Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850137 times)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2600 on: September 23, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2601 on: September 23, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
This month marks one year since I began my purge.  I notice a few things have shifted and a few are still the same. 

Most of the house is pretty spotless and tidy.  It seems that once an area is dealt with and Kondoed I resist recluttering it.  When I walk into our bedroom and there is something out of place I quickly tidy it.  It is sort of like being inhabited by an alien: seeing my arms reach out and put things away.

I adore (ADORE!!!) the Mari Kondo style of folding clothes.  It has changed how I view my clothes.  Taking out a carefully folded packet gives me a lovely feeling.  I feel as though I am someone who cares about her possessions, not someone who lets them get all scrunched up.  I carefully selected what stays and what went so everything left is loved and appreciated.  This feels new to me.

Walking into the kitchen and seeing things on the counters feels icky so I don't let things accumulate much any more.  Such a delicious feeling.

I still have a pile of "to be dealt with" stuff. Dealing with that and not having it accumulate again will feel amazing. it is in the same spot it has been in for a year.  It all requires more attention such as scanning.  Scanning seems to be my bugbear.  Only one closet in the house left to do plus the one remaining pile of stuff.  I have put this off for some time.  I have never lived without clutter and I wonder if I have resistance to getting rid of the final bits?

My new habits seem to be ingrained but time will tell.  I am very aware of my love of visual order now and how clutter messes with my serenity (this from someone who used to have piles of paper and clothes next to her bed).  I feel a new peace when I am at home. When I survey a room and it is tidy I feel a wave of ease come over me.

How are things with the rest of you?  Notice any shifts in behaviour?  Are you loving your new life?

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2602 on: September 23, 2015, 11:53:13 AM »
This month marks one year since I began my purge.  I notice a few things have shifted and a few are still the same. 

Most of the house is pretty spotless and tidy.  It seems that once an area is dealt with and Kondoed I resist recluttering it.  When I walk into our bedroom and there is something out of place I quickly tidy it.  It is sort of like being inhabited by an alien: seeing my arms reach out and put things away.

I adore (ADORE!!!) the Mari Kondo style of folding clothes.  It has changed how I view my clothes.  Taking out a carefully folded packet gives me a lovely feeling.  I feel as though I am someone who cares about her possessions, not someone who lets them get all scrunched up.  I carefully selected what stays and what went so everything left is loved and appreciated.  This feels new to me.

Walking into the kitchen and seeing things on the counters feels icky so I don't let things accumulate much any more.  Such a delicious feeling.

I still have a pile of "to be dealt with" stuff. Dealing with that and not having it accumulate again will feel amazing. it is in the same spot it has been in for a year.  It all requires more attention such as scanning.  Scanning seems to be my bugbear.  Only one closet in the house left to do plus the one remaining pile of stuff.  I have put this off for some time.  I have never lived without clutter and I wonder if I have resistance to getting rid of the final bits?

My new habits seem to be ingrained but time will tell.  I am very aware of my love of visual order now and how clutter messes with my serenity (this from someone who used to have piles of paper and clothes next to her bed).  I feel a new peace when I am at home. When I survey a room and it is tidy I feel a wave of ease come over me.

How are things with the rest of you?  Notice any shifts in behaviour?  Are you loving your new life?

Wintersun, your transformation sounds fantastic!

I was tidy and neat to begin with but I did have a lot of stuff.  What I have learned over the last few months is that it's fine to let go of things.  For me, the biggest lesson from Mari Kondo  was to recognize when things have served their purpose.  And then to thank them for their service and let them go.  There was one line in her book that really resonated with me - I don't recall the exact words but it was an example of an article of clothing that didn't suit but you held on to it.  Not every item of clothing you buy has to be worn to death.  She said to recognize its real purpose as teaching you what color or cut didn't work for you and then let go because the item DID serve its purpose. 

Oh, and I do love her folding style.  It's magic, it works and it sticks with you!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2603 on: September 23, 2015, 12:09:11 PM »
ZiziPB,  hello fellow MK folding friend!!! (waves)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2604 on: September 23, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
I'm so excited, we are having an all city large trash day this weekend.  I have plans of getting rid a bunch of the larger things that I can't throw away normally such as the broken screen door and the blue barrel that we made into a horse for an event but haven't used since.

The only hitch in my plan is my husband has been ordered by a doctor to not lift anything over 5 pounds until the middle of October.  So I'm on my own for this.  Wish me luck, I'll need it!

JROH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2605 on: September 23, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
I just wanted to send a quick thank you for this thread!  I have been lurking for quite some time and am an aspiring minimalist at heart.

DH and I are welcoming twins into our two bedroom home in about three weeks and I was so nervous about the influx of stuff for the babies.  I have spent the last few weeks clearing out my own clutter and encouraging DH to do the same.  While I don't think we have an equal number of things going out as coming in, we are definitely streamlining our own lives to make room for two more humans.  Also we have been extremely picky about what we have purchased/ registered for the twins in hopes of keeping things to a minimum.  I feel very good about our choice to continue to live small as opposed to upgrading our house, car, and lifestyle simply because that is the status quo.

Thank you for your inspiration!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2606 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:09 PM »
Hi JROH, living small with kids can certainly be done and feel quite luxurious as well. My boys are a boisterous 3 and 5 and we plan to stay in our 2.5 bed indefinitely. I can tidy from hurricane level mess to immaculate in 15 mins and a thorough house clean takes an hour. You will have to put up with everyone assuming you plan to upsize or asking 'how you do it?' as if you were scaling Mt Everest with a baby on each hip. Most kid stuff is optional with the exception of your love, time and attention and if you keep your stuff minimal you will have an abundance of this to share. You will find there is a Manufactured Product for every parenting issue like teething, sleeping etc but most of them don't work and the phase soon passes. A deep breath and a sense of humour can cure most things without expense.  Best of luck for the adventures ahead!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2607 on: September 25, 2015, 02:25:24 AM »

Wintersun, it sounds like we are feeling similarly, although I don't think I'm quite as far along as you. I started at the end of January. My bedroom also now feels calm and relaxing, and I make the bed as soon as I get up, and hate to have anything out of place. I also find myself dusting and vacuuming much more frequently, because I get pleasure out of it looking nice. Never thought I'd say those words!

However, not everywhere in the house is like that yet, I still have work to do.

I'm also still folding MK style, and loving it. Even the underwear! But I have stopped organising everything by colour - dark and the back to light at the front, as she suggests. I just found it was harder to see what I had. 2 black t-shirts next to each other morph into one, but if I can see them distinctly I can recall what is different about each of them and why I like them.

The hardest part for me is using things up and not immediately replacing them. With most things I'm finishing them and THEN seeing if I miss them / need them. But I'm pretty much at the point now where everything is 'necessary' (used loosely, because, you know first world and all that), so when I empty something I immediately want a new one, even if I won't need it for a couple of months (eg hair dye. I'm used to having a current one, and one in stock. Now, I've finish everything I have in the house... but I still won't need the replacement for weeks or months). Forcing myself to wait.

Re scanning, would it be quicker / easier / acceptable to take photos instead? If you are just looking to 'take a copy' just in case, and will likely never look at it, I often find this sufficient, and far faster, using a camera, iphone, or ipad.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2608 on: September 25, 2015, 08:47:37 AM »
I'm so excited, we are having an all city large trash day this weekend.  I have plans of getting rid a bunch of the larger things that I can't throw away normally such as the broken screen door and the blue barrel that we made into a horse for an event but haven't used since.

The only hitch in my plan is my husband has been ordered by a doctor to not lift anything over 5 pounds until the middle of October.  So I'm on my own for this.  Wish me luck, I'll need it!
This is coming along nicely.  I have until tonight to get things out to the curb.  I am amazed at the crap we've been ignoring in the picnic shelter and the shed.  Just so much crap that we put out there "just for now".  Ugh, that's a terrible phrase!  I have a significant pile including the screen door, a bunch of styrofoam (that the recycling people won't take despite the recycle symbol on it, pet peeve of mine), several moldy throw rugs, a bunch of completely worn out outdoor cushions, the cardboard boxes that went with the styrofoam, some old iron scrollwork that we tore out years ago, an old table, some plastic lawn furniture that's falling apart...

So much more to go.  I'm going to be one tired puppy by the end of today!  I have to go to work for 3 hours now, and do the grocery shopping, and I have a customer coming over for a hem job tonight.  I hope I can get all the things out that I wanted to.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2609 on: September 26, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
I'm settling into my new apartment.  Did some significant letting go of things in the past two years, but I'm at maintenance level now.

Today I was browsing online for organizing and small space living ideas.   I was overwhelmed by so many clever ways to pile stuff and hide stuff and stack stuff and decorate stuff and make stuff look cute and just kept wondering why these super cooler bloggers didn't ever stop buying stuff!  Oh the excess! 

Walls of shelves built just to display purses and shoes!  Cute racks to hold scarf collections.  How many scarves can a person wear at a time?!

I am so grateful for the excess I have.  I am so privileged. I am also so glad that I don't have 20 extra boxes of toothpaste and 5 bottles of shampoo and half a dozen pairs of black riding boots because they are just too cute to resist.

I have what I need and I'm pretty happy with that.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2610 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
At a community yard sale we sold some bits and bobs and made $35. The money is just incidental, getting this crap out of my basement was the important thing.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2611 on: September 26, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
PMG, I agree, it is amazing the organizing of excess that we do.  I was pretty surprised that after I did a hard decluttering, how many fewer storage hacks I needed.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2612 on: September 27, 2015, 04:52:33 AM »
I am still organizing and getting rid of stuff...  It seems never ending. 

Yesterday, I Konmaried the last drawer in my bedroom.  I did underwear and socks before.  This drawer holds gym clothes.  I got rid of two tops there. 

I also went through my knitting yarns and managed to reduce them to 2 bins.  I used the third bin to pack away some summer clothes that are currently one size too small.  If I don't fit into them next spring, they will go.  I got rid of everything that was two sizes too small.  I prepared a couple more items for the consignment store and finished the pile for Goodwill.  I think I will bring it in today.  I still have way too many sweaters.  I hit a wall in that category, so I decided to wait until spring and then give away any I have not worn by then. 

I went through my cleaning supplies and tools.  What do I do with dusters and mops I don't use?  Can they be donated or should I just throw them out?

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2613 on: September 27, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
What do I do with dusters and mops I don't use?  Can they be donated or should I just throw them out?

Lots of non-profits would accept cleaning supply donations, especially the smaller ones. Humane societies are what stick out in my head.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2614 on: September 27, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
Humane society will also welcome old blankets, etc since they use them for dog beds.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2615 on: September 27, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
This is a small one, but I finally used the epoxy finish kit that I bought for a project like 2 years ago.  It's been annoying me every time I open the cupboard and see it there nagging me to finish the project, and now it's done. 

My eBay adventures are almost complete, so a bunch of boxes I was saving for shipping went into the recycling. 

Just did all my laundry and feel like my dresser drawers are still too full.  Might have to take another run at culling, but I wear almost everything in there, so maybe I just need to focus on attrition and blocking new stuff from coming in.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2616 on: September 27, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
The large trash cleanout went well, everything left on the curb was picked up by either the trash pickers (after the metal, there wasn't anything salvageable other than that) or the borough.  I didn't get everything I wanted up there, ran out of steam, but I did get a very large pile gone!

One amusing thing I "decluttered".  While cleaning out the shed I found a 5 foot long snake skin, probably from the black snake I saw in there a few months ago.  Well, I think snake skins are cool, so I posted a pic on facebook.  A friend said her sister would love that as a christmas present, so I asked her for shipping costs and mailed it to her!  Decluttered a snakeskin!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2617 on: September 27, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »
I'm going through cancer treatment at the moment (not posting for sympathy - just for context!) and about 2-3 months in, I got given a metric shit ton of brochures and booklets about living with a cancer diagnosis. There is soooo much. (and it was stuff that would have been helpful in the first couple of weeks, not 2 or 3 months in when I was coping much better and mostly come to terms with it) I feel like I'm drowning in the stuff so today's decluttering will be doing a major cull and donating any of the more substantial booklets/books.

One amusing thing I "decluttered".  While cleaning out the shed I found a 5 foot long snake skin, probably from the black snake I saw in there a few months ago.  Well, I think snake skins are cool, so I posted a pic on facebook.  A friend said her sister would love that as a christmas present, so I asked her for shipping costs and mailed it to her!  Decluttered a snakeskin!

Oh wow, that's so cool. (as long as the snake was not too venomous - we have some scarily deadly snakes around here)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2618 on: September 27, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
Yesterday morning I sorted out one of  the kitchen cupboards of death!!! Didn't get rid of much (some tuppaware without lids/bottoms) but it now doesn't pounce out and attack me every time I open the cupboard. I did the worst one but I will try the others today.

On another note while i have been 90% successful in maintaining order the underwear draw refuses to be tidy!!! Folding underwear is sooooo not instinctive for me!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2619 on: September 27, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »
My unmentionables drawer is the tidiest it has ever been, in my whole life.  I had 4 shoebox size clear plastic containers (bought them about 5 years ago for $1/pc at Big Lots.) and they fit perfectly.  So now I have separate places for underwear, bras, light socks and dark socks.  I felt kind of weird putting a picture of my stuff on the Internet, so I emptied the bins with underwear and bras.  I don't fold, but it still feels tidy to me.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2620 on: September 27, 2015, 08:26:05 PM »
Called the city and got a special trash visit where they took away an enormously heavy TV my son had left in my basement.  We got it out to the backyard and it has been sitting there for about a year!  Now it is gone gone!

jordanread

« Reply #2621 on: September 28, 2015, 05:18:21 AM »
I can't believe that the Marie Kondo book has gotten so popular. Interesting article over at Raptitude, and this time he talks about decluttering time and emails. Good stuff.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2622 on: September 28, 2015, 06:56:35 AM »
The large trash cleanout went well, everything left on the curb was picked up by either the trash pickers (after the metal, there wasn't anything salvageable other than that) or the borough.  I didn't get everything I wanted up there, ran out of steam, but I did get a very large pile gone!

Wow, a five foot snake skin!! So cool to pass that on.. I'm glad someone will enjoy that. Would freak me out probably ha-ha:)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2623 on: September 28, 2015, 07:32:51 AM »
This isn't the first time I've found a 5 foot long snake skin in the shed :-)  I thought at the time that the first one was from a huge garter snake I had been seeing around.  They rarely get to be 5 feet long, it was a beautiful snake!  Dark blue with yellow/green stripes down its length.

Don't worry, black snakes are common around here, and I've never heard of anyone being hurt by one.  I like having snakes in our shed, it's not vermin tight and that helps keep the mice and chipmunks to a minimum.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2624 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Brought the pile of stuff that was ready to go to Goodwill yesterday but I forgot a lamp that I set aside for donation.  It will have to wait for the next batch.  I brought the extra cleaning tools to Goodwill and they had no problem taking them.

It's harder now to find things to get rid of, but I also noticed that I have no trouble letting go of a number of things that I kept previously "just in case".  I feel like I need to revisit all the previously decluttered areas.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2625 on: September 28, 2015, 11:42:49 AM »
ATMO it's way easier to get rid of things the second time around if they're already in the maybe pile the first time. Maybe is a timid vote for getting rid of something.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2626 on: September 28, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »
This isn't the first time I've found a 5 foot long snake skin in the shed :-)  I thought at the time that the first one was from a huge garter snake I had been seeing around.  They rarely get to be 5 feet long, it was a beautiful snake!  Dark blue with yellow/green stripes down its length.

Don't worry, black snakes are common around here, and I've never heard of anyone being hurt by one.  I like having snakes in our shed, it's not vermin tight and that helps keep the mice and chipmunks to a minimum.

Cool:). Rarely see a snake where I live, but there are harmless garter snakes, also rattle snakes.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #2627 on: September 28, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Shelves in the bathroom had too many items on them, items that I did not use all the time.

I placed most of the items into an easy-to-reach, out-of-sight storage area. I then used a tray on the shelf on which to keep the things I use regularly. If it cannot fit on the tray, then it cannot come out of storage.

I didn't need to make those other items so handy. The bathroom shelves are far more organized and a pleasure to see in the morning.

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #2628 on: September 28, 2015, 09:36:25 PM »
Inspiring thread. Commenting so I can follow it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2629 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
Six more items of clothing out the door following a critical analysis of the 100 day challenge so far (43 selfies down, 57 to go).

jordanread

« Reply #2630 on: September 30, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »
So a bit of a backstory that kind of shows how happy I am that my little brother is finally going this route. My brother has a relatively large house, with a 2 car garage. I don't have a garage. Before I went car free, I was doing all of my work in the street or the driveway. He has so much junk in his garage, he can't get his car in there. While doing his brakes, he called me to complain  that it started raining, and he couldn't finish. I just laughed at him since he actually has a garage. Well, last week he mentioned that he needed to really clean it out. He's a truck driver, so spends 10-12 hours a day on the road. So I grabbed the Marie Kondo book in audio format and burnt it to CD for him. He started listening to it, and is on board so far. That is huge!!!

Also, while I went to burn the CD, I started going through the files on my computer and began a deep clean.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #2631 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Ok, so I'm usually pretty good decluttering and Getting Rid of Stuff. However, I am stuck on a pair of boots. I bought them about a year before I discovered MMM and was in a phase of trying to break free of fear of deprivation and miserliness. DH encouraged  me to splurge a little on myself, so I bought some awesome looking boots that were ... wait for it ... $300 (might even have been more). I have never spent so much on a pair of shoes! Not even my expensive runners come close. I love these boots but they hurt my feet and ankles so much. They are full-on chunky so stretching them is not an option.

I actually just recently purchased boots for over $300, for the first time. See, what happened was, I went to r/BuyItForLife and started reading about what boots would last a long, long time, because I'm sick of shoes that die in a year. From there I ended up at r/GoodyearWelt (goodyear welt being one of the, if not the, most durable methods of shoe construction) and got recommendations for manufacturers whose stuff really just frickin lasts. I'm expecting the shoes to arrive today.

The entire reason I started wearing leather boots was because I was told a good pair will last you 10 years or more. Well, clearly the $60 ones I bought last year were not a good pair. I don't just mean sole wear (those can be replaced), but a wearing upper too.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2632 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
Dog brought home fleas after staying at the neighbor's house for a week.  (UGH! 10 years and we've never had a flea!!!)

Took this as an opportunity to throw away anything I didn't want to bother to wash.  The house isn't infested yet (I haven't had a bite so far) and I do not want it to be- so EVERYTHING is being washed.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2633 on: September 30, 2015, 10:31:55 AM »
Tidied the break room at work yesterday, looking quite lovely. AND now ppl will know what we hav & stop stocking up.  there must be a million napkins & plastic wear.
Also, coworkers & I decluttered some cabinets. Several books & hair tools donated (work in beauty salon ). Lots of papers, etc recycled. Owner of salon was going to throw everything in the TRASH so I told her I'd take care of it. Omg, with all the options in the area where I live , how appalling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 10:34:41 AM by riverffashion »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2634 on: September 30, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
Still going thru my roommates stuff, another three garbage bags full out - total of 5 now! Two huge bags of recycling out . and she hasn't noticed s thing missing! (She told me to just start throwing things away. Good fun :) .loving an increasingly tidier, more serene environment .

So the other morning I went into the kitchen and it was in worst ever state ive seen it. Wish u could post the video, but my phone doesn't hav the capability. Mess of food preparing, dirty dishes, cabinets left open, garbage on floor, recycling needed emptying, dishes in dish drain, carpet iin corner as if kicked over.... When I later morning ran into her in the kitchen I said, "I love you but this is ridiculous". Mind you, she's a really peaceful, gentle person with this being her flaw. It was hard to confront her. But when I moved in and get former roommate (with a two year old) moved out, she said she was looking forward to a tidy house. Being tidy myself I was happy to hear this. So as you can imagine I became quickly appalled.
In any case, comment seems to hav had an effect, because when I came home, was spotless- kitchen & dining room. And the next day the laundry area was cleaned up, bathrooms, hallways becoming cleared, book cabinets decuttered and sorted....!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2635 on: September 30, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »
I have been rocking and rolling this week.   Settling into my new place.  Not much left to purge, though I did toss a few hair ties I don't like and have a book for the thrift shop. 

I made a platform bed with storage under it a few weeks ago.  Most of what faces out is made from cube storage shelves.   I initially bought several half shelves and storage baskets to match it, but when I unpacked the shelf units and saw all the cardboard I realized that I might as well make my own "baskets."   The cardboard is double corrugated and very heavy duty, so I doubled it up and made my own half shelves too.  I used tools and glue and fabric I already had on hand.  The fabric was given to me when a friend cleaned out her closets.  It's a pretty neutral but is cheap and not worth putting into a quilt, so it's perfect for a storage container!  I put cute little drawer pull handles on them.  So far I've made the equivalent of about $100 worth of target storage bins and baskets for free, mine might even be sturdier. 

In the process of doing this I've rearranged 3/4 of my possessions and found out I even have some empty storage space in my 290 sq feet.  Wha!?!?

These shelves hold my clothing, my sewing supplies, my books, school supplies, extra toilet paper and even some cooking supplies.

I still have a few boxes to make and I'll live with this set up for a month or so and see how it works. 

I'm pretty dang pleased.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2636 on: September 30, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
I have been rocking and rolling this week.   Settling into my new place.  Not much left to purge, though I did toss a few hair ties I don't like and have a book for the thrift shop. 

I made a platform bed with storage under it a few weeks ago.  Most of what faces out is made from cube storage shelves.   I initially bought several half shelves and storage baskets to match it, but when I unpacked the shelf units and saw all the cardboard I realized that I might as well make my own "baskets."   The cardboard is double corrugated and very heavy duty, so I doubled it up and made my own half shelves too.  I used tools and glue and fabric I already had on hand.  The fabric was given to me when a friend cleaned out her closets.  It's a pretty neutral but is cheap and not worth putting into a quilt, so it's perfect for a storage container!  I put cute little drawer pull handles on them.  So far I've made the equivalent of about $100 worth of target storage bins and baskets for free, mine might even be sturdier. 

In the process of doing this I've rearranged 3/4 of my possessions and found out I even have some empty storage space in my 290 sq feet.  Wha!?!?

These shelves hold my clothing, my sewing supplies, my books, school supplies, extra toilet paper and even some cooking supplies.

I still have a few boxes to make and I'll live with this set up for a month or so and see how it works. 

I'm pretty dang pleased.

290sq. ft. ? That sounds so lovely to me. Hate to say my areas COL is the highest in U.S. , so my cheap room in condo with two roommates is the way to go for me for now.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2637 on: September 30, 2015, 11:14:43 AM »
I've started the decluttering process, because we decided we are going to be RVing full-time next fall.

I am getting rid of my pressure cooker, crockpot, and rice cooker because Instant Pot.

As soon as I get my new and smaller, but much higher quality, block of knives, will be CLing my old knife block.

I really need to get rid of some glasses. I have no idea why we have four cabinet shelf spaces for glasses for three people.

I have some odd multiples of kitchen gadgets like two pasta forks. Got me.

I have two dresses, and pant suit, and some dress shoes I need to get rid of. I also need to clean out the coat closet. Lots of pullovers and coats in there that are just way too big now.

Hard, but I am going to have to pare down my books to the bare minimum.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2638 on: September 30, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
I've started the decluttering process, because we decided we are going to be RVing full-time next fall.

I am getting rid of my pressure cooker, crockpot, and rice cooker because Instant Pot.

As soon as I get my new and smaller, but much higher quality, block of knives, will be CLing my old knife block.

I really need to get rid of some glasses. I have no idea why we have four cabinet shelf spaces for glasses for three people.

I have some odd multiples of kitchen gadgets like two pasta forks. Got me.

I have two dresses, and pant suit, and some dress shoes I need to get rid of. I also need to clean out the coat closet. Lots of pullovers and coats in there that are just way too big now.

Hard, but I am going to have to pare down my books to the bare minimum.

Awesome! RVing sounds really fun. And a super fantastic motivation to do massive declutter. I suspect you will love the paired down look :).

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2639 on: September 30, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Took two giant bags to the Brown Elephant yesterday (all I could carry on public transit). Down to one giant bag and some odds and ends.

Well, it was all, until I took another swipe at my closet and bookshelves. Seven books and six items of clothing later, it just went back up to two bags and some odds and ends...

I'm aspiring to a Project333-esque wardrobe now. It's painful, but also wonderful.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2640 on: September 30, 2015, 12:19:02 PM »
Awesome! RVing sounds really fun. And a super fantastic motivation to do massive declutter. I suspect you will love the paired down look :).

I'm looking forward to it. I am trying to think in terms of what I need to survive and thrive. I think I'll miss my chest freezer the most. Obviously no way that thing is getting in an RV! Now that I think about it, the huge reason I have the thing in the first place is to store freezer meals, bread dough, etc because I don't have time to cook from scratch meals every night anymore like I did before I went back to work. I have to batch make them on the weekends and freeze them. When we go RVing, I don't think this will be an issue anymore. Problem solved? :p

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2641 on: September 30, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. I am trying to think in terms of what I need to survive and thrive. I think I'll miss my chest freezer the most. Obviously no way that thing is getting in an RV! Now that I think about it, the huge reason I have the thing in the first place is to store freezer meals, bread dough, etc because I don't have time to cook from scratch meals every night anymore like I did before I went back to work. I have to batch make them on the weekends and freeze them. When we go RVing, I don't think this will be an issue anymore. Problem solved? :p

I'm guessing that means you can't store anywhere for free. If you can find time to cook to eat up your stock before you go would be good (prevent waste & spend less). Did you already get rid of the crock pot and pressure cooker? Could help take the pressure off you. And obviously donate or sell all those kitchen items before you leave.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2642 on: September 30, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Decluttered and organized 3 drawers (2 misc mementos, my supplements, a couple tools. And one bathroom items), as well as 3 shoeboxes with sewing and art supplies. Everything nice and neatly organized now & several photos and papers out. Also found a claim for funds from some sort of class action lawsuit expiring 10/6/15! Wow, filed online just in time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:08:00 PM by riverffashion »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2643 on: October 02, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Another batch of stuff going to consignment today.  I also returned 3 clothing items that I bought recently but decided they didn't quite work for me after all.  I really don't need more clothes but keep on being tempted by new stuff....  Need to work on that.

I am planning to go through my hall closet and my papers over the weekend.  And I have to list my remaining 3 items on Craigslist.

Now the hardest part will be not to allow new stuff into the house ;-)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2644 on: October 02, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
I found a swivel-headed wrench on the way to work. Can I bring it home? It will be useful, and making a "find" sparks joy in me. :)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2645 on: October 02, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »
(other)Nora, I say keep it! I love picking stuff up and then if it serves no purpose it's so easy to let it go later, because you know you didn't spend anything on it so there's no weird psychological reason to justify the cost by hanging onto it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2646 on: October 02, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
Another batch of stuff going to consignment today.  I also returned 3 clothing items that I bought recently but decided they didn't quite work for me after all.  I really don't need more clothes but keep on being tempted by new stuff....  Need to work on that.

I am planning to go through my hall closet and my papers over the weekend.  And I have to list my remaining 3 items on Craigslist.

Now the hardest part will be not to allow new stuff into the house ;-)

Don't go shopping. Just don't walk into the store. Don't go to the website. can't buy it if you don't have the opportunity. :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2647 on: October 02, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
We have a kerbside pickup this week. I'm considering getting rid of:
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- assorted outdoor chairs
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2648 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Be strong anatidaev.  At one point we had 7 couches in out house.  Believe me when I say that it's much easier to gain a couch than it is to get rid of 1 (or 5).

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2649 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
We have a kerbside pickup this week. I'm considering getting rid of:
- 2 blue couches
- 2 office chairs
- a bookcase
- assorted outdoor chairs
- dining table

This will leave us with room to replace those items in ways that work for us. I've tried selling the old items but no one was interested, and they don't work for us but it is scary to get rid of so much large furniture at once!

It will be so fabulous to create a space you love!