Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850075 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3550 on: July 09, 2016, 07:33:45 AM »
I've been doing really well clearing out but now I'm at my childhood home facing a big struggle. Just found my college, school and undergrad projects and a lot of old notes and cards. This is hard!
Oh yes.  I still have the box of index cards all my references were written on for my thesis.  I graduated in '75.  I think I have gotten rid of most of my old school stuff - being retired from teaching has ended that "But I could use this in class" feeling.  As in, I did use the index cards, just to show the students that the mechanics of research are so much easier now, but that they still have to think!
I used to shred so much, but I just bought (yes, spent money) a little metal fire pit thing, and I think a lot of paper will get burned now. 

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3551 on: July 09, 2016, 05:38:26 PM »
We got rid of four grocery bags of clothes this weekend. There are some small kitchen appliances I want to get rid of. I don't feel like dealing with the hassle to sell them, but they are things that should be sold instead of just donated.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3552 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »
Friends have offered to help us move but I'm intensely uncomfortable with people knowing I have possessions. I mean, obviously they know I own things, but I'm known as the decluttering, anti-stuff girl. My skin crawls at the idea of people helping us move and being ... disappointed in me?

Anyway, I started a new tally (whiteboard marker on a mirror) and I'm down 57 things for the day.

Having to move ALL your stuff is always the moment you fully realize how much stuff you really own. (The last 2 times I moved it really appalled me)

But don't get demotivated by it, just keep calm. Moving can be a nice opportunity to declutter, but it might be wise to wait a little so you can find out what fits for your new place.

Thank you. A few people have now commented on me feeling compelled to declutter for the wrong reasons.

I'm not tossing anything I'm not happy to relinquish. But when I consider the volume of what is left by category... I could get rid of one or two books but there is still a whole bookshelf there.

I should probably just trust that my friends who have offered to help move won't judge me.

And moving is definitely a great motivator.

We've been in our current place five years. I've decluttered a lot in that time, but we've also acquired a couple of large pieces of furniture during our time here, which are going to be absolute bastards to move.

We've talked more and I think it's happening. I'm trying to look at the many, many benefits of the new place instead of looking at all the work I've just signed myself up for.

Fig

• Bristles
« Reply #3553 on: July 10, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »
I've been doing really well clearing out but now I'm at my childhood home facing a big struggle. Just found my college, school and undergrad projects and a lot of old notes and cards. This is hard!

Oh, Fig!  I recently moved and had to figure out what to do with my college papers.  I only went to college at the age of 37, and I'm 44 now.  Those papers were SO HARD for me to get rid of.

I had to really sit and think about why.

And for me it was that these papers were proof to me that I was smart.  I got excellent marks, and had wonderful comments written on my projects by the profs.  So I held those and read those comments out loud to myself and patted my own back lots.  And then I took a pic with my phone of any of the comments from the profs that I just couldn't part with. 

Then I held those papers to my heart and tried to just imagine all that goodness going right into my skin.  Deep, deep.  So that I wouldn't need the actual papers to prove it to me, anymore, but would have it inside me, carried around inside.

It was still hard!  And I did keep one essay that was particularly pleasing to me.  :)

What do those papers represent for you?  What is it that makes you want to hold on to them? 
I ask that from a curious and very open space - I think those papers have value for us and it's worth thinking about it!

Is it possible to allow yourself to keep one thing that sums that up for you?  Or even two or three things?

Thanks to everyone for your comments on this. I knew the papers were there but I didn't realise how much there was. When I first looked at them, I had to go away and mull things over.

For the college papers, they were indeed proof that I was smart (and I'm glad you found such a wonderful way to work through yours, annieme). For various reasons, things don't come as easily to me now, so they had value for that reason. I've cleared out the notes but kept the essays, for now. I will probably let those go soon too, maybe after scanning a few. However, they were also evidence of myself as a thinking and especially a creative person. It struck me very strongly that creativity is lacking from my life, which I need to think about some more.

The other papers - cards and letters - are not things I've forgotten and I'll be keeping many, at least for a while. I will be doing a sift though, when I visit again, because at least some can go. I'm trying hard to remember who the Patricia and John were who sent me a good luck card in 1999 :)

Overall though - I've reduced the volume of stuff by almost half, which feels pretty good. Thanks for your suggestions!

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #3554 on: July 10, 2016, 01:52:11 PM »
...However, they were also evidence of myself as a thinking and especially a creative person. It struck me very strongly that creativity is lacking from my life, which I need to think about some more.
I very much understand this!  And how wonderful that you could see that something you would like more of in your life right now is that creativity!  :)
Overall though - I've reduced the volume of stuff by almost half, which feels pretty good. Thanks for your suggestions!

That's awesome!  Quite a step!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3555 on: July 11, 2016, 11:01:48 AM »
My planned hiking trip this weekend got cancelled so I think I will spend the weekend doing another purge of my closet and house in general.  I've been at it for a while but it's amazing how many things I decided to keep over the last year that I now realize I don't need at all...

Didn't really do anything other than putting away a couple of items clothing for donation...  I seem to have lost any real motivation for decluttering at this point - I got rid of all the low hanging fruit and now I'm in a holding patter until my daughter graduates next spring because I'm thinking it doesn't make sense to get rid of things that she will want for her own place. 

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #3556 on: July 11, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
Finally letting go of a beautiful, soft, cozy blue wool sweater. Le sigh.

I love that sweater but it does NOT fit.
It is too big.  To be clear, just because it doesn't fall off doesn't mean it fits   :)
Ridiculously too big, and when I wear it that bothers me.

It is hard to let go of something beautiful!
That has so many pleasing qualities woven into one garment.

But when I see how it looks on me, I just don't feel good.  It's boxy and floppy.

(Ha! I only *thought* I was ready to let it go.  Apparently over more re-think before committing it to donation box.)

Reasons I love it include:
Colour
Soft wool that isn't itchy
nice neckline

Reasons to let it go:
It doesn't fit
SIL gave it to me, and that rel'shp is over so I'd like to let go of the reminder
It is bulky and doesn't fit under my down jacket or raincoat.
It is bulky and doesn't store well in my sweater drawer

Phew!  Got it!  Time to send it on to someone else who will love it  :)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3557 on: July 11, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this.

SO JEALOUS

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3558 on: July 11, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
We're moving soon and my boyfriend suggested going through Every item this weekend to see what we can get rid of. As a minimalist I'm extremely excited about this.

SO JEALOUS

Seconded!

Also (most likely) moving later this month. I'm decluttering my things and mutual things, but it would be a huge help if he could cull a few books and magazines.

I feel like I'm permanently decluttering at the moment. Just constantly on guard against the number of things coming into the house. My husband travels for work, so there is just an influx of business/first class airline goodies, itineraries, event programs, USB sticks...

Every time he comes home I have to sort through 15 or 20 things and decide, keep or toss or donate.

I've asked him to at least toss in his hotel anything that doesn't need to come home. That will help the process.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3559 on: July 11, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Pulled out two giant boxes of DH's figurines that he hasn't touched in years. There's paint and god knows what in there. They take to 1/4 of the floor space in our crafty room, so now they're out of the cupboard, they need to be sorted ASAP. I'm hoping most of the bulk is crap he doesn't want and poor organisation so we can fit it into one shelf of the new shelving ...

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3560 on: July 12, 2016, 05:40:52 AM »
Anyone else watch Insight on hoarding and minimalism tonight?

I watched it while adding printed Taste.com.au recipes to my online Taste.com.au account. This will let me toss two small folders.

(I have my favourites hand-written in a recipe book, but most of the Taste.com.au recipes were saved for 'some day'.)

Save Our Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3561 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:34 AM »
I never know what to do about art supplies, I'm in the process of redecorating and decluttering my room and I came across all my art materials that I really love but they overwhelm me. The thing is, I know I will use the supplies but they take up so much space! And through the decluttering process I find old objects that I can turn into new art projects. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really want the serenity of a clear space but my creativity is important too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3562 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Is it too late to join in? DH and I are moving in less than a month! Although we're essentially doubling our square footage (970 to 1899!), I would still like to make the move easier, and use it as an opportunity to clear things out that we don't need anymore!

The funny thing is, I think I need to go through our clothes, but we're going to have a walk in closet... it's going to look comically empty! But that's no reason to keep clothes that are unloved and unworn. I'll just have to get comfortable with white space!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3563 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »
Anyone else watch Insight on hoarding and minimalism tonight?
Nope, but I'll be checking out tomorrow if I can watch it online.

I never know what to do about art supplies, I'm in the process of redecorating and decluttering my room and I came across all my art materials that I really love but they overwhelm me. The thing is, I know I will use the supplies but they take up so much space! And through the decluttering process I find old objects that I can turn into new art projects. Any suggestions on what I should do? I really want the serenity of a clear space but my creativity is important too.
I have done it by working out the categories of things in my craft space:
Tools = actual told and stuff I replace if it runs out, eg paint, brushes, stamps, punches, white card, sewing machine

Projects = all the items specific to a particular project get boxes up together. That way I can see how far I'm through, what i need to finish it etc.

Supplies = this is my "useful one day" pile. It should be as small as possible, because it should be sorted into new projects to be used up as I go.

Hope that helps :) the idea of "modules" also helped me sort my supplies by different kind of crafting activity.

Is it too late to join in? DH and I are moving in less than a month! Although we're essentially doubling our square footage (970 to 1899!), I would still like to make the move easier, and use it as an opportunity to clear things out that we don't need anymore!

The funny thing is, I think I need to go through our clothes, but we're going to have a walk in closet... it's going to look comically empty! But that's no reason to keep clothes that are unloved and unworn. I'll just have to get comfortable with white space!
This is a rolling thread, never too late to join :)

Save Our Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3564 on: July 12, 2016, 10:52:06 AM »
Thanks @anatidaev, I really like this idea of categorising. I agree about the modules too, I just need to find a home for each different project! Thanks again :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3565 on: July 12, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
Listed an unused TV stand and microwave on CL. If I do't get bites in 1 week, They'll go to Buy Nothing Project, then goodwill if no interest there.

Slow, but starting. Dreading old papers!

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3566 on: July 12, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
Sorted through my spare bedroom tonight. It's intended as an multifunction space for office, guests and reading but has (as all spare rooms) become a "let's put this random junk in here and sort throw it later"-space. Later, of course, meaning "never".

Dumped all the junk on the floor and forced myself to find a home for it. Half a bag of random paperwork found their home in the garbage. A bag of books is in wait for new homes at the used books store. The rest was useful stuf that's in the box it belongs in. Need to get a box of school memorebelia into the storage room and a broken computer to recycling, then it's an actual space again. For me. Not stuff.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3567 on: July 13, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
Hey All!

I'm new to this thread -- I started reading at the beginning but there were too many posts :-)

Anyway, DH and I are going to move this fall.  We are most likely buying a house and getting more space.  However,  we've been in our current 800 sf apartment for 5 years and boy do we have a lot of "stuff".  I'd like to get rid of anything that we truly don't use to make the move easier.  I figure I've going until mid to late September to get through everything.

We got through his clothes and donated/sold about 5 large grocery bags worth.  I basically took out all of his non work clothes and made him sort through them.  I routinely make sure his work clothes are in decent shape so there was no need to go through them.

I'm onto my clothes but I have a feeling I'll have to do them in stages.  I've recently gained a bunch of weight (stress related to moving, an injury cutting down my running a lot) so I have a lot of clothes that don't fit right now, but hopefully will fit again in a couple of months.  I'm doing a first pass through for stuff that is just plain worn out or that I don't like at all.  When we actually move I'll do another pass through for fit.  Hopefully that'll motivate me to get back into shape.

I think the big fight will be over books - DH has quite a collection and really intends to collect them.  If I can even get him to cut out 20% of his books that'll be a big accomplishment.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3568 on: July 13, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
Last night I culled an inch-high stack of papers from my filing system.

I have a box of things that are to leave the house for new homes (charity, husband's work, in-laws' house, etc).

It's not really clutter but I am trying to run down the pantry and toiletries before we move. Five jars of salsa seemed like a good idea when they were on sale. So did the seven big tubes of toothpaste, six bottles of body wash, five bottles of hand soap and 12 deodorants.

I've somehow never shaken my mum's practice of stockpiling, which made sense when we lived 25km from the nearest supermarket. But I now live 250m from two supermarkets, and walk past them almost every day. >.<

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3569 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
Hey All!

I'm new to this thread -- I started reading at the beginning but there were too many posts :-)

Anyway, DH and I are going to move this fall.  We are most likely buying a house and getting more space.  However,  we've been in our current 800 sf apartment for 5 years and boy do we have a lot of "stuff".  I'd like to get rid of anything that we truly don't use to make the move easier.  I figure I've going until mid to late September to get through everything.

We got through his clothes and donated/sold about 5 large grocery bags worth.  I basically took out all of his non work clothes and made him sort through them.  I routinely make sure his work clothes are in decent shape so there was no need to go through them.

I'm onto my clothes but I have a feeling I'll have to do them in stages.  I've recently gained a bunch of weight (stress related to moving, an injury cutting down my running a lot) so I have a lot of clothes that don't fit right now, but hopefully will fit again in a couple of months.  I'm doing a first pass through for stuff that is just plain worn out or that I don't like at all.  When we actually move I'll do another pass through for fit.  Hopefully that'll motivate me to get back into shape.

I think the big fight will be over books - DH has quite a collection and really intends to collect them.  If I can even get him to cut out 20% of his books that'll be a big accomplishment.

Welcome! Re the books - I'm a bookworm as well. It makes a difference if you know that you personally will be the person to dust, pack, move, unpack, and arrange every single book. Including the bookcases.

Also, designate a set number of bookcases that he has, and inform him that ALL of his books must be on those bookshelves and it has to be semi-neat. No boxes, no stacks nearby, no piles all over the house. Beyond that, leave him to it. Even better if you get him to agree happily to the # of bookcases ahead of time so he can't argue that it's your fault (or really, he could but he'd be in the wrong).

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3570 on: July 14, 2016, 05:20:50 AM »

Welcome! Re the books - I'm a bookworm as well. It makes a difference if you know that you personally will be the person to dust, pack, move, unpack, and arrange every single book. Including the bookcases.

Also, designate a set number of bookcases that he has, and inform him that ALL of his books must be on those bookshelves and it has to be semi-neat. No boxes, no stacks nearby, no piles all over the house. Beyond that, leave him to it. Even better if you get him to agree happily to the # of bookcases ahead of time so he can't argue that it's your fault (or really, he could but he'd be in the wrong).

Thanks for the advice :-)  I'll try for that.  Currently we have just a few book piles.  Living in 800 sf of space I've been able to limit him.  I think that when we move to a house he imagines he'll just have like a library/office filled with books.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3571 on: July 14, 2016, 05:29:52 AM »
Turning out some cupboards tonight.

Problematic items that I'm still considering: photos (most of which exist in digital form), negatives, and souvenirs from trips.

The souvenirs - pins, figurines, etc - have been in a box for five (?) years, and we have no real interest in displaying them. I hate having things around to dust. I should donate them...

Oh, and a small Pringle can of sand from a very famous beach. Which was probably illegal to bring back into Australia.

Good_Juju

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3572 on: July 14, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
New to the thread as well.
I should get rid of stuff...
Some things I need to go through include notes from college. I'd like to scan these and have them digital since I know I will probably never need them but I would feel assured having them. Other than that I need to go through all of the nick nack drawers that I have. We have a roommate moving in Aug 1st so I'll probably need to get rid of more. I've got 2 dining room tables which is ridiculous for my 900 sqft apartment, so I need to contemplate getting rid of one of those again.

The biggest help to my decluttering effort has been my dog. Occasionally she decides she is going to destroy something and I have to evaluate "did I really need that - do I need to replace it?"

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3573 on: July 14, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
Had a mini fashion show last night and got rid of everything that didn't fit perfectly.  Am also being more selective on what colours I keep in my wardrobe.  For example:  I had a nice sweater but the colour did nothing for me so to the goodwill it goes.
I feel so much better when I get rid of things that are not fashionable for me  (although they will be perfectly fine for someone else).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3574 on: July 14, 2016, 03:25:32 PM »
Offloaded my Nintendo Wii to my brother yesterday along with several games.. hadn't played it in a few years.

Not exactly a win for throwing things out because my clutter becomes his but I'll claim it for now :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3575 on: July 14, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
Offloaded my Nintendo Wii to my brother yesterday along with several games.. hadn't played it in a few years.

Not exactly a win for throwing things out because my clutter becomes his but I'll claim it for now :)

That's definitely a win for decluttering! You offloaded it to someone who will use it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3576 on: July 14, 2016, 06:21:54 PM »
Just tossed two large garbage bags of notes from my husband's previous job. They had been stored in plastic tubs in the garage, but enough time has lapsed for them to be trashed.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3577 on: July 15, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »
Today I boxed up a ton of too-small boy clothes into a big box. Also started a smaller box and got rid of a few puzzles, an old dvd  player, books that no one reads anymore, and a scarf that is itchy. Progress!

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #3578 on: July 15, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
I sent off three clothing returns that had been languishing on my dresser a couple of weeks... does that count? :)

Eta: and loaded up my car to take to goodwill in the am.

sis

• Stubble
« Reply #3579 on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:38 AM »
Well I got rid of two trader joe's bags worth of books.  DH put them downstairs in the mailroom in our building.  Perhaps some people will get use out of them.  We were looking for places to sell/trade them in but it seemed that there wasn't much opportunity for that.  We still have a *lot* of books, but that's a start.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3580 on: July 17, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »
5 bags to goodwill and 6 boxes to half price books!  It was a good weekend.

I also finished reading the KonMarie book (in the HPB box already)- and it did give me some good perspective on getting rid of some things. But, even though she says she works with international clients, I think she seriously underestimates both how much stuff Americans have and how much space we have to put it in...  I am still doing my closets one at a time. There is just no way I could find everything from one category to look at it all at once- it's just way too all over the place.  But I am trying to get it all into one space to store.

I have renewed vigor for this.  The baby's room (for the baby that didn't get to come home) had become a junk room, and we just found out we will likely need it again!  And I want the office streamlined so the computer can just go into the guest room and we can use the office as a playroom until the little one is big enough to play downstairs unsupervised.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3581 on: July 17, 2016, 03:00:36 PM »
We've been working on decluttering our kitchen, slowly but surely. I took a box of unwanted coffee mugs, and also a small bag of clothing, to the resale store today. Baby steps!

Also, I had a fandom-related T-shirt that I loved but it really doesn't fit me. But it seemed too nice to just donate. I posted a pic of it to Facebook in case someone I know might want it - and got a taker right away. And it fits her perfectly. She's happy, I'm happy. Yay!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3582 on: July 17, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
It's gone! My old furniture! Wa-hoo! (As the infamous Yoshi would say)

There is so much space in my apartment now the walls echo. Room is lighter too!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3583 on: July 17, 2016, 03:33:38 PM »
Listed an unused TV stand and microwave on CL. If I do't get bites in 1 week, They'll go to Buy Nothing Project, then goodwill if no interest there.

Slow, but starting. Dreading old papers!

Microwave is gone ($40 in hand), and someone is coming by for the TV stand tonight (another $40). Excited about the TV stand, because we bought it used off CL for $40 4 years ago. Crazy how well Ikea items retain their value, haha.

Unintentional minimalism: our kitchen timer was always screwy (hard to add minutes), but it recently stopped alarming most of the time when the timer is up. Totally defeats the purpose. My poor DH was trying to make rice when he got a very very not happy work call. The timer didn't make noise again, and so he went to pantomime throwing it in the trash... except he accidentally let go. I told him to just leave it and not go in after the piece of junk. Good riddance.

Emotionally preparing to get rid of some old workout clothes. I know it's ridiculous to have a hard time getting rid of perma-stinky, pilling shirts, but I have so many hikes logged in these. Including when my husband proposed. Sigh, so silly how much emotion we assign to things!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3584 on: July 17, 2016, 03:40:17 PM »

I have renewed vigor for this.  The baby's room (for the baby that didn't get to come home) had become a junk room, and we just found out we will likely need it again!  And I want the office streamlined so the computer can just go into the guest room and we can use the office as a playroom until the little one is big enough to play downstairs unsupervised.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3585 on: July 17, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »
Great news, iowajes!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3586 on: July 17, 2016, 04:50:20 PM »

congratulations!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3587 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:42 PM »
It's gone! My old furniture! Wa-hoo! (As the infamous Yoshi would say)

There is so much space in my apartment now the walls echo. Room is lighter too!

Awesome work!

I think someone has the decluttering bug now. :D

Congratulations!

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3588 on: July 17, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »

That is wonderful news!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3589 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
Last night I sorted out two small drawers of cables, chargers, batteries, etc.

Tossed four dead lightning cables (eBay cheapies), a handful of dead batteries, and a couple of pre-recall Apple wall chargers (we have half a dozen).

I packaged up an Apple charger, lightning cable, USB cable, micro-USB cable and a couple of other bits and pieces for my husband to take in to his new office tomorrow.

(They've finally moved, seven months after first talking about it! Today is the first day in new digs.)

I also have cutlery and some other kitchen items he can take to help stock work kitchen.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #3590 on: July 18, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »
I sold an incubator (for chicken eggs) today.  $80.  We got rid of the chickens years ago.  Mostly I've been just donating stuff and trashing the crap.  I've been looking at local houses for sale, not really looking for a new house, just looking.  In two years we may want to downsize.  But the looking at all the nicely staged houses makes me crazy.  Then looking at the houses full of knick knaks also makes me crazy, so I go and declutter.   
   I've got a couple of other things up for sale, but no takers.  Thanks to Retired at 63, I've found the online library (Overdrive)  which has allowed me to release some of my books.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3591 on: July 18, 2016, 11:29:04 PM »
Congratulations, Iowajes! Great news!

Today I put a pair of jean shorts in the giveaway box ... They were once too small for me, and now they are too big for me! Wahoooo!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3592 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:43 AM »
I've decided that a few items with residual value, which I was pressuring myself to try to sell on ebay for some $$, are better off being put in a laundry tub as a pile of "things I will offer guests when they come over". As in, maybe one of the girls coming over for dinner this Friday will want an as-new Fossil handbag? Maybe next time my family comes over someone will want this Tupperware flask? etc.

I think that this will mean things *actually leave the house* whereas "I'm going to list it on ebay someday" meant they never did. And donating is great, but if this plan works out I think it will be more rewarding than donating because I get to SEE that someone wants something and will use it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3593 on: July 19, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »
I'm killing two birds this week as we prepare to move and I tackle the long list of address changeovers.

I've received a couple of fundraising letters from charities that I'm either not or no longer interested in supporting. Rather than updating my address, I'm returning them to sender with a note asking to be removed from their database.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3594 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:05 AM »

SO JEALOUS

At -some point- in the next year or so we will be moving into our guest suite to renovate our house (it was derelict when we bought it, so I get to keep my MMM credentials I think, despite the ridiculouslness of a guest suite. We only have 1 bedroom, so it's not as crazy as it sounds)

Anyway, obviously I'm excited about making the house properly habitable. But I am actually more excited about the 'fresh start' when it comes to stuff! Instead of 'moving in', I plan to just go to the guest suite, and come back to the house for every single thing I need. At the end of a month or so, I should have a very clear idea of what I am not using!

Out of season clothes won't count, of course, but I am sooooo looking foward to this!

Iowajes, many congrats, very happy for you.

I've decided that a few items with residual value, which I was pressuring myself to try to sell on ebay for some $$, are better off being put in a laundry tub as a pile of "things I will offer guests when they come over". As in, maybe one of the girls coming over for dinner this Friday will want an as-new Fossil handbag? Maybe next time my family comes over someone will want this Tupperware flask? etc.

I think that this will mean things *actually leave the house* whereas "I'm going to list it on ebay someday" meant they never did. And donating is great, but if this plan works out I think it will be more rewarding than donating because I get to SEE that someone wants something and will use it.
This is a nice idea, but beware creating an obligation for friends and family. Why do you need to see that they will use it? I have had this conversation with my husband. He said, "Let's give it to so and so! It will be nice to know they want it!", and I said, "If we donate we can be -sure- they want it, because they have chosen it and paid money for it". You can be sure your stuff will be put to good use, when someone selects it specially, you know? I'm not trying to criticise, just... people have given me things and expected to see me use them, and it creates an expectation, a burden. If you give something away, just give it away.

And more updates, because I've been away for a while:

I used to buy lots of stuff in bulk. I stopped, oh, over a year ago. I calculated I still have TWO YEARS of tampons in stock. And worst of all, they are not my preferred brand. Ugh.

My husband rang the other day to ask if we needed batteries. I did a check, and said no, we've got 6 of that type. He was worried, "I should get some more!". I said, "No, we don't store stuff anymore! The shop stores it for us!". He didn't buy them.

The following day (literally!) a device which uses 4 batteries ran out. I replaced them. Husband was very worried that now we have only 2 batteries! I was like, "we checked, we had sufficient. Now we know we need some more, so I will put them on the list. This is the system WORKING". I think he is coming round!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3595 on: July 19, 2016, 03:26:55 AM »
I used to buy lots of stuff in bulk. I stopped, oh, over a year ago. I calculated I still have TWO YEARS of tampons in stock. And worst of all, they are not my preferred brand. Ugh.

Would you consider donating them to charity?

In Australia, Share the Dignity collects tampons for homeless women, while The Beauty Bank collects cosmetics and toiletries for women escaping domestic violence.

http://www.sharethedignity.com.au/

http://www.thebeautybank.org/

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3596 on: July 19, 2016, 03:55:04 AM »

Would you consider donating them to charity?

In Australia, Share the Dignity collects tampons for homeless women, while The Beauty Bank collects cosmetics and toiletries for women escaping domestic violence.

http://www.sharethedignity.com.au/

http://www.thebeautybank.org/

I certainly would! A great way to buy some of my preferred ones guilt free, and help people in the process.

I will do some googling, but if anyone is aware of British organisations that accept donations, please do comment. They are boxed and everything!

Hmmm, I wonder if my foodbank will take them? Off to look at the list now. Thank you for the suggestion!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3597 on: July 19, 2016, 03:56:55 AM »
Right, my foodbank website says:

URGENTLY NEEDED ITEMS

TOILETRIES
NAPPIES (ALL SIZES)
TOILET ROLLS
SPONGE PUDDINGS
CUSTARD

It doesn't specify tampons, and I don't want to waste a volunteer's time by emailing, but would you all interpret this as falling under 'toiletries' and being something they need?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3598 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:00 AM »
Okay, I see that "sponge puddings" may refer to contraceptives, but you have me stumped with "custard".

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3599 on: July 19, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »
Okay, I see that "sponge puddings" may refer to contraceptives, but you have me stumped with "custard".

ha ha, no, I was referring to 'Toiletries'!! Sorry. Sponge puddings and custard and typical deserts here and they are running short of the actual food items.

I'm still lolling at sponge pudding as a contraceptive though!