuff I have no need for anymore (yay menopause!). I finally gathered it all up today and donated it to a women's shelter.

Doesn't sound like an accomplishment, but knocking on a stranger's door to announce "I have tampons" is not any introvert's ideal activity. I decided getting over it makes more sense than throwing that stuff in a landfill, when the shelter is a half mile from my house.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4282 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
I am proud of myself. I had a bunch of female stuff I have no need for anymore (yay menopause!). I finally gathered it all up today and donated it to a women's shelter.

Doesn't sound like an accomplishment, but knocking on a stranger's door to announce "I have tampons" is not any introvert's ideal activity. I decided getting over it makes more sense than throwing that stuff in a landfill, when the shelter is a half mile from my house.

You crack me up, Jakejake!

Congrats on the decluttering, environmentalism, and forced interaction with strangers. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4283 on: January 16, 2017, 02:55:22 PM »

Good for you! I laughed at the "not an introvert's ideal activity" thing. =P I'm right there with you. Glad you overcame though!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4284 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:48 AM »

You're welcome!

Now if I could just remember what I suggested....

Anyway, confirmed retention schedule on utility bills with the wife (1 year retention, plus final bill from any former utilties) - and yay, I got to shred!

Need to work out an arrangement on old credit card bills and bank statements next...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4285 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »

You're welcome!

Now if I could just remember what I suggested....

Anyway, confirmed retention schedule on utility bills with the wife (1 year retention, plus final bill from any former utilties) - and yay, I got to shred!

Need to work out an arrangement on old credit card bills and bank statements next...

I just keep the last letter that says we've closed the credit card. I've also got a few paper folders with a shred date for things that we don't need to keep but DH isn't comfortable chucking!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4286 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »
Signed up for two more electronic bills yesterday. As far as I know, that only leaves one paper bill coming to the house!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4287 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
The food service sized container of dried parsley that I inherited in 2005 and then never used because dried parsley tastes like horse feed?

GONE!!!!!

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #4288 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Hit the local storage unit hard this weekend.  Emptied out another 15+ boxes.  Took two loads to local charity, have a box going to a resale shop.  Stuck now with the final few boxes that have sentimental items from my deceased parents -- letters, photos, documents etc.  I just pulled out my father's wallet out of the last pair of pants he wore.  All the coins in his pocket were from the 1990s.  My mother just kept it all and now that she is gone I have the task of doing it alone.  It sucks to lose both parents so young and this is one case where it also stinks being an only child.   My spouse is so supportive, but really can't help because it's paperwork and photos.  I just need to stop read through it all and make decisions.  I feel like there might be light at the end of this storage unit tunnel and then I realize that I have two more storage unit crates in another state... I'll get there, eventually!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4289 on: January 17, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »
As part of my decluttering goal, I took a look at our small bookshelf (15 books after KMing) and decided to let go of my Harry Potter books. This is huge for me since I've loved and read them regularly but I now realize the large books don't give me joy anymore and I'd rather have Kindle versions of them so I can read them whenever I want. Passing on those books to my niece who is starting to get into Potter magic.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #4290 on: January 18, 2017, 12:30:53 AM »
Hit the local storage unit hard this weekend.  Emptied out another 15+ boxes.  Took two loads to local charity, have a box going to a resale shop.  Stuck now with the final few boxes that have sentimental items from my deceased parents -- letters, photos, documents etc.  I just pulled out my father's wallet out of the last pair of pants he wore.  All the coins in his pocket were from the 1990s.  My mother just kept it all and now that she is gone I have the task of doing it alone.  It sucks to lose both parents so young and this is one case where it also stinks being an only child.   My spouse is so supportive, but really can't help because it's paperwork and photos.  I just need to stop read through it all and make decisions.  I feel like there might be light at the end of this storage unit tunnel and then I realize that I have two more storage unit crates in another state... I'll get there, eventually!

Can I suggest scanning all the family photos. We did that with my grandmothers. Then we sorted out the ones that were relevant and added them to our screensaver so they pop up from time to time. The rest went into digital cold storage.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4291 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
I've had 2 boxes in the living room that got added to as I found things to donate.  Yesterday I added a bit more to them, and the 2 full boxes and 3 boxes of books got dropped off.  Now I can start filling more boxes.

At first it was easy to fill the car with low-hanging fruit.  Some areas are getting visibly better, harder to declutter (I am sure in a month it will be obvious what still needs to go).  Other areas - lots to get rid of still, easy pickings.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #4292 on: January 18, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
i'm making a promise to the internet that i'm taking out the donations and returns tomorrow.
i have another bag of things to donate (mainly clothes) and four more amazon returns.
i also emailed to get rid of my ex-roommate's stuff

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #4293 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
got rid of 5 boxes of books! Didn't even know I had so many... and these were just the 'obvious outs'. Still have two more bookcases to sift through...

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #4294 on: January 18, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day. I've already cleaned my tiny closet out and kept like 2 nice tops for "dressing up" during FIRE.

I plan to take them up to my mom's house, she can chose what she wants to keep and the rest will GO.

I really, really wanted to have a burning party but that seems a waste for perfectly good clothes.

I am sure I will find something else work related to burn, cut up etc. Like my Badge I will definitely be shredding that the MINUTE I am home on friday!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4295 on: January 18, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day. I've already cleaned my tiny closet out and kept like 2 nice tops for "dressing up" during FIRE.

I plan to take them up to my mom's house, she can chose what she wants to keep and the rest will GO.

I really, really wanted to have a burning party but that seems a waste for perfectly good clothes.

I am sure I will find something else work related to burn, cut up etc. Like my Badge I will definitely be shredding that the MINUTE I am home on friday!

This is SO exciting!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4296 on: January 18, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4297 on: January 18, 2017, 04:01:40 PM »
Next Friday is my last work day.
Woohooooo! Congratulations!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4298 on: January 18, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
I really really enjoy decluttering. I'm supposed to be doing other things but am itching to tackle another area.

I'm a bit worried about the day that I run out of areas / categories to tackle...

Maybe you could help my wife...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4299 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!