Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850063 times)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #3000 on: January 08, 2016, 01:24:33 PM »
Donated magazines to the VA home this morning.  (Someone, we don't know who, has gifted magazine subscriptions to DH for several years now.  Each year it's a different magazine.  Last year it was Men's Health.  The year prior it was Maxim.  This year it's ESPN and GQ.)  If you knew my DH, you'd know how very un-sporty and GQ he is.  Yet, he won't call the magazine to ask who is sending them, LOL.

New goal once I catch FIRE: Pick some random person, and then subscribe magazines for them. It should be fun. Every now and then, I'll find their weakest spot, and find a corresponding magazine. Oh yes.

LOL!  Put that on the bucket list.  Must be something in the Colorado air.  ;)

jordanread

« Reply #3001 on: January 08, 2016, 01:36:18 PM »
Donated magazines to the VA home this morning.  (Someone, we don't know who, has gifted magazine subscriptions to DH for several years now.  Each year it's a different magazine.  Last year it was Men's Health.  The year prior it was Maxim.  This year it's ESPN and GQ.)  If you knew my DH, you'd know how very un-sporty and GQ he is.  Yet, he won't call the magazine to ask who is sending them, LOL.

New goal once I catch FIRE: Pick some random person, and then subscribe magazines for them. It should be fun. Every now and then, I'll find their weakest spot, and find a corresponding magazine. Oh yes.

It certainly isn't oxygen. :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3002 on: January 08, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Spent 20 minutes on hold with the newspaper; but if that means the delivery of the free paper stops, it was totally worth it.

I shouldn't have to pick up a paper and put it in my recycling bin once a week. It doesn't even have coupons!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3003 on: January 08, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »

It certainly isn't oxygen. :)

Snort!  I hear you.  I'm about 4 hours NW of you.

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #3004 on: January 08, 2016, 03:52:51 PM »
We are in the middle of a reno on a complete junker of a house.  The place is in chaos.  Back when we listed our last house for sale (Spring 2015) we put about 60% of our "stuff" in storage in order to stage the house for an optimal sale.  That went well and we moved on to a complete fixer.  Now in order to eliminate the storage space payment we moved all that "stuff" back into our chaotic reno.  Ugh.  This month's goal is to sort through all those boxes and gift, toss or actually use these things.  Tonight I will count the number of boxes and set a weekly goal in order to get through this task by Feb 1.

Goal declared.  Here's to accountability :)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3005 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:11 AM »
Maybe I should prioritize decluttering my bicycles and bike parts first. Those are a LOT harder to part with, but they take a lot more space.
Spent some time on those yesterday.... man, most of that stuff is OLD! Many items haven't been used in a decade.
Pretty stupid, since they're now so outdated that they'll be very hard to sell at a decent price (or sell at all!)

Lessen learnt: sell unused items before they've completely depreciated.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/08/11/get-rich-with-craigslist/

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3006 on: January 09, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
Spent 20 minutes on hold with the newspaper; but if that means the delivery of the free paper stops, it was totally worth it.

I shouldn't have to pick up a paper and put it in my recycling bin once a week. It doesn't even have coupons!

There is no such mechanism for my weekly penny saver.  You are getting it whether you like it or not.  It goes directly from the front porch to recycling bin.  Probably half the time it's water logged from rain and unreadable even if you wanted to look at it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3007 on: January 09, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Posted several items on Craigslist today - bike, juicer, espresso machine, ski helmet and aquarium.  Hopefully at least one will sell this weekend!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3008 on: January 09, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
Posted several items on Craigslist today - bike, juicer, espresso machine, ski helmet and aquarium.  Hopefully at least one will sell this weekend!
Nice! 

I'm going to make a donation tomorrow.  I have a big enough pile to make the drive (2.5 miles) worth it.  However, I'm hoping to get my husband in on the action to get even more stuff out of the house.  It's crazy how many things we acquired over the holidays. 

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #3009 on: January 09, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
Have been slowly getting rid of items from shelves and storage areas with a careful sort. So now I have an empty rubbermaid bin to store my donation items in, and emptied a whole piece of storage furniture and just listed it for sale.  Ahhh, feels so good.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3010 on: January 09, 2016, 03:37:39 PM »
Decluttered a drawer today and discovered that I have about 10 rolls of scotch tape. Will try and pawn some off on friends and family. Why is it so hard to part with small, meaningless items, but I gave away a trailer hitch worth at least a couple hundred dollars without even thinking twice about it?

Maybe it is because I will eventually need tape, but will never have a use for that hitch.

Anyone need tape?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3011 on: January 10, 2016, 02:48:46 AM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

I'm keen to do a declutter though.

Alternatively there's stuff that'd take a long time to find a buyer (hifi kit).

Any tips? Thanks :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?
No. That's why I haven't done it. I'm not sure on all the recycling places that'll take the stuff either.

Especially if it's items that are only a couple of dollars new and aren't really what you'd donate (like TV/phone cables and packets of envelopes and the like), or outdated tech accessories (I've got about four or five external hard drives).

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

All the Goodwill stores in my area accept just about anything- including outdated tech stuff/appliances, chords, envelopes.

Sorted! I've just found out that my local council will take all of that stuff and recycle it. I just have to take it to the recycling centre.

I've decided on a slightly different method for my decluttering this time. I used to go through the tubs of stuff and drawers and throw out what I didn't want. Now I've decided to go through everything and put aside what I do want to keep. I might be able to fill a shoebox with what I do want to keep.

Much of the rest I'll either take to my parents' place (as they're more likely to use it than me), or on a trip to the recycling centre next weekend.

Hooray!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3012 on: January 10, 2016, 05:25:18 AM »
I've decided on a slightly different method for my decluttering this time. I used to go through the tubs of stuff and drawers and throw out what I didn't want. Now I've decided to go through everything and put aside what I do want to keep. I might be able to fill a shoebox with what I do want to keep.

^^^That is such good advice and something I really want to try.

I sold 2 items on Craigslist for $85.  I have 3 more listings.  At this point, I just want these things gone, so my prices are pretty low.

I haven't made it to the consignment store last week but I will put the things into my car today so that I can easily bring them in this week.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3013 on: January 10, 2016, 06:08:08 AM »
I have a small bedroom that was absolutely CLOGGED by a humongous dresser and night table, plus tons of clothes, many of which it doesn't occur to me to wear.  Yesterday was the Decluttering Jihad.  Out went the dresser (with some difficulty, but it's out) and the night table.  I cleaned out my minuscule closet--I can see the floor now!--made several large bags of clothes and shoes destined for Goodwill, and got my husband and our unofficial handyman to move my platform bed so I could easily access the storage baskets on the far side.  With the exception of a few work blouses that need to be hung up, everything I wear or otherwise own can fit easily into one of the six large baskets in the bed.  We had a small table in the living room once used to hold electronics we no longer have, and I've turned that into my night table.  In the space freed up by the dresser we moved in a very comfortable wing chair and a small antique table inherited from my father-in-law.  With a floor lamp and an ottoman, this will be a cozy reading nook/work space.  I'm also storing my clothes in the vertical KonMari method, which saves even more room.  I'm not totally done--I have to go through my staggering number of t-shirts--but it's amazing how open and airy my room is now.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3014 on: January 10, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
I just read The Year of Living Danishly, and given how similar Canada's climate is to Denmark's, I am going for hygge. 

So this means clean and open and cozy.  Which means even more stuff to ditch than originally planned.  But that is OK.

And I will appreciate my southern location, today I have 8 hours and 55 minutes of daylight (except that it is pouring rain,which is really icky because tomorrow it will all be ice)  and Copenhagen has 7 hours and 26 minutes.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3015 on: January 11, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
I have a small bedroom that was absolutely CLOGGED by a humongous dresser and night table, plus tons of clothes, many of which it doesn't occur to me to wear.  Yesterday was the Decluttering Jihad.  Out went the dresser (with some difficulty, but it's out) and the night table.  I cleaned out my minuscule closet--I can see the floor now!--made several large bags of clothes and shoes destined for Goodwill, and got my husband and our unofficial handyman to move my platform bed so I could easily access the storage baskets on the far side.  With the exception of a few work blouses that need to be hung up, everything I wear or otherwise own can fit easily into one of the six large baskets in the bed.  We had a small table in the living room once used to hold electronics we no longer have, and I've turned that into my night table.  In the space freed up by the dresser we moved in a very comfortable wing chair and a small antique table inherited from my father-in-law.  With a floor lamp and an ottoman, this will be a cozy reading nook/work space.  I'm also storing my clothes in the vertical KonMari method, which saves even more room.  I'm not totally done--I have to go through my staggering number of t-shirts--but it's amazing how open and airy my room is now.

That must feel so good. I was ready to part with my bedroom furniture just because I want the open space.  I realized unfortunately I will have to keep one bureau for now but am going to part with the other one.  I emptied it all and put all of my clothes in the closet.  One I was tired of everything being in a ball and then have to organize and refold everything every so often. But, two, I would love the space because I too want to put my desk in the corner and create a reading nooks and also a place I can put my mu on in the morning.  I can't wait to get this thing out so I can get setup.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3016 on: January 11, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »
I engaged in a bit of an odd "clearing out the clutter" activity recently: consolidating redundant first aid kits.

I had a small, crappy kit under the bathroom sink, a camp kit, and a bunch of random stuff on bathroom shelves.

Ditched the bathroom kit container, consolidated in a Rubbermaid container until I find a large enough first-responder bag:

http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pages/default.aspx?PCA=89&PRD=162
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:53:14 AM by cjottawa »

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3017 on: January 11, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
http://www.ergodyne.com/products/pages/default.aspx?PCA=89&PRD=162

I have that one in orange and have been using it for off-roading, camping, and road trips for 5 years. It can carry enough for any basic first aid and minor medical issues.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3018 on: January 11, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
cjottawa, that's a nice looking bag!

~~~~~~~~~~
This weekend I started another donation bag.  In it is the 5 LB bag of unused flour from Christmas baking, a lamp which was replaced by a nicer one at Christmas, and a pair of slippers I will never wear, also given to me for Christmas.  I need to tell my family in the future I am all set when it comes to slippers, bottles of lotion, and lip balm.  :P

I also deep cleaned behind the stove, and tackled the entire upstairs dusting, vacuuming and two bathrooms.  From the kitchen, I tossed about 20 alcohol wipes (dried out most likely) from various restaurants, two opened and expired Torani syrups, and a 2.5 gallon water jug I used to use for watering plants.  Next up:  I'm going to thin out old, but clean, towels to take to the animal shelter.  This will make room in the kitchen drawer to move a table cloth and place mats into it, and clean out the overflowing drawer those are in.  It is in the single digits outside-perfect weather to focus inside.

moneywookiee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3019 on: January 11, 2016, 05:06:23 PM »
We recently moved from a 3bedroom home to a small 2 bedroom apartment in order for me to be closer to work.  We've used this change as an opportunity to declutter and have been on a craigslist and ebay listing binge.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3020 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:14 AM »
After getting rid of almost everything we owned in July and hitting the road, my husband and I have landed in a place that we love and that we can afford, and we want to stay a while.

So we are re-crapulating, I guess. We've been sitting on the floor for the last 2 weeks and have an IKEA order arriving tomorrow with a bed, dining table, small sofa bed, etc.

It's a weird place to be in, after just having gotten rid of so much! But we're trying to be thoughtful about it, and only buy stuff that we really need for the running of the household. I have found after staying in many Airbnbs that I tend to like a place more, the less crap there is in it. Trying to remember this and be thoughtful about what we purchase now.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3021 on: January 12, 2016, 08:09:53 AM »
The silver lining is that you can be selective about what you add to your lives, instead of looking at a pile of stuff and wondering what to get rid of. 

After getting rid of almost everything we owned in July and hitting the road, my husband and I have landed in a place that we love and that we can afford, and we want to stay a while.

So we are re-crapulating, I guess. We've been sitting on the floor for the last 2 weeks and have an IKEA order arriving tomorrow with a bed, dining table, small sofa bed, etc.

It's a weird place to be in, after just having gotten rid of so much! But we're trying to be thoughtful about it, and only buy stuff that we really need for the running of the household. I have found after staying in many Airbnbs that I tend to like a place more, the less crap there is in it. Trying to remember this and be thoughtful about what we purchase now.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3022 on: January 12, 2016, 11:01:26 PM »
Went through grandma's books again today. She's got a lot of books. Last time she donated 4 bags (including some doubles). This time a dozen, ehh its progress.. and she had more doubles! And we finally donated the remaining cookbooks (she's 94 & does NOT cook anymore) . :)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3023 on: January 13, 2016, 04:18:06 AM »
The silver lining is that you can be selective about what you add to your lives, instead of looking at a pile of stuff and wondering what to get rid of. 

I agree, I think this is a great place to be in a sense. You can add back in what you really want and need as opposed to being saddled with the decisions of what to get rid of.  Seems like a fresh start.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #3024 on: January 15, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »
I finally made some progress! I took TON of stuff to goodwill yesterday - a comforter, body pillow + 2 covers, big box of books, baby clothes, my clothes, some miscellaneous crap.

Husband, unfortunately, took a few things out of a box. I had a couple of Dave Ramsey books in there, as well as the Financial Peace DVD's. We both read the book ages ago (like, early 2012), and started watching the DVD's but didn't finish them. Now he wants to re-read the book (unlikely), and watch the DVD's (even more unlikely, since we didn't get through them the first time). These things have literally been sitting untouched for nearly 4 years. And the library has the book if he REALLY wanted it. I pointed this out but he doesn't listen to me. He also is insisting on keeping 2 huge computer towers that have been sitting in a closet for as long as the Dave Ramsey stuff has. He says he's going to build a computer one of these days. He also denies telling me that I could go ahead and toss them. They're ancient; even if he did build something (again, very unlikely), he'd probably end up wanting to upgrade. I told him fine, keep them for now, but I'm not moving them again. We've moved them twice now and they haven't been used. We are probably buying a house next year, and none of that crap is coming with us unless it's actually being used. He agreed. We'll see.

Lesson learned: don't let husband see what you've packed for goodwill.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3025 on: January 15, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
Confession time!  I've been slowly cleaning out the storage room downstairs and correcting some un-mustachian accumulation of crap. 

Fishing rods:  I knew I had a way too many fishing rods, Wife and I got a couple of small collapsible rods for lake fishing, I got a couple cheap ones thrown in when I bought a used aluminum boat a few years ago.  I've also bought a few at garage sales when I saw a deal, had a couple damaged rods laying around and just got 2 brand new ones as a gift for Christmas.  So I thought I might have 7 or 8, which is obviously already 5 or 6 too many.  Turns out I had 17 total!  What the actual F@&k!  How did this happen?  Anyway, I will be selling or throwing out all but the new ones and maybe keep one good used backup rod.  Also selling the boat in spring.

Swiss Army Knives:  Kind of the same story, just found a 7th one downstairs.  I bought one years ago, got one as a gift, and most of the rest I bought at garage sales or got for free.  How do you not buy a genuine Victorinox knife when you see it for a $1?  Anyway got to start selling the extra ones and make a profit instead of just throwing them in a drawer.

Tools:  Same goes here, for some reason I've got 2 stud finders, more than 6 hammers, countless redundant screwdrivers, wrenches etc.  I've only got 2 hands and I'm not a contractor, so what the hell, time to thin out the tools too

Face punches welcome and deserved

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #3026 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:37 PM »

No face punches from me, but I will confess to giggling a bit at your shock of finding 17 fishing rods. Well done for ditching (or planning to) the excess.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3027 on: January 15, 2016, 10:48:24 PM »
Husband, unfortunately, took a few things out of a box. I had a couple of Dave Ramsey books in there, as well as the Financial Peace DVD's. We both read the book ages ago (like, early 2012), and started watching the DVD's but didn't finish them. Now he wants to re-read the book (unlikely), and watch the DVD's (even more unlikely, since we didn't get through them the first time). These things have literally been sitting untouched for nearly 4 years. And the library has the book if he REALLY wanted it. I pointed this out but he doesn't listen to me. He also is insisting on keeping 2 huge computer towers that have been sitting in a closet for as long as the Dave Ramsey stuff has. He says he's going to build a computer one of these days. He also denies telling me that I could go ahead and toss them. They're ancient; even if he did build something (again, very unlikely), he'd probably end up wanting to upgrade. I told him fine, keep them for now, but I'm not moving them again. We've moved them twice now and they haven't been used. We are probably buying a house next year, and none of that crap is coming with us unless it's actually being used. He agreed. We'll see.

heh. tofuchampion, I feel your pain.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3028 on: January 16, 2016, 12:21:26 AM »
Confession time!  I've been slowly cleaning out the storage room downstairs and correcting some un-mustachian accumulation of crap. 

Fishing rods:  I knew I had a way too many fishing rods, Wife and I got a couple of small collapsible rods for lake fishing, I got a couple cheap ones thrown in when I bought a used aluminum boat a few years ago.  I've also bought a few at garage sales when I saw a deal, had a couple damaged rods laying around and just got 2 brand new ones as a gift for Christmas.  So I thought I might have 7 or 8, which is obviously already 5 or 6 too many.  Turns out I had 17 total!  What the actual F@&k!  How did this happen?  Anyway, I will be selling or throwing out all but the new ones and maybe keep one good used backup rod.  Also selling the boat in spring.

Swiss Army Knives:  Kind of the same story, just found a 7th one downstairs.  I bought one years ago, got one as a gift, and most of the rest I bought at garage sales or got for free.  How do you not buy a genuine Victorinox knife when you see it for a $1?  Anyway got to start selling the extra ones and make a profit instead of just throwing them in a drawer.

Tools:  Same goes here, for some reason I've got 2 stud finders, more than 6 hammers, countless redundant screwdrivers, wrenches etc.  I've only got 2 hands and I'm not a contractor, so what the hell, time to thin out the tools too

Well done, massive progress.
And sry, but I had to laugh about the fishing poles:)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3029 on: January 16, 2016, 02:29:57 AM »
I put three cardigans in the bag by the front door to go to the charity shop. I think it is a good idea to leave it by the door as it makes it more definite that it will be leaving the house for good.:)

That sounds like my husband!

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #3030 on: January 16, 2016, 06:04:34 AM »
Now that I am working part time, I want to go back to making and selling fine art. We had moved most of my art supplies to our cabin in the back yard, but DH ran over the pipe with the key with his lawnmower and broke it, so the water doesn't work, and we don't want to pay to heat the cabin all winter. We moved most of my stuff back to the house. We put my drafting table in a corner of a small room upstairs and I cleared some shelf space for my pastels and a few other supplies. I set up my mat cutter with table and art scanner with its computer and table in the basement. The flat file is in the basement. My main work will be oil painting, and the easel will have to go in the living room. We've cleared out a ton of crap to be able to set these things up so far, but now comes the hardest part: where to store the artwork. I need to make or buy a rack for paintings, etc., and it will have to go in the basement where there is currently a huge pile of old paint cans and supplies, ancient camping gear, tools and other assorted stuff and junk. DH says he's too busy with taxes to help with the sorting and cleanout, although I know he will be supportive about taking stuff to the dump.

Just writing it down now, the whole plan sounds crazy anyway. Is the gallery owner really going to visit my yucky rough basement to view my work? Sometimes we get water in the basement, too. I must be out of my mind! But, I don't see any other options, so, wish me luck. The big cleanout starts today.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3031 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »
More stuff... I threw away a plastic bowl we keep for garden stuff as I noticed it had a huge crack down the side.

A reusable cloth bag that I received for free into charity shop bag by the front door.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3032 on: January 16, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »
Now that I am working part time, I want to go back to making and selling fine art. We had moved most of my art supplies to our cabin in the back yard, but DH ran over the pipe with the key with his lawnmower and broke it, so the water doesn't work, and we don't want to pay to heat the cabin all winter. We moved most of my stuff back to the house. We put my drafting table in a corner of a small room upstairs and I cleared some shelf space for my pastels and a few other supplies. I set up my mat cutter with table and art scanner with its computer and table in the basement. The flat file is in the basement. My main work will be oil painting, and the easel will have to go in the living room. We've cleared out a ton of crap to be able to set these things up so far, but now comes the hardest part: where to store the artwork. I need to make or buy a rack for paintings, etc., and it will have to go in the basement where there is currently a huge pile of old paint cans and supplies, ancient camping gear, tools and other assorted stuff and junk. DH says he's too busy with taxes to help with the sorting and cleanout, although I know he will be supportive about taking stuff to the dump.

Just writing it down now, the whole plan sounds crazy anyway. Is the gallery owner really going to visit my yucky rough basement to view my work? Sometimes we get water in the basement, too. I must be out of my mind! But, I don't see any other options, so, wish me luck. The big cleanout starts today.

I've tended to photograph my work (and include all pertinent information, such as dimensions etc) and brought this in to a gallery or wherever we are meeting. But must be its different depending on where u live or the galleries themselves?
Either way, its wonderful you've decided to get to more into your art & showing . it seems you are really getting creative (ha) with placement! Excellent use of space.
Cheers

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3033 on: January 16, 2016, 01:11:25 PM »
Sold my son's old twin bed *finally* on Craigslist. I have an identical bed that is in the attic and is coming down to be listed next weekend.

Listed a bunch of cluttery bulky stuff for free on my neighborhood listserve. Hopefully will get takers quickly.

I plan to pick-up some boxes tomorrow and do some more book decluttering. I also went through some papers on my basement desk and got them sorted out (not a ton of papers, just needed to be sorted and put in their proper place).

Cleaned out all extra stuff in the guestroom. It is now ready to be rented out or used for a live-in childcare person. The room looks so nice and bright and fresh.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #3034 on: January 16, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »

I've tended to photograph my work (and include all pertinent information, such as dimensions etc) and brought this in to a gallery or wherever we are meeting. But must be its different depending on where u live or the galleries themselves?
Either way, its wonderful you've decided to get to more into your art & showing . it seems you are really getting creative (ha) with placement! Excellent use of space.
Cheers

Taking photographs is a wonderful idea! Thank you, riverffashion. I am lucky you were reading this thread. I could bring a few canvases in a series to a meeting with the gallery rep and have photos of the rest of the series handy, in case he likes them.

I cleaned out enough junk today to fill up the back of our pickup truck. We also remembered another shelving unit we can move to the basement, so I don't think we will need to purchase another storage unit after all. What a relief that is... it is so much work getting rid of things, as others have mentioned, it makes us less eager to bring more stuff onto the property.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3035 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:59 AM »
I'm on a roll. I shredded some more old paperwork, put a jacket in the charity shop bag and thrown away a broken dog toy this morning.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3036 on: January 17, 2016, 04:48:55 AM »

I just took a box to a family member that will be having a yard sale in the spring. I was going to donate it but he can have it and hopefully make a few bucks from it.

I am sorting through my DVDs to give to him too. Why is it tough to part with these things.  I keep thinking I am going to watch these or will watch and never do. Some of them still have the plastic on them. Sigh   I have given away a lot over the years to the library so only my favorites remain so maybe that is why I can't pull the bandaid but I must, I never watch them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 05:39:54 AM by alleykat »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3037 on: January 17, 2016, 05:04:33 AM »
I dropped three boxes of stuff off to the salvos over the weekend. Was mainly clothing, and a few items from my kitchen.

I am hoping to tackle the rest of the house over the coming weeks

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3038 on: January 17, 2016, 08:06:09 AM »
I'm on a roll. I shredded some more old paperwork, put a jacket in the charity shop bag and thrown away a broken dog toy this morning.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3039 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:09 AM »

Cheers

Taking photographs is a wonderful idea! Thank you, riverffashion. I am lucky you were reading this thread. I could bring a few canvases in a series to a meeting with the gallery rep and have photos of the rest of the series handy, in case he likes them.

I cleaned out enough junk today to fill up the back of our pickup truck. We also remembered another shelving unit we can move to the basement, so I don't think we will need to purchase another storage unit after all. What a relief that is... it is so much work getting rid of things, as others have mentioned, it makes us less eager to bring more stuff onto the property.

Great, glad to hear this might work for you.
Also nice work with the shelving unit! Money & space saved!

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #3040 on: January 17, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
a big box of things gone today. lots of baby clothes! somewhat a bit bittersweet as I'd like to have another baby, but at the same time I can re-rent them from craig's list when (hopefully) the time comes! I have cute pics of the kids in the clothes and have kept a few favourite things.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3041 on: January 17, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
DH went through a bunch of his clothes and pulled out a bunch.  My brother will be over tomorrow and will probably take most of them.  He's really hard on clothes, so I know he always needs new ones.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3042 on: January 17, 2016, 09:21:04 PM »
Every time I think we're done decluttering, I find there's another layer to peel back.

I so feel your pain.

I keep thinking I'm almost done, then discover a whole 'nother sector of crap.  Today I ventured into the crawl space (it's an area under one part of our weird split level that actually has almost standing room) and discovered a fool tub of bottles I'd been saving for homebrewing, so that's another trip to the glass recycling place.  There's also a tub full of electronic odds and ends that are all outdated/useless, and at least two tubs of Christmas decorations that I actually thought I'd gotten rid of. 

Today I worked on the basement and have 4 sets of sheets, a blanket, three pillows/shams and a matching comforter to donate.  Also had two down comforters we never use, so they were repurposed to fluff up the dog beds that were getting kind of flat. 

The electronic crap is causing me the biggest issues.  I'll take out the non-data containing stuff and bring it to hazardous waste dropoff day, but the old computers and things... I know I should smash the motherboards and get rid of them, but it's one bit of procrastination I can't seem to get over.  And we have crawl space and attic space that can house a hell of a lot of defunct computers. 

The house is looking pretty damn' good though, and I've greatly reduced laundry and have been keeping my room so much tidier since going all Kondo on it.  I tend to wear clothing items for a short time (gym, running, horseback riding, office, lounging/dog hair accumulation all require different clothes) and having things in better order means I've been better at hanging things up and re-wearing them several times, whereas before they'd end up in a pile on the floor and then need to be washed.  It will be awesome if I can keep it up as things get busier this spring.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3043 on: January 18, 2016, 03:02:44 AM »
This morning my husband took the bag of stuff to donate to the charity shop near his work. Yay.

Lol, after I posted I actually thought what on earth does that expression mean.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3044 on: January 18, 2016, 04:31:52 AM »
Sold another item on Craigslist for $15, only to receive a call from the buyer complaining that it broke after he used it.  Well, it worked fine when I used it.  Who knows what he did with it....  I think I am done dealing with the all the crazies on Craigslist.  And I deleted my Facebook account so no more sales through the local FB tag sale group.  At this point, the only thing I have to sell is an armchair, and I think I will donate it instead, because I really don't want any strangers coming to the house to pick it up anyway.

Prepped another batch of items for consignment.  I still have way too many clothes.  I'm holding on to some in the hopes of losing a few pounds.  If I don't by the summer, they will go. 

Having a large walk in closet really skews my perspective on what is an acceptable (necessary?) amount of clothes.  I have a tendency to try and fill the void.  I also hold on to things even if I don't wear them, just because I have the room for them.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it and how to change my attitude?  I did sign up for the 2016 "no clothes shopping" challenge.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #3045 on: January 18, 2016, 07:05:22 AM »
...Having a large walk in closet really skews my perspective on what is an acceptable (necessary?) amount of clothes.  I have a tendency to try and fill the void.  I also hold on to things even if I don't wear them, just because I have the room for them.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it and how to change my attitude?  I did sign up for the 2016 "no clothes shopping" challenge.

My antidote is Sterilite containers, and using (part of) my closet as storage for things like car detailing supplies, steam cleaner etc.

My basement storage is almost empty now except for winter tires.

You may find you don't need as big a space if you start pulling stuff in like that.

How about a storage bench in the closet that doubles as a place to sit to put clothes on? Maybe store sporting equipment in it. Then it's not just "a big empty closet;" you can have open areas that serve a purpose.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:07:59 AM by cjottawa »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3046 on: January 18, 2016, 07:35:46 AM »
...Having a large walk in closet really skews my perspective on what is an acceptable (necessary?) amount of clothes.  I have a tendency to try and fill the void.  I also hold on to things even if I don't wear them, just because I have the room for them.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it and how to change my attitude?  I did sign up for the 2016 "no clothes shopping" challenge.

My antidote is Sterilite containers, and using (part of) my closet as storage for things like car detailing supplies, steam cleaner etc.

My basement storage is almost empty now except for winter tires.

You may find you don't need as big a space if you start pulling stuff in like that.

How about a storage bench in the closet that doubles as a place to sit to put clothes on? Maybe store sporting equipment in it. Then it's not just "a big empty closet;" you can have open areas that serve a purpose.

Good ideas!  I have two containers of yarn and a container with ski stuff in the basement so I can definitely bring them up. Also my suitcases and the backpack and other stuff that I'm storing in the basement.

The only thing I'm concerned about is creating a lot of visual clutter (which stresses me out) - but I guess it's a good opportunity to look at things and decide whether I really need them!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #3047 on: January 18, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
Wife and I emptied out the cup/mug/glasses storage cabinet which had overflowed. Packed at least half of it away, and dutifully put it in the van to go to Goodwill.

A month later, she says "I'm just gonna throw them away, tired of them being in the back of the van."

We still have broken TV's and waffle irons that need to be disposed of.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3048 on: January 18, 2016, 08:13:17 AM »
Having a large walk in closet really skews my perspective on what is an acceptable (necessary?) amount of clothes.  I have a tendency to try and fill the void.  I also hold on to things even if I don't wear them, just because I have the room for them.  Any suggestions on how to deal with it and how to change my attitude?  I did sign up for the 2016 "no clothes shopping" challenge.

I actually turned a small closet  into a reading nook.  I still have my shoes stored in there, and a purse holding extra wallets hung as decoration on the wall.  It's really cozy and cute.  IDK if your walk-in might be useful for something similar, but it's a thought.  Or you might be able to bring in a dresser or other piece of furniture and a mirror and make it into a nice dressing space?  Anything to make it seem less like a hole that ought to be stuffed to the brim with clothing.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #3049 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:01 AM »
Another small computer table, shoes, DVDs and a bag full of randomness will be going out today.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!