Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850039 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #2000 on: July 01, 2015, 07:14:13 AM »
As planned, I tackled the bedroom today. Phew.

I cleared a whole shelf. Doesn't sound like much, but we have a four shelf unit which used to be *crammed*. Gradually I'd reduced the amount of stuff on it so there was breathing room. Today I got it to a place where everything comfortably fit on three of the shelves. I plan to leave the top one completely empty.

There was a knock on effect in the lounge as some stuff moved down there. I pulled out a lot of books and storage boxes from the shelves there to consolidate and make room for stuff moving downstairs. Why did I have four sets of playing cards? We never play cards.

So much stuff ready to go to the charity shop. And I also decided I needed to use my 'ebay box' for odd sock storage if I was going to get the top shelf clear, so every single thing in it has been listed on a one-week auction. (Whenever an odd sock comes out of a load I put it there. Eventually they all find their friends, but I will always need a place for the spares as they're rarely all correctly married up at once!).

If the items I've listed don't sell, I will consider relisting it once more if I think it's worth waiting, otherwise it's off to charity. Nothing else is going in an ebay holding box - either I list it immediately or donate. I think I've got rid of most of the stuff that's worth much anyway.

I also cleared out recipe cards I've been saving, and chose one to make for dinner (which also uses up a curry mix I had been wanting to get rid of). This meant I could designate a spot for our ipad to live. That makes me weirdly happy. It had a general 'area' before, but this is even better.

Also cleared out my e-mails, I have 2 items in my inbox both of which are ongoing. Feeling good! Well done to everyone else who's had success this week too, and hugs to those struggling.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2001 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:38 AM »
Could someone give me a pep talk that it would be better to get rid of the stamping supplies at even a penny on the dollar I paid for them, then to keep them unused in my closet?

I am having a very hard time clearing them, because I know they cost so much money.  And maybe I'll use them against someday...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2002 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »
Could someone give me a pep talk that it would be better to get rid of the stamping supplies at even a penny on the dollar I paid for them, then to keep them unused in my closet?

I am having a very hard time clearing them, because I know they cost so much money.  And maybe I'll use them against someday...

When it comes down to clutter that I can't get much value back on, it's easiest for me to give away items than to sell them.  Then I feel good about making someone else happy rather than quite so regretful for the lost money.  Is there someone who would appreciate them in your life (and not consider it clutter)?  If so, give it to them (bonus you can likely "visit" and borrow if you really want.)  Save out your favorites if that will make you feel better.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »

When it comes down to clutter that I can't get much value back on, it's easiest for me to give away items than to sell them.  Then I feel good about making someone else happy rather than quite so regretful for the lost money.  Is there someone who would appreciate them in your life (and not consider it clutter)?  If so, give it to them (bonus you can likely "visit" and borrow if you really want.)  Save out your favorites if that will make you feel better.

That's a great idea common cents. Even a post on Facebook might bring some stamping friends out of the woodwork. Or a local craft group/teacher?

When this happens to me I remember the money is already gone. Holding onto the stuff just reminds me of the waste, so I'd rather not see them. But it's easier said than done, I know.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #2004 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »

I find if I give away stuff I've spent money on helps me think twice before over-spending in the future.  The fact it is a little painful can be a help!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2005 on: July 01, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
I'm getting kicked out of my apartment in Dec because they're renovating and converting it to an office building. Good thing I've been decluttering and selling things on ebay/craigslist over the past few months. Time to kick things into high gear for the summer!

Progress for June: $230 (got rid of clothes/shoes/an airbed despite being away for 2 weeks!)
Progress for 2015 (Jan-June): $1510

Plan for July is to sell/give away an old dresser that I got for free but never used, a foot massager that I rarely use and was keeping for my parents' visit (now that they've left I can get rid of everything that I've been keeping for overnight guests), that extra bike I was keeping for visiting guests, and any other bulky things that I think I can get rid of.

Anyone else find that craigslist/ebay are a lot more active in the summer months?

Sry to hear you will hav to move . but excellent time to be rid of more . I also had to move recently unexpectedly, such a bummer , but found a better place for less  .
Wow! That's a lot of money you've made selling your unwanted stuff. Excellent.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2006 on: July 01, 2015, 05:28:07 PM »
My clutter busting goals for 2015:

Locate and re-organize all my important papers, label each folder and subfolder. Then set up a file system that actually works for me. Finished in March 2015! Yeah - success is sweet! Order in the study is a wonderful thing to behold. I can actually pull out my file drawer with all my important papers and find what I need within seconds - Hallelujah!!!

Clear all paper clutter period! That's a biggie - that means boxes and bags and boxes and bags crammed full and shoved in corners and closets - still working on it. Made a few good dents in it last year and early this year, stopped - hated that, but it was an emergency trip that took me out of the country for a couple of months and when I got back I'd lost my momentum.

Started up again - cleared out a cabinet this June, but ironically never managed to sort through and eliminate the one big basket of papers hiding in it.
But hey, I sorted, purged and re-organized the entire cabinet - so in a way it was still a success. But now it has me wondering - psychologically speaking, why did I avoid that one basket of paper clutter still hiding in there?

Meanwhile, this Sunday we cleared out 75% of the laundry room from hell. Mostly boxes of paper clutter, pulled it all out, sorted through all but one big box. Felt good, now DH can have a look at the electric outlet that mysteriously stopped working, the one that's right behind the washer of course. Hope he can figure it out, if not I will have to call the electrician.
Found some change and at least ten good pens from when I cleared out my car two years ago:)
So far I filled two huge thrash cans with junk and paper clutter. A few things destined for a garage sale and some information that I had been looking for.

I will continue the job tomorrow, with luck I may make it through the last box and all the clutter on top of the tool box. Then I will feel inspired to finish the job, finding a home for everything from the odd Christmas tin box to the rope etc. ...
Sorting paperwork is downright exhausting - it's all those decisions about whether to keep or toss. I'll be real glad when the last of the paperwork is properly sorted and filed away - in fact, that will require a reward.

Got a long way to go - more boxes with paperwork clutter in other rooms... made a few inroads here and there over the past year. It has been very slow going at times, but the one thing I am most proud of is that I have a functioning file drawer and all my important papers are properly filed and can be found in seconds.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2007 on: July 02, 2015, 02:54:27 AM »
Rosy sounds like you have done great work, well done!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2008 on: July 02, 2015, 04:51:22 AM »

The expense was incurred when you purchased them, not when you get rid of them. Keeping them and never using them is as good as not having them at all.

Make plans to use them this weekend or get rid of them. The sooner they are gone, the sooner you'll stop having negative feelings about their cost every time you look at them.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #2009 on: July 02, 2015, 07:07:52 AM »
We moved last year and I've been trying to seriously declutter 1 moving box per day (stuff we have not opened in the last year of living here) that we have in our basement. I am on my third week. Takes 10-15 minutes per day (working full-time and 2 kids). I am being very selective in what we keep because our upcoming goal is to continue to downsize into smaller home (hopefully around 1200 sq ft) and we don't need all this stuff. This process really makes me hate buying anything new, because of the mental energy of owning something (cleaning it, fixing it, organizing it, and then finally disowning it, etc). Less stuff = less time spent on it = more time for fun.

Nancy

« Reply #2010 on: July 02, 2015, 07:35:15 AM »
All good points about the craft supplies (sunk cost and gifting to friends for joy). You have all helped me tremendously! A very hearty thank you!

Rosy + advicist, you're making excellent progress. I'm inspired!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2011 on: July 02, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »
Another 3 shirts. One skirt, and one bra out . also one big beach bag that I do not like anymore out . was using to keep paints and brushes but transferred them to a shoebox stacked with other art and sewing supplies also in one shoebox each, easily accessible on shelf in closet .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:54:03 AM by riverffashion »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2012 on: July 02, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »
When does decluttering end?

My closets contain only things I want to keep/spark joy for me and I've given away or cleared over a 1000 items in the past two months. Everything (except my husband's closet) is cleared of clutter. Items to be sold or gifted would be done soon (July 15 to be exact - that is my self imposed deadline to clear out the sell items) and I've started on the digital decluttering.

However, this morning I see that our mail shelf is again full (from past week) and I'm finding a shelf here, a bag there that I didn't catch the first time I decluttered. I'm also starting to take another look at all the stuff we still have.

But I'm starting to feel the fatigue too. I'm not sure when is a good time to stop and just let things be. I sometimes worry I still have too much and sometimes think I'm throwing something that my husband or kid might need. When do you stop decluttering?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2013 on: July 02, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
When does decluttering end?

My closets contain only things I want to keep/spark joy for me and I've given away or cleared over a 1000 items in the past two months. Everything (except my husband's closet) is cleared of clutter. Items to be sold or gifted would be done soon (July 15 to be exact - that is my self imposed deadline to clear out the sell items) and I've started on the digital decluttering.

However, this morning I see that our mail shelf is again full (from past week) and I'm finding a shelf here, a bag there that I didn't catch the first time I decluttered. I'm also starting to take another look at all the stuff we still have.

But I'm starting to feel the fatigue too. I'm not sure when is a good time to stop and just let things be. I sometimes worry I still have too much and sometimes think I'm throwing something that my husband or kid might need. When do you stop decluttering?

Personally I'm going through everything in rounds. Round 1 is nearly over and I've started on round 2 in some rooms already. I expect I'll take decluttering off my to-do list after round 3, but I imagine by then I will have developed a habit and will naturally declutter here and there just to prevent the clutter from coming back. So I don't think it'll ever end, but it'll get easier and more natural over time.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2014 on: July 02, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »
And a pair of fleece socks that make my feet sweat even in winter are out. The simple things hahaha.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2015 on: July 03, 2015, 02:34:28 AM »
I thought that when I saw the new post too, acorn!

This is long, get ready...

I caved and bought the Marie Kondo book with an amazon voucher I had. Loving it so far! I thought it would be all patronising and self-helpy, but no, she tells it straight. She uses real examples from her clients, and is sometimes quite scathing about them and their habits, I love it!

My favourite so far is her talking about a client who was stockpiling loo roll. The clients excuse was digestive issues. Marie says,

"But even if she used one roll a day, she had at least three months’ supply. I’m not sure she could have used up one roll a day even if she spent all day wiping her bottom, and by that time her bottom would have been rubbed raw. It made me wonder if I should be giving her skin cream rather than lessons in cleaning."

Made me LOL! Enjoying it very much so far, although I wasn't quite sure when to actually start? At one point she says 'let's get to it!' so I went and started on my wardrobe, but then ended up reading the rest of the chapter as it contains lot of tips. Now I'm not sure if I should stop reading to tackle my books, or read all the way through and then do it.

I did another pass through of my clothes having read that chapter, and got rid of about 20 more things (even after all the weeding I've been doing). I used to store 3 bags of out of season stuff and I got it down to 1 by focussing not on whether I wear it, but whether it brings me joy. I was amazed how much stuff I wore because it was 'useful' (goes with anything, warm, easy outfit) rather than because it made me feel good.

I'm down to one small bag of out of season, and I would have hanging space for it all but my hanging area is 50/50 full length and half length, and I have way more dresses than tops so the full-length side is full, the other side has lots of capacity. Will incorporate a 70/30 split into my new bedroom design when the time comes.

I also liked how she says, you think I'm nutty don't you? Well, just try it anyway. So I did with the socks (folding, not balling up). I also rolled all my tights as described. I must say, I do like it! With tights especially it takes up a lot less space, and I could see at a glance that I was short on nude and needed to get some washing on. Much better than my usual tug of war trying to extract on pair from the tangle.

And her advice on hanging clothes so that they rise to the right, it sounds mad, but she said to draw a diagonal line in the air up to your right, and then one down to your right, and see how it makes you feel. I think I need to reverse my hanging order!

Also got bids on lots of things I listed on ebay earlier in the week, and have sold a book on amazon.  Thanks so much to everyone who recommended the book!

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2016 on: July 04, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
My DD and I decluttered her room yesterday. It took us a good part of the day but her closet and her room never looked better. We have a huge pile of stuff for donation and a few items for consignment. We used the Konmarie method and it worked quite well.  She had a ton of clothes that she didn't like or outgrew so that's the majority of the pile. We'll probably need to do another sweep through her various miscellaneous items but she's made good progress there too considering she generally keeps a ton of stuff for sentimental reasons. 

I've been feeling so much better since I've started my decluttering and minimizing "mission" ;-). Clutter really stresses me out. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2017 on: July 04, 2015, 04:10:46 PM »
I threw out more photos yesterday. Yay! Now I'm just down to printed ones from the last 5 years. I should really just chuck them all, but I'm not quite at that stage. The only time I ever look at my photos is when I'm going through them to cull. D'oh!

Last weekend, I sorted our big pile of paperwork. We use the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers that sits next to the front door for mail that needs to be kept and filed. I ended up throwing out 2/3 of the papers (realised we really didn't need to keep vet receipts, for example) and DH tore them up and we chucked them into the compost. Normally we recycle paper, but neither of us are comfortable with putting stuff with personal identity/bank account details straight into the recycling bin. We did have a shredder but it died after a year. Don't want to replace it cos the next one is also likely to not last that long, and having to send stuff to landfill unnecessarily sickens me a bit these days.

tl;dr - filed some papers, threw out the rest.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2018 on: July 04, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »
I cleaned the house yesterday but it made me realise how much easier cleaning would be if I had less junk.
I also realised I have enough stationary to last a very long time so I might start taking some of it to work where at least I will use it (even though I can of course get it free from the stationary cupboard) as I really just want to see it used. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #2019 on: July 04, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »
I started to type a post asking for opinions on whether to keep a certain set of items (workout clothes that are currently too small bc of pregnancy weight)... and in typing out my reasons for keeping them, realized they were dumb reasons. They'll go in the next donation bag!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2020 on: July 04, 2015, 07:49:28 PM »
So... got the Kondo book from the library last week and am poking through it. So far, so good. I think I've always been a declutterer by nature for quite some time (plus i moved every 2-4 years for 15 years or so - which does reinforce a certain level of decluttering). I've been in the same house now for 7 years and I do feel that stuff is piling up. But some of it is like big furniture things - not just little cluttery things. Like my bedroom added a bookshelf and a wicker laundry basket things over the 7 years. And of course those furniture things are full of little cluttery things! So, today I have a plan in place for the laundry hamper to go (it was holding clean bedding), and some of the bedding to go too (naturally). Struggling with the books and bookshelves (there are many in the house).  Eyeing a chair in the living room that I loved the look of but don't find particularly comfortable and it rarely gets used. Thinking if I shred many of the papers I can ditch the file cabinet and at least one desk....

Anyone done the big stuff and not just the little piles of stuff?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2021 on: July 04, 2015, 08:50:03 PM »
Felt the result of all our decluttering - we had friends over this weekend and cleaning took just two hours (while before it would've taken atleast a day, putting things away and then cleaning everything and it would've resulted in a fight about who's stuff is lying all around the house). I'm loving it!

Now we've decided to do this level of cleaning every week so we can enjoy our home even more. :)

Started on digital decluttering - can anyone recommend any books for how to go about it? I feel overwhelmed by that task.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2022 on: July 04, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
I'm working on ripping my cd collection as I write. I'll be so glad when this project is done.

Sorted the past school years papers. Scanned what I need. Recycling a 3 inch thick pile.

Knotted a comforter that's been sitting around for months waiting to be quilted.  I generally despise knotted comforters but it was time... It is a gift and will soon be taking up space in someone else's home! ;)

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2023 on: July 04, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
So... got the Kondo book from the library last week and am poking through it. So far, so good. I think I've always been a declutterer by nature for quite some time (plus i moved every 2-4 years for 15 years or so - which does reinforce a certain level of decluttering). I've been in the same house now for 7 years and I do feel that stuff is piling up. But some of it is like big furniture things - not just little cluttery things. Like my bedroom added a bookshelf and a wicker laundry basket things over the 7 years. And of course those furniture things are full of little cluttery things! So, today I have a plan in place for the laundry hamper to go (it was holding clean bedding), and some of the bedding to go too (naturally). Struggling with the books and bookshelves (there are many in the house).  Eyeing a chair in the living room that I loved the look of but don't find particularly comfortable and it rarely gets used. Thinking if I shred many of the papers I can ditch the file cabinet and at least one desk....

Well done.
Yes I hav and the spareness is lovely.
Keep up the good work

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #2024 on: July 04, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »

Well done.
Yes I hav and the spareness is lovely.
Keep up the good work
We cleared 4 small sets of curved glass corner shelves and sold 3. I've sold a large desk top I had and replaced it with one 2/3 the size. We're currently trying to work out which of our sets of shelves we need, and then sell the ones we don't like after we've been through the stuff they hold. Should get rid of at least 1 bookshelf. We have more drawers in our bedroom than I'd like, but they hold bedding as well as clothes and make everything work much better. Getting rid of the big stuff feels great and is a much more obvious change then the little pieces.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2025 on: July 05, 2015, 12:17:34 AM »
I 'fessed to DH that I was feeling overwhelmed with his stuff and kept daydreaming of a near-empty house. He loves his stuff (mostly DVDs, CDs, books and comics) so we're kind of at an impasse. But he did get rid of a small box of DVDs that we will take to charity next week. No point selling stuff here - the secondhand market is oversaturated.

Anyway, I also moved my small pile of photos into our box of wedding memorabilia. I found the off-cut from my wedding dress (it was a blue dress, not white) and chucked it away immediately. I love that I married DH but my memories of getting married (the lead-up, the day itself and the honeymoon) are quite fraught and ambivalent. I was so very very sick but didn't realise it at the time (spent more than a week in hospital after we got back from our honeymoon), and so I don't actually like having many mementoes of that time. I'd rather just enjoy today and being married, rather than being all nostalgic about our wedding day. Anyway, I'm rambling.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:22:34 AM by Astatine »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2026 on: July 05, 2015, 01:57:45 AM »
I 'fessed to DH that I was feeling overwhelmed with his stuff and kept daydreaming of a near-empty house. He loves his stuff (mostly DVDs, CDs, books and comics) so we're kind of at an impasse. But he did get rid of a small box of DVDs that we will take to charity next week. No point selling stuff here - the secondhand market is oversaturated.

My husband is a pack rat too, he did clear out some stuff but he still has 7 large boxes of vinyl records and he still keeps all his CDs even though he doesn't even listen to them. *Sigh*

ETA I suppose I should be grateful that he doesn't have his comic collection here as he is keeping it at his Mum's house.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2027 on: July 05, 2015, 04:38:30 AM »
Well.. having an unexpected house guest come to stay this week (don't know for how long yet - although it is likely to be intermittent) meant I did a bit of a declutter in the spare room this weekend. The room was mostly tidy, but the drawers / wardrobe / under the bed are storage places for items I want to keep, but don't know where to put them. Some items are the use once a year type - and cannot easily be replaced, so they stay. Some items are more of a sentimental nature. I go through this room about once a year, and each time find more stuff to get rid of. I mostly feel good now, there have been a few things come out of the room that need to be re-homed. Some toys from my childhood, are to go to nieces / nephews or be sold. I have slowly come to the realisation that there is no point in keeping them under the bed, when they were designed to be played with! There are some items which I still need to figure out a better home for. I would love it if my guest bedroom only had items for guests in it, but with limited other storage in the house that is not possible.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2028 on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
I am now engaged to longtime boyfriend ( 6yrs ) & we do not live together , but did a while back for two years.. Anyway, we will begin to look for a place , sml apt or similar. My things are very minimal by now, but his are not so much . he has tons of clothes, hats, shoes, etc.  Also tons of clutter type random things that serve no purpose really besides adorning every surface of his place.  Ha! Opposites attract sometimes. Most likely he'll donate a few things, but keep the bulk and I won't give him a hard time . His furniture is rather minimal tho so that's a plus.  I foresee my few possessions will dwindle further as I always do a major sweep if everything every time I move :) . for me is good fun and a great additional motivator.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2029 on: July 05, 2015, 08:52:14 PM »
After giving it a couple weeks on Freecycle with no bites, I took my old broken Canon printer to the trash room this morning.  I feel glad to have that nonfunctioning monstrosity out of my living room. 

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #2030 on: July 05, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »
A good friend informed me that she is having a garage sale in a few weeks and that I'm welcome to bring stuff over. Yeah! I'm sure there is something stashed in this house that I can get rid of. We had a huge sale in May but there is always more.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2031 on: July 05, 2015, 11:41:53 PM »
Mrs LC, I like your blog!
Today I admitted I needed to give away a shirt that looked great on the hanger and horrible on me.  Even though the tags were still on it.  I had a whole fight about it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2032 on: July 06, 2015, 02:25:05 AM »
I got rid of a few more things yesterday. I am sending my old mobile phone and charger for recycling. I don't know why I was holding onto it for so long.

I threw away a blanket for my cat which she had ruined.

A couple items of makeup binned, the mascara had dried up.

I am waiting for my new drawer dividers to arrive and I want everything non clothes related to fit in three of the drawers so I may have to move some stuff around and see if there is anything else that can be purged.:)

ETA I just moved some paperwork from the drawer to the box files and threw away some advertising flyers. Threw away some old costume jewellery as I doubt it would sell at a charity shop.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2033 on: July 06, 2015, 03:34:01 AM »

MsPeacock, I hadn't intended to get rid of any big stuff, but I found that getting rid of the little stuff freed me to get rid of the big stuff.

The first item of furniture to go was a chest of drawers, which (of course) was given to me as a hand me down. It held napkins, placemats etc. When I cleared out some drawers of kitchen gadgets I never used I decided to put the dining items in there, so the drawers were obsolete. Moving them out gave me space to move other stuff around and freed up much needed circulating space near our dining table.

Then just on Friday night I cleared out another chest of drawers in the bathroom. I've mentioned my toiletries struggle before, but after finishing Marie Kondo I just tackled it head on. I haven't bought and toiletries for months, and pretty much never intend to again (I make all my own creams and lotions and get given enough bubble bath / shower gel etc to see me through).

So knowing I was bringing no more in I felt better about throwing out stuff I was never going to use. I had a few duplicates I know I will get to, they went into a small cosmetics bag on a shelf. I moved the first aid and medicines out of the bathroom into another drawer which had been cleared out thanks to Marie.

Getting rid of that chest of drawers opened up the bathroom immensely.

So if you've done the little things you'll likely have excess storage capacity and be able to get rid of some bigger items.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2034 on: July 06, 2015, 04:56:45 AM »
Tossed a cardigan out which had faded badly in the sun (after only 2 days on the line in winter - WTF???) and a merino long sleeve t-shirt that a moth had had a feast on. Neither need to be replaced, I have plenty more cardis and merinos so that's two less items in my home.
Bought new winter work shoes today but left them under my desk at work (oops) as soon as I have them home and waterproofed the current pair is going in the bin. I didn't feel any purchase guilt as I knew they were replacing a pair that had well and truly done their time. Next planned purchase is a pair of summer work shoes to replace the two crappy/beat up pairs I currently have in my closet. The aim is to have two good quality and stylish pairs of shoes for work and be done with it.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #2035 on: July 06, 2015, 06:49:40 AM »
Today I admitted I needed to give away a shirt that looked great on the hanger and horrible on me.  Even though the tags were still on it.  I had a whole fight about it.
Thanks. Glad you liked it! The blog is just getting started so come back for more and bring your friends!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2036 on: July 06, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »
Thanks. Glad you liked it! The blog is just getting started so come back for more and bring your friends!

I checked it as well and liked it as well!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2037 on: July 06, 2015, 08:05:28 AM »
Finished Knodo's book this weekend. I have folded most of the drawers in my dresser as she recommends - why have I never heard of this before??? It is such an improvement to be able to see everything.

Started on weeding down my books - which is a major hurdle for me. I didn't take them all off the shelf as she recommends (that I will probably save for round 2), but took shelves and shelves out for donation. And now thinking back to some I left behind - those will go too.

YAY!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2038 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
Great, MsPeacock. I've also read the book and I'm very enthusiastic about it!

Didn't start with the clothes, because I did that a few weeks ago, so I started with the books. I've cut or book collection in half :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2039 on: July 06, 2015, 09:20:56 AM »
Sunday morning I was in the basement, and finally got around to opening the box and putting the furnace filters in the utility room. Looked at it, thought that I really needed to clean it out, closed the door and went back upstairs.

An hour later roomie and I were frantically removing everything from the utility room because the ejector pump failed and was flooding the basement. Thank god, it's laundry water and not toilet water!

Most of the clutter is paint cans. Some were there when we moved in. 2 gallons of a color that had been tried and rejected by a previous occupant and 9 pint cans of test colors from the living room got put on the free stuff section of Craigslist. One person coming tonight for the gallons, and someone hopefully coming tomorrow for the rest. If they flake out then I'll just put the ad back up.

Need to figure out which can of brown is the right color and use it for some touchups, then dispose of the other can. Also need to go through the rest and figure out what's actually on the walls, then get rid of the rest. Plus, I think the huge container of spackle has dried out and can get tossed. Already tossed the cardboard boxes that got wet.

Looking forward to getting the pump fixed so we can wash everything that got used for mopping up. Still working on the cleanup in the basement, but mostly trying to dry everything asap.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2040 on: July 06, 2015, 12:13:20 PM »
DH and I spent some quality time in the basement over the weekend throwing crap out. 

A few months ago we got a pretty large dumpster and gutted the basement.  In this process a ton of crap got thrown away, which was way awesome.  However, this weekend showed both of us that there is still a lot down there that has to go.  We only had the dumpster for a week, and we filled it right to the brim with everything from some concrete walls and ceiling tiles to old things of DH's gram that we just didn't want around any longer.

Still found some old expired food.  Still scraping tiles off the floor.  Still going through boxes we ignored in the demolition purge.  It's coming along.  Trash goes out tonight, I'm hoping for at least 4 bags of trash and to fill the recycle bin at least halfway (we have one of the huge 55+ gallon ones).

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #2041 on: July 06, 2015, 08:04:05 PM »

I checked it as well and liked it as well!

Thanks for the support!

Nancy

« Reply #2042 on: July 07, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »
I finally decluttered the kitchen gadgets! Woot! I'm excited. I knew it wouldn't be hard to get rid of things, but was nervous about the volume. Turns out, we don't have that much stuff, just limited space. I didn't declutter food since I am strongly against food waste (sorry Kondo, on this we part ways), but I'm committed to eating down my dried goods once again.

We are inching closer and closer to the hobby supplies. I'm actually excited to get to them and get rid of them!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2043 on: July 07, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
Task for the weekend: get the book from the library and do some focused decluttering. I also want to learn the folding tricks as I wear a lot of t-shirts and tank tops and have yet to figure out a way to keep the draw clean. 

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2044 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:34 PM »
I finally decluttered the kitchen gadgets! Woot! I'm excited. I knew it wouldn't be hard to get rid of things, but was nervous about the volume. Turns out, we don't have that much stuff, just limited space. I didn't declutter food since I am strongly against food waste (sorry Kondo, on this we part ways), but I'm committed to eating down my dried goods once again.

We are inching closer and closer to the hobby supplies. I'm actually excited to get to them and get rid of them!
In terms of food decluttering could you take the unwanted/unhealthy items (unopened stuff like cans etc) and put them in one of those donation boxes out the front of the supermarket. We always have them at Christmas but they also appear at other times of the year like homeless week (yes its a thing) and the like. Another alternative is to given the unwanted food to family/friends/neighbours. I gave my mum a bunch of flavoured tea I didn't like... The tea will get used and I don't have to drink it. Win win! I have also gotten rid of food by leaving it in the kitchen at work (stuff like weird powdered iced tea mix) co workers happily consumed it.

Nancy

« Reply #2045 on: July 08, 2015, 05:08:15 AM »
Excellent point, Melody! If I left food at work it would get devoured. I'll go through my food with that in mind. Thanks!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2046 on: July 08, 2015, 06:10:24 AM »
I made a foray into DD's room and even though I hardly touched the surface we ended up with a large bag of rubbish which half filled the garbage bin, and 4 bags/boxes of  stuff went to the family store.  And another two to go.  This is huge since DD is usually very protective of her treasures.

I honestly don't know how I ended up with a house with so much stuff in it.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2047 on: July 08, 2015, 07:17:23 AM »
Brought some stuff for clothing re-sale yesterday (though I did use store credit to get a skirt at one of them oops...), and a bag of books to re-sell today with a bag for donation hopefully going out tomorrow. Growing the twice, clothing swap, and fall trade piles. I feel like most of my 'de-cluttering' is mostly just trying to turn things I'm not using into small cash infusions, so not very Marie Kondo maybe, but I realized I might be able to move my cookbooks onto my regular bookshelf from their space above the stove. Not sure what else would go where they are now but kitchen space always is useful. Costco buying really takes up room!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2048 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:09 AM »
Sunday morning I was in the basement, and finally got around to opening the box and putting the furnace filters in the utility room. Looked at it, thought that I really needed to clean it out, closed the door and went back upstairs.

An hour later roomie and I were frantically removing everything from the utility room because the ejector pump failed and was flooding the basement. Thank god, it's laundry water and not toilet water!

Most of the clutter is paint cans. Some were there when we moved in. 2 gallons of a color that had been tried and rejected by a previous occupant and 9 pint cans of test colors from the living room got put on the free stuff section of Craigslist. One person coming tonight for the gallons, and someone hopefully coming tomorrow for the rest. If they flake out then I'll just put the ad back up.

Need to figure out which can of brown is the right color and use it for some touchups, then dispose of the other can. Also need to go through the rest and figure out what's actually on the walls, then get rid of the rest. Plus, I think the huge container of spackle has dried out and can get tossed. Already tossed the cardboard boxes that got wet.

Looking forward to getting the pump fixed so we can wash everything that got used for mopping up. Still working on the cleanup in the basement, but mostly trying to dry everything asap.

ouch! that sounds like a big mess, hope the pump gets fixed asap and you'll get a sparkling clean and decluttered basement!

All fixed now! Basement is just about back to normal - still have ventilation going to help with the drying process, but we think it's about 95% dry.

Got rid of 2 gallons of paint. The rest of the paint colors that aren't currently on the walls are in the garage, going to check them to see if they're still good (I suspect at least one isn't), and then put them up on Craigslist. The ones that are on the walls can stay.

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2049 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:32 AM »
For me it's been an ongoing struggle - both the DH and the two kiddos are more on the hoarder side - and while I'm not a hoarder, I have a lot of my own stuff that is pretty disorganized. I've been working on reducing the amount of "stuff" little by little - selling it on the FB tag-sale sites. No shipping like ebay and where our house is - not much ability for a tagsale. In the past month, I've managed to sell almost $300 worth of things, and probably about $1000 in the last 9 months or so. All of the proceeds going to our Early Retirement :)  Finally the Hubs and Kids are seeing the benefits and have started to randomly bring me things to post/sell for them. I've cleared/donated 3 bags of clothes from my closet (not even a dent - but not ready to MK it yet), and 3 bags of clothes from the kids closets. It's pretty overwhelming for me - we REALLY have a LOT of stuff - seriously UGH!! But getting there. The MMM mindset and this forum have really helped me to see where I'd like to be in comparison to where I am. I literally haven't even been to the mall since October 2014, which is HUGE for me - no mindless shopping and adding to the 'stuff'. It's a long road - and I really appreciate everyone on this forum that reminds me I'm not alone, I'm making progress, and there are lifetime rewards in sight. So thank you all!