Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850128 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3800 on: October 07, 2016, 03:17:08 AM »
I FINALLY did it! I went through my college papers, including love poetry from ex's and photos of dead relatives and ALL that impossibly awful stuff I've put off for years.

Thank you guys.

Well done you! That sounds like a huge (and emotionally draining) task. Does it feel good to have it behind you?

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3801 on: October 07, 2016, 06:13:25 AM »
Cleaned out the entire garage in one day. And found a use for larger plastic plant pots - storage for one coiled outdoor electrical extension cord each. No more tangled mess.

There was quite a bit of stuff I had forgotten about for the yard sale - hedge trimmer I am afraid to use, huge space-sucking car battery charger for clunker car I no longer have.

Having a surprising amount of success with telling myself in a stern parental tone "You HAVE to" when facing big bad tasks. If I can just get started I get absorbed quickly and the result is always such a relief.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3802 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:03 AM »
I FINALLY did it! I went through my college papers, including love poetry from ex's and photos of dead relatives and ALL that impossibly awful stuff I've put off for years.

Thank you guys.

Well done you! That sounds like a huge (and emotionally draining) task. Does it feel good to have it behind you?

It does feel great. I'll probably need to take another pass down the road- I went from two bins down to one. The way I got through it was just deciding I wouldn't directly confront the really hard stuff. I would group them together, and move them to the top of the other box, so they can't "surprise me" in the future. I will know they're there, right from the get go. I put a sill poem from the ex on the top, as a reminder/warning, but not one with much emotional weight. This was really the only way I could make myself start, since I've managed to put it off for years.

My eventual goal is to move all the photos into a real album, and scan them into the computer too. And do the same with the few exams and essays I kept- scan them in with prof comments and everything. Then I would be down to just a few odds and ends (like old coins/foreign currencies). So there still a stuff to be done, but hopefully by rearranging it into chunks, the barrier to entry will be lower. It won't be a minefield in the same sense.

Funny enough, the way I got motivated to do it was watching videos of other people decluttering their closets on YouTube. Silly, but it worked!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3803 on: October 08, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
A whole van load of stuff left the garage yesterday - random bits of this and that. I still have lots to do but there is a noticeable difference in the house.  The basement is looking better and we may be able to park in the garage before the snow flies!

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #3804 on: October 08, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
Going through this process showed me how much money we wasted by buying stuff we didn't need/use over the years. Also, I realized that the bigger your house the more you accumulate. I didn't go to the extreme route but i have been getting rid of stuff almost everyday. We still have a long way to go. But, by the time we reach FI, we should get rid of everything we have so we can travel freely. Slow and steady always wins. :-)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3805 on: October 08, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

Thank you guys.

Good job!

Also, I am astounded you received love poetry. I have been married almost 20 years, but never, before or after I was married, have I received a poem. We lean towards the pragmatic, but a small part of me would love for my husband to even say, "I read this poem and thought of you."
It is a lovely thing that you have inspired poetry.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3806 on: October 08, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
I sold six music CDs. Donated two scarves, one good pair of wool socks, a pin, and seven paperbacks. Recycled a paper garbage bag of miscellaneous paper.

The work continues, because the clutter seems endless.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3807 on: October 08, 2016, 11:39:57 AM »

Thank you guys.

Good job!

Also, I am astounded you received love poetry. I have been married almost 20 years, but never, before or after I was married, have I received a poem. We lean towards the pragmatic, but a small part of me would love for my husband to even say, "I read this poem and thought of you."
It is a lovely thing that you have inspired poetry.

I guess it is pretty cool =) And part of why I keep them. The relationship was a complete wreck otherwise, that brought out awful parts of my personality that I don't like. But that was the pattern the relationship took- these volatile swoops up and down. We would have awful yelling matches, be the worst versions of ourselves, etc. But then we would make up, and he would write me poetry (I wrote quite a bit for him as well, although not nearly as good- he's published several pieces now). He literally commissioned some of his friends who are professional musicians, and played one part himself, and composed, sang, and recorded two songs for me. Really incredible from that perspective, and I do treasure those aspects of that relationship, but it was too volatile to be healthy for either of us. We're both married to other people now, and far better off for it. My husband and I are *much* more pragmatic. He once wrote "I love you, happy birthday" on the side of a coffee cup for me because we both dislike greeting cards =) It works for us. There aren't any mandolin-driven love songs, but my day to day life is peaceful and happy and something I am unfalteringly grateful for every day, five years later.

Maybe it's influenced by my own experiences, but I think all the romance novel big sweeping gestures are when we're trying to cover for our own uncertainties- we're trying to convince ourselves, and yell louder than our own hearts. What's that saying about the zealot being the one who holds the most doubts?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3808 on: October 10, 2016, 04:48:43 AM »
I did the 'switch' yesterday from summer clothes to winter. Well, I took the winter ones out, and put away a few freshly washed summer things, the rest will go away once they've been washed for the final time this year.

I was surprised (and, I admit, disappointed) by how few non-work winter clothes I have. I must have really culled last year, huh? And even worse, I don't -love- any of them, except one top which is now pilling :(

Well ha ha ha. Joke's on me. I haven't been as good at decluttering as I thought I had - this weekend I found the rest of my winter clothes!! I really thought I'd pulled them all out, until I realised I had no coat... That's when I found three bags at the bottom of my wardrobe.

So, it's actually kind of good news, because like I said I am short of winter clothes. But, wow, despite being 'short' on clothes, my wardrobe is bursting - how is that possible?

I still have some summer stuff in the mix, so I need to get that put away. Then I can cull / plan what I need. Tops are going to be my main focus. I'm set for dresses, for work and casual, but I have nothing to wear with skirts.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3809 on: October 11, 2016, 12:54:08 AM »
I now have one completely empty bedroom and in my bedroom I now have 3 empty draws (my draws all use to overflow with stuff as well as things in the now empty room)

Two more rooms to go (spare bedroom, loungeroom) and I am done

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3810 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
Update: already two of the books i listed have sold.
i'm going to go back thru my closet to purge cheap/disliked items.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3811 on: October 15, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
Tossed four packets of seeds.  I tried growing some fall spinach and none of it sprouted.  All the seeds were minimum 4 years ago, so out they go. 

Cleaned up the spinach failure, cleaned my potted plants and got them back in the house. 

Cooked a bean/grain mix that I just don't like. Only about 1 cup of the mix left. Waste not, want not. Can't wait to have that jar out of my cupboard.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:57:31 PM by PMG »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3812 on: October 15, 2016, 11:27:52 PM »
Out went 5 boxes of books and another bag of clothes.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3813 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:08 AM »
Had a yard sale yesterday with my neighbor. It was cold here is MA. But I got rid of all the big items I had cleaned out of the garage last week. I'll take it over the hassle of waiting for Craigslist pickups for each one.

If you live in NE though, and you want a big turnout, don't have your yard sale in October. Doh.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3814 on: October 16, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »
I have been cleaning out a large hall closet. It was intended as a linen closet, but I use it for miscellaneous storage.

My goal was to clear one shelf to provide extra pantry storage. The closet is right near the kitchen.

Mission accomplished. Two garbage bags of stuff discarded. I have also relocated some useful items that I had been trying to find: a cordless drill, 2 complete sets of screwdrivers, and a crowbar.

Much easier to find and use are: household tools, small camping and outdoor stuff, and painting stuff.

The two cats found this hugely entertaining. They find "stuff" very interesting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3815 on: October 17, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »
Intangible decluttering for me today.

I deleted more than 25,000 work emails.

And, in the process of preparing my 2017 diary, I got rutheless with which birthdays and anniversaries I copied in for next year.

I left out more than two dozen. Previously I noted everything, but today I decided I don't need the visual pollution (a phrase I have stolen gleefully from marty998).

Why put myself through the process of opening my diary of a morning, seeing a note about birthdays/anniversaries, reading it, thinking, "Oh, that's the wedding anniversary for friends I haven't seen for four years and who have since moved overseas?"

Now I'm just sticking to the events I will actually act on. Post a card, send a text, call, reach out on Facebook, bake a cake, invite over for dinner. If I'm not doing any of those, they're not going in the diary.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3816 on: October 17, 2016, 01:19:34 AM »
I hope you have copied my birthday in there!

25,000 emails holy crap. Good thing you are able to delete them... once mine get archived by IT we can't purge them. You have to delete them before the 6 week auto archive kicks in.

Of course, I am terrible at it, so I have well over 50,000 emails in there.

I need to put stuff away when I get home. Filing of bills, clothes hung up to dry, gym towels left on ding room chairs. Kitchen bench covered in odds and sods.

Reporting here in advance of actually decluttering doesn't count, does it?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3817 on: October 17, 2016, 01:42:07 AM »
I hope you have copied my birthday in there!

Of course. And as if I would forget!

25,000 emails holy crap. Good thing you are able to delete them... once mine get archived by IT we can't purge them. You have to delete them before the 6 week auto archive kicks in.

Of course, I am terrible at it, so I have well over 50,000 emails in there.

I need to put stuff away when I get home. Filing of bills, clothes hung up to dry, gym towels left on ding room chairs. Kitchen bench covered in odds and sods.

Reporting here in advance of actually decluttering doesn't count, does it?

I am mostly deleting them without reading, but I've left some that need to be acted on (I refuse to say actioned) before being culled. Mostly saving contacts.

No, it doesn't count. :) And hanging out your washing doesn't even count as decluttering! :)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3818 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
I'm sitting here right now staring at a pile of stuff designated for Goodwill piled in a living room chair, and it's been sitting there for the past 3 days. Including my $#% wedding dress I should have never bought (wanted a low key fun wedding with a dress or costume I could wear again. Mother threw a fit about not having a white poofy dress and walking down an aisle and insisted on buying one, so I caved).

I hate the idea of not getting a dime for this dress, and yet I did not spend a single dime of my own money on this dress. It was pretty and I still think so, but I honestly have no use for it and I have plenty of photos of the big day, so I don't know why the stupid thing causes me to freeze up trying to get it out of the house. I lost over 100 lbs., so even if I wanted to wear it as a costume, it would fall off me, and the box is HUGE and no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now. I am hung up on the stupid sunk cost fallacy and it wasn't even my money!

Sigh. I really hate being borderline cheap and having packrat tendencies sometimes.

I've managed to sell 5 bins full of books for just over $60, camera equipment for $60, Have a long box of comics and a few boxes of miscellaneous toys to go to the comic shop in November (they didn't want anything until after their big sale end of October).

I just went and started trying to look through our front room's closets again to see if there is more stuff to purge, and there actually isn't. It's been taken from full to bursting to about 50% empty, and the stuff in there is all "have a use" stuff.

I really need to tackle my garage, but that's likely next month.

Dress and other crap going out today. Even if I end up breaking down crying driving away, I want it gone, so the stupid emotional attachment to a stupid dress will just have to be dealt with after the fact. I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3819 on: October 17, 2016, 05:53:29 AM »
I don't know. I bought my dress second hand and thought I'd be fine selling it off afterwards, but it's still sitting in my cupboard and I have zero desire to get rid of it. Although in my case, I still fit it and am contemplating if there any way I can refashion it to be worn again... But, $1k! It cost so much! I doubt if get that much for it anyway...

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3820 on: October 17, 2016, 06:29:06 AM »
I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

I have sets of classic books from my father and possibly from my grandfather. Unfortunately my dad stored them in the attic and most of them are falling apart or have mildew. I can't even give them away. So I started throwing them out. It is wrenching to see them out with the trash, but after they get picked up I just feel lighter. So far I regret nothing I have sold, given away, or thrown out.

Imagine some cash-strapped engaged girl going through Goodwill dresses and discovering yours, which is the exact sort of style that would look good on her.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3821 on: October 17, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
12 books and 2 badly fitting t-shirts gone :-D

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3822 on: October 17, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
I'm sitting here right now staring at a pile of stuff designated for Goodwill piled in a living room chair, and it's been sitting there for the past 3 days. Including my $#% wedding dress I should have never bought (wanted a low key fun wedding with a dress or costume I could wear again. Mother threw a fit about not having a white poofy dress and walking down an aisle and insisted on buying one, so I caved).

I hate the idea of not getting a dime for this dress, and yet I did not spend a single dime of my own money on this dress. It was pretty and I still think so, but I honestly have no use for it and I have plenty of photos of the big day, so I don't know why the stupid thing causes me to freeze up trying to get it out of the house. I lost over 100 lbs., so even if I wanted to wear it as a costume, it would fall off me, and the box is HUGE and no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now. I am hung up on the stupid sunk cost fallacy and it wasn't even my money!

Sigh. I really hate being borderline cheap and having packrat tendencies sometimes.

I've managed to sell 5 bins full of books for just over $60, camera equipment for $60, Have a long box of comics and a few boxes of miscellaneous toys to go to the comic shop in November (they didn't want anything until after their big sale end of October).

I just went and started trying to look through our front room's closets again to see if there is more stuff to purge, and there actually isn't. It's been taken from full to bursting to about 50% empty, and the stuff in there is all "have a use" stuff.

I really need to tackle my garage, but that's likely next month.

Dress and other crap going out today. Even if I end up breaking down crying driving away, I want it gone, so the stupid emotional attachment to a stupid dress will just have to be dealt with after the fact. I really do want it gone dammit! Why is this so hard?

Frankies Girl, I know it sounds hokey but what helped me in situations like you have with the dress, was using the KonMarie method.  What she suggests is taking the object into your hands and actually saying thank you for whatever it did.  In this case you could say something like: "Thank you for making me feel beautiful and witnessing my big day.  I loved wearing you and my family loved seeing me wear you."  You don't have to say it out loud, obviously.  But the physical contact with the object plus the acknowledgement of the service that the object provided to you really does the trick.   The act of properly saying Thank you and Good Bye is important and effective in this case.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:49:32 PM by ZiziPB »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3823 on: October 17, 2016, 12:55:38 PM »
no one wants it for even a small amount of $ or as a donation to a "Wedding Gowns for X" since it's over 14 years old now.

I bet somebody out there wants it! I've definitely seen women trying on the wedding dresses at Salvation Army, and some of those dresses are reallll "vintage."

Have you tried putting it on craigslist? A friend of mine bought her wedding dress on craiglist for $50 -- she was so thrilled. It might even be fun to meet a bride-to-be who's giving your dress a second life :)

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3824 on: October 17, 2016, 01:49:33 PM »
I couldn't get anyone to buy my wedding dress either, even when I listed it on CL for 5 bucks. It was at least 10 years old at that point - so, not vintage but also not modern. Ended up donating it, because I was NOT moving with it again!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3825 on: October 17, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
I had success with a local want ads newsletter selling my first dress.  Traditional, white, poofy, lace, froo froo, the whole deal.  I cannot remember how much my dad paid for it.  I sold it, along with the veil, necklace and earrings, to a special needs woman for $100.  She was so happy as was I.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3826 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Strangely, I find disposing of old computers a joy...    2 old HP laptops bit the dust last year and weren't worth fixing and had been sitting on shelves...    Removed the hard drives and pummelled them with a large hammer (shattered disk drives make such nice tinkly sounds), then recycled the batteries and carcases separately...   MOST satisfying!   :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3827 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I bought my wedding dress for $200 from a Goodwill. It was from the 80s (the scrunchy straps over the shoulder of an otherwise off the shoulder dress gave it away) and I bought it in 2006. I loved it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3828 on: October 17, 2016, 09:46:01 PM »
Dress is gone! Dropped off at goodwill this afternoon and the went to the grocery and bought crap food, came home, ate lots of crap and had a very minor panic attack and the took an epic nap. But it is gone and I think I am just going to pretend it is around here for a while until it doesn't cause me to feel bad thinking about it.

And yes I am happy I did it. But fighting the programming is still hard.

And I could have tried to sell it, but honestly I get weird about dealing with people in general, and if I was lucky I might get $50 for my efforts, and it would be hour or two of dealing with taking photos, writing up the description, getting a throwaway email for listing, fielding questions and wanting to see more photos and then having to travel to meet up if I actually did get anyone interested... the money just wasn't worth the efforts (although it was still a very pretty dress - just not in style at the moment).

And the KonMa method would have caused me to personify the dress and feel awful for abandoning it at a grungy thrift store... I didn't want to even open the box other than to make sure the dress actually was in there because seeing it or handling it would cause me to attach HARD again. I already have to avoid naming my current car and other everyday objects as the last time I had to trade in a vehicle for instance, I bawled like freaking baby because "Aggie" had been with me for 17 years and I felt like I was having her put to sleep like a pet.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:32:18 AM by Frankies Girl »

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #3829 on: October 18, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
Got a pile of clothing to take to the op shop :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3830 on: October 18, 2016, 03:29:42 AM »
Dress is gone! Dropped off at goodwill this afternoon and the went to the grocery and bought crap food, came home, ate lots of crap and had a very minor panic attack and the took an epic nap. But it is gone and I think I am just going to pretend it is around here for a while until it doesn't cause me to feel bad thinking about it.

Well done! Someone is going to love it - even if you worry that the style is dated a talented seamstress can turn it into something else entirely. I sure some bride is going to be thrilled.

So I sent something to charity last week I have just thought of a use for. Argh! However, PSA, the world hasn't stopped turning. It turns out I'm... just fine. A little bummed, but life goes on. The decluttering does get easier!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3831 on: October 18, 2016, 10:11:26 AM »

And I could have tried to sell it, but honestly I get weird about dealing with people in general, and if I was lucky I might get $50 for my efforts, and it would be hour or two of dealing with taking photos, writing up the description, getting a throwaway email for listing, fielding questions and wanting to see more photos and then having to travel to meet up if I actually did get anyone interested... the money just wasn't worth the efforts (although it was still a very pretty dress - just not in style at the moment).

And the KonMa method would have caused me to personify the dress and feel awful for abandoning it at a grungy thrift store... I didn't want to even open the box other than to make sure the dress actually was in there because seeing it or handling it would cause me to attach HARD again. I already have to avoid naming my current car and other everyday objects as the last time I had to trade in a vehicle for instance, I bawled like freaking baby because "Aggie" had been with me for 17 years and I felt like I was having her put to sleep like a pet.
Totally understood, Frankies Girl.  Glad that you were able to do it anyway!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3832 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »
So I sent something to charity last week I have just thought of a use for. Argh! However, PSA, the world hasn't stopped turning. It turns out I'm... just fine. A little bummed, but life goes on. The decluttering does get easier!

I have to take back my no-regrets statement too. Saturday I had a yard sale and got rid of "duplicate" hand tools. Somehow I sold my only trowel for 50 cents. Now I have to patch some cement this week. Argh! They are pretty small patches so I will make do with a plastic knife.

Bravo on the wedding dress, Frankies Girl.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3833 on: October 18, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »
Wow, you totally just made the leap, Frankies Girl! Awesome job!

Don't feel bad about not selling it -- the key here was decluttering, and you rocked it! The fact that it was hard just makes it that much more meaningful that you DID it!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3834 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
Wow, you totally just made the leap, Frankies Girl! Awesome job!

Don't feel bad about not selling it -- the key here was decluttering, and you rocked it! The fact that it was hard just makes it that much more meaningful that you DID it!

You are doing better then me.  I am using you as inspiration.  I still have my wedding dress, and I am divorced.  Plus assorted bridesmaid dresses, most of which are horrible, and the one nice one (a bit like Kate's dress) is too small (many years and a baby ago).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3835 on: October 19, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

Well done! Someone is going to love it - even if you worry that the style is dated a talented seamstress can turn it into something else entirely. I sure some bride is going to be thrilled.

This.  Example:  A seamstress I know has a client who is going to have a steampunk wedding.  She bought a wedding dress at a thrift shop, is going to dye it down from the bright white, and add kerchiefs and such to it.  She showed us an example.  Fantastic!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3836 on: October 19, 2016, 04:42:55 PM »
Today I decluttered 27 dishtowels, dish rags, and hot pads. All were stained, torn, or generally ratty. Even with getting rid of all that, I have a more than adequate supply of kitchen towels, hot pads/mitts, etc.

The more I think about it, I decide that the reason my house has more things than I have storage for, is that this house is like a dammed up lake. Water from above enters the lake, but doesn't leave until it rises above the level of the dam. For years and years I've bought things, my husband has bought things, and we've been given things. The level of stuff in the house went up all the time. Every once in a while I would get tired of clutter and I'd donate or throw a box of stuff away, but since we were always buying/receiving things, the level of crap really never went down.

The last two months (ever since our basement flood) has been the first time I've systematically gone through rooms/drawers/closets and tossed without mercy. If something hasn't been used or worn in a year, or doesn't provide utility or beauty, out it goes. I'm not totally into the Marie Kondo method, but once or twice I have asked myself whether something made me feel good, or was I just keeping it out of guilt, sentiment, or fear.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3837 on: October 19, 2016, 07:15:57 PM »
Today I decluttered 27 dishtowels, dish rags, and hot pads. All were stained, torn, or generally ratty. Even with getting rid of all that, I have a more than adequate supply of kitchen towels, hot pads/mitts, etc.

The more I think about it, I decide that the reason my house has more things than I have storage for, is that this house is like a dammed up lake. Water from above enters the lake, but doesn't leave until it rises above the level of the dam. For years and years I've bought things, my husband has bought things, and we've been given things. The level of stuff in the house went up all the time. Every once in a while I would get tired of clutter and I'd donate or throw a box of stuff away, but since we were always buying/receiving things, the level of crap really never went down.

The last two months (ever since our basement flood) has been the first time I've systematically gone through rooms/drawers/closets and tossed without mercy. If something hasn't been used or worn in a year, or doesn't provide utility or beauty, out it goes. I'm not totally into the Marie Kondo method, but once or twice I have asked myself whether something made me feel good, or was I just keeping it out of guilt, sentiment, or fear.

Great progress CU Tiger. The more storage you have, the more stuff you have.

I live in a small apartment. It was liberating when I could finally just put things away instead of playing Tetris with the contents of a cupboard.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3838 on: October 20, 2016, 01:50:12 PM »
I FINALLY messaged a friend to see if she could make use of my small cache of knitting supplies. I haven't touched any of it in years and just kept thinking "I'll contact friend A, B, or C and give it to them" but never actually did it (don't see any of these friends very often). Hopefully, the items will be exiting sometime next week when we meet for a drink!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3839 on: October 20, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »
Got rid of an ice cooler and a wall photoframe. Gave them to my house cleaner who was so happy to get them. Thinking I should get rid of some clothes while I'm at it as well.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3840 on: October 20, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »
Office clean-out day.

I'm tossing a couple of hundred newspapers, offloading books and magazines to colleagues, and recycling a pile of notes I no longer need.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3841 on: October 21, 2016, 03:04:58 AM »

This is really key. I stopped bringing in ANYTHING except food. I mean, even 'consumable' stuff I stopped, until we ran out, so I could see what it was like to be without.

Makeup remover? I just never bought it again, because actually, I prefer face wipes. I ran out of those, and after a couple of days decided yes, I do want to 'stock' them.

I have reduced the number of 'products' in my house so much this way. Turns out dish soap is fine for pretty much all household cleaning, and we both reach for it anyway, since it is on the counter and the 'multi-purpose' cleaner was under the sink. I never replaced it.

Ladies shave gel? Actually, conditioner works perfectly and is helping me use up three half used bottles that would last for years if I only used them on my head.

Q-tips? Yes, useful. Replenished.

The only thing I didn't let us fully run out of was toothpaste & loo roll. Everything else it was really eye opening to try a substitute and see if I liked the results any less.

Also, this may seem mean, but gifts? I decide straight away - would I have BOUGHT this if I had the budget? If not, it gets put in the donate box immediately. I don't need to feel guilty / wonder / obsess over it for a few months and then give it away. I thank the giver genuinely, because I am thankful that they were thinking of me, and know I can pass the item onto someone who will love it more, whilst honouring the giver's intention of making me feel loved and special.

Sidenote - no-one has ever asked where a gift they have given me is. Just like I would never ask someone else that.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3842 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:17 AM »
@theadvicist, 

Yes I found great relief at allowing things to run out as well. I had so many lotions and shampoos and travel conditioners and spare make up remover bottles and multiple bottles of aspirin and so on.  I always used to just buy more stuff occasionally until I was haunted by bottles.  I must confess I did get rid of a few things but mainly I let them run out and now have one of each thing and no more. Aaaaaah!  What a freeing feeling.  I still have about 5 different tubes of lotion but they are on their last legs.

I was in a pharmacy yesterday and that old urge to restock came over me and I shook it off and moved on to the cashier with the one item I went to buy. Phew!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3843 on: October 21, 2016, 10:36:12 AM »
Makeup remover? I just never bought it again, because actually, I prefer face wipes. I ran out of those, and after a couple of days decided yes, I do want to 'stock' them.

I fell in love with a cleanser from FatFaceCo that was an oil based cleanser that worked well for waterproof makeup remover. I ran out and did not replace it and instead tried using coconut oil (I already have a jar for moisturizing purposes in the bathroom) and wouldn't you know it worked just the same!

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3844 on: October 22, 2016, 12:59:25 AM »
My DH is out at a friends birthday tonight. I'm at home looking after the tiny person. Time to reorganise the lounge. And a few things will probably end up in the donate box

Love the concept of a donate box, really easy to get rid of stuff. Having it there, but out of site, is a great way to remove the needing something two seconds after you get rid of it.
One box is already in the car ready to drop off when we go out tomorrow.

We are planning to relocating in the next year or two (based round tiny people and the lifestyle we want to promote for them) and that's a great motivator to ask myself "do I really want to shift this?" and/or "does this fit in my ideal home?"

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3845 on: October 22, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
I've been attacking my office for the past two weeks. I've been selling a lot online lately and stuff has just been flying out of the house! Generally small stuff, some books, a board game, a lamp et cetera. Really happy with the progress! Some things only sell for like 5 bucks, but it adds up quickly.

I live in an old house with built-in closets and I've cleared two of them so extensively that I'm considering just putting my books in there. I now have three bookcases in my office and once I declutter them, I would be able to get rid of all three... and then, I also have a desk in my office that I never really use (I prefer to sit at the kitchen table with my laptop). If I got rid of the desk and the bookcases, using my now-empty built-in closets to store my important books, I would only have 1 item left in my office... the litter box.

I think I'll keep the desk. Makes me look less like a crazy cat lady...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3846 on: October 24, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Where is she? Lurking around somewhere. Come on, I know you're online!......

Wishing a very special happy birthday to our resident decluttering expert mustachepungoeshere!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3847 on: October 24, 2016, 01:45:11 AM »
Where is she? Lurking around somewhere. Come on, I know you're online!......

Wishing a very special happy birthday to our resident decluttering expert mustachepungoeshere!

Thanks mate! And thanks for being part of my birthday weekend extravaganza! It meant a lot that you were there to celebrate with me.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3848 on: October 24, 2016, 02:03:59 AM »
Happy birthday!

I've put a t-shirt and 2 pairs of work trousers in a donation bag. They no longer fit me, but if I do lose the weight I'm unlikely to be the same shape, so better they go now rather than lurk in my wardrobe indefinitely.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3849 on: October 24, 2016, 04:42:31 AM »
I have a new rule.

Everytime I walk out the front door, morning and evening, I take something to the bin.

It seems to be working in getting rid of paper, cartons, recyclables, old wallet cards etc. May not be efficient, but it feels good to take things outside, rather than constantly bringing them in.