Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850133 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2450 on: August 22, 2015, 02:55:44 PM »
Got rid of the glider our realtor gave us.
It's been in the garage since we put it away last winter.
Just not our style.

Goal is to get rid of at least 20 things this weekends, so 19 to go.
I imagine the rest will be much smaller!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2451 on: August 22, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
*Got rid of a stack of old printed off recipes from the internet (from the 90's!)

*Put away homeschool books not being used this year and gave away ones that we have outgrown and won't use again

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2452 on: August 22, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »
I pulled out 71 books (from our collection of 2500 or so). I love books. But there were quite a few that no longer spoke to me. Also had a lot of books I *ought* to read--I gave myself permission not to read them, ever (unless I want to). I'll take most to the Recycle book store. Anything they don't take gets donated to the library sale.

Plus a 20-volume encyclopedia of gardening that was foisted on me at a yard sale. It's actually worth something. Trying to work up the nerve to sell on eBay for the first time ever.

Posting this to hold myself accountable for actually getting the books out of the house. :)

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2453 on: August 23, 2015, 03:02:59 AM »
A change in personal circumstances is giving me motivation to have another clean out of the stuff that I 'store'
This time hopefully with an even more practical approach to what I will actually use in the future or not!
Now to try and find some time to tackle this. (Part of the stuff is stored in a room that we have a guest in intermittently at present. Its week on / week off, so I have to work round this, or dump everything in the lounge) Wish me luck

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2454 on: August 23, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
Husband did a major garage cleaning!  YAY!

We sold his mountain bike. He said "just see if someone on freecycle will take it"- I told him, I'm going to list it on my buy & sell for $50 and see what happens. Him: No one is going to pay $50 for a bike on the internet.  Within 3 minutes I had an offer for $40 and within an hour it was gone.

The sad part: the bench we gave away to a neighbor is sitting in the driveway, he is picking it up tonight.  The woman who picked up the bike asked us if it was for sale. I told husband we should try selling that, and he didn't think it was worth selling.

Oh well, we've benefited from neighborhood kindness, so giving some things away is probably good.

But the trashcan overflowth!

eeho

• Stubble
    • Check out my MMM journal - Stubblefaced-aussie-girl-with-a-five-year-deadline-for-fire!
« Reply #2455 on: August 23, 2015, 08:33:24 PM »
I joined a local trading group on Facebook and traded an old foam mattress, a laptop case on wheels that I've never used and a dress that was given to me by a friend that has never fit. In return I now have about 8 blocks of delicious chocolate!

I brought two blocks as my contribution to supper at my choir rehearsal and one block into work as my contribution to the snack jar; saving me money that I would have spent finding something to bring in.

I think I may be getting addicted to trading, soon I'll have no furniture, but I will have a s**tload of chocolate!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2456 on: August 23, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
I joined a local trading group on Facebook and traded an old foam mattress, a laptop case on wheels that I've never used and a dress that was given to me by a friend that has never fit. In return I now have about 8 blocks of delicious chocolate!

I brought two blocks as my contribution to supper at my choir rehearsal and one block into work as my contribution to the snack jar; saving me money that I would have spent finding something to bring in.

I think I may be getting addicted to trading, soon I'll have no furniture, but I will have a s**tload of chocolate!

Sounds like a great tradeoff to me! And perfect for your contributions.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2457 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
Several more books out.
BTW, has anyone else noticed how wildly popular this thread is? There are pages and pages and pages of posts! I'd say this gauntlet has been a success.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2458 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:49 AM »
BTW, has anyone else noticed how wildly popular this thread is? There are pages and pages and pages of posts! I'd say this gauntlet has been a success.

Haha, yes, and I'm rather proud of starting this thread. :p :D

I haven't been active in these parts lately, as I did get rid of quite a lot of stuff when I moved interstate last year, but I'm looking around now and there are definitely still things that I can clear out, so I might try to get back into this!

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2459 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:51 AM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.
Oh, I can. I live in a small space and keep my gift-wrapping supplies, winter clothes, future gifts and so on in boxes. Another holds my tools (hammer and screwdrivers can live on your bookshelf if you just put them in a pretty box). I'd say my single most usefull tip for small-space living is this: put all items relating to task/hobby A into a box you can easily lift down when needed and replace on it's shelf in a jiffy. My whole "office" is a box. Same with my "hobby room".

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2460 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »

Haha, yes, and I'm rather proud of starting this thread. :p :D

I haven't been active in these parts lately, as I did get rid of quite a lot of stuff when I moved interstate last year, but I'm looking around now and there are definitely still things that I can clear out, so I might try to get back into this!
Limeandpepper, my goal is to 'graduate' from this thread and never need it again! If you haven't needed to come here, you're doing well :)

A handbag and a filofax sold on Ebay over the weekend. The handbag was a nice brand, and I thought it would sell well. Went for £5. The Filofax I wasn't even going to list, because, errrrr, who still uses a filofax? Went for £40!!! I just can't predict what will sell.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2461 on: August 24, 2015, 05:15:51 AM »
I've just collected another bag of clothes to donate. I was keeping some nightwear that I really won't use so it can be used for recycling.

I just went through the fridge and had to get rid of a bit of houmous and I froze some leftover olives. Hopefully they can go into a pasta dish or something.:P

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2462 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Spent the weekend at my parents, and did oh so much on Saturday. I hurt now, but it's worth it. End results:

-30 yr old nonworking fridge out of the garage and into the trash
-gigantic window a/c that came from somewhere and ended up in the attic in the trash
-Bunch of trash from the garage is now in the trash.
-The 20+ containers of various fluids are sorted out. The ones to keep are neat in milk crates, ready to be put on the new shelving once I go back and fix up the garage. There's a giant pile of all sorts of stuff to go to hazardous waste pickup or habitat for humanity
-2 bags of top soil are spread out where they were intended to go, last year.
-1 bag of cobblestones are spread out where they were intended to go, 10 years ago.
-one car load (trunk and backseat), packed tetris-style, taken to Salvation Army.

It was too hot in the attic to work, so the stuff up there can stay until it cools off some.

jordanread

« Reply #2463 on: August 24, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »
-one car load (trunk and backseat), packed tetris-style, taken to Salvation Army.

Is there another way to pack?

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2464 on: August 24, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Awesome thread!  I'm  in.  :D

This weekend I sifted through 2 dresser drawers because they were so stuffed attempting to find something specific was becoming rather frustrating.  I am going to donate numerous items, tossed several more, and put several old, clean socks into the rag pile.  I halfheartedly skimmed through two more drawers.  They'll have to wait.

I'm going to start a used DVD/VHS drive for our local VA home via Facebook.  We have hundreds of movies.  Now, to get DH on board....

From the pantry I finished the last of the almond flour, and from the freezer 3 overripe bananas.  The former went into breakfast pizzas, and the latter into banana bread.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2465 on: August 24, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »

Yeah, if you're not short of space you just stack stuff right way up, leaving empty space between things that aren't perfect squares. I took 'Tetris-style' to mean things in upside down, stuff rotated to make sure every gap is filled. Ie, the car was totally packed full of stuff, as opposed to a 'full' car load, which, with stuff just right way up, would contain a lot of empty space or air.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #2466 on: August 24, 2015, 02:44:33 PM »
I started the process of kondo'ing my stuff in the apartment this weekend, and got through clothes, books and papers before the puppy woke up. All attention has to go to him when he's up and on the carpet though, so I've got misc. stuff and mementos/photos to go!

This weekend I got rid of:
* 1 shirt (now 13 including work out clothes)
* 1 pair of pants/shorts (now 7 including work-out clothes)
* 2 "hanging items" (now 13)
* 16 socks/stockings (now 7)
* 0 bags (now 2)
* 3 accessories (scarves) (now 8)
* 1 bathing suit and 1 set of pajamas (now 1 set of each)
* 2 shoes (now 6)

This includes clothes and shoes, etc. for all seasons, so now my whole wardrobe fits in less than half my studio apartment closet, and I don't need any "off season storage".

* 2 books (now have 4)
* Like SO many papers omigosh I don't even guys.

I'm so happy, now that I've gone through my stuff, that I remembered which outfits I love and started wearing them more, and which books I love, and made a point to display and start reading them again!

I am dreading the next category... I have so much miscellaneous stuff spread out in disparate places. Next time I get a couple hours to myself, I'm going to tackle electrical equipment (game systems, cameras, etc), household equipment (sewing stuff), and household supplies (TP, paper towels, my 17+ bottles of different cleaning solutions I somehow have). Board games could be its own category...

jordanread

« Reply #2467 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »

Yeah, if you're not short of space you just stack stuff right way up, leaving empty space between things that aren't perfect squares. I took 'Tetris-style' to mean things in upside down, stuff rotated to make sure every gap is filled. Ie, the car was totally packed full of stuff, as opposed to a 'full' car load, which, with stuff just right way up, would contain a lot of empty space or air.

Ah, I've read about this "not short of space" thing. :) Makes sense though. I never actually thought of packing any other method. Thanks for the clarification. Oh, fun fact: I just recently learned that you aren't supposed to do that with refrigerators.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2468 on: August 24, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »

You are correct. The sad thing is that they have enough to fill a small moving truck, minimum that will have to be gotten rid of eventually. That's what 20 years in one place will do to you, even if you're not a hoarder.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2469 on: August 25, 2015, 02:28:28 AM »

Ah, I've read about this "not short of space" thing. :) Makes sense though. I never actually thought of packing any other method. Thanks for the clarification. Oh, fun fact: I just recently learned that you aren't supposed to do that with refrigerators.

You're welcome :) I didn't know that about refrigerators - is it because you need air flow around items? I've always thought freezers were more efficient when they were full, and obviously transplanted that information and assumed it applied to 'fridges as well.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2470 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:54 AM »
I really like the decluttering process. I have been doing it for the last two years or so. I really shows in my waredrobe. I have given away jackets and some pants that did not fit. T-shirts I kept because I used them for training and so in. But now they start to fall apart and are being replaced as well. I will only have T-shirts in White and navy blue.

The garage is the only Place where I don't declutter as aggressive. I have alot of thing from the former owners as Nails, screws and so on. I am keeping the best stuff because it gets used on a regular basis.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2471 on: August 25, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »

You're welcome :) I didn't know that about refrigerators - is it because you need air flow around items? I've always thought freezers were more efficient when they were full, and obviously transplanted that information and assumed it applied to 'fridges as well.

Freezers are more efficient when full.  Fridges, as you said, need airflow.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2472 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:09 AM »
I love reading everyone's decluttering, it always keeps me inspired and pushing forward.  Did anyone declutter collectibles such as Lenox porcelain dolls and dept 56 Christmas houses?  I have a boatload and really don't want to go the ebay or craiglist route.  I have called a couple of consignment shops but they didn't seem interested and the ones that were, were not paying upfront.  I would rather get paid upfront and have that be the end.  No one seems to want this type of stuff anymore.  Any ideas anyone can share?

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2473 on: August 25, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
I culled out another round of books, clothes and various items around the house and took them to goodwill or gave to any family member that was interested.  Slowly but surely, I am getting through some stuff. Although, sometimes I have half a mind to just donate it all.  I have been decluttering for about 9 years now and just getting tired of it all. I am not a hoarder but, boy, was I a shopper. 

cjottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #2474 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »
A phrase has been on repeat in my head for a while:

If you wouldn't buy it today, get rid of it.

I just listed a bunch of stuff on Kijiji that I haven't used in years.

Traditional archery gear. I wouldn't use this particular gear if I had the choice; I may consider different gear. (Asiatic longbow, crossbow)
Paintball gear - half sold so far. Friends have enough to outfit a team.
Camping gear.SOLD! I like air-conditioning, WiFi, and not being bitten by bugs. Plus, friends have gear I can use since I'll probably camp with them, not solo. If solo, I'd need a much smaller tent anyway.
Sofa bed. (guests can use an air-mattress, for the few of them I ever have)

I have no "knick knacks" in my home so there's not a heck of a lot to actually downsize.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:49:16 AM by cjottawa »

jordanread

« Reply #2475 on: August 25, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »

As Iowajes mentioned, Freezers are more efficient when full. There are people around here (and other places) that throw in gallon jugs of water to ensure that the efficiency is met. Also, freezers that open from the top are more efficient than stand up units. I had an energy audit done, and borrowed the IR goggles to see what happened when I opened the freezer. All the cold air just fell out. What I was referring to was transporting fridges. I just got a new one (a bit ago) and wanted to lay it down. The freon or refrigerant doesn't do well laying down, at least as fridges are designed.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2476 on: August 25, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
Purged a bookcase and got rid over over 1/2 of the books to donate to the local library.  Also have about 1 bag of clothes to donate.   

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2477 on: August 25, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Oh I forgot to add, I'm very proud to say, I said no thank you to my neighbor who was also clearing out clutter.  They were getting rid of a desk, chair, shoe rack, and multiple plastic containers.

Great stuff, but I would have had to clean out more to fit it. Also to be honest I really couldn't use it.  However we did find a neighbor who could, so score all around.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2478 on: August 25, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Sold my Dave Ramsey money makeover stuff for $40. Got a lot of good out of it, and now a new family can too.

Threw away a shoddily constructed, dusty garment bag that has hung on way too long in our basement. Neither of us has used a garment bag in years. Why, O why do I hang on to this crap? It was so good to see it go away!

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2479 on: August 26, 2015, 02:40:40 AM »
I made some more progress on clothes. I don't have much to begin with, so I still agonize over some things that MAY be useful later. I still managed to fill a garbage bag for donating pretty full today and started a new one. I dumped all the clothes I could find on my bed and started going through them. Some stuff I hung up in my closet to keep, but after seeing it several times as I hung other things up helped me to  realize that I didn't want some things after all.

Slow, but making progress.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2480 on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:21 AM »
Another batch of clothing is in my car and will be brought to the consignment store at lunch today.  I also have a few items to return - I was tempted by a pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack enough to buy them but when I got home and pulled out all of the other fall/winter shoes I already own, I think I need to return them ;-)  Unless I get rid of some of the older pairs that are starting to wear out....

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2481 on: August 26, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
I "Konmaried" the heck out of my book collection this weekend. I overfilled a huge box with books to donate; I'm going to have to move them into multiple smaller boxes because it's too heavy to lift!

The only issue I ran into is what to do with long book series --do I keep only the books that I particularly liked, or do I keep the whole set? I wound up keeping the more serialized sets (e.g. Dresden Files), and cherry-picking from the ones that are more standalone or broken into sub-series (Discworld, Xanth).

I was also surprised by some of the books that *weren't* there, including the original paperbacks from one of my first fantasy series, with the original artwork. Not sure where those went, but I'm bummed that they're gone :(

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2482 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:32 AM »
Just discovered that my local public library no longer takes donations of books.

Its a cost saving measure, apparently.

Yeah, me too.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2483 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
I thought the whole point was to re-sell those books for a profit? I guess maybe book fairs aren't doing so well lately?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2484 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
Our library stopped taking donations.

They got so much junk that it cost them more in employee time in sorting it, and then they had to deal with the disposal, which isn't free.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2485 on: August 26, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Another batch of clothing is in my car and will be brought to the consignment store at lunch today.  I also have a few items to return - I was tempted by a pair of shoes at Nordstrom Rack enough to buy them but when I got home and pulled out all of the other fall/winter shoes I already own, I think I need to return them ;-)  Unless I get rid of some of the older pairs that are starting to wear out....

The consignment store took all of my pieces but one.  And I got a check for $130 for items sold previously :-)  I also have a batch of winter stuff that I can bring in after October 1. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2486 on: August 27, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »
We have a village fete every year and have decided to stop doing a book stall. We were selling books at 5 for £1, because it was the only way to get rid of them, and last year, at a well attended fete, we made £19 on that stall (the raffle took around £900, for comparison). It takes a lot of effort to lug all the books around, set them up on tables, store donations all year etc, it just wasn't worth it. Used books are readily available and very cheap already. I think the market is saturated.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2487 on: August 28, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing (and have been getting rid of stuff for months), have another big box or so for the thrift shop, and have been Freecycling random things out of the donation box.  All my books are in one bookshelf now and I've already started reading down the unread ones.  By the end of tomorrow, my empty packing boxes and the donation box will all be out of my apartment.

When I put my closet back together I turned all my hangars.  Whatever isn't turned again by Christmas gets a new lease in someone else's closet.  Hello, August.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2488 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:57 PM »
Finished two shelves in my kitchen today. Asked the hard questions as to why I was keeping a couple of platters that I don't use only because they were wedding presents. They are now in the pile to donate. Have got DH somewhat on board. There is a small area of his stuff to tackle at some stage, he is getting much better at being ruthless. Got a bit more planned for tomorrow so hopefully I can report more progress then.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2489 on: August 30, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »
I got rid of an unwanted chair yesterday, the person came and collected it from the house too.:)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2490 on: August 30, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »
Alleycat: I was in the same spot with some expensive porcelain dolls, & other collectibles I no longer wanted & really don't bring a lot of $ on ebay. I gave them away to people that were doing silent auction fundraisers for other people to raise $ for medical bills. My items went well at the auctions & I felt good that I had helped someone.   

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2491 on: August 30, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
Got rid of 15 cans of paint that came "free" with our last house. (previous owners couldn't be bothered to pick up their trash!)  I cannot believe we still had those sitting around the garage.

Also got rid of a bit of clutter in the basement.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2492 on: August 30, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
Got rid of a set of sheets/duvet cover.  I realized that the duvet cover doesn't really fit my duvet well so it's going.  I was actually planning to get rid of another set that I haven't used in a while but I put it on yesterday and it is actually very nice.  Much better than the "too small" one.  Also gave my DD's swim backpack to my DD's boyfriend (he's a swim coach so he'll either use it himself or give to some kid on his team).

Just a few items left in the basement and they are not selling on craigslist so I may just donate them instead.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2493 on: August 30, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
This thread inspired me while reading it so went thru my stuff & filled my trunk. I always think that I have done my best & nothing left to de-clutter but still manage to find stuff every time I try.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2494 on: August 30, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »
I pulled out 71 books (from our collection of 2500 or so). I love books. But there were quite a few that no longer spoke to me. Also had a lot of books I *ought* to read--I gave myself permission not to read them, ever (unless I want to). I'll take most to the Recycle book store. Anything they don't take gets donated to the library sale.

Plus a 20-volume encyclopedia of gardening that was foisted on me at a yard sale. It's actually worth something. Trying to work up the nerve to sell on eBay for the first time ever.

Posting this to hold myself accountable for actually getting the books out of the house. :)

Added a few more to the pile, and took them ALL to the library for donation. YEAH. Decided it was not worth the effort (this time) to try to sell them at the bookstore; I just wanted them OUT. Also a box of clothes to Goodwill. Then I dusted and straightened up about half of our remaining ~2000 books. They look much brighter and nicer. Now eyeing a few more that I don't think I really ever want to read.

Culled out some boring glass vases, broken mugs, mugs from the company I used to work for, a mug from the apartment complex I moved to in 1989. A few old family knickknacks that were sent to me because no one else wanted them. Guess what--neither do I. That made room in the display cabinet for some cups I really like but that were hidden away and never got used.

It's like giving away  seven bags of bad feelings.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2495 on: August 30, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »

Added a few more to the pile, and took them ALL to the library for donation. YEAH. Decided it was not worth the effort (this time) to try to sell them at the bookstore; I just wanted them OUT. Also a box of clothes to Goodwill. Then I dusted and straightened up about half of our remaining ~2000 books. They look much brighter and nicer. Now eyeing a few more that I don't think I really ever want to read.

Culled out some boring glass vases, broken mugs, mugs from the company I used to work for, a mug from the apartment complex I moved to in 1989. A few old family knickknacks that were sent to me because no one else wanted them. Guess what--neither do I. That made room in the display cabinet for some cups I really like but that were hidden away and never got used.

Wow, 2,000 is A Lot of books. You cut down from 2,500?
So I'm curious to know more about these books. What sort of books, have you read most of them, how you came to hav them, etc.
I've always been an avid reader (and collecter) as well, but recently cut back to approx 30 ( with a lot of encouragement from this thread and gauntlet called Read your Bookshelves ). A few years ago I must hav had 300+ and steadily dwindling.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2496 on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:14 PM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.
Oh, I can. I live in a small space and keep my gift-wrapping supplies, winter clothes, future gifts and so on in boxes. Another holds my tools (hammer and screwdrivers can live on your bookshelf if you just put them in a pretty box). I'd say my single most usefull tip for small-space living is this: put all items relating to task/hobby A into a box you can easily lift down when needed and replace on it's shelf in a jiffy. My whole "office" is a box. Same with my "hobby room".
Of course! I meant kept in boxes in storage over a long time. I also have things in boxes. Winter clothing and so on. It is a good idea to invest in really good plastic boxes with snap on lids. Then mice can't get there and it does not smell.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2497 on: August 31, 2015, 01:46:34 AM »
It's a bank holiday today so I'm going to go through our two DIY boxes to see what I can get rid of as I know we haven't touched them in months apart from to get out an energy efficient light bulb.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2498 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:53 AM »

Yes.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2499 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:04 AM »
This month was a winner.  I ended a relationship and then moved out; got rid of stuff while I was packing (and have been getting rid of stuff for months), have another big box or so for the thrift shop, and have been Freecycling random things out of the donation box.  All my books are in one bookshelf now and I've already started reading down the unread ones.  By the end of tomorrow, my empty packing boxes and the donation box will all be out of my apartment.

When I put my closet back together I turned all my hangars.  Whatever isn't turned again by Christmas gets a new lease in someone else's closet.  Hello, August.

This is great!  Congratulations!