Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850064 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2100 on: July 12, 2015, 07:04:55 PM »
I used to move every 2-3 years for about 15 years. I've been in the same house now for 7 years - and a purge is well overdue. This weekend was gangbusters for getting stuff out of the house. I took a giant carload of stuff to Goodwill (excess bedding, more clothing, hamper, storage boxes that now have nothing to hold). Came home and tackled my row of bookshelves (5 full width Billy bookshelves that go to the ceiling). Cut out all the contents from 2 of them. Took some books to the free little library. The rest are boxed up and ready to go to Goodwill or friends of the library. Can't wait to haul the actual bookshelves themselves OUT.

Organized my kitchen junk drawer.

My desk is piled w/ misc. crap right now that I pulled out of drawers and storage cabinets. Getting ready to go through that stuff and sort out what, if any, should stay and what should go.

Books have been a hang-up for me but I really did well - I would guess 200 or so books have been removed. I kept a lot of children's books because I have books that belonged to my grandmother, my parents, me, and now my children's books - and they are so treasured and we still take them down and look at them. I look forward to the 5th generation getting those books one day.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #2101 on: July 12, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
I read an article on the book, the Life-changing Magic, but there is still a long waiting list to borrow it from the library.
You can find the audio book on YouTube.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2102 on: July 12, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »
Bagged up a bag of books, a bag of DVDs and two bags of clothes yesterday for charity.

I've set aside some mugs and tea cups which I never use. They're cute, so I'm sure someone else will love them. Tonight or tomorrow night I'll wrap them carefully in bubble wrap so that they can be donated without causing me anxiety around breakage on the journey.

We also 'decluttered' yesterday by giving my nephew a huge pile of birthday presents, a month late. Obviously there was no real risk that we would accidentally keep them forever - we were just waiting until the next time we saw him - but the gifts were bulky and we're happy to have handed them over now. In the same vein, my deadline is midday Wednesday for getting some clothes bagged up and posted for return to an online shop. They're not bulky, but it needs to be done.

Right now my philosophy is that every little bit less we have to move to the next house is going to make a huge difference on the day. It's working!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2103 on: July 13, 2015, 06:18:29 AM »
I used to move every 2-3 years for about 15 years. I've been in the same house now for 7 years - and a purge is well overdue. This weekend was gangbusters for getting stuff out of the house. I took a giant carload of stuff to Goodwill (excess bedding, more clothing, hamper, storage boxes that now have nothing to hold). Came home and tackled my row of bookshelves (5 full width Billy bookshelves that go to the ceiling). Cut out all the contents from 2 of them. Took some books to the free little library. The rest are boxed up and ready to go to Goodwill or friends of the library. Can't wait to haul the actual bookshelves themselves OUT.

My desk is piled w/ misc. crap right now that I pulled out of drawers and storage cabinets. Getting ready to go through that stuff and sort out what, if any, should stay and what should go.

Books have been a hang-up for me but I really did well - I would guess 200 or so books have been removed. I kept a lot of children's books because I have books that belonged to my grandmother, my parents, me, and now my children's books - and they are so treasured and we still take them down and look at them. I look forward to the 5th generation getting those books one day.

You could see if a used book store near you has the Kondo book, and get in in exchange for some of your discards.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2104 on: July 13, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
Went through another box upstairs. One bag of paper recycling, one small trash bag. Found a lot of old papers and writing, diaries, letters. I've decided I may get rid of some of it. Dithering over old yearbooks. High school senior year, college one, sure, keep. But do I really need my 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, grade yearbooks? Putting those aside for now. I may send two good friends their letters (remember letters?!). They might enjoy reading them. Old love letters from past boyfriends, meh. I've been thinking as I sort, who would want this?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2105 on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »

You could see if a used book store near you has the Kondo book, and get in in exchange for some of your discards.

Got it from the library a couple weeks ago, read it in the weekend, and returned it. I am aiming to drag two bookshelves out this week - now empty and remove the one from my bedroom (which is 1/2 empty). Feels sooooo good to get rid of this stuff.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2106 on: July 13, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »

Got it from the library a couple weeks ago, read it in the weekend, and returned it. I am aiming to drag two bookshelves out this week - now empty and remove the one from my bedroom (which is 1/2 empty). Feels sooooo good to get rid of this stuff.
Books were the best category for me because we were able to get rid of a large, ugly bookshelf out of our dining room.  We also reorganized all of our books and media (CDs, DVDs, video games), so our dining room and living room are so much more organized.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2107 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »

I'm just wondering if your dad's stamp collection was neatly organized in binders or something? I have a bag of loose stamps (and some may even be postmarked) from the 60s-80s. Not sure if a dealer would want to look at my mess of a collection.

From my research- loose stamps are less likely to see for nearly as much as organized ones. Because finding out if anything in them is worthwhile is a lot of work.

If you have anything still on an envelope DO NOT REMOVE IT.  Sometimes that is worth more than just a stamp.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2108 on: July 13, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
I actually got some push back from my mother this weekend. She thought I was making a mistake getting rid of most of my books because "children need to know that books are valued and important." Well, yes. But they don't need to know that book OWNERSHIP is important. We spend plenty of time worshipping the book gods at the library, thank you very much.

She then joked that she didn't ever have to declutter her own crowded home because I would just do it for her once she was dead. I wanted to remind her that her own mother had cleared out her home in a major purge a couple of years before she died, and how grateful we all were at the time of her death that we didn't have to grieve and spend weeks emptying out her home at the same time. But I didn't. I will next time. I did, however, pull three cardboard boxes from her basement and insist she fill them for me to take to the Goodwill.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2109 on: July 13, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »

I'm just wondering if your dad's stamp collection was neatly organized in binders or something? I have a bag of loose stamps (and some may even be postmarked) from the 60s-80s. Not sure if a dealer would want to look at my mess of a collection.

From my research- loose stamps are less likely to see for nearly as much as organized ones. Because finding out if anything in them is worthwhile is a lot of work.

If you have anything still on an envelope DO NOT REMOVE IT.  Sometimes that is worth more than just a stamp.

Thanks for the tips, Iowajes and Retiredat63! I'll see if I have anything I can organize them into (like a slide protector page with little pockets), so I can at least present them in a more viewable fashion. ~Same thing with some old coins I've found stashed away.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2110 on: July 13, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
I actually got some push back from my mother this weekend. She thought I was making a mistake getting rid of most of my books because "children need to know that books are valued and important." Well, yes. But they don't need to know that book OWNERSHIP is important. We spend plenty of time worshipping the book gods at the library, thank you very much.

She then joked that she didn't ever have to declutter her own crowded home because I would just do it for her once she was dead. I wanted to remind her that her own mother had cleared out her home in a major purge a couple of years before she died, and how grateful we all were at the time of her death that we didn't have to grieve and spend weeks emptying out her home at the same time. But I didn't. I will next time. I did, however, pull three cardboard boxes from her basement and insist she fill them for me to take to the Goodwill.

I can relate to this, as I have two parents who are collector-hoarders. My mom has gotten upset when she's heard I'm selling my own childhood stuff on eBay, and years ago when I attempted to declutter a bunch of childhood books, she took them out of the donation pile. So I'm sure she still has them stored in boxes--probably chewed up by mice at this point! To me it feels like emotional bullying when she tells me I HAVE to keep something. It also feels like my (70+ year old) parents are expecting me to continue to carry the burden of their hoards. And that feels like enabling a mental illness. :-/

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2111 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:29 PM »
Taking a huge bundle of papers to the shredder at work today :-) I also have all my PP&E used on occasional site visits to be stored in my desk at work which I recently decluttered. This gets this seldom used but needs to be owned stuff out of my way. I also gave my mum two toiletries bags to use on her upcoming vacation (she was going to buy some) as I now use a very small kit bag and small makeup bag as I only ever take hand luggage. My next zones I am hoping to tackle are the car (aka the random junk holder) and the linen shelf.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2112 on: July 13, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
I've made zero, or possibly negative progress on decluttering lately, but did just pawn off two name-brand purses on my visiting nieces, and they were thrilled to have them.  Really hoping to summon the mental energy to start selling some things.  It's the items with some value that aren't leaving the house; I have no problem dropping things by the thrift store.  Maybe it's time to read the Kondo book and become inspired.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #2113 on: July 13, 2015, 08:10:46 PM »
Have made progress on the decluttering of old stuff stuck at my parents house.
So far 1 box of old paperbacks and 2 boxes of old school papers have made it into paper recycling. 3 boxes of old books will be offered to relatives with children of right age. Tossed some old toys that were broken (plastic doesn't store well) and saved the quality toys for later.

Also brought home a box to look through more thoroughly and found some old dvd's I'm going to enjoy watching on a rainy night. I know the result of the 'decluttering' will be more stuff at my house and less at their. But that's ok, as long as I don't own more than I can comfortably house in my (smal) apartment.

Also took stuff to el-recycling today. For some reason I put that of, sometimes for months...

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2114 on: July 14, 2015, 03:35:54 AM »
Have made progress on the decluttering of old stuff stuck at my parents house.
So far 1 box of old paperbacks and 2 boxes of old school papers have made it into paper recycling. 3 boxes of old books will be offered to relatives with children of right age. Tossed some old toys that were broken (plastic doesn't store well) and saved the quality toys for later.

Also brought home a box to look through more thoroughly and found some old dvd's I'm going to enjoy watching on a rainy night. I know the result of the 'decluttering' will be more stuff at my house and less at their. But that's ok, as long as I don't own more than I can comfortably house in my (smal) apartment.

Also took stuff to el-recycling today. For some reason I put that of, sometimes for months...
Urgh this pile!!! I had a quick glimpse at it last time I was at my parents, pretty sure it is mostly sewing stuff which should be able to come home now I have decluttered, stuff I use there (a spare sweater and some sports equipment) but I will need to check no junk crept in.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2115 on: July 14, 2015, 08:58:37 AM »

I can relate to this, as I have two parents who are collector-hoarders. My mom has gotten upset when she's heard I'm selling my own childhood stuff on eBay, and years ago when I attempted to declutter a bunch of childhood books, she took them out of the donation pile. So I'm sure she still has them stored in boxes--probably chewed up by mice at this point! To me it feels like emotional bullying when she tells me I HAVE to keep something. It also feels like my (70+ year old) parents are expecting me to continue to carry the burden of their hoards. And that feels like enabling a mental illness. :-/

Don't tell them you're getting rid of something. And good luck when you have to clean out their house.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2116 on: July 14, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »
Good idea, Sibley. What's that movie quote, "You can't handle the truth!"  They want to think that all their collecting and hoarding efforts have been worthwhile and the sad truth is, it was mostly a waste of time, energy and money.

Today I took my old coins to a reputable dealer and they bought maybe 1/3 of them. They paid me $44 for coins with an original face value of $5. So, though it was nearly 9x their original value, it doesn't seem like it was worthwhile to hold on to them for all those years. I asked him about stamps and they're only interested in 1910 and older, in pristine condition. That rules out my whole collection, lol! I will be donating them to the local thrift store. Maybe they'll be used for arts & crafts.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2117 on: July 15, 2015, 06:33:30 AM »
I am on a (free) vacation & hav packed almost all of my clothing. Because that is how minimal my wardrobe is ! So funny :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2118 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:14 AM »

I am on a (free) vacation & hav packed almost all of my clothing. Because that is how minimal my wardrobe is ! So funny :)

If there was a badassity prize you'd have my nomination!!!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2119 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:01 AM »
Been dipping in and out of this thread but I am about 80% done with getting rid of probably 80% of my belongings. My husband and I are setting out on a months-long road trip, in which we intend to stay in a bunch of different places until we find one where we want to settle down for a while. We have a small storage room and a Honda Fit and that's it!

We've been following the usual course of action ... Craigslist, friends, Goodwill. We've made about $800 selling stuff so far and will probably clear $1500 by the time it's all said and done. Plus we've given a lot of great stuff to our friends and to the thrift stores around here. It's been a lot of schlepping, but it feels awesome to go through literally every item you own and only keep the ones that you have decided to keep.

I keep leaping out of bed at 5 in the morning because I'm so excited! We leave Sunday! Still lots to do but not so much that we will need to go bananas to get it done.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2120 on: July 15, 2015, 07:59:26 AM »
Anyone have any ideas on getting rid of a hooked rug canvas, pattern & yarn? It's not selling on ebay. Just has to go somewhere where it will be appreciated.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2121 on: July 15, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
Anyone have any ideas on getting rid of a hooked rug canvas, pattern & yarn? It's not selling on ebay. Just has to go somewhere where it will be appreciated.

Kids art center
Senior center
Craigslist for free

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2122 on: July 15, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »

There should be a badassity prize!
And thanks :)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2123 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
Been dipping in and out of this thread but I am about 80% done with getting rid of probably 80% of my belongings. My husband and I are setting out on a months-long road trip, in which we intend to stay in a bunch of different places until we find one where we want to settle down for a while. We have a small storage room and a Honda Fit and that's it!

We've been following the usual course of action ... Craigslist, friends, Goodwill. We've made about $800 selling stuff so far and will probably clear $1500 by the time it's all said and done. Plus we've given a lot of great stuff to our friends and to the thrift stores around here. It's been a lot of schlepping, but it feels awesome to go through literally every item you own and only keep the ones that you have decided to keep.

I keep leaping out of bed at 5 in the morning because I'm so excited! We leave Sunday! Still lots to do but not so much that we will need to go bananas to get it done.

That is so exciting! A long roadtrip . finding a place to settle for a bit . that's what I'll be doing a little later .

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2124 on: July 15, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
Thanks to you all I watched some Konmari type videos and really swallowed the idea that when purging paper I should not deal with other things.  So…I entered the room of paper (cue scary music) and separated out all other stuff such as CDs, books, electrical cords, boxes, etc.  They all went on a different table.  Suddenly it all seemed simpler.  Magic!

i emptied out desk drawers, a filing drawer, some shelves, binders and boxes.

Then I decided to have one binder with everything in it in my office plus one box with rarely accessed stuff in a closet.

I have been destroying old bills, statements, journals, course notes, and notecards.  I have been tossing junk mail, flyers, and goodness knows what all. I have tossed three bags of paper trash and I feel great.  I am not finished yet but can see the end in sight.  I had a look at my computer and realised that perhaps the reason my scanner won't work is that I have my previous (dead) scanner listed as the scanner in my computer.  Whoops.

I stacked nostalgic papers in a separate pile to deal with after going through the unsentimental stuff.  Most of that will be scanned and tossed. 

I still have three boxes of paper in a closet.  I know Marie Kondo would not approve but there is only so much clutter I can visually deal with without giving up.  Most of that is keepsakes and scannable stuff so it can come out once I get the scanner ready to go.  And more importantly it can come out when the present heavily reduced stacks are down to small mounds.

After my first phase last fall I am seeing all kinds of stuff I suddenly am ready to toss with this second go around.  I am determined not to scan nonsense so I am going to go through the To Be Scanned Pile one more time before scanning and I bet I will toss a lot more.

Woohooo!!!! This thread is really inspiring me.

jordanread

« Reply #2125 on: July 15, 2015, 12:42:36 PM »

I think the badassity prize is FIRE. It is for me anyway.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2126 on: July 15, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »
Then What?

Once the paper has been reduced it will be time to have a future plan.  My plan is evolving and I welcome input and hearing what you do:

GOAL: Minimal paper with minimal computer files. Immediacy (in accessing info and dealing with incoming paper)

1.  Incoming paper will go into an inbox on my desk including mail and receipts my husband brings home and any paper that would usually float around and end up in a pile of books for months.  Then I will  deal with them frequently, toss most.

2.  Binder by my desk holding current info such as house maintenance records (until I get software for this), the latest version of a couple of paper only bills, a few papers containing health info, and ???

3. One easy to reach slim box in closet will have things like dividend certificates, baptism, marriage and birth certificates, the check book, house deeds, tax forms, etc.

4. Online statements and billing and online receipt of annual reports etc. ALREADY SET UP

5. Management of scanned files…I need a good system for managing this on my mac.  I was going to use Evernote but found out I can only use that online.  I like the idea of hashtags but dread the idea of files entering the computer and never being accessed.  I want a system where I can delete things that no longer are necessary.

6. Possible hard drive to store scanned photos.  I have yet to purge photos, that is another category.

7. Visuals to scan: I understand a Fujitsu Scansnap type of scanner is good for images and may buy one and then sell it later.

8. Appliance Manuals- find them online and bookmark and then toss hard copies. Have a bookmark file for manuals.

9. Home Maintenance software to store house maintenance info such as scanned receipts, records of what was done when and what it cost, age of appliances, paint charts, etc. 

10. Typing: Right now I have a big pile of stuff to type into the computer.  Urggggh.  I would rather not so I am going to check it all again and see what I can just dump or scan.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2127 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »
10. Typing: Right now I have a big pile of stuff to type into the computer.  Urggggh.  I would rather not so I am going to check it all again and see what I can just dump or scan.
Can you instead just scan it and then use OCR software? It'll save you a lot of time!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2128 on: July 15, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
Final Frontiers

Once I have completed this phase with paper (and then possibly photos if I feel like it) it will be time to deal with clutter of a specific type:

Needs To Be Repaired:

Sewing and darning (repairs not new items)

Furniture, frames, lamps and other wood

Odds and ends

This will involve some DIY and some hiring of knowledgeable contractors.  I hope that when I pull these items out I will choose to toss a lot of them rather than spend time on repairs.

Finally I will get to…

Projects Using Up Materials (That I Have Chosen To Keep For This Reason):

Clothing, curtains, upholstery, carpentry projects, craft projects

I suspect that once I reach this final, final frontier I will need to introduce deadlines by which things must be used or tossed out. 

And then???? Life without clutter!!!!!!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2129 on: July 15, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
Grantmeaname, what a terrific idea!  I will find out about that.  Do you know of one which is good for macs?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2130 on: July 15, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »
No idea. Adobe Acrobat does OCR and does it well but it's not cheap - maybe get a trial and do it all within the trial period?

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2131 on: July 15, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »
That is doable.  As I go through I will probably be able to toss some of the pages. Thanks so much.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2132 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »

Have any of you noticed connections between the threads that you post in or read?  I see that I am mostly into the following:

Losing weight in 2015
Clearing Out Clutter
No Clothes Shopping in 2015
Using up Fabrics, Sewing and Crafting Supplies
Eat All the Food in Your House

I am seeing a connection between being drained of energy and having too much STUFF whether it is stored food, stored fat on my body, too many clothes, too many unfinished projects or too much paper.

I seem to have spent several years blindly stocking up on body fat, spare toilet paper, lotions and toothpastes, crafting supplies, useless boxes of paper, health supplements and broken things.  And, I am seeing that as the fridge gets clear I rush out to buy more food so that once again we have an abundance and once again I struggle to eat it all before it rots.  With craft supplies, fancy lotions, fancy health supplements and shoes I get them and never use them.  It is as though having them is soothing and if I use them up I feel an anxious urgency to restock, not in order to get a good price but to ease my anxiety.

After all these months of on and off de-cluttering and weight loss and regain and loss again I am seeing trends in my feelings when supplies get low.

Having used up so many things this winter and spring, the idea of going to a Costco type place and stocking up on supplies horrifies me, I can't bear the idea of more stuff sitting around.  I have spent months using up jars and bottles of spares and would rather rush out when the shampoo has barely a drop left than stock up ever again. And yet...

... At the same time there are things which I am still resisting using up because I don't want to be without them despite never touching them, ever.  With some of them it is because buying them is expensive and so I do not want to deplete my stores.  Consequently crafting supplies have hardened in their tubes, lotions have separated, supplements are well past their sell by dates…all wasted and ready to be thrown away.

We have quite a few broken things which others would have tossed out but I have held onto for years and years with the idea that I will repair them.  I have even bought broken things at yard sales since they are cheaper and I plan to fix them up but don't.

Is this due to growing up with few new things and no expensive things?  What is this mentality and how do I let it go? 

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2133 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »

Have any of you noticed connections between the threads that you post in or read?  I see that I am mostly into the following:

Losing weight in 2015
Clearing Out Clutter

I am seeing a connection between being drained of energy and having too much STUFF whether it is stored food, stored fat on my body, too many clothes, too many unfinished projects or too much paper.

I seem to have spent several years blindly stocking up on body fat, spare toilet paper, lotions and toothpastes, crafting supplies, useless boxes of paper, health supplements and broken things.  And, I am seeing that as the fridge gets clear I rush out to buy more food so that once again we have an abundance and once again I struggle to eat it all before it rots.  With craft supplies, fancy lotions, fancy health supplements and shoes I get them and never use them.  It is as though having them is soothing and if I use them up I feel an anxious urgency to restock, not in order to get a good price but to ease my anxiety.

After all these months of on and off de-cluttering and weight loss and regain and loss again I am seeing trends in my feelings when supplies get low.

Having used up so many things this winter and spring, the idea of going to a Costco type place and stocking up on supplies horrifies me, I can't bear the idea of more stuff sitting around.  I have spent months using up jars and bottles of spares and would rather rush out when the shampoo has barely a drop left than stock up ever again. And yet...

... At the same time there are things which I am still resisting using up because I don't want to be without them despite never touching them, ever.  With some of them it is because buying them is expensive and so I do not want to deplete my stores.  Consequently crafting supplies have hardened in their tubes, lotions have separated, supplements are well past their sell by dates…all wasted and ready to be thrown away.

We have quite a few broken things which others would have tossed out but I have held onto for years and years with the idea that I will repair them.  I have even bought broken things at yard sales since they are cheaper and I plan to fix them up but don't.

Is this due to growing up with few new things and no expensive things?  What is this mentality and how do I let it go?

Wow, you have been able to articulate so many feelings I have as well...

Clutter and too many things around me stress me out, yet I feel anxious if I am running low on stuff and I go out and stock up on things all the time.  I really don't know what the answer is and I will be interested in what others have to say on this topic.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #2134 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:15 PM »
Great work all!

Wintersun, those are some of the threads I enjoy the most too. Even though I think I'm doing ok in those areas (always room for improvement!) I love the feeling of order and efficiency that comes from only having what you need and managing resources well. So calming!

I spent Saturday organising my boyfriend's papers into our new filing cabinet and fed quite a lot to the fire (old paid utility bills, manuals for VCR no longer owned, etc). Signed up for online statements as much as possible. Will need a second pass later on but trying not to freak him out with my organising ways.

Recent closet purge continues to be a blessing and saves so much time and mental energy. Need to move a few more things into summer stash as I am never reaching for them on these freezing winter days. And deal with mending too. Not a favourite job but will be happy when it's done. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #2135 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:48 PM »
Great work all!

Wintersun, those are some of the threads I enjoy the most too. Even though I think I'm doing ok in those areas (always room for improvement!) I love the feeling of order and efficiency that comes from only having what you need and managing resources well. So calming!

I spent Saturday organising my boyfriend's papers into our new filing cabinet and fed quite a lot to the fire (old paid utility bills, manuals for VCR no longer owned, etc). Signed up for online statements as much as possible. Will need a second pass later on but trying not to freak him out with my organising ways.

Recent closet purge continues to be a blessing and saves so much time and mental energy. Need to move a few more things into summer stash as I am never reaching for them on these freezing winter days. And deal with mending too. Not a favourite job but will be happy when it's done. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2136 on: July 15, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »

I think the badassity prize is FIRE. It is for me anyway.

+1000. Yup.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #2137 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »

Losing weight in 2015
Clearing Out Clutter

I am seeing a connection between being drained of energy and having too much STUFF whether it is stored food, stored fat on my body, too many clothes, too many unfinished projects or too much paper./snip

This is a very powerful observation you've made. I'm following most of those threads, too - I know what you mean.

I think the common denominator (for me at least) is probably taking on too much. May I presume you are a woman? I feel like this is endemic among women - the feeling that we should do and be everything. I struggle with it, most of my female friends do as well. It's the fast track to burnout.

As I've gotten further into Mustachianism I feel like many of these things get easier because I get better at saying No. No to stuff I don't actually need, no to obligations I can't fulfill, no to food that makes me fat.

But then there are all these ghosts all over my home from when I was less discriminate about taking on everything - when I was proud to be the girl who was trying to do it all, instead of realizing that's a particular sickness in itself. And in throwing out the clutter it's like you have to confront those ghosts all over again, and that in itself is exhausting.

I also have noticed about myself - when I allow my time to be stretched, stretched, stretched by other people - I have way less bandwidth to say no to unhealthy food, impulse purchases, etc. and so I slip back a bit.

And then there's confronting any underlying emotional things that make us want to be surrounded by a bubble of stuff, fat, protection, security, whatever....and all I can say is that's some deep inner child shit right there. But even making these connections like you have - that's got to be half the battle, right?

Thanks for bringing these things up.

I think you should throw away those lotions and things you are clinging to that are past their sell by. Like, just do it. Right now. Do the Konmari thank you or whatever, and get that burden off your shoulders. My 2 cents.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2138 on: July 15, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
Grantmeaname, what a terrific idea!  I will find out about that.  Do you know of one which is good for macs?
A lot of scanners have ocr bundled into their basic software. The one I had did a decent job as long as the original was clear.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2139 on: July 15, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I love all these discussions about "why" we find cleaning out clutter hard. My 0.02... I suffer from "what if I need this". I think this is partially recognition of the money or time that went into procuring the item... Something which has helped me is letting myself know if what if happens I can borrow or buy another one and also finding a "good" home for the item (which will appreciate it) which seems to remove concern over time/resources. Decluttering gives me a sense of control over my life. Also I love love love the whole tiny house movement and can see the financial benefits to downsize when I move (pretty full on given I live in 36sqm/400sq ft)  so getting rid off stuff helps me work towards the move. Also I hate mess... My mother is always recognised as the clean one in her group of friends and seems like I am going the same way. Given my limited time (as Erica said we women do tend to try and do it all) an uncluttered house is an easier to keep clean house. I have noticed my volume of stuff declining steadily over time so I think I am doing ok... But still I was surprised how much I could purge from such a small space!!!

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2140 on: July 15, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
Okay, I need some help! I'm just starting to KonMari my clothes. What do I do with stuff that brings me joy and would be of the first things I pick if I hadn't put on 20 lbs? I keep telling myself I'm going to lose the weight, but since it's been a year and a half and I haven't taken any action to actually lose, I think I might be lying to myself, or just unable/unwilling to find the headspace and motivation to do it.
Do I keep something because it brings me joy and hope or ditch it because I don't know when/if I'll ever be able to wear it again?

jordanread

« Reply #2141 on: July 15, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
Okay, I need some help! I'm just starting to KonMari my clothes. What do I do with stuff that brings me joy and would be of the first things I pick if I hadn't put on 20 lbs? I keep telling myself I'm going to lose the weight, but since it's been a year and a half and I haven't taken any action to actually lose, I think I might be lying to myself, or just unable/unwilling to find the headspace and motivation to do it.
Do I keep something because it brings me joy and hope or ditch it because I don't know when/if I'll ever be able to wear it again?
I have 75 liters of shirts that I put in a backpack. They were from the "shit I'm too fat to wear" section. I figured that by the time I need the backpack, if I can't fit them, I won't. Still haven't needed the pack, but the shirts mostly fit now. The fitness thread helped, as did anw. I have very little attachment to stuff, so I'm possibly the absolute worst person to respond. Still, the deadline I set obviously stuck in the back of my head. Didn't think about it at all, but I've done well with that kind of motivation. It was then like a fun surprise.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2142 on: July 15, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »

Losing weight in 2015
Clearing Out Clutter

Yeah, when you watch Hoarders, or Biggest Loser, there's always an emotional reason behind the problem.  Just because we have clutter, not a hoard, or 20 extra pounds, not 200, that doesn't mean there isn't an emotional problem behind it.  As corny as it sounds, I was able to start losing weight after  a life coach/animal communicator that was doing a session with my horse honed in on me instead and told me I didn't need to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, and that I had built myself a sort of cocoon.  Maybe it was because it was the only profound life advice anyone had given me in a long time, but after letting that sink in for a year or so (guess I'm slow), I ended up losing 50#, and after that, started working my way off the debt hamster wheel and not making a martyr of myself, which has lead to a bigger desire to declutter the things that I see as weighing me down and preventing me from streamlining my life so I can enjoy doing stuff, instead of just managing STUFF.

Salim

• Handlebar Stache
  • over the hills
« Reply #2143 on: July 16, 2015, 05:20:05 AM »
Well, I feel as if I've been painted into a corner. We downsized from 2400 sq ft to 1200 by closing our office away from home, the MA winter was so bad DH took everything out of the attic and filled it with insulation, and my overstuffed clothes closet was ruined by a wall cave-in (from winter ice storm damage) and subsequent takeover by mold, to which I am allergic. Everything had to come out of the closet and be cleaned. It should have been a happy time, moving into semi-retirement, but my anxiety level went through the roof and the dentist said I might need an implant from breaking another tooth by grinding them at night. Yuck!

Being home again, I saw all the clutter around me from life, work, activities, and space reduction, and felt just plain awful. On top of that, the design supplies we brought home from work had pushed out all my art supplies.

Marie Kondo's book is helping me cope and dig out. (Thank you for directing me to the book!) DH, who usually hates getting rid of anything, is being very helpful, lugging bags and boxes and piles of anything and everything to all the appropriate destinations. He even agreed to part with my grandmother's set of the Harvard Classics because I found a Kindle edition for $2.50... unbelievable but true. As for my return to being a fine artist, we are turning an unused guest cabin in the back yard into an art studio. At first, I felt sad about being banished to the back yard, but I'm warming up to the idea. And, it would be very unseemly to complain when I do have a cute little building in the yard just waiting for me :-)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2144 on: July 16, 2015, 05:36:59 AM »
I love the idea of a backyard studio I bet you can make it a beautiful and inspiring space :-)

SarahMD428

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2145 on: July 16, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »
I would love a backyard studio (as long as it has heat for the winter)! A little oasis away from everything - including that stress-mess and everyday chores that call your name. How lovely!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2146 on: July 16, 2015, 10:43:50 AM »
Horsepoor, thanks for sharing your experience.  I appreciate hearing it.  It is so cool that you got your advice from such an unlikely source!  I need to find thematic words that tip me into a new place.  Congrats on all the upgrades :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2147 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
Erica,

I think the common denominator (for me at least) is probably taking on too much.  I feel like this is endemic among women - the feeling that we should do and be everything. I struggle with it, most of my female friends do as well. It's the fast track to burnout.

... I get better at saying No. No to stuff I don't actually need, no to obligations I can't fulfill, no to food that makes me fat.

But then there are all these ghosts all over my home from when I was less discriminate about taking on everything - when I was proud to be the girl who was trying to do it all, instead of realizing that's a particular sickness in itself. And in throwing out the clutter it's like you have to confront those ghosts all over again, and that in itself is exhausting.

I also have noticed about myself - when I allow my time to be stretched, stretched, stretched by other people - I have way less bandwidth to say no to unhealthy food, impulse purchases, etc. and so I slip back a bit.

And then there's confronting any underlying emotional things that make us want to be surrounded by a bubble of stuff, fat, protection, security, whatever....and all I can say is that's some deep inner child shit right there. But even making these connections like you have - that's got to be half the battle, right?

Thanks for your input.  Definitely some deep inner child shit for me to address :)  I like the idea that it could be related to doing too much and doing too much for others.  I am looking at this as well as at saying NO. 

Thanks.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2148 on: July 16, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
Chasingthegoodlife,

I love the feeling of order and efficiency that comes from only having what you need and managing resources well. So calming!

Let us know how the mending goes, that is upcoming for me.  Today I am going through files of old bills and statements.  I am getting tired of tearing them so I am going to investigate the community shredders.  I feel some excitement about getting rid of all this STUFFFFF.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2149 on: July 16, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
ZiziPB,

I know what you mean by
I feel anxious if I am running low on stuff

Sigh.  If I figure anything out I will share it here.