Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850145 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2750 on: November 07, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
PAPER has been building up since we moved house a few months ago - ugh! I neex to sit down and put an hour or two into sorting, filing and shredding.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2751 on: November 08, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Took three giant bags to Brown Elephant yesterday: 25+ books, some clothing (I checked: they textile recycle anything they can't resell--yay!), and a few other miscellaneous items.

I also got DH to clear out his desk, including some digital recyclables.

At this point, unless I can continue parting with books (an ongoing process) we've reached an impasse. (DH won't go through his closet, and I'm not going to ask again.)

I'll do an apartment run-through again at the beginning of 2016. Maybe I'll be more inclined to give up some books or clear out some old papers then (or can convince DH to do the same).

jordanread

« Reply #2752 on: November 08, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
I've got some stuff happening in life right now, but the part that is applicable here is that I am going to start putting miscellaneous (unused) items in a box. If it's not missed, I'm getting rid of it one way or another. Now just debating on whether to tell the SO. :) I'll have more details later that I'll post here. Minimalism is becoming a much larger part of my life, and I might even end up taking it to the extreme.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2753 on: November 09, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
I've got some stuff happening in life right now, but the part that is applicable here is that I am going to start putting miscellaneous (unused) items in a box. If it's not missed, I'm getting rid of it one way or another. Now just debating on whether to tell the SO. :) I'll have more details later that I'll post here. Minimalism is becoming a much larger part of my life, and I might even end up taking it to the extreme.
Have you read Marie Kondo's book?  A few sections helped me when dealing with my husband.  First, I don't show him the things I'm getting rid of (that are mine).  Second, I don't get rid of his items for him. 

Since I've taken a hands-off approach to my husband's things, he's parted with more than when I was pushing him to get rid of things.  I do itemize everything and donate it, so he only has to decide that he wants to get rid of an item.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2754 on: November 09, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
Last year I condensed our paperwork down to a single binder.

On the weekend I went through it and pulled out anything no longer needed (e.g. last year's rego papers, etc). Ended up with a stack of papers about an inch high, which I shredded at work this morning.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2755 on: November 10, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »
I'm really losing decluttering steam :( And it's not that my possessions are pared down as much as I want them to be, unfortunately.

Marie Kondo said you will know when you have the right amount of stuff for you, and I know she's right because I've reached that point with makeup and toiletries. It just feels perfect and I love it.

But to get to that point with clothes is harder for me. I have got rid of so much... but I haven't been able to replace it as quickly with things that 'give me joy'. Anyone else found this? I am actually struggling to find work outfits each morning, and yet I'm still wearing loads of things I don't even like. If I got rid of everything except the joy givers I think I'd be nude! And I don't want to spend a fortune buying new joyous items. Anyone else have this problem?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2756 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:42 AM »
^Can you pick out your favourite outfits and see what you like about them and then try to only buy clothes like them. Maybe get a friend round to see how you look, or take photos and see which things and colours suit you.

I'm finding it hard to find stuff to declutter at the moment.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2757 on: November 10, 2015, 06:44:01 AM »
theadvicist, can you arrange a clothing swap? Bring the stuff that you don't like, and see if you find new items that work from your friend's cast-offs. Do you know why you're not liking what's on hand?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2758 on: November 10, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »
The old tv is out of the house - I really hope the person who is supposed to pick it up does so today.  For something with such a thin footprint, it has taken an inordinate amount of mental energy with copious second guessing and procrastination.

This is the problem with a big house & a basement.  There is no impetus to get rid of things, we always have the space.  And it's easy to say 'just in case'.  I wonder if for the SO it's the equivalent of a stocked pantry/freezer.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2759 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Your help and encouragement needed!  Through a roundabout way, I came across someone local who buys music records and albums, and even offered to buy my record player if I have one (which I do).  From my youth and being a DJ for a short while, I have over 200 albums, over 50 45s, and 200 cassette tapes.  The problem?  I don't seem to be ready to sell them.  They are organized in the hall closet, and I play the records once a year or so.  The cassettes never.  What would you do?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2760 on: November 10, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

I am actually struggling to find work outfits each morning, and yet I'm still wearing loads of things I don't even like. If I got rid of everything except the joy givers I think I'd be nude! And I don't want to spend a fortune buying new joyous items. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. I have a bunch of work clothes that don't spark joy (or that I like but that also have something wrong with them that keeps me from feeling good about them). I am thinking of them as a new category--stuff that isn't what I ultimately want, but that serves a purpose well enough for now. It's like the "functional" category of stuff, except that in my mind, I explicitly label it as something that will be let go of when circumstances permit. That might be when I find a replacement that I love, or when it wears out, or when i don't need it any more. Consciously putting the items in this category means that although I still wear them, the emotions have been processed, the decision has been made, and I can wear them just as useful clothes without the baggage. And the minute that they are no longer useful, I can discard them without revisiting them.

I'm still trying out this idea, but it seems to relieve the stress of having to wear clothes that aren't joy-givers. It also helps me discriminate between items that are "I don't mind wearing this until I find something better" and items that are "y'know, I really *don't* like wearing this"--so I can discard the latter.

Like AerynLee, I'm picky, and I'm an odd size, so it's hard to find replacements that are just right. My whole life, I've worn anything that was passable just to have *something* to wear. It's going to be a step-by-step process to get to a closet of joy-sparkers only. Meanwhile, being able to articulate the difference seems to help.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2761 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Your help and encouragement needed!  Through a roundabout way, I came across someone local who buys music records and albums, and even offered to buy my record player if I have one (which I do).  From my youth and being a DJ for a short while, I have over 200 albums, over 50 45s, and 200 cassette tapes.  The problem?  I don't seem to be ready to sell them.  They are organized in the hall closet, and I play the records once a year or so.  The cassettes never.  What would you do?

Mountain, let it go. Enjoy the space, and the reduced dusting.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #2762 on: November 10, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
Get rid of the cassettes for sure - you don't listen to them anyway.
Go through the 200 albums and pull out the ones you don't love, or you have CDs of. Get rid of those.
If you still have a lot of albums left after purging, I don't see any problem with keeping them if you actually listen to and enjoy them.  If you only have a few left, it might be worth just making a list of them and replacing them with CDs when you see them on sale or if family members ask what you want for holiday/birthday gifts.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2763 on: November 10, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
TheAdvicist - I'm in the same boat as you with clothes. And for me at least it's not as easy as going out and buying new (or thrift store) ones that I love because I'm so picky I can go shopping and not find one thing I love.
One thing I'm going to look into doing is creating a "uniform" where I find polo's or something similarly generic and buy a bunch in different colors. While I still won't love my work clothes at least I won't dread wearing the ones I'm keeping just so I'm not going to work nude
My husband made a comment when I went through my clothing that I wouldn't have anything to wear.  I struggled for a few weeks, but I bought my favorite items slightly used on eBay.  They were more than a thrift shop, but way less than new.  Also, they're the exact same year (sometimes things shift season to season) as my favorite pair.  It's ridiculous, but true.  I also instituted a work uniform and bought 10 of my favorite tops in various colors.  Now I don't shop unless I need to replace something. 

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2764 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:47 PM »
I love the idea of a work uniform.  I went to the thrift store and bought 3 more pairs of black pants. I already had 1 and I work 4 days a week.  Sometimes I will wear a dress, or other colored pants, but now my goto everyday is to grab black pants, my black shoes, any shirt and I am done.  It really has made it simple.

We are having white elephant gifts for Christmas at work, and the requirement is that you don't buy anything, it has to be something you already have.  I love it.  I told everyone I was giving them expired Metamucil.  Unfortunately, I don't actually own that.  But I am going to have fun choosing something!

Fbeyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2765 on: November 11, 2015, 01:28:52 AM »
Is the rest of your house decluttered?
Have you meticulously gone through, and reflected on, every single thing you own and now you're just left with dealing with the music?

Material detachment is a mental muscle you have to train. Starting with emotionally insignificant stuff is equivalent to the low weights. Getting rid of your sentimentals is the 400 pound deadlift; there is no easy way to do it, you have to do it right, no one can help you, and you have to be freakin' strong to do it.
If you still haven't pared down your stacks of papers; get it done first!
If you still haven't pared down your wardrobe; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your kitchen; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your movies; get it done!
If you still haven't pared down your books; get it done!

By the time you've gone through that and know why, to great detail why you've kept and especially why you've thrown away all those things again, you are in much better mental shape to handle sentimental items like photographs, letters and music.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2766 on: November 11, 2015, 10:43:24 AM »
I have the same problem with clothes. I got rid of a ton and still have plenty left but I don't love it all and for me, that is okay.  For now I am wearing what I have and just adding a few pieces here and there as I go along. I am super fickle with clothes but as I add, I am making sure that I really like it and will wear it. 

I have been decluttering for a number of years now.  I am still decluttering and would like to finally be done.  But that will be awhile yet.  My collectibles are harder to deal with since there really isn't a market for them anymore.

I have gone through stages of decluttering. I will get real into it and then wane off and then pick it up again.  It does get tiring. But, I will keep dealing with it until I am at a point I want.  I am not looking to be a "real" minimalist, but I want to get close.  I really don't want things stored in closets/rooms unless it is stuff I am really using.

Quite frankly, if I was younger, I would go the backpack route or own very little, just to feel the freedom from stuff, even for a minute. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2767 on: November 11, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
Thank you, Sibley, Always and Fbyer.

Is the rest of your house decluttered?  Things on display, yes.
Have you meticulously gone through, and reflected on, every single thing you own and now you're just left with dealing with the music?

Material detachment is a mental muscle you have to train. Starting with emotionally insignificant stuff is equivalent to the low weights. Getting rid of your sentimentals is the 400 pound deadlift; there is no easy way to do it, you have to do it right, no one can help you, and you have to be freakin' strong to do it.
If you still haven't pared down your stacks of papers; get it done first!  Done
If you still haven't pared down your wardrobe; get it done!  Working on it
If you still haven't pared down your kitchen; get it done!  Done, but can do more
If you still haven't pared down your movies; get it done!  Will need DH's assistance, since most are his
If you still haven't pared down your books; get it done! Done

By the time you've gone through that and know why, to great detail why you've kept and especially why you've thrown away all those things again, you are in much better mental shape to handle sentimental items like photographs, letters and music.

Thanks again.  Makes sense.

jordanread

« Reply #2768 on: November 11, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »
Have you read Marie Kondo's book?  A few sections helped me when dealing with my husband.  First, I don't show him the things I'm getting rid of (that are mine).  Second, I don't get rid of his items for him. 

Since I've taken a hands-off approach to my husband's things, he's parted with more than when I was pushing him to get rid of things.  I do itemize everything and donate it, so he only has to decide that he wants to get rid of an item.

I have read the book, and loved it (mostly). All of my stuff is now folded in her fashion. I mentioned a few things earlier in this thread (although now I realize how long this thread is), when I was really clearing it all up. I found that making a pile in the middle of the living room for stuff to go to Goodwill made the pile get magically bigger. Right now though, I'm pretty close to being fully optimized (and fully optimized when it comes to clothes). My main issue is that there is oh so much stuff, and almost none of it is used...ever. Hence the sneaky aspect of it all. Who knows, maybe after I hit the time thing, I'll run through it all prior to getting rid of it. We'll see.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2769 on: November 11, 2015, 07:45:37 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

I'm keen to do a declutter though.

Alternatively there's stuff that'd take a long time to find a buyer (hifi kit).

Any tips? Thanks :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2770 on: November 11, 2015, 08:13:45 PM »
My issue is that I'm a bit uncomfortable with putting functional stuff in the trash,  but most of it isn't worth selling (or may only get a few bucks if anything).

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2771 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:50 PM »

When you say trashing functional stuff, you mean recycling or donating whenever possible right?
No. That's why I haven't done it. I'm not sure on all the recycling places that'll take the stuff either.

Especially if it's items that are only a couple of dollars new and aren't really what you'd donate (like TV/phone cables and packets of envelopes and the like), or outdated tech accessories (I've got about four or five external hard drives).

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2772 on: November 11, 2015, 08:37:49 PM »
Best buy takes used electronics, including chargers and other accessories I believe.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2773 on: November 11, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

No. That's why I haven't done it. I'm not sure on all the recycling places that'll take the stuff either.

Especially if it's items that are only a couple of dollars new and aren't really what you'd donate (like TV/phone cables and packets of envelopes and the like), or outdated tech accessories (I've got about four or five external hard drives).

All the Goodwill stores in my area accept just about anything- including outdated tech stuff/appliances, chords, envelopes.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2774 on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »

no need to trash it. Goodwill, Craigslist, Freecycle... etc Rinse and repeat

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2775 on: November 12, 2015, 03:59:17 AM »
Thanks for all the help on the clothing front everyone. I love the idea of seperating 'it will do for now' clothes mentally. I actually wish I had the space for a separate rail where I could hang the stuff I love and slowly add to it until I didn't need the other one.

I've had great luck with ebay as well. Beautiful, expensive, well made items that cost a fraction of retail - many of them have never even been worn. That's my go-to source for now, but even at £10 - £15 an item to get a fully functioning work wardrobe will be a decent investment.

And thanks for the advice on working out WHY I like certain items. I will select my favourites and consider which silhouettes, fabrics, colours etc I prefer.

Nancy

« Reply #2776 on: November 12, 2015, 04:58:22 AM »
I'm back! I had to take a break from decluttering during the gardening season (I look forward to the RE day when I have time for more than one hobby).

My bathroom, clothes, papers, kitchen appliances, sewing/knitting stash, and books remained decluttered nicely. Woohoo, Kondo!

Now, I have to tackle my gardening and biking supplies.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2777 on: November 12, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »

no need to trash it. Goodwill, Craigslist, Freecycle... etc Rinse and repeat
I joined a No Buy Group in my area.  I've gotten rid of things.  But I've also received a few things that I would have spent money to purchase.  Win. Win. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2778 on: November 12, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »
Random stuff thrown away, a tiny bit of chilli sauce as I couldn't remember when I opened it. I have an old set of curtains but I might use them as a sofa covering so I got them out to decide, if not they can go to recycling. A decorative box put into recycling, I was keeping it for my two bracelets but I thought that was just silly.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2779 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:50 PM »

If Craigslist is fairly active in your area, put the functional stuff on the Free section. In my area, anything on Free gets hoovered up, unless it's something like an old mattress full of cat pee.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2780 on: November 12, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »

If Craigslist is fairly active in your area, put the functional stuff on the Free section. In my area, anything on Free gets hoovered up, unless it's something like an old mattress full of cat pee.

Lol. Yup

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2781 on: November 13, 2015, 03:28:49 AM »
I've had two buyers on ebay fail to pay recently. Annoying! One item I boxed and packed as soon as it was sold, so though I'm tempted to just donate it, I would have to unwrap it first, and it was glass so it's really well packed. I have relisted. The other I have done a second chance offer.

This never used to happen to me on ebay, but I've had it three times this year, and I've been selling less than before. Interesting trend that I hope does not continue.

I got of more jewellery I don't really wear, and a dress which I hate, yet wear quite a lot (why? It's comfy, I guess). Still pondering my work wardrobe. I think I am falling behind on 2015 in 2015, but I went through my books again and only found 1 to get rid of. Yet there still feels like there is too much stuff in my house. I'm going to have to be more ruthless.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2782 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:47 AM »

MountainGal,   Parent of 2 teenagers here...  Record players and vintage vinyl are hot with teens (and nostalgic parents of teens).   Cassettes are worth maybe a dollar for rare stuff but not much else... Your likely sitting on over $1500-$2500 in vinyl alone if you have the good DJ quality stuff (dance tunes, 80s rock, etc).  But the market will cool quickly as this batch of kids moves on.    Save your Tippy Top Ten records (for you) and then carry the lot to a college town used record store  on a weekday morning (before they get busy at lunch) and see what happens.   

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2783 on: November 13, 2015, 07:38:51 AM »
I am bringing in another batch of stuff to the consignment store today.  I realized that I started to get rid of stuff in my closet about a year ago and managed to reduce the clothing by about half!  I still have some items that could go.  It's a big closet :-)

I'm slowly getting used to wearing my favorites more often.  I have this irrational fear of wearing out my favorite items and not being able to find something I like to replace them.  This causes me to "save" the things I like and wear things I don't really care for.  By the time I get back to the favorites, they either don't fit any more or are out of style.  Where is the logic in this??? 

So I'm trying to focus on wearing my favorites instead, and wearing them more often.  Today, I have on a pair of shoes I adore and a cashmere cardigan that I like a lot.  I wore them last Friday as well.  When I was getting dressed this morning, I had anxious thoughts floating in my head of what I'm going to do when these things wear out and what will people at work think seeing me in the same stuff two Fridays in a row ;-)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2784 on: November 13, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
I went through an old box of photos, negatives (yes, that old), and various travel related memories from 2005 in the form of ticket stubs, maps, etc. and through out most of them. I saved a few photos to scan and a couple ticket stubs for my scrapbook. I can throw out the negatives right? In my entire life I've never ever used one, but I feel this irrational sense that I'm supposed to keep the negatives just in case! Absurd, I'm no professional photographer!

Quinn

« Reply #2785 on: November 13, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
I'm slowly getting used to wearing my favorites more often.  I have this irrational fear of wearing out my favorite items and not being able to find something I like to replace them.  This causes me to "save" the things I like and wear things I don't really care for.  By the time I get back to the favorites, they either don't fit any more or are out of style.  Where is the logic in this??? 

I had this problem before when I was saving my favorites in pristine condition because I didn't want them to get damaged. Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

But it was great to open my wardrobe and know that I'm wearing my favorites everyday.

jordanread

« Reply #2786 on: November 13, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
[...] Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

But it was great to open my wardrobe and know that I'm wearing my favorites everyday.

First, I just stumbled across your recipe thread thing you did. That was awesome. Secondly, how the hell do you wear out real leather? I've tried. Never worked.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2787 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:54 PM »
[...] Then I got over it and decided to use all the good stuff, because they're meant to be used. The only downside to this is that I've had a few of my favorite items wear out because I literally used them almost every other day for years. Every now and then I search through eBay in the hopes of finding that specific pair of shoes, and that specific leather jacket that I had because I'm just sad that they're gone forever.

First, I just stumbled across your recipe thread thing you did. That was awesome. Secondly, how the hell do you wear out real leather? I've tried. Never worked.

It takes a long while, but it happens naturally with use.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2788 on: November 14, 2015, 01:25:17 AM »
I am bringing in another batch of stuff to the consignment store today.  I realized that I started to get rid of stuff in my closet about a year ago and managed to reduce the clothing by about half!  I still have some items that could go.  It's a big closet :-)

So I'm trying to focus on wearing my favorites instead, and wearing them more often.  Today, I have on a pair of shoes I adore and a cashmere cardigan that I like a lot.  I wore them last Friday as well.  When I was getting dressed this morning, I had anxious thoughts floating in my head of what I'm going to do when these things wear out and what will people at work think seeing me in the same stuff two Fridays in a row ;-)

I've had to fight this as well over the years (thanks, childhood brainwashing from parents). But, who knows, you could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Or what is your favourite today may no longer be your favourite next year, or your tastes change, or you change size or shape. Wear what you love now. Trust that you will find future favourite things later if needed. The only day that matters is today.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2789 on: November 14, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »
Went thru two huge kitchen cabinets with my roommate- she was able to release things like graters, strainers, Tupperware missing tops or bottoms, party supplies like disposable plates and cutlery. Two bags donated, two recycled.
Also tidied my closet, bookshelf, sewing and art supplies, and memento scraps. (It was all rather minimal to begin with, e.g. had been already reduced to ~30 books now is ~25).
I've really become aware that the problem is "new" (read: castoffs -of which I am offered many and regularly!) stuff , I  must be more discerning. Also, sometimes I don't take the minute to put my things away, and fr there it continues. Insideous.
So, a few flight stubs out, a hospital pillow, some art supplies, a couple blouses and PJ bottoms, etc., a few books, etc. All donated except stubs which were recycled.
Closet is organized again, jewelry making stuff, currency collection, books, fabrics and art/sewing supplies, makeup & toiletries .

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2790 on: November 14, 2015, 07:35:43 PM »
Went through my kitchen and the "out" box if been meaning to go through with DH. Ditched random weird stuff that even the charity won't take. We have what I think are two retro pyrex casserole dishes. they've been turned into two lovely garden beds for my succulent propagation :)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2791 on: November 15, 2015, 07:24:39 AM »
Went thru two huge kitchen cabinets with my roommate- she was able to release things like graters, strainers, Tupperware missing tops or bottoms, party supplies like disposable plates and cutlery. Two bags donated, two recycled.
Also tidied my closet, bookshelf, sewing and art supplies, and memento scraps. (It was all rather minimal to begin with, e.g. had been already reduced to ~30 books now is ~25).
I've really become aware that the problem is "new" (read: castoffs -of which I am offered many and regularly!) stuff , I  must be more discerning. Also, sometimes I don't take the minute to put my things away, and fr there it continues. Insideous.
So, a few flight stubs out, a hospital pillow, some art supplies, a couple blouses and PJ bottoms, etc., a few books, etc. All donated except stubs which were recycled.
Closet is organized again, jewelry making stuff, currency collection, books, fabrics and art/sewing supplies, makeup & toiletries .

I deal with the same thing, since my annual trip home usually means an annual closet purge for my very consumptive mother and sister. I get lots of hand-me-downs in excellent condition, but then I get home and think "Did I really need another floral t-shirt?"

One thing I learned this year from my foray into minimalism is that there are actually five "Rs" of being green--and the first one is "refuse"! (As in, I know this cheap-o plastic pen is free, but do I really need another cheap-o plastic pen?) This is not to say hand-me-downs and secondhand options aren't ever good--they absolutely are!--but to refuse means to think long and hard about whether or not the piece, free or not, belongs in our lives. It's a good way to approach decluttering too.

Do you have a one-in, one-out rule for places where you find clutter finding its way back into your life? I have found this incredibly helpful for clothing. (My mom, bless her heart, is currently on a one in, two out in order to rein in her closet.)

halftimer

• Stubble
« Reply #2792 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:35 AM »
I also like that mantra to refuse first - has been slowly helping me to gain control.

Got rid of about 5 boxes of stuff recently. I have decided to eliminate some entire categories and that has really helped. We gave away an entire set of 18 books by the same author, and have not been tempted to buy the newest release by them. I used to have supplies for every craft known, but now I'm deciding on my favorite few and getting rid of the others in batches.

Items recently refused: about 75% of what was offered at a recent travel trade show (I did accept the reusable bag. Plus candy which only lasted me a few days) I am proud I did not bring home any new notebooks, pens, flyers, or memo pads.

Also refused a lot of functional, but not needed by me, stuff from my sister who was down-sizing for a move overseas.  I said no to all the cleaning supplies, games, clothes, art supplies I knew I wouldn't use.  I did take a box of alcohol, 2 items of clothing that have already seen use, and some blank canvases that have already been given to a friend holding a 'paint nite' this month.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2793 on: November 15, 2015, 11:13:59 AM »

I deal with the same thing, since my annual trip home usually means an annual closet purge for my very consumptive mother and sister. I get lots of hand-me-downs in excellent condition, but then I get home and think "Did I really need another floral t-shirt?"

One thing I learned this year from my foray into minimalism is that there are actually five "Rs" of being green--and the first one is "refuse"! (As in, I know this cheap-o plastic pen is free, but do I really need another cheap-o plastic pen?) This is not to say hand-me-downs and secondhand options aren't ever good--they absolutely are!--but to refuse means to think long and hard about whether or not the piece, free or not, belongs in our lives. It's a good way to approach decluttering too.

Do you have a one-in, one-out rule for places where you find clutter finding its way back into your life? I have found this incredibly helpful for clothing. (My mom, bless her heart, is currently on a one in, two out in order to rein in her closet.)

Not exactly a one in, one out rule. But I do go thru my closet every time I receive more castoffs I love from coworkers. I  do the Konmarie method and donate several. So it all evens out.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2794 on: November 15, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
I also like that mantra to refuse first - has been slowly helping me to gain control.

Got rid of about 5 boxes of stuff recently. I have decided to eliminate some entire categories and that has really helped. We gave away an entire set of 18 books by the same author, and have not been tempted to buy the newest release by them. I used to have supplies for every craft known, but now I'm deciding on my favorite few and getting rid of the others in batches.

Items recently refused: about 75% of what was offered at a recent travel trade show (I did accept the reusable bag. Plus candy which only lasted me a few days) I am proud I did not bring home any new notebooks, pens, flyers, or memo pads.

Also refused a lot of functional, but not needed by me, stuff from my sister who was down-sizing for a move overseas.  I said no to all the cleaning supplies, games, clothes, art supplies I knew I wouldn't use.  I did take a box of alcohol, 2 items of clothing that have already seen use, and some blank canvases that have already been given to a friend holding a 'paint nite' this month.

I strive for zero waste-. Refuse is also Bea Johnson's first line of offense against producing waste. I think more in terms of zero waste-, rather than decluttering, but I also am WAY into decluttering- like Marie Kondos I began with fascination as a small child .
I do not accept any freebies of things that are new - like samples (,shampoos, etc), or free gifts (like pens, paper,etc). I find pens, hairtyes, and Bobby pins all the time anyway so I never need to buy these items - & they have ALREADY been produced & I've picked up on floors etc like I do with money found.
In terms of used clothing I am offered, I sort thru and the ones i  love hav a pile, maybes(almost always no's) in another, and another for no's. Try everything on that left and must have great fit (not easy with many body types!) And very IMPORTANTLY - will I wear it? That's what gets me every time! So, must be realistic. :)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2795 on: November 15, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
We attacked the junk drawer and filing cabinet last night. It's all tidy and organized and easy to find things in now!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #2796 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
Just got Marie Condo's audiobook from the library, after waiting in line..

yesterday (before starting the book)  I managed to donate to a youth shelter 2 items that have value but weren't good for me

Lynski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2797 on: November 15, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
I hope you enjoy the Kondo book! It's been a big help to me in prioritizing what items I want to keep. I think that was a big shift in my thinking, not just what can I get rid of, but what to I actually want to keep.

I got rid of 4 boxes of stuff to the local thrift store yesterday. A big part of that was clothing. I'm embarrassed to say some items still had the tags on. I used to shop for clothes online, and it's so easy to get swayed by constant sales and coupons. "Oh, adding that shirt to my order is only $12 more and will qualify me for free shipping!" After cutting my clothing down to about half of what I used to own, I have a new rule that the only items that get added are ones that I have tried on in person, fit well and I'm in love with. I hate dealing with malls, so this has made me much more intentional with what I'm shopping for.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2798 on: November 15, 2015, 04:08:41 PM »
Cleaned AND organized the kitchen pen/stamp/scissor/stuff drawer. Thankfully it has never been a real junk drawer, but sometimes it won't close. Now it closes and everything has a place!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2799 on: November 15, 2015, 06:44:48 PM »
I declutter the crap out of my kitchen today.  Got rid of lots of old spices and other ingredients we won't use.  The cabinets are so clean and spacious now.

Last week I tried the clothes rolling thing.  I don't like the process but it is nice being able to see everything in the drawer.  Got rid of enough stuff to fit my hamper in the closet so it doesn't have to be out in the room.  Huge box of stuff overflowing ready to go to the thrift store.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!