Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850121 times)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3950 on: November 22, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
DH's closet refresh continues.  He identified 15 t-shirts to let go. His side of the closet looks AMAZING. He also found winter pjs from last year....that hadn't been washed. (Eww gross.)

FIRE house - basement demo was completed and we threw away 2 big black trash bags of remaining items that had been in there and the final nails/bits from the walls.  Now that protruding nails are not a problem, we were finally able to move the construction supplies from the main level back to the basement without worrying about someone tripping and catching themselves on an exposed nail.

Found about 2 large plastic bins full of unused construction stuff to return to various stores if possible...if not, it will go to ReStore.  Threw out one large plastic trash bag of broken toys/games/etc.  The house looks so much better.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3951 on: November 23, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »
I hosted a clothing swap and now have tons of stuff left over (I didn't insist on people removing their not-taken stuff). I've sorted it into different bags but without a car to easily ferry, it's all sitting in my bedroom! So I need to commit to going home after work starting next week and taking the bags out to their various new homes for donation. 

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #3952 on: November 23, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
Went thru the Christmas decorations today.  Downsized from two tubs to one by getting rid of anything we didn't absolutely love.  I adore my minimalist decorations - always had them, but they were hidden in all the extra crap we collected over the years.   

We got rid of our tree two years ago.  Didn't want to buy and store another fake tree.  They take up too much space and can end up smelling musty.  And I don't like the idea of cutting down real trees for Christmas since they end up in the trash after Christmas.  What a waste.  So I'm going to use a plastic table top tree that I got from my grandmother when she passed away.  It is the cutest retro 50s tree and brings me joy to think of her and remember that tree in my grandma's house and all the other Christmas memories. 

Now our decorations are meaningful to us and reflect our personality and style.  Perfect.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3953 on: November 24, 2016, 12:39:40 AM »
I tackled two thirds of the filing cabinet of doom yesterday.  It was the home to a whole host of paperwork which was relevant once upon a time.  I filled our recycling bin and will attack the remainder once it gets emptied on Monday.

Highlights included a hotel booking confirmation from a friends wedding in 2010 and some store card statements from 2008.

I also closed an old bank account and two credit cards I'd forgotten about.

It feels like the weight of that pile of papers has been lifted from me, I hadn't realised how anxious I was about sorting it out (I've been putting it off for years and just adding to it).

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3954 on: November 24, 2016, 03:24:16 AM »
Another car load out today. A old push mower, books, cushions, various no longer used linen items,  and clothes. Just how did I mange to accumulate so much stuff.  Aiming for 1 load a month.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3955 on: November 25, 2016, 03:33:26 AM »
I don't know if this counts, as I haven't actually got rid of it... but I've downgraded it.

I was hanging up clean laundry when I noticed a series of holes in a bottom sheet. I gave it to DH straight away who needed a dust sheet for a messy job. So it's out of my linen cupboard, but still on the property. Felt good anyway, usually I'd hang onto it but not use it. No more!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3956 on: November 25, 2016, 06:43:14 AM »
I don't know if this counts, as I haven't actually got rid of it... but I've downgraded it.

I was hanging up clean laundry when I noticed a series of holes in a bottom sheet. I gave it to DH straight away who needed a dust sheet for a messy job. So it's out of my linen cupboard, but still on the property. Felt good anyway, usually I'd hang onto it but not use it. No more!

We used old sheets to rake up leaves - rake leaves into pile, rake onto sheet, gather up sheet, dump in woods, repeat.  Very efficient.  Reuse is the second R in the 3 Rs after all.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3957 on: November 25, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
Loaded some stuff into the car and drove it to its new home. I'm finding the more I do this, the easier it is getting.

I still have a certain amount of weird guilt when it comes to getting rid of gifts I never liked. I keep asking myself, "Do I love this? Do I really LOVE this?" and a lot of times, the answer is NO.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3958 on: November 28, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
Loaded some stuff into the car and drove it to its new home. I'm finding the more I do this, the easier it is getting.

So true, it's a virtuous cycle, you get rid of stuff, you see how good it (and the space it created) feels, you get rid of more stuff. It's really starting to have an effect on my husband as well now. He's getting so much better at letting things go having seen what a difference it made for me.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3959 on: November 28, 2016, 08:42:54 AM »
I have permission from DH to send Xmas tree to the recycle after this year. It's on its 11th year of service, and we will be doing LED next year (and going smaller with the size as well).  Less to store, less to put away.

The new trees plug into each other via the trunk, so I envision plastic wrapping each section upstairs, walking the sections from upstairs to the basement fully decorated but plastic wrapped, and then just hauling the tree sections up again the next year and unwrapping carefully. I have a friend that has done this for the past two years. Our current tree is too large to do this with, but a smaller tree will be able to do this.

In anticipation of this, I got rid of all the ornaments I didn't LOVE this year.  The tree is slightly barer than I would like, but I am holding out until next year.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3960 on: November 28, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
As part of our 10-year plan, DH and I found a house out in the country we really like over the weekend.   This means we'll put our current home on the market.  The new house is smaller, but is on acreage.   I filled another box to be donated with an almost full set of DH's dishes from before we started living together, a random, unused water bottle, small plastic measuring cup, a coffee mug, a large, unopened bottle of apple juice leftover from our Halloween party and an unopened box of hot chocolate envelopes from last year for the food bank, and a few other random kitchen items.  Compared to our current location, the new kitchen has approx 4 less cupboards and no pantry.

And I'll give a never used, very nice Coleman thermos to someone for Christmas.  :)

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3961 on: November 28, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
Recycled a pile of old college term papers today. Donated some local history books to the library. And decided to bring a gift I got for Xmas last year to our office's annual Secret Santa.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3962 on: November 29, 2016, 03:53:54 PM »
More books are gone! and some cheap plastic containers went into the recycle bin.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3963 on: November 29, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
I am trying to compress 6 file drawers into 4 (or fewer).  I am doing a lot of shredding.  I am at the car paperwork - I am keeping all my maintenance records, and of course registration, but insurance policies - I don't need them going back forever, do I?  Same with house insurance, I would assume this year's and last year's is enough?

(I'm in Canada, if that matters).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3964 on: November 29, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
I am trying to compress 6 file drawers into 4 (or fewer).  I am doing a lot of shredding.  I am at the car paperwork - I am keeping all my maintenance records, and of course registration, but insurance policies - I don't need them going back forever, do I?  Same with house insurance, I would assume this year's and last year's is enough?

(I'm in Canada, if that matters).

I tend to keep a few years, so that sounds right about to me.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3965 on: November 29, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »
I keep the current one and digital copies of last two years

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3966 on: November 30, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
I never know what kind of papers to keep. Is there a good guide to that somewhere?

Like, how long do you keep credit card bills after they're paid.

More books to the library!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3967 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Collected items to take to children's resale shop:

* Huge bag of 0-3 baby clothes.
* Smaller bag of 3yo clothes.
* This year's Halloween costumes
* Collection of gifted new "lovies"
* Train sets (2)

Pulled out two diaper bags we were gifted to try to resell on eBay.
Pulled out a never-worn (how did I miss it!) Janie & Jack newborn outfit to try to resell on eBay.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3968 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »

Get enrolled in online billing. Then my answer is never.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3969 on: November 30, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
I do pay all my bills online, but I feel better having them mailed to my house. Usually I try to shred them after a year goes by. So maybe that's what I ought to aim for.

Get enrolled in online billing. Then my answer is never.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3970 on: December 02, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »
I do pay all my bills online, but I feel better having them mailed to my house. Usually I try to shred them after a year goes by. So maybe that's what I ought to aim for.

What makes you feel better about having them mailed to the house? Security-wise I would think this is riskier as people can get into your mail (and the copies are already in your email presumably, so it's just another point of weakness). Or am I missing something?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3971 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:52 AM »

What makes you feel better about having them mailed to the house? Security-wise I would think this is riskier as people can get into your mail (and the copies are already in your email presumably, so it's just another point of weakness). Or am I missing something?
Even if you have copies mailed to you, your statements are available on line, I believe.  Log in and check how far back they go.  And then shred the paper ones. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3972 on: December 02, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
+1 for e-statements

~~~~~~~~~~~

The getting-ready-to-stage-the-house and move project continues.  Last night I tossed 6 expired container of spices, put a duplicate, unopened container of nutmeg into the donation box, and DH donated a stack of magazines to a friend's son stationed overseas.  :)

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #3973 on: December 02, 2016, 04:40:24 PM »
After reading a large part of this thread, I'm finally posting to it.

I've been trying to downsize our crap for a while. Our last house was ~1700 sq ft, but when we moved to our current house, we bought a bigger one (what were we thinking?), so our house is now closer to 2100 sq ft. Every where I look there is just so much stuff on every surface. I came to this conclusion about 6 months ago, and I've been doing my best to declutter every since. I think I've taken somewhere around six full SUV loads worth of stuff to Goodwill, with plenty more to go.

Some stuff is easier for me (I'm not a sentimental person, so old birthday cards and school projects from elementary school went straight into the trash). Other stuff, usually hobby related, is harder. I'm working on it. I'm trying to work around to selling a bunch of old photography gear on Ebay, but I haven't gotten very far. To date, I have taken inventory of all the stuff I don't use (it was three pages long) and plan to try to price everything out before I attempt to sell it.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3974 on: December 04, 2016, 05:41:55 AM »
Just ditched 2 broken photo frames and rearranged our charging station for tablet & phones. Found the keys for the windows in the process, lucky I found them before summer really hit!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3975 on: December 04, 2016, 05:46:38 AM »
Today I gave away all my religious Christmas decorations, some Easter decorations, two lamps and a knickknack. Woot! I love my Buy Nothing group.

Anytime I think I've got rid of the last knickknack, I find another one...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3976 on: December 04, 2016, 07:12:45 AM »

They have a hidden breeding ground, and the young and reckless venture out into the house where you can find them.

I figured this out when I kept finding more things after I knew I had purged - I think they found where the hangers breed and settled next to them.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #3977 on: December 04, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »

They have a hidden breeding ground, and the young and reckless venture out into the house where you can find them.

I figured this out when I kept finding more things after I knew I had purged - I think they found where the hangers breed and settled next to them.

I may have to move. My hangars must keep relocating somewhere else; I have to keep restocking them, even as I have fewer clothes each year.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3978 on: December 04, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
I found a stack of Natural History magazines from 2000 and I dropped them off at my kids' piano teacher, who took them gladly. His waiting room needs some "new" material. I have to admit I do have a problem if I can't just throw away 16 year old magazines!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3979 on: December 04, 2016, 10:51:23 AM »
Decided I had way too many under t-shirts going.  Took an inventory and cut it down to about to about half of what it was.  Cut up the old ones for rags.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3980 on: December 04, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
Jumping in again. Shredded some papers over the weekend, and recycled some others. I couldn't for the life of me understand why I was holding on to some of them.

I'm going to look into the e-statements thing. I've already done it with two bank accounts. Thanks for being the voice of logic!

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3981 on: December 04, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
I took some stuff to SVDP today!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3982 on: December 04, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
I've started another round of the Minimalist Game.

More than 20 things gone on the weekend.

One camera bag will sell on eBay this week, that's a big thing to have out of the house. Still have a few things to list.

I need to join a Buy Nothing group so I can flood them with donations.

And I've contacted our building manager to ask about council clean-up in December or January.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3983 on: December 04, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »
I need to join a Buy Nothing group so I can flood them with donations.

There's also freecycle, which I think is more active in some areas. Freecycle wasn't user friendly enough for me; my local Buy Nothing group is run as a facebook page and thus is super easy.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3984 on: December 04, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
Put a stack of Sesame Street books in our Little Free Library, and since someone recently added a free shirt, I put out two onesies we were sent as part of a freebie kit. They are already too small for my 3mo but someone with a newborn would appreciate them.

Also packed a bag of "easy reader" books to donate to my son's school. I have started volunteering at my son's school and while most of the kids in his one-room schoolhouse are reading very well, there are two younger kids who are struggling and I think part of the problem is lack of quality reading material at their level (past Bob books but before denser chapter books).

Also posted some newborn cloth diapers for sale on eBay. Wish me luck.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #3985 on: December 05, 2016, 06:09:07 AM »

We used old sheets to rake up leaves - rake leaves into pile, rake onto sheet, gather up sheet, dump in woods, repeat.  Very efficient.  Reuse is the second R in the 3 Rs after all.

This is genius! Going to try this next time.

This thread inspired me to clean out 2 filing cabinets yesterday. I got rid of a few pounds of papers and old journal articles I will never read again.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3986 on: December 05, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
Shredded a big bag of paper this morning - some old CC and bank statements and a whole bunch of receipts and random things.

Other than that, I haven't really done any other decluttering recently.  I'm focused on using up things I have and taking a break until I know when I'm moving and what I'm taking with me and what I need to get rid of.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #3987 on: December 05, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »
More books to donate to the local library, plus some old papers. My, I do seem to like to collect papers.

I found some printouts from a web page design course I took online in 2009. Surely the stuff must be outdated by now! Into the recycle bin it goes.

Izybat

• Stubble
« Reply #3988 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
I'm stuck on how to get rid of items that are semi-personal, or personalized. For example, we have a blanket that was given to us for our wedding, which is not to my taste. The problem is that it has our names and wedding date on it. We've never used it, so it's in perfect condition, but it feels totally weird to give away something with our names on it. I have other similar items that I don't know what to do with. Thoughts?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3989 on: December 05, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »
I'm stuck on how to get rid of items that are semi-personal, or personalized. For example, we have a blanket that was given to us for our wedding, which is not to my taste. The problem is that it has our names and wedding date on it. We've never used it, so it's in perfect condition, but it feels totally weird to give away something with our names on it. I have other similar items that I don't know what to do with. Thoughts?

If it's monogrammed using thread, you may be able to unpick the thread.

And this is why I don't do monogramming.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3990 on: December 05, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »

What is the blanket made from? Could you cut off the monogrammed section and run a new seam, then give it away?

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3991 on: December 05, 2016, 11:30:05 PM »

Maybe donate it to a local dog/cat shelter? I assure you that a dog couldn't care less about your names and wedding date as long as he gets a soft blanket :)

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #3992 on: December 06, 2016, 10:39:23 AM »
Couldn't possibly have read through the entire thread, but enjoy the concepts discussed. On my decluttering efforts, I have found a couple truths:

1. Settling (dealing with) the physical contents of an estate instills a desire to declutter. Things just aren't as valuable as your time.

2. My two sons want to play with everything that goes into the donate/throw away pile, which in turn puts most things into the throw away pile. I only hope my DS does not develop some hoarding tendencies as we get rid of so much unnecessary stuff.

3. Americans have absurd abundance.

And then I ask myself and DW, how do we become less wasteful and more efficient with space, time, and future purchases?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3993 on: December 06, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
I'm in Christmas card mode (yes, I understand that being a hard-core decutterer while sending people something they will almost certainly throw away in three weeks leaves me wide open).

My little nephews are very excited about Christmas, and they're also at an age where they love receiving mail. I have a few stray blank cards leftover from previous years, all in different designs, so I'm sending a few to my nephews. A countdown to Christmas and a little message about some of the the things we will do when I visit (Nerf wars? Oh yes!)

So that declutters the card box.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3994 on: December 06, 2016, 02:01:01 PM »

My MIL made us a horribly tacky non-functional wedding "thing" (it was not large enough to call it a blanket, had tons of ugly badly done embroidery and little tassels and trinkets sewn all over it). She'd put our names and marriage date in the center. I got a small pair of nail scissors and cut all the name stuff off and donated it as the fabric might have been useful to someone that sews.

As long as it doesn't have your images on it or phone/address... remove whatever personalization if you can and donate, if you can't then donate it to a thrift shop that isn't in your friend/family member's area. That's what we do anyway. ;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:21:53 PM by Frankies Girl »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3995 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:10 PM »
Jumping in again. Shredded some papers over the weekend, and recycled some others. I couldn't for the life of me understand why I was holding on to some of them.

I'm going to look into the e-statements thing. I've already done it with two bank accounts. Thanks for being the voice of logic!

I used to be really spooked at the idea of e-statements and not having a paper trail. But then I did start doing all of online and the forms, statements and everything possible is neatly organized in my online accounts for each bank/utility/whatever. I'm now actually annoyed that my water district still hasn't made the jump to all for e-billing now! It is soooo much nicer to just have them email you your bill and then pop online and pay it and you can even set up reminders and alerts and schedule payments weeks in advance. You'll wonder why you didn't try it sooner. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3996 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm in Christmas card mode (yes, I understand that being a hard-core decutterer while sending people something they will almost certainly throw away in three weeks leaves me wide open).

My little nephews are very excited about Christmas, and they're also at an age where they love receiving mail. I have a few stray blank cards leftover from previous years, all in different designs, so I'm sending a few to my nephews. A countdown to Christmas and a little message about some of the the things we will do when I visit (Nerf wars? Oh yes!)

So that declutters the card box.

Just did cards for a niece and nephew myself :-) except they live in my 'hood, so I just walked over and popped the cards in their postbox.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3997 on: December 06, 2016, 02:53:23 PM »

Getting rid of the guilt ridden things people had given me really opened up my eyes to how I give things!  Most of the time it doesn't need to be stated but there have been a few times I made sure to tell family members that they only needed to keep my gift as long as they enjoyed it.  I will not be hurt when they let it go. 

Cards are really about an experience right?  It's about finding something fun in the middle of the junk mail.  It's about a joke or a warm sentiment.  For your nephews you are really building it into your visit.  It doesn't matter what happens with those pieces of paper after they have supplied the experience.

(or that's what I think anyway...)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3998 on: December 06, 2016, 04:12:11 PM »

Getting rid of the guilt ridden things people had given me really opened up my eyes to how I give things!  Most of the time it doesn't need to be stated but there have been a few times I made sure to tell family members that they only needed to keep my gift as long as they enjoyed it.  I will not be hurt when they let it go. 

Cards are really about an experience right?  It's about finding something fun in the middle of the junk mail.  It's about a joke or a warm sentiment.  For your nephews you are really building it into your visit.  It doesn't matter what happens with those pieces of paper after they have supplied the experience.

As I consider gifts and Christmas this year, I'm finding myself leaning strongly towards Christmas cards instead of gifts because I can make a nice card, write a note about our year and good wishes for them in it, and they can throw it out when Xmas is over! Of course I'd have trouble getting rid of cards if I received them, but shhh.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3999 on: December 07, 2016, 03:21:53 AM »

Absolutely.

And I try to keep the reverse in mind when triaging my own mail.

Do I expect people to keep every piece of mail I send them? No, and I would think it absurd if the did.
So I shouldn't feel compelled to keep everything I receive.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!