Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850147 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3750 on: September 19, 2016, 04:34:38 AM »

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.

Yes, ladders are 'runs' so named because that's what they look like!

Tights here are:
1) Sheer 'nude' things (or 'barely black if you live in the 1990s), of approx 8-80 denier, such as The Duchess of Cornwall wears under a dress. I think you may call these hose? 
2) the thickers ones to which you refer - definitely not pants, opaque. We just call those, "thick tights" or "Winter tights".

I just reread what you said. Yes, what you call tights and pantyhose, we just call them all 'tights'.

Pop socks are ankle high, and I would wear them with a business suit and court shoes, made of the thinner pantyhose material. Different from 'knee highs', which are the same thing, only longer - they, as the name suggests, come up to your knees.

A relatively new product is the 'trouser sock', pop sock height (ie ankle), but made of the thicker 'tights' material. Designed to be worn instead of traditional cotton socks when your shoes reveal sock to the world.

Wow, that was complex!

And just to keep this on topic, I managed to purge... absolutely nothing over the weekend. Must do better!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3751 on: September 19, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.

Tights here are:
1) Sheer 'nude' things (or 'barely black if you live in the 1990s), of approx 8-80 denier, such as The Duchess of Cornwall wears under a dress. I think you may call these hose? 
2) the thickers ones to which you refer - definitely not pants, opaque. We just call those, "thick tights" or "Winter tights".

I just reread what you said. Yes, what you call tights and pantyhose, we just call them all 'tights'.

Pop socks are ankle high, and I would wear them with a business suit and court shoes, made of the thinner pantyhose material. Different from 'knee highs', which are the same thing, only longer - they, as the name suggests, come up to your knees.

A relatively new product is the 'trouser sock', pop sock height (ie ankle), but made of the thicker 'tights' material. Designed to be worn instead of traditional cotton socks when your shoes reveal sock to the world.

Wow, that was complex!

And just to keep this on topic, I managed to purge... absolutely nothing over the weekend. Must do better!
Took care of socks, lets move on to shoes.

Court shoes. Trainers.
We dont use those terms here. Your court shows are our pumps, I think. Leather formal shoes with a heel.

Trainers are tennis shoes.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:13:10 AM by iris lily »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3752 on: September 19, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
Set up our filing system, and added to the "to shred" bin about 1/3-1/2 of the total papers I was sorting. Win! Now I just need to go through the paperwork in the old clear tubs I've been avoiding from YEARS ago. These papers are much more emotionally fraught and interspersed with all sorts of landmines- like love letters from both my AND DH's ex's, since the paperwork ended up co-mingled during our last move.

I've managed to put this off for 5+ years now (especially because there's not much of them, etc). Time to deal with it and recognize that mental weight doesn't always relate to physical space taken up!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3753 on: September 19, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

Oh dear. You are being very brave.

What your mom doesn't know won't hurt her.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3754 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

Congrats on knowing that your son's potty training has "stuck" after all these years!  ;)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3755 on: September 19, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »

Congrats on knowing that your son's potty training has "stuck" after all these years!  ;)

Well, actually, I could have offered them to said son for HIS newborn son, and put that in the 'how did you save money today thread'.       @_@     Except that DIL finds it hilarious that in ancient times (otherwise known as the early 80's) diapers were not prefolded, and you had to use PINS.  I had forgotten they were even out there, until we were sorting out the baby books, etc. for our grandson.  Sometimes having lots and lots of shelves in the garage is not necessarily a good thing. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 12:34:41 PM by Shinplaster »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3756 on: September 19, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »
Cloth diapers make amazing burp cloths!

jordanread

« Reply #3757 on: September 19, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »

So shirts, don't they?*

*I don't have kids. I have no freaking idea.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3758 on: September 19, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Oh dear. You are being very brave.

What your mom doesn't know won't hurt her.

I'm definitely not telling her.  : D     In her defense, she's a child of the depression, and learned the lessons of never throwing anything away very well.  She was mustachian before that was a term, and we all love her slightly hoarding tendencies when it comes to gift wrap, boxes, bows, etc.   

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3759 on: September 19, 2016, 12:42:19 PM »

So shirts, don't they?*

*I don't have kids. I have no freaking idea.

Shirts are less absorbent, and more of a pain in the butt to change when you are already dressed and the baby burps all over you.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3760 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:01 PM »

DIL doesn't want them for that either, so I will use them for staining furniture I think.  No lint after all those washings!   She also didn't want the flannel swaddling cloths I found in the box, so my Mom has offered to make a quilt from them for when our grandson goes to daycare next year.  His blankie will be unique, anyway.  : D

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3761 on: September 19, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »

Tights here are:

Wow, that was complex!

It becomes more complex: we have trouser socks here, but they come up to the knee.

We also have kneehighs, just as you described them, but have no equivalent that I know of for pop socks.

Your tights are our pantyhose, and your winter tights we just call tights.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3762 on: September 19, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
On the subject of decluttering and tights...

I finally parted with my ballet tights. Most of them had been stitched or "glued" (nail polish) in places. It was time to go.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3763 on: September 19, 2016, 08:00:19 PM »

Well, actually, I could have offered them to said son for HIS newborn son, and put that in the 'how did you save money today thread'.       @_@     Except that DIL finds it hilarious that in ancient times (otherwise known as the early 80's) diapers were not prefolded, and you had to use PINS.  I had forgotten they were even out there, until we were sorting out the baby books, etc. for our grandson.  Sometimes having lots and lots of shelves in the garage is not necessarily a good thing.
Wow, you kept them? My mum used the nappies on 4 kids and then they went straight into the "awesome cloths for cleaning" bucket. They are all very used up now. Also, I was surprised that there's "prefolds" and things, I almost remember how to fold a flat nappy and I certainly remember pinning them! (I was 9 when the youngest was born, I'm only 27 now).

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3764 on: September 20, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »

Court shoes. Trainers.
We dont use those terms here. Your court shows are our pumps, I think. Leather formal shoes with a heel.

Yes, court shoes are formal, leather, heel, no straps at all. Quite open at the front.

Interestingly, my mum would describe any FLAT shoes as 'pumps'. I would never use that word myself, it seems to have gone out of fashion here. Interesting to hear that for you pumps have heels.

Yep to the trainers being tennis shoes. This is fascinating!

ETA fascinating, to me. Sorry for the thread hijack!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3765 on: September 20, 2016, 04:02:53 AM »

Court shoes. Trainers.

Yes, court shoes are formal, leather, heel, no straps at all. Quite open at the front.

Interestingly, my mum would describe any FLAT shoes as 'pumps'. I would never use that word myself, it seems to have gone out of fashion here. Interesting to hear that for you pumps have heels.

Are we going to talk about fascinators now?

This is like word-association...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3766 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:24 AM »
Friend who just got a new dog is coming to get our old dog house (our spoiled pooch comes inside and sleeps on the couch).

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3767 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
I started a digitization project of all my old statements and papers which took up 4 boxes of space.  I know 7 years is the longest you have to legally keep things but I feel better scanning them first and then throwing them out.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3768 on: September 21, 2016, 02:22:08 AM »
Jacket, bathrobe and 3 books gone!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3769 on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:20 AM »
I started a digitization project of all my old statements and papers which took up 4 boxes of space.  I know 7 years is the longest you have to legally keep things but I feel better scanning them first and then throwing them out.
I did this with all our tax records (started with old but realized I e-filed new ones, so I only have digital copies). Go ahead with removing the paper! It's so worth it.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3770 on: September 21, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
by the end of this month, i'm going thru all of my winter clothes to put out. i'm not sure how much there will be to get rid of/donate, but i'm hoping to make some progress for the new season starting

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #3771 on: September 21, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
Can I just vent here for a second?  I just lost a parent.  I have two storage units to go through in two different states.  I am knee deep in boxes and papers AND grief.  I feel like I can barely breathe and my spouse's family is mailing us more stuff.  I think I may lose my mind.  I can't get rid of things fast enough before more things are introduced into the house. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Ok, back to regular programming...  someone tell me about their accomplishments so that I can at least celebrate then instead of feeling like having a pity party and crying here.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3772 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:08 AM »
I am sorry for your loss, Secretly Saving.  I have had to clear or help clear three different houses of elderly relatives, and it is difficult both emotionally and practically, at a time when one's personal reserves are low.  I found that taking a break every now and then rather than rushing through as soon as possible was the only way for me to get through it.

In personal news, I took a bag of old curtains and another of books to the charity shop two weeks ago.  A table and a wicker chair were picked up yesterday for a rehab/work experience centre being set up locally.  A sofa is advertised and I've put the word out locally but has had no responses yet - if it isn't gone by next week it will be off to the dump.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3773 on: September 22, 2016, 02:04:14 AM »
So sorry to hear that, Secretly Saving. Hang in there - and don't be afraid to tell your in-laws you are overwhelmed at present and can't be dealing with more items in the mail. What are they sending anyway?

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3774 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:41 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, Secretly Saving. Hope things feel less overwhelming soon.

Court shoes. Trainers.

Trainers = sneakers (occasionally tennis shoes)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3775 on: September 22, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
I am sorry for your loss, Secretly Saving.  :(

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #3776 on: September 24, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
we will have a friend visiting and got active de-cluttering and painting/refreshing the apartment; we got rid of
-ply wood, pieces of countertop, & various bits of wood that we didn't get to use while making cabinets
-1 bad bike
-1 metal shelf
-books/papers/
-Christmas stuff
adding to the discarded list: ski, frames , BBQ, toys,
used up: paint,
posted for sale: bike rack
will dispose of car parts (old car got replaced) , looking to donate to some tech school
gifted: unused good quality woolen fabric

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3777 on: September 24, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
Not really decluttering but I'm excited that all the decorations, food, chips, drinks bottles, cutlery and gift bags that I had stored at home for a party are finally out of the house and in the car. I'm hoping we don't bring back any.

More space FTW!!!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3778 on: September 24, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »
We have a small chest of drawers next to the front door. On the top is a basket where DH dumps his wallet, keys and whatnot (so he can easily find them again and I don't get annoyed that they're randomly cluttering up a surface somewhere). One drawer is my diabetes supplies. Next drawer down is prescriptions and receipts and spare glasses.

The bottom drawer is where we put paper that needs to be filed. I have not done the filing for at least a year. There is about 6cm of paper. argh. I will aim to get through it all in the next 2 hours (before we go to our friends' house). I will also try to throw out more paper from our files. Our files are in lever-arch folders which is much more manageable for me than having papers loose in hanging files in a filing cabinet or box.

eep. wish me luck.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3779 on: September 25, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
Finally cleared out my patio closet. I had replaced two small wicker chairs with a larger one that is easier on my back, and I had never gotten around to disposing of a rusty folding chair the previous owner had left. The folding chair wasn't salvageable, but I did put the wicker chairs out in the "please take this" area of my complex where residents tend to leave hand-me-down items. I was pleased to say that when I took a bag of trash out later the chairs were gone. I've looked around the other patios to see where they moved on to, but haven't spotted them yet!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3780 on: September 26, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
I added 10-12 mini shampoo, conditioner and lotion bottles and another shirt to the donation pile I've been yapping about for weeks.  And I'm pleased to say I finally dropped off the donation this morning.  Two bags of items out of my life forever.  :D

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #3781 on: September 26, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
So I think this would be a good thread for me. I don't actually have that much stuff as I live in a small apartment, but I still have more than I need. I am also a bit of a hoarder. I have clothes that are getting seriously worn out which I still wear and can't bring myself to throw away. I also always seem to have snail mail that seems vaguely important so I don't throw it away and eventually it builds up. And forgotten pantry items that I should use up. And a bunch of other things.

If you're anything like me please join me in getting rid of your stuff. Whether this means throwing them out, donating them, giving them to friends/family, eating them, or selling them.

If you have any tips on how to deal with the my-clothes-have-holes-but-are-so-comfy or I-may-need-this-someday syndrome, please share. And also let me know when there are cases where I-may-need-this syndrome actually makes sense, so I can identify what things I should actually keep and what I should throw.

My progress so far:

I recently managed to find some clothes that I donated to a charity bin.

And today I put up an ad on an online board to sell off a kitchen appliance that I don't use. Hopefully I'll get a buyer.

I'm going to try to find more things I can get rid of. I may actually be moving out of my place within a year or so, which provides extra incentive.

Feel free to join me!
Ive been using an app called OFFERUP to get rid of stuff collecting lots of dust over the years that I never use. Ive been putting it all on my mortgage and its been a huge help towards becoming 100% debt free !!!!!! I like OFFERUP because you post it once and forget about it. Unlike craigslist where you have to baby sit your ad.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3782 on: September 27, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »
Two more bags of books and magazines donated.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3783 on: September 27, 2016, 05:27:13 PM »
Threw out a tube of anti-itch cream last night. It expired in 2005. I think I need to go through the bathroom cabinet.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3784 on: September 28, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
I put up a few things on our Buy Nothing neighborhood group.  I've also been amassing a pile of stuff to donate to the Salvation Army.  I'm planning to do a drop off on Saturday afternoon. 

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #3785 on: September 28, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
So I think this would be a good thread for me. I don't actually have that much stuff as I live in a small apartment, but I still have more than I need. I am also a bit of a hoarder. I have clothes that are getting seriously worn out which I still wear and can't bring myself to throw away. I also always seem to have snail mail that seems vaguely important so I don't throw it away and eventually it builds up. And forgotten pantry items that I should use up. And a bunch of other things.

If you're anything like me please join me in getting rid of your stuff. Whether this means throwing them out, donating them, giving them to friends/family, eating them, or selling them.

If you have any tips on how to deal with the my-clothes-have-holes-but-are-so-comfy or I-may-need-this-someday syndrome, please share. And also let me know when there are cases where I-may-need-this syndrome actually makes sense, so I can identify what things I should actually keep and what I should throw.

My progress so far:

I recently managed to find some clothes that I donated to a charity bin.

And today I put up an ad on an online board to sell off a kitchen appliance that I don't use. Hopefully I'll get a buyer.

I'm going to try to find more things I can get rid of. I may actually be moving out of my place within a year or so, which provides extra incentive.

Feel free to join me!
I SOLD AN OLD SUBARU BACK RUBBER MAT FOR $90 TODAY AND A SET OF SUBARU SKI RACKS FOR $70 AND 1OO% OF IT IS GOING ONTO MY MORTGAGE !!!! YOOHOO !!!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3786 on: September 28, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
Proud of myself for finally sitting down and listing ~15 items on eBay tonight.  I've been dragging my feet on it for months. 

Also gave my dad a couple reusable bags as he was leaving the other day.

We're preparing for an office move, so rather than trust the movers to get my things back to me, I've taken most of my stuff home, and have also tossed/recycled loads of stuff in the process.  So far, I've hardly noticed that I have almost nothing at my office.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3787 on: September 28, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »
Neighbour posted on our FB street group that she needed packing boxes. Now the last of our boxes from the move (over a year ago...) are finally out of the house :-)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3788 on: September 28, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »
2 Buy Nothing giveaways.  5 items out of the house! 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3789 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
I've started another round of the minimalist game.

Came up with three bags of clothes for charity over the weekend. (Most of it belonged to my husband, and all of it is being donated with his permission. I handle all the washing, folding and ironing in our house, and I was constantly feeling frustrated. All his favourite clothes were either being worn, waiting to be washed or waiting to be ironed, so what the hell is filling up the cupboard? This has made a dent.)

I'm also making a concerted effort to use up my stash of beautiful stationery.

And I'm promptly triaging the Stuff that husband brings home from work trips. Papers and receipts are scanned and/or trashed. Gifts (battery packs, LED torches, USBs, clothes, hats, Moleskin notebooks, pens, etc) and travel freebies (business/first class airline goodies, hotel toiletries) are given to charity or passed on to family or friends who ask.

Previously he wanted to keep everything as a memento, but he slowly realised it was just way too much Stuff (and also, he has his work product, the content he creates, to remember the trips.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3790 on: October 04, 2016, 07:27:33 AM »
I've been good at getting items selected to donate... I've been bad at donating them.

The result was a car full of random items rolling around, half-filled boxes, and bags. And also bags with useful things in, such as my running gear, which was adding to the confusion and mess.

At the weekend I went through everything and bagged / boxed it properly for donation / the tip / the office. Wow, that feels better. I added a few more items too.

I really need to get some stuff listed on ebay. I have been putting it off so long, but 1) i want the money, as the budget is tight this month 2) I want the space back 3) these are good items which will sell for decent money. Why can't I motivate myself?!

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3791 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »
After finishing the entire KonMari method, I felt a few specific items niggling me.  I decided to re-do the sorting of my clothes and books and it turns out, all the items annoying my mind were not sparking joy.  Bye bye!  Got rid of a couple t-shirts and several pants. 

I re-affirmed to keep all my books and found a new recipe in one of the oft-neglected cookbooks: eggplant coconut curry.  It turned out great, yum!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3792 on: October 05, 2016, 05:37:42 AM »
As it's autumn now I thought I would review my wardrobe and my house in general, I gathered up a bag of clothes off to donation.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3793 on: October 05, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
I'm having another garage sale with my neighbor in a couple of weeks. We're in New England so I hope it's not too cold by them.

There is nothing like a deadline to motivate me. Yesterday went through the hand tools. There were at least 3 of everything. Why? Because I would not be able to find something and go buy another one. What a waste. All organized now.

Next is the garage. Ugh. Mostly old plastic plant pots. Those will probably just end up in the trash. You can't really do anything with them and everybody else has a million already as well.

As someone else stated, the work of getting rid of stuff makes one much more considered as to what comes into the house.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #3794 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »
i listed books that i had hanging around yesterday. the first one sold on amazon today!
next is the second round of purging my fall/winter clothes.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3795 on: October 05, 2016, 11:37:36 AM »
+1 regarding being more cognizant of what comes in to the house.  I attended an event yesterday which featured lots of give away swag.  I carefully chose a first aid cold pack and a lip balm.

I've been doing some fall sprucing up here at the office:

~Took out the last ream of paper out of it's box, stored it in the cupboard under the printer, and recycled the box
~Shredded and tossed 1.5 month's worth of stuff
~Stored my old computer (I need to pull off a few files before ridding of it completely) and keyboard
~DH took my old executive chair to his shop to hopefully repair it and he'll use it there
~Hung the broom and dustpan on an extra coat hook
~Put a tote full of giveaway marketing items into a cupboard
~Organized the political signs, stakes and stickers I've been giving away into one place

Next up:
~A backlog of paper files to filing cabinets
~Hang picture to get it off a surface
~Dust
~Sweep
~Wipe down microwave
~Clear out desk drawers

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3796 on: October 05, 2016, 09:09:20 PM »
Broken umbrella and emptied pen to the trash. 

Throwing something like that away when I only have one umbrella or two pens is such a different feeling than when I had no idea how many umbrellas were in the car and in the closet or how many pens I picked up for free. I'm sure it sounds silly.  It might even be easier to throw things away now.  Previously I just "had things" for unidentifide reasons. Now if something no longer serves a purpose I can let it go, because it actually had a purpose to begin with and now it doesn't. 

Gave some fabric to an aquantence.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3797 on: October 06, 2016, 03:23:02 AM »
I did the 'switch' yesterday from summer clothes to winter. Well, I took the winter ones out, and put away a few freshly washed summer things, the rest will go away once they've been washed for the final time this year.

I was surprised (and, I admit, disappointed) by how few non-work winter clothes I have. I must have really culled last year, huh? And even worse, I don't -love- any of them, except one top which is now pilling :(

My work wardrobe is in better shape. I guess I better get making! Also, in going through my fabric stash and looking for fabric to make into new casual stuff, I identified one piece I don't like. Charity shops round here don't sell fabric (at least, I have never ever seen any) so I think they wouldn't know what to do with it. I am tempted to make it into infinity scarves for Christmas presents, but that seems mean since I don't like the fabric. Ah, I just had a brainwave! I will make it into infinity scarves and give THOSE to charity. Perfect.

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3798 on: October 06, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Great week for me: 2 bags of items donated to charity shops, giving me 15% off on a needed purchase and keeping me from online shopping. Also listened to a few friends and matched them with robes, frames, yarn, and dishes they were looking for from my donate pile before they left the house. I love it when I know the items will be used immediately!  Also recycled a race T-shirt into a drawstring backpack to take to the gym use since I didn't have anything suitable for that am trying to get back into the routine. So way more items out than in, and re-use for the win.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3799 on: October 06, 2016, 09:15:44 PM »
I FINALLY did it! I went through my college papers, including love poetry from ex's and photos of dead relatives and ALL that impossibly awful stuff I've put off for years.

Thank you guys.