Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850104 times)

celticmyst08

• Bristles
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1900 on: June 15, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
I just got Marie Kondo's decluttering book and read it last week. Overall, I really enjoyed it. We were gone over the weekend but now I want to start going through clothes. It's intimidating, because even though we have a smallish apartment, we have still managed to accumulate tons of useless crap. I know for a fact that most of my wardrobe does not spark joy!

My end goal is I want our home to be a retreat. We've made progress but I think we just need to bite the bullet and declutter all at once. The incremental "10 minutes a day" or "one room at a time" just hasn't worked for us.

Nancy

« Reply #1901 on: June 16, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
I find the Kondo book whimsical and fun. I have to admit that I can't get over her generalizations and claims based on anecdotal info (I keep thinking source? Oh right, her personal experience). However, I'm trying to take it for what it is.

SO and I have two bags of clothes to donate. It was really easy to go through clothes since I do not care about them at all. Most of the clothes I have were given to me by other people. Perfectly good! Sparking joy for clothes was based on utility and comfort (do I use it frequently and is it comfortable?).

Edited to add: I was surprised at how much the book actually helped me in getting rid of clothes., particularly nice items (coats, sweaters, dresses) that I had been holding on to purely because they were expensive (relatively) or of good quality even if I never wore them or they were uncomfortable.

Also, I really enjoy how honest Kondo is about her struggle with clutter. That was unexpected for me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:51:08 AM by Nancy »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1902 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:57 AM »
Just wondering what other's thoughts are on the issue of 'family heirlooms' or collections or such that are handed down to you. I have received some things that get little use (e.g. actual silver silverware, fancy Delftware, an extensive coin collection), but that have a great deal of sentimental value (and possible monetary value). Some of the items are potentially interesting to my children (e.g. the coins) or their future children. Other items I look at and sort of shrug - like weird tableware (e.g. some sort of fancy pickle bowl that no one ever uses any more). Nothing is taking up much space and it is all tucked away in a drawer that I can spare. I just find myself looking at it and wondering why I am hanging on to it - I can't really put it into use because it isn't the sort of thing that is useful on a daily basis and/or it is too old and fragile to be used regularly.

I have a much easier time decluttering books and clothing and misc. rubble. What do you all do about the sorts of things I've described above?

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1903 on: June 16, 2015, 10:52:29 AM »
Just wondering what other's thoughts are on the issue of 'family heirlooms' or collections or such that are handed down to you. I have received some things that get little use (e.g. actual silver silverware, fancy Delftware, an extensive coin collection), but that have a great deal of sentimental value (and possible monetary value). Some of the items are potentially interesting to my children (e.g. the coins) or their future children. Other items I look at and sort of shrug - like weird tableware (e.g. some sort of fancy pickle bowl that no one ever uses any more). Nothing is taking up much space and it is all tucked away in a drawer that I can spare. I just find myself looking at it and wondering why I am hanging on to it - I can't really put it into use because it isn't the sort of thing that is useful on a daily basis and/or it is too old and fragile to be used regularly.

I have a much easier time decluttering books and clothing and misc. rubble. What do you all do about the sorts of things I've described above?

I also hav received TONS of heirlooms and I kept what I like & hav a heap I will sell also ( high monetary value) . maybe keep items for your kids that you think of setting aside for them , esp if you hav the space.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1904 on: June 16, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »

I'd ask other family members if they want them before getting rid of them.  If no takers, don't feel guilty!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1905 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »

I also hav received TONS of heirlooms and I kept what I like & hav a heap I will sell also ( high monetary value) . maybe keep items for your kids that you think of setting aside for them , esp if you hav the space.

I'm getting ahead of that nightmare. I won't accept anything that I don't actually want. This works out to be very little.

When my parents are gone, my sister and I have a plan of action.
1. She and I take what we want (fairly short list)
2. Offer items to specific family members (considering the family origin of the item)
3. Offer items to general family (regardless of relationship to family origin of the item)
4. Offer items to friends
5. Sell/donate items.

Mom is generally aware of this and isn't really pleased, but mollified by the offering items to family. I think she thinks the family will take everything, while me and sis think that will be limited. We're also not willing to move stuff, so the family will have to come get things (or pay for shipping).

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1906 on: June 17, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »
I think once someone has died there is no reason for you not to do what you wish with the things which are now yours.  Freedom!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1907 on: June 17, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
I think once someone has died there is no reason for you not to do what you wish with the things which are now yours.  Freedom!

This seems discourteous to me if it's something someone else in the family would really want.  Why not offer and avoid any hurt feelings down the line?  (Note, I'm talking about sentimental items, not items family wants solely because it's valuable.)

Of course the onus can be on the family member to pick it up in a reasonable timeframe as agreed upon (or forfeit it).

Cookie

« Reply #1908 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
Be careful about offering it to other family members. I know some people may not want it, but could get very upset to learn that you are getting rid of it. I'm not saying don't offer to family, but be able to hold strong against their pressure for you to become the museum.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1909 on: June 18, 2015, 12:47:39 AM »

I'm facing a similar dilemma at the moment.  I'm offering relatives the opportunity to take things (one cousin is keeper of the family archive on that side, so is taking papers and photos and some artifacts).   If there are likely to be disputes, offer the whole lot at once with each family member choosing what they want in turn (draw lots for the order and with people who can't be there in person making a list of preferred items) until everything is gone.  If children don't have a home of their own yet and you have room, keep things for them until they are eg 21 or 25, and if they still don't want them pass them on to other family or sell them.

I'm keeping a few things for myself that I can use and have room for, making sure I have a little something from each family member I want to remember with love. I've limited the remaining photos to three albums - for my brother, myself, and a general historic one and the rest are being burnt.

Everything else valuable is going to auction - as the auctioneer said to me "sell what you don't want and use it to buy something you do want".

If you are hanging on to heirlooms, make sure the "story" is written down and goes with them - eg "teaset given to [relative] on getting married in [year]", as this is what gives them the "family value".

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: June 18, 2015, 04:06:52 AM »
Be careful about offering it to other family members. I know some people may not want it, but could get very upset to learn that you are getting rid of it. I'm not saying don't offer to family, but be able to hold strong against their pressure for you to become the museum.
This x1000

A relative gave us a lot of hand-me-down bits and pieces form her mother. We moved a few times and eventually found ourselves not needing them anymore. We checked if she'd like them back (nope she got rid of them because they didn't suit her house) and checked with other family members (also didn't want them) before donating them. When she found out we'd given them away she became very angry because they had sentimental value. I believe that it is unfair to expect another person to warehouse your sentimental items but many will get upset if you discard them.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1911 on: June 18, 2015, 04:42:24 AM »
The heirlooms talk is illuminating.

I cleaned out my desk drawers, which I had done before but I was more ruthless. Instead of looking at the usefulness of the item, instead I said to myself, if I didn't have one of these, would I go out and buy it? If the answer was no, I got rid.

My drawer is so much emptier! But this will only work if I completely stop impulse purchasing. So far, so good. I needed a few things from the chemist and I did not browse at all - just got what I went for. I was having something bound at Staples and thought, 'I'll have a wander about while I wait'. No. I would be tempted by all the pretty stationery (I'm looking at you, Martha Stewart). My decluttering is only going to work if I can continue to reduce what I bring in.

Nancy

« Reply #1912 on: June 18, 2015, 05:04:37 AM »
Nice work, advicist! I'll give that method a try. I forget about things in drawers so I clearly don't need any of it.

As for impulse purchases, before I buy anything  new I try to think of all the resources that went into making it and the route it may have had to travel to get to the store. (Then I take a step back and look at all of the items hanging on the one shelf in the one aisle of this one store, and on and on.) Then I ask if I can justify the purchase. Is the item and my use of it  worth those resources?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1913 on: June 18, 2015, 05:20:46 AM »
Nice work, advicist! I'll give that method a try. I forget about things in drawers so I clearly don't need any of it.

As for impulse purchases, before I buy anything  new I try to think of all the resources that went into making it and the route it may have had to travel to get to the store. (Then I take a step back and look at all of the items hanging on the one shelf in the one aisle of this one store, and on and on.) Then I ask if I can justify the purchase. Is the item and my use of it  worth those resources?

Thanks! It really helped me with things like 'headache balm'. Yes, one day I might get a headache and maybe would have used it. But when it runs out, am I going to buy another, or just deal with the headache?

I love the resource approach. That is one thing that stops me throwing things out - but it's wasteful! Think about the earth! I need to do that further up the chain and see whether the thing is really worth buying in the first place (especially toiletries where results are so varied for me. It's not worth the chance, because the guilt is too much if it doesn't work out).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1914 on: June 18, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »

Thanks! It really helped me with things like 'headache balm'. Yes, one day I might get a headache and maybe would have used it. But when it runs out, am I going to buy another, or just deal with the headache?

I love the resource approach. That is one thing that stops me throwing things out - but it's wasteful! Think about the earth! I need to do that further up the chain and see whether the thing is really worth buying in the first place (especially toiletries where results are so varied for me. It's not worth the chance, because the guilt is too much if it doesn't work out).

I'm relatively good on carefully thinking through purchases.  My issue is bringing in free items - things from my mom, a freebie from a site, a giveaway from people at the train, etc. - it comes from every which direction!  Just because it's free doesn't mean I should accept it!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1915 on: June 18, 2015, 07:55:04 AM »

I'm relatively good on carefully thinking through purchases.  My issue is bringing in free items - things from my mom, a freebie from a site, a giveaway from people at the train, etc. - it comes from every which direction!  Just because it's free doesn't mean I should accept it!
Oh god, this is me too! I opened the post this morning and received THREE free pads, and THREE free pens! Argggggghhh

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1916 on: June 18, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »

Oh god, this is me too! I opened the post this morning and received THREE free pads, and THREE free pens! Argggggghhh

Me three! But I've been getting much better at saying no thanks to my mom unless it is something that will actually be useful AND used (it often is).

Went through a little more paperwork last night and a couple shelves that I was dreading, full of memories, mostly from traveling. I got rid of about half of them with minimal effort! :) I didn't want to start decluttering last night, but my boyfriend persuaded me to just do it for 30 min. After 30 min I didn't want to stop! Then he helped me go through a drawer full of cords, because he has a better idea of what they are all for and whether I will ever need them. 'No dear, you likely won't ever use a landline phone cable ever again.' I certainly don't need 2 of them! I haven't had a land line in over 10 years.

A few more piles of paperwork and 2 shelves to go and I'll be finished that room (until phase 3). :)

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1917 on: June 18, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
I need to label cords when they come into the house, so years later I know what they go to.  I'm always terrified getting rid of cords for fear they go to something I've forgotten about (a not often used but still critical item), as it's happened before.  So I have a box of cords I go to when I need one, and hunt until I find something that works for the printer/external hard drive/cell phone I'm donating/device/random thingamabob...

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: June 18, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
I need to label cords when they come into the house, so years later I know what they go to.  I'm always terrified getting rid of cords for fear they go to something I've forgotten about (a not often used but still critical item), as it's happened before.  So I have a box of cords I go to when I need one, and hunt until I find something that works for the printer/external hard drive/cell phone I'm donating/device/random thingamabob...

I had that fear too, hence the huge drawer full of cords. Thankful for the boyfriend that knows what they all do. There was only one whose purpose neither of us could identify. Most of the big ones we tossed. When we went though the boxes for my computer parts (motherboard, power supply, etc) I kept most of the extra cords/pieces/adaptors/manuals/etc. The only ones I tossed were in the boxes for the parts on the previous computer which I no longer have. Even then we went through the box and made sure there was nothing useful left.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1919 on: June 18, 2015, 09:44:05 AM »

I stow my cords individually in ziplock bags with a 3x5 card indicating which device it belongs to.  This makes it easy to find the cord I'm looking for and keeps them from getting tangled up.

Nancy

« Reply #1920 on: June 18, 2015, 09:57:51 AM »
Rubic, for the organization win!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1921 on: June 18, 2015, 10:04:55 AM »

I stow my cords individually in ziplock bags with a 3x5 card indicating which device it belongs to.  This makes it easy to find the cord I'm looking for and keeps them from getting tangled up.

When I unpack a new thing w/ a cord I used a labeler to identify it. It really helps. I dumped a huge box of mystery cords and chargers about 2 years ago - and nothing happened. Earth did not tilt into the sun, no zombie apocalypse, etc. I figured if they were used infrequently enough to end up in the box chances were I wouldn't miss them.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #1922 on: June 18, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
Bike, toilet and carseat gone. Put on the curb.

3 bags of (mostly) clothes to goodwill. 2 more to friends.

And, best of all, dh organized all our music, on the computer. Discarded most of the CDs. Made some mp3s for the car. Yay!!!!! (Huge, long over due project, done!)

I went through the kids clothes, culled a good deal and then bought only what we needed. They are pleased, im pleased and I finally let go of the guilt I always feel. About buying clothes and giving them away at the same time. (The guilt is totally irrational, I know, because I'm giving away what we don't need and buying what we do. But somehow I still feel bad for it. I think because most of the kids clothes were given to us by very kind family and friends. )

We attacked the toys too. Summer is a good time for this, BC my kids want to spend their time outside, so they are less attached to the toys. They reach have a designated spot for personal toys. There are also spots for games, books, puzzles, sets of toys and at supplies. Everything must fit in its spot or something has to go. I think they are finally old enough to get this part of it.

I culled half of my clothes and bought a dozen new pieces ( I know, not so much of a capsule girl). But now it all fits me, all fits easily in my closet, I love it all and I am enjoying wearing it much more. I started a new job 6 weeks ago, and now I also feel comfortable with the appropriate dress for the office.

Next up to tackle are the kids at supplies and projects, home school supplies, books, etc. Again, summer is a good time for this. I'll also get everything planned and ready for the fall. My goal is to be finished in two weeks. ( I work outside the home full time, plus we are traveling next week.)

Thanks for all the encouragement!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:03:30 AM by abhe8 »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1923 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »

When I unpack a new thing w/ a cord I used a labeler to identify it. It really helps. I dumped a huge box of mystery cords and chargers about 2 years ago - and nothing happened. Earth did not tilt into the sun, no zombie apocalypse, etc. I figured if they were used infrequently enough to end up in the box chances were I wouldn't miss them.

Such bravery!  (This is a blind spot for me, because I am convinced it'll bring on a zombie apocalypse.)

I do have them coiled with the bread ties, so at least they are no longer one giant mass (like knotted jewelry chains).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:39:38 PM by Sparafusile »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1924 on: June 18, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »

Select family "heirlooms" I hav been keeping, I've asked other family members if they would like . usu the answer is yes. If a "no", I wouldn't mention I was donating/selling said item in that case, because somebody ( one fam member in particular ) would be upset. But this particular fam member would never say no to any item offered.

Nancy

« Reply #1925 on: June 19, 2015, 04:18:50 PM »
I went through books yesterday, which was pretty easy. I used to be unable to part with books. After summers away, I would give my clothes away to be able to bring my books back in my suitcase! Now, I pop them on Goodreads as read or to read, and I send them on their way. The ones we kept make me happy. Surprisingly, I had the most difficulty parting with my comic books. They are reading copies of new titles (not valuable), but I felt a pang in getting rid of them.   

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1926 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
I can see the light at the end of decluttering our home but still have a huge pile of things to sell. Every time I see that pile I worry about that clutter. How do you deal with selling pile? Do you keep it somewhere you can't see? Or do you try to sell all at once (like a yard sale) and be done with it?

Cookie

« Reply #1927 on: June 19, 2015, 05:35:09 PM »
I can see the light at the end of decluttering our home but still have a huge pile of things to sell. Every time I see that pile I worry about that clutter. How do you deal with selling pile? Do you keep it somewhere you can't see? Or do you try to sell all at once (like a yard sale) and be done with it?

I either price the items to sell quickly or donate them. Once I want to get rid of the clutter, keeping it for weeks to sell is really frustrating to me.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #1928 on: June 20, 2015, 09:46:24 AM »
Finally can see the light at the end of the decluttering tunnel. Had a huge garage sale a few weeks ago that was very successful.  Have been selling on FB garage sale groups and craigslist. Every time we visit one of our adult children we bring along a box of their stuff- they can decide if they want to keep it. It feels great to have less stuff!

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1929 on: June 20, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
I finally unloaded a vintage stereoscopic viewer yesterday.  It had been sitting on freecycle.org for weeks and somebody finally came to pick it up.  I've been selling a bunch of stuff on ebay, but the viewer would have been a hassle.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1930 on: June 20, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
Our important papers have been finally sorted. I need to take the unwanted papers for shredding but other than that, that area is clean and done. One down, last two areas to go (my jewelry and kitchen)! Yay!!

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #1931 on: June 20, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
working on going through 35 years of memories today (pictures, things we saved, journals, report cards, letters, drawings, trophies, etc etc etc.) hoping to walk away for enough to make a book about the history of us that i can get printed like a regular book.  Then all i have left is the holiday stuff and a whole year of purging stuff from our house will come to a much lighter, and much more organized end. 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1932 on: June 20, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Awesome Mrs.Stubble. I've been decluttering for two months now and can't wait for it to end. You pulled through one whole year of decluttering. You give me hope. Truly awesome!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1933 on: June 20, 2015, 05:31:22 PM »
I am working on decluttering a drawer at work. It had been a repository for various things, including plastic bags to recycle, an item that I bought online that needs to be dropped off at UPS to be returned, and mostly papers and more papers to be shredded. Finally, this past week, every day I shredded a stack here and stack there, and now the papers are gone! I'm aiming to recycle the plastic bags and mail the package on Monday.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1934 on: June 20, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »
Commoncents, I was thinking specifically about the wishes of the dead, not of the other relatives. I too would want to offer things to certain relatives (depending on the relatives).

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1935 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
I got rid of some more stuff, the end of a lipstick, an eyeliner I didn't like and I'm collecting up another bag to go to donation.:)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1936 on: June 21, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
You guys inspire me.  After reading this thread I have de cluttered the coffe table (a chest) of 3 blankets, the hall tree of a grocery bag full of old hats and falling apart gloves, the curio cabinet of 6 things I inherited but don't love.  I am also washing all the hats and gloves in the house.  B/c OMG the dog hair!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1937 on: June 21, 2015, 05:30:52 PM »
My husband gathered up some kitchen stuff (including these dessert dishes we got as a wedding gift that we never use...but he didn't want to give up...we've been married 19 years), some kids stuff, and some clothing to give away.

I am giving away our crib/toddler bed (probably leaving the house tomorrow).  I thought about selling it (re: the Craigslist thing above), but my research locally was telling me that most of the ads in our local FB group - the cribs didn't really sell at all.  Not sure why.  So I found a friend of a friend who needs one.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1938 on: June 21, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
We put our love seat and a chair curbside and they were gone fast.  We thought about buying a recliner to fill the space and found a comfy one, but we are going to wait to decide if we need one.  House looks bigger and less cluttered.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1939 on: June 21, 2015, 07:24:14 PM »
My husband gathered up some kitchen stuff (including these dessert dishes we got as a wedding gift that we never use...but he didn't want to give up...we've been married 19 years), some kids stuff, and some clothing to give away.

I am giving away our crib/toddler bed (probably leaving the house tomorrow).  I thought about selling it (re: the Craigslist thing above), but my research locally was telling me that most of the ads in our local FB group - the cribs didn't really sell at all.  Not sure why.  So I found a friend of a friend who needs one.

I've heard standards have changed regarding crib sizes/gaps in bars etc. because it can cause deaths.  So if I, a non-parent have heard that, I imagine my friends who are expecting have heard it all the more so and are paranoid about accepting a hand me down crib of unknown standards.  I just typed in "using old cribs" into google and it wanted me to go to "danger using old cribs" so it's likely a well searched issue.  Here's one article on it:
http://www.willowspediatrics.com/blog/207/for-new-parents-using-older-cribs-is-potentially-dangerous/

Seems to be cribs 10+ years old that are the problem.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #1940 on: June 22, 2015, 01:47:18 AM »
I finally took pictures of an entire pile of clothing last night. Listed it on craigslist and if it is still there on Friday it goes out the door. Not gonna keep it around any longer.

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1941 on: June 22, 2015, 04:58:21 AM »
While reading Marie Kondo I realised that while I'm fairly minimalistic I have a ton of stuff at my parents house. Mostly because of silly reasons such as:
1. when I moved I didn't have a bookshelf and therefore left most of my books (A fair number of my posessions back then were books) for "later" (a point of time that, as we all know, never arives). 6 years later? I still don't miss most of them.
2. Things were stored in boxes. Like a heap of teddybears and winter clothes and old notes from uni and my collection of cartoons and so on.

I will not be using 99% of all this stuff and plan to go through this summer and purge.

Oddly enough, getting rid of these things (I've started a box at a time and am currently having great fun re-reading old manga before I will donate them) though they do not clutter my house and are not in the way in my parents big house, makes me feel lighter.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1942 on: June 22, 2015, 05:00:59 AM »
while I'm fairly minimalistic I have a ton of stuff at my parents house.
Same here. Should really work on that.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1943 on: June 22, 2015, 07:44:40 AM »
Charity donation pick-up is coming Friday. This week the kids are at their Dads house all week - so I have time for more decluttering. I am going to dig into those cabinets and shelves that are rarely used, get the junk drawer under control. I am even going to get rid of storage baskets - because the contents of the baskets has been moved along. Hoping to have a pretty substantial collection of stuff to go to charity.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1944 on: June 22, 2015, 08:13:24 AM »
I realised that while I'm fairly minimalistic I have a ton of stuff at my parents house.

My Mom actually had me clean out the stuff at her house. I took what I wanted, and left the rest for her to donate or toss (like every single one of my report cards K-12!)
My Dad went through the donation pile and insisted I didn't really want to give away most of it (clearly I NEED my high school drill team cowboy hat, right?), and put it back in storage.  5-years later, I went through it again, told her I wanted to donate it, and she set it in the garage. My Dad "rescued" half of it, again.

I've now told her this is my Dad's stuff, not mine.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #1945 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »
We did a good cleaning on Saturday before my parents arrived from out of state. Since we've been decluttering more regularly so far this year, as well as buying less, we noticed it was quite easy to do a top to bottom clean in just a couple hours. DH looked around and said "Wow, this looks great. Can we keep it like this more often?"

Next up: Going through all our clothes. Not looking forward to that.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1946 on: June 22, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
We did a good cleaning on Saturday before my parents arrived from out of state. Since we've been decluttering more regularly so far this year, as well as buying less, we noticed it was quite easy to do a top to bottom clean in just a couple hours. DH looked around and said "Wow, this looks great. Can we keep it like this more often?"

I've noticed the cleaning thing too. On Sunday morning we did laundry, swept, hoovered in what felt like half the time it usually takes. Amazing what a different just 10% less stuff has. (Hmm, I wonder what percentage I have got rid of? 1000 things so far this year. I'd actually be embarrassed if I have 10000 after reading so many people with 100, so hopefully it's more like a 25% reduction? Oh dear, now I want to count!)

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1947 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:01 AM »
I went home this weekend and my mom always has tons us stuff for me. Picked up all of the clothes she laid out with the intention of sending most of them to twice; keeping three black tops and a black floral Old Navy dress which I'm wearing today. Also a white top which I may just use as a rag. I probably have too many black tops, but I actually have gotten rid of some lately. She had a collection of different colored new tank tops which I also took in the intent to stencil them and give them to my cousin and her friends when they visit for her bachelorette in two months. Now to get fabric paint...

Also brought home a bunch of books from my bedroom with the sole intent of trying to re-sell them at the strand.  I figure I didn't read them before, don't really care to read them now, and can maybe get some cash. Some kitchen stuff acme home with me too, but it will be useful: a big nice platter (I host pretty often), a pastry brush which was on my buy list, some peppercorns and mustard and tapenade and jam.

My mom has too much stuff so getting it out of the house is good, though she does also buy things with the idea to give them to me, so I'm not sure that I'm actually helping. I will use the stuff though, even the things going immediately to twice--I see it as a zero-cost opportunity to perhaps make a few dollars. Someday I really need to go home to help clear out the garage, basement, side room--but I know my mom doesn't actually want me to do this, even though she needs the help. Maybe as she gets older I'll think about this more seriously.

Also brought home a radio and a laptop, I guess I am not really at full on decluttering mode but both have been on my mental list! I swear I did get rid of some stuff last week (via clothing swap, book selling, and as a trade for someone's stuff) and have clothes I intend to re-sell soon...I'm not exactly sure if I'm just doing a 1 in 1 out situation here with the simultaneous recent acquisitions. But at least nothing is stagnant, which I think ultimately helps individual items from becoming too much of a permanent fixture.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #1948 on: June 22, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »

I've noticed the cleaning thing too. On Sunday morning we did laundry, swept, hoovered in what felt like half the time it usually takes. Amazing what a different just 10% less stuff has. (Hmm, I wonder what percentage I have got rid of? 1000 things so far this year. I'd actually be embarrassed if I have 10000 after reading so many people with 100, so hopefully it's more like a 25% reduction? Oh dear, now I want to count!)

It really does make a huge difference, I think mainly because I don't have to pick up stuff off the floor, put things away, etc. All I have to do is clean the surfaces (dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, etc).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1949 on: June 22, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
while I'm fairly minimalistic I have a ton of stuff at my parents house.
Same here. Should really work on that.

I'm very proud of myself here. There is nothing at my parents house that should be in mine. (Items which they may give me in the future/I'll inherit aren't counted.)