Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850142 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2850 on: December 05, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
Half a truck load of stuff to the thrift store today, and then another half truck load to Habitat ReStore.  Three items sold on eBay.  Ahhh... the house is starting to feel quite zen and I've gotten rid of some materials for projects I was never going to get around to, so now I don't feel like they're hanging over my head.  I think I'm getting close to the right amount of stuff.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2851 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
Gave a small bag of bric a brac to a local op shop on Friday (a few books, some kitchen stuff). However, they were drowning in clothes so they refused my t-shirt, scarf and shoes. I find it a bit depressing that my city is so drowning in fast fashion that the recycling shed at the rubbish tip just gives away clothes for free and some op shops have too much to cope with. So I took my clothes to one of the bigger op shops yesterday and luckily was able to donate there.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2852 on: December 05, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »
Threw out some semi broken hockey sticks.  Not sure what I was thinking about when I didn't toss them as soon they could no longer be safely used.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2853 on: December 05, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
Two more bags of books, three shirts/sweaters, a belt, and a pillow. We have 7 pillows for two people--only three of which we use. DH wants to keep them "for when we have visitors." We can sleep four people (including us) comfortably. So why do we need 7 pillows? I dunno. I'm continuing to pick my battles, and I've asked him to do a once-over on his books when we get back from Christmas.

I also asked for a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas, so our current one (working but not heavy-duty enough for Fido) one will go to donation. I also threw away some old coupons DH was keeping around that were cluttering up the counter.

Finally, I condensed two boxes in our storage unit so I could recycle one (cardboard; the other is a nice storage box). Our storage unit is about half full: a box fan we use in the summer, so basic tools, paint, and caulk for move-in, move-out, and the like. It's a standard condo storage locker in the basement. I may move our other upright fan down there for the winter, since we won't use it again until June.

The people with the locker next to us filled the whole thing, top to bottom, and have some old furniture or something outside their locker (which happens to be at the front of the unit in EVERYONE'S way). I consistently have to move a tent or something (that is theirs) from out in front of our locker door when I go to it. It's super-irritating when I go down there, but 1) I'm rarely down there, so I just need to let it go--there are bigger things to worry about--and 2) I'm a renter in a condo building. This is not my battle to fight.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2854 on: December 06, 2015, 01:56:51 AM »
Bagged up a bunch of unfinished craft projects from the attic for donation.  Am making peace with being a starter not a completer. Included a half made baby quilt for my nephew who just turned 9. Was ruthless culling my cookbooks as I'm living paleo these days and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful? Anyone have thoughts? I just want to be free of all this stuff but he's worried I'm going to pass through the minimalist phase and need to go shopping to buy back the stuff we just got rid of. I disagree as I feel this process has fundamentally changed my relationship with stuff and shopping.  Any conflicts like this in your home?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2855 on: December 06, 2015, 05:08:29 AM »
Bagged up a bunch of unfinished craft projects from the attic for donation.  Am making peace with being a starter not a completer. Included a half made baby quilt for my nephew who just turned 9. Was ruthless culling my cookbooks as I'm living paleo these days and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful? Anyone have thoughts? I just want to be free of all this stuff but he's worried I'm going to pass through the minimalist phase and need to go shopping to buy back the stuff we just got rid of. I disagree as I feel this process has fundamentally changed my relationship with stuff and shopping.  Any conflicts like this in your home?

Sounds like he wants baked goods. :-)

I would not get rid of cookbooks, but then I don't have specific baking ones, either. I have one, the Fannie Farmer, and it's a classic that covers almost everything I need in terms of plain cooking. ( I also have a TVP cookbook from a thrift store because the FF is far too old to cover that.) I definitely don't think (general) cookbooks are the sort of thing that go out of style. Specific baking cookbooks, though? I can't really advise.

In the more general sense, could your husband be concerned about the money it will cost to replace items later?

I do wonder about the idea of throwing out all the baking cookbooks and planning to buy a new one someday. Is something wrong with the ones you have? Why would you plan to buy more when you have perfectly good ones?  Couldn't you just keep the single best one now? That would definitely save money.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2856 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:31 AM »
and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful?

If any of the family favourites are in those cookbooks, it would be a good thing to scan them somewhere, or put them into a binder.  While you'll be able to find "a recipe" for cranberry scones, it may not be the right recipe for what you're trying to recapture (or it might not include the notes of things you've changed).  I have some cookbooks I have been able to throw away with impunity, and a couple that I really wish I had thought to write down a few recipes first.  (My thought at the time was that I made the item so often, and the ratio was so easy, of course I'd remember it - this turned out not to be the case - I just remember the justifications.)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2857 on: December 06, 2015, 06:08:08 AM »
and had a bunch of baking books. I wanted to get rid of all except my 3 favorites but hubby has been lobbying me to keep them for 'when a baking phase comes around.' My thinking is that these books (and lots of other things) are like bell bottoms from the 60's. Sure, flared pants have come back since but they're different and you not going to want to use the old ones because the new ones will be significantly different. So if I decide I love baking again I will buy the best baking cookbook of the day and enjoy that. Logical or wasteful?

If any of the family favourites are in those cookbooks, it would be a good thing to scan them somewhere, or put them into a binder.  While you'll be able to find "a recipe" for cranberry scones, it may not be the right recipe for what you're trying to recapture (or it might not include the notes of things you've changed).  I have some cookbooks I have been able to throw away with impunity, and a couple that I really wish I had thought to write down a few recipes first.  (My thought at the time was that I made the item so often, and the ratio was so easy, of course I'd remember it - this turned out not to be the case - I just remember the justifications.)
We actually just put together a pile of cookbooks to pass on as well. We are first going to scan all the recipes from the that we actually use. I'm never going to make certain recipes, I just have no interest in the flavour/texture/whatever of that dish, no matter how otherwise good the book is. I've kept two baking books, and the rest will go,because I never use them. Recipes do go in and out of style, so if you've picked what you need and saved it somewhere the rest isn't likely to be used and can happily find a new home :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2858 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:57 AM »
I have two eyeshadow palettes but I threw one away as I don't like it very much.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2859 on: December 06, 2015, 11:05:44 AM »

I've gotten rid of a bunch of cookbooks too.  There are literally millions of recipes available on the internet often with better photos, instructions and helpful reviews, so even if you do want to bake again, I doubt you'll miss your old books.  The only one I refer to frequently is my canning book to make sure I'm doing that safely.  Then I have a few others that I leaf through for inspiration now and then, but I haven't missed any that I've gotten rid of.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2860 on: December 06, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »
Thanks everyone,  I will check through and make sure I have the family favorite recipes saved. I agree that relying on your memory isn't always the best. I will definitely keep the comprehensive and multipurpose books but some like a special cafes fancy recipe book that was given to me and has 50 ingredients in each recipe - those will be going!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2861 on: December 06, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Next Saturday, I'm flying back from NH to my house in AZ. I haven't lived there since May.

There will be so many things to declutter!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2862 on: December 07, 2015, 08:42:10 AM »
Today I'm selling my bass and amp to the guitar shop down the street. I bought it used 10+ years ago (and since I worked at the guitar store, got it at cost), but I haven't played in ~8 years, so time to go.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2863 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:29 PM »
Last weekend, I decluttered some more cookbooks, clothes, makeup, kitchen gadgets, toys, etc. Got a little bit in each area. Long way to go still but I also need to stop bringing things in.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2864 on: December 07, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I had pressed pause on decluttering, but with Christmas looming, people coming and going, stuff coming and going, etc, I would love a few days to turn out all the cupboards again.

Until I do have time, I have a list in my email of everything I want to get rid of.

And, while storage solutions are not the same as decluttering, we do have a gaslift bed coming which will buy me some breathing room to store things we only use seasonally, e.g. Christmas decorations, down jackets, etc.

$40Kby40

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2865 on: December 08, 2015, 03:22:25 AM »
I did some decluttering yesterday, mostly clothes and some other random stuff. I like  #s so the total things donated/trashed was 50 total. I really don't have that much to get rid of, but am thinking about doing this every Mon just to keep on top of things.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2866 on: December 08, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2867 on: December 08, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
My office is likely going to move by April and I have been slowly going through bookshelves, cabinets, empty desks, etc and thinning out all the STUFF. We have about twice as much space here as we need and so things just accumulate everywhere. There have been a handful of people that have quit in the last few years and their files basically just get shifted to an empty office or shelf. It makes me crazy.

I talked to my boss about it and his approach is just to move it all and deal with it later (i.e. never). I don't exactly take direction well, because I tossed his idea with about 4 bookshelves of garbage.

I do the same thing around my office.  I've been here almost the longest in my group so I know what's need and what's not.  My boss is a notorious packrat ( you would all faint if i posted a pic of his office) and wants to keep everything so the key is to toss stuff in small batches.  He never notices.  Most of it is stuff that can easily be found online.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:50:47 AM by Debts_of_Despair »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2868 on: December 08, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
Ooh, I don't know why but I had never considered decluttering workplaces and the like. I am part of a parent run early childhood education co-operative. We have a whole basement of broken toys, guess someone was going to fix them some day... Will volunteer to clean that area over the holidays! I'm still going on the decluttering at home. I have undecideds that once I review a few times I realise are a no. Hubby was scared I was throwing out too much so he reviewed five big boxes for donation with me. He wanted to keep just 2 things. He feels better that I'm not throwing important things away and I feel better that I'm not sneaking stuff out behind his back  Win win!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2869 on: December 08, 2015, 12:02:53 PM »

I do the same thing around my office.  I've been here almost the longest in my group so I know what's need and what's not.  My boss is a notorious packrat ( you would all faint if i posted a pic of his office) and wants to keep everything so the key is to toss stuff in small batches.  He never notices.  Most of it is stuff that can easily be found online.

As with you, I have been here the longest, so I know what is important and what is not. My boss HAS noticed and has voiced a bit of concern, but doesn't get in my way either. I've made a ton of progress just doing bits here and there. I started with the easy parts that I knew were 90% garbage. The next phase will be a bit more involved, but that is ok.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #2870 on: December 08, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
Got out our Christmas boxes and managed to nearly fI'll a whole box with decorations that we don't need. Will get them to Goodwill quickly so they have a hope of selling them before the holiday.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2871 on: December 08, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »
At the guitar store they explained that given they have to do inventory at New Year (along with the legally required 18 day hold for resell), they're not taking anymore used stuff in right now. Suggested I Craigslist my bass and amp as plenty of people will be looking for Christmas gifts.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2872 on: December 08, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
I was waiting for the bath to run earlier and I had a quick run through of the chest of drawers. A free 2016 diary was thrown into recycling along with some other clutter, recent vet bills etc...

Is it weird that I'm looking at my tree and decorations and looking forward to the part when I pack the decorations away and have an end of the year declutter, lol. :D

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2873 on: December 08, 2015, 06:03:53 PM »
Broken hockey sticks make great tomato stakes.  Very strong.  Just saying.  ;-)

Threw out some semi broken hockey sticks.  Not sure what I was thinking about when I didn't toss them as soon they could no longer be safely used.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2874 on: December 09, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »
Hubby and I spent another 2 hours in the attic decluttering. When you are sitting amongst the mouse poo it is really clear that anything cherished should not be up here. Off season stuff sure, but precious momentoes, hell no. As I realise this it raises the bar for what momentoes I keep. It's easy to keep a bunch of my childhood teddies in a dark corner of the attic but do I want them on my bed or have I moved on? I think I need to thank them and get rid of them as my kids aren't interested in them. I felt disappointed in myself as I put many unfinished project materials in the donate pile. I really need to think carefully before taking on new hobbies, especially those that involve stuff. Have been through cheesemaking, quilting, knitting, sewing, preserving, weightlifting, painting, pottery, wine collecting and picture framing stuff in one evening. No one could accuse me of being dull:) But I don't want to have to do this again, ever.

Jannie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2875 on: December 09, 2015, 03:33:32 AM »
Sonya what a great list of hobbies you have tried!  I wonder what you will take up next now that you have made room by delcuttering those ones :) 

Bye bye teddies.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2876 on: December 10, 2015, 12:19:40 AM »
That's what my hubby wonders too! But I am trying to evolve into a more thoughtful person regarding consumerism and have realised that my need to novelty can be satisfied in ways that don't involve buying stuff, like going to the theatre, botanic gardens (to get my fix of lovely gardens without having to do the work myself,  the art gallery where I can view millions if dollars worth of art and not have to have third rate pieces hanging on my wall.  It's a whole new workd when I start thinking about it. Right, time to get back into that attic!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2877 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:19 AM »
Okay this is kind of hilarious (to me). Fiancé and I are going to be moving in together (we lived together a couple years ago, long story) to a smallish apartment (500 or 550sq. ft?). For me, this space would be excessive mind you, because as I've stated I can fit all my possessions in my car exception the bed. Fiancés vice is clothing .. and shoes.. and hats. He's going to have to figure that one out.
A side note: our finances are separate and he has no problem paying his half of the bills. Simply is reality it will be a problem to solve for him to find the space.
Meanwhile, I continue to declutter and shrink my possessions even more :) .

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2878 on: December 10, 2015, 02:18:29 AM »
We are having all new flooring put down in the house starting today.  Yesterday my wife and I went through and boxed everything up (electronics, personal items, small items) and moved them to the garage.  We also cleaned out the kitchen (fridge/freezer, pantry, shelves and drawers).  We ended up donating a small SUV full of kitchen items in good working condition that we don't use.  We now have an Instapot and a Vitamix which pretty much takes care of anything in the kitchen that we'd need. 

It felt good getting rid of sooooooo much stuff.  Now that we have a nearly empty house, we are going to take the boxing party route and only replace items that are currently boxed as needed and donate the rest.

Any recommendations for donation places?  We currently use Goodwill due to it being close, but would rather take to somewhere that would better benefit people in need?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2879 on: December 10, 2015, 03:37:56 AM »
Not really decluttering, but in the same vein, I was at our local Christmas markets last night, and was really tempted to buy a decorative reindeer for the hearth. I forced myself to think about where I was going to put it for the other 11 months of the year, and what a burden it would be, and I left it behind.

I'm really running out of things I feel I can get rid of... But I don't feel as though I am happy with the stuff / space balance as it stands. I need to get more ruthless.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2880 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
Have a pile of junk in my living room after a quick declutter of my craft room:

garbage bag of dresses/work clothes I can no longer wear (way too big!!)
x-mas gift tags/bows (we don't wrap presents any more)
talking x-mas wreath and mini singing x-mas tree novelty toys (was going to use them for a project, but decided I'm not interested any more)
x-mas garland, various junky decor (too much stored as is)
stuffed animals
Halloween decor gifted to us (nice thought, but we have way too much that I have to go through as it is)
old photography equipment (not valuable - film developing tank and lenses for enlarger)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2881 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »
I decluttered 300 emails and 5 regular sources of emails. Down to less than 500 in my normal inbox! Note for my other 3 email addresses (professional, blog and work).

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2882 on: December 11, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
At the guitar store they explained that given they have to do inventory at New Year (along with the legally required 18 day hold for resell), they're not taking anymore used stuff in right now. Suggested I Craigslist my bass and amp as plenty of people will be looking for Christmas gifts.
I hit "share" on FB on a photo of me playing it, saying if anyone wants "the works" to get started with bass, here's a bass, an amp, cord, strap, tuner, and case. Posted a price, and within a couple hours, one of my husband's high school friends called dibs.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2883 on: December 11, 2015, 08:43:33 AM »
I hit "share" on FB on a photo of me playing it, saying if anyone wants "the works" to get started with bass, here's a bass, an amp, cord, strap, tuner, and case. Posted a price, and within a couple hours, one of my husband's high school friends called dibs.

Very nice.  I STILL have a couple things to sell . I need to give myself a deadline or I'll never even try .

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2884 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
Did a big sort of my photos. So many of people and places whose names I have now forgotten. Got a big box down to shoe box size. Will eventually scan them and get rid of physical copies but this was a good first step. Am hesitating getting rid of my academic records,  perhaps I need to scan first?  But is anyone really going to care that I got an A in geography when I was 15 (now 38)? Going through the personal and sentimental has not been as hard as I thought but I'm not the most sentimental person around.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2885 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:50 PM »
Well done on the photos!

I'd keep proof of where you went to high school (for example, if you've got a general certificate that says you graduated) and I would definitely keep any college/university transcripts and proof of graduation. You never know if you'll apply for a job that requests to see those (I've had to do that once I think). And I say this as someone who's gotten rid of mosr of her personal belongings.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:57:33 PM by Astatine »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2886 on: December 12, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Did a big sort of my photos. So many of people and places whose names I have now forgotten. Got a big box down to shoe box size. Will eventually scan them and get rid of physical copies but this was a good first step. Am hesitating getting rid of my academic records,  perhaps I need to scan first?  But is anyone really going to care that I got an A in geography when I was 15 (now 38)? Going through the personal and sentimental has not been as hard as I thought but I'm not the most sentimental person around.

Haha, no.  No one cares.  I've recently had to supply my college transcripts when applying for a job opportunity, and like Astatine says, keeping your high school diploma isn't a bad idea, but there's no need to keep any actual school work or individual report cards.

I really need to get on the family photos thing.  Has anyone hired out scanning for that sort of thing?  I can't see doing it with my home all-in-one since the quality isn't very for the amount of work it would take.  I do have a fancier scanner coming back to live with me at work, so maybe I can come in on a day off over Christmas and get it done, but OTOH, I'm kind of inclined to have someone else do it for me.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2887 on: December 12, 2015, 07:37:50 AM »

Haha, no.  No one cares.  I've recently had to supply my college transcripts when applying for a job opportunity, and like Astatine says, keeping your high school diploma isn't a bad idea, but there's no need to keep any actual school work or individual report cards.

I really need to get on the family photos thing.  Has anyone hired out scanning for that sort of thing?  I can't see doing it with my home all-in-one since the quality isn't very for the amount of work it would take.  I do have a fancier scanner coming back to live with me at work, so maybe I can come in on a day off over Christmas and get it done, but OTOH, I'm kind of inclined to have someone else do it for me.

I'm sure someone will love to get paid to scan! A tedious cakewalk

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2888 on: December 12, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
Will definitely keep academic transcipt that summaries my degrees and the degree itself. I think it will be a good discipline to make me scan my own stuff. Do I want to do a shit load of irrelevant documents/photos that will clutter up my storage drives -nope. The effort of having to do it myself will make me more discerning,  I reckon.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #2889 on: December 13, 2015, 02:06:52 AM »
I just converted everything to scans this year. It is a bear to sort through and shred from a full file cabinet. And some things like deeds have to stay paper.  But once you get past the initial scanning you just have to do a few as they come in to the house.

It is great to be able to look up any document right from the computer. Combine it with encrypted cloud backup and you are also fireproof.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2890 on: December 13, 2015, 02:19:32 AM »

I'm really running out of things I feel I can get rid of... But I don't feel as though I am happy with the stuff / space balance as it stands. I need to get more ruthless.

I've been having trouble with this too. Though, I'm. It sure what it is that isn't de cluttered enough. I went through my closet again and got rid of a grocery bag full. I guess going through everything again with a stricter eye.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2891 on: December 13, 2015, 04:47:12 AM »
I have been getting rid of random things over the past few days.

I am going through the big cupboard again today and making a collection of things that can be taken to the dump. I have a broken chair and a light fitting that both need to go.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2892 on: December 13, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »
Two carloads donated and one carload to the dump over the weekend.  Attic is now half empty rather than bursting full. I love that there is space to move around and access the remaining things. It cost me $8.50 to get rid of 100kg of rubbish.  That's not enough in my opinion.  I was horrified to watch others throw perfectly good looking stuff into the transfer station pit rather than drop into the donation centre first. I had carefully considered everything of mine and only non usable and non recyclable was thrown away - but I was the only one there yesterday who did. Made me feel sad. And determined to be more thoughtful in my purchases so I don't have to go throwing away again. Ks

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2893 on: December 13, 2015, 06:01:58 PM »
Been downsizing. The biggest recently ditched: "IKEA Hagalund" sofabed in the spare bedroom.

Bought: September 2011. Used maybe "twice" by out of town guests.

Took up most of the second bedroom in my 700-square foot apartment.

(the desk and 90% of the other stuff is long gone)

I'll borrow an air mattress if any guests want to stay over. (otherwise: couch)

I've ditched half a dozen or so backpacks, sling bags, shoulder bags etc and so far replaced them with... one sling bag. (with MOLLE attachments for accessories) Working great so far.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:13:53 PM by cjottawa »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2894 on: December 13, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »
Been downsizing. The biggest recently ditched: "IKEA Hagalund" sofabed in the spare bedroom.

Bought: September 2011. Used maybe "twice" by out of town guests.

Took up most of the second bedroom in my 700-square foot apartment.

(the desk and 90% of the other stuff is long gone)

I'll borrow an air mattress if any guests want to stay over. (otherwise: couch)

I've ditched half a dozen or so backpacks, sling bags, shoulder bags etc and so far replaced them with... one sling bag. (with MOLLE attachments for accessories) Working great so far.

Is that piece of furniture as massive as it looks!?

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2895 on: December 13, 2015, 08:04:48 PM »
Is that piece of furniture as massive as it looks!?

*laughs* The room is quite small. ;)

Couch dimensions are 59-inches wide, 33 7/8-inches deep. When the bed section was slide out, it went right to the opposite wall. (the gate-leg desk had to be folded down and rotated against the perpendicular wall)

I have let guests use the master bedroom and just slept on the couch or an air-mattress.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:48:12 AM by cjottawa »

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2896 on: December 13, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Nice work getting rid of that big thing. We have given up guest beds in our home too. We get our parents a couple of times a year but we let them have our beds and use our camping rolls on the floor. Feels generous and makes me appreciate my bed all the more when I have it back. And to think, I nearly bought a murphy bed at great expense a few years back. Every piece of furniture in our homes needs to earn it's place because less is definitely more!

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #2897 on: December 13, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
Planning a cross country move in 6 months so trying to de clutter and sell stuff before we list the house.

Earmarked 8 boxes or so of outgrown kids clothes. If we have another baby I'll buy new used stuff for it. Can't justify moving so much stuff. Need to work on my closets and things that I haven't used in ages like my roller blades. Those things are so hard I find. The memorabilia clothes. I'm never going to wear them again so time to let go. Just actually have to do it.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2898 on: December 13, 2015, 09:38:45 PM »
I had som books in storage besides my garage. I organised them and brought in those I want to keep (children books and professional books I might need for my thesis). I will sell one box of books to the second hand book store and I will toss maybe 20 books. Books are hard to get rid of but I am getting better at it.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2899 on: December 13, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
Seeing as this thread is 60 pages long I know I'm not the first to mention this approach, but thought I would add my experience anyhow.

After years of the roller coaster that is the accumulation of 'stuff' and the subsequent decluttering sprints, my wife and I decided to try a new approach.  We've made decluttering a part of our everyday lives.

We keep a box in the house that is destined for goodwill (or craigslist/ebay, etc).  We each put one thing in the box every day.  At the end of the week (or every other week) the box gets taken to goodwill.  At first, it seemed pointless and was incredibly easy.  For the first few weeks I could easily grab things that were out in the open.

We've now been doing this for a little over 6 months and I have to say the results are astounding, and it has become a bit more difficult to find things to put in the box (we are now digging deep into closet shelves and storage areas daily).  Our kitchen feels much more spacious, our closets are much cleaner, the house in general is becoming a space where we want to live.

But, the one thing that neither of us anticipated is how it has changed our perspective.  We now think MUCH more about what we bring into the house in the first place.  If one of us is considering buying something, one of us will eventually say "how long before it winds up in the box?"  It has really forced us to change our thinking and to look at things in a long term perspective.

It was never really the intention to change our perspective like that, but by creating a daily habit out of decluttering it has made it something that is always in the back of our mind - and by sticking with it we've seen the very real results that you can get from small daily efforts.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:44:33 PM by MrDelane »