Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850067 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3400 on: May 09, 2016, 01:57:04 AM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

+1 Just went on holiday with only hand luggage and it was so liberating to have so few possessions to think about. Of course, mentioning this made DH a very nervous man.
It was travelling with only carry on that started me on this journey! It is so great not to have to drop bags off, and leave them with reception, or worry about where they are being unable to leave the car places because there's stuff on the backseat or whatever. I've done this on various lengths and types of trip now, including large temperature variations, and city / hiking stops on the same trip, and I'm never going back.

I know it's annoying for other passengers when everyone has their luggage on board, but no frills airlines have given mustachians only one option!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3401 on: May 09, 2016, 06:25:50 AM »
It's more of a 1 in, 1 out (but that's better than 1 in, 0 out)- but I bought new t-shirts in the size S, and got rid of all the XS in my closet that I can't fit into anymore.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3402 on: May 09, 2016, 09:02:54 AM »
On holiday and living out of a suitcase right now which is giving me renewed motivation to go home and declutter. I clearly don't need all those clothes I never wear!

+1 Just went on holiday with only hand luggage and it was so liberating to have so few possessions to think about. Of course, mentioning this made DH a very nervous man.
It was travelling with only carry on that started me on this journey! It is so great not to have to drop bags off, and leave them with reception, or worry about where they are being unable to leave the car places because there's stuff on the backseat or whatever. I've done this on various lengths and types of trip now, including large temperature variations, and city / hiking stops on the same trip, and I'm never going back.

I know it's annoying for other passengers when everyone has their luggage on board, but no frills airlines have given mustachians only one option!

Any tips or resources? I'm the girl who can pack a 50.5lb bag (the max SW airlines allowed for free) for a 3 day trip... and we're going to Italy for 2 weeks and planning to do it in a 50L backpack (one for me, one for him at least).

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3403 on: May 09, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »
Any tips or resources? I'm the girl who can pack a 50.5lb bag (the max SW airlines allowed for free) for a 3 day trip... and we're going to Italy for 2 weeks and planning to do it in a 50L backpack (one for me, one for him at least).

Depends a bit on how you will spend your time. Bring clothes that are versatile and can be reworn over and over (if you are the type that washes everything after a single wear, you are going to be stuck). Black slacks can be dressed up or down. Things that can be handwashed and then hung to dry if needed. Shoes that are comfortable and look good so you only need one pair. Pare way down on what toiletries/makeup you really need, be very ruthless. If you bring jewelry, only bring what you wear on the plane.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3404 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »

http://www.onebag.com/  All you need to know about traveling with only carry-on.  Also links to other sites available in case, like me, you get facinated with this.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3405 on: May 09, 2016, 03:55:30 PM »

http://www.onebag.com/  All you need to know about traveling with only carry-on.  Also links to other sites available in case, like me, you get facinated with this.

Perfect! Thank you!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3406 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:57 AM »

This is really nerdy but I made myself a spreadsheet. It lists where we are staying, the average temperature for the time of year (av. high and low), and what kind of activity we might do during the day and evening.

I am exact in that if we're in x city for two days, I know one will be sightseeing on foot, one will be sightseeing in the car, and one night we will have either fancy drinks or dinner. But I'm not like, it's Wednesday, today we must do x! I just list what kinds of activities we'll be doing, so I know what kind of thing I need to wear.

On a trip with city & country, and temperature differences, I tend to do layers. So a cotton dress that looks nice and flowy with flip flops in town in the heat, can be worn with leggings and trainers and a knit tank top underneath on a cooler day. On a colder day the same dress can be worn with a thermal long sleeved t-shirt underneath. That t-shirt can then also be worn on a very cold day with trousers for hiking, with the same leggings underneath those if necessary. I can sleep in the thermal t-shirt whilst camping, if it's really freezing. And then when we're back in a city the cotton dress with heels and a belt, and we're out on the town.

I take wedge heels for evening wear. White jeans, rolled up a little with wedges and a nice vest type top is appropriate for dinner and drinks most places if I don't want to wear that dress every time we go out. The white jeans with a t-shirt is fine for mid temperature days, with trainers or flip flops depending on weather. I look for versatile items. I don't wear jeans much, and blue denim is limiting, but white can read casual or dressy. Dresses are great:  The same one can go from very casual, to summery, to eveningy, just by changing your shoes and demeanour.

Anyway, I list activities, locations, temperatures, and then I choose a rough 'outfit' for each day and evening. I have a tab in the workbook that lists items I am considering taking by 'genre' eg dresses, trousers, t-shirts, vests etc. I include the correct underwear (eg white jeans!) and swimwear.

On the 'day planner' tab I select the clothes from a drop down linked to the second tab showing me what clothes I think I will take. I then use a 'count-if' function to tell me how many times I plan to wear each item on the trip. For a trip of 10 days + if something is not being worn 3 times MINIMUM I remove it, and reallocate something else those days.

I take laundry soap sheets - they are dry little sheets you dissolve in warm water so they can't spill. I only wash things that are dirty (in life, as well as on holiday). Once something is declared 'dirty' it goes in a wash bag to keep it separate. If we happen to stay in a hotel with washing machines (much common than I knew before going carry on), we will put a wash on a night we stay in and do a grocery store picnic. Honestly, I find it fun to work these things out, like a little adventure in our hotel. Otherwise I will pull things out as needed from the wash bag and do it in the bathroom sink and hang over the shower rail / towel rack. I always do this in the evening, by morning it is usually dry.

Pare down on cosmetics massively. I usually buy shampoo when I arrive as I love foreign grocery stores / pharmacies. Get a smallish bottle and you won't need to bring it home. I avoid hotel freebies as they are a lot of packaging for a small amount of product and seem wasteful. 1 lipstick, 1 blusher, it will simplify things greatly.

Depending on where you are going, most things can be bought. Eg, recent trip to the states I was due my period. Years ago I would have taken everything I needed. But they sell tampons in America, you know! I took 1 in my handbag, used that when needed, and immediately went to find a CVS. Not a big deal.

(On a different trip, I had the same plan but my period was a week early! I had 1 tampon and a two day train trip with NO stops. They did not sell feminine hygiene items on board. After a 30 second panic, I got over myself, asked around, and made a couple of very nice friends who gave me what I needed! So if you are somewhere inaccessible, take items with you! But also, most humans are nice, and humbling yourself and asking for help is a good thing to do once in a while, and gives you greater empathy with your fellow humans).

You will have fewer outfit choices. You probably won't care. If you plan carefully, and make sure you feel good in everything you take, no-one will notice you are rewearing the same stuff.

I take a mac (ugh, is this a British word?) - a trench coat? Lightweight. With layers underneath it will protect you from the wind which is often all you need for keeping warm if you have a thermal base layer and cardigan on underneath. Good for over your knees on the plane. I also take a large scarf. It will be a blanket, sun protection, and I can tie it over my head if we hire a convertible. On a cold day it will really make a difference.

Here's what I took for 18 nights in Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico with mid way stops in the cooler mountains and finishing off at the grand canyon where it was really cold: 3 dresses, 1 trousers, 2 leggings, white jeans, navy skirt, 4 tops (2 sleeveless - one of which acts as tank underneath other stuff on colder days, 1 short sleeved, 1 long-sleeved), 2 cardigans, flip flops, trainers, wedges, belt, swimsuit, bikini, mac, scarf.

It was plenty and I had loads of choice. You just add layers for colder weather, and take them off for warmer. I stick to navy / white as the 'base' colour for bottoms and cardigans, and tops / scarves etc in bright colours all mix in nicely.

Also: I don't have kids and am generally not a messy person. Also, planning my vacation, down to packing, is a lot of the fun of it for me. I know this system will not work for people who hate organising and spill stuff constantly.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3407 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:57 AM »
I've been on a really good decluttering kick again, must be the warmer weather.:)

The only downside is that some of the stuff had to be trashed so my rubbish bin is very full this week.

UKfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3408 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21:12 AM »
As a fellow de-clutterer this NHK TV programme appeared in my Facebook feed this morning; Marie Kondo, KonMari, 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying':

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/konmari/20160507.html

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3409 on: May 10, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »

This is really nerdy but I made myself a spreadsheet. It lists where we are staying, the average temperature for the time of year (av. high and low), and what kind of activity we might do during the day and evening.

It was plenty and I had loads of choice. You just add layers for colder weather, and take them off for warmer. I stick to navy / white as the 'base' colour for bottoms and cardigans, and tops / scarves etc in bright colours all mix in nicely.

Also: I don't have kids and am generally not a messy person. Also, planning my vacation, down to packing, is a lot of the fun of it for me. I know this system will not work for people who hate organising and spill stuff constantly.

Super helpful! Thank you so much.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3410 on: May 10, 2016, 08:16:57 PM »

[...]

On the 'day planner' tab I select the clothes from a drop down linked to the second tab showing me what clothes I think I will take. I then use a 'count-if' function to tell me how many times I plan to wear each item on the trip. For a trip of 10 days + if something is not being worn 3 times MINIMUM I remove it, and reallocate something else those days.

Oh wow! That's amazing.

On a slight different note, I've found that it's a LOT easier to pack with a decluttered wardrobe. If you only have clothes that you love and wear a lot, then packing is simple - anything you pack is something you love.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3411 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:23 PM »
As a fellow de-clutterer this NHK TV programme appeared in my Facebook feed this morning; Marie Kondo, KonMari, 'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying':

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/konmari/20160507.html

Thanks for the link! I haven't read the book (the queue to get it from the library is humongous) so I was intrigued to watch this. It's inspired me to have yet another go at my clothes. I've been fairly ruthless over the years and cull from time to time, but it's always good to check if I still love everything in my wardrobe or not.

I've now thrown out 4 elderly pairs of undies and have 2 belts to donate to the recycle shed. More importantly, I've now folded my bras and all my undies as per KonMari. I have to say, my surgical bras do NOT spark joy. However, I do still need to wear them for a while longer so I reluctantly folded them and put them in a drawer. I'm trying to think of them like my medicines. Taking tablets does not spark joy but it's better than the alternative, so I take them.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3412 on: May 11, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »
Just ditched a few pairs of tights that had worn through at the heel, a pair of shoes that had worn out at the heel (pattern there!) and set aside some clothes to consider donating.

My house is full of (mostly unopened) wedding presents, wedding cards, and other people's stuff they lent me for the wedding, like tablecloths. I foresee a lot of organising / decluttering happening between now and when I go back to work on Monday.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #3413 on: May 11, 2016, 02:54:06 AM »
I'm cleaning out the shed this month. Have thrown away some old rusted or broken pots and have a nice little pile to go to the thriftshop this afternoon (if I can make it there before they close).

Thinking of going through my closet again after that. I purged it last year, but even though I've only bought a few items I've noticed that a lot of clothes stay unused. And when I think "I might wear this today" I always find a reason not to. These are clothes I loved, once, and I'm not quite sure if they're worn/washed so they fit poorer now or if I'm just done with them. Either way: I can't keep stuff I don't wear. (I have a pile of 6 pants. I wear 2 of them. Over and over and over.. I used to wear the others a lot, but then I got these 2. And they are soooo soft.)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3414 on: May 11, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »
Filed a bunch of papers yesterday morning that were waiting to go into the filing cabinet.  While doing it, I purged a bunch of old statements and bills.  Now I just need to remember to bring them to work for shredding.  Switched my settings at Schwab to paperless except for tax forms and trade confirms, so that will cut down on the statements I get in the mail.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3415 on: May 11, 2016, 07:30:32 AM »
I have make up. It's all out of date according to "use by" guidelines. It's surprisingly hard to part with, because what if I want to do my makeup for some event in the future?...
...well, I'll have to buy new makeup anyway because it's unhygenic to use old stuff on your face. Does infrequently used makeup have a longer use-by date?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3416 on: May 11, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
The last three weeks we have sold or thrown away about 30,000 pounds of stuff (no joke) downsizing from a 5000 sqft house with 5 car garage to a 200 sqft RV+sailboat

A massive decluttering.   Still have about 5,000 pounds to go though.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3417 on: May 11, 2016, 07:38:41 AM »
I have make up. It's all out of date according to "use by" guidelines. It's surprisingly hard to part with, because what if I want to do my makeup for some event in the future?...
...well, I'll have to buy new makeup anyway because it's unhygenic to use old stuff on your face. Does infrequently used makeup have a longer use-by date?

I'm no expert but what I do is: throw out mascara 3-6 months after opening, throw out eyeshadow that's more than a couple of years old and the rest I keep until i use it up or if I'm a bit suspicious about it for whatever reason. I'm a lot more careful about makeup for the eyes than anywhere else because infections can be dangerous.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3418 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »

I'm no expert but what I do is: throw out mascara 3-6 months after opening, throw out eyeshadow that's more than a couple of years old and the rest I keep until i use it up or if I'm a bit suspicious about it for whatever reason. I'm a lot more careful about makeup for the eyes than anywhere else because infections can be dangerous.

+1. Be careful with eye stuff. Otherwise: I'm fairly sure powder products (powder blush and foundation) stay good for years whereas liquid products really do 'turn' in my limited experience.

Makeup / bathroom products are on my list to purge within the next few weeks!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3419 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »

+1. Be careful with eye stuff. Otherwise: I'm fairly sure powder products (powder blush and foundation) stay good for years whereas liquid products really do 'turn' in my limited experience.

I need to go through my make-up, it's more of a hobby for me(plus I wear some go-to stuff every day) so I have a ton of really high quality products (almost entirely MAC) but a lot of it is half used and then forgotten. MAC actually will take their old containers back for recycling and if you bring in 6 you can get a free lipstick. I have enough old/empties that I could probably get at least 4 lipsticks... Remembering that it is "expired" does make some of it easier to let go.

I need to declutter my kitchen badly too. Those two areas are next on my list.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3420 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »

yep, i throw out my mascaras and my foundation after a few months or whenever they seem to go manky on me ... if you have older eye shadow or lipstick that you still like, you can always rub the top layer off onto a tissue and give it a spritz with rubbing alcohol to freshen it up (this is what they do at sephora so that you can try things and not get gross infections). i have a couple of fancy eyeshadow palettes that are a few years old that i've done this with, because fancy eyeshadow is stupid expensive and lasts forever in terms of how much you need to use, and i kind of refuse to throw them out!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3421 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »

Anecdotal only, but I had blush and eyeshadow that was easily more than a decade old and nothing bad happened to me.  Mascara I throw out every few years.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3422 on: May 11, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
The last three weeks we have sold or thrown away about 30,000 pounds of stuff (no joke) downsizing from a 5000 sqft house with 5 car garage to a 200 sqft RV+sailboat

Good god. :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3423 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

Yeah! Holy cow, how did I miss that!? That is a serious change in lifestyle. Any reason things are happening that drastically?

jordanread

« Reply #3424 on: May 11, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

Yeah! Holy cow, how did I miss that!? That is a serious change in lifestyle. Any reason things are happening that drastically?

Because Roland is a bad ass who built his own RV (with workshop).

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3425 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »

Because Roland is a bad ass who built his own RV (with workshop).

Amazing!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3426 on: May 12, 2016, 03:51:58 AM »

Oh wow! That's amazing.

On a slight different note, I've found that it's a LOT easier to pack with a decluttered wardrobe. If you only have clothes that you love and wear a lot, then packing is simple - anything you pack is something you love.

Totally. In fact, it worked the other way for me - I planned a long trip as above, and when I got back, I realised how easy it had been to dress from a small selection. Packing only carry on is what brought me to decluttering and minimalism! I wanted my whole life to be that streamlined and simple.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3427 on: May 12, 2016, 03:53:00 AM »

Super helpful! Thank you so much.

Thanks. Glad you found it helpful because it was kind of an essay and I felt like a bit of jerk taking up half a page with my ramblings!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3428 on: May 14, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
Three boxes of textbooks, an old freezer the size of a bar fridge, a pool light (fibreboard, not worth recycling the wood) and a pool table are gone gone gone.  The pool table was the long size, and took two strong men over 3 hours to demolish and remove.  Suddenly the basement has space.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3429 on: May 14, 2016, 04:28:55 PM »
I buy Clinique foundation and it never goes bad.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3430 on: May 15, 2016, 06:38:50 AM »
I cleared out all the cables I had lying around. This wasn't even hard-core decluttering, just throwing out stuff that I could say with 100% certainty that I would never need again.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3431 on: May 15, 2016, 07:38:42 AM »
Thanks on the makeup advice! I'll be careful with the eye stuff, and see about trying decontam methods for some of the others.

I cleared out all the cables I had lying around. This wasn't even hard-core decluttering, just throwing out stuff that I could say with 100% certainty that I would never need again.
Getting rid of that pile looks satisfying!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3432 on: May 15, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »
I am quite proud that the stack that went to Goodwill today was small--meaning that I did a good job clearing out when I moved a year ago, and a good job not accumulating more in the meantime--aside from a bag of clothes, most of what I was clearing out were items I wasn't sure if I would need in the new place. Got rid of an air filter, a box of small items, a coffee-maker and an air-mattress and pump. I did have a humorous moment loading the car, though--my apartment complex has a street gate right by my unit and a parking garage a bit farther away, where my car was parked. When I went out with the first load, I looked to see if the loading zone by the gate was free and was disappointed to see that it was not, because one of my neighbors had parked encroaching on it. It was only when I had hauled load 1 all the way to the garage that I realized I could just pile everything on the curb and then pull my car around and double-park long enough to load the trunk (it's a very quiet side street, esp on Sunday morning). What was the worst that could happen--someone stole the stuff? Then they'd be saving ME work of dragging it to Goodwill!

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3433 on: May 15, 2016, 04:15:07 PM »

I'm not sure about where you are, but here we can take old power cables to the scrap metal dealers. They are keen on the copper etc in the cables so will recycle them.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3434 on: May 15, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
Pulled a box of stuff out from under the stairs and threw it in the bin. Found the stuffed floppy puppy I made for my son when he was a baby. That went in the closet. I will save it for my first grandchild.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3435 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »

I'm not sure about where you are, but here we can take old power cables to the scrap metal dealers. They are keen on the copper etc in the cables so will recycle them.
If in the US, Best Buy accepts cables for recycling. They have drop off boxes right by the entrance to the store.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #3436 on: May 16, 2016, 12:57:35 AM »

We (Denmark) have public recycling yards that will accept the cables and recycle them. I'll let the government keep that money since the yards also accept and process nasty/expensive stuff like chemicals and asbestos.

ThomFred59

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Piano!
« Reply #3437 on: May 16, 2016, 05:24:40 AM »
Who has actually sold or donated a piano recently? We've exhausted our friends and co-workers with offers to give our piano (a nice petite grand) away as long as they pay the moving costs (to no avail). Seems to be a glut of pianos on the market, and eBay and craigslist have proven to only attract dead end offers.

Thoughts?

mwulff

• Bristles
Re: Piano!
« Reply #3438 on: May 16, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
Who has actually sold or donated a piano recently? We've exhausted our friends and co-workers with offers to give our piano (a nice petite grand) away as long as they pay the moving costs (to no avail). Seems to be a glut of pianos on the market, and eBay and craigslist have proven to only attract dead end offers.

Thoughts?

Maybe use it as firewood? I'm only half way kidding actually. It takes up space and is a sunk cost. Burning it will allow you to save money on heat.

Could pieces of it be worked into new furniture perhaps?

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3439 on: May 16, 2016, 08:03:19 AM »

Thoughts?

Almost as bad as try to give away free asbestos.  Unless it is some highly regarded brand, no one is going to want it.  Maybe break it up in place and recycle the parts the best you can?

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #3440 on: May 16, 2016, 08:31:10 AM »
Glad to find this thread!  I am in the process of moving from a small house to a single room in a shared apartment and have  been decluttering/downsizing.  Reading about KonMarie reminded me she has a chapter about momentos.  I have a shelf of picture albums/old letters/stuff like that and I haven't known how to tackle it.  I'll read that chapter and see what she's got to say.

jordanread

« Reply #3441 on: May 16, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »

Thoughts?

I'd almost suggest painting "Play Me, I'm Yours" and just putting it in a park. :-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3442 on: May 16, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »
The problem is usually getting it out of the house in one piece, especially if it is not on the main floor.  I had a pool table to sell/give away and ended up demolishing it to get my space back. No-one wanted it.

Thoughts?

I'd almost suggest painting "Play Me, I'm Yours" and just putting it in a park. :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3443 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
The problem is usually getting it out of the house in one piece, especially if it is not on the main floor.  I had a pool table to sell/give away and ended up demolishing it to get my space back. No-one wanted it.

Thoughts?

Any schools around you can offer it to?

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3444 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
Brought about 20 or so (didn't bother to count) empty ink cartridges to Office Max last weekend.  I had no idea that many had accumulated here at the office.  :S  Here's to using more toner than ink in the future to save $$.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3445 on: May 18, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

Thoughts?

Our town has public pianos. It's fun.

If your city has large item trash pick up (ours does annually), put it out the night before. If someone has a truck large enough they will take it (unaware how hard they are to get rid of).  Otherwise it will be gone anyway.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »
Sorted out all the rags we keep for messy jobs and home improvement work. I designated an ikea bin and decided we could have whatever would fit in there. Went through every rag and it really made me see which were the most useful types. The rest are going to recycling.

Yesterday I had a day off. I was looking forward to pottering round the house, doing jobs, tidying, a bit of cleaning, just generally making things look nice. I was struck - not for the first time since my major decluttering last year - by how easy my life is now. I looked around and there was literally nothing to do.

Nothing to put back in its place (except for one remote control). No piles that needed to be taken upstairs, or from one room to another. No papers piled high that needed to be dealt with. Nothing to repair or mend or procrastinate over. Just a peaceful house.

I had a lovely day, but I had unused house-cleaning energy, so I dusted. Now I don't have anything blocking my way, it took, and I am not exaggerating, 2 mins to do every surface in my living room. DH had done upstairs at the weekend as it is so easy now we just do it without thinking.

Previously, cleaning was a big onerous job, because you had to move so much stuff, find somewhere to put it, put it all back etc. The dust was worse because we did it less often, and it got spread about by moving things back and forth.

Thank you for this thread!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3447 on: May 19, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »
I got the Konmari book out the library the other day, read the whole thing in 2 nights, and yesterday we did her method.. sort of. i cant be bothered to take everything out my closet and then rehang it, but i was able to go through it on the hangers ok. We ended up taking a whole stationwagon filled with stuff to Goodwill yesterday :)
Thanks for the vid, it was nice to see her in person. I think i will go back in and fold my clothes her way today :-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3448 on: May 20, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Sorted out all the rags we keep for messy jobs and home improvement work. I designated an ikea bin and decided we could have whatever would fit in there. Went through every rag and it really made me see which were the most useful types. The rest are going to recycling.

Yesterday I had a day off. I was looking forward to pottering round the house, doing jobs, tidying, a bit of cleaning, just generally making things look nice. I was struck - not for the first time since my major decluttering last year - by how easy my life is now. I looked around and there was literally nothing to do.

Nothing to put back in its place (except for one remote control). No piles that needed to be taken upstairs, or from one room to another. No papers piled high that needed to be dealt with. Nothing to repair or mend or procrastinate over. Just a peaceful house.

I had a lovely day, but I had unused house-cleaning energy, so I dusted. Now I don't have anything blocking my way, it took, and I am not exaggerating, 2 mins to do every surface in my living room. DH had done upstairs at the weekend as it is so easy now we just do it without thinking.

Previously, cleaning was a big onerous job, because you had to move so much stuff, find somewhere to put it, put it all back etc. The dust was worse because we did it less often, and it got spread about by moving things back and forth.

What a great result!  I am pretty much in the same situation as you are.  Cleaning is a breeze now!  And the peaceful feeling in the house is priceless...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3449 on: May 21, 2016, 12:20:19 AM »

What a great result!  I am pretty much in the same situation as you are.  Cleaning is a breeze now!  And the peaceful feeling in the house is priceless...
Us too! We've got a quarterly rent inspection, and instead of spending evenings tidying so we could get to stuff to clean it, we just started cleaning! I even washed the windows and the inside of the oven.