Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850132 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4150 on: January 03, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

I kept wearing them around the house. The elastic gave out so much I was using a hair elastic to ratchet them on. Then there was a bleach incident and the holey khaki fabric became white and pink at the ankles.

It was time.

:(

My husband brought me some trousers to 'mend' yesterday. He was like, "there's a hole here, if you could just patch it. But maybe extend the patch up? It's already thin here". I asked about the other leg, I had already patched it, but where the patch ended it was weak and maybe they needed a further strenghtening patch there. And since I was already at it, this part needs reinforcing too.

In the end I was like, "so basically just make you a new pair of trousers, but inside this pair?". Apparently they are his favourites.

:D Fantastic.

I had a favourite pair of jeans when I was about 17. Jeans were tough for me to buy because I don't really have hips (Levis, etc, now have Curve ID which is awesome).

Anyway, I wore this particular pair to death. Eventually they got dangerously thin, so Mum confiscated them and stashed them in the sewing room for a future project. But I knew they were there so I would retrieve them and keep wearing them. Eventually she cut them off at the knees.

:(

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4151 on: January 03, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
It sounds to me like you did the best you could. I'd tell her she can either have it back by X date or you're donating on Y date. If she doesn't take it back, then I would say there's no more responsibility on your shoulders.

I feel your pain. There's hoarding in my family, too.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4152 on: January 03, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »
If any of you need assistance with Calibre, I can help. I've been using it and my kindle (and tablets) consistently for over 5 years. I've yet to find anything it can't do. I have over 6000 books in my library.

Over 6000, wow.  I love reading, I love books, lately I have been able to satisfy the cravings through the library.   But at my highest book-owning moment I don't think I had that many - if the shelves were full, something had to go when something came in.

There are books I can easily ditch (the library has them), fairly easily ditch (probably will never want to read again) and those I want to hold onto that the library doesn't have.  And are not in Gutenberg, so will have to buy if I want to trade paper for electrons.  Too bad there isn't a site where I send in my paper copy and they let me download the ebook equivalent.  Of course a lot of my books are not even available as ebooks.

Spoiler: show
Is that many books even mustachian?

jordanread

« Reply #4153 on: January 03, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

Spoiler: show

Not as physical books. But I switched to eBooks before they even had readers. And they take up no physical space. A good chunk were premustachian too. No clutter for me. 😀

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4154 on: January 03, 2017, 07:05:06 PM »
Alright I am doing this decluttering/cleaning thing now! Some parts of my house haven't been properly cleaned in the 20+years we've lived here, but since I retired in the summer, this is my winter project.

So far: I've washed the walls around light switches and corners, where 20 years of fingerprints had built up. I've cleaned the fridge, even taking out the shelves in the door and washed them. Except for the very bottom vegetable bin, I got sidetracked right at that point. (Squirrel!)

I've washed the drapes in 3 rooms, and wiped the cobwebs off the curtain rods and top of the window frames. The cobwebs, omg, I don't know how they snuck up on me like this. In an anti-anticluttering moment I bought a lightweight stick vacuum and I've done my ceilings with it.

One room had turned into a combination shrine to my daughter (who is almost thirty and hasn't lived here in a decade) and general overflow dumping ground. I've cleaned out her closet, filled 4 big garbage bags of pure trash, a medium one of recyclable papers (spelling tests from 5th grade, that sort of thing), and tonight I posted up some old dolls of hers on craigslist.

I also donated several bags of work clothes I don't need any more to a local thrift shop.

I've been listening to the marie kondo audio book and some minimalist podcasts among other things while cleaning, for inspiration. I can't quite get behind thanking my purse when I put it down after shopping or making my clothes stand up in the dresser drawers, but I do like the idea of "curating" my environment and feeling peaceful when I walk into a room.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4155 on: January 03, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
In December, a woman at work mentioned that she wanted to start decluttering so I gave her a few pointers.

Just caught up with her and she has made huge progress over the break.

She raved about how much bigger her house seems, how much easier it is to tidy, how much her kids are enjoying the space, and how much happier she feels.

I stood there and clapped when she told me. So thrilled for her.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #4156 on: January 03, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
Listed 9 items on ebay today. Gave my friend two of my old books for her to read, then told her she could keep or donate.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4157 on: January 03, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

What would you all do? Has anyone dealt with this?
If you can afford it, donate and give her some money for it ( less than $50) since she is in dire financial straits. Also make it clear you can't sell any more for her because it's not worth your time (over three years) to sell them. The way I see it, you are paying to get rid of it from your life. While it's true that asking her to pick up by X and donating by Y will work, it'll not help your mom's hoarding tendencies (she'll come pick it up and store it at her place making you deal with it at a later stage). If you give her very little money, she'll atleast realize that most of what she hoards is crap and may be ready to let them go.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4158 on: January 03, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes – usually for students – and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
A few were mobi files and are now on my Kindle.
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

Fabulous! Yes, I've done it for a lot of things for work.

If any of you need assistance with Calibre, I can help. I've been using it and my kindle (and tablets) consistently for over 5 years. I've yet to find anything it can't do. I have over 6000 books in my library.

Ooh. Yep. I've got a textbook in Bookshelf (iOS) that'd I'd love to convert (to something actually functional; I hate Bookshelf). But I have no clue how to get the file itself; I just get to it in the app (it's a desk copy because I'm teaching with it; the publisher sent it to me through an online service that syncs to the app). But maybe that's not a Calibre question?

jordanread

« Reply #4159 on: January 03, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes – usually for students – and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

Ooh. Yep. I've got a textbook in Bookshelf (iOS) that'd I'd love to convert (to something actually functional; I hate Bookshelf). But I have no clue how to get the file itself; I just get to it in the app (it's a desk copy because I'm teaching with it; the publisher sent it to me through an online service that syncs to the app). But maybe that's not a Calibre question?
Not directly, but it might be. This is iBooks Bookshelf right? I'll check back in the AM.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4160 on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

Not directly, but it might be. This is iBooks Bookshelf right? I'll check back in the AM.

Yes, iBooks. Thanks!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4161 on: January 03, 2017, 09:50:13 PM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

What would you all do? Has anyone dealt with this?

I've learnt to keep my mouth shut about selling on eBay, after having multiple people try this on with me.

A friend of mine announced that she wanted to declutter and said she would give me all her books, DVDs, etc to sell online. She was planning to let me keep the money, but it came across almost like charity the way she tried to sell me on the idea. Also, she's a SAHM and I work full-time. Sell your own stuff! (She couldn't be bothered in the end, donated the lot.)

MiL tried this repeatedly. Eventually I agreed, listed 20-30 articles of outdated women's clothes at 99 cents each. She texted me every day to ask if anything had sold. When nothing sold, I donated the lot. I later taught her how to sell on eBay, and she listed things at such ridiculous prices that nothing sold then either. "These are good shoes, I paid $300 for them!" "... they're 15 years old. You don't want them because they're dated and they're your shoes. Why would anyone else want them?"

I would probably give in and dump the lot, give her a small amount of money, and do everything in your power to stop the influx of crap from her again. Baffle her with bullshit if you have to, tell her eBay put up their fees and it's not worth your time, or tell her eBay and Paypal had a security breach (true) and you're not comfortable selling online anymore.

While she can't have a personal garage sale, she could look into community garage sales or car boot sales and sell things that way.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4162 on: January 04, 2017, 07:11:41 AM »

Not as physical books. But I switched to eBooks before they even had readers. And they take up no physical space. A good chunk were premustachian too. No clutter for me. 😀

I was thinking more of the cost, I would happily have unlimited books (but that is why I need a big library wherever I move to).  $$ is what is stopping me from replacing perfectly good paper books with ebooks.  Plus so many are not even available as ebooks (the older ones, that are not old enough for Gutenberg).

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4163 on: January 04, 2017, 11:43:10 AM »
DW and I decided that it was time to turn our attention to the interior of the house. It needed cleaning and decluttering foremost. Needed some paint and minor remodeling.

We're both sentimental fools and have boxes of old books and papers. We now have a single box of those things. Next up is a thinning of other books, music and movies. Had no idea how much we had until we unboxed some things. Things were haven't enjoyed in years. What is the point in having it?

We've made stabs at making real progress before and accomplished a little each time.

This holiday we got serious.

And it was easier each time something left the house - as either donations, recycle materials or plain garbage.

Along the way we painted one room and have plans to paint a few more in the next week or so. New carpet too. Night and day difference.

Our house wasn't dirty but it wasn't clean either. So much dust around things that had not been moved in such a long time. Someone here talked about creating a home that is easy to clean so that is what we're focusing on. Everything needs to have a home or it needs to go.

Still have a ways to go but we are getting there. On a another note the Goodwill store people know us by sight now. I considered a garage sale or eBay but I've been down that route before. Takes a long time, lots of packing and boxing - assuming I have materials to do this with in the first place. Our time is worth more than the stuff we donated. Most of it would have been $5 items at best.

We noticed how many gifts we've received as a family that were never really used much. We've tried to make our relatives remember we have a small house but with mixed results. Whatever comes into the house needs to be easy to store when not in use. The holidays are wonderful but we don't need anything. Time together and good eats and laughter are more important to us.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4164 on: January 04, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
The decluttering endeavor has driven home the irreconcilable differences between my husband and me.

Last night. Me: Do I really have to get rid of my Annie Dillard and Dorris Lessing books? I haven't read them since college, but they were so good ... (Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize winners, respectively)

My husband - face lighting up, pointing to one of his books: THIS is the BEST BOOK EVER!

I squint at the title: "Linear Algebra and its Applications."

We seem happy enough together, but this makes me think we aren't compatible at all.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4165 on: January 04, 2017, 03:45:21 PM »
The decluttering endeavor has driven home the irreconcilable differences between my husband and me.

Last night. Me: Do I really have to get rid of my Annie Dillard and Dorris Lessing books? I haven't read them since college, but they were so good ... (Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize winners, respectively)

My husband - face lighting up, pointing to one of his books: THIS is the BEST BOOK EVER!

I squint at the title: "Linear Algebra and its Applications."

We seem happy enough together, but this makes me think we aren't compatible at all.

What about Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Thanks for the laugh!

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4166 on: January 04, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
I'm reasonably good at not bring excess into my house...I THOUGHT...but I'm doing the Apartment Therapy cure this January and re-discovered that I have five whisks/egg beaters (one stolen from my mom, four gifted from my mom...ya think she wants the one I stole back?) and three containers of curry powder.

On the upside, today's task (cleaning out the pantry) has me feeling really good about the space. Which still has three things of curry because I will eventually use them, but has less of the stuff I never will.

...anyone have any good recipes for curry powder?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4167 on: January 04, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
I'm reasonably good at not bring excess into my house...I THOUGHT...but I'm doing the Apartment Therapy cure this January and re-discovered that I have five whisks/egg beaters (one stolen from my mom, four gifted from my mom...ya think she wants the one I stole back?) and three containers of curry powder.

On the upside, today's task (cleaning out the pantry) has me feeling really good about the space. Which still has three things of curry because I will eventually use them, but has less of the stuff I never will.

Curry powder improves almost everything that isn't ice cream. Next time you're too sick to do more than heat up a can of chicken soup, add some curry powder to it and feel even more better. Unless you're vegetarian, that is, in which case do it with vegetable soup.

Seriously, I go through tons of curry, powders and pastes both, because they're useful in so very many things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4168 on: January 04, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »

Curried Lentils and chickpeas!
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/07/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/01/curried-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/quick-curried-chick-peas/
and this one doesn't have curry but is delicious lol: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/09/dal-nirvana/

BiscuitsForBreakfast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4169 on: January 04, 2017, 07:13:54 PM »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4170 on: January 04, 2017, 07:20:35 PM »
I love adding curry powder to chicken salad. Also, you can use it for roasted crunchy chick peas, or seasoning for pumpkin seeds.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4171 on: January 04, 2017, 08:01:10 PM »
I make chicken curry with leftover chicken - saute onions, garlic, peppers, any other veg, diced apples, add diced chicken, add chicken broth, add curry.  Serve over rice.  Also good with left-over turkey.  I also saw a turkey curry once that added diced canned peaches (syrup well rinsed off) - sounds odd but was very nice.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4172 on: January 04, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »

Curried Lentils and chickpeas!
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/07/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/01/curried-lentils/
https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/02/quick-curried-chick-peas/
and this one doesn't have curry but is delicious lol: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/09/dal-nirvana/

Oooh, thank you Bracken_Joy! (How did you know I also had an open packet of lentils in there??)

I feel like EVERYONE has a partial pack of lentils creeping around the pantry, haha.

I love adding curry powder to chicken salad. Also, you can use it for roasted crunchy chick peas, or seasoning for pumpkin seeds.

Oooh, I love the chicken salad plan! I also want to try it now on top of deviled eggs. Mmmm.

I make chicken curry with leftover chicken - saute onions, garlic, peppers, any other veg, diced apples, add diced chicken, add chicken broth, add curry.  Serve over rice.  Also good with left-over turkey.  I also saw a turkey curry once that added diced canned peaches (syrup well rinsed off) - sounds odd but was very nice.

That turkey recipe is gonna come in handy. Thawing a 16lb turkey... for just DH and I =o

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4173 on: January 04, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »
I am also doing the January Cure. Pantry day was both satisfying and horrifying. The horror came when I found a package of weevil-y flour and a jar of very elderly instant coffee that had molded. It was gaggingly nasty.

The satisfaction was consolidating things and tossing and planning some meals to use up items I have a lot of. I have three packages of couscous, a food I rarely eat...but buy often apparently.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4174 on: January 04, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »

Also good in potato salad.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4175 on: January 04, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
Thank you for the reminder about curry chicken salad.  It was a favorite lunch for awhile and then I just quit making it.

Today I sold my ski jacket and ski pants via Craigslist.  Super happy because I really tried to learn to ski a few years ago and gave up, so seeing those items was a reminder of my husband feeling guilty about trying to get me into the sport and my complete inability to enjoy hurtling down a mountainside.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4176 on: January 04, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »

Also good in potato salad.

And egg salad sandwiches!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4177 on: January 05, 2017, 03:14:58 AM »
I agree, I'm afraid. Tell her that you have made your best efforts to sell it, but cannot, so if she doesn't collect it by x date, you will get rid of it.

If it leads to a torrent of verbal abuse, honestly, you need to stand up for yourself.

"Mom, I tried to help you out by selling it. I am sorry it is not worth anything. Please don't shoot the messenger". I would just repeat that over and over every time she mentions it, but I am kind of a bitch. If you are more embroiled in her (what honestly sounds like narcissistic) behaviour you may find that hard / impossible. But I think it's good to start establishing these kind of boundaries (ie you can't ask me to do you an impossible favour, and then berate me for not doing it) because, IMO, people like this tend to get worse as they get older.

I agree that giving her cash and lying, whilst very appealing, will lead you further down this path which you do not want to go on. I know it's great that she's letting things go, and it's good to encourage that, but, honestly (this is going to be direct, sorry if it's harsh) if you are trying to encourage her to let stuff go so that one day it's easier to deal with her estate, it's not working, because, when that sad day comes, you can donate it all without anyone's agreement. Doing it now means you are having to negotiate with her.

Sorry she's being like this.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4178 on: January 05, 2017, 06:50:28 AM »
Today's goals:

1. Organize the pantry (I've been dreading this).
2. Get rid of/find a place for 50% of the clutter on my desk.
3. Sell a box or two of books and CDs.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4179 on: January 05, 2017, 08:27:17 AM »
OKAY!

-Holiday guests are gone, after 2 weeks
-Christmas decor is all packed and away (except the tree and the outdoor lights- icy out so we can't deal with those yet)
-Husband is gone at work alllllll day

Time to get my declutter on! So much crap came in over the holidays, it was insane. Two whole families where gifts are their love language, and both sets of parents are moving. I'll have plenty to keep me busy.

Today I'll try to tackle:
-Pantry
-Fridge
-Make sure nothing was snuck into kitchen cupboards
-Bathroom cupboards
-Dining room built-ins, which ended up as a weird catch all

Later days:
-OFFICE. There's a giant mattress that got left in there. No friggin clue what to do with it. Plan had been to sub it with the guest mattress, but it's a weird size (Cali Queen) and frankly not comfortable. Came from Brother who lives 100+ miles away from his storage unit. At our request, but I thought it was a queen and not AWFUL. Anyway, need to start there, THEN do DH's desk and closet and un-filed filing. And another pass through our books is probably a good idea.
-DH's clothes again
-My clothes again, although I did this pretty recently

Once it's a bit warmer:
-Tree and outdoor lights, stash final xmas bin
-Organize garage shelves and camping gear

Wish me luck!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4180 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
Ok, this was a big labor declutter for one item.  My son's home from college for the break and wanted the old recliner chair that's made it's way out of every room in our house (nobody wanted it so it would move to whatever room didn't have someone currently in it to defend the territory).  He asked me if he could trash it and I said yes.  Put it in the basement and I'll dismantle it for recycling as much as possible.  Well, we heat our house partly with a wood furnace so as I pulled the thing apart, the hardwood frame was thrown piece by piece into the furnace.  Free heat, yay!  The screws, bolts, nuts all went into the metal recycle bin and the steel recliner mechanism and springs went in with them.  There is fabric, foam and padding that's going to be trashed but a good 80% of the weight is now converted to heat or being recycled.  Less clutter!

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4181 on: January 05, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »

"These are good shoes, I paid $300 for them!" "... they're 15 years old. You don't want them because they're dated and they're your shoes. Why would anyone else want them?"

Right? Why do they not understand this simple concept?

While she can't have a personal garage sale, she could look into community garage sales or car boot sales and sell things that way.

Yeah, no, she thinks this should be MY job because I am not elderly so therefore have allllll this time and energy to do for her. Never mind the fact that I work fulltime and she does not work (and that I live in a high crime neighborhood where I would not dare to have a yard sale myself; I'd be robbed of my cash within 5 minutes of setup.)

If you are more embroiled in her (what honestly sounds like narcissistic) behaviour you may find that hard / impossible. But I think it's good to start establishing these kind of boundaries (ie you can't ask me to do you an impossible favour, and then berate me for not doing it) because, IMO, people like this tend to get worse as they get older.

I agree that giving her cash and lying, whilst very appealing, will lead you further down this path which you do not want to go on. I know it's great that she's letting things go, and it's good to encourage that, but, honestly (this is going to be direct, sorry if it's harsh) if you are trying to encourage her to let stuff go so that one day it's easier to deal with her estate, it's not working, because, when that sad day comes, you can donate it all without anyone's agreement. Doing it now means you are having to negotiate with her.

You're not wrong, she is definitely a narcissist and gets very angry when I refuse to do something that she wants me to do. The fact that I'm even considering tossing this stuff out is progress for me.

When she goes, I am going to call up Got Junk and dump the entire lot without looking back. I read somewhere that the whole "this is worth something, I should sell it (you should sell it for me)" mentality is part of the hoarding mentality. Seeing worth and value in stuff that is, frankly, clutter and crap. At the time I thought it was a sign that she's getting better but I'm realizing that wasn't the case. :(

Meanwhile, this just makes me want to double down on getting rid of my own crap! I have been excavating this damn filing cabinet since before New Year's and I feel like I have got to start hitting bottom at some point. Found an old diary in there from my early 20s, WTF. Shredded the entire damned thing; wow, was that an embarrassing read.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #4182 on: January 05, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »
My wife has had this tradition (or rather spleen I should say) of decluttering on Jan 1st. I've always hated it not because I hate decluttering, infact I love it, but because on Jan 1st I have more important things on my mind than decluttering. Such as hydration after last night's binge, trying to get rid of that nasty feeling in my throat after last night's binge, and fighting the massive headache that never seems to respond to Aspirin, Advil, Iboprofen, etc.

This year has been the second year in a row that we didn't declutter though. Last year we had just moved out of our old apartment shortly before christmas and moved into a spare bedroom at my parents' house so there was nothing to declutter (although truth be told my parents' place is a giant mess but that's a different issue). This year we didn't have anything to declutter yet because after travelling around the world in 2016 living out of two backpacks we have only just arrived in the US and have only just moved into our new apartment a bit less than two months ago. And since we've been very conscious and careful in what we're buying I don't think there will be any need to declutter next year or the year after that, either.

Maybe I can finally start sobering up on new year's the way it was meant to be: dirty, smelly, nasty, but with no regrets whatsoever.

I kinda miss that satisfactory rush of throwing stuff out, donating it, selling it, etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:52:24 AM by kms »

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4183 on: January 05, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
Ha! I came across a box of journals from the 90s. I was going to shred them all unread, but my brother convinced me to read them first. There's some cool stuff, for sure, but mostly embarrassing judgmentalism. They'll be shredded when I'm done reading. I may take a few pictures of pages, but for someone who was so afraid of forgetting details at the time, I'm surprised by how much I just want to let that past go.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4184 on: January 05, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
I could have written that last sentence of yours, Mezzie. Every time I've looked back through old journals I cringe! Guess I need to deal with those at some point...reading through one last time and then shredding sounds like it could be cathartic.

I found 16 more placemats, added to the donate box. Seriously, I am never stepping foot inside a Pier 1 again.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4185 on: January 05, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Arrrgh, old journals! So embarrassing. I have some travel journals from a 4 month solo trip when I was 18 and I need to read them before I chuck them. They are really the best record of the trip but I have a feeling the records of what boys I kissed and the attempts at being funny may be too cringeworthy.

I just removed about 3 inches of paper from files of bills and statements. My poor 5-page-at-a-time shredder will not cope (gets too hot and shuts down) so it will have to be done gradually over days...! I might be able to consolidate what was in 2 x lever arch file and a paper folder into one lever arch. My overall aim is to convert three shelves of paperwork into one.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4186 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:52 PM »
Arrrgh, old journals! So embarrassing. I have some travel journals from a 4 month solo trip when I was 18 and I need to read them before I chuck them. They are really the best record of the trip but I have a feeling the records of what boys I kissed and the attempts at being funny may be too cringeworthy.

I just removed about 3 inches of paper from files of bills and statements. My poor 5-page-at-a-time shredder will not cope (gets too hot and shuts down) so it will have to be done gradually over days...! I might be able to consolidate what was in 2 x lever arch file and a paper folder into one lever arch. My overall aim is to convert three shelves of paperwork into one.

PDF them! :-) Digital clutter vs. actual clutter.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4187 on: January 05, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »

PDF them! :-) Digital clutter vs. actual clutter.

It would take so much time to do that though, and I would just be swapping one clutter for another. I am having an issue with digital clutter too! I am probably going to pdf a few important contracts and certificates but not the bills etc., because....

.....I've agreed with hubby that bills and statements older than 7 years old can go. Wonderfully, all our bills except our council rates (which have parking stickers attached) come electronically now, so in a few more years, all the remaining bills and statements - whoosh, gone!   

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4188 on: January 05, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »
Kitchen:
* Decluttered a bunch of old terrible alcohol. (Down the sink not down the gullet.) Goodbye blueberry vodka and strawberry daquiri beers.
* Decluttered baking cupboard of expired small amounts of cornmeal, cream of tartar, etc.

BATHROOM
* Had to fix the plumbing anyway so cleared out everything and threw out expired OTC medicines and assorted bottles of lotion.

HOME APPLIANCES
* Collected electronic knife sharpener, 2nd ice cream maker, 2nd food dehydrator and Shark sewing machine for garage sale pile

KID STUFF
* Plastic slide was passed along to another family through Buy Nothing group

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4189 on: January 06, 2017, 01:30:07 AM »
A friend who runs a home daycare wants our 3 car seats and playpen! So glad to find a home for these things.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4190 on: January 06, 2017, 01:36:44 AM »
Listed another couple of things on FB for free, yay!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4191 on: January 06, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »
Reposted a bunch of stuff on Craigslist.  Hopefully I will get some takers this time.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4192 on: January 06, 2017, 05:18:08 AM »
My siblings got accepted for a rental! Woohoo! Goodbye furniture we don't want/ they need :D

Time to go through the kitchen cupboards for anything there that can be passed along as well...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4193 on: January 06, 2017, 06:52:20 AM »
Seriously considering if we can ship away some speciality foodstuff to my sister or if it's not worth it, to give them to a cousin who stays close by. We can't use them anymore since my kid is allergic to them and since they are available only in a particular part of India, I ended up bulk buying them when I went. Now I don't want to waste it but can't use it either. Decisions, decisions!

We are slowly eating down the freezer and the pantry. My husband hates this so I'm doing it very gradually but my goal is to have a mostly empty freezer and pantry by the time we move in 8 months (yep! It'll take us that long to eat them up :( )

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4194 on: January 06, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »
Seriously considering if we can ship away some speciality foodstuff to my sister or if it's not worth it, to give them to a cousin who stays close by. We can't use them anymore since my kid is allergic to them and since they are available only in a particular part of India, I ended up bulk buying them when I went. Now I don't want to waste it but can't use it either. Decisions, decisions!

We are slowly eating down the freezer and the pantry. My husband hates this so I'm doing it very gradually but my goal is to have a mostly empty freezer and pantry by the time we move in 8 months (yep! It'll take us that long to eat them up :( )

Do you have a local facebook buy/sell? You may be able to get some money for them.
Or if it's too much in shipping- is there a university nearby? Maybe there are some international students organizations who could help find a home for these foods for a student who really misses them.  Or a local buy nothing group if you just want them out of the house.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #4195 on: January 06, 2017, 08:26:35 AM »
Ok, this was a big labor declutter for one item.  My son's home from college for the break and wanted the old recliner chair that's made it's way out of every room in our house (nobody wanted it so it would move to whatever room didn't have someone currently in it to defend the territory).  He asked me if he could trash it and I said yes.  Put it in the basement and I'll dismantle it for recycling as much as possible.  Well, we heat our house partly with a wood furnace so as I pulled the thing apart, the hardwood frame was thrown piece by piece into the furnace.  Free heat, yay!  The screws, bolts, nuts all went into the metal recycle bin and the steel recliner mechanism and springs went in with them.  There is fabric, foam and padding that's going to be trashed but a good 80% of the weight is now converted to heat or being recycled.  Less clutter!

THIS is seriously mustachian.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4196 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:26 PM »
Someone picked up all the leftover pregnancy and ovulation tests I have. (I don't think we are trying again, but they technically expire before I do.) Space saved under the sink, and I got $25 :) 
That's basically what I paid, so it's like the ones I used were free.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4197 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
You all keep inspiring me.

Sorted and recycled so much junk mail.

Cleaned up last semesters notes and got supplies ready for this semester (salvaged plenty of notebook paper from 10-15 year old notebooks and journals I am tossing)

Sent some books back to the library.

Consolidated some things in the closet and freestanding cupboard. Doing some rearranging to make sure things are accessible and efficient.

Started a new bag of things for goodwill, a dress, wrong color pantyhose, a pair of shoes.

Built some more custom sized storage boxes to fit in the cupboard and make better use of the space. Better aesthetic helps ease the mind as well.

Tossed an old bottle of tanning lotion.

I prepped a pile of photos and things to scan and toss when I get my new thrift shop scanner going.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4198 on: January 06, 2017, 04:23:35 PM »
Woohoo! My dad is coming by to pick up our old fridge that they're going to use. It's been delayed by 2 winter storms now. Garage space incoming.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4199 on: January 06, 2017, 04:31:58 PM »
Filled a bag with garbage from the garage.

Tossed a spare mesh bag for goggles. (Why we have a spare is beyond me. It's not like we really need one, let alone two.)

Topped up bottles of liquid hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, surface spray, etc, from the large bottles and tossed a couple of empties.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!