Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850085 times)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2400 on: August 11, 2015, 11:17:16 PM »
Recently joined the local Buy Nothing group. Today, got rid of my first item - a set of clothespins. I had ambitions to line dry my stuff outside, but I think that will not happen; whatever I hang dry I can do on my indoor racks.

Next up: multiple extraneous kitchen items.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2401 on: August 12, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »
I also need to get rid of my Breyer horses. I was embarrassingly obsessed with horses as a kid so I have my collection leftover from that. I'm wondering how well they'll sell on Craigslist.

My roommate may end up buying some of those from you. And I will silently cringe.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #2402 on: August 12, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
When she stopped by this week, I had my 25 year old daughter go through an old cardboard box of toys that ended up moving with us last year when we downsized to an apartment. She picked out a couple of things out of the box that she still wanted, and her brother kept a couple of small toys, then this morning I disposed of the rest of them including the big Uhaul box they were in. The remainders were too stained and old, mostly soft toys, to donate, so I trashed them.

This frees up space in the hall cupboard to put my vacuum away, so it will help the apartment look better too.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2403 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
On a weekender in Melbourne (aka shopping capital of Australia) and noticed the 100 outfits in 100 days challenge (about using what you have) combined with decluttering has made me view shopping very differently. I did purchase two items but they were both items that have been on my want/need list for a long time (a lightweight travel towel, I only have one and need a second one for when I do two consecutive gym days. I could just use a standard towel but as the old one is very close to retirment anyway, this will be primary towel and the old one the backup). And then trail runners. Currently hiking in steel caps (work boots that work bought for me for site visits) so really needed something more suitable. Both were heavily discounted :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2404 on: August 13, 2015, 05:30:26 AM »
On a weekender in Melbourne (aka shopping capital of Australia) and noticed the 100 outfits in 100 days challenge (about using what you have) combined with decluttering has made me view shopping very differently. I did purchase two items but they were both items that have been on my want/need list for a long time (a lightweight travel towel, I only have one and need a second one for when I do two consecutive gym days. I could just use a standard towel but as the old one is very close to retirment anyway, this will be primary towel and the old one the backup). And then trail runners. Currently hiking in steel caps (work boots that work bought for me for site visits) so really needed something more suitable. Both were heavily discounted :-)

Yeah MMM has ruined shopping for me too! But I guess that's a good thing :)

It's very satisfying to buy something which you have been needing and researching for a long time. Much more satisfying (and fun) than my old way of "want it? buy it!"

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2405 on: August 13, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »
So true :-) really excited to bust these bad boys out on my next hike :-)

Quinn

« Reply #2406 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »
Question: What do you do with random wires/cables? Can they be recycled or do they go straight to landfill?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2407 on: August 13, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Question: What do you do with random wires/cables? Can they be recycled or do they go straight to landfill?
Anything with metal in it can go into one pile or bin, then periodically call the metal pickers.  They will take anything with significant metal content and take it apart for recycling.

Win-win-win, it's out of your house, it's recycled, and someone makes money off of it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2408 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »

Check with your municipality but I can take them to my local 'household recycling centre' (formerly known as the dump) and put with all other electricals to be recycled.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2409 on: August 14, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Boxes magically disappeared from my house!

We saved about 20 boxes from our last move "just in case the need pops up". Well, it's been 3 years, and we've only had need for one of them, so I was going to put them on freecycle.

Until a neighbor posted on the neighborhood facebook page "Does anyone have boxes?"

I do! I do!

And now they are gone!

veronica mars rover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now move Uranus, the Mercury's rising.
« Reply #2410 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »
I'm about to do another declutter weekend.  In the Tidying Up book, it mentions that you should never have to declutter again, if you do it properly.  Has this been anyone's real experience?  I find that I have to purge every three months anyway and I'm mostly bagging up garbage, recyclables, and kid items (for Goodwill).

I don't mind, really.  I make a party of it.  But does anyone ever really stop the flow of new clutter coming in?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2411 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:54 PM »
Another three books. Gone. Awesome.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2412 on: August 14, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »
Donated 5 boxes of books to my library yesterday.  Would have taken 6, but their maximum is 5 per day.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2413 on: August 14, 2015, 09:17:20 PM »
Another three books. Gone. Awesome.

I am actually down to one box worth of books and dwindling... :) fab progress everybody

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2414 on: August 15, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
I am not sure if you ever finish.  I've gotten it all together a few times, but always moved soon after.  So my house is now really de cluttered and organized.  My plan is to stay at least 5 years.  I'll get back to you.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2415 on: August 15, 2015, 12:52:19 AM »
Read Marie Kondo's book last night and whereas I like the principle behind it, I can't relate to the book. First of all, just throwing everything away rather than find a good home for it goes against my nature. She even discourages giving away stuff as you saddle others with it. The option to sell it does not even come up.

The way she treated books before finally deciding on throwing them away is horrendous (tearing out pages to file them???) and she clearly does not understand people who love to re-read books. 30 is a lot and 100 the maximum? I read that every year just in re-reading my favourites.

I do not think she has ever held a hammer in her life so nothing on storing tools or DIY stuff, which is what I badly need some tips on as I have a hard time keeping that stuff sorted.

It is a book about a lady and other ladies with lots of lady stuff (how many handbags do you need?) and as I am not a lady I found it hard to relate. However, the generic principle behind it is OK and her folding/storing of clothes is brilliant.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2416 on: August 15, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »
Read Marie Kondo's book last night and whereas I like the principle behind it, I can't relate to the book. First of all, just throwing everything away rather than find a good home for it goes against my nature. She even discourages giving away stuff as you saddle others with it. The option to sell it does not even come up.

The way she treated books before finally deciding on throwing them away is horrendous (tearing out pages to file them???) and she clearly does not understand people who love to re-read books. 30 is a lot and 100 the maximum? I read that every year just in re-reading my favourites.

I do not think she has ever held a hammer in her life so nothing on storing tools or DIY stuff, which is what I badly need some tips on as I have a hard time keeping that stuff sorted.

It is a book about a lady and other ladies with lots of lady stuff (how many handbags do you need?) and as I am not a lady I found it hard to relate. However, the generic principle behind it is OK and her folding/storing of clothes is brilliant.

I think, as with any other book of this kind, take and use what works and speaks to you, and don't worry about the rest. 

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2417 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
I think there is a way to think about Marie Kondo that is very enjoyable.  First, you have a book written by someone from a completely different culture.  I know she is very successful, and therefore not "average", but she isn't intellectual, and it is rare for me to read a book by an author from a completely different culture who is more "every man."  And I enjoy reading about a woman who cares about how relaxed her socks are when they are resting in her drawer.  Because how she thinks about her socks actually is a big part of the book - how do you treat, experience, and interact with the objects you surround yourself with.  And how they experience you. 

No, I doubt she owns tools.  And I have no idea what the second-hand market is like in Japan.  I do think she is rather frugal, saying you don't need to buy any organizers.  Instead encouraging the use of shoe boxes and things you already have.  I was planning on buying some things to organize with, but it turned out I already had everything I needed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:08:06 AM by Meadow Lark »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2418 on: August 15, 2015, 04:08:11 PM »
I'm about to do another declutter weekend.  In the Tidying Up book, it mentions that you should never have to declutter again, if you do it properly.  Has this been anyone's real experience?  I find that I have to purge every three months anyway and I'm mostly bagging up garbage, recyclables, and kid items (for Goodwill).

I don't mind, really.  I make a party of it.  But does anyone ever really stop the flow of new clutter coming in?
I think if you change your mentality about what comes into the house and your lifestyle stays the same it would be ok. But most people even if they change their mentality about what enters the house, will still be subject to lifestyle changes that make things redundant ( eg an injury, having children, gaining new interests at the expense of old ones) would all serve to make multiple items in the average house change from being useful to being clutter.

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #2419 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:04 PM »
Another successful decluttering day.  DH working the garage with enthusiasm now that he can see possibility of parking his car inside this winter! Had a pickup of lots of old remodeling supplies and tools;  DS decided that he is ready to get rid of all his toy trucks, cars, legos and train sets.   Whoo-hoo!!  Toy trucks and cars went to thrift shop.  I told him he can have any money we get for selling the legos and train sets on ebay, so that is a job for tomorrow, but it will be gone in a week.  We should get at least $500 for all that stuff... which sadly tells you how nuts we have been with legos and Thomas the Train sets.  And then, neighborhood boys decided to have a garage sale tomorrow so kids are packing up even more stuff.  Our house is almost looking like its staged for a sale.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2420 on: August 16, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I do enjoy the overall vision she promotes, just need to look past all the handbag stuff :-) and it inspired me to declutter my walk-in closet this weekend.

It now looks pretty enough to go into a magazine after my attempt at a Konmari makeover, and I have three empty shelves. I gave away one small bag of clothes to the local freecycle store, plus 100 clothes hangers and a pair of shoes that did fit, but were just not comfortable. Then I went on to donate a very thick bedspread that is very nice and warm but a pain to wash and therefore did not get used a lot, I donated that to the animal shelter along with a drinking fountain my cats did not like. Then on to the freecycle bookstore where I donated two boxes of books. Mostly not "my" books but hand me downs from others, but I managed to part with some I now have as an ebook. I firmly refused the ladies' offer to have a look around to see if there were any books I wanted...

The only thing I bought were two baskets for my underwear drawer. I have a bra drawer which is now all folded, but I can't bring myself to fold my thongs, it is just not possible to make a sensible package of something with so little fabric. So now I have two baskets, one for nice ones, one for plain ones, the rest of the drawer is for swimwear and other items not deserving a drawer all by themselves.

And I hung up two mirrors on the doors of my my closet that had been standing in the corner for 5 years. One I have had since I was 10, the other I rescued from the trash. So much space now!

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2421 on: August 16, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »

I find that when it comes to knick-knacks, I have stopped them coming in already over 15 years ago, and since then have been decluttering what I accumulated until that time, so that works well. Once I get my tools sorted I will get better with that, as I will always be able to find what I need I will not end up with duplicate stuff in three different areas of the house. (Why do I never, ever have enough screws of the right size for any given job?)

With paperwork I tend to slip up and do not clear out when I should, for example receipts and warranties, so I need to purge every couple of years. I was thinking of starting to file them by expiry year, then every year I can just chuck out the whole expired folder.

Food tends to accumulate so eating all the food in the freezer and cupboards is a regular occurrence to keep it under control. And books, well, let's just not talk about books ;-)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2422 on: August 16, 2015, 12:13:05 PM »
I do enjoy the overall vision she promotes, just need to look past all the handbag stuff :-) and it inspired me to declutter my walk-in closet this weekend.

It now looks pretty enough to go into a magazine after my attempt at a Konmari makeover, and I have three empty shelves. I gave away one small bag of clothes to the local freecycle store, plus 100 clothes hangers and a pair of shoes that did fit, but were just not comfortable. Then I went on to donate a very thick bedspread that is very nice and warm but a pain to wash and therefore did not get used a lot, I donated that to the animal shelter along with a drinking fountain my cats did not like. Then on to the freecycle bookstore where I donated two boxes of books. Mostly not "my" books but hand me downs from others, but I managed to part with some I now have as an ebook. I firmly refused the ladies' offer to have a look around to see if there were any books I wanted...

The only thing I bought were two baskets for my underwear drawer. I have a bra drawer which is now all folded, but I can't bring myself to fold my thongs, it is just not possible to make a sensible package of something with so little fabric. So now I have two baskets, one for nice ones, one for plain ones, the rest of the drawer is for swimwear and other items not deserving a drawer all by themselves.

And I hung up two mirrors on the doors of my my closet that had been standing in the corner for 5 years. One I have had since I was 10, the other I rescued from the trash. So much space now!

I haven't folded my thongs either, I thought it ridiculous. In fact my whole gouchie drawer is in disarray ( although all in one drawer ). However, I hav read so many comments about how positive people's experiences hav been with folding socks that I think I'll giv tidying up the whole drawer a go.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2423 on: August 16, 2015, 08:38:57 PM »
i posted earlier about being asked to help my in-laws declutter as they prepare to downsize.

I spent the weekend with them and I bagged up 45 shopping bags of stuff for either bin, sell, or donate.

My mother-in-law was so excited by the progress, but we didn't address any of 'her' areas yet. We cleaned out the pantry, one baking drawer (she hardly ever bakes so she binned 80 per cent of her old baking trays without hesitation), my husband's childhood bedroom, laundry, guest bathroom  and one TV unit.

Yet to tackle her 'problem areas: her bathroom, clothes, linen press (she loves linen), coffee mugs (she loves coffee mugs), etc.

She resisted a couple of things I mentioned. She has a mismatched set of everyday cutlery, then a set of good matching cutlery that she looks after so well it goes back into the box it came in. The good cutlery became a necessity because my brother-in-law, when he lived at home, would nick forks for his lunch so she was always replacing them. And this is why she says she needs both sets. But he moved out of home three years ago. Get rid of the old stuff, enjoy using the lovely matching cutlery every day, and save all that space.

They've never lived in an apartment before so they're in for a massive learning curve.

When we tidied the laundry I threw out about 10 blown floodlight bulbs in their boxes - they were in the habit of putting the blown bulb back in the cupboard! In an apartment they won't have the luxury of being - well, essentially being too lazy to throw out empty boxes.

I'll keep working on her.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2424 on: August 17, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »

I do think I will only do this one big clean up. Maybe that's naive.

But since finding MMM I honestly never buy anything that I don't need and need to use straight away. I don't stockpile things anymore, so no cheap shower gel in the cupboard that I might forget about / let spoil / decide I don't like after all.

I used to enjoy shopping for stationery and makeup. No more. If I need something, I will buy it, but only to replace something, never to accumulate more. I am happy with the number of things I have, I don't want the number of things to go up.

I was at a fair recently and someone tried to give me a wristband. I was surprised at how strongly I said, "no thank you". I just don't want any stuff coming into my house. I don't browse second hand shops, I only go on ebay to replace something, I bin junk mail at the door and request to be taken off lists.

I think it can work if you just totally stop bringing anything in (except consumables). For a few years now straight after Christmas I've bagged stuff up to be donated straight away (sounds cruel, but honestly, no-one ever notices, and I don't even want stuff I CHOSE to be coming into my house, a lot of what people buy me is not something I need / want / will enjoy). Their -intent- is to give me joy, releasing these items to others who will enjoy them is honouring their intention more than holding onto them out of misplaced guilt.

I don't keep receipts / warranties etc as consumer protection laws are very good here and you don't need those kind of records, but in any case, it's extremely rare for me to buy something 'first hand' anyway. I reconcile bank statement and shred immediately. I don't keep paper things that just end up in piles. If I want to try a recipe I try it NOW and file it if I like it. Brochures / catalogues / magazines don't come into the house, if I want something to read, I get it from the library. I will buy DVDs on ebay, but we watch it and resell straight away. I don't want my house to become my 'To Do' list as it has been in days of old.

Obviously, I don't have kids. And my husband isn't a shopper (although his workshop is a different beast, but I leave it totally to him). Also, if you declutter RUTHLESSLY it's over more quickly. There's a lot of stuff I've got rid of on a third or fourth pass. That drags it out for sure, but she's right, when I've got to the right amount of stuff in a category for me, I just know.

So for me, the key in maintaining will be 1) no shopping (easy now I'm a MMM convert) 2) being ruthless with gifts coming into the house 3) stopping paper / trinkets / freebies at the door, so they never come in, and I don't have to clear them out.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2425 on: August 17, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »

I think it can work if you just totally stop bringing anything in (except consumables). For a few years now straight after Christmas I've bagged stuff up to be donated straight away (sounds cruel, but honestly, no-one ever notices, and I don't even want stuff I CHOSE to be coming into my house, a lot of what people buy me is not something I need / want / will enjoy). Their -intent- is to give me joy, releasing these items to others who will enjoy them is honouring their intention more than holding onto them out of misplaced guilt.

I had this revelation/concern an at art fair this weekend in my neighborhood. DH and I thought it might be a cute place to get Christmas gifts, but as we walked around we thought about how particular we are about things coming into our home, and how a really nice art print or fancy necklace might be nice from our perspective but might not be the receiver's cup-of-tea.

I think I'm going to tell my family members that, in an effort to cut down on Christmas consumption, I'll be making a donation to the charity of their choice as their gift--and that I highly encourage them to do the same for me (or go sans gift completely!) rather than buying a bunch of stuff I don't want/need. **this will be phrased much better before the conversation occurs**

I understand the impetus to give gifts--I'm absolutely that kind of person--but the sooner these conversations are had, the sooner we can forego the gifts and focus on other, more important aspects of the holiday. (Like food. Also wine. Mostly family.)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2426 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:32 AM »
I got rid of a couple of items from the basement by posting them on Craigslist/Free Stuff: some leftover wire shelving pieces and two thermostats that I replaced a couple of years ago with programmable ones.  I tried selling the thermostats for a few dollars but no takers.  In the free section, they were gone within minutes.  I am down to 4 or 5 items to be sold.  And I have another batch of clothes ready to go to the consignment store and another bag getting ready for Goodwill.  I have also gone through all my shoes and decided to donate one pair and consign another.  I am starting to feel much better about the contents of my closet ;-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2427 on: August 17, 2015, 07:16:13 AM »
I ordered a bag for ThredUp today.

Does anyone know if they only take seasonal stuff? 
Like, I have a bunch of short sleeve shirts right now, but my local consignment is only taking long sleeves.   

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #2428 on: August 17, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration.  Time to downsize some more.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2429 on: August 17, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
I ordered a bag for ThredUp today.

Does anyone know if they only take seasonal stuff? 
Like, I have a bunch of short sleeve shirts right now, but my local consignment is only taking long sleeves.

They buy out of season stuff, but it's my experience that they seem to be more likely to buy something in season.   Ie., they won't reject something that's really good b/c it's out of season, but if you have a more borderline/questionable item it might be more likely to be bought in season (so fall stuff now).

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2430 on: August 17, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
I got rid of six trash bags worth of crap yesterday. I've told the gf that I want us to get rid of 5 boxes/trash bags a month if not more, for the next 12 months.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2431 on: August 19, 2015, 03:39:53 AM »
Gave some furniture polish and light globes to my mum. Both relate to items I no longer own (broken lamps and a wooden chair) but will be appreciated by her. 3 more items out.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2432 on: August 19, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
I've been a fairly ruthless declutterer for a few years now (I'm a big fan of Brooks Palmer - his blog and books were literally life changing for me). And you know that fear of throwing something out and then needing it again in the future? Well, I finally hit ONE thing that I regretted getting rid of, and that was floss sticks that DH bought for me when I couldn't use my hands properly for a few weeks a few years ago. I needed them last week post-surgery when again I couldn't really use either hand for a few days.

But really, that's been it out of everything I've gotten rid of.

tl;dr: be brave and ruthless! You won't regret it.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #2433 on: August 20, 2015, 02:08:56 AM »
Another bag of clothes ready to go out. My wardrobe is looking pretty lean right now.

I found a home for my 2 bags of books that have been sitting around for a few weeks. A local animal charity (that does low cost vet care/de-sexing street cats and dogs) is doing a book sale so those will go to a good cause.

I looked through my winter stuff but there is not much to throw out. We live in Asia so any winter gear gets used for max two weeks a year. It will last forever at this rate!

I have some DVDs to go out next.

Some random stuff like an old laptop and a pair of prescription glasses needs to find a home next. I don't throw out much here as the need for everything is so very dire. It takes me a bit longer but I always find a place that really wants the stuff and that is nice :)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2434 on: August 20, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
Decent progress this week. Took a bag of fall clothes to the consignment shop, sold a few items on eBay, and tidied all my sewing and office supplies, donating or tossing a good portion. My photo scanning project continues...I love the ScanSnap which is a document scanner but you can also feed stacks of photos through it. I've scanned and discarded about 2,500 photos and have a few hundred left to go. One big item left to declutter is a collectible car, but so far no buyer. I'm thinking it might behoove me to have it inspected by a mechanic, to give buyers extra confidence.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2435 on: August 21, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »
Decent progress this week. Took a bag of fall clothes to the consignment shop, sold a few items on eBay, and tidied all my sewing and office supplies, donating or tossing a good portion. My photo scanning project continues...I love the ScanSnap which is a document scanner but you can also feed stacks of photos through it. I've scanned and discarded about 2,500 photos and have a few hundred left to go. One big item left to declutter is a collectible car, but so far no buyer. I'm thinking it might behoove me to have it inspected by a mechanic, to give buyers extra confidence.

Scanning photos/docs is a Godsend.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2436 on: August 21, 2015, 05:49:36 AM »
I have gotten rid of alot of stuff Before and have a pretty minimalistic household. However one storage was left where we had som boxes that needed sorting. So I did it last night. It felt great. I will be able to sell alot of textbooks from University I will never use again. Some I will discard and a few I will bring into the Bookshelf.

This is a great stoarge with around 10 degrees celcius during the Winter. I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there. Some clothes as well for seasonal storage. I will also move my gun cabinet there, don't really need my shotgun in the house.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2437 on: August 21, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
I have gotten rid of alot of stuff Before and have a pretty minimalistic household. However one storage was left where we had som boxes that needed sorting. So I did it last night. It felt great. I will be able to sell alot of textbooks from University I will never use again. Some I will discard and a few I will bring into the Bookshelf.

This is a great stoarge with around 10 degrees celcius during the Winter. I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there. Some clothes as well for seasonal storage. I will also move my gun cabinet there, don't really need my shotgun in the house.

"I keep pain, a freezer, canned items out there."
This must be a slip;)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2438 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:48 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I would love to have a storage place to keep my pain.  : )

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2439 on: August 21, 2015, 08:41:12 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I know!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2440 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »

This must be a slip;)

I know!

Or better yet, donate? Or acceptable to trash ? Hahaha

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2441 on: August 21, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Well you never know egen you need pain. Or paint as keep there :)

jordanread

« Reply #2442 on: August 21, 2015, 12:11:03 PM »
Well you never know egen you need pain. Or paint as keep there :)

I just went through some old paint, and also tried to paint my dog house with some of it. It was not easy, and it doesn't look good.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2443 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
What was wrong with it?

jordanread

« Reply #2444 on: August 21, 2015, 12:47:46 PM »
What was wrong with it?

It was chunky. The enamel (I'm assuming) solidified.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2445 on: August 21, 2015, 01:26:26 PM »
To bad. I use only few color outside. All the details on my house is black. Windowframes, fence and so on. I just use same paint for all of it, then it wont have time to go bad.

jordanread

« Reply #2446 on: August 21, 2015, 01:47:04 PM »
To bad. I use only few color outside. All the details on my house is black. Windowframes, fence and so on. I just use same paint for all of it, then it wont have time to go bad.

I only use two colors outside. All of the thrown away paint (or used in the dog run) was before my time, but was fine for all of the colors around. I didn't even think about how long it takes for paint to go bad.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2447 on: August 21, 2015, 05:36:08 PM »

Scanning photos/docs is a Godsend.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

It's a 1969 Mercedes sedan with 6 cylinder gas engine, automatic transmission. Has low miles and we're the second owners.

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #2448 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:39 PM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2449 on: August 22, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
My so got rid of two large boxes of DVDs and books, she is seeing the light (at least some of it ;))

Things kept in boxes are very seldom worth saving. I can't really think of something.

I have a big box of sports and fitness things I really need to sort through. I dig through it every now and then when I need something specific, but not that often. I fear it will be hard to get rid of most of the things in the box, even though I don't use them enough.