Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850089 times)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3450 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Regarding the piano: In my area, there's an organization that accepts and preps unwanted pianos and gives them to kids (and maybe adults) who want to learn. Maybe there's something similar in your area.

http://pianosforpeople.org/

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3451 on: May 22, 2016, 03:56:47 AM »
I have recently been through my clothes, and encouraged DH to do the same. Have got a few bags to take to donate tomorrow. Also donating some cookbooks and candlestands. My sister is going to take a collection of my old magazines that I had kept for recipes to her work for the children to use. Great to know its all going to be recycled.

I wish I could clear our house of enough stuff that it was easy to clean. Unfortunately there are others in my house that like to keep things. Slowly making progress, bathroom is great, and  the kitchen manages to stay pretty clear also.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3452 on: May 22, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
Roommate and I cleaned the garage this morning. Emptied it, swept, washed, etc. While putting everything back, threw out a couple things and discovered that a box sitting in the garage for the past 6 months has been waiting to go to goodwill... She knows about my goodwill pile and has added to it a few times. Oh well, it'll get taken care of now.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3453 on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:38 AM »

What a great result!  I am pretty much in the same situation as you are.  Cleaning is a breeze now!  And the peaceful feeling in the house is priceless...

It's great isn't it?! I didn't realise how much time I spent putting stuff away, moving it around etc. When I was previously 'cleaning' for a few hour a week I was actually 'stuff managing' for 90% of it, the dusting literally takes seconds if there is nothing in the way. Peaceful is right!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3454 on: May 23, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I finally sorted the box from my ceramics class.  I hate just throwing things out but they can't be recycled.  I put four small pieces out in front of the building with a free sign suggesting they would make good pet dishes. There are quite a few pet owners here soon hoping someone takes them. If not I'll throw them out on Thursday. I had been storing this box on top of my shelving unit. Now that top is almost empty. Perfect.

One of my favorite pair of pants gave up the ghost on our weekend road trip. I very sadly left them in the trash at our air bnb.

I moved the towel bar in the bathroom to a useable location. That should help eliminate some shuffling of towels and drying racks. Yay. The walls are already a mess, so what is one more set of holes if this move is actually useful! 

I am eating the last bits of food in the house this week before I travel for several weeks. This means my fridge is very empty. It's made it easy to rearrange storage. I am now keeping my extra glass jars in the back of the fridge.  The only downside is that they will be damp when I have dry goods to decant into them, but I am so happy to have an easy place to store them. I never use more than a third of the refrigerator space anyway.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3455 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:28 AM »
I sent off a whole package of unwanted crafting supplies and old jewelry (for repurposing/upcycling) to someone on another forum I frequent. (she paid shipping.) So glad to get that out of my house. I always feel guilty for not using up craft supplies even if they're ugly and/or not to my taste.

I am trying to get rid of some vegetable plants I don't have room for, but this is proving surprisingly difficult. I guess I'm going to just put them out at the community garden with a "Free" sign. Got rid of some unwanted planting pots that way already.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3456 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
I am taking a couple of items to consignment this afternoon.  I have also packed a large tote bag with clothes and stuff for donation.  DD has gone through her closet and added a few items too. 

I've noticed that life is much easier when my choices are limited.  Sure it's nice to have lots of options, but mentally I am a lot calmer and less anxious if I have to make fewer choices: clothes, shoes, etc.  So I will continue simplifying my surroundings to achieve as much of that as I can.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3457 on: May 24, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
I am taking a couple of items to consignment this afternoon.  I have also packed a large tote bag with clothes and stuff for donation.  DD has gone through her closet and added a few items too. 

I've noticed that life is much easier when my choices are limited.  Sure it's nice to have lots of options, but mentally I am a lot calmer and less anxious if I have to make fewer choices: clothes, shoes, etc.  So I will continue simplifying my surroundings to achieve as much of that as I can.

Got a check for $76 for consignment items sold over the last month. 

I've been reading up on Project 333 and am really tempted to give it a try.  Now would be a good time, I guess, since it's a start of a new season.  Hmmm...

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #3458 on: May 24, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

I've been reading up on Project 333 and am really tempted to give it a try.  Now would be a good time, I guess, since it's a start of a new season.  Hmmm...

I don't usually cash out at the consignment, but use it to buy more stuff.  I think I'll try asking for the cash this time!  Taking my own bag of stuff in later today, so perfect time to read this post.  :)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3459 on: May 25, 2016, 06:43:08 AM »

I don't usually cash out at the consignment, but use it to buy more stuff.  I think I'll try asking for the cash this time!  Taking my own bag of stuff in later today, so perfect time to read this post.  :)
I try to cash out - if I see something I want to buy, I pay for it separately.  Having to pull out my credit card makes me think harder about the purchases I am making and avoid temptation :-)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3460 on: May 25, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
Success!  Monday I put some ceramics practice pieces out for free in the entryway.  They are all gone today!!  I just took down my notebook paper sign.  So glad to have someone use them instead of just trashing them.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3461 on: May 27, 2016, 04:27:37 AM »
leaving the apartment for 2 months travel.  Only had to throw out 1.5 cups plain yogurt, 3 flour tortillas and half a cup of milk. Boyfriend took a block of cream cheese and a head of garlic. That's pretty dang good. Had the last of the eggs, cheese and black beans for breakfast.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3462 on: May 27, 2016, 05:45:14 AM »
leaving the apartment for 2 months travel.  Only had to throw out 1.5 cups plain yogurt, 3 flour tortillas and half a cup of milk. Boyfriend took a block of cream cheese and a head of garlic. That's pretty dang good. Had the last of the eggs, cheese and black beans for breakfast.

That is very impressive, well done!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3463 on: May 28, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
This is a small thing, but I decluttered my nail polish kit today.  In college, OPI polish was sort of my and my roommate's "thing" and we both amassed quite a collection.  Now I only polish my toenails because my lifestyle is hell on manicures.  So I went through and tried to get down to 12 bottles, which would fit neatly in the little trays of the container, leaving the bottom of my little case for polish remover, cotton swabs and tools.  I did manage to get down to 14 by tossing anything that had dried up, couldn't be opened, or had a very close duplicate color.  Also tossed all the sheer colors since I never use them on my toes.  I could tell by the price stickers on some of the bottles that they are almost 20 years old and still good.  I've got enough variety to use each color maybe once a year, so it should pretty much be a lifetime supply.

There is a hoarder house being cleared out and fixed up around the corner from me.  The piles of garbage stacked up out in the yard are atrocious.  Need to go take another look at it for motivation!

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #3464 on: May 28, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »
Finally going to get rid of a couple pieces of furniture tomorrow! Hung onto one (casual standing desk) because it's relatively new--so embarrassing to realize I shouldn't have bought it!--and the other (storage ottoman) because my cat loves it, but I hate it, and I feed him, so he can deal.

Feels nice just knowing they're headed out the door! Should've gone ahead months ago.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3465 on: May 28, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
De-cluttered a bunch more stuff from the basement today. One shelving unit is almost clear, and then I want to move it out to the garage.

Have a bunch of shredding to do, and then I can take it to the recycling center tomorrow. Fun way to spend a Saturday evening.

Just keep taking bites out of the elephant.

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #3466 on: May 28, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
DD (K) had a yard sale today - well, an indoor yard sale as it rained.  And we got rid of so much stuff.  The deal was that then K could keep all the money for her moving fund, but she also had to pack up and take away anything left over.  Glory glory, worked like a charm.  I now have my living room back and have gotten so much closer to being ready to move.  Also put a few things onto a fb swap and sell group - and whatever isn't gone by tomorrow goes to thrift.  Sold a pair of boots so far.  Keep it going out the door!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3467 on: May 31, 2016, 12:40:06 PM »
Took two empty toner cartridges in to recycle.  Half a cupboard shelf cleared out here at the office.  Yay!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3468 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
I've been decluttering the house slowly for the last few months and I think I have gotten rid of all the low hanging fruit.  I still have a bunch of fall and winter clothes that are waiting to be brought to consignment at the end of the summer.  But other than that, I think I'm in a good place for now, with nothing major remaining to be done.  I think I'm going to turn my focus to decluttering my office at work a bit.  And my e-mail...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3469 on: June 02, 2016, 05:04:26 AM »
A friend asked what I wanted for my birthday. Obviously couldn't think of anything. I said I'm trying to cut down on possessions (and gave a plausible reason that didn't come across as "I don't like material things and I think I'm better than you", I hope).

I suggested getting my nails done or something as I really really don't want any stuff, and I couldn't think of anything I did want experience-wise except a massage, which is really too expensive. We always treat each other to a cheap dinner out, so I couldn't ask for that!

I hope she didn't mind this suggestion. She did ask after all. Well, we'll see. I'll be genuinely happy with anything, I just felt on the spot and it was all I could think of!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3470 on: June 02, 2016, 08:03:13 AM »
The garage fridge and the unrepairable dryer are now on the driveway - closer to curb.  Basement is getting way more spacious with all the decluttering.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3471 on: June 02, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
Took 2 bags of unwanted clothing to the donations dropbox in our neighborhood. Also found a taker for an extra tomato cage that I don't need.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3472 on: June 02, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
A friend asked what I wanted for my birthday. Obviously couldn't think of anything. I said I'm trying to cut down on possessions (and gave a plausible reason that didn't come across as "I don't like material things and I think I'm better than you", I hope).

I suggested getting my nails done or something as I really really don't want any stuff, and I couldn't think of anything I did want experience-wise except a massage, which is really too expensive. We always treat each other to a cheap dinner out, so I couldn't ask for that!

I hope she didn't mind this suggestion. She did ask after all. Well, we'll see. I'll be genuinely happy with anything, I just felt on the spot and it was all I could think of!

I have a good friend that has a birthday in June.  We both have enough stuff, and don't really need anything.  I've started buying flowers for her gift.  Sometimes it's a planter with everything already in bloom, or plants for her garden.  This year she will get 2 pots of dayliles to plant at the cottage.  Dig a hole, plunk them in - done in 5 minutes.  Nothing to store, nothing to look after, but something she can look at, and remember her birthday and friend.   Could you just ask for a small bouquet of your favourite flowers?   

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3473 on: June 02, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
I drug some broken containers and boxes that I had been saving (for no good reason) in the garage out to the curb for bulk trash pick up today. The garage still needs more time and TLC but it was a good start.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3474 on: June 03, 2016, 04:15:10 AM »

I have a good friend that has a birthday in June.  We both have enough stuff, and don't really need anything.  I've started buying flowers for her gift.  Sometimes it's a planter with everything already in bloom, or plants for her garden.  This year she will get 2 pots of dayliles to plant at the cottage.  Dig a hole, plunk them in - done in 5 minutes.  Nothing to store, nothing to look after, but something she can look at, and remember her birthday and friend.   Could you just ask for a small bouquet of your favourite flowers?

That is a brilliant idea, thank you! In fact, flowers for the garden would be even better, as I would like to get more colour out there, but balk at the idea of spending money on something so frivolous, and which I may kill. Thank you!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3475 on: June 04, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
One of the nicest gifts I ever got was a rosebush from my godmother. (She didn't usually gift for birthdays, but this was#16 and she happened to be visiting my family.) Sort of a weird gift for a teenager, but I enjoyed thinking about her every time I looked at it and it made me feel special to get a "grown-up" gift.

What I originally came on here to say was that I spent an hour or so this afternoon rearranging my books. My "help" when I moved in a year ago just opened boxes and dumped them on shelves  which meant that my reference books were mixed with graphic novels which were mixed with signed first editions...went through today and sorted out the "keepers" from the ones that are just passing through, as part of my summer project to "read my own d*** books." I only pulled out about three to give away--I seriously weeded before I moved--but what I do have I can actually find now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:29:38 PM by Noodle »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3476 on: June 05, 2016, 04:53:21 AM »
I seriously weeded before I moved--but what I do have I can actually find now.
I have to do this, and it hurts, I don't want to get rid of any of them!  I often want to reread a book, and it is great having it in the house.  Can you describe your thought processes?  How you decided what to keep and what to get rid of? 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3477 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
Well, I am not a minimalist living with five books artistically displayed on a shelf, by any means! I still have two large and two small bookcases and my goal is to get the books down to the two big bookcases. I also have a large book collection in my office at work; in my field older books are still really valuable and I like being able to lay my hands on something without hiking down the hall to the office collection. And let's not talk about my Kindle/Nook apps!

My criteria may not work for you, because I am not (mostly) a rereader. Basically, I only hold onto books I expect to use again, or a small collection with sentimental value. Right now I have a lot of books that are just here temporarily, because I let the Amazon used books and used book store purchases get out of hand. But since I tend to only buy hard-to-find titles, especially ones that aren't available as e-books, I don't want to get rid of them until I read them, because I can't get these items at the library. Once they are gone, I intend to get rid of the smaller bookcases, and only have a shelf of "To Be Read" at any one time.

So for me, keepers are:

1. Cookbooks that I have used at least once or expect to use again
2. A small collection of books by people I know or with personal inscriptions
3. A small collection of religious books: I have my christening Bible, third-grade Bible, Confirmation Bible, a hymnbook that belonged to my grandmother, and my actual reading Bible now that my confirmation Bible is no longer repairable
4. A few favorite popular fiction books and all the books by one fantasy author I particularly love--these are my comfort books that I do go back to over and over.
5. A few reference books that theoretically I could get rid of, but either I still use them or they have sentimental value (like the dictionary and collected works of Shakespeare I used in college), or a couple of books on decorating where I want the pictures for reference.

I have moved enough over the last 20 years to have not piled up a lot of books that fall outside these categories--last time around, I got rid of cookbooks that no longer reflected how I cook, or that I didn't like, reference books for hobbies I've gotten bored with, or books that had accumulated somehow that I wasn't interested in reading or rereading.

If you are trying to decide what to keep and what to give away, perhaps thinking about what you would want to have right at hand and what you could wait a few days on from the library would help?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3478 on: June 05, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
Thanks for the clarity.  I am in much the same boat - 2 bookshelves lost in the flood, and they were jammed.  Not to mention the 5 bookshelves worth that are OK.

Writing here to get my thoughts out - newish mysteries that the library has (I am usually looking at a week+ wait) - will I want to read them again *right away*?  Yes, keep, no, the library can keep them for me
-older books that the library doesn't have - how likely am I to want to read them again? (problem here is, very likely)
-SFF - libraries tend to be weaker here, especially for older ones - again, which would be library available, which not?
-cookbooks - have been creeping up in numbers, time to cull
- gardening - basic ones can probably go, I am an experienced gardener now (although definitely not an expert), the "story" type ones (you know the kind, I moved and this is what I have done with my garden in the new place over the last 20 years), hmm, must reread and decide
- other reference - sort and cull

- fiction - if I can get inexpensive Kindle or Kobo books I am OK with replacing them, but for a lot of non-fiction I like having the paper (illustrations, instructions, etc.).  I know (and finally have the gut feel) that paper books can be lost, just as electronic ones can be, but for some things I really like paper.

Actually, does anyone know an easy way to cut and paste excerpts from a Kindle or Kobo book to Word or WordPerfect?

And I just looked up an author of old gardening books I have - Amazon.ca is listing them for huge amounts of money. How do I sell a book through them?

Noodle, it may be TMI to share, but who is your comfort fantasy author? I have several favourites, but one is the one whose collected works would keep me sane on a desert island.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3479 on: June 05, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
This weekend's project involved taking everything out of the tack room of my horse trailer, cleaning it all and reorganizing so that I'm not wasting precious space on stuff that can reside at the house.  Didn't actually get rid of much at all, and even bought a few plastic boxes to better organize the tack trunk, but it felt like decluttering!  I do have a small pile of things I'm considering selling off instead of storing, but we'll see.  It still looks like a tack store vomited in my living room, but the trailer is perfectly orderly and decluttered now.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3480 on: June 05, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
Well, not for me, but I helped a friend declutter her crafts this weekend.  We installed a wall hanger for her iron and board, and got probably 2 kitchen trash bags worth of things set to trash or donate.  She will return the favor the next time we both have a weekend free.

DH cleaned out the medicine cabinet, there is a pile to toss, just have to do it.  He also removed the pill bottles from the kitchen counter, that helps a ton!  I find them so cluttery.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3481 on: June 05, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Noodle, it may be TMI to share, but who is your comfort fantasy author? I have several favourites, but one is the one whose collected works would keep me sane on a desert island.

I am sorry for the loss of your books!

Terry Pratchett...and honestly, a big reason I keep all his books is that he is so beloved it can be difficult to lay hands on the books through the library--a long wait, or their copies have been worn out or lost and not replaced. I rarely even see them in used book stores and the used price + shipping on Amazon is not much less than buying a new copy.

For books I wasn't sure about, it was helpful to remember that between inter-library loan and Amazon used books, a lot of books could be revisited or reacquired fairly cheaply. I haven't actually wanted to get any of them back, but knowing I could helped me let go.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3482 on: June 05, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »

I am sorry for the loss of your books!

Terry Pratchett...and honestly, a big reason I keep all his books is that he is so beloved it can be difficult to lay hands on the books through the library--a long wait, or their copies have been worn out or lost and not replaced. I rarely even see them in used book stores and the used price + shipping on Amazon is not much less than buying a new copy.

For books I wasn't sure about, it was helpful to remember that between inter-library loan and Amazon used books, a lot of books could be revisited or reacquired fairly cheaply. I haven't actually wanted to get any of them back, but knowing I could helped me let go.
Well, if I can find value (hard for some of them, they are so old) the insurance is paying replacement cost.  Most of them are still on amazon.ca if not an actual bookstore - most were non-fiction.

I am also looking up a lot of them on the libraries I presently or in the future will use - if they are there, they can go.  It is the older ones that no-one has - not libraries, not Amazon - they are just gone.  So I am probably holding on to them for at least a while.

My go-to is Lois McMaster Bujold - between Barrayar, Chalion, and the Sharing knife world, I can always find someplace to be.  And how can I not love an author who names one of her main characters after Nile Etland (James Schmidt story)?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3483 on: June 06, 2016, 04:02:11 AM »
There's a theme here - I also decluttered my bookshelves this weekend.

I had a few cookbooks where there was one recipe I loved, but I knew I probably wasn't going to make anything else out of it. I photographed the recipe on my phone, printed it out and put it in my recipe binder. Books can now be donated.

I showed my husband what I was keeping, including a book I thought he would never get rid of. (I do not touch his stuff, as I find I can make a huge difference just doing my own, and I don't want to be a nag). Anyway, he saw that book, and said, "oh, you can get rid of that". That would not have happened 18 months ago.

He is really coming round. Since I removed one of our two bookcases he keeps saying, "Oh there is so much space! Doesn't it look great? Oh it's so lovely having so much less stuff". I really think I may be winning the war without fighting a single battle :)

jordanread

« Reply #3484 on: June 06, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
Actually, does anyone know an easy way to cut and paste excerpts from a Kindle or Kobo book to Word or WordPerfect?

I believe that you should be able to use the Kindle Desktop app (maybe even the cloud app where you read it in a browser), and you should be able to just highlight the relevant parts, ctrl+C and ctrl+V (to paste) into Word. If that doesn't work, feel free to PM me. I know for sure a way to make it work, but set up is a bit more involved.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3485 on: June 06, 2016, 06:41:09 AM »
My daughter's grade six class has been doing a discovery project where the kids do research into a question and then develop a project.  They started talking about environmental issues, landed on e-waste and have been doing all kinds of activities that culminate on Saturday with an e-waste drop off and recycling day.  They started out with building an online survey a couple of months ago that they had 325 people complete.  They have walked around our city dropping off flyers at local businesses and asking them to promote the event.  They have written and performed PSA's and newspaper articles, made posters and put them up in the neighbourhood.  They researched different organizing that collect e-waste and chosen one to take the e-waste they collect Saturday.  I am really happy to have an easy (for me) place to clear out all the e-waste that is kicking around in my place.  I think I have an entire bankers  box of cords and wires...hope they are collecting them.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3486 on: June 06, 2016, 09:12:14 AM »
I believe that you should be able to use the Kindle Desktop app (maybe even the cloud app where you read it in a browser), and you should be able to just highlight the relevant parts, ctrl+C and ctrl+V (to paste) into Word. If that doesn't work, feel free to PM me. I know for sure a way to make it work, but set up is a bit more involved.
And my Kindle for PC is outdated (and do is my actual Kindle).  Now i have to update it before I can try anything.
Cut and past doesn't seem to work for Kobo.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3487 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
I've been off the wagon for awhile, but we made good progress last weekend, especially in the garage.

5 bags of clothing to Goodwill.  2 couches removed from the garage for the college student next door who just moved out of her parent's house.  Wire shelving, 2 old printers that were still functional, hose reels, wire shelving, and 45 feet of rabbit fencing.  That was about all I could get DH to part with....

We also filled a garbage can with goods that were unusable or past being able to donate. 

The kids can park their bikes properly, and there is room to walk around in the garage again!  It's still got way too much "stuff" in it, but I'm celebrating our progress.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3488 on: June 07, 2016, 02:16:06 AM »
Well done Couponvan! The change to be able to walk around is huge, it will make everything so much easier.

Fig

• Bristles
« Reply #3489 on: June 12, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
I've handwashed and packed up a bridesmaid dress and cape from a few years go, ready to take to the charity shop with a few other things. No idea why I kept them so long but note to self: do not try on a old dress to see if it still fits, for 'fun' :)

Also shredded a big stack of old papers that were definitely not sparking joy. Much more to do but it feels good.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3490 on: June 12, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
I seriously weeded before I moved--but what I do have I can actually find now.
I have to do this, and it hurts, I don't want to get rid of any of them!  I often want to reread a book, and it is great having it in the house.  Can you describe your thought processes?  How you decided what to keep and what to get rid of?

I did this. Kept everything I've re-read at least 2x. Everything else - that was harder.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3491 on: June 13, 2016, 03:38:02 AM »
I'm getting so ruthless! I have managed to remove our 'wrapping paper storage bin' (yes this was a thing, I am hanging my head in shame), by not buying any for ages and using up stocks. I had one roll of Christmas stuff with my maybe 30cm left on it. Usually I would hem and haw and torture myself with green guilt, keep it for for Christmas or until it got tatty enough to throw it out. I just put it straight in the recycling and got on with my life.

From now on I am only buying generic paper which can be used for birthday / Christmas and any gender or age. Simplicity! I tucked the one silver roll and the brown paper used for parcels in with the packing supplies. Feels great.

Fig

• Bristles
« Reply #3492 on: June 13, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
Oooh, I totally have a wrapping paper storage bin! Not ready to get rid of that as I love wrapping presents nicely - although there are fewer since I decided that gift cards were totally acceptable for certain gifts. Good idea about more generic paper though.

This morning, I threw away *almost* all of my notes from the MA I completed over a decade ago. Ruthless doesn't come easily to me.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3493 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:44 AM »
Oooh, I totally have a wrapping paper storage bin! Not ready to get rid of that as I love wrapping presents nicely - although there are fewer since I decided that gift cards were totally acceptable for certain gifts. Good idea about more generic paper though.

This morning, I threw away *almost* all of my notes from the MA I completed over a decade ago. Ruthless doesn't come easily to me.

Yeah I enjoy the art of wrapping too! I've decided plain paper + lovely ribbons will have to be sufficient. Otherwise I just have 10 half empty rolls of very specific paper and since our place is so small it was too much. I always save ribbons and they tuck away nicely.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3494 on: June 13, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »

Yeah I enjoy the art of wrapping too! I've decided plain paper + lovely ribbons will have to be sufficient. Otherwise I just have 10 half empty rolls of very specific paper and since our place is so small it was too much. I always save ribbons and they tuck away nicely.

I have 1 giant roll of wrapping paper, two sided print. One side is blue with white stars. The other is most definitely a Christmas pattern. EVERYTHING I wrap is done with this paper, whichever side. My friends and family think I'm weird, but have adjusted.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3495 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
Count me in with the reduce gift wrap crowd!  Over the years I stopped buying new paper and gift tags.  We're down to a few rolls, and a bin full of gift bags, bows from prior year's, tissue paper, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

A stack of egg cartons to a chicken owning friend and a set of holey sheets we just replaced will go to the animal shelter this week.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3496 on: June 13, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »
I made a dent in the garage, put like things with like and tossed some stuff that was definitely trash. It looks much more orderly now and I can easily access anything I want. I used the shop vac to clean up all the webs and bugs that accumulated. I need DH to work with me to further whittle down the garage items. There are still things I could probably part with but haven't come to terms with yet as well.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #3497 on: June 13, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
I've combined minimalism-ish with frugality. Anything I haven't used in the last year has been gotten rid of (minus tools, and even some of them are gone). I still have a few things to sell, but besides that, I'm almost there. It's nice to have open space in my 1000 sq ft town house, and daily/weekly cleaning is MUCH easier. The more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to deal with.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3498 on: June 13, 2016, 11:14:39 PM »
Offloaded a table lamp to another forum member on the weekend. They got a free lamp, I have one less thing to deal with.

Also on the weekend I finally delivered two tubs of things I had put aside for a family member.

The inordinately long time between deciding to get rid of something and actually removing it from my apartment was getting me down, so it's great to have it gone at last.

Next job: spare bed. I have six standard pillows, two Euro pillows and two cushions on the spare bed. It looks beautiful all made up, and my excuse is that I have spare pillows in case we have other guests (keeping them on the bed saves me storing them in the linen cupboard). But I could say the same with four guest pillows rather than eight...

Edited for grammar.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:52:39 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

thisisjeopardy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3499 on: June 14, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
Wife and I have a month before we move into our new condo and are in the process of piling up old clothes and other junk to give away to the Salvation Army. Less stuff to move!