Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850086 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2700 on: October 20, 2015, 12:08:50 PM »
I only regret selling one thing - we had an XBox 360 and Kinect and sold them when we downsized to the smaller apartment, assuming I wouldn't have space to play dance games anymore due to the layout of the place. Well, it turns out that by mounting the TV on the wall and flipping up the Murphy bed, I have a perfect size square for dance games. We picked up a Wii U and I've been rocking out to Just Dance 2015, but it's not the same :( Oh, and I never got to play this awesome game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBDqXjVzXFw

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2701 on: October 20, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
I donated about 90% of my things for the first time at 19. I had decided to wander for a while, sleep outside, and at friends houses, at the beach. I said to my friends, take whatever you want. One took the hunting knife collection. One took a lot of clothing.   One took a lot of my cds. Etc. I kept a backpack full iof stuff, plus 2 paperbags full. purged about 75% again at 21. Again at 30 about 75% with the konmarie method. Each time I decluttered I had accumulated more of course, but wiith this last time, I am hiping ill be more discerning....
In regards to regrets, really only a few. All are books, mostly kids and young adult. And this is only because I haven't been able to find them again! Some books are extremely rare, but cèst la vie. I figure if I'm meant to read them again, I'll come upon them someday. Otherwise, I hav donated many many other books and don't miss them, hav got a couple from the library to reread.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:31:46 PM by riverffashion »

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2702 on: October 20, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »
I have no idea how many things I've tossed/donated/whatever (never thought to count!), but I have never missed anything.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2703 on: October 20, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
Thanks so much everyone, I feel reassured. What amazing efforts you have all made. I did my overseas experience in my early 20's with a single backpack for a year and a half and that time was all about experiences. I guess I want to recapture that foot loose feeling -as much as is possible with hubby and 2 kids. You know, I want to say, nice weather tomorrow, let's go camping, grab the well organized pile of camping gear and go. At the moment such things require a weeks planning...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2704 on: October 20, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
Every time I've gotten rid of a bunch of stuff that wasn't literally clothing that didn't fit, I've had regrets. Usually something minor within a week or two, but then the more serious regrets come to light over time. Just today I was talking to a student about a book I sold back decades ago, literally because I needed the money to buy food. I've regretted the loss ever since, though I made the right decision,the only one I could at the time.

With most getting-rid-offs, I've regretted, either an item that I couldn't replace, lit that book, or the money it later cost me to replace the replaceable. I don't tend to accumulate, so that's likely a part of it. Other than things breaking or wearing out or a more recent unfortunate tendency for changes in weight to mean I can't wear clothing, I really have a use for every item I own.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2705 on: October 20, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »
I decluttered about 2000+ items and haven't missed any in six months. Start with clothing so you can practice the decluttering with minimal loss.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #2706 on: October 20, 2015, 10:49:02 PM »
Just today I was talking to a student about a book I sold back decades ago, literally because I needed the money to buy food. I've regretted the loss ever since, though I made the right decision,the only one I could at the time.

I agree - this is literally the only thing I've ever been sorry I got rid of. I had more money as an undergraduate than as a grad student, and so there were a number of books from my undergrad studies that I sold in the next couple of years. I'd love to have them all back, but, one needs to eat. Oh well!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2707 on: October 21, 2015, 02:42:57 AM »
Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've gotten rid of about 3/4 of my belongings. No regrets except for not doing it sooner. Unfortunately you can't really tell I've done this cos DH is a packrat. He's gotten rid of about half of his stuff and it's still a lot of stuff.

Today's effort: donated 5 magazines and a hat to the oncology waiting room. There are boxes of free hats knitted by volunteers in all the wards (cos chemo often makes you lose your hair). One of the hats I was recently gifted was really not my style so I paid it forward.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2708 on: October 21, 2015, 02:57:09 AM »
Most of my things to jettison are clothes for me and the kids that my mum has bought from the op shop and either aren't my style, don't fit or kids have grown out of. There is a lot of kitchen/house stuff in the attic that I decided wasn't essential for the house (so obviously should go). I have tonnes of books but aside from a couple from my childhood I don't feel sentimental.  Am using the library lots and thinking about getting a tablet for reading ebooks/kids homework. Have lots of unfinished projects that need to go because they remind me that I struggle to finish what I start (which probably explains many well intentioned book purchases that I can't now enthuse myself to read. Will keep camping items/a few spare plates, towels, mugs for guests and a small box of sentimental items but the rest will be going.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2709 on: October 21, 2015, 05:56:49 PM »
Hi Kiwi

I am discovering the joys of fewer things. Recently I had two big things to prep for and I knew where everything was. In fact I had all the gear for one thing all stored together. 😊 My husband was so appreciative that he could reach it all without moving stuff.

Not one large regret- just a small one - wishing I had kept old shoes for painting.

I have found a surprise cache of small useless objects today and am feeling annoyed that I need To clear once more.

It really does seem to be permanent. I was in a gourmet cooking store this week and looked at all the stuff (while a friend shopped) and I got a twinge of acquisitiveness which faded quickly.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2710 on: October 21, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »
Hi wintersun, that is great to hear. My hubby is a hoarder of books and papers but at least he is tidy and it's limited to one corner of the attic. I have been the shopper and am messy/disorganized so most of the problem is mine. I am loving the tidiness and ease of finding things in the areas I have done.  I am glad to see it is permanent.  Perhaps the colossal effort involved in sorting, deliberating, piling up then rehoming/throwing out makes us much more reluctant to take on new possessions.  A long but awesome journey ahead...

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2711 on: October 22, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »

It really does seem to be permanent. I was in a gourmet cooking store this week and looked at all the stuff (while a friend shopped) and I got a twinge of acquisitiveness which faded quickly.

This is a great phrase! I definitely still suffer from this too.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2712 on: October 22, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
I'm still doing well after my big decluttering 2 months ago.  I have missed a few things, and have maybe spent $50 buying back stuff I got rid of...  But, having a cleaner, neater, more organized home has been completely worth it.  Even though I had to paint the bathroom naked because I threw away my painting clothes.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2713 on: October 22, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »
After realizing how many blankets we had, I pulled 5 out and gave them away.  There are still some more that should go, waiting on DH to talk to his sister about taking the sleeping bags for her kids to camp with.

Also, started recycling my old (worthless) textbooks a few at a time.  Pulling off the covers on the hardbacks was easy with a utility knife.  I don't want to toss them all at once so the recycle bin doesn't get too heavy.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2714 on: October 22, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
After realizing how many blankets we had, I pulled 5 out and gave them away.  There are still some more that should go, waiting on DH to talk to his sister about taking the sleeping bags for her kids to camp with.

Also, started recycling my old (worthless) textbooks a few at a time.  Pulling off the covers on the hardbacks was easy with a utility knife.  I don't want to toss them all at once so the recycle bin doesn't get too heavy.

can't sell them online?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2715 on: October 22, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »

can't sell them online?
They are science textbooks from almost 20 years ago, too much has changed in the research for them to be worth anything.  I may try selling a few that won't be outdated like the calculus one and "On The Origin Of Species".

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2716 on: October 23, 2015, 11:55:41 PM »
It's spring here in New Zealand and I'm having a traditional spring clean. Every nook and cranny of our house is getting an overhaul and I'm being really ruthless.  Already have about 2 full car loads of stuff to take away. Not lots of junk as I have decluttered before but just too much of everything.  My boys (3 & 5) had 30 pairs of hand me down trousers and shorts, and the stationary drawer had 50 pens and 20 pencils. We have an overabundance in every category in every room. So a big job but I've made a big dent today. I have bought lots of it from the local tip shop so will be taking it back there for people who will actually use the stuff.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2717 on: October 24, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »
Got rid of the bookshelve in my bedroom today. It was full of not-read yet books, some of the, having lived on one shelves for years. I am taking the books to them
Title free library in my neighborhood. I have transitioned to electronic books from my public library. I have gotten rid of two height bookshelves in my basement. There are 3 to go. Goal is to empty one tomorrow. Ink what the end point will be with the books (I don't want to get rid of all of them).

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #2718 on: October 24, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
Moving halfway across the country into a furnished apartment really helps one declutter. I've reduced all my possessions to fit in about 24 cubic ft or about a closet worth.
I put a picture of my possessions on my blog: http://www.livelikeyou.ca/decluttering-moving-prep/

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2719 on: October 24, 2015, 05:38:31 PM »
Just cleared out a grocery bag full of old tupperware containers. We bought some new ones, and the cabinet was overflowing... also chunked 2 bags of jigsaw puzzles my mom "had to get for us" from garage sales. None of my kids like puzzles.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #2720 on: October 24, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Took a bag of non-donatable clothes and some assorted metal pieces to a recycle center.  Not much, but it's more stuff out of the house!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2721 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
Sold a horse blanket on Craig's list yesterday, put the old iron in the donate pile.  I hardly ever iron, why did I think I needed a spare.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2722 on: October 25, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
Meadowlark, I had to laugh at the bought of you naked painting your loo. Such a funny image!!!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2723 on: October 25, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
Re-organised four shelves and four drawers. Came up with a bag of rubbish and a bag for charity.

I then allocated one empty drawer to store thermals, beanies, etc. We're now in summer, so it's better to have it out of the way, and if we do need it to travel it makes life easier to be able to grab it all from one place.

And in case I'm hit by a bus or something and my husband needs to find his gloves, I even labelled the drawer.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2724 on: October 25, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
The consignment shop gave me $12.50 for the jumperoo. That kind of stung, considering I paid $60 for it less than a year ago, but it wasn't moving on fb or craigslist, so I decided something is better than nothing. They didn't want my other baby stuff - bottle warmer and playmat - because they don't buy/sell those at all for whatever reason. I'm going to try the other shop tomorrow; pretty sure they'll take it. If not, back to fb/cl. I also have one of these, which was given to me. I didn't think it was worth anything, but it turns out they're going for $15-30 on ebay! So that's where it's headed; I'll never use it.

I sorted through the bottle cabinet the other day and got rid of several incomplete bottle/nipple sets, pacifiers, and other small things we don't need anymore. It's kind of sad because I was kind of hoping we'd have at least one more baby, and getting rid of baby things means accepting the reality that we almost certainly won't.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2725 on: October 26, 2015, 02:50:53 AM »

I sorted through the bottle cabinet the other day and got rid of several incomplete bottle/nipple sets, pacifiers, and other small things we don't need anymore. It's kind of sad because I was kind of hoping we'd have at least one more baby, and getting rid of baby things means accepting the reality that we almost certainly won't.

Sorry to hear you're struggling tofuchampion. Decluttering can be surprisingly upsetting as we let go of idea of who and what we thought we would be as well as the material things.

I did my crafting stuff (er... again again). Why was I keeping half that stuff? Why did I think I needed 15 paintbrushes? Because they came in a set, apparently. I kept 5, one of each general size. The rest went to charity. Lots of things gone. I thought it would get harder to find stuff to cull, but it's almost getting easier as I realise I used to have 4 times that amount and don't miss anything.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #2726 on: October 26, 2015, 06:07:17 AM »
We organized the closet yesterday and tossed out another bag of clothes. The dresser is now empty. I put it up for sale. If nobody picks it up by the end of the week it will be recycled. We have a small apartment and I want more space.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2727 on: October 26, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »
Moving halfway across the country into a furnished apartment really helps one declutter. I've reduced all my possessions to fit in about 24 cubic ft or about a closet worth.
I put a picture of my possessions on my blog: http://www.livelikeyou.ca/decluttering-moving-prep/

Wow!:)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2728 on: October 26, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
At the salon, I organized and majorly decluttered the color room. Half the tint bowls and tint brushes out(there were like 30 bowls and 100 brushes). I recycled the decrepid . I also recyclabled several empty bottles of randoms.
Organized the break room as well.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2729 on: October 26, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

Sorry to hear you're struggling tofuchampion. Decluttering can be surprisingly upsetting as we let go of idea of who and what we thought we would be as well as the material things.

Idk if I'd call it struggling... just a little twinge of sadness.

KMMK - woah! Way to go! I did something similar back in 2009 - moved to another state with only what I could pack into my Chevy Aveo. I slept on an air mattress for a year... and it was great.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:16:25 AM by tofuchampion »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2730 on: October 26, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »

Wow! That's amazing!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2731 on: October 27, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
Cleaned out my desk. Got rid of old revisions (basically stacks of papers hanging out), a non-working FitBit (it was my second one that crapped out, so it wasn't worth it for me to call and request a new one), re-attached a metal thing to Fido's kennel, corralled our loose batteries, and re-homed some old notebooks (after pulling out some pages that had lists of... well, it looked like a game of VERY ADULT Scattergories in neither mine nor DH's handwriting...)

It took about 10 minutes to get everything done, and while it's a small part of the apartment it made me feel productive and a little lighter!

(Now if I can convince DH to clean out HIS desk...)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2732 on: October 27, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
Cleaned up my desk at work. Went through all the boxes I had and returned anything I wasn't using. Now I'm down to one small storage cabinet. Feel very very good!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2733 on: October 27, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
Jumped back on the fly lady bandwagon - in the living room this week I got rid of about 45 magazines, 10 juvenile DVDs, and threw away a white plastic kitchen bag of miscellaneous leftovers and broken bits. Also found a $50 gift card that still had $50 on it (Target). It may be one of the kids, but I am keeping it for a cleaning fee. ( I know they have no idea it is there since it has Christmas theme.) Sue me! :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2734 on: October 29, 2015, 06:12:27 AM »

I did my crafting stuff (er... again again). Why was I keeping half that stuff? Why did I think I needed 15 paintbrushes? Because they came in a set, apparently. I kept 5, one of each general size. The rest went to charity. Lots of things gone. I thought it would get harder to find stuff to cull, but it's almost getting easier as I realise I used to have 4 times that amount and don't miss anything.

I woke up and realised, huh, why do I need even 5 paintbrushes? I DON'T. If I ever need one (unlikely) I'll buy the right one then. Threw them all in the donate bag. And got rid of everything else in the 'craft' bin. A few things went to stationery, everything else, donated. If I really wanted to make jewellery, I would have made it by now. I am not short of time, I'm short of space.

Now that bin has gone elsewhere, where it can hold stuff I actually need and like and use, and the space on the shelf, is just glorious space.

On target for 2015 things gone in 2015.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2735 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:16 PM »

+1!! :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2736 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »
I'd been collecting certain items at the request of various friends (plastic shopping bags, egg cartons, empty spirit bottles, etc). I dropped all that off on the weekend so that was a small load off.

Lately I feel like there has been a lot of getting bags ready to sell/donate/toss and not a lot of actual getting rid of stuff.

I think it's time to forget eBay for a while and just donate, donate, donate to get stuff out of the house.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2737 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Did a couple hours of decluttering and organizing in the break room at work today .let's just say all the cabinets are junk drawers- useless junk, not the donating kind. Six bags recycling out. One bag trash out. So satisfying.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2738 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
We did some serious furniture rearrangement on the weekend. Now I can see the clutter everywhere. Hopefully I can get on with actual cleaning for our rent inspection and save the removal of irritating clutter to the week after.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2739 on: November 01, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Good luck with the inspection!

I forgot to post my recent decluttering. D'oh! I donated the expensive boots and a box of stuff* that had been sitting next to the front door for I don't know how many months. We gave it all to a local charity fundraiser thingy last week.

* glass teacup and saucers that were a recent gift but I don't like drinking hot drinks out of glass nor teacups and saucers, a top that was uncomfortable, some op shop glassware and a few books.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2740 on: November 02, 2015, 12:55:17 AM »
It probably isn't very mustachian but I've decided to take everything I need to get rid of to the tip shop 5 mins down the road.  Yes, I could probably make money if I invested the time but I really just want to be rid of everything and time spent listing stuff and managing sales is time not spent sorting and getting rid of clutter. I have bought a lot from the tip shop over the years and a lot of people who are hard up shop there, it is run by the local council so is not for profit and they sell stuff cheap so it is affordable for all. I took a whole car boot full of stuff there on the weekend (mostly books), then realised I need an extra sleeping bag for a camping trip this weekend and found one there for $5!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2741 on: November 02, 2015, 12:56:57 AM »
It probably isn't very mustachian but I've decided to take everything I need to get rid of to the tip shop 5 mins down the road.  Yes, I could probably make money if I invested the time but I really just want to be rid of everything and time spent listing stuff and managing sales is time not spent sorting and getting rid of clutter. I have bought a lot from the tip shop over the years and a lot of people who are hard up shop there, it is run by the local council so is not for profit and they sell stuff cheap so it is affordable for all. I took a whole car boot full of stuff there on the weekend (mostly books), then realised I need an extra sleeping bag for a camping trip this weekend and found one there for $5!

I think it's quite mustachian. You're keeping stuff out of landfill, reducing your overall impact on the environment. And helping others find stuff they need at affordable prices. It's not just about the money :)

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2742 on: November 02, 2015, 01:24:31 AM »
Thanks Astatine, you turned my feeling lazy into warm and fuzzies :)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2743 on: November 02, 2015, 06:32:22 AM »

I think it's quite mustachian. You're keeping stuff out of landfill, reducing your overall impact on the environment. And helping others find stuff they need at affordable prices. It's not just about the money :)

Good point.  I will sell stuff on ebay that I barely make any money on.  I'd rather do that than throw it in the trash.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2744 on: November 02, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »

Good point.  I will sell stuff on ebay that I barely make any money on.  I'd rather do that than throw it in the trash.

If you've got the mental/emotional energy for that. :) I don't. But luckily my city also has recycling sheds at the rubbish tips and they take nearly everything, so it's just one trip out there vs dealing with ebay (which I've never used as a buyer or a seller). I also use freecycle, which is less effort than ebay. If I lived somewhere where they weren't options, I suspect I wouldn't bother with trying to sell stuff and things may end up in landfill. I balance mental health vs my personal values.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2745 on: November 05, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »

If you've got the mental/emotional energy for that. :) I don't. But luckily my city also has recycling sheds at the rubbish tips and they take nearly everything, so it's just one trip out there vs dealing with ebay (which I've never used as a buyer or a seller). I also use freecycle, which is less effort than ebay. If I lived somewhere where they weren't options, I suspect I wouldn't bother with trying to sell stuff and things may end up in landfill. I balance mental health vs my personal values.

I did the same. I donated most things.  I just don't have the patience to deal with all the posting and selling and mailing.  I wanted things out of the house and I figured others could use it.  I didn't throw anything away that was usable and in good shape. It all got donated, with the exception of a few things which got sold.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2746 on: November 05, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »
Tuesday night I was out of town for work and talking to my husband on the phone.  He was scrounging around the house for stuff to donate for a fundraiser auction at work.  I had him toss in a few things I was planning to get rid of, and he was rummaging around down in the basement and brought some of his stuff.  Then yesterday I got home and he had a pile of stuff to take to the annual ski sale, and was posting a motorcycle helmet on Craigslist.  I don't know what sparked this, but he is usually totally complacent about getting rid of stuff.  Really exciting!

I've been reading the KonMari book and starting to fill up a big box with random stuff that escaped my last bout of decluttering.  I have probably almost $1,000 worth of horse gear to sell on eBay and should have time to get it all listed soon.  Next we need to corral all our household hazardous waste/old electronics and get them gone.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2747 on: November 07, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
Ok, so this is going to be way worse than the average post in this thread, so please apply face punches as necessary...

Over the last 3.5 years i've purchased 10 storage lockers of various sizes at auction as a fun hobby/side hustle.  I've been pretty good (at least initially) about getting rid of the leftover junk that builds up after moving all the easy to sell items, however in the last few months i've been too busy (excuse alert!) with my day job and family to hold a proper garage sale or spend much time organizing and listing all the little things and throwing out the junk.

The last unit i bought over this summer was larger than usually (or should have) bought and was very disorganized.  I've already made my money back and then some on it, but still have an entire bedroom of the house and most of a cube van full of stuff that needs time-consuming organization and listing for sale, or donation or trash.  I also personally have WAY more stuff than i need without all the extra locker junk and will embark on a mission over the next few months to get rid of all leftover locker items and much of my un-needed/un-used personal things. 

My goals are to sell at least $1000 worth of stuff by the end of November, to have the bedroom completely cleaned out by the end of January and to have gone through and sold, donated or thrown out ALL unnecessary possessions by the end of February. 

Wish me luck

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2748 on: November 07, 2015, 09:33:15 PM »
Today I've put several water bottles into recycling. (I get a new one every hospital visit and the empties have been accumulating at home)

Threw out some out packaging that's no longer needed. Also threw out some instructions for something I no longer own.

I've also started a new donate box. Nearly full! We'll take it to the recycling shed at the rubbish tip next time we're out that way. So far, the donation box has:

- a children's book (bought from an op shop as a gift but realised it's to tatty to use as a gift)
- 2 of my tops (one looks dowdy, the other is uncomfortable)
- candle plus 2 fake candles that I bought for a party
- old digital camera that I got from freecycle ages ago and never used
- a bag that some medical stuff came in

DH is going through his boxes of memoriabilia/sentimental stuff. A few things have made it into the recycling bin. It's mostly a consolidation exercise so we can fit some work stuff under the bed. (we're working from home for the next 5 or 6 months and there isn't space for some of the work stuff we have to have)

Wish me luck

Good luck! On the plus side, I assume you have no emotional attachment to the stuff. Hopefully that means it's just a matter of getting organised and not having to fight with/manage sentimal reactions to the stuff.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2749 on: November 07, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »
Today I've put several water bottles into recycling. (I get a new one every hospital visit and the empties have been accumulating at home)

Threw out some out packaging that's no longer needed. Also threw out some instructions for something I no longer own.

I've also started a new donate box. Nearly full! We'll take it to the recycling shed at the rubbish tip next time we're out that way. So far, the donation box has:

- a children's book (bought from an op shop as a gift but realised it's to tatty to use as a gift)
- 2 of my tops (one looks dowdy, the other is uncomfortable)
- candle plus 2 fake candles that I bought for a party
- old digital camera that I got from freecycle ages ago and never used
- a bag that some medical stuff came in

DH is going through his boxes of memoriabilia/sentimental stuff. A few things have made it into the recycling bin. It's mostly a consolidation exercise so we can fit some work stuff under the bed. (we're working from home for the next 5 or 6 months and there isn't space for some of the work stuff we have to have)

Wish me luck

Good luck! On the plus side, I assume you have no emotional attachment to the stuff. Hopefully that means it's just a matter of getting organised and not having to fight with/manage sentimal reactions to the stuff.

Yeah, it is WAY easier to be ruthlessly unemotional with someone else's former belongings!  Good practice for me for when i get around to going through my own stuff.  I'm posting things as reply :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:05:28 PM by JAYSLOL »