Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850101 times)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4100 on: December 29, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »
Tris, I would give yourself permission to put it in the regular trash. The powers that be have said it doesn't get recycled if you put it in the recycling (wtf I know) so you won't actually be making anything worse. If there's not enought room in your bin, do you have an outdoor area or friends house where you might be able to have a little bonfire and burn it? Huge stack could be gone in 15 minutes and VERY secure :) Again, not the perfect environmental solution but you have tried your best.

I've got some drawers and a lamp going via free cycle this weekend. Need to tackle the new linen cupboard next week now that we have finally got everything into it and get rid of all the 'just in case' stuff. With a clothes dryer as a back up plan, there's no need to keep more than the 2 nicest sets for each bed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:09:21 PM by chasingthegoodlife »

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #4101 on: December 29, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
Hi Tris, if you know anyone with a Bokashi bin, worm farm or compost they might be able to take small amounts of shredded paper?

I know it's more work, but for future statements, could you remove and shred the vital details from the top and recycle the rest? What a pain.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4102 on: December 29, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
I threw out / donated / listed so much clothing yesterday that we now have space in a cupboard to store all our jackets and shoes. Will make a huge difference to the tidiness of the house.

Today, it's books and hopefully bathroom/ makeup products if time.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4103 on: December 29, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
I got rid of SO MUCH stuff in 2015 and continued working at it in 2016, but with a lot less effort. I thought I'd worked my way down to the essentials and my house and heart felt much lighter. Well recently I've been clearing out the storage/spare/computer room and I've eliminated more things, and moved most things to other locations, and I feel cramped again!! The spare room is now completely empty, minus a computer I'm selling to a friend next week, but the rest of the house, and especially the garage reminds me just how much STUFF I still have.

I'm hoping to declutter enough to fit everything into a small camper, and I'm realizing this week that I have a LONG way to go!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4104 on: December 29, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »
Is anyone else decluttering to help with mildew?  I started this thread if anyone has ideas:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/cheaper-and-greener-ways-to-stop-mildew-in-wardrobes/msg1356370/#msg1356370

It's a particular problem to humid areas as far as I know.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #4105 on: December 29, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
I finally got rid of an older Xbox we no longer used. I didn't get much money for it, but just reminded myself that $14 is better than the $0 I had when it was sitting unused on the shelf.

I also did a major purge of my (large) craft closet. Some of the things were for hobbies I had once and no longer do (like making mosaics) and some were things where I needed ONE and could only buy A LOT (like buttons/beads/Popsicle sticks/etc). My husband even asked "What if we need it?" and my response was "I would probably wind up going out to buy more because I didn't even remember that I had most of this." Which is true enough.

I'm having a hard time with photos, and not even sentimental photos of friends and family. For several years I was into photography as one of my hobbies (which I hardly do anymore). I have TONS of albums and framed photos from those days and I don't know what to do with them. I'm tempted to throw them out as I rarely look at them, but once I open them, I start going "Oooh, I like that one.... That one's nice..." etc. I have several moving boxes full. I'd like to say that I'll scan them all to digital, but it's highly unlikely. I actually got a scanner years ago for film negatives. I think I did like three rolls of film and gave up. Something to work on, I guess.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4106 on: December 29, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
I've found someone to take my dresser and at least two bookshelves in exchange for something I need (a repair I'm not qualified for). Perfect!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4107 on: December 29, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
I Marie Kondo-ed our books today. We have a few hundred and I only wanted probably less than half. I was so proud that I even managed to let go some unread ones I'd bought that I know will never get read. Unfortunately DH wanted most of those I discarded including the unread ones that I bought that he knows nothing about and being a one book a year type of guy will never read them either :| We are getting rid of 25, none of which are sellable. But 25 out is better than none.

We still don't have an attractive storage solution so I'm putting them back where they were. It's a good job we aren't planning a move to a camper like some of you guys!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4108 on: December 30, 2016, 07:44:35 AM »
Due to a family emergency I did not have time to finish all of the pieces for my Christmas gifts, so I robbed my bookshelves and gave away half a dozen books too. Many by local authors, books I really liked but if I need them again I can find them again.  Until then my life is lighter.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4109 on: December 30, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:30:12 AM by RetiredAt63 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4110 on: December 30, 2016, 03:09:54 PM »
Two big bags of fabric scraps picked up today.  Glad to have them out of the house and not in the trash.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4111 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
Exchanged a sweater I got for Christmas that wouldn't have gotten worn. Got much needed jeans for DH instead.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4112 on: December 30, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »
I've been sorting books too.  The ones I want to hold on to are old ones that the library doesn't have, but some of them are old enough they are on Gutenberg.ca (I'm in Canada and respecting Canadian copyright limits - Australia has the same limits we do so I may also download from them).  If I can have an e-book version I am OK with donating the paper version.

Question: Has anyone downloaded Gutenberg books and if yes, what e-reader did you download to read them with?  I will be reading on a desktop (Windows 7) and a tablet (Android).

Related question: Also some slightly more recent ones are now on Kindle, but they cost, and I already own the paper version!  A lot are free on Amazon Kindle Prime.  Canadian Kindle Prime users, how easy is it to download lots and lots of free books and then get off Kindle Prime?  It is the only reason I would sign up for it.

On a "gone" note, all my Kathy Reichs and Dana Stabenow mysteries are in the donate pile.  A lot of my Tony Hillerman ones too (the ones the library has).  Progress.

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes – usually for students – and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4113 on: December 30, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
Got rid of a pair of shoes and five saucepans that don't work on induction plus a rusty wok. The space in the pan cupboard means that the slow cooker and chopping boards now have a proper home. DH chucked five magazines and a bike helmet. Together we are tackling another kitchen cupboard and have found a home for the blender and bread maker. The bread maker is used every other day but Marie Kondo told me to put it in a cupboard so I'm trying it. We are unstoppable.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4114 on: December 30, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »

I use Calibre to convert ebooks to mobi format. You can use Calibre to convert from any format to any other format, as far as I know - https://calibre-ebook.com/download

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #4115 on: December 30, 2016, 07:14:11 PM »
I'm offloading some furniture to my siblings as they move into a rental together. So far they're taking a couch and a full length mirror :D

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4116 on: December 30, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »
Five toys out the home! And we got back $100 for them. Also I'm finally ready to work through my lipstick stash and throw out ones I don't use anymore. Moved a shower lotion and body lotion to regular use - I'm finally starting to work through my second stash of cosmetics. At this rate, I think I'm set for atleast 2-3 years of lotions and shower gels.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4117 on: December 31, 2016, 01:51:31 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... drinking through my tea stash before I buy any new tea!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4118 on: December 31, 2016, 06:07:58 AM »

On Gutenberg books: Kindle is my preferred, and sometimes it's an option (.mobi files). Failing that, usually I'll convert a text or PDF file to kindle (email to your kindle device address with the subject line "convert" - instructions on Amazon if you search).  I like that format for readability, for exporting notes – usually for students – and for the ability to pick up and read where I left off on any kind of device. I have the Kindle app for Idevices, Android, and Windows.
Thanks Rural
A few were mobi files and are now on my Kindle.
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4119 on: December 31, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

Thanks Rural
Most of the books were html or text - I saved to Word.  If I save those Word documents to PDF this should work?  I just email to my Kindle address, subject line convert, and send the files as attachments?

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4120 on: December 31, 2016, 10:20:27 AM »
Probably. I think the Fedex stores here do that. I've gotta admit, though, I'm kind of pissed that I have a perfectly good shredder that I now apparently cannot use.

Recycling in Chicago is widely thought of as a joke anyway. We're pretty behind the times compared to other large cities, from what I've read. The city makes it difficult and expensive to recycle; our building doesn't even have a bin because we're 5 units and the city only provides bins for 2-4 unit buildings. Otherwise the landlord has to pay for it, and apparently ours doesn't want to. (so, um, I throw my recycling into the bin of the building next door. Yes, it's illegal, but with no car I can't haul all this stuff to a recycling center.)

Do you know anyone with a fireplace or a burn barrel?

I've been out of the decluttering game for a bit, but I've got a few days off and it's cold AF outside, so I'll be housebound and tidying a bit. 

Texted with someone this morning who is sending her husband to purchase a ski jacket I posted on Craigslist last week.  I gave up on skiing, and this jacket is white, a color I'm unqualified to wear in daily life due to my inability  to  keep things nice.  It's been  taunting me from  the coat closet for a couple years now.  I did a round of eBay for some excess horse equipment a few weeks ago but only sold two out of ten items.  I'll get everything I want to sell cleaned and photographed and try again in the spring.  I also have about five saddle pads set aside to give away, and need to add a few other things to freecycle to fellow horse people.

Recently I went through my garden seeds and discarded anything that was old, and empty envelopes that somehow made their way back into storage.  Also have a large box of clothes, shoes and random items  ready to be donated and will certainly find things to add over the next few days.

I went through my home-canned goods a couple months ago and prioritized using up  previous years' supplies.  Need to drop off a food donation I purchased before Thanksgiving and didn't manage to get onto the food bank truck in time.  Will probably find some other things lurking around the house to add to that box as well.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4121 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »
Tris, I would give yourself permission to put it in the regular trash. The powers that be have said it doesn't get recycled if you put it in the recycling (wtf I know) so you won't actually be making anything worse. If there's not enought room in your bin, do you have an outdoor area or friends house where you might be able to have a little bonfire and burn it? Huge stack could be gone in 15 minutes and VERY secure :) Again, not the perfect environmental solution but you have tried your best.

This thread comes to a similar conclusion - in many cases recycling does as more or more damage to the environment than tossing stuff in the trash: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/recycling-debate/

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4122 on: December 31, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

Thanks Rural

Yes.  Apparently, you can also send other document formats (like Word) and read them in kindle, but sending a PDF with the convert command gives you access to more of the Kindle functions. Here's a link:

There's also an app that will convert various ebook files to other formats. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to. It's called Calibre.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4123 on: December 31, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »
It worked!

As you said, from a pdf I got full Kindle, text size changes, etc.  I never email kindle so I had to find my email address first  ;-)

I wish I had done this while I was still working, it would have been nice to take online journal papers and "kindleize" them so they were easy to read on a laptop or tablet.

Thanks Rural

Fabulous! Yes, I've done it for a lot of things for work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4124 on: January 02, 2017, 01:58:20 AM »
I've decided to try The Minimalism Game with my husband and kids (aged 9 and up) in preparation for moving in the spring. Printed off a January calendar for each of us. Will modify for kids where they do 1 item the first day, 2 the second day, etc and then start back on day 1 for each week of the month.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4125 on: January 02, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
I tried the minimalist game in December, but I had trouble sticking to the low numbers. It went something like this: 1, 2, 3, 584...

Once the ball was rolling, I couldn't stop.

I'm at a pause right now only because the CDs I want to get rid of are behind some heavy things I can't move, and my husband is sick, so I want to wait to ask him for help after he feels better.

Yesterday, though, I made incredible progress in the file cabinet of college memories. I'm down to one drawer, not completely filled, and the rest I'm putting into a plastic storage bin so I can get rid of the file cabinet. That takes considerably less room, so I don't feel bad about hanging onto what I'm keeping. My guess is I can still probably cut it in half, but not right now. I know when I'm beaten.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4126 on: January 02, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Friend came over for a craft day yesterday. She left with a giant bag stuffed with fabric. I let her dig through the bins and take whatever she wanted.  Some of it was my "favorites" but I have too much, so I didn't wince and let it go.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4127 on: January 02, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... drinking through my tea stash before I buy any new tea!!

+1. I have a Serious Tea Problem. And some of it I don't even like. I think I'm taking the stuff I don't like to work; I'll set it out in the lunchroom and someone will drink it.

I'm still working on the filing cabinet. I have tossed more greeting cards, utility bills from three apartments ago, and a whole file folder of bills and statements for my last cat's final illness (he died in 2011).

Not certain about whether I should keep some paperwork. Like, do I need the bill of sale from a car I sold privately more than 15 years ago? I'm thinking not, but is there some reason I'd need to prove I don't own it any more? And, what about certificates of creditable coverage from the health insurance I had at past jobs? I have a whole stack of these, because at most of my past jobs our insurance carrier changed annually since the companies were small and trying to outrun big premium increases. Am I OK with just keeping the most recent of these, or in a Trump presidency am I going to have to prove that I never had a gap in coverage, if I lose my job and have to go on whatever Obamacare is replaced with?

Struggling with what to do with my "attagirl" folder - basically, thank-you notes I got when I was a lifestyle reporter for a tiny newspaper in the suburbs, performance reviews from past jobs, other evidence that I did well at long-ago jobs. There is a lot and the folder is pretty thick. I don't have a scanner or else I'd just scan everything and toss the originals. Phone photos, maybe?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #4128 on: January 02, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
I haven't even thought about tea yet! I have so much, and now I'm on medication that doesn't allow me any caffeine. I think I'll donate it to the work lounge.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4129 on: January 02, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »

+1. I have a Serious Tea Problem. And some of it I don't even like. I think I'm taking the stuff I don't like to work; I'll set it out in the lunchroom and someone will drink it.

I'm still working on the filing cabinet. I have tossed more greeting cards, utility bills from three apartments ago, and a whole file folder of bills and statements for my last cat's final illness (he died in 2011).

Not certain about whether I should keep some paperwork. Like, do I need the bill of sale from a car I sold privately more than 15 years ago? I'm thinking not, but is there some reason I'd need to prove I don't own it any more? And, what about certificates of creditable coverage from the health insurance I had at past jobs? I have a whole stack of these, because at most of my past jobs our insurance carrier changed annually since the companies were small and trying to outrun big premium increases. Am I OK with just keeping the most recent of these, or in a Trump presidency am I going to have to prove that I never had a gap in coverage, if I lose my job and have to go on whatever Obamacare is replaced with?

Struggling with what to do with my "attagirl" folder - basically, thank-you notes I got when I was a lifestyle reporter for a tiny newspaper in the suburbs, performance reviews from past jobs, other evidence that I did well at long-ago jobs. There is a lot and the folder is pretty thick. I don't have a scanner or else I'd just scan everything and toss the originals. Phone photos, maybe?

Genius Scan is the app my work has us use. Converts scans to PDFs and saves them. The other option is evernote. I've used both and love them both. =) Good luck. I think "attagirl" folders are great. I keep mine too- clinical and work reviews, thank you notes, that sort of thing.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #4130 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Visiting my parents yesterday I let them know I am taking a load to the reuse centre and asked what I can take for them. Went away with a bag from them and a commitment that both our families will go through more items for the next donation load.

I'm finding it much easier to put aside a few items each day by having some dedicated 'collection' boxes for donate, re-use centre, and a 'burn' box. My next project will probably be a swap with friends to get rid of some nicer items. I don't really need or want anything new though - so may be more work than it's worth.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #4131 on: January 02, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
I went through two moving sized boxes of old photos and managed to get rid of one of them. These were photos of people I thought it desperately important to take pictures of when I was in middle school and high school, but now I can't even tell you their names or why I would know them. Still plenty of pictures left to go through, but huge progress.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4132 on: January 02, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
I went through two moving sized boxes of old photos and managed to get rid of one of them. These were photos of people I thought it desperately important to take pictures of when I was in middle school and high school, but now I can't even tell you their names or why I would know them. Still plenty of pictures left to go through, but huge progress.

Just did the same thing with my digital photos.  If there aren't any people that are immediate family members or close friends in the photo, it's gone.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #4133 on: January 02, 2017, 07:03:33 PM »
Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work. Planning to do the same with groceries we have accidentally doubled up on and won't get through in the next year (eg two huge bottles of fish sauce when one has lasted us two years already).

Need to do a wardrobe sweep now I have switched to summer clothes and pass on anything that no longer suits. Maybe tonight.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #4134 on: January 02, 2017, 07:04:09 PM »
Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work. Planning to do the same with groceries we have accidentally doubled up on and won't get through in the next year (eg two huge bottles of fish sauce when one has lasted us two years already).

Need to do a wardrobe sweep now I have switched to summer clothes and pass on anything that no longer suits. Maybe tonight.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4135 on: January 02, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
By means of donating, giving to friends, throwing out, and depositing, I have offloaded a TV, a couple of chargers, two small models, a bag of clothes, and a bowl full of change.

I cleared unopened bottles of wine, champagne and soft drink from my fridge and stashed them in a cupboard. The booze will likely be regifted.

Took all the unopened  Christmas sweets and snacks we don't like into work.

I love this idea! Waste not...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4136 on: January 02, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »
Brought some of the Christmas leftover snacks to my ILs when we visited this weekend. New place and they had no food. So it's a win-win.

On the other hand, my mom visited... and brought a box full of Christmas decor >.<

mrsstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4137 on: January 02, 2017, 07:45:23 PM »
Jumping in. Today, got rid of some old shoes, cosmetics, miscellaneous stuff that wasn't being used. Not a ton of stuff, but you've got to start somewhere, right? I'm aiming to do a little every day until my life is clutter free.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4138 on: January 02, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Jumping in. Today, got rid of some old shoes, cosmetics, miscellaneous stuff that wasn't being used. Not a ton of stuff, but you've got to start somewhere, right? I'm aiming to do a little every day until my life is clutter free.

That's a great start, mrsstache. Keep up the good work.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4139 on: January 02, 2017, 07:56:04 PM »
I have got rid of a bag of kitchen things for free on FB - well nearly - someone needs to pick them up. I find when I give away free stuff people are quite flaky, not turning up, or saying that they want something on a public post but not expending the energy to message me to find out the pick up address. Awkward.

I've now freed up a kitchen drawer which in the long run will mean we can have an under-sink in-cupboard bin. We don't really have floorspace for a bin so it kind of gets in the way.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #4140 on: January 02, 2017, 08:50:31 PM »

I am starting the year off with the Minimalism Game. On the first day of January I got rid of one thing. Today I donated two things. Tomorrow, three things. So on and so on until at the end of the month I will find 30 things to dispose of on the 30th. I try to sell, donate, or recycle things first, and only toss what can't be reused.

Why not join in? It is fun to report on your progress.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4141 on: January 02, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
I've now freed up a kitchen drawer which in the long run will mean we can have an under-sink in-cupboard bin. We don't really have floorspace for a bin so it kind of gets in the way.

Awesome. Love when decluttering results in a win like that.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4142 on: January 02, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »
Rearranged the crib area, got rid of some boxes and covers and got all paper to one area that I'll go through tomorrow. Also set to clear up two closets tomorrow.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4143 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »

I kept wearing them around the house. The elastic gave out so much I was using a hair elastic to ratchet them on. Then there was a bleach incident and the holey khaki fabric became white and pink at the ankles.

It was time.

:(

My husband brought me some trousers to 'mend' yesterday. He was like, "there's a hole here, if you could just patch it. But maybe extend the patch up? It's already thin here". I asked about the other leg, I had already patched it, but where the patch ended it was weak and maybe they needed a further strenghtening patch there. And since I was already at it, this part needs reinforcing too.

In the end I was like, "so basically just make you a new pair of trousers, but inside this pair?". Apparently they are his favourites.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4144 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
Sold another item on Craigslist yesterday.  I still have a few things listed but they fell way down so I will repost them this week.  Got the new Marie Kondo book from the library to give me some fresh motivation to continue with my efforts. 

I am planning to put together another batch of clothing for consignment this week.  There are definitely things in my closet that I don't wear.

jordanread

« Reply #4145 on: January 03, 2017, 09:44:19 AM »
It worked!

Thanks Rural

Fabulous! Yes, I've done it for a lot of things for work.

If any of you need assistance with Calibre, I can help. I've been using it and my kindle (and tablets) consistently for over 5 years. I've yet to find anything it can't do. I have over 6000 books in my library.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4146 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

What would you all do? Has anyone dealt with this?

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4147 on: January 03, 2017, 11:03:46 AM »
Does anyone else have parents who keep giving you their (mostly worthless) stuff to sell online? I've got a couple rubbermaid bins of Stuff from my mother. She has expressed to me that she does NOT want it donated or given away; she wants money for it. Ugh.

I've hauled this Stuff through the last two moves and we're hoping to move again in spring. I do not want to haul it through yet another move. I have had this stuff listed on Craigslist, ebay, Facebook yard sale groups, etc. for literally years and I've now given up. No one wants to pay money for this. Of course, my mother will not believe this because "they're collectibles! They're worth something!" She cannot sell it herself online as she doesn't have a computer, smartphone, or Internet service, and her HOA doesn't allow yard sales so she can't sell it in person.

I only took this stuff from her in the first place because she has hoarding tendencies and I was happy to see her willing to let stuff leave her house. Now it's in MY house and I can't seem to get anyone to buy it!

The way I see it, my options (other than continue hanging onto it, which will piss off Boyfriend) are:

- Give it all back to her. I no longer have a car, and it's too much to haul onto public transport, so this would mean renting (and paying for) a car to get it to her. I would really rather not do this. Her house is full to bursting as it is.

- Donate it and don't tell her. She's got a memory like an elephant, though, and often asks me about stuff she gave me literally decades ago. (and I think it's likely that eventually she'll ask for it back, in which case I'll have to do option 1.....)

- Donate it and tell her. This will result in repeated angry phone calls in which she screams and cries at me for not respecting her things.

- Donate it, tell her I sold it, and give her the money she wants for it. This is sort of what I'm leaning toward, mainly because she's in pretty dire financial straits and I can afford it. But man, it would piss me off to pay her to get rid of this crap. (This would also encourage her to give me yet MORE crap to sell "because you're so good at it!" and I really don't want to do this any more.)

Tell her that you can't sell the stuff and if she doesn't pick it up by [some reasonable date in the future] that you're going to donate it. Then follow through.

Lying will just encourage her to give you more stuff.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4148 on: January 03, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
Tell her that you can't sell the stuff and if she doesn't pick it up by [some reasonable date in the future] that you're going to donate it. Then follow through.

Lying will just encourage her to give you more stuff.

Yeah, she won't come to me. I live in the Big Scary City where there is Crime so therefore she will not drive here. I wish she would come pick it up.... but she won't. I do worry that if I lied and said it sold, I'd just be encouraging more Crap to come into my house. (sometimes she mails it to me, as she will not drive to my apartment -- ugh.) You've definitely got a good point there.

If I tell her I am donating it, I'll just have to be prepared for a whole torrent of verbal abuse to be unleashed at me. I guess that's all part of the hoarding behavior... people who hoard care more about their things than about others. :(

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4149 on: January 03, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »

I would send her a letter: cuts down on the opportunity for her to scream at you.  Put in the letter that you have her stuff, that you have been unable to sell it despite your best efforts (and set them all out), that you will not be able to take it with you when you move in the spring.  Tell her that you have for a last time listed it on [Craigslist] but if it doesn't sell, then unless she collects it by [date a month before you move] you will dispose of it by the means available to you at the time.

Best you can do in the circumstances, I think.