Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850092 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2250 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:46 AM »
I've been used as a repository for stuff no one else wanted. Kondo says in her book that younger sisters often end up with lots of stuff they don't like because they get so many hand-me-downs--that's definitely the case in my family, just with things instead of clothes.

Kondo really helped me with this aspect of gifts - both being the recipient and the giver. As I've been decluttering, every so often I've thought, "I should give this to so and so!", and the book helped me realise, no, don't assuage my guilt by creating an obligation for someone else. Instead, I have thanked the item and given it to the charity shop - where someone can decide they want / need something and choose it for themselves.

As for gifts I've received, I asked myself "What was the giver's intention? To make me feel good? To fulfil an obligation?". If the intention was to make me feel good, and I don't like the item, I don't mind letting it go, because if that makes me feel better it is fulfilling their original intention. If their original intention was simply to fulfil a societal obligation (hostess gift, etc) I don't mind getting rid of it either, because it has fulfilled that purpose for them.

No-one was simply trying to give me an obligation - something I have to hang on to whether I like it or not, just so they could see I was using it. And actually, if they were, I'd have no compuction giving it away either because that's an unhealthy way to think of gifts you've given!

Since I've stopped shopping, and untangled my feelings about gifts allowing me to get rid of them, I am starting to believe Marie Kondo that I will only ever have to Tidy Up once! (That said, I've been at it for 7 months...)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2251 on: July 28, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
I'm very proud of myself here. There is nothing at my parents house that should be in mine.
Way to go!
There's lots of stuff at my parents house that doesn't fit in my current apartment, but even if I had a bigger house, I still wouldn't want it.

Better get rid of it now, or I'll have to sort it all out when my parents die or move to a nursing home.

Finally got rid of a nice chunk of my stuff at my parents' house today.
Lots more to do though...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2252 on: July 28, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »
Cleared out an Entropy Pile* of paperwork.  Pretty excited as this one has been around collecting items for a while.

Looked for a CD (we rarely play them) and it wasn't in the case.  Discovered DH has a lot of his CDs still in his 200 disk player.  Moving with the CDs inside the device still pissed it off.  I was excited we'd get rid of a piece of equipment we haven't used in over 1.5 years, but he did manage to get it working again after opening it up to extract the stuck CDs.  Reorganized most of the CDs.  Didn't get rid of any, but it's loads better even if only organized and not decluttered.

*Coined by a coworker an Entropy Pile refers to the pile of stuff that just grows and collects stuff as time passes.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2253 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
Such inspiring progress in the last week!  Reading what you are up to helps keep me motivated.

Yesterday I got in the car with a bunch of stuff to be donated and I thought "Gosh! I used to throw money around!  What a waste!"

I wasn't feeling like attacking the paper yesterday so I went from room to room checking for things on the floor and putting things away.  I also started on the books with Marie Kondo urging me on.  We had so many books we had not read at all or even peeked at for more than a nano second.  I have let go of a lot of books this week.

Today someone came by and said that our house is looking fantastically clear (and that is with one room full of paper crapola yet to be dealt with).  I love the feedback that the shifts are obvious to others and not just to us.

I am looking with a more discerning eye and wanting more and more clear surfaces and empty floor showing.  No more framed pictures on the floor waiting to be hung, no more accumulation of things just out of sight behind the bookcase or on the other side of a bed.  No more things falling to the closet floor and staying there for months.

Everything that is broken is going into the basement to be pondered all at once. 

The sentimental paper stacks are haunting me.  I think I may have to sort through all of it and then go through it which is double the work I suppose.  In a way though it is like the Konmari method of categorising clothing by tops, pants, dresses, etc before dealing with them.  Right now I am avoiding going into that room.  I am thinking photos in one pile, things from other people (old letters, cards etc) in another, old school papers in another, poetry I wrote in my twenties in another pile, class notes from seminars ( I know), journals...

Can I trust technology enough to donate the cds I have knowing that their contents are safe on my computer and back up hard drive?  What do you all do?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2254 on: July 28, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »
I kept my cds because they are one of the few things that is very sentimental to me. I am a punk so I met most of my current friends at the shows where I bought the cds and the lyrics have guided me through pivotal points in my life. I got rid of any I didn't like or any "burnt" cds and boxed the rest up on a trunk which doubles as my bedside table. It was the right choice for me. I still listen to all this music however I use the iPod as the playing device for ease of use. I also have some vynyl and this is displayed in my lounge. 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2255 on: July 28, 2015, 10:19:31 PM »
I think you can rely on digital though. Just make sure you have a back up hardrive with copies. These are very small (the size of a paperback) and about $60 and would enable you to get rid of a lot of clutter if the cds themselves are not sentimental but merely functional.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2256 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »
I added a dress to the charity bag today. As part of the selfie challenge I am wearing some clothes I don't wear often as soon as I put it on I knew why... Looks great but so uncomfortable!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2257 on: July 29, 2015, 05:24:39 AM »
Melody, Thanks for the your thoughts on CDs and digital.  I am tempted to toss the whole lot.

Nancy

« Reply #2258 on: July 29, 2015, 05:34:12 AM »
Great progress, wintersun! In addition to saving on the hard drive, I store my music on cloud drives.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2259 on: July 29, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
Okay, I read the Kondo book and then Kondoed our dresser. I blame all of you.

Ha it got to you too! Her method works wonders tho doesn't it:)

windupnerd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2260 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
I'm throwing down the gauntlet for myself here.  I really want to work on decluttering our apartment.  Here are some of my goals:

1. Go through winter clothing and reduce it to two storage tubs (donate or throw out the rest)
2. Post clothing items I have been meaning to sell online
3. Organize all papers on computer desk (throw out/shred anything unneeded)

This is just a start for me.  My goal is to get rid of enough "stuff" to allow us to find a slightly smaller and cheaper apartment when our lease is up at the end of April.

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2261 on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
HOLY CRAP you guys!! Did you know that H&M takes ALL textiles?!? Including clothes, socks, sheets and even flip-flops?? If you want to double check anything the customer service # is 855-466-7467. (Like, I asked about pillows and they said they don't take the stuffing.) They do this at EVERY LOCATION! Sorry for all of the yelling, this is just completely revolutionizing my guilt factor. They might not be the only ones either; its in conjunction with something called I:CO which also has affiliate links for Levi, Puma and some other stores.
I HAD to share. Alright, off to the mall - and not to buy anything either!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2262 on: July 29, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
I added a dress to the charity bag today. As part of the selfie challenge I am wearing some clothes I don't wear often as soon as I put it on I knew why... Looks great but so uncomfortable!!!

This is a great idea for me too. I don't have very many clothes compared to many, but there are still lots that I never wear. I should wear something new each day and remember why! Then donate!

Quinn

« Reply #2263 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »
HOLY CRAP you guys!! Did you know that H&M takes ALL textiles?!? Including clothes, socks, sheets and even flip-flops?? If you want to double check anything the customer service # is 855-466-7467. (Like, I asked about pillows and they said they don't take the stuffing.) They do this at EVERY LOCATION! Sorry for all of the yelling, this is just completely revolutionizing my guilt factor. They might not be the only ones either; its in conjunction with something called I:CO which also has affiliate links for Levi, Puma and some other stores.
I HAD to share. Alright, off to the mall - and not to buy anything either!

Doesn't goodwill do that too? I've read before that they take all textiles (even if damaged, etc) and they sort them according to their condition for recycling or for sale at their stores. Although maybe there are more H&M stores closer to you and it's more convenient?

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2264 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »
Okay, I read the Kondo book and then Kondoed our dresser. I blame all of you.

Do you love that it looks like a box of jelly beans now? I am ridiculously gleeful every time I open a drawer, post KonMari.  :-D

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2265 on: July 29, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
I spent a couple quality hours decluttering the garage today and now I have a carful of donations and recycling to drop off. There is much more to do...I think I just need to attack it Kondo style and stop with the baby steps! My only holdback is that we have rental houses and will be putting a couple on the market in the spring. So here's my goal: if I don't use up the supplies during the prep of those two houses, they will be gotten rid of!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2266 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
More stuff to be donated today- an illustration I don't like (was a gift ), hangers (because my wardrobe keeps getting smaller!), fancy silk rose ribbon, a couple charms, quilting ruler, skirt I made 16 years ago, stack of random tarot cards , all the elastic and velco in sewing box, lid to cooking pot I don't hav anymore. There's always more! 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2267 on: July 30, 2015, 05:29:50 AM »
So it’s about a month since I read and acted on the Kondo book, I thought people might enjoy an update. If not, just scroll ahead, this might be long!

The biggest revelation is that I am STILL folding all of my (non-hanging) clothes including underwear! She said to give it a try, and I did… and I really like it. I don’t even ball socks anymore - they take up less space folded and I do feel it’s better for the elastic. I never thought I would be this person, but I actually enjoy putting things away neatly now!

I thought I would give up on the underwear, and also start just throwing my loungewear into its dedicated drawer. But I haven’t. Each night, I take off what I was wearing, and fold / roll it and put it away. This is huge. I used to just step out of it and leave it on the floor. About two years ago I cleared out a whole drawer just for loungewear, and got in the habit of just throwing it in there, all balled up. I hardly recognise myself. 

I cleared out so much stuff from the bottom of my hanging area I can see the carpet, and I hadn’t realised how bad it looked with stuff crammed under there. Now the two boxes left, despite being attractive, are annoying me, I want to see the carpet! Must find a home for them. I’ve also cut down my clothes a lot, so having ample hanging space is really nice - easier to get stuff out and put it away without wrinkling.

We had unseasonably cold weather on Monday, so I pulled down my one remaining bag of ‘off-season’ clothes. Turns out there were only 6 items in there, so I have now incorporated them into my hanging and folding space. I never would have thought I could have got ALL my clothes in - I used to pack away 4 or 5 large bags each season. Glad to never have to mess with that changeover again.

As for people saying that they felt they had more to wear after clearing out - I definitely don’t feel that way. There was stuff I didn’t like but was wearing for variety, and now it’s gone I feel like I am repeating outfits a lot, and need some new things for work. But I am enjoying my clothes more, and feel like the trade-off is worth it.

A few things that struck me about the book that I didn’t like and haven’t tried: I don’t empty my handbag each day and put it away. It has a ‘place’ where i put it when I get home, and I keep it clear of receipts and things, and empty it fully regularly, but moving things in and out each evening and morning when the contents is always the same seemed silly. Did anyone try this?

I also don’t nest handbags by occasion, as she suggests. To me, this goes against most of her other advice, which is not to hide things away where you forget about them. I have a shelf where all my bags live out in the open so I can see them. Now that I’ve weeded a few out it’s much more attractive.

I’m glad I bought the book. I thought I was doing well before (about 1000 things out of the house since January IIRCC) but I was losing steam and finding it harder and harder to find things to get rid of. I’m now up to 1400, so it’s definitely been a huge boost to decluttering, and that’s even more impressive results when you consider I’d got rid of all the easy stuff before reading the book. Thanks Marie!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2268 on: July 30, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »
I went thru the top (papers) and bottom:(mementos) drawers and tossed about  a dozen each  papers and photographs.

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2269 on: July 30, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Doesn't goodwill do that too? I've read before that they take all textiles (even if damaged, etc) and they sort them according to their condition for recycling or for sale at their stores.
How did I not know this?? I'm going to check with my Salvation Army. I live close to everything so it's not so much the driving distance as much as will it help a charity or not. Thanks for the tip!

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2270 on: July 31, 2015, 01:12:43 AM »
I've really been struggling lately. I've recently moved, and I got rid of a lot of things, and most everything else was boxed and bagged up. I've been at my new place for a month and most of it still is except for things I've pulled out. My room has a futon and is stacked with all the boxes and bags and now all the stuff I've pulled out has no where to go so it's a real mess.

I've been wanting to de-clutter even more to get rid of stuff (especially since I'm moving again) but every time I start, there's just very little room to pull things out so I just mentally shut down and never started.

This is what helped: Deciding to tackle the clothes first. I decided to use an infographic I had pinned on pinterest as my guide for a capsule wardrobe. I don't usually like other people's formulas (one dress, three skirts, etc) but it's helping me to focus. If I decide my wardrobe should have two dresses and one skirt later, I'll do that.

Before I would look at the clothes and think of how to best convince myself to get rid of it. Now I find it's been much easier for me to process clothes thinking about what I want to keep in the capsule vs what I want to get rid of. I yanked everything out of everywhere I could find and started going through it all. I've filled up some of the categories, but in order to cull things quickly, I'm not making final decisions yet. So in one part of my closet I have the recommended amounts of clothes, but at the other end, I'm hanging up what I call "contenders" to possibly replace the first things I've picked. Once I've gotten rid of the fluff and excess, I'll take a closer look at what works the most with other items and gives me the most flexibility.

I've also decided not to make final decisions on accessories and jewelry and shoes until the other items are decided, so I've put them to the side.

Here's a hangup I have that I'm hoping some of you can help me with:

What about all my camisoles/shapewear?

I love me some tummy-tucking, lump-smoothing shapewear, although I've had trouble finding ones that work with most outfits that don't have some kind of problem (like rolling up at the ends, or being to difficult to get on/off or not fitting right, or being to painful to deal with etc), so I have lots around. How much shapewear do you allow?

I also have a lot of camisoles, mostly for layering and modesty because I hate having my cleavage showing or worrying about shirts opening up when bending over, not to mention showing my underwear on the back end. I just hate having to worry about adjusting my clothes if I'm living my life outside of standing up straight and sitting at a desk. But I have way too many and I don't really want them as part of my capsule wardrobe. I'm thinking that what I should do is just start having stricter standards for necklines and shirt lengths so camisoles aren't necessary, but I still worry that I won't be able to have a working wardrobe without any. Anyone deal with this?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2271 on: July 31, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »

I love me some tummy-tucking, lump-smoothing shapewear, although I've had trouble finding ones that work with most outfits that don't have some kind of problem (like rolling up at the ends, or being to difficult to get on/off or not fitting right, or being to painful to deal with etc), so I have lots around. How much shapewear do you allow?

I also have a lot of camisoles, mostly for layering and modesty because I hate having my cleavage showing or worrying about shirts opening up when bending over, not to mention showing my underwear on the back end. I just hate having to worry about adjusting my clothes if I'm living my life outside of standing up straight and sitting at a desk. But I have way too many and I don't really want them as part of my capsule wardrobe. I'm thinking that what I should do is just start having stricter standards for necklines and shirt lengths so camisoles aren't necessary, but I still worry that I won't be able to have a working wardrobe without any. Anyone deal with this?
Here's my opinion on this.

The shapewear.  Try on every piece, and if there's something wrong with how it fits, get rid of it.  I think properly fitting shapewear can be great in a warddrobe, but poorly fitting will just make you frustrated.

Camisoles.  I like them personally.  Even without gapping, layering can be a good look in many outfits.  You'll need to cast a critical eye on what you have and decide if you really need and want the ones you have.  Maybe in the future though you can select new tops with an eye for ones that don't gap anywhere and stay put when you bend over.  But if that's not the sort of top you want, I don't see anything wrong with having maybe 5 camisoles.  5 will take you through a week, more if you wear more than once.

Nancy

« Reply #2272 on: July 31, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
Nice update, advicist! I've also been folding my clothes and putting them away, as opposed to hanging them over the back of a chair (gasp!). With all the space in my drawers, it's super easy.

I gave away all of my extra yarn and knitting supplies, but I've slowed down on decluttering. Need to get back to it and finish.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2273 on: July 31, 2015, 08:56:16 AM »
I've really been struggling lately. I've recently moved, and I got rid of a lot of things, and most everything else was boxed and bagged up. I've been at my new place for a month and most of it still is except for things I've pulled out. My room has a futon and is stacked with all the boxes and bags and now all the stuff I've pulled out has no where to go so it's a real mess.

I've been wanting to de-clutter even more to get rid of stuff (especially since I'm moving again) but every time I start, there's just very little room to pull things out so I just mentally shut down and never started.

This is what helped: Deciding to tackle the clothes first. I decided to use an infographic I had pinned on pinterest as my guide for a capsule wardrobe. I don't usually like other people's formulas (one dress, three skirts, etc) but it's helping me to focus. If I decide my wardrobe should have two dresses and one skirt later, I'll do that.

Before I would look at the clothes and think of how to best convince myself to get rid of it. Now I find it's been much easier for me to process clothes thinking about what I want to keep in the capsule vs what I want to get rid of. I yanked everything out of everywhere I could find and started going through it all. I've filled up some of the categories, but in order to cull things quickly, I'm not making final decisions yet. So in one part of my closet I have the recommended amounts of clothes, but at the other end, I'm hanging up what I call "contenders" to possibly replace the first things I've picked. Once I've gotten rid of the fluff and excess, I'll take a closer look at what works the most with other items and gives me the most flexibility.

I've also decided not to make final decisions on accessories and jewelry and shoes until the other items are decided, so I've put them to the side.

Yeah, get rid of the shapeware that doesn't work. It's not useful, so why keep it?

About the stuff in boxes - you're getting by without it. When you do unpack it, that means there's a pretty good chance that you don't actually need that stuff. If you start unpacking with a list (mental or otherwise) of things that you've been looking for, keep those items and seriously consider disposing of other items in the box.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2274 on: July 31, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Great update, theadvicist! 

I am more and more motivated by my FIRE plan and the thought of moving across the Atlantic in a couple of years (and downsizing to 650 square feet).  I brought 4 items to the consignment store today since I remembered that they take home stuff: two decorative bowls, one glass salad bowl and a glass jug.  All large and heavy and not practical to move.  I was thinking about listing them on Craigslist but I think I have a much better chance of selling them through consignment.

Trying to sell a few other items through Craigslist and Facebook tag sale group but with no luck :-( 

Also trying to resist temptation to buy new clothes - that is definitely my biggest weakness...  I also need to gather the clothing I put aside for consignment and bring it in.  It's fall/winter stuff that doesn't fit any more.  I set it all aside in the spring but the store only took summer items then, so I will bring it in in the next couple of weeks.  Time to do another sweep through the closet, I think.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2275 on: July 31, 2015, 05:32:43 PM »

I recommend Marie Kondos book . her method is incredibly helpful for many.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2276 on: July 31, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »
Got rid of four more dresses today. Two were too small and one too big. Despite being more or less a constant clothing size it seems my clothes can't keep up with changes in body shape. One had a high neckline which tugged uncomfortably. I have no idea why I bought it I hate anything restrictive around my neck :-( I have a few more maybes to go through in my wardrobe (I am slow at this, I only want to consider a few items at a time). My wardrobe is looking much more organised and less stuffed :-)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2277 on: July 31, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »

I also have a lot of camisoles, mostly for layering and modesty because I hate having my cleavage showing or worrying about shirts opening up when bending over, not to mention showing my underwear on the back end.

Get rid of shapewear that doesn't work for you.  Rolling & pain would be a flag to me that you may want to consider going one size up if that is possible (I see you're tall).  For camisoles, I'd probably set a target number to have - probably 8 (7 to wear, one to wear when washing) and then be ruthless.

To help you with the capsule wardrobe, since you don't have much space to bring it all out, I'd suggest an excel spreadsheet - tops across the top, bottoms along the side.  Put an X or colour in the combinations that work and you like.  Start with the work pieces.  Then try on the contenders for your capsule wardrobe.  That may help you be more comfortable around making final decisions instead of putting it off until you've gotten rid of the "fluff".  Being sure about identifying the "fluff" can be difficult when you haven't figured out your core capsule.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2278 on: July 31, 2015, 11:36:54 PM »
I am down to about 160 items excluding gym wear and sleep wear and underwear (and accessories). This feels big enough to cover every conceivable situation and allow for heaps of variety but small enough that it all gets regular use over the course of a year. I suspect it could go smaller but I am not pushing for a for a capsule wardrobe, I like and wear all 160 so why not let natural attrition gradually do the work for me.it all fits in my one Ikea flat pack wardrobe. Obviously as I pull out things that don't work I will get rid of them but I think I have done nearly all my decluttering. Only a few more maybes to consider.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2279 on: August 02, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
Man. I'm making progress but very slowly.

Sometimes, I feel like my mind has this crystal clear mentality when I go through things. I realize I don't need or want them, and will be unlikely to need it in the future. The clarity is tangible and I can throw away/donate things with little or no detachment that I've previously agonized over.

However, it doesn't last long, and by the end of a clearing session I'll be making much less progress. "I know this is just one black sock and I've folded and put away 20 other pairs, but I'm SURE I'll find another one while I'm cleaning up..."

It's ok, I guess, because it just means I need to keep going and keep making progress. I kind of wish I could have a professional like Peter Walsh or Marie Kondo help me out. I have both of their books on audible. I've listened to Kondo's three different times, and am going through Walsh's now. While listening to these books can be motivating, it's not the same as someone being right there looking at YOUR stuff with you and pushing you as you begin to falter at the tough times.

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #2280 on: August 02, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »
Cleaning up today. Aside from the usual tidying and washing, I plan to get much more stuff out of the house to either give away to a charity or toss in the recycle bin.

As much as I've cleaned through cabinets and closets and drawers, it amazes me how much stuff there still is. Miles to go!

NDQ

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2281 on: August 02, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
This thread has been an inspiration!   I like to think I am organized, just because everything usually has a place.  Problem is, there is too much "everything".   I am working on editing my clothes (and husband's too), and so far have 3 bags for donation.  The closets are already looking better, and I'm not done yet.   I tried the Kondo method, and love how the dresser drawers look.  Hubby hasn't looked in his yet - I'm waiting for the WTF?  : )

I have been avoiding cleaning up the garage - over the winter, things just got tossed out there because it was so freaking cold. (-30C).  Now it's +30C with 80% humidity, and I am still making excuses because it's too hot.   I have resolved to throw out/sort/put away properly at least one thing every time I go in the garage.  I won't get hot and sweaty, and by the time it cools down and I can really clean up out there comfortably, there will be less to clean.

I had never heard of Marie Kondo - thanks to everyone for posting and getting me to get off my butt and clean up.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2282 on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »

Sometimes, I feel like my mind has this crystal clear mentality when I go through things. I realize I don't need or want them, and will be unlikely to need it in the future. The clarity is tangible and I can throw away/donate things with little or no detachment that I've previously agonized over.

However, it doesn't last long, and by the end of a clearing session I'll be making much less progress. "I know this is just one black sock and I've folded and put away 20 other pairs, but I'm SURE I'll find another one while I'm cleaning up..."

It's ok, I guess, because it just means I need to keep going and keep making progress. I kind of wish I could have a professional like Peter Walsh or Marie Kondo help me out. I have both of their books on audible. I've listened to Kondo's three different times, and am going through Walsh's now. While listening to these books can be motivating, it's not the same as someone being right there looking at YOUR stuff with you and pushing you as you begin to falter at the tough times.

I don't know where u live, but I'm in NorCal USA and I do organizing & decluttering as a side hustle.
I another note, I think you can do it, it'll get easier to discern over time. And after the major purge of everything, you will see more later , all the time.
Also, it sounds like u are familiar with Marie Kondos method. But hav u done a thourogh and go round with it? If not, I and countless others hav had excellent progress with her method.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:41:46 AM by riverffashion »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2283 on: August 02, 2015, 09:44:49 AM »
I am doing several other gauntlets & one is to read through my bookshelf. This is really helping to lighten the book load:) . I read through several, but also donated some straight away because they had lost their lure.
Must mention, I did previously go through my books with the konmarie method and decreased by About 50%.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2284 on: August 02, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
TL:DR - less is more when grocery shopping

I'm continuing to eat the contents of my cupboard. I've got three weeks until my move.

This effort may shift the way I think about food.  I grew up in a large fammily and was very involved in cooking and shopping for 7 to 10 people.  I've been living alone or with a room mate for almost ten years.  I didn't think I really stockpiled, except a few items that were hard to find rurally. I like to keep around basic ingredients to a few things I enjoy, spices, baking supplies.  I've been consciously eating cupboard food for 6 months and I STILL have things left!  I have bought some things of course and I've had a productive little bucket garden. I like having a few options around.  That makes it easy to cook at home.  But this process of having much less in the pantry and buying as needed is blowing my mind. 

Perhaps it's even more about having less in the freezer and fridge.  I spent 6 months with just a mini fridge.  I bought meat when I planned to cook, at the left overs.  Always knew what was in the fridge.  Didn't have extra condiments hanging around.

Why did I tie hundreds of dollars up in food that I didn't eat? That I didn't even know I had, except that the cupboard was full.

It's ok to have empty space in the cupboard!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2285 on: August 02, 2015, 11:32:36 AM »
TL:DR - less is more when grocery shopping

I'm continuing to eat the contents of my cupboard. I've got three weeks until my move.

This effort may shift the way I think about food.  I grew up in a large fammily and was very involved in cooking and shopping for 7 to 10 people.  I've been living alone or with a room mate for almost ten years.  I didn't think I really stockpiled, except a few items that were hard to find rurally. I like to keep around basic ingredients to a few things I enjoy, spices, baking supplies.  I've been consciously eating cupboard food for 6 months and I STILL have things left!  I have bought some things of course and I've had a productive little bucket garden. I like having a few options around.  That makes it easy to cook at home.  But this process of having much less in the pantry and buying as needed is blowing my mind. 

Perhaps it's even more about having less in the freezer and fridge.  I spent 6 months with just a mini fridge.  I bought meat when I planned to cook, at the left overs.  Always knew what was in the fridge.  Didn't have extra condiments hanging around.

Why did I tie hundreds of dollars up in food that I didn't eat? That I didn't even know I had, except that the cupboard was full.

It's ok to have empty space in the cupboard!

Excellent progress!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2286 on: August 02, 2015, 12:49:58 PM »

Maybe for you, it works better to do it in short bursts? I know for me, it does, especially when there are complicated emotions involved. I couldn't possibly go through all my clothing at once, for example. I did the Kondo method last week, but I limited it to one small category--the shirts that were hanging in my closet. Shirts in the bureau didn't get considered, nor did blazers or other things in the closet. By keeping it small, I was able to really sort through all the feelings attached to pieces of clothing without getting exhausted. I was able to get rid of several shirts (and a blazer) that I hated to wear but that I hadn't been able to discard.

I also noted a few items that I hadn't worn in a long time but wasn't sure about. These are on a list called "wear it and see." Yes, an actual list written down. :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2287 on: August 02, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
I am doing several other gauntlets & one is to read through my bookshelf. This is really helping to lighten the book load:) . I read through several, but also donated some straight away because they had lost their lure.
Must mention, I did previously go through my books with the konmarie method and decreased by About 50%.

Two more books out & a stack of papers .

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2288 on: August 02, 2015, 03:20:51 PM »
Got rid of one more purse.  It is small potatoes, but it does seem to be adding up. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2289 on: August 02, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
My in-laws are talking about downsizing, and they've already asked for my help decluttering.

I have mixed feelings.

It's excellent they want to declutter (they need to whether or not they move).

It's challenging when my MiL asks for help because she wants 'objective' support, but then gets very easily offended if anything I do/say implies the home is messy (e.g. if I point out it would be easier to vaccum a certain corner of the lounge room if it weren't full of baskets of dusty magazines).

My BiL moved out and left behind three-quarters of his possessions, so he will resent not being able to use his parents' place for storage. My FiL will refuse to toss anything, not because he's a hoarder but he's just scatter-brained and won't devote more than 12 seconds of mental energy to the task

And they're already making excuses.

They haven't even listed their house for sale but I suggested they could start now, could play the Minimalist Game (toss one thing on the first of the month, two things on the second, etc). MiL is off work on sick leave for the next two months as she recovers from an operation. Under doctor's orders, she must stay off her feet, so she said she can't possibly start now.

By my thinking, she has two months at home and not much to do. There is no reason she can't have her husband bring her drawers, tubs, jewellery boxes, etc,  to sort through while she stays seated. But she just makes excuses so she can just get me to help next time we visit.

So we're in for the long haul.

On the upside, I started another round of the Minimalist Game on Friday (first of the month), and put together a whole bag of donations on the weekend to get me started.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2290 on: August 02, 2015, 06:27:27 PM »
More stuff sold on eBay this week.  Took five packages to USPS on Saturday morning, then sold a pair of hiking boots purchased for a job I left in 2009 (yes, that means they hadn't been worn in 6 years), and just now sold a saddle carrier I've always hated because it is was way too bulky.  Have also been filling another tub to go to the thrift store - old printer, plus clothes that I felt guilty getting rid of before because I only wore them once or twice, but was never really comfortable or happy wearing.  Realized yesterday that I'm very close to being able to park my hamper inside the closet instead of out in the middle of the room.

I also finally got around to dyeing a couple pairs of white breeches with dye I bought like a year ago.  Was probably procrastinating out of fear of a poor result, but they turned out pretty good, although one pair is kind of flesh-toned now, so it will look like I'm riding around with no pants!

Left today for a work trip, but I have a hit list of items to put on eBay and Craigslist when I get home.  I need to figure out what to do with the shop next.  We have a 12x16' shop that houses our riding mower (I know, face punch me), tools and materials.  Then we have a 6x8' tin shed that has random crap plus the garden tiller and push mower.  If I could go through and decrapify both, everything would fit nicely and I could quit thinking about replacing the tin shed with a bigger garden shed, which would save us a solid $1500.

jordanread

« Reply #2291 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
The printer comment above just reminded me of something that I don't think has been mentioned. Goodwill will no longer take CRT monitors, but up to 19" can go to Best buy for recycling for free, at least here.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2292 on: August 02, 2015, 10:52:51 PM »

I don't know where u live, but I'm in NorCal USA and I do organizing & decluttering as a side hustle.
I another note, I think you can do it, it'll get easier to discern over time. And after the major purge of everything, you will see more later , all the time.
Also, it sounds like u are familiar with Marie Kondos method. But hav u done a thourogh and go round with it? If not, I and countless others hav had excellent progress with her method.
Good luck!

I don't know what's stopping me from doing a complete "thorough" go-round with Marie Kondo's method. I think it's because she recommends diving in for a full weekend and getting it completely done, and long bouts of de-cluttering aren't working for me. I am using other tidbits from her book. I think her book has helped with getting me into the right mindset when it comes to having too many things. I don't stay in the mindset, but I at least know what it feels like now.

Also, because my room is so crowded, I don't feel like I can actually and adequately spread things out to take a good look. The existing clutter makes it difficult for me to process. Maybe my current roommates won't mind if I commandeer the living room to stack stuff I'm not ready to go through or maybe I could take all of my current clothes out there and spread things around as I'm trying to get rid of them....

I'm not close enough to you unfortunately, unless you're FIRE already and feel like taking a trip a couple of states over. All of my current earthly possessions (- bike and car) are in my tiny bedroom. I think it's like 8' x 10' and the place I'll be moving into is like 9' x 12'. I don't have any furniture or dressers yet because I still want to get rid of half my things. Plus, my brother is actually going to build me some custom furniture for the new place. I want it to look nice and sleek and not at all cluttery.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #2293 on: August 02, 2015, 10:58:07 PM »
I don't know what's stopping me from doing a complete "thorough" go-round with Marie Kondo's method. I think it's because she recommends diving in for a full weekend and getting it completely done, and long bouts of de-cluttering aren't working for me. I am using other tidbits from her book. I think her book has helped with getting me into the right mindset when it comes to having too many things. I don't stay in the mindset, but I at least know what it feels like now.

It's OK, actually, she doesn't say you have to do it in a single weekend. Or at least, that's not my interpretation. She does say to do it all at once, but I take that to mean that the process should have a beginning and an end, not that the time between the beginning and the end should be as short as possible. I think her intent is that decluttering shouldn't be something that's perpetually on your chore list, like cleaning the gutters or changing your oil; rather, it should be something you do only once and not again. But that doesn't mean you can't take whatever time with it that you need.

Good luck!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2294 on: August 03, 2015, 03:22:14 AM »

It's OK, actually, she doesn't say you have to do it in a single weekend. Or at least, that's not my interpretation. She does say to do it all at once, but I take that to mean that the process should have a beginning and an end, not that the time between the beginning and the end should be as short as possible. I think her intent is that decluttering shouldn't be something that's perpetually on your chore list, like cleaning the gutters or changing your oil; rather, it should be something you do only once and not again. But that doesn't mean you can't take whatever time with it that you need.

Good luck!
Maybe you could try one zone at a time. And zone doesn't have to equal bedroom it could equal one box under your bed, one shelf in your wardrobe, all of your shoes etc. This is how I have been approaching my decluttering and it seems to be working well. I do tend to revisit after the initial cull, I think seeing progress spurs me on to get rid of more.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #2295 on: August 03, 2015, 06:01:02 AM »
Great to see how everyone here is tackling their stuff, I am impressed! Having a hard time getting rid of stuff myself, especially clothes and books.

Clothes: I do not outgrow them, they are good quality, and they are still mystyle, and I still like to buy something new every now and again, so my clothes collection just keeps expanding. I still have the same size as 25 years ago and still have some nice quality items from that time that I do not want to get rid of. I am now at the point that I will have to do the "one in, one out" policy if I buy something new, which has prevented me from buying new stuff for the past year. I still wear everything on a regular basis. Also a difficult point: souvenir/band t-shirts that are hardly worn but I want to keep for sentimental reasons but this is one stack of approximately 20 shirts so I am not going to worry over them. Still wondering what to do with 25 pairs of socks given away for free on airlines. Not good quality but good enough for wearing/washing 4 or 5 times before falling apart. Not sure a thrift store would be happy with them, as they are such poor quality. They look lovely stacked the Marie Kondo way but as I never wear them (no socks or high quality hiking socks when hiking), I should absolutely get rid of them. Note to self: leave on airplane in future, even though free socks appeal to my frugal mindset.

Books: I love re-reading books and in the past was very choosy when buying books, so the majority of what I have I do not want to get rid of. However I now have 7 bookcases full and also need to start applying "one in, one out". To soften the blow I will just move a couple of boxes of books to the attic, and decide on them later. Not true de-cluttering but hey, books!

I have a very limited amount of knick-knacks, and most of the ones left I have been given when I was young and they hold sentimental value. Everything without sentimental value has been given away to thrift stores by now so I am quite OK on that front.

I would welcome all tips on how to sort/store DIY tools. I have my electric tools in small cases, neatly labelled and stacked on shelves, but  I have a ton of screwdrivers-not-part-of-a-boxed-set, hammers, tape measures, screws, saws, pliers, plugs, hooks, sandpaper, paintbrushes, electric plugs and wiring etc. and I have not yet found the perfect way of sorting them. I have no garage so everything has to fit into Ikea Pax cupboards.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2296 on: August 03, 2015, 06:44:18 AM »
Kondo does say "all at once" means a house would take around 6 months.

When she says to get it done in one sitting I interpret her as meaning to put aside a set amount of (manageable for you) stuff (such as all your tops or all your winter gear), go throught it all without taking a break and then finish tidying up and then afterwards go do something else, rather than do a little, leave a pile for later and thus ending up tidying the same pile for a longer amount of time. The time stretch (at least for me) makes it feel like The Stuff is taking over and so I'd rather cram it all back inside the closet to never have to see it, ever again (until next round of tidying...). My two cents on the concept.

The "pile at parents house" has been my challenge this summer. An old bisycle and several boxes of old cartoons is now removed (sold). I still need to sort through several boxes of old clothes. Will only save hand-made items that may realisticly be used by a child today. Some of those items, while lovely, are not practical for actual use.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2297 on: August 03, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »
Kondo does say that everything should take no more than 6 months, so she's not suggesting the entire house get done in a weekend.  She suggests zones (e.g. clothes, or even just pants if "clothes" isn't manageable).  I think her biggest caveat to that is that you want to make sure you have every last bit of that item in the area when you go through it.  So if you are doing pants, you need to have every single pair, not all of them except the 4 that are in the wash and that one pair you keep in your car and the random pair on the floor of the bathroom.  When you do pants, you must do *all* pants.  When you do toiletries, you need to gather all of them in one space, rather than only doing the once in the main bath but not the powder room and the extra you keep tucked in a cabinet. 

We continue to purge, donate, and sell.  The move is coming up and we are beginning to dump all our 220v appliances.  Treadmill and transformers sold, bringing in $200.  I have a few asks out to friends, but by the end of the week everything else will be listed on the various Facebook yard sale groups for the areas. 

Husband worked on paperwork yesterday and tossed a ton and organized the rest.  In the process of moving stuff around into various piles for the move (not all our stuff is going to one place), I discovered that I can't find the lid to my 110v crockpot.  It's been sitting in the basement for 2.5 years while we live in 220v land, waiting for our return to the States.  In the past, I'd have held on to it, imagining the lid would turn up eventually.  And it might.  But it isn't worth it.  Out it goes, and I'll buy a new one when we are back in the land of 110v, as soon as I find one in a thrift store. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:30:10 AM by Villanelle »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2298 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:37 AM »
Great to see how everyone here is tackling their stuff, I am impressed! Having a hard time getting rid of stuff myself, especially clothes and books.

Clothes: I do not outgrow them, they are good quality, and they are still mystyle, and I still like to buy something new every now and again, so my clothes collection just keeps expanding. I still have the same size as 25 years ago and still have some nice quality items from that time that I do not want to get rid of. I am now at the point that I will have to do the "one in, one out" policy if I buy something new, which has prevented me from buying new stuff for the past year. I still wear everything on a regular basis. Also a difficult point: souvenir/band t-shirts that are hardly worn but I want to keep for sentimental reasons but this is one stack of approximately 20 shirts so I am not going to worry over them. Still wondering what to do with 25 pairs of socks given away for free on airlines. Not good quality but good enough for wearing/washing 4 or 5 times before falling apart. Not sure a thrift store would be happy with them, as they are such poor quality. They look lovely stacked the Marie Kondo way but as I never wear them (no socks or high quality hiking socks when hiking), I should absolutely get rid of them. Note to self: leave on airplane in future, even though free socks appeal to my frugal mindset.

Books: I love re-reading books and in the past was very choosy when buying books, so the majority of what I have I do not want to get rid of. However I now have 7 bookcases full and also need to start applying "one in, one out". To soften the blow I will just move a couple of boxes of books to the attic, and decide on them later. Not true de-cluttering but hey, books!

I have a very limited amount of knick-knacks, and most of the ones left I have been given when I was young and they hold sentimental value. Everything without sentimental value has been given away to thrift stores by now so I am quite OK on that front.

I would welcome all tips on how to sort/store DIY tools. I have my electric tools in small cases, neatly labelled and stacked on shelves, but  I have a ton of screwdrivers-not-part-of-a-boxed-set, hammers, tape measures, screws, saws, pliers, plugs, hooks, sandpaper, paintbrushes, electric plugs and wiring etc. and I have not yet found the perfect way of sorting them. I have no garage so everything has to fit into Ikea Pax cupboards.
Socks: I would try donating to a women's refuge. Some of these women having nothing but the clothes on their backs so the socks would likely be appreciated as it's not normally the sort of thing that would be donated as a used item.
Band t-shirts: why not wear them??? This is my weekend wardrobe. If you don't like the fit I can post instructions for turning them into cute tank tops. Also the memory of the concert is the sentimental thing, the tshirt only serves to remind you of the memory. If you aren't wearing it it's not serving that purpose.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2299 on: August 03, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »

Socks: I would try donating to a women's refuge. Some of these women having nothing but the clothes on their backs so the socks would likely be appreciated as it's not normally the sort of thing that would be donated as a used item.
Band t-shirts: why not wear them??? This is my weekend wardrobe. If you don't like the fit I can post instructions for turning them into cute tank tops. Also the memory of the concert is the sentimental thing, the tshirt only serves to remind you of the memory. If you aren't wearing it it's not serving that purpose.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!