Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850135 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3200 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »
Another car load out - literally, the whole of the back of a Mazda 3 hatchback, with the seats down.  4 boxes, many bags, 2 cork boards, a sleeping bag.  Nice to have all the stuff out of the front hall.  That is 2 car loads and 3 animal crates so far.  It hurts to say this, but this was the easy stuff.  Now I need to hunt a little harder.  I have also discovered that I was doing a lot of "but I might use this some day" thinking, which is stupid.  Someone else can use this stuff now, and if I need it in the future, none of it was incredibly special or hard to get - I can hit a thrift shop and replace it. 

We are expecting about 10 cm of snow tomorrow, perfect time to hit the kitchen and then start on the basement.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3201 on: February 24, 2016, 12:38:37 PM »
Got rid of a huge black trash bag full of expired food and empty snack boxes, etc. from the pantry.  Moved all the flour from the 25 lb bags into smaller containers.  Threw all the 1/16 of a box of cereal into baggies and got rid of the Costco sized boxes.  Gave myself permission to throw out the open flax seed my dear sister brought last summer and the opened gluten free flour she brought as well. We aren't gluten free and no one nearby is either....yes I should have given it to someone who needs it, but if I haven't done it since last summer it isn't going to happen. 

My mother in law brings over 2 jars of canned fruit every time she visits - we probably have 25 jars of canned fruit from the last 5 months dinner visits.  We like fresh fruit, but she won't take hers home.  I need to donate this ASAP...or start sucking it up and eating canned fruit.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3202 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
Decided to donate the ice cream/fro yo/sorbet maker and helmet mentioned on a prior page, a toaster oven, and printer with toner to a local Boy Scout fundraiser yard sale.  Perhaps they'll have better luck selling the items than I did online.  DH insists on keeping a 4 slice toaster, because "he likes toast".  The problem is, we don't usually buy bread, and we haven't used the toaster in years.  Oh, well.  Baby steps.

Last weekend I started focusing on the hall closet:  Threw away two pairs of gloves, put one pair in the donate pile, washed two jackets to drop off at the thrift store, folded up to snail mail a vest back to a certain volunteer group I quit years ago.  Space clearing is my new cardio, LOL.

My ultimate goal is to buy matching labeled fabric storage cubes for the closet to hold items in a unified neat manner:  Light bulbs, ATV gear, gloves/scarves/hats, errand items, and small misc (extra candles, sunglasses, etc).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 01:10:55 PM by MountainGal »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3203 on: February 24, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

My ultimate goal is to buy matching labeled fabric storage cubes for the closet to hold items in a unified neat manner:  Light bulbs, ATV gear, gloves/scarves/hats, errand items, and small misc (extra candles, sunglasses, etc).

By all means buy what you want... But I recently made myself half a dozen or so cube storage boxes. I took cardboard from the neighbors recycling when I ran out of Amazon boxes and covered them with fabric I had around. It was shockingly simple to get something that looks nice. I just used a glue stick to attach the fabric. I added a couple handles I had to some.  This fabric was pretty to look at but cheap and not good enough for quilting.  They won't last more than a few years and won't fold flat to move but they were almost free. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3204 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »
A few months ago, while cleaning out the paperwork drawer, I came across a settlement doc for I don't remember what- for a vehicle safety issue? Anyway, I found it a few days before the expiration of action, and sent it in. Just today I received a check in the mail for......... drumroll. $157. Awesome.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3205 on: February 25, 2016, 05:10:36 AM »

By all means buy what you want... But I recently made myself half a dozen or so cube storage boxes. I took cardboard from the neighbors recycling when I ran out of Amazon boxes and covered them with fabric I had around. It was shockingly simple to get something that looks nice. I just used a glue stick to attach the fabric. I added a couple handles I had to some.  This fabric was pretty to look at but cheap and not good enough for quilting.  They won't last more than a few years and won't fold flat to move but they were almost free.

I've made my own too. Step by step tutorial I used here: http://www.iheartorganizing.com/2012/03/pretty-pretty-diy-fabric-boxes-link.html

You can obviously make it simpler by leaving off handles etc. I went to a local discount fabric store and bought the cheapest nicely patterned stuff I could find. Worked out much cheaper than purchasing, and honestly, they've been very durable since I chose a sturdy box to start with, and made sure all seams were well taped before covering.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3206 on: February 27, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Yesterday we went through two drawers in our bathroom. Got rid of a small bag of out of date medicines and creams (DH will take to our local pharmacist for disposal). I also rearranged the main medicine drawer so that every box was lined up on its edge with the name sticking up. That way we can see at a glance what meds we already have on hand before we buy anything new. Huzzah!

Sonos

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3207 on: February 27, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
If you live in the Seattle area, there is a new company that will pick up your stuff, sell it for you (or donate it if it doesn't sell), and then send you a check:

http://stuffhopper.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/stuffhopper-seattle

We haven't used them yet, but plan to in a few months. For us, paying to have someone else handle it all is worth it.

FYI, I know about this company because some guy was dressed as a kangaroo in downtown Seattle passing out fliers :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3208 on: February 29, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Decided to donate the ice cream/fro yo/sorbet maker and helmet mentioned on a prior page, a toaster oven, and printer with toner to a local Boy Scout fundraiser yard sale.  Perhaps they'll have better luck selling the items than I did online.  DH insists on keeping a 4 slice toaster, because "he likes toast".  The problem is, we don't usually buy bread, and we haven't used the toaster in years.  Oh, well.  Baby steps.

Last weekend I started focusing on the hall closet:  Threw away two pairs of gloves, put one pair in the donate pile, washed two jackets to drop off at the thrift store, folded up to snail mail a vest back to a certain volunteer group I quit years ago.  Space clearing is my new cardio, LOL.

Church thrift store donation dropped off this morning!  What a fantastic feeling to get the items out of the dining room, and out of my life.  Along with the two laundered coats and gloves, the donation included a 5 LB bag of unopened flour from Christmas baking, a box of Uncle Ben's rice (a recent freebie at the grocery store), and a pair of never worn slippers from Christmas, lamp and hair accessories mentioned on a previous page.

I plan on counting my penguin bank coins soon.  If/when the total is over $20, I'm going to donate it to the thrift store's food bank.

The Boy Scout fundraiser items will leave my life this Thursday.  :)  Haven't mailed the volunteer vest yet.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3209 on: February 29, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
I bagged up a bunch of stuff last night.  This weekend I'm planning to hit our kitchen.  I've purged every other area.  I'm excited!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3210 on: February 29, 2016, 05:55:05 PM »
We chucked a set of cutlery I found annoying to use! It had a chrome-plated section between the metal useful bit and the plastic handle. All the chrome had worn off and things tended to get stuck in the joins. Now my drawer closes easily! I'm also way less bothered by my cupboards now that the cutlery drawer works.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3211 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:36 AM »
One large white plastic bag of paper to the shredder. Three beach towels and one hand towel to the Humane Society along with 8 large cans of dog food my dog can't eat. I'm up to paper on the KonMari method - she is obviously a single lady without kids or lots of cars/houses. I dream of electronic receipt scanning, but I am not there yet. :-)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3212 on: March 02, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
I've been focused on other stuff for the last month or so but need to redouble my efforts this weekend.  Clothes, household goods, shoes, etc.  For some reason, my mindset has been strange in the last couple of weeks and I'm having a very hard time letting go of things.  Hopefully, it's temporary.  Need to find some new motivation.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3213 on: March 02, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »
Today I moved DH's entire filing cabinet full of 2007-2008 information to two file boxes in the basement.  He's "not ready" to go through them yet, and I know there is nothing in there I need/want.  In my mind, they are just waiting to be put in the trash.  These boxes are now labeled with his name and the information of what is inside.  I keep saying if he dies first, I'm not opening any boxes that have his name in front of them - I will just throw them out!  If I die first, it's his problem! If we both die together, the kids know what I'm doing and they'll throw all them out. Really he's a packrat.

With the rest of the filing cabinet drawers, I went through every receipt from 2015 and all the files.  I got it down to house improvement receipts, health savings account reimbursement receipts, and tax receipts.  Each child has a medical file I pared down significantly.  I have another white trash bag of shredding.  Now the 4 filing cabinet drawers have been reduced to 1/2 of a filing cabinet drawer.  I am amazed that I was keeping so much excess paperwork. Why was I doing that to myself??? Mind you there are 10 years worth of annual files in the basement still to go.....This will be the never ending paper project.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3214 on: March 02, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »
Today I moved DH's entire filing cabinet full of 2007-2008 information to two file boxes in the basement.  He's "not ready" to go through them yet, and I know there is nothing in there I need/want.  In my mind, they are just waiting to be put in the trash.  These boxes are now labeled with his name and the information of what is inside.  I keep saying if he dies first, I'm not opening any boxes that have his name in front of them - I will just throw them out!  If I die first, it's his problem! If we both die together, the kids know what I'm doing and they'll throw all them out. Really he's a packrat.

With the rest of the filing cabinet drawers, I went through every receipt from 2015 and all the files.  I got it down to house improvement receipts, health savings account reimbursement receipts, and tax receipts.  Each child has a medical file I pared down significantly.  I have another white trash bag of shredding.  Now the 4 filing cabinet drawers have been reduced to 1/2 of a filing cabinet drawer.  I am amazed that I was keeping so much excess paperwork. Why was I doing that to myself??? Mind you there are 10 years worth of annual files in the basement still to go.....This will be the never ending paper project.

My husband has scads of work generated paper, and what really helped him was this: Every time I found paper, I'd throw it into a laundry basket. A couple inches would accumulate (no more) and I'd hand it to him when he had a free moment and ask him to sort through it right then. It would take like 10 minutes, wasn't overwhelming, and he threw away nearly all of it. It took longer than I would have liked, but it all got done and I don't have random piles around the apartment now.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3215 on: March 03, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
Something similar to serpentstooth strategy solved my problem with DH accumulating papers. Once he realised I was regularly going to get him to go through them, suddenly picking up a catalogue at the hardware store no longer seemed like such a good idea. He's also stopped bringing home work paperwork (though I never understood why he did! Surely you either need it at the office... or you don't need it. He never worked from home).

So I was trying to sort the piles, but it's actually stopped the piles coming in now. I hadn't really noticed until I thought about it just now; I must remember to thank him tonight.

I also went through old credit card statements and set them aside for burning. It worked well when we ran out of firelights, so I used the statements instead :)

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3216 on: March 03, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »

My husband has scads of work generated paper, and what really helped him was this: Every time I found paper, I'd throw it into a laundry basket. A couple inches would accumulate (no more) and I'd hand it to him when he had a free moment and ask him to sort through it right then. It would take like 10 minutes, wasn't overwhelming, and he threw away nearly all of it. It took longer than I would have liked, but it all got done and I don't have random piles around the apartment now.

Good idea!  I have to remember that, although I'll bet he will balk.  We tried that with his office downstairs when we moved it upstairs.  I gave up and just boxed it up.  You are right that whole box is overwhelming, but a few inches at a time might be doable.  Maybe 3 folders at a time?  I'll have to think about that once I get through my OWN piles of waste and paper. Insert embarrassed face.

Something similar to serpentstooth strategy solved my problem with DH accumulating papers. Once he realised I was regularly going to get him to go through them, suddenly picking up a catalogue at the hardware store no longer seemed like such a good idea. He's also stopped bringing home work paperwork (though I never understood why he did! Surely you either need it at the office... or you don't need it. He never worked from home).

So I was trying to sort the piles, but it's actually stopped the piles coming in now. I hadn't really noticed until I thought about it just now; I must remember to thank him tonight.

I also went through old credit card statements and set them aside for burning. It worked well when we ran out of firelights, so I used the statements instead :)

My DH is in avoidance mode....And he tends to bring in papers in chunks - usually with job changes.  He hasn't had a job change in 8 years, and all the old paperwork from his old job is still here in the house.  He might "need" it someday.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3217 on: March 03, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
I got rid of a flannel shirt that was too small and realized that leaves with exactly 2 items in all of my wardrobe that are colored (they are both red). Everything else ranges from white to black with a few dark green pieces mixed in.

I actually am now considering getting rid of those red tops since it would be kinda cool to have such minimal wardrobe in color and amount. Plus, I never have to worry about something not matching.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3218 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:13 AM »
I have seen this thread in my "recent new posts" view for a long time and always felt guilty since I love the idea but am apparently a complete hypocrite about actually doing anything about it.

We now have a pile of goodwill clothes from my closet! And I sold my old computer and a pair of headphones on Craigslist last week.

We're moving this summer (from a 1BR so not that crazy) and got married right before moving here, so we have a lot of stuff we should purge.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3219 on: March 04, 2016, 06:09:52 AM »

Good idea!  I have to remember that, although I'll bet he will balk.  We tried that with his office downstairs when we moved it upstairs.  I gave up and just boxed it up.  You are right that whole box is overwhelming, but a few inches at a time might be doable.  Maybe 3 folders at a time?  I'll have to think about that once I get through my OWN piles of waste and paper. Insert embarrassed face.

My DH is in avoidance mode....And he tends to bring in papers in chunks - usually with job changes.  He hasn't had a job change in 8 years, and all the old paperwork from his old job is still here in the house.  He might "need" it someday.

I know you know this from the 'embarrassed face' but I've got to say, that whilst I have got my DH on board as I said, it only happened -after- I'd take care of my own cr*p. Sorry. Marie Kondo was right when she said if you're focussing on other people you've got stuff to take care of - for me, at least.

I worked on ONLY my own stuff for a year, and I realised actually, DH's two tiny piles were nothing. Getting my stuff down made a huge difference, and then he naturally wanted to follow suit when he saw how much nicer our house looked and how much easier our lives were.

It was easy for me to focus on, "There's no point! DH just leaves catalogues everywhere anyway!", but when I decided just to do my stuff, and did it, the whole house changed. It got so tidy and organised the papers stuck out like a sore thumb and he was happy to tackle them. He was probably thinking, "there's no point! DW has crap everywhere!" all along!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3220 on: March 04, 2016, 06:10:32 AM »
I have seen this thread in my "recent new posts" view for a long time and always felt guilty since I love the idea but am apparently a complete hypocrite about actually doing anything about it.

We now have a pile of goodwill clothes from my closet! And I sold my old computer and a pair of headphones on Craigslist last week.

We're moving this summer (from a 1BR so not that crazy) and got married right before moving here, so we have a lot of stuff we should purge.

A thousand mile journey starts with a single step! Welcome! Soon you'll be addicted like the rest of us.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3221 on: March 04, 2016, 06:43:54 AM »

I know you know this from the 'embarrassed face' but I've got to say, that whilst I have got my DH on board as I said, it only happened -after- I'd take care of my own cr*p. Sorry. Marie Kondo was right when she said if you're focussing on other people you've got stuff to take care of - for me, at least.

I worked on ONLY my own stuff for a year, and I realised actually, DH's two tiny piles were nothing. Getting my stuff down made a huge difference, and then he naturally wanted to follow suit when he saw how much nicer our house looked and how much easier our lives were.

It was easy for me to focus on, "There's no point! DH just leaves catalogues everywhere anyway!", but when I decided just to do my stuff, and did it, the whole house changed. It got so tidy and organised the papers stuck out like a sore thumb and he was happy to tackle them. He was probably thinking, "there's no point! DW has crap everywhere!" all along!

I'm glad I won't be the only one it takes a really long time.  The hard part is sticking to paper....I look in cabinets and want to do that instead because the remaining paper is in the basement where I don't really see it.

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3222 on: March 04, 2016, 07:24:24 AM »
We're doing this in our household, ongoing.  It's really a liberating feeling as you empty out.  Here's the list of things we're liquidating:

Sell List
  • My retro video game collection (+$3k/15k so far!)
  • Unused furniture (desks, giant entertainment center)
  • 150 DVDs
  • 36" Metal bending brake
  • Old gaming PC (still quite good though)
  • Unused PC watercooling parts
  • Comic book collection
  • Unused holiday decorations
  • Pool table (+$800)
  • RC Car (+$300)
  • Belleek Irish stuff (+$50)
  • Unused picture frames (+$100)
  • Larger toys kids don't use anymore(+$100)

Donate List
  • Clothing
  • Books
  • Random decorative items
  • Random collectibles

Feels good man.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3223 on: March 04, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
Maybe I should prioritize decluttering my bicycles and bike parts first.
Spent some time on those yesterday....

.... and some more decluttering of my big bicycle parts bin (box actually) done!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3224 on: March 04, 2016, 11:47:07 AM »

Excellent start.
Moving is always a great motivator to declutter.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3225 on: March 04, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »
Today's accomplishments:

1) Phone books - school phone books from the past 11 years purged to only the current one.  Church picture phone books from 2004 and 2008 and 2012 also purged.  Regular phone books sent away (I google everything and if I were desperate, I could always ask a neighbor.)

2) Greeting cards/TY cards/envelopes - all moved and sorted into one central location.

3) Coupons/coupon catalogs - (HUGE effort for me - look at my handle...) ;-)

Lots and lots of things purged today. Thank you employer for giving me the afternoon off today - it's National Employee Appreciation Day!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3226 on: March 05, 2016, 05:25:32 AM »
I have a pool table in my basement, because the previous owners left it.  They are a glut here, people bought them years ago, and then just leave them because it is not worth it to them to move them.  So, HOW DID YOU SELL YOURS???  Sorry for the yell, but here I am more likely to have to pay someone to take mine away (so that means I will probably leave it for the next owner)

We're doing this in our household, ongoing.  It's really a liberating feeling as you empty out.  Here's the list of things we're liquidating:

Sell List

• Pool table (+$800)

MickeyMoustache

• Stubble
« Reply #3227 on: March 05, 2016, 06:16:46 AM »
I have a pool table in my basement, because the previous owners left it.  They are a glut here, people bought them years ago, and then just leave them because it is not worth it to them to move them.  So, HOW DID YOU SELL YOURS???  Sorry for the yell, but here I am more likely to have to pay someone to take mine away (so that means I will probably leave it for the next owner)

Sell List

• Pool table (+$800)

Haha, best part is, its basically what I paid for it 5 years earlier, and the guy I bought it from delivered it to me while the buy this time paid to have it moved!  Crazy.  Anyway, here's the story:

I listed it on craigslist with 10 good clear pictures for $900, it really was a nice 8', 1"slate table.  A week later I lowered it to $800 and got a call a couple days later from a guy who was reeeeeeeeeally interested in the table.  He came over the next day with his wife (45 minute drive)  to look at it which at this point was in pieces to make a move easier.  He had tourettes (the swearing version) and said he was on disability and just played pool all day and wanted to upgrade.  He didn't haggle at all and seemed really worried that someone else might buy it from me so he put a cash deposit down and then hired a mover to take it out of my basement.  He seemed confused when I included 4 sticks, a set of balls, a cover, a stick stand, and racks.  So in the end I have to chalk it up to luck, honestly.  I guess you just have to have patience and price it well.

Also, that was the first time I've ever encountered the swearing version of tourettes, that was an interesting experience.  I hope he is enjoying the table!  I probably used it 10x in 5 years.  Talk about a waste of space.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3228 on: March 05, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
So I took advantage of an end of winter sale to get a nice dark gray down parka.  This will replace a puffier down jacket that is way too big since I bought it when I was 50# heavier, and a white ski jacket that I've barely worn because well, it's white and I gave up on my aspiration to become a skier.  It could also potentially replace a wool type coat that I wear to the office most of the winter, but I still really like that coat, so I'm loathe to give it up, even though in reality I'll probably just wear the much lighter (as in weight, not warmth) down coat from now on.  So my challenge this weekend is to decide what to do with the two (potentially three) very nice coats I no longer have a need for.  It's getting a little late in the year to sell ski stuff, but I want it out of the closet.

So far, I've identified two things that I regret getting rid of:  some pegboard scrap, which last night I realized I could have made into plant presses to be used for a work project, and secondly, a padded netbook case because I'm now traveling with two tablet computers, and they would have nested in there perfectly.  Pretty dang minor considering the large amount of crap I've gotten rid of, and totally worth it for the end game.  I got home from a work trip at midnight last night and it was nice walking into an organized garage and really seeing nothing out of place in the house, so I didn't go to sleep thinking of the massive organization task ahead for the weekend (not that I don't still have a bit more to do).  The donation box fill rate has really declined, so I think I'm getting near the end of this process for the time-being.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3229 on: March 05, 2016, 08:13:12 PM »
Continued progress, but slow. Today I cleaned the spice cabinet. I mostly identified missing or old spices.  I also purged the recipe binder and one 3"stack of school papers.

I bought a 3qt saucepan and a wallet today. The 3qt I accidentally put on the stove but forgot to put water in it. It was 19 years old, and the new one was $25 and I used a gift card. I bought the same brand because it got used almost daily for 19 years (and my old steamer insert still fits it). My old wallet fell in the toilet about 6 mo ago (ew)....I'd been using plastic bags since then!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3230 on: March 06, 2016, 03:39:05 AM »
Packed another large bag for donation yesterday: couple of table cloths, 2 pairs of curtains, some clothes and other miscellaneous things.  Returned 2 pairs of shoes, a handbag and a blouse that I bought on a whim and didn't really need.  Pulled 7 volumes of dictionaries and 2 law school books off the bookshelf and trying to decide what do do with them.  The dictionaries I had since college (late 1980s) and the law school books are the only 2 I kept as they relate to my practice area.  But I've been practicing 17 years now and never looked at them.  Time for them to go, just not sure where :-)

I will keep on going today since I seem to be on a roll...

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #3231 on: March 06, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
Two weeks till the movers arrive and we leave the country.

I have been throwing stuff away steadily and trying to work down the food/household/toiletry supplies. Only fresh food is being bought now and we will make some random meals with what is in the cupboards and the fridge/freezer.

I have gotten to the point though, where I am wondering what else to throw out or donate. The moving companies indicated that we did not have a lot of stuff and I was secretly pleased by that :)

All that is left to do is donate some more clothes but I want to keep wearing them to the end. I will be throwing out some kitchen supplies/equipment at the end too. Being more of a minimalist does make moving easier!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3232 on: March 06, 2016, 05:00:14 AM »
We were searching for a good Lego storage option, and Pinterest delivered nicely - a lack IKEA table (we already have one) and properly sized plastic boxes! Just need to buy two more bexes and it's all going to be easy to use!

This was only possible because I cleared out several books and rearranged a bookshelf to take up the stuff that was being dumped on the coffee table. Never could have done this 6 months ago.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3233 on: March 06, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
Gave away a few random toys that I was saving from my kids' childhood in case I have grandchildren. A program for refugees was looking for toys, so it felt like the right time to let them go, even though they had sentimental value.

Also cleaned up an old sandwich toaster and added that to the give away box.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3234 on: March 06, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
A bag of miscellaneous computer cables, mice and a keyboard off to Goodwill.  I try to be realistic in what is still usable and not give them stuff that is completely obsolete (parallel port printer cable anyone?).

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #3235 on: March 06, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
We got rid of a chair and towel my boyfriend really hates. He hates the towel because it's too scratchy and the chair because somehow it's always in his way (?).

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3236 on: March 06, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
thank goodness for Bulk Trash Pickup every quarter.  I put out an intermittently working vacuum cleaner and an old iron (still works) and both were snatched up.

It's surprisingly hard to donate magazines though.  I have a pile of clean, recent ones (gift subscriptions) but our library and local thrift stores don't accept them.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3237 on: March 06, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »
I have donated magazines to the hospital in the past.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3238 on: March 07, 2016, 08:48:56 AM »
It's surprisingly hard to donate magazines though.  I have a pile of clean, recent ones (gift subscriptions) but our library and local thrift stores don't accept them.

Depending on the magazine topic and number of pictures, schools and after school activities can use them for crafts.

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #3239 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »
Oh man, I just had a great weekend. Despite waking up Sunday feeling totally tired because of a bout of insomnia in the middle of the night, I got a lot done!

Last week my parents brought me a love seat they were no longer using. I waited to move things around until I had time to make my kids clean out and around the old love seat. (If I could ban NERDS candy from the planet, I would. Luckily the Valentines candy seems to have been consumed and we get a break - for a few months.) So yesterday I hauled my old love seat out to the curb. I'm really hoping someone takes it. My neighborhood is a great place to just put furniture outside and have it disappear. But this old sofa does have attached back cushions and one of them is ripping off, so I'm not sure it will be taken. If it isn't gone by tonight, I'm going to have to haul it to the garage until I can borrow a truck to take it to the dump.

A few weeks ago my microwave shorted out and just stopped working. So I hauled that across my alley to the dumpster. I occasionally use the apartment complex dumpster behind my house because of the massive amount of garbage that blows out of it and into my driveway that I end up picking up - I figure it's an even trade. I also cleared off and wiped down the microwave cart and also got rid of a popcorn popper that we just don't use and got rid of some other junk on the cart shelves.

Back in the living room the cheap little area rug that I inherited from my sister a few years ago got rolled up and also brought to the dumpster. It served its purpose in keeping the beige-y tan carpet underneath from taking all the dirt. It's a high traffic area so I will probably seek out a new rug for that area until I redo the floors in a few years, but this current rug was a bad colorblock pattern that really showed dirt easily and was just not in great condition anymore.

I'm feeling pretty good about getting rid of those big ticket items. Here's hoping the sofa is actually gone when I get home today! :)

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3240 on: March 07, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
If it isn't gone by tonight, I'm going to have to haul it to the garage until I can borrow a truck to take it to the dump.
In my area you can put a sofa out with the normal trash, and as long as you submit a request at least 24h in advance online, it'll be taken with the regular trash pickup. They don't normally have the capacity for furniture pickups, but if you give them a heads up, they'll do it for free.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3241 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »

Depending on the magazine topic and number of pictures, schools and after school activities can use them for crafts.

I post some good finds from magazines on my walls- odd and beautiful pictures . I donate the rest to a "  by donation " bookstore , I used to donate to my place of work- a beauty salon, but we are so inundated with free mag subcriptions there (where I take the slight few I ever want to browse!) & am constantly downsizing the ever growing stacks.
I also keep for reference certain informative pages pertaining to health/dietary/and extreme diet trends & life of a fashion designer, for my own personal interest, that I periodically review . for me it's like the trashy chick lit I sometimes consume. A reminder of the insane compulsive life & ridiculous laps of luxury.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3242 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

I know how you feel!  I was doing really well cleaning out our house last year, but I've stalled out.  I did bag up a bunch of stuff a few weekends ago, but the bag is still in the guest bedroom.  My goal for March is to clean out the guest bedroom.  This will take getting my DH on board too.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3243 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »
Another 3" stack of papers this morning plus a bag full of folded receipts.  DD10 actually was the one to do the 3" stack of school papers this morning.  I was super proud of her, as she only kept about 10 items from her stack. This will be my rinse and repeat line for about the next 6 months....I have SO MUCH PAPER.

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3244 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:06 PM »
finally donated our dog crate.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3245 on: March 08, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
Decluttering fail. I sold a foot massager on Craigslist, but the buyer decided it was too noisy after she'd gone home with it, even though she was perfectly happy with it when she tested it out at my place. So now she's going to drive back on Friday to return it. I don't really mind, since she's the one doing the driving, but that's a lot of 40min drives for a $60 machine....

I really try to avoid CL at all costs.  The good thing about ebay is never really have to deal with buyer's remorse.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #3246 on: March 08, 2016, 04:20:38 PM »
I gleaned a dozen items   (e.g. blood pressure cuff, label maker, 10 DVDs, HD action cam) from my office.  Rather than throw them out I listed them on a recycle facebook forum for $1 to $10.   Example $2 for 10 DVD batch.   

It is amazing how flaky participants of these forums can be.    I prefer to get the items into hands of people who want them and will use them   but I think a quick trip to a Goodwill drop off site is in order.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #3247 on: March 09, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »
I donated my wedding dress today!

Good for you!  I need to do this on my next thrift store trip.  My young-adult daughter has no interest in my outdated dress!  And I'm tired of looking at the box in the closet.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #3248 on: March 09, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
I need a face punch, kick in the pants, or something... please tell me to unload this stuff:  I'm a runner and have collected probably dozens of shirts from races as well as purchases (mostly clearance or thrift-store, so not a lot of $ spent at least).  I have an entire small roll-aboard suitcase on the top shelf of my closet stuffed with them!  I've kept them because I have actually taken some of these excess shirts when I travel and after wearing, I toss them instead of carrying home wet stinky running clothes.  But seriously, how many throw-aways do I need?  (We travel a lot but I think I've done that exactly 3 times).  Also, the suitcase is a small old extra one that someone gave us that I'd like to toss.

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #3249 on: March 09, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
These past weeks I've been reading Marie Kondo's (e-)book and though I am not aggressively throwing stuff in bags, I've progressed a lot in my decluttering. I've emptied a book shelf, a DVD shelf and a 2-drawers filing cabinet (I've kept 5 files, which will move to my spouse's cabinet and we will sell this one). I've already prepared donation boxes and ads on Kijiji.

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe it's weird, but do you even respond to people who answer your ads let's say, more than casually? I don't know if I over-analyze things, but even though I ask for people to please contact me by email, most often than not, I don't even get a ''hello'', ''please'' and ''thanks''. I find it so rude! It makes me want to hit ''delete''. I don't know... I feel insecure about giving my email adress, phone number or address to people I don't know. When they don't act at least a bit polite/civilized, I feel... I don't know, threatened in a way? Like they're being aggressive towards me. I don't know how to explain.

Maybe I should just donate stuff and be done with it. :/