Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850127 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2350 on: August 07, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »

I don't know if this counts as getting rid of something per se. A pair of khakis got too stained to wear as nice office pants so I rolled up the legs and used them as capris on days I had to paint at work. They wore out on one side of the butt and I used the extra fabric rolled up in one of the legs to patch it. Finally, while exercising at lunch, they split completely. I'm now harvesting most of the fabric to patch up another pair of work pants.

So I haven't so much gotten rid of it as dismantled it to the point of its no longer being an item.

Use the remnants to make rag paper. After you've used both sides of the paper, shred it for lining the hamster cage. When it's dirty, compost it.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2351 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:59 PM »

I don't know if this counts as getting rid of something per se. A pair of khakis got too stained to wear as nice office pants so I rolled up the legs and used them as capris on days I had to paint at work. They wore out on one side of the butt and I used the extra fabric rolled up in one of the legs to patch it. Finally, while exercising at lunch, they split completely. I'm now harvesting most of the fabric to patch up another pair of work pants.

So I haven't so much gotten rid of it as dismantled it to the point of its no longer being an item.

Use the remnants to make rag paper. After you've used both sides of the paper, shred it for lining the hamster cage. When it's dirty, compost it.

Great zero waste ideas!

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2352 on: August 07, 2015, 01:38:56 PM »
Okay, so there's lots of kondo talk on this thread. 

I'm on the waitlist for her book at the library.  I've read a very little bit about her "method," and I'm disappointed to see (admittedly in limited searches) that all everyone raves about is folding things up and putting them in the drawers vertically.  I've been doing this for years, ever since realizing that baby clothes don't do well in stacks.  (My kids are 6 and 4 now.)

Is there anything else that I might find life changing in her book, or is it just all about the damned folding and whether things you own "spark joy?"  (I mean, good tips, but a whole book devoted to these two points?)

jordanread

« Reply #2353 on: August 07, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »

I'm on the waitlist for her book at the library.  I've read a very little bit about her "method," and I'm disappointed to see (admittedly in limited searches) that all everyone raves about is folding things up and putting them in the drawers vertically.  I've been doing this for years, ever since realizing that baby clothes don't do well in stacks.  (My kids are 6 and 4 now.)

Is there anything else that I might find life changing in her book, or is it just all about the damned folding and whether things you own "spark joy?"  (I mean, good tips, but a whole book devoted to these two points?)

Her decluttering methods of doing everything at once were useful, and the anecdotal stories were kind of fun. You are getting at the library, and I think most value from it is the mindset people get while spending the time to actually read it. Also, she spends so much time on confronting the kind of excuses people commonly give, that it's worth it there. I'm not a huge believer (although the folding was awesome) in her totally, but there is value there. I don't know that I would recommend buying it, but from the library...why the hell not?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2354 on: August 07, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
I just googled Kondo and saw a video of her folding a sock drawer. The fact that all the things in it were not the same height REALLY bothered me.

I guess DH's anal retentive folding has finally got me.  Even though laundry has always been my chore, he made me change how I folded things to meet his expectations. To be fair, his way is pretty good.  I can't use the exact same folds on men's clothes as women's clothes though, because the end result has to be that all the things are the same dimensions in the drawer.

Now the only thing I won't fold is my underwear. I did for awhile and decided life is too short. I still fold his, I don't think I could get away with just throwing them in the drawer.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2355 on: August 07, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

The method is (potentially) life-changing because it focuses on working through the emotions attached to things. You deal with every *thing* and all the feelings, memories, etc. around it. The "does it spark joy" question is not a yes-or-no question. Rather, it opens up a space for you to consider all the feelings you may have about something.

You aren't discarding unwanted  items so much as you are discarding the *baggage* they have.

By dealing with all of one category at a time, you see the whole picture. (You can make the category as small as you want. If doing all the clothes is too much, you can do all the shoes, or all the pants, or all the long-sleeved shirts--whatever suits your tolerance.)

Folding clothes is a small part of the book and you don't have to do it.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2356 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:10 PM »
I tossed a pair of jeans today that were at least one size too big. I have another pair I probably should toss (half a size too big) but then I will have no thick winter jeans, so I put them on the maybe pile... Currently they get occasional use camping etc but I am not sure if that is enough to justify owning them.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2357 on: August 07, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
Another 2 books out.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2358 on: August 08, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »
I donated a small pile of things today: old magazines, a bag of clothes, a set of sheets, some curtains, a storage container, a bicycle basket, and a book.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2359 on: August 08, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
I have done such intense decluttering over the last couple of years that I actually was thinking the other day that there wasn't anything else I wanted to be rid of ( besides books as I read them ) , but now I'm thinking I'll probably come up with more before too long - its just like that :) . but I'm very happy with what I hav now and really there's nothing that I miss and nothing that I need.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2360 on: August 08, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
Sold 3 things from the doll collection list!  (I have about 15 I would like to go.)

Price was slightly lower than I wanted; but still not nearing rock bottom.

Today's goal is to have the guest room closet 100% cleared out so we can get started on baby room closet in a few months.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2361 on: August 08, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
I've offloaded like ten books by sending them to friends and relatives. Thank goodness for book rate.

Great zero waste ideas!

When the compost turns to dirt, cup it in your hands every evening and whisper to it how much you appreciate it.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2362 on: August 08, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
I've offloaded like ten books by sending them to friends and relatives. Thank goodness for book rate.

Great zero waste ideas!

When the compost turns to dirt, cup it in your hands every evening and whisper to it how much you appreciate it.

And let the dirt be taken by the wind all across the earth? :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2363 on: August 08, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
$200 at yard sale and the leftovers to charity. Yay for me!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2364 on: August 08, 2015, 03:25:29 PM »
I'm very happy with what I hav now and really there's nothing that I miss and nothing that I need.

That sounds like a pretty great place to be!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2365 on: August 08, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »

Great zero waste ideas!

That would be a waste of good compost. Put it in the garden, on the tomato plants. When you eat the tomatoes, the compost will run through your veins.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2366 on: August 08, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
I'm using up some toiletries and cleaning products this weekend.  These 2 areas are big for me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2367 on: August 08, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
I have gotten serious this week about decluttering.  I have gotten rid of about 100 books (to libraries), lots of clothing (mostly t-shirts), blankets and comforters, and some knick knacks.  Also, my recycling bin is now full (cardboard, paper, plastic).  Thankfully, not much has ended up in the trash.

My house feels like it can breathe again.

Question:  what is the best thing to do with plastic that is not recyclable?  landfill or burn it?

Has anyone here sent cassette and VHS tapes to GreenDisk (or a similar service)?  If so, were you happy with the result?

Thanks.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2368 on: August 08, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »

Great zero waste ideas!

That would be a waste of good compost. Put it in the garden, on the tomato plants. When you eat the tomatoes, the compost will run through your veins.

Right . but the compost would eventually scatter.
And most likely land on some other ground and be of use.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2369 on: August 08, 2015, 04:59:23 PM »

Great zero waste ideas!

I've got it. I'll use it to grow cotton and make a new pair of pants.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #2370 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
Thank you, all you inspiring and hilarious de-clutter bugs! You push me to get rid of more and more. Tonight I am listing things on craigslist. What does not sell this week will be donated.

Edited to add that this afternoon while I was doing yard work, a couple came to pick up the stack of Japanese quilting magazines. They were so happy to get them and I was so happy to say goodbye. Win-win!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:31:55 PM by CU Tiger »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2371 on: August 08, 2015, 08:24:32 PM »
This is a great thread!    My daughter is moving out in September and my son is 2 years behind her.   I want to start decluttering so that we'll be ready to go.

I listened to Marie Kondo's book over the last 2 weeks (audiobook on my commute to work).   At first I thought she was nuts - folding underwear and socks?    But her other ideas are excellent.    If it doesn't 'bring you joy' why are you keeping it?     (Well my tools don't really bring me joy, but I keep them so I don't have to pay people to do trivial jobs.)

I donated 4 boxes of books to the library today (8 cubic feet down, how many to go?)   I can't believe it feels good!   I've had some of those books for 30 years.   And I haven't used them for 30 years either.    We actually have empty shelf space on 2 of our bookcases now.

I'm finding this change easy because I've always been a little obsessive/compulsive about being organized.    DW not so much.   Any ideas on how to get her engaged in this process?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2372 on: August 08, 2015, 09:48:58 PM »

Great zero waste ideas!

I've got it. I'll use it to grow cotton and make a new pair of pants.

Lol nice .

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2373 on: August 09, 2015, 01:44:06 AM »
I'm late but I'd love to join the party. I live with hubby and 2 small boys in an old 80sqm villa in NZ. I am a full time mum and feel like I spend all day dealing with stuff -washing, sorting, tidying, retidying and retidying again. We built attic storage so we wouldn't suffocate in our possessions. And I have had a first round of Marie Kondo but need to get back into. The biggest problem is that the first time around I wasn't sure that the family would cope with minimalism so instead of getting rid of stuff I put it in the attic. The house looks pretty good but I feel an oppressive weight from above and I know what it is -all that crap I should have gotten rid of because nobody missed anything. I need some moral support for the task at hand. I have been reading through this epic thread and you guys are amazing. The big driver for me is that I want to stay in our current home which we own mortgage free and put our cash into investments but we need to feel comfortable in our home to do that and that means keeping the clutter under control.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2374 on: August 09, 2015, 03:36:20 AM »
If you haven't taken the stuff out of the attic in tweleve months I would take it all to the op shop without even opening the box. Because think about what stuff would you go more than 12 months not needing and then suddenly need (the only things I can think of are baby things for families planning another child, ski clothes for people who don't live on cold climates but enjoy ski holidays and maybe some tools/camping equipment though I suspect if you are mustachian the later two would at least obtain annual use.)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2375 on: August 09, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »
I have done such intense decluttering over the last couple of years that I actually was thinking the other day that there wasn't anything else I wanted to be rid of ( besides books as I read them ) , but now I'm thinking I'll probably come up with more before too long - its just like that :) . but I'm very happy with what I hav now and really there's nothing that I miss and nothing that I need.

Hahaha . well, I got inspired this morning and gathered a couple jewelries, 3 books, a tank top, some charms I don't like , and a terrible version of vanilla room spray. I also was searching for some specific photos and threw out maybe 3 more.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2376 on: August 10, 2015, 07:27:53 AM »
Had a sudden realisation today of some cosmetics that went missing last time I moved house and felt sad I dont have them anymore. I managed to nitbthink of them for over a year and now urgh... I hope I don't feel like that about stuff I decluttered, although today I had another regret (namely, why did I toss out my only track pants even though they were threadbare and covered I. Paint stains. It's really cold today**!!) Two steps forward a quarter of an inch back???

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #2377 on: August 10, 2015, 07:43:44 AM »
This weekend I started to face the books. I love books and my overflowing 'library', but I don't want to move them on upcoming move to LCOL area. First pass was all my old technical books. Off to recycling they went. So sad that these don't have value anymore...but must admit I don't know why I held on to old calculus textbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2378 on: August 10, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
Had a sudden realisation today of some cosmetics that went missing last time I moved house and felt sad I dont have them anymore. I managed to nitbthink of them for over a year and now urgh... I hope I don't feel like that about stuff I decluttered, although today I had another regret (namely, why did I toss out my only track pants even though they were threadbare and covered I. Paint stains. It's really cold today**!!) Two steps forward a quarter of an inch back???

Sounds like the track pants needed to go regardless, and maybe you'll decide that you should replace them.  If you replace 2% of what you throw out, you're still ahead.  Re the cosmetics, if it took you a year to think about them, I don't think they're truly missed, but if they are, then consider it a learning opportunity to hone your decluttering muscles, in knowing what you will and won't regret tossing.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2379 on: August 10, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »
DD cleaned out her bathroom cabinet yesterday and tossed some almost empty shampoo bottles, hair products and expired meds.  She reorganized the rest of her stuff using an extension shelf I used to have in my closet but didn't need any more.

I haven't done any real decluttering lately (although I started another Goodwill bag with the clothes that the consignment store rejected).  I'd like to focus on it again but may wait until DD is gone back to university in September. 

I have unraveled a cashmere sweater and salvaged the yarn for a future knitting project.  I also washed and repaired the slipcovers I have on a couple of chairs in the kitchen.  My cat uses the chairs as her scratching posts (ugh, I have tried everything but I don't know how to stop her from doing that!) so there were a lot of pulls, loose threads and small holes on the sides.  And lots of cat hair!  I was prepared to just throw them out but I thought I would give cleaning them a try first.  The instructions said they are dry clean only but I washed them on delicate, hang them up to dry and ironed them.  I trimmed all the loose threads and darned the holes.  They look good!  Now, if I can only train the cat not to scratch them!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2380 on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
DD cleaned out her bathroom cabinet yesterday and tossed some almost empty shampoo bottles, hair products and expired meds.  She reorganized the rest of her stuff using an extension shelf I used to have in my closet but didn't need any more.

I haven't done any real decluttering lately (although I started another Goodwill bag with the clothes that the consignment store rejected).  I'd like to focus on it again but may wait until DD is gone back to university in September. 

I have unraveled a cashmere sweater and salvaged the yarn for a future knitting project.  I also washed and repaired the slipcovers I have on a couple of chairs in the kitchen.  My cat uses the chairs as her scratching posts (ugh, I have tried everything but I don't know how to stop her from doing that!) so there were a lot of pulls, loose threads and small holes on the sides.  And lots of cat hair!  I was prepared to just throw them out but I thought I would give cleaning them a try first.  The instructions said they are dry clean only but I washed them on delicate, hang them up to dry and ironed them.  I trimmed all the loose threads and darned the holes.  They look good!  Now, if I can only train the cat not to scratch them!
I have had pretty strong success putting my cat's scratching post exactly in front of my $800 couch that she likes to scratch. With the post just there she will use it instead. The second the post moves a metre away she will go for the couch. Cats are weird.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:08 AM »

Sounds like the track pants needed to go regardless, and maybe you'll decide that you should replace them.  If you replace 2% of what you throw out, you're still ahead.  Re the cosmetics, if it took you a year to think about them, I don't think they're truly missed, but if they are, then consider it a learning opportunity to hone your decluttering muscles, in knowing what you will and won't regret tossing.
Thanks. Yeah, I think the trackies deserve to be replaced after a decade of faithful service. Tossing before replacing may not have been the smartest thing in this particular instance. I am gonna sit on the cosmetics and resist the urge to replace immediately. If I still want them in a week or two I will replace them (I have hit a cycle of swearing louder makeup again). It did send a strong message to me that one you bring something into your life, even though you may view it as a "one time purchase" there can be a hedonic adaptation thing that effectively makes it an ongoing purchase. So this will make more wary of bringing new items into my life.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2382 on: August 10, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »

I have had pretty strong success putting my cat's scratching post exactly in front of my $800 couch that she likes to scratch. With the post just there she will use it instead. The second the post moves a metre away she will go for the couch. Cats are weird.

I tried a variety of scratching posts, pads, etc.  I had a scratching post right in front of the chair in the kitchen. She completely ignores all that stuff and goes after the chairs, the couch and the rugs on the floor...  Otherwise, she is an awesome cat so I usually just make a loud noise if I catch her in the act (clap my hands and yell NO!) and forgive her ;-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: August 10, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

It's like how people will use a trash can right in front of them, but won't walk 15 feet to one they can clearly see.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2384 on: August 10, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
I just googled Kondo and saw a video of her folding a sock drawer. The fact that all the things in it were not the same height REALLY bothered me.

I guess DH's anal retentive folding has finally got me.  Even though laundry has always been my chore, he made me change how I folded things to meet his expectations. To be fair, his way is pretty good.  I can't use the exact same folds on men's clothes as women's clothes though, because the end result has to be that all the things are the same dimensions in the drawer.

Now the only thing I won't fold is my underwear. I did for awhile and decided life is too short. I still fold his, I don't think I could get away with just throwing them in the drawer.

You are much more tolerant than me! My attitude would be that if he was so particular about how the clothes were folded than he could do the laundry himself.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2385 on: August 10, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
This is a great thread!    My daughter is moving out in September and my son is 2 years behind her.   I want to start decluttering so that we'll be ready to go.

I listened to Marie Kondo's book over the last 2 weeks (audiobook on my commute to work).   At first I thought she was nuts - folding underwear and socks?    But her other ideas are excellent.    If it doesn't 'bring you joy' why are you keeping it?     (Well my tools don't really bring me joy, but I keep them so I don't have to pay people to do trivial jobs.)

I donated 4 boxes of books to the library today (8 cubic feet down, how many to go?)   I can't believe it feels good!   I've had some of those books for 30 years.   And I haven't used them for 30 years either.    We actually have empty shelf space on 2 of our bookcases now.

I'm finding this change easy because I've always been a little obsessive/compulsive about being organized.    DW not so much.   Any ideas on how to get her engaged in this process?

Just do your thing. As change becomes noticeable, then she may decide on her own to get involved. You can also try putting the Kondo book on tape on when she's home and you're working. May help inspire her.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2386 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »

The cat may like the rope or carpet posts. May like horizontal vs vertical. May not like the current location of legal scratching targets. You  need to experiment to see what will work out. And it can change with age. My older cat never liked horizontal, but I just got one from my mom and it's a huge hit now.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2387 on: August 10, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »
Got my first bag from ThredUp. Put clothes in it, sealed it, and put it out on the porch for pickup. Suddenly realized I had left out some of the main things I wanted to get rid of. Grabbed the bag and brought it back inside. The items left out are the ones that will probably bring the most $, so I don't want to forget them. I just got so excited last night I forgot. :)

If I open the bag and reseal it with tape, does anyone know if ThredUp will still accept it? Or do I need to order a new kit?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2388 on: August 10, 2015, 12:36:31 PM »
NLB, I bet they'll still take it. I'm waiting on a kit now--does it fit a lot?

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2389 on: August 10, 2015, 01:51:13 PM »
NLB, I bet they'll still take it. I'm waiting on a kit now--does it fit a lot?

Yes, it's a *huge* bag.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2390 on: August 10, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »

I had a log sitting on a scrap of carpet for my cat.  About 95% of the time she'd go out of her way to use the log and leave my furniture alone.  It was a log with bark still on it, completely dried and without pesky bugs.  I think I dried it in a garage for a year or so before bringing it inside.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2391 on: August 10, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Okay, I read the Kondo book and then Kondoed our dresser. I blame all of you.

Do you love that it looks like a box of jelly beans now? I am ridiculously gleeful every time I open a drawer, post KonMari.  :-D
I recognise this so much! Yesterday evening I just had to grin when I opened my nightwear drawer, which is now folded KonMari style. It is such a change, I am quite surprised about the effect it has.

it's nice, right? i'm living out of a suitcase now, so rolling makes more sense than rectangular folding (not enough vertical space), but still, i think the impact is the same. every time i look in my suitcase, i feel tidy and pleased, and i know where everything is.

my only trouble is that a lot of my wardrobe is black (mostly tops) and they can be hard to distinguish from each other at a glance.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2392 on: August 11, 2015, 12:07:03 AM »
Two more books out.
I might add, books are a hard one for me too. But its gotten easier. I bagan reading through my stock ( inspired by another gauntlet ) and I've since read and donated most after . there's others I want to hang onto ( nonfiction type ) , but when I finish the "new" reads ( one more ), I will begin rereading the others  and we'll see... :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:11:02 AM by riverffashion »

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2393 on: August 11, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »

my only trouble is that a lot of my wardrobe is black (mostly tops) and they can be hard to distinguish from each other at a glance.

Miss madge, this is my trouble too! I used to differentiate between things by location - so long sleeves top at the back, short sleeve at the front. But now I've done everything by colour (darkest at back to lightest at front), I pull out a black top and have to check which it is and refold. I think I need to take Marie a bit less literally and go back to my old system :)

Last night I got rid of another body lotion. I also pulled out some SPF and decided I either need to use it or get rid of it. I was going to buy a new bottle of my favourite stuff - I've given myself a few days to test these ones and see if like them enough to use them. If I buy a new one they are going.

And I've just thrown out a load of paperwork. I have been resisting this a lot, but suddenly, today, it just clicked. I don't need it, I never refer to it, GONE!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2394 on: August 11, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
Not my house, but I provided a reason for my parents to clean out their garage! The garage needs some work, and to do some of it the old fridge which is being used as storage needs to be moved. As a late birthday present, I bought them a $15 shelving unit for the garage. Dad's put it together, and they're going to organize and properly dispose of a bunch of hazardous waste type stuff. Then the old fridge will go out entirely!

Then I'll go help fix the garage... and depending on what's left I might be able to get rid of more.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2395 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
I had a bunch of things in my donate pile that weren't worth selling.  I brought to a family reunion last weekend. Let all the kids go through it and gave some specific things to specific people. Got rid of everything! Was fun to watch the kids excited about things I haven't used in so long.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2396 on: August 11, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
Now that I've sold nearly all the collectible stuff that was worth selling, I'm moving on to photos. Today I've discarded 155 old photo prints. So many are blurry or duplicates, and I'm really culling the herd. When I get them down to a reasonable quantity, I'll scan them and discard most of the rest. It's a tiring process though. As Marie Kondo mentions in her book, processing the emotions surrounding your possessions is a big part of "tidying". And I can't think of many things that bring up memories the way old photographs do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:06:32 PM by Practical Magic »

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2397 on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
I recycled a TON of old school papers. It's almost painful how many pages of notes I went through during college, but at least it feels good recycling them. I need to go through my closet again because I know my tastes have changed and there's stuff I'll no longer wear. I refuse to buy new hangers, so it forces me to get rid of something else anytime I get a new item.

I also need to get rid of my Breyer horses. I was embarrassingly obsessed with horses as a kid so I have my collection leftover from that. I'm wondering how well they'll sell on Craigslist.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:10:47 PM by ClassyCat »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2398 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Two more books out.
I might add, books are a hard one for me too. But its gotten easier. I bagan reading through my stock ( inspired by another gauntlet ) and I've since read and donated most after . there's others I want to hang onto ( nonfiction type ) , but when I finish the "new" reads ( one more ), I will begin rereading the others  and we'll see... :)

Three more books out (excellent )

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2399 on: August 11, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »
Spent a whole morning without kids in the attic. There unfortunately is useful stuff up there like clothes that the kids will grow into. But managed to fill the car with things for the recycling centre -old toys, clothes,  books and kitchenware and took it straight there. Felt great and will do it again as soon as I can. I feel better that the items will get a second life. But they have languished in my attic far too long. About a quarter through the job so more work ahead.