Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850149 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2550 on: September 09, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
I had the serious urge to tidy up my husband’s dresser.

I tried to focus on Marie’s idea that if I want to tidy other people’s stuff I have messes of my own to deal with. So I decluttered even more stuff from the utility room, reorganised things to make often-used items easier to access. I tried, I really did, but in the end I couldn’t resist.

I’ve konmaried all his t-shirts, jumpers (British usage!), shorts, trousers and jeans. Suddenly, his dresser which was so crammed I refuse to put his clothes away in it has room to spare. I did not remove / throw out a single item (I wanted to! But I held firm).

He may love it, because now he can see what he has. He may hate it, and if that’s the case I will not be offended or upset if he goes back to how it was. But if he likes it, I would be happy to put his clean clothes away as it’s easy now. (I do laundry in our household, but I have never put anything of his away due to the stuffed drawers).

I do hope he likes it, but I’m also trying not be ‘invested’ in the outcome as I don’t want to be manipulative. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I hope that now he can see everything he has, he will get rid of few things he doesn’t like or wear. Watch this space…

PS Still folding all my underwear! About two months and counting.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2551 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
I am pretty minimalistic, but I still end up with things hiding in drawers, closets, etc. And I still have clothes that I've stopped wearing. New, fail proof way to purge a LOT of those things without a second thought: BEDBUGS.

My roommate found bedbugs last Friday and we have been methodically bagging and removing everything. Everything will be cleaned, steamed, and/or treated before coming back in. Without hardly blinking, I have trashed bag after bag of items that are not worth the trouble. So...yay?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2552 on: September 09, 2015, 01:06:23 PM »
Haven't read Marie Kondo's book, but kind of want to.

Anyway, I've been wanting a bigger house. But I'm cheap, and it's a lot of work, and I like my 'hood.  We have a 2BR, 1BA, 1100 sf house with no garage, attic, or basement.  But we do have an 8x10 shed.

So in the last few weeks (culminating with the 3 day weekend):

1. We bought bunk beds for the boys on our local FB used page.  It's twin on top and full on bottom with drawers underneath and along the stairs on the side.
2. We got rid of our old queen mattress (that the toddler was sleeping on), plus the old rug in the boys room (it no longer fit), plus an old bookshelf that my spouse has had since the early 90's.
3. We traded dressers with the boys because ours fit better in their room after they got the bunk beds.
4.  This meant we went through all the dresser drawers.  Bagged up 3 bags of clothing (4?)  Clothing that the boys grew out of.  Post-baby clothing that was too big.  Pre-baby clothing that is too small.  (I've been trying to lose the last 5 pounds for 10 months.  These shirts are so tight on the shoulders, I just don't think I should keep them).  We also went through two tubs of hand me downs for the boys, to replenish their stashes and set aside stuff to grow into.
5.  Moved the computer desk into our bedroom.  We should get a new one that fits better, but haven't found a good candidate (except for a used one on FB but I didn't win that one).  Current computer desk is 20 years old.
6.  This means we have extra space in the living room, yay!  Moved a few area rugs around.

All in all, the boys room especially is less cluttered.  We still need to go through toys and some more clothing.  It's so freeing.  I never realized how much stress having all those clothes that don't fit me was having on me.  Stupid.  "Maybe they will fit some day".  Who cares!!

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2553 on: September 09, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
Mm1970,  I have been Kondo-ing to prevent buying a bigger house. The cost of the book is definitely worth it to avoid that enormous expense.  My boys (3 &5) will be sharing a room indefinitely but I'm ok with that as it means I can be a sahm. The plan was originally to buy a bigger house and me go back to work to help pay for it. But I like this declutter/stay put/not going back to work plan much better!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2554 on: September 10, 2015, 03:12:22 AM »
mm1970 definitely get the Kondo book - small investment compared to a bigger house! And congrats on everything you've done so far.

MandyM so sorry to hear about the bedbugs. What a pain. Hope you get it all sorted.

DH LOVED the kondo'd drawers! Phew. He also 'rediscovered' two lovely jumpers he'd forgotten about, and got rid of 5 things, because once everything was clear to see it was easy to spot things he didn't like / wear. Fantastic!

I got rid of some shoes which were ugly but I thought they'd be comfortable. Turns out they were neither. I count stuff as soon as it goes in the donate bag / box so I have a car full to drop off this weekend! It's amazing to have it out of the house, it will feel great to get it out of the car as well.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2555 on: September 10, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
Attacked the dreaded under the bed space. Consolidated two memory boxes into one (was able to dispose of a number of items) and gave everything a general tidy up and reorganisation. Under the bed is my hardest section as many of the items are small and sentimental so it's the slowest one to tackle. Still going with it, but making solid progress.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2556 on: September 10, 2015, 05:21:15 AM »
Today I threw away three tea towels that were falling to bits.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2557 on: September 10, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
Selling all our 220v appliances today in anticipation of the move, as well as some storage stuff.  I'm nearly giving a lot of it away, just to have it gone, and I'll still have made $220 if the rest of the people show up as promised.  Not too shabby!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2558 on: September 10, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
MandyM so sorry to hear about the bedbugs. What a pain. Hope you get it all sorted.

Thanks. It really is a pain to deal with, but I am trying to look on the bright side. We have gotten rid of so much stuff. And selfishly, I'm happy that my roommate is uber paranoid - she has cleared out a lot of things that she has been unwilling to in the past.

Also, I'm glad I'm on MMM. The financial aspect of this whole thing isn't hardly a second thought. $100+ for mattress covers: bought. Vacuum to use and toss at the end: bought. Steamer: bought.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2559 on: September 10, 2015, 01:55:19 PM »
2 big boxes of stuff out of here yesterday. I'm finally getting back in the groove after being set back by 2 injuries (and accompanying surgeries) in 8 months.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2560 on: September 10, 2015, 03:38:17 PM »
Tended to a lower kitchen cupboard that has been a toss an item in quickly and shut the door to avoid things spilling onto the floor:

Relocated a use once-a-year toaster.  I really should rid of it completely....
Tossed two items
Two items went into DH's garage
Approximately 8 items soaked, cleaned, dried, and put into the donate pile.  We accumulated numerous water bottles from our various volunteer activities over the years.
Cleaned and dried the beautiful crystal vase and put it back into the cupboard.  It is only one of two I kept from a purge earlier this year.
Took out the shelf liner and wiped down both shelves.  Waited for them to dry, put the shelf liner back, and neatly placed remaining items back into the cupboard.  Ahhhh... Sweet relief!

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2561 on: September 10, 2015, 09:11:53 PM »
I haven't had much success lately. I did sell my daughter's pack & play for $40. I listed a bunch more baby stuff on a local facebook buy/sell page, but no bites yet, just one lowball attempt. Then tonight I was looking on eBay and found out that the same things are selling there for more than I've been asking, so I'm in the process of listing it there instead.

theadvicist, I am exactly where you were wrt husband's clothes. He has SO MUCH, and I refuse to put away his laundry because it's such a mess. But he rarely puts it away, either, so there's always at least 1, usually 2 or more, piles of clean folded clothes sitting around the bedroom. I might konmari his drawers and see if it makes a difference. In the past I've straightened up and folded his stuff, but he would just dig through the stacks and make a mess, which bothered me, because it seemed like an insult to my work. So I think I'll take your approach and just do it once and see if it sticks.

My kitchen stuff needs to be the next category to konmari. I have a teeny-tiny kitchen and a zillion things that I never use. We have a crock-pot that got used once and then stopped working. A cupcake display thing that was used once, at our wedding 4 years ago, and has been sitting in the box ever since. An ice cream maker that was a wedding present, and I don't want it because I'm no longer friends with the person who gave it, so, y'know, negative associations. Et cetera. I'd love to toss our mismatched dishes and silverware and get a nice basic matching set, but that costs money, so I've been putting it off. I've done little bits with the kitchen, but I really need to set aside an afternoon and just do the whole thing in one go.

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2562 on: September 13, 2015, 09:57:41 AM »
Sometimes, downsizing means buying something new that does the job of multiple other items.

Latest: several backpacks & sling bags - a runner's day/hydration pack, an alpine sling bag, and a camera bag - downsized in favour of this sling pack.

So, all these:

To this:

It doubles as a bug-out-bag, and archery accessory sling, with some first aid gear, hydration pack etc.

Three bags now down to one and it's adaptable for other tasks. (MOLLE webbing allows expansion too)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:49:59 AM by cjottawa »

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2563 on: September 13, 2015, 11:03:29 AM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing
Good for you. It sounds like you are freeing a lot of blocked energy!

I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes!!  Life is a lot smoother and cleaner this way.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2564 on: September 13, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing
Good for you. It sounds like you are freeing a lot of blocked energy!

I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes!!  Life is a lot smoother and cleaner this way.

Now that's real deal decluttering! Always an excellent time to get rid of things.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2565 on: September 13, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »
Cleaned out two dressers and have two more trash bags for Goodwill. This makes about 15 bags this year! :)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2566 on: September 14, 2015, 03:25:38 AM »
Dropped all the bags off at the charity shop (didn't peek!) and it felt good. I don't know how stuff I don't want is still coming out of the woodwork but it is.

Some of my good work in the utility has been undone - I was so pleased at how empty the shelves were after my decluttering - until a friend brought round a big cool box we had left at theirs. Whoops. Still, the shelves are much less full than they were 10 days ago - even with the cool box back in place.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2567 on: September 14, 2015, 04:31:30 AM »
I got a gift this weekend and it came in a pretty box that I would have kept in the past but it went straight into the recycling bin.:)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2568 on: September 14, 2015, 05:44:07 AM »
Husband took two bags to goodwill, then sorted out five shirts that should go as well (there is a major clean out pending for his clothes ...). Home is at a state of calm at the moment. All clean, put away, and relaxed

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2569 on: September 14, 2015, 05:55:12 AM »
I got a gift this weekend and it came in a pretty box that I would have kept in the past but it went straight into the recycling bin.:)
Well done! So tempting to keep the pretty boxes!

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2570 on: September 14, 2015, 06:01:41 AM »
Well done! So tempting to keep the pretty boxes!

Haha, thanks.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2571 on: September 14, 2015, 12:27:07 PM »
Tossed an old broom handle and a rusty handsaw left behind by my former roommate. Donated a linen dress and a free drawstring backpack I got for walking a 5K.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2572 on: September 14, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
Sometimes, downsizing means buying something new that does the job of multiple other items.

It doubles as a bug-out-bag, and archery accessory sling, with some first aid gear, hydration pack etc.

Three bags now down to one and it's adaptable for other tasks. (MOLLE webbing allows expansion too)

Ha! I did almost the same thing.  I sold most of the old bags although I'm having a hard time with the one that has my initials monogrammed on it.  Think school age bookbag.  :)

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2573 on: September 15, 2015, 05:52:54 AM »

Ha! I did almost the same thing.  I sold most of the old bags although I'm having a hard time with the one that has my initials monogrammed on it.  Think school age bookbag.  :)

I still have the monogrammed backpack that I got as a high school freshman! I still use it several times a year, so it gets to stay. Sadly, the zippers are getting a bit wonky...it might be on its last years.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #2574 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
Spent the weekend at my parents, and did oh so much on Saturday. I hurt now, but it's worth it. End results:

-30 yr old nonworking fridge out of the garage and into the trash
-gigantic window a/c that came from somewhere and ended up in the attic in the trash
-Bunch of trash from the garage is now in the trash.
-The 20+ containers of various fluids are sorted out. The ones to keep are neat in milk crates, ready to be put on the new shelving once I go back and fix up the garage. There's a giant pile of all sorts of stuff to go to hazardous waste pickup or habitat for humanity
-2 bags of top soil are spread out where they were intended to go, last year.
-1 bag of cobblestones are spread out where they were intended to go, 10 years ago.
-one car load (trunk and backseat), packed tetris-style, taken to Salvation Army.

It was too hot in the attic to work, so the stuff up there can stay until it cools off some.
Two bags kids clothes, fish tank and box of books all out this weekend. Yay!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2575 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:24 AM »
I wonder if thrift stores are noticing receiving more stuff these days with the popularity of the Marie Kondo tidying up book?  Next time I drop by, if I remember to, I will ask someone.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2576 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
I wonder if thrift stores are noticing receiving more stuff these days with the popularity of the Marie Kondo tidying up book?  Next time I drop by, if I remember to, I will ask someone.
  In my Puget Sound town, I've noticed a huge increase in donations to our thrift store. Every time I go there to drop things off, the donation room is full to bursting. And I go in there pretty often. ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2577 on: September 15, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
I notice a spring/fall increase, as people start getting ready for summer/winter.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2578 on: September 16, 2015, 02:26:55 AM »
I've just emptied the bins and the recycling was taken out.

I need to de-flea my pets today so that stuff will be thrown out afterwards

Im going to look through the fridge and cupboards and check that there is nothing out of date.

I'm making a pasta bake with leftover veggies.

I thought the same thing.:)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2579 on: September 16, 2015, 11:47:33 AM »
I just took all the pieces to hang at my art show yesterday, after that chaos of working & preparing for months, I need a good tidying again. (Rent a rent, so bedroom and art studio in one! It's a good things my belongings are minimal- ha-ha). Already have a bag to donate and haven't even started.
Also my roommate is way messy, throws her stuff around all over the place ( including the middle of the stairs! ). Anyway, I told her I'd help her ( she's told me she needs help, has a hard time letting go of things ). She said in the past she told a friend to just start tossing things, so I said I can do that! So I tidyied up the back porch a bit, only spendy maybe 15 minutes (!) But already have a huge bin of paperwork to recycle and a huge bag to donate. Excellent progress. I foresee a massive declutteer. Excited to soon hav a clear home environment :)

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #2580 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Hubby and I installed a DIY epoxy floor in the garage this past weekend, which meant everything - EVERYTHING - had to be moved outside.  Needless to say, it was a great opportunity to declutter and get rid of those 'keep it just in case' items and the duplicates of tools.  Took too-small kids bikes to the bike recycle shop, extra tools were sold on Kijiji and I finally installed the two bags of insulation left over from renovations in the garage ceiling. Most of our garden tools and big but rarely used construction tools are stored under the new deck we built this year.   We'd previously sold one of our two cars, so now there's only one car, a shelving unit and two bikes in the garage.  Looks awesome!

My husband was tempted by some shiny pre-fab garage storage systems, but he's agreed that a simpler system is just as good.  Why pay $12 for a specialized broom hanger that needs a proprietary rail system when you can just drill a hole in the broom handle and hang it on a nail?

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2581 on: September 18, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »
I'm making up a food parcel to donate to a local food bank in the next couple of weeks.

I am buying a new candle decoration so I will look for something old to donate in it's place.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2582 on: September 18, 2015, 02:26:40 AM »
DH walked out of the door last night with a pair of shoes and said, "throwing these out, add it to your list" Yay! More proof that tidying your own stuff does rub off on people, I had not mentioned or hinted about the worn-out shoes at all (in fat I hadn't even noticed them).

RunningWithScissors we also had to empty the garage a few weeks ago, and weeded things out as we went. When we put it all back in, we were looking for a pile that we had missed, because, where was everything?! So glad to have got rid of some of the bulkier stuff because now it's easier to get my bike out. I've just realised I forgot to mark anything off my list though :( Oh well, if I'm at 1500 and that includes nothing from the garage clear up, it only shows I  have a way to go. I wonder if I can make it to 2015 by year end, it's definitely getting harder!

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2583 on: September 18, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »
Ok, so I'm usually pretty good decluttering and Getting Rid of Stuff. However, I am stuck on a pair of boots. I bought them about a year before I discovered MMM and was in a phase of trying to break free of fear of deprivation and miserliness. DH encouraged  me to splurge a little on myself, so I bought some awesome looking boots that were ... wait for it ... $300 (might even have been more). I have never spent so much on a pair of shoes! Not even my expensive runners come close. I love these boots but they hurt my feet and ankles so much. They are full-on chunky so stretching them is not an option.

So I decided to get rid of them about 3 or 4 months ago (I got DH to ask me if I love and want to keep them and my spontaneous answer was no). They've been sitting in the lounge room near the front door ever since. I could potentially sell them for $20 but I don't have the energy cos I'm going through some full-on medical treatments for the next 6 months or so.

Help me get rid of them please... Should I just donate them to charity? They are very unusual boots, not at all mainstream.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2584 on: September 18, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
Ok, so I'm usually pretty good decluttering and Getting Rid of Stuff. However, I am stuck on a pair of boots. I bought them about a year before I discovered MMM and was in a phase of trying to break free of fear of deprivation and miserliness. DH encouraged  me to splurge a little on myself, so I bought some awesome looking boots that were ... wait for it ... $300 (might even have been more). I have never spent so much on a pair of shoes! Not even my expensive runners come close. I love these boots but they hurt my feet and ankles so much. They are full-on chunky so stretching them is not an option.

So I decided to get rid of them about 3 or 4 months ago (I got DH to ask me if I love and want to keep them and my spontaneous answer was no). They've been sitting in the lounge room near the front door ever since. I could potentially sell them for $20 but I don't have the energy cos I'm going through some full-on medical treatments for the next 6 months or so.

Help me get rid of them please... Should I just donate them to charity? They are very unusual boots, not at all mainstream.

Donate. It hurts, but the money is gone. Seeing them will just remind you that you feel you misspent it.

I used to work in a charity shop, and non-mainstream stuff went the fastest, and for good money for the charity. People can walk into any high street store to buy mainstream stuff. They often sought us out for the fact we had more 'out there' stock.

Also, sorry to hear about your medical treatments - I wish you all the best.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2585 on: September 18, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »

Do you have a consignment store near you?  I've had great luck with consignment for clothes and shoes.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2586 on: September 18, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »

No advice, but can you post a picture or link? I'm really curious what the unusual boots look like. I bet they're awesome.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2587 on: September 19, 2015, 03:31:33 AM »
I just gave a tin of soup to a family member ( I bought it accidentally as I didn't realise it had milk in it and I don't have dairy) and I threw away a costume necklace that I never wear.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2588 on: September 19, 2015, 06:00:57 AM »

Donate. It hurts, but the money is gone. Seeing them will just remind you that you feel you misspent it.

I used to work in a charity shop, and non-mainstream stuff went the fastest, and for good money for the charity. People can walk into any high street store to buy mainstream stuff. They often sought us out for the fact we had more 'out there' stock.

Also, sorry to hear about your medical treatments - I wish you all the best.

Thank you so much. They will go to a charity shop this week. That was the kick up the arse I needed.

Do you have a consignment store near you?  I've had great luck with consignment for clothes and shoes.

I'm reasonably sure they don't exist in my city. Just did a quick google to check and there's nothing obvious (or maybe consignment stores are called something else in Australia?) There is minimal market for second hand clothes here (except vintage stuff that appeals to hipsters). The charity shops are drowning in excessive amounts of clothes, and the recycle shed at the rubbish tip gives all its secondhand clothes away for free (they charge a small amount for shoes though).

No advice, but can you post a picture or link? I'm really curious what the unusual boots look like. I bet they're awesome.

I have no mental energy for that, sorry.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2589 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
I went thru my stack of illustrations, collages, and magazine clippings & recycled about half.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2590 on: September 19, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
I'm going to be back home tomorrow after almost four months in Canada. I have five days before I leave again...since I've been living with a suitcase and two backpacks' worth of stuff all summer, I'm curious how much i will be able to get rid of this week!

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2591 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
Last weekend was Recycle Rendezvous in our town. You could put stuff out on your lawn for others to take for free. Got rid of tons of stuff. Couldn't believe the stuff that went. Cassette tapes? Who uses them any more? The stuff that was left has been sitting in the garage. Called a charity yesterday and they will be coming to pick it up. Feels good to get rid of so much stuff all in one fell swoop. Already looking forward to next year.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2592 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
More crap out... some extras that came with an electrical device I bought binned, recycling taken out and used up toiletries binned.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2593 on: September 20, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
My roommate asked me to help her declutter- to just throw things out, which I thought amazing. Anyway, I've donated two trash bags so far & two trash bags also in the recycling. She hasn't noticed a thing yet! So as I feel like it, I'll keep going . might add that I cannot believe some of the things she's left outside on the patio- what seems to me like important documents, etc. I am happy to help & happier to be working toward a tidy home environment.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2594 on: September 21, 2015, 04:08:39 AM »
Went through the stach of papers last night. Old bils from my former house? Yes, I had saved those. And lugged them to my new home.  *facepalm*
Now, at least, they are gone.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2595 on: September 21, 2015, 04:52:29 AM »

Thank you so much. They will go to a charity shop this week. That was the kick up the arse I needed.

You're welcome, I've had a few gentle arse kickings on this thread, and it really helps!

In the UK we call a consignment store a 'Dress Agency', dunno if it might be the same down under.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2596 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »
I sold a humidifier on Craigslist over the weekend.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the buyer thought they were buying a dehumidifier because they mentioned something about a basement?  Their English was not that good.  Oh well, my listing description was correct and I had clear pictures of it in the listing.

Now I am down to just 2 or 3 items that I would like to sell.  I'll list them one more time and if they don't go, I will donate them.  I also prepared another batch of clothing for the consignment store.  I will bring them in later this week.  And my pile of stuff for Goodwill is steadily growing.  Should be ready to be dropped off next weekend.  Where is all this stuff coming from????

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2597 on: September 22, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »
I decided to bring the new batch of clothing to consignment today since it was ready to go and taking up room in my coat closet.  While there, I tried on a couple of pairs of pants but ended up not buying anything, and I collected a check for $83 for items that sold over the last couple of weeks. 

I also went through the drawer in the bathroom holding my hair dryer, brushes and hair products, and realized that I have 4 different products for curly hair, in addition to products I actually use.  I used to have curly hair but it stopped curling when my hormones started changing due to perimenopause about 4 years ago... Out they go!  The more I look through various drawers and closets, the more I find to get rid of.  I really should do a Marie Kondo style purge :-)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:23:25 PM by ZiziPB »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2598 on: September 22, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
This sad thread about hoarding making firefighting harder inspired me to go home and work on my mini-hoard:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/hoarding-making-firefighting-harder/

A pair of sandals, a fleece jacket, some old work shirts, and a travel pillow have been added to my donation pile.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2599 on: September 23, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »
A couple of old dog toys thrown away today.

The more I look through various drawers and closets, the more I find to get rid of.  I really should do a Marie Kondo style purge :-)

You should! :)