Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850123 times)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2650 on: October 02, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
We have a kerbside pickup this week. I'm considering getting rid of:
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- assorted outdoor chairs
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

It will be so fabulous to create a space you love!
I got all psyched up, then realised it's not for 2 more weeks. So, I have time to plan for more stuff to go...

Edited to add: just real the "rules" and they won't take anything longer than 1.5m, which is several of my items. Will try anyway, and might have to hire something to take them to the tip if they don't :(
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:30:03 AM by anatidaev »

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #2651 on: October 03, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

I am getting rid of my pressure cooker, crockpot, and rice cooker because Instant Pot.

I keep looking at the Instant Pot but cannot pull the trigger for some reason.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2652 on: October 03, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
Finally rid of the microwave I thought I had a buyer for a few months ago, but they flaked multiple times- then I never took it to goodwill.

The best part- I freecycled it to someone who seems genuinely thrilled to have a microwave. Man, I take a lot for granted.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #2653 on: October 03, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I found 2 spare DVD players along with our VHS player in the closet. I'm copying the VHS tapes over to DVD and will soon be able to get rid of all these spares, along with a whole shelf of VHS tapes!

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2654 on: October 04, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
I haven't had much success lately. I did sell my daughter's pack & play for $40. I listed a bunch more baby stuff on a local facebook buy/sell page, but no bites yet, just one lowball attempt. Then tonight I was looking on eBay and found out that the same things are selling there for more than I've been asking, so I'm in the process of listing it there instead.

My kitchen stuff needs to be the next category to konmari. I have a teeny-tiny kitchen and a zillion things that I never use. We have a crock-pot that got used once and then stopped working. A cupcake display thing that was used once, at our wedding 4 years ago, and has been sitting in the box ever since. An ice cream maker that was a wedding present, and I don't want it because I'm no longer friends with the person who gave it, so, y'know, negative associations. Et cetera. I'd love to toss our mismatched dishes and silverware and get a nice basic matching set, but that costs money,
Maybe if you sell the cupcake tower and ice cream maker you can put that $ towards new dishes. Maybe you/DH can send a company wide email at work to see if you can get a hassle free sale.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #2655 on: October 04, 2015, 12:26:17 PM »
I took a big step last week.  I took a leather coat and two cashmere sweaters to the consignment shop.  They've been too tight for a few years now, but every fall I'd put them on.  Nope, they did not magically grow to fit me over the summer.  But I held on to them anyway thinking I will lose those 20 pounds.  Now it was time to let them go, but hard because…  leather and cashmere!  My closets now have some wiggle room which is nice.  I've gotten rid of other things too but those three items were hard to let go of.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2656 on: October 05, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »
I took a big step last week.  I took a leather coat and two cashmere sweaters to the consignment shop.  They've been too tight for a few years now, but every fall I'd put them on.  Nope, they did not magically grow to fit me over the summer.  But I held on to them anyway thinking I will lose those 20 pounds.  Now it was time to let them go, but hard because…  leather and cashmere!  My closets now have some wiggle room which is nice.  I've gotten rid of other things too but those three items were hard to let go of.

Elle, I know the feeling exactly!  I gained weight over the last couple of years and could not fit into several of my nice cashmere and merino sweaters.  It was so hard to let them go!  I also consigned several very nice handbags in the spring.  Bringing them to the consignment store really hurt, even though they were sitting in my closet unused.  But it was a temporary feeling and it passed quickly.  I am now enjoying the empty space in my closet and the simplicity of having less.

redfreddie3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2657 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:21 PM »
Four trash bags full of clothing, purses and shoes out of my house today into happy new homes.  Makes me a little sick to think of the money wasted.  Also recycled several of the clothing hangers I was using in my daughter's closet by dropping them off at the children's consignment shop, they were happy to have them.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2658 on: October 07, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
Yay, another bag of clothing out today.

I was in the bath last night and got out and just did a quick throw away of stuff from my one big chest of drawers. It makes me feel good to look in there afterwards and see everything so minimalist and neat.:)

frompa

• Bristles
« Reply #2659 on: October 08, 2015, 09:22:49 AM »
Hi all, this thread is remarkable.  I read the Marie Kondo book a few months ago and then got rid of about six bags of old clothes -- just as the winter stuff was going into the attic, and the summer stuff coming into my bedroom.   Now, with this next change of seasons already here, it's time for another purge.

You are motivational; inspiring, even!

For me, the key is being present because I can live in clutter and mess and not consciously notice, though after having read the MK book, I found myself occasionally seeing where I was and saying to myself "Hmm, there's really nothing on this table that needs to be here.  I can toss those papertowels I used under last week's iced tea, that folder of our travel papers can be tossed now that the trip is over, and these three books need to go in the give away pile."  Amazing both how easy it is to live shut down, and how transformative opening my eyes can be.  You all are eye openers! 

relena

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2660 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:29 AM »
I got rid of 4 giant trash bags of clothes!

I haven't finished the marie kondo book on audio yet (the waitlist for the library ebook has 29 ppl ahead of me!) lucky for me, i went over to the next county and joined that library (now number 4 on the waitlist)

I also put aside 2 large boxes of boxes to donate to the library.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2661 on: October 12, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »

I haven't finished the marie kondo book on audio yet (the waitlist for the library ebook has 29 ppl ahead of me!) lucky for me, i went over to the next county and joined that library (now number 4 on the waitlist)

Ha! I was wait listed 126! Took several months to get to me but is worth it :). Also, before I read I actually did a lot of reading online about the Konmari Method and tidied before I even read the book . there are a lot of details in the book however that are not always found in a blog.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2662 on: October 13, 2015, 06:34:29 AM »
We have a kerbside pickup this week. I'm considering getting rid of:
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- assorted outdoor chairs
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

It will be so fabulous to create a space you love!
I got all psyched up, then realised it's not for 2 more weeks. So, I have time to plan for more stuff to go...

Edited to add: just real the "rules" and they won't take anything longer than 1.5m, which is several of my items. Will try anyway, and might have to hire something to take them to the tip if they don't :(
Decided to keep 1 couch and 1 office chair, but the rest is gone. As well as a large flat piece of plywood (which, if I find a project for such a thing, I will simply ask around/gumtree/buy another one). Also a cute little wheelbarrow garden decoration that went rusty and paint started peeling (not suitable for the outdoors despite the advertising) and a coffee table I picked up off gumtree and was using as a planting bench.

Vaguely upset at giving away Grandparents-In-Laws dining table even though they didn't want it and neither did anyone on Gumtree. The office chair and couch that we put out are already gone by a verge-picker, so I'm actually really happy about that. Yay!

The rest of the stuff in our house is all small things that either need electronics disposal or will fit in our bin, so I'm so happy!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2663 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:59 PM »
Earlier this year I had to change medicines (blood test showed I needed to come off them). So I had 3 boxes of tablets I was never going to use so yesterday we took them to the local pharmacy for disposal.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2664 on: October 13, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

So the other morning I went into the kitchen and it was in worst ever state ive seen it. Wish u could post the video, but my phone doesn't hav the capability. Mess of food preparing, dirty dishes, cabinets left open, garbage on floor, recycling needed emptying, dishes in dish drain, carpet iin corner as if kicked over.... When I later morning ran into her in the kitchen I said, "I love you but this is ridiculous". Mind you, she's a really peaceful, gentle person with this being her flaw. It was hard to confront her. But when I moved in and get former roommate (with a two year old) moved out, she said she was looking forward to a tidy house. Being tidy myself I was happy to hear this. So as you can imagine I became quickly appalled.
In any case, comment seems to hav had an effect, because when I came home, was spotless- kitchen & dining room. And the next day the laundry area was cleaned up, bathrooms, hallways becoming cleared, book cabinets decuttered and sorted....!

I am so happy to say that my roommate has seriously caught the decluttering bug! :). Everyday some new area is clean and tidy or some piece of furniture or stack of books donated. And the kitchen is always spotless.
At my recommendation she has ordered Marie Kondos book from the library.
She says she is really enjoying the process:). As well as the clean & clear space as well. The biggest thing for her was this: she has a lot of stuff passed on from family. I asked her if she likes them. I told her that if she donates or sells the things she doesn't like, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her family. So she has let go of a substantial amount of this type.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2665 on: October 14, 2015, 06:27:01 AM »
I need motivation to get on this again. My biggest issue is I don't have a good place to get rid of stuff that really needs to go.  No one takes books, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest half price books!  (And I guess textbooks I just take the cover off and put them into recycling?)

And I have got to get the "baby's room" emptied out. There is an actual deadline on that.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2666 on: October 14, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »

how much did you get for them?

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2667 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:20 AM »
Hi all, this thread is remarkable.  I read the Marie Kondo book a few months ago and then got rid of about six bags of old clothes -- just as the winter stuff was going into the attic, and the summer stuff coming into my bedroom.   Now, with this next change of seasons already here, it's time for another purge.

You are motivational; inspiring, even!

For me, the key is being present because I can live in clutter and mess and not consciously notice, though after having read the MK book, I found myself occasionally seeing where I was and saying to myself "Hmm, there's really nothing on this table that needs to be here.  I can toss those papertowels I used under last week's iced tea, that folder of our travel papers can be tossed now that the trip is over, and these three books need to go in the give away pile."  Amazing both how easy it is to live shut down, and how transformative opening my eyes can be.  You all are eye openers!

This is so me. Minus the paper towel thing. I do collect takeout napkins.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2668 on: October 14, 2015, 07:20:52 AM »

Check to see if your library is connected with Hoopla. I could listen to the book instantly on there, rather than get in the long line waiting for the book. It was all a resource connected to my library card.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2669 on: October 14, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »
I need motivation to get on this again. My biggest issue is I don't have a good place to get rid of stuff that really needs to go.  No one takes books, and I don't want to drive 45 minutes to the nearest half price books!  (And I guess textbooks I just take the cover off and put them into recycling?)

And I have got to get the "baby's room" emptied out. There is an actual deadline on that.

the local library doesn't take books?

sell your textbooks online. Bookscouter connects you with the highest price.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2670 on: October 14, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
I got rid of magazines. I have been getting subscriptions to over 10 different magazines for free. Didn't read a single one of them. Just collecting. Took them to my local library. Cancelled subscriptions online.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2671 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »

Libraries usually take books then sell them as a fundraiser.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2672 on: October 14, 2015, 07:35:24 AM »

Libraries usually take books then sell them as a fundraiser.

Ours will not. They got too much junk so they discontinued accepting any donations; their sale is just old copies of their own books. It just put the onus of getting rid of them on the library.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2673 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
Can you donate the books instead? Goodwill and savers takes books, though I haven't seen textbooks in there.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2674 on: October 14, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »
Yesterday, I placed ads in our local paper for my queen sized futon and a bedliner from my new truck.  Since the slide in camper didn't play well with the bedliner, the bedliner was removed.  It is now sitting in my yard, but really needs to find a new home.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2675 on: October 14, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

So the other morning I went into the kitchen and it was in worst ever state ive seen it. Wish u could post the video, but my phone doesn't hav the capability. Mess of food preparing, dirty dishes, cabinets left open, garbage on floor, recycling needed emptying, dishes in dish drain, carpet iin corner as if kicked over.... When I later morning ran into her in the kitchen I said, "I love you but this is ridiculous". Mind you, she's a really peaceful, gentle person with this being her flaw. It was hard to confront her. But when I moved in and get former roommate (with a two year old) moved out, she said she was looking forward to a tidy house. Being tidy myself I was happy to hear this. So as you can imagine I became quickly appalled.
In any case, comment seems to hav had an effect, because when I came home, was spotless- kitchen & dining room. And the next day the laundry area was cleaned up, bathrooms, hallways becoming cleared, book cabinets decuttered and sorted....!

I am so happy to say that my roommate has seriously caught the decluttering bug! :). Everyday some new area is clean and tidy or some piece of furniture or stack of books donated. And the kitchen is always spotless.
At my recommendation she has ordered Marie Kondos book from the library.
She says she is really enjoying the process:). As well as the clean & clear space as well. The biggest thing for her was this: she has a lot of stuff passed on from family. I asked her if she likes them. I told her that if she donates or sells the things she doesn't like, it doesn't mean she doesn't love her family. So she has let go of a substantial amount of this type.

Wow. Now roomie has purged former boyfriends old dresser withbad memory's of Ex -he apparently walked out after a year, on Christmas, never said anything, never saw again.. And I noted she kept the dresser by her bed! Unconsciously of course, interesting indeed. This is a big move for her, so happy for her.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2676 on: October 14, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »
Can you donate the books instead? Goodwill and savers takes books, though I haven't seen textbooks in there.

We don't have a savers. I'll have to call Goodwill again- they told me only children's books.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2677 on: October 14, 2015, 01:54:21 PM »
I think the garbage people at my parent's hate it when I visit. This past weekend, did some work on the garage that resulted in a big pile of rotted wood to be picked up.

Then we finished painting the garage earlier than I expected, so I did some things around the house for them, and got one of the old metal kitchen cabinets out of the attic and into the trash. Please don't ask why they have it, never mind the other two. Ran out of energy then, but I I do plan to get the other cabinet out of the attic and toss it.

Maybe I can get rid of a couple of chairs in the attic that mom doesn't want. Those will go to goodwill or somewhere though, she'll never stand for them to be tossed.

The last time I was there, I threw out an old fridge!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2678 on: October 15, 2015, 03:03:08 PM »
I think the garbage people at my parent's hate it when I visit. This past weekend, did some work on the garage that resulted in a big pile of rotted wood to be picked up.

Then we finished painting the garage earlier than I expected, so I did some things around the house for them, and got one of the old metal kitchen cabinets out of the attic and into the trash. Please don't ask why they have it, never mind the other two. Ran out of energy then, but I I do plan to get the other cabinet out of the attic and toss it.

Maybe I can get rid of a couple of chairs in the attic that mom doesn't want. Those will go to goodwill or somewhere though, she'll never stand for them to be tossed.

Idk what the rules are in Chicago, but where I live wood is recyclable as long as not covered in creosote. Also, if the mechanic piece of a fridge is removed is also excepted.
And chairs along with just about any functional or decorative item is excepted at goodwill & salvation army. Even fridges as long as they function (obviously).
Anyway, I know the rules and laws for everything are different everywhere. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2679 on: October 15, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

We don't have a savers. I'll have to call Goodwill again- they told me only children's books.
Do you have a Free Little Library near you?  I have two that I pass when I walk my dog, so I drop off books as soon as I finish reading them. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2680 on: October 15, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »

Idk what the rules are in Chicago, but where I live wood is recyclable as long as not covered in creosote. Also, if the mechanic piece of a fridge is removed is also excepted.
And chairs along with just about any functional or decorative item is excepted at goodwill & salvation army. Even fridges as long as they function (obviously).

They're in Michigan, I'm in Chicago. It'd be a lot easier for me if they were here! There are pickers who take things. I know that the metal stuff was picked up by someone before trash day in the past, and the fridge didn't work so whoever took it is welcome to recycle it. A lot of stuff is picked up, and I think that there's something done with wood as well.

The problem with the chairs is that they're big - thus harder to fit into the car. Plus, they're in the attic. Which is reached by the narrow, steep, and twisty back staircase. Not fun. But the point of this is that when they have to move, it's slightly easier to move them. Though I'm sure it'll still be a nightmare. Mom's on board in general, and sis and I had gone through the attic with her so we know what can go without a fight.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2681 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:19 PM »

They're in Michigan, I'm in Chicago. It'd be a lot easier for me if they were here! There are pickers who take things. I know that the metal stuff was picked up by someone before trash day in the past, and the fridge didn't work so whoever took it is welcome to recycle it. A lot of stuff is picked up, and I think that there's something done with wood as well.

The problem with the chairs is that they're big - thus harder to fit into the car. Plus, they're in the attic. Which is reached by the narrow, steep, and twisty back staircase. Not fun. But the point of this is that when they have to move, it's slightly easier to move them. Though I'm sure it'll still be a nightmare. Mom's on board in general, and sis and I had gone through the attic with her so we know what can go without a fight.

I see what you mean. Sounds like they have a good system for pickup where they live in Michigan. .

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2682 on: October 17, 2015, 10:36:02 AM »
I went thru my fabric again and donated half(stock is small because I just used it all up in preparation for an art show. I must be more discerning about what I accept ( I upcycle only- using donations from friends , fiund, and my worn out clothing articles, wirn blankets, etc ).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2683 on: October 18, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »
Piled up 14 books that had come into my life without me seeking them out. Many had been on my bookshelf - unread - for more than two years. My parents are planning a garage sale, so I will drop them off there.

Tossed a pair of used shoelaces I had apparently saved 'just in case'. Tossed them without another thought.

Started a new bag for charity. Added a pair of new airline pants courtesy of my husband. (We're coming into summer in Australia so he won't need as many pairs of long pants. He flies 80+ times a year; if he wants more comfy pants to dag around the house in, he can pick them up on an international flight before next winter.)

Also added a fairly new t-shirt of mine that was a bad judgment call on my part. Not hanging onto the shirt, not hanging onto the guilt.

I have become 'the decluttering person'. Last week a friend's husband posted an article about decluttering to my Facebook page. And when I visit a certain friend now she tells me about decluttering her wardrobe or the kids' toys, etc. I'm thrilled for her.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2684 on: October 18, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
I painted my bathroom today.  I had de cluttered all my clothes I didn't like.  I had to paint naked.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2685 on: October 18, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I haven't had much success lately. I did sell my daughter's pack & play for $40. I listed a bunch more baby stuff on a local facebook buy/sell page, but no bites yet, just one lowball attempt. Then tonight I was looking on eBay and found out that the same things are selling there for more than I've been asking, so I'm in the process of listing it there instead.

My kitchen stuff needs to be the next category to konmari. I have a teeny-tiny kitchen and a zillion things that I never use. We have a crock-pot that got used once and then stopped working. A cupcake display thing that was used once, at our wedding 4 years ago, and has been sitting in the box ever since. An ice cream maker that was a wedding present, and I don't want it because I'm no longer friends with the person who gave it, so, y'know, negative associations. Et cetera. I'd love to toss our mismatched dishes and silverware and get a nice basic matching set, but that costs money,
Maybe if you sell the cupcake tower and ice cream maker you can put that $ towards new dishes. Maybe you/DH can send a company wide email at work to see if you can get a hassle free sale.

This is a good idea!

I might actually keep the cupcake tower; I'm planning to use it for my DD's birthday party next month. But I don't HAVE to use it; I can put cupcakes on a plate or something. Plus, using it twice in 5 years isn't really getting good use out of it. IDK.

My work actually has internal classified ads that I've used to sell things in the past; I'm at work now so I'll go ahead and list everything.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2686 on: October 19, 2015, 03:43:09 AM »
Going to go ahead and get rid of all the magazines. They are not getting read. I have been cancelling the subscriptions as new issues have come in. Ugh, I have no time to read them. oh well.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2687 on: October 19, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
Sent a giant bag of clothes to Schoola. 
Happy to have it out of the garage :)

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #2688 on: October 19, 2015, 08:19:27 AM »
Some of you have said you've had trouble getting rid of books.  I actually just recycled some of mine.  The Chicago Public Library doesn't take book donations (due to volume received and it being more work to process donations than just buy them) and my local used book store denied them, so I just recycled.  There were a few text books that were a few editions out of date (aka useless) so those got recycled too.  I don't think its bad to recycle books that aren't in demand.  They're probably available at the library anyway (probably in a newer edition), if its not in demand you're probably not preventing a new one from being printed by offering yours second hand, and lastly since your book has already been made the materials have already been used so no use feeling guilt about recycling.  In general its good to try to find new homes for things, but sometimes its just time to toss stuff.

jordanread

« Reply #2689 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
I painted my bathroom today.  I had de cluttered all my clothes I didn't like.  I had to paint naked.

Bwahahaha! How awesome. I usually keep a pair of clothes that I absolutely love (but don't mind destroying) for painting and the like. That being said, painting naked is something I love to do. Good thing I'm not an artist, and only do painting a few times every decade or so.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2690 on: October 19, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »

Check to see if your library is connected with Hoopla. I could listen to the book instantly on there, rather than get in the long line waiting for the book. It was all a resource connected to my library card.

This was a great tip for me. I had no idea. I've been listening to it since lunchtime, while I groomed my dog....

Thanks!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2691 on: October 19, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »

LOL. I made sure to keep some "grungy" clothes so I don't frighten the neighbors while I'm gardening.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2692 on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
PSA: If anyone is looking for motivation to get rid of stuff, Hoarders is now on Netflix.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2693 on: October 19, 2015, 11:37:02 PM »
Hi all, I hate to ask this question but I'm going to anyway -anyone have declutters remorse?  Thrown out tonnes then wished you hadn't? Not just having to buy another pair of socks because you culled your sock drawer a bit too enthusiastically. But actual lasting regrets? I'm doing KonMarie but honestly I feel like I could throw everything away. I'm struggling to find joy in any of my things. Which of course begs the question why did I buy so much shit in the first place. I'm a Sahm and feel up to my ears in stuff -lots.of it that's not mine. I guess for decades I have mistakenly thought shopping (especially second hand) would make me happy but it didn't but I now have a house load to clear out. Please help reassure me that at the end of the process I will feel better -because doing the clearing out feels pretty draining.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2694 on: October 20, 2015, 05:37:32 AM »
Kiwi, trust us, you will feel better!  Start with one area, see how you feel.  I know you won't regret it.

Do be cautious about other people's things though, I wouldn't want you to cause strife in your household!  Maybe start someplace neutral like the medicine cabinet or kitchen cabinets.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2695 on: October 20, 2015, 06:39:32 AM »
re: remorse.

No.  You won't.  There might be an occassional item that flits through your mind, but at the same time you'll remember the mess you used to deal with and the clean space you have now and you'll be just fine with having let it go. 

Irreplaceable things are worth taking ones time with, they are where regret may happen.  But replaceable things can be culled without mercy.   

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2696 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:55 AM »
Hi all, I hate to ask this question but I'm going to anyway -anyone have declutters remorse?  Thrown out tonnes then wished you hadn't? Not just having to buy another pair of socks because you culled your sock drawer a bit too enthusiastically. But actual lasting regrets? I'm doing KonMarie but honestly I feel like I could throw everything away. I'm struggling to find joy in any of my things. Which of course begs the question why did I buy so much shit in the first place. I'm a Sahm and feel up to my ears in stuff -lots.of it that's not mine. I guess for decades I have mistakenly thought shopping (especially second hand) would make me happy but it didn't but I now have a house load to clear out. Please help reassure me that at the end of the process I will feel better -because doing the clearing out feels pretty draining.

I've gone pretty drastic - 1600 things gone this year and counting - and can honestly say I haven't regretted getting rid of a single thing. I couldn't even tell you what most of them were, even though I painfully deliberated about whether to get rid of about half of them.

I did try to put on a trouser suit this morning and couldn't find the trousers (like, anywhere!) so I am a bit worried I got rid of those...! But I just can't imagine I did, I like and wear them, plus the jacket only goes with them, so surely I would have donated both?! Hoping they turn up, and if they don't, oh well, it's not like I'll go naked. The space and mental space I have gained would be well worth one pair of trousers.

I keep reminding myself that if it's something I really miss I can rebuy it. And you know what? I haven't wanted to, ever. It's been so liberating to throw it all out that shopping (with the exception of fabric shopping for my hobby, dressmaking) has lost all appeal.

What I have done, however, is taken the opportunity to replace some things with nicer versions. Fewer, better quality things was the aim, and as I whittle my stuff down I can see what I genuinely use frequently, and then I feel fine spending a little money making that frequent usage more satisfying. Seeing things I love and use in my home really does make it feel like a nicer place!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2697 on: October 20, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
re: remorse.

No.  You won't.  There might be an occassional item that flits through your mind, but at the same time you'll remember the mess you used to deal with and the clean space you have now and you'll be just fine with having let it go. 

Irreplaceable things are worth taking ones time with, they are where regret may happen.  But replaceable things can be culled without mercy.   

100% in agreement.  Out of the hundreds and hundreds of items I've culled in the past 6 months (maybe 50 garbage bags of stuff, $2000 worth of ebay sales, and various items freecycled), I miss exactly two items:
  • Half used bottle of magnesium supplements (easily replaced).
  • Climbing harness (already 7 years old and probably needed to be replaced anyway).
In compensation for the above losses, I now have an great feeling of serenity whenever I walk into my home.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2698 on: October 20, 2015, 10:22:53 AM »
I have donated I would say about 70% of my belongings.  All and every category got hit.  I am not sure what I was thinking with all that shopping. I guess it is an addiction like everything else.  I don't miss a thing and love the space and peace it has created.  Although, I still have too much. Sometimes I have half a mind to get rid of it all and just start over. I wont do it at this point, but it gets tempting.  I really only want what I use and love.

The only thing I would say to people just starting out especially when it comes to clothes, make sure you are looking at what you are getting rid of. A few times I thought I was reaching for something else and ended up tossing some loved pieces in my haste.  Would I take everything back to get them back, heck no. 

I am really dragging my feet on collectibles though. I have a ton of lenox porclain collectibes and they are basically worth nothing.  I want to take them all and just donate them but I am not able to pull that bandaid just yet. Has anyone dealt with their collectibles?  What did you do?

Good luck to all. It is definitely a journey.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2699 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
A few months ago I realized that I'd given away something that would have again been useful to me, and had a day or two of regret.  Now I can't even remember what it was.

I can't wait to spend some time this winter taking another sweep through the house.  I won't get rid of DHs stuff, but some of it might end up in his junk room when hes gone skiing.