Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850107 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3700 on: September 01, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
I'm off work next week and will be getting rid of the nearly useless tin shed that was on our property when we bought it.  Thanks to decluttering, there is plenty of room in the main shed/shop for the few useful items that are still in the tin shed.  Hoping someone will haul it off for free.

I also have a big box of items needing to be donated, and need to do a dump run to get rid of yard debris that is too recalcitrant to compost.

Thinking I might take a run at my clothes as well, since it's about time to do some wardrobe rotation.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3701 on: September 01, 2016, 05:10:30 PM »
I'm off work next week and will be getting rid of the nearly useless tin shed that was on our property when we bought it.  Thanks to decluttering, there is plenty of room in the main shed/shop for the few useful items that are still in the tin shed.  Hoping someone will haul it off for free.

I also have a big box of items needing to be donated, and need to do a dump run to get rid of yard debris that is too recalcitrant to compost.

Thinking I might take a run at my clothes as well, since it's about time to do some wardrobe rotation.

I'm thinking I'd rather be at work than have a week off like that.... :)

Good luck with it, though.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3702 on: September 02, 2016, 04:40:01 AM »
So excited to find a donation bag had come through the front door yesterday! We live in a tiny village and I've never received one before. Will definitely save me a trip as I have loads of stuff lined up that I haven't got around to donating because I hate to make a special journey, but am never passing anywhere when it's open.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3703 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
The wife and kids are running a garage sale today. She just sent me a message that big seller so far: DVDs for $1.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3704 on: September 03, 2016, 04:41:44 AM »
Returned a top.

Threw out three bags of garbage.

Finally delivered a bag of specific donations I had been collecting for a local charity.

Putting together another bag of general donations.

Posted something I sold on eBay.

Photographed three more things for eBay.

I'm also slowly using up my stockpile of toiletries. I went a little overboard buying my favourite body wash, etc, when on sale, but I really don't have the space in new apartment.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3705 on: September 03, 2016, 06:28:26 AM »
Yesterday I spend *all day* attacking the paper monster that was eating our dining room table.  Oh my.  It is terrible.  It is still unfinished!  I have a full file cabinet and it seems we "need" all the stuff in there, but it never gets used.   I made great progress on the paper clutter though and recycled tons and tons, put others in file folders (with nowhere to go, maybe a file box?)

I will follow this thread more, as we need to make our home more pleasant and clutter free.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3706 on: September 03, 2016, 06:42:46 AM »
DH put all of our data from 3 laptops onto Dropbox and we gave one of those laptops back to his sister. The other two will be recycled or donated shortly :) so excited, it's been on our to do list for months!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3707 on: September 03, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

I have to do this at least once a year to keep my life running smoothly and preserve my sanity when I am working, since my garden and horse hobbies don't wait around until I have time for them.  And vacations are for preserving sanity, right?  I've been bumbling around the house most of the day today creating even more work for myself, but getting rid of the shed is still the most onerous task.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3708 on: September 03, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »

I have to do this at least once a year to keep my life running smoothly and preserve my sanity when I am working, since my garden and horse hobbies don't wait around until I have time for them.  And vacations are for preserving sanity, right?  I've been bumbling around the house most of the day today creating even more work for myself, but getting rid of the shed is still the most onerous task.

All the really good hobbies have a huge organizational component to them, I find. Though usually you can see the results pretty quickly, which isn't always true at work. I am just cranky about chores that involve sorting and putting things away.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3709 on: September 03, 2016, 09:18:52 PM »
Sold $160 worth of unused stuff. Cleared out several board games, many DVDs, too small kids clothes.

In addition, I took several shelves worth of books to my office (where I actually will use them), which allowed us move a shelving unit out of the living room. As an added bonus, we re-arranged the furniture which makes the room seem new, with nothing spent!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3710 on: September 03, 2016, 11:17:51 PM »

All the really good hobbies have a huge organizational component to them, I find. Though usually you can see the results pretty quickly, which isn't always true at work. I am just cranky about chores that involve sorting and putting things away.

Well, to make you really jealous, I'll just tell you that I also need to purchase, load and stack hay this week.  At least it's exercise?

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3711 on: September 04, 2016, 04:54:33 AM »
I did the flea market yesterday. Got seven boxes of stuff out of the house and made a little money. Win-win!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3712 on: September 04, 2016, 06:04:19 AM »
Gave two almost new bath sheets to my brother-in-law, and returned some of his financial papers after helping him out with a transfer.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3713 on: September 04, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Well, to make you really jealous, I'll just tell you that I also need to purchase, load and stack hay this week.  At least it's exercise?

You are just cramming your vacation with fun, aren't you? I am going to clean out the back hall, so that I have enough room to use it for cold storage. When I get it organized enough, I'm going to start calling it the mudroom.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3714 on: September 05, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
Hello after a long absence.

It is two years since I got so deeply into de-cluttering with all of you and it feels so good to know that much of the house is still quite clear.  Not all of it though and as I prepare to delve in again I do have some tips for myself:

-Go over the entire house quickly every month so nothing can accumulate for very long
-Deal with papers right away and get them out of the house (thank goodness for internet billing)
-Every week deal with any hotspots where things pile up, and take the time to put everything away
-Go back to keeping a list of everything other than food that enters the house
-Put Things Away!  I think this requires allowing time at the end of a task to put everything away - a new mindset.

Paper is still an issue but not so much.  I toss most receipts after I have recorded the purchases, I have no magazine subscriptions any longer, all bank statements are online, we receive very little junk mail…and yet old papers are still here in numbers too large to ignore (well actually I have done a great job of ignoring them until recently). Two years ago I sorted through the huge piles and put papers in folders according to type.  Now it is time to purge them.

Anyone else dealing with the paper monster?

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3715 on: September 05, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »
Anyone else dealing with the paper monster?

My life has changed dramatically since I last organized my papers 5 or 6 years ago. Many files are completely unnecessary now. This winter I will take a month to purge things and to determine what new documents are needed, like a new will and personal directive. It is a good project for January.

I have much less paper coming in that needs to be saved, since so much is online, but I needs a regular process for handling it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3716 on: September 05, 2016, 11:48:44 PM »
My husband's team moved offices, from a beautiful and pricey waterfront office building to more of an industrial warehouse space. And they love it. No HR, no managers, just the boys.

I'm taking the opportunity to offload all manner of things - excess stationery, air freshener, carpet cleaning products (we no longer have carpet at home), coffee mugs, and some work-related books and resources he brought home when the previous office moved to hot-desking.

What I'm finding is that he wants to keep his new office space pristine. Funny that.

It's become a good test to see what he really wants and needs, and whether these event programs and training guides and business cards can go in the bin after all.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3717 on: September 06, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
DH put all of our data from 3 laptops onto Dropbox and we gave one of those laptops back to his sister. The other two will be recycled or donated shortly :) so excited, it's been on our to do list for months!

My husband just did this as well.

Pro-tip:  If you have a best buy, you can sell them your old laptops.  We just got $100 for 3 old laptops.  $50 for one and $25 each for the other two.  I'm mostly glad that they aren't just around gathering dust.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #3718 on: September 06, 2016, 09:56:16 AM »
I have porcelain dolls given to me by my grandma years ago. Not interested in keeping them, but I feel bad just throwing them out. I've tried Craiglist but no replies. Would it sell on EBay perhaps? I'm afraid of them breaking during shipping.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3719 on: September 06, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
I visited with my family over the last 3 weeks - they are all pack rats!  Seeing their places gave me new motivation to get rid of things, even though my place seems minimal and very tidy in comparison with theirs.  I am FIREing and moving overseas in just over 18 months so I need to pick up the pace of decluttering :-)

Have a couple of items to list on Craigslist and a new batch of clothes for the consignment store.  I will deal with that this coming weekend.

Evgenia

• Stubble
    • Evgenia Got FI
« Reply #3720 on: September 06, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
My life has changed dramatically since I last organized my papers 5 or 6 years ago. Many files are completely unnecessary now. This winter I will take a month to purge things and to determine what new documents are needed, like a new will and personal directive. It is a good project for January.

I have much less paper coming in that needs to be saved, since so much is online, but I needs a regular process for handling it.

Hear, hear. I was able to get us down to two bankers boxes last year and I'd love to get down to one. The will and trust stuff (not just ours, but copies of those that belong to family members) is one box on its own. I still need a regular process for handling the ridiculous quantities of mail that still seem to come in.

In other news, FIRE means that we require a lot fewer things in our wardrobes, so several more bags have been taken to Goodwill, other things have been picked up via Freecycle this week, and two higher end things are posted on eBay. Whenever I think of getting a new thing, I need to remind myself how much work it actually is to get RID of things. :)

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3721 on: September 11, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »
My baby is almost at the moving stage, so this is promoting a fresh look around the lounge to see what items can be removed. Trying to make it so that items are removed permanently not solely shifted to another room for storing. Goal for today is to clear 10 items. So far I have found some items that should be rubbish, a couple more books to take to the second hand store (making room for her books on the lower shelves of the bookcase), and a couple of things to put in the donate box.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3722 on: September 11, 2016, 07:17:22 PM »
15 months ago, I consolidated the belongings I had in a rental house I had while on 3 years of contracts in another city into my primary household. I left a small pile of clothes and a few boxes that I hadn't unpacked on the table in "my project room."

This weekend I finished the unpacking. I have a few more clothes I can use, the books are shelved, papers have been moved into general filing, a bag of belongings is being tossed, and my mending is all in one box.  I also found a home for some items in the project room that had no place to be put away before now.  All of this only took a few hours.

The project room is ready to use, just in time for long winter evenings.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3723 on: September 12, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
My daughter, 12, wanted to have a garage sale.  She thought it would be fun.  We have been postponing getting rid of the stuff she was targeting for her sale.  This past weekend she had her sale.  After about 45 minutes of waiting for costumers she was so bored.  Hubs and I had been telling her that garage sales were a lot of work and not that financially rewarding. Most of the stuff she could part with was really just junk.  It was a great learning opportunity for her that took up most of our day (helping her set up, hanging around to make sure all was good and helping her haul it all back in) but it got tons of stuff out of our house and she is completely cured of thinking a garage sale would be fun.  She is quite happy to donate stuff.  Some of the better items I posted to kijiji but if they don't sell, we will donate them to charity.  There is now a big space in the basement and the garage might just be able to hold some cars this winter.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3724 on: September 12, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »

Next up is the bucket of old bank statements that need shredded. Hey, maybe that one'll be tonight!

instead of shredding I am reducing them to a pulp, by dunking them in the water and mixing a bit
(doing this because I don't have a shredder)
Watch this, dont become too crazy, haha!

I say this bcause my mother had Alzheimer's Disease and her method of getting rid of sensitive information was to tear off bits of paper woth the information and put them into a large jar of water, and hde the jar. We found that jar sitting on a high shelf after many months.

While that is not entirely crazy, the data she considered sensitive was her name and address. Umm, n sensitive. . By that time my brother was taking care of all of her financial transactions so she had no bank statements or anything within a social sexurity number or,etc. ahe had only junk mail with her name and address. So, she took elaborate pains to desteoy it..

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3725 on: September 12, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
Found myself browsing hangars on amazon this morning since we keep running out when all the laundry is clean (just by one or two hangars, but enough to be a weekly annoyance). Saw this thread on my new replies... walked into my closet, and got rid of 5 shirts, 1 tank top, 6 pairs of underwear, and 3 bras. End result: 4 unused hangars. The 1-2 I was short each week, plus a couple spares.

Gifted a desk to my mom. Happy to see it go to family- when we lived in 500sq ft, it was our dining room table plus the desk that took me through nursing school. Good memories, so it was sitting in the garage- I was having a hard time letting it go.

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #3726 on: September 12, 2016, 10:43:49 AM »
Had some good luck with Varagesale.com to sell some weights yesterday. Craigslist in my area can be hit or miss, but Varagesale seems little more active.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3727 on: September 12, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »
Put together another donation bag.

Donated some mugs to work.

My husband has agreed to part with some pieces of a collection but doesn't want to be responsible for actually selling/donating, so I have to decide what to do with it.

My home looks tidy but, having moved a month ago, I'm keenly aware that there are still things in cupboards and drawers that I'm not using.

I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space. (Before you jump one me: my birthday is next month, and my grandparents, aunts, and great-aunts are asking for gift ideas.)

Mostly I just want time at home to declutter. Away last weekend, away next weekend, sigh...

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3728 on: September 12, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space. (Before you jump one me: my birthday is next month, and my grandparents, aunts, and great-aunts are asking for gift ideas.)

Mostly I just want time at home to declutter. Away last weekend, away next weekend, sigh...
Mustache, I recently did something similar to this.  I donated our rarely used toaster oven (we kept the toaster) and never used ice cream maker to a Boy Scout yard sale, and food processor to charity.   All were in good shape and still had their manuals.  Cupboard space gained was what, 5 sq ft?  And the peace of mind with less stuff is priceless.  :D

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3729 on: September 12, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »
My daughter, 12, wanted to have a garage sale.  She thought it would be fun.  We have been postponing getting rid of the stuff she was targeting for her sale.  This past weekend she had her sale.  After about 45 minutes of waiting for costumers she was so bored.  Hubs and I had been telling her that garage sales were a lot of work and not that financially rewarding. Most of the stuff she could part with was really just junk.  It was a great learning opportunity for her that took up most of our day (helping her set up, hanging around to make sure all was good and helping her haul it all back in) but it got tons of stuff out of our house and she is completely cured of thinking a garage sale would be fun.  She is quite happy to donate stuff.  Some of the better items I posted to kijiji but if they don't sell, we will donate them to charity.  There is now a big space in the basement and the garage might just be able to hold some cars this winter.

I never really had a garage/ yard sale, I just donated all the time.  About two years ago a relative decided to have one and asked if I wanted to join. I figured why not. Well never again.  The amount I made was not worth my day and I ended up really exhausted the whole weekend. Way too much work for me and people are just exhausting. Garage sales a really a lot of work.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3730 on: September 12, 2016, 07:57:42 PM »
Cleaned out the file cabinets over two marathon sort and purge sessions. The Husband will shed them at the office where they have a huge industrial shredder.

I am a quilter and I had lots of leftover fabric, plus bags of scraps and yardage  that two friends gave me. I sorted through them, folding or rolling the larger pieces. Tomorrow I donate them to my guild's fabric sale. My trash might be someone else's treasure and make some $$ for the group. Whatever happens, it is not coming back to my house!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #3731 on: September 12, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »
we will have a friend visiting and got active de-cluttering and painting/refreshing the apartment; we got rid of
-ply wood, pieces of countertop, & various bits of wood that we didn't get to use while making cabinets
-1 bad bike
-1 metal shelf
-books/papers/
-Christmas stuff

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3732 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:03 PM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space.

I was given a KitchenAid stick mixer as a wedding present. It's a beautiful tool.

It definitely outperforms any other stick mixer I've used, and works well for blender functions. I haven't used it for food processor stuff, and I use my food processor for some functions that the stick mixer can't replicate (grating and slicing).

Personally, I think the trend towards buying shit quality, borderline-disposable products such as appliances is part of what's wrong with society. If something is actually useful to you, buy a well-designed, high quality version. You'll use it your whole life, it'll be a joy to use, you won't be buying cheap crap that ends up in landfill, and your heirs can fight over it when you die.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3733 on: September 13, 2016, 03:56:52 AM »
As far as the  porcelain dolls I gave mine to people that were holding local fundraisers and they sold them at their silent auctions.  It was a win-win for everyone.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3734 on: September 13, 2016, 04:18:06 AM »
Made a sale on ebay! Yay. I don't know why I hate listing so much. With the mobile app it really isn't very onerous anymore and I get so much joy out of making a sale (totally disproportionate to the effort and income involved). Must hold onto this feeling and list more stuff.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3735 on: September 13, 2016, 05:01:55 AM »
I'm seriously considering parting with my food processor, blender and stick mixer. They were fairly cheap and it shows in their performance, whereas a KitchenAid stick mixer would do the work of all three and take up less space.

I was given a KitchenAid stick mixer as a wedding present. It's a beautiful tool.

It definitely outperforms any other stick mixer I've used, and works well for blender functions. I haven't used it for food processor stuff, and I use my food processor for some functions that the stick mixer can't replicate (grating and slicing).

Personally, I think the trend towards buying shit quality, borderline-disposable products such as appliances is part of what's wrong with society. If something is actually useful to you, buy a well-designed, high quality version. You'll use it your whole life, it'll be a joy to use, you won't be buying cheap crap that ends up in landfill, and your heirs can fight over it when you die.

Glad to hear an endorsement for the KitchenAid.

I agree with you on everything else. I would rather have fewer, good quality appliances.

(The food processor, blender and cheaper stick mixer were all gifts. I've held off on replacing them while I worked out what I would actually use.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3736 on: September 13, 2016, 09:22:34 AM »
Made a sale on ebay! Yay. I don't know why I hate listing so much. With the mobile app it really isn't very onerous anymore and I get so much joy out of making a sale (totally disproportionate to the effort and income involved). Must hold onto this feeling and list more stuff.

Totally this.  I was off work last week and sorted through my Get Rid Of pile and have the things that need to be listed on eBay arranged on top of my dresser.  But I can't bring myself to sit down and get them photographed and listed.

I can also vouch for the KitchenAid stick blender.  I have All the Kitchen Appliances, but if I had to move to a smaller house, I'd keep this and get rid of some bulkier things.

My aunt and uncle visited this weekend.  I previously gave her the Singer Featherweight sewing machine that had belonged to some old dead relative I never met.  Happened to find the pedal to it right before they got here, so I passed that on to her, as well as a couple reusable bags that I very rarely use (they're thrift-shopping their way across the country for things for her Etsy store, so she needed bags). 

Also took a large box of stuff to the thrift store last week.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3737 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
I'm curious about what you are calling a "stick mixer"? Is it also called a "stick blender"? Or is it a different product?  I have been looking at stick blenders for the past year or two. Recommendations are appreciated. I've never used one, so Im not sure what they are good for but the small design makes them a good small apartment option.

I use a Lewis bag to crush ice for drinks. I use a fork to mix most things, but I have a single beater that I use in my cordless drill for the two times a year I make frosting. My main motivation for a blender is to make hummus, but if I bought it then I would have to commit to actually making hummus and life is pretty busy right now.  I sometimes think about homemade smoothies,

If only I could find a stick blender blade that fit my cordless drill...

Glad to hear an endorsement for the KitchenAid.

I agree with you on everything else. I would rather have fewer, good quality appliances.

(The food processor, blender and cheaper stick mixer were all gifts. I've held off on replacing them while I worked out what I would actually use.)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3738 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:39 AM »
Got rid of a pair of sandals which I loved and have served me well, but are past the point of repair and usefulness.

Also wore out another pair of the hotel slippers which have been the bane of my existence for so long. Three pairs to go! (No, I am NEVER EVER opening up another pair at a hotel because I can't bear for them to be thrown away so I always bring them home).

And some tights / pop socks which had ladders. I'm pleased about this, because thanks to my 'less is more' philosophy, I am now buying exclusively the more expensive shiny tights that I vastly prefer. Yes, they are more money, but really, I only wear through 3 or so pairs a summer. I can afford nicer things when I buy so much less of everything.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3739 on: September 16, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Got rid of a pair of sandals which I loved and have served me well, but are past the point of repair and usefulness.

Also wore out another pair of the hotel slippers which have been the bane of my existence for so long. Three pairs to go! (No, I am NEVER EVER opening up another pair at a hotel because I can't bear for them to be thrown away so I always bring them home).

And some tights / pop socks which had ladders. I'm pleased about this, because thanks to my 'less is more' philosophy, I am now buying exclusively the more expensive shiny tights that I vastly prefer. Yes, they are more money, but really, I only wear through 3 or so pairs a summer. I can afford nicer things when I buy so much less of everything.

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3740 on: September 16, 2016, 07:16:15 AM »
New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks. Are those tights?

Pop socks are knee-high pantihose, for wearing under slacks/trousers.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3741 on: September 16, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »

New word I learned today: ladders, which I believe are the same thing as I call runs in tights or hose.

New word which I have not quite learned completely: pop socks.
Are those tights? And do you and I mean the same thing when we say "tights"? When I say tights I mean opaque stretchy things that definitely cannot double as pants (and which have feet), but which are also not the same thing as pantyhose, which are not opaque.
+1  :)

I added a pair of slacks, 6 shirts and two non perishable food items to next week's donate pile.  In the past month or so I  tossed out 2 beyond-repair skirts and a button down shirt.  Boy, is it difficult for me to rid of clothes!

I skimmed through and tossed about 6 work-related older magazines.

I also tossed my manual toothbrush, and cleaned and stored the holder.  I'll be forced to use the electric toothbrush gifted to me.

I brought some peaches and an apple from our tree to the local police station as a thank you gesture and I've given away a bowlful here at the office this week.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:10:34 AM by MountainGal »

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #3742 on: September 17, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »

I also tossed my manual toothbrush, and cleaned and stored the holder. 

Old toothbrushes make great crevice scrubbers. I have the old OLD style kitchen counters with sharp inner corners and chrome edges that collect dirt. Toothbrush is great for that.
----------
I have a huge box of inherited records. Very few are ebayable, or yardsaleable. Have been going through about 10 a day to make sure they have little value and then carrying the lot, right then, to the handy books, DVDs, and records donation bin in the church yard within walking distance.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #3743 on: September 17, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
This weekend I went to my dad's house and got Everything that is still mine but was in basement storage (excluding Christmas decorations) and brought it to my house. My formerly empty living room has 11 Rubbermaid totes I am now going through and purging.

Culled books from my childhood book collection for donation. About two totes are school papers I can burn/recycle (I didn't want to leave them behind for my stepmother to take care of) and the rest are either stuff from college or sewing/craft supplies. I also got my art desk and chair and my dressmaker mannequin.

I went from 11 storage totes down to about 8 by the beginning of September. I donated one box of books to a used bookstore (any they can't sell they recycle into new books) & took one tote full of papers to the recycling center. I filled the largest tote with donations for goodwill. As of this afternoon I dropped off that donation tote when it became completely full. I also went through 3 more totes today! I have one more tote full of old school papers to take to the recycling center, 3 Walmart bags full of papers I need to put in the industrial shredder at my office and I started a new small Rubbermaid tote for more donations!

So from 11 totes I am looking at approximately 4 left to sort through (I had one that was just full of fabrics I stashed in my hobby room to go through at a later time). I am happy I am keeping only about an 8th of the things *cough*books and stationary* cough* as I sort.

I also was wondering if other people refer to the Rubbermaid-esque plastic storage totes as Bins or something else? I think I've heard people call them plastic tubs and storage boxes.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3744 on: September 18, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »
Banner week, had a friend over who berated me into getting rid of 2 garbage bags of clothes.  One trash and one of donate quality stuff.

Also we've been living with 4 boxes blocking off the 8 foot opening to the living room, I took some things to the local flea market (3 lamps and a box of random stuff, didn't get cash but it's gone!) and while I was there found an adjustable 8 to 12 foot baby gate with a door in it.  That's so much better than stepping over boxes!

Jesscj81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3745 on: September 18, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
Last two weekends I've been clearing out things from storage in garage that I just don't want or need but decided I need to keep for some reason over the years, ive been posting free ads on Craigslist most of the stuff I was going to trash but decided post free first and people have picked up almost everything I've listed. It's saved me from renting a dumpster. I'm truly surprised at what people will take when it's free.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3746 on: September 18, 2016, 03:06:45 PM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3747 on: September 18, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
Once upon a time gift bags were not a 'thing'.  You begged for pretty boxes at department stores, and saved them up like a squirrel hoarding nuts.  Reused them over and over, until they fell apart. Your standing as Christmas gift wrapper was contingent on being able to produce the perfectly sized box for any gift instantly.

I had a foot high stack (at least) of (collapsed) boxes in a little cubby under the stairs, and decided today that it was time for them to go.  At least 60 boxes.  I can't remember the last time I dug one out of the pile to use for anything.  They are now all in the recycling bin, and my Mom may faint when she hears that I purged them all.  This is sacrilege as far as she's concerned. 

Next up - the cloth diapers that I still have from when my son was a baby.  They've been sitting in a box in the garage since we moved into this house 20 years ago.  He's 34 now.  I think it's safe to cut them up, and use some for rags, and pitch the rest.  : D

Oh dear. You are being very brave.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3748 on: September 18, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »
Gave the Nerf amoury to little boys in the family.

Filled up my washing powder tin this morning with the last box I had bought on sale. Now I am firmly resisting the temptation to re-stock. It will take me months before the tin even looks like getting low - I don't need so much inventory stashed around the place.

(Still working on the bar soap, body wash, hand soap, dishwashing liquid, shampoo... did I think they were going to stop manufacturing this stuff???)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3749 on: September 18, 2016, 09:22:21 PM »
Turfed a whole heap of paper last week. I don't know why I hang on to bits of paper I am clearly never going to refer to again.