Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850094 times)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1850 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »
I just cleaned the inside of my kitchen cupboards and found some wheat noodles that need to be used up.

I forgot I had bought some mini pizza bases which I will be using this week as I have fresh tomatoes that could be used to make a pizza topping.

I decided I am going to go through my clothes again and see what I haven't worn that can go to a charity shop or if it's tatty to clothing recycling.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1851 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
Did another sweep through the bathroom cabinets last night.  Threw out a few more items and gathered things that can be used up  like half empty bottles of shampoo or body wash.  These I put in places where I will use them.  I am feeling much better even though I still kept some questionable things that probably should be thrown out eventually.

Also started purging papers this morning while I was transferring some files to a new computer.

Question: how long do I need to hold on to these types of papers:
- confirmation of final student loan payoff from over 10 years ago
- purchase and sale paperwork for a house (bought in 2003 sold in 2012)
- information relating to a 401k that I rolled over to an IRA 5 years ago
- car accident paperwork that ended up in a lawsuit (settled by the insurance co) more than 10 years ago

I've been keeping them in case questions arise relating to them but it seems that at some point they should be thrown out?

For peace of mind would you be able to scan them?

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1852 on: June 09, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
Did another sweep through the bathroom cabinets last night.  Threw out a few more items and gathered things that can be used up  like half empty bottles of shampoo or body wash.  These I put in places where I will use them.  I am feeling much better even though I still kept some questionable things that probably should be thrown out eventually.

Also started purging papers this morning while I was transferring some files to a new computer.

- car accident paperwork that ended up in a lawsuit (settled by the insurance co) more than 10 years ago

I've been keeping them in case questions arise relating to them but it seems that at some point they should be thrown out?

Car accident statute of limitations is certainly up, so there's no reason to keep that anymore.  The house information is likely on record with your county recorder, so there's no need for you to keep it.  Final student loan payoff I'd keep.  I'd double check that the 401(K) is included in the IRA papers and then shred that, too. 

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #1853 on: June 09, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
So far this has been a good rule for me: If I'm treating the books as if they are museum treasures, and not reading them, they have to go.

Love the visuals :)

I agree that's a good rule, except w/r/t one book - an 1800s copy of a Grimm's fairytales I own from my grandfather.  Not worthy of selling (as I did actually read it ~age 16-20 when I got it from my grandfather and despite my extreme care, the pages fell apart), but sufficient sentiment that I will keep it!

The pictures remind me of the house I grew up in.  I think a lot of people struggle with keeping books.  I've been able to keep my book acquisition habit reasonably under control by being limited to three bookcases that were a gift when I was young.  Since then I have never gone beyond the bookcase limit, which has meant tossing a lot of books over time as I got new ones.  What is left are a lot of ones I look at again and again, and the bookcases aren't full.  Also I reread old ones regularly, and now just utilize the library.  So while I do still have more books than I might like, I don't feel out-of-control about it either.  I'm certainly not going to toss them all just for the sake of it.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1854 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:51 PM »
So far this has been a good rule for me: If I'm treating the books as if they are museum treasures, and not reading them, they have to go.

I agree that's a good rule, except w/r/t one book - an 1800s copy of a Grimm's fairytales I own from my grandfather.  Not worthy of selling (as I did actually read it ~age 16-20 when I got it from my grandfather and despite my extreme care, the pages fell apart), but sufficient sentiment that I will keep it!

The pictures remind me of the house I grew up in.  I think a lot of people struggle with keeping books.  I've been able to keep my book acquisition habit reasonably under control by being limited to three bookcases that were a gift when I was young.  Since then I have never gone beyond the bookcase limit, which has meant tossing a lot of books over time as I got new ones.  What is left are a lot of ones I look at again and again, and the bookcases aren't full.  Also I reread old ones regularly, and now just utilize the library.  So while I do still have more books than I might like, I don't feel out-of-control about it either.  I'm certainly not going to toss them all just for the sake of it.

I think the difference b/w a lot of people here is how often you reread your books.  I reread mine and I also read fast.  Not every one gets read every year, but some get reread multiple times, and some might be more on a 3 year reread schedule.  I'm ok with this.  Given by my appreciation of the visual - to me, it's décor, not clutter.  To another, it'd be clutter (but something they have I'd consider clutter).  I have enough clutter clutter to work on for now!

I believe you are to hold onto tax paperwork related to houses for 7 years.  Maybe use that as a guideline?  I would keep it plus the loan payoff (but perhaps scan it).  The other two I'd toss.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1855 on: June 09, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »
Droopy pants and blazer out ( keeping the skirt ) .

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1856 on: June 09, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Worked through some more piles of paperwork today. Tossed out (rather, put in the 'to shred' pile) tax returns from 1997 to 2007. Got rid of my jr high and high school report cards, and post-secondary records. I had no idea I still had them! There were account statements of all sorts from accounts I no longer have. After about 2 hours I neared the end of the pile the paperwork and they became more recent and it wasn't as easy to know what I needed to keep, so I stopped for the day. There is still a full filing cabinet drawer and 3 small piles to go, but I feel like I made great progress the last coupe days. :D

Anje

• Stubble
« Reply #1857 on: June 10, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »
Took out the full content of my wardrobe last night. I keep it down and managed (I toss out clothes I don't wear/that's worn out regularly) but still ended up with 1 bag of donatable items, 1/2 a bag for fabric reuse and 1/4 bag of junk. And to be honest: I didn't sort through the summer clothes. Summer is so long ago I can't remember what I like to wear. It's just 2 tiny piles, though. Will sort through it in fall.

I don't like to actually send anything to be incinerated unless it has absolutely no use, so I love the fact that they have started re-using fabric. Makes fleeze and blankets, I'm told. Also makes me not feel guilty about getting rid of things.

Will try to take a small pile of items to my used things store this weekend. And then try to sell some old movies and games I never use.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1858 on: June 10, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »
Thanks Nancy, love the idea of a FIRE pit for ceremonial corporate clothes burning!

I moved a few months ago and combined households with my partner. On the weekend we dragged a whole pile of boxes in from the shed to sort and unpack (doing this in stages as we're renovating and not all rooms are useable). It's cold here and I'm not really in the mood but I am DETERMINED to get through a few tonight with a cup of hot tea and some trashy TV. I WILL do it! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1859 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:19 AM »
FINALLY recycled an old iphone that belonged to an ex who had wanted to throw it out. This was probably two years ago!! Dropped it off to Best Buy. Also getting ready to soon finally bring some household stuff to Housing Works and another small batch of books (once I cull them) to re-sell/fund a father's day gift. And I avoided taking two pairs of high heels in my size that were out in my neighborhood recently--I was interested but would never actually wear them. Previously I'd never hesitate!

expectopatronum

• Stubble
« Reply #1860 on: June 10, 2015, 09:43:52 AM »
I'm a third through the Magi of Tidying audio book and I'm not terribly impressed. She is definitely an odd one. I don't think it helps that the audiobook sounds like they're trying to impersonate a computer generated voice. Thnk GLaDOS, but with less personality.

Personally, I think the main thing she's selling - to keep only things that give you joy - doesn't make sense. Not everything is made to give you joy. Most tools are just tools. Does this USB cable give me joy? No, but it takes up a small amount of space and I like to have an extra one for certain situations. A bag of screws certainly doesn't give me joy, but that bag has saved me several trips to a hardware store.

I think a big problem I have is that I'm already pretty minimal and organized so most of her advice doesn't help me. I was hoping for something that would push me to go farther, but this book hasn't. I can't say it hasn't done anything for me, though. It has given me some motivation to go through some more stuff and make another pile for donation.

I've got this on request at the library and can't wait to actually read the book. It's not something I want to pay for as I think once you have the principles down, you're set...it's not like a fiction novel where you can re-read it over and over. (Or maybe I'm the only one who's read Harry Potter 7 a zillion times?)

I've only read news articles and blogs on it to glean the basic premise, and so far I like it a LOT. My problem is, I was hanging onto a lot more old stuff than I thought, some of which I didn't like anymore or need since I now live with my husband. I thought I was pretty minimal having just moved from an apt, but turns out I was porting tons of crap I didn't use from place to place with every move.

I view the things that are mostly utility (cables, that kind of thing) as "bringing me joy" in the sense that they are allowing me to fulfill a certain function. I wonder how much of that is lost in translation, since joy isn't the word I'd use to describe our mop or our toilet bowl cleaners, haha. Another valuable thing it's done for me is to just reduce my consumerism for eco-reasons. Where is this thing going to go? Is it really worth it? Vs before, when all I really thought about was if it was worth the temporary happiness, despite MMM's admonishing.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #1861 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
This is an electronic one - we moved house last year and sold it a couple of months ago. I went through my credit union online bill payee list and deleted any related to the old house that I would never have to pay anymore. Makes things simpler as two utility companies were the same as we only moved 17 miles closer to my work, just different account numbers. I hadn't mixed them up, but this makes sure I won't.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1862 on: June 10, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »

+1 on the pictures :)

I too have a book problem. My solution has been to severely limit the number of books I buy. I have a set amount of space for books, and that isn't changing. However, I am a re-reader. Books like I like and re-read, I'm fine owning. Books that I need for reference (Joy of Cooking, etc) I'll keep. Beyond that, if I won't re-read it, then I shouldn't keep it. Of course, the purges only happen when I run out of space...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1863 on: June 10, 2015, 12:59:10 PM »

Personally, I'd toss or shred all of those items.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1864 on: June 10, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
Thanks to all who responded to my questions about retention of paperwork.

I will shred the accident and 401k paperwork, file house paperwork with the tax returns for the year of sale and scan the loan payoff confirmation.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1865 on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
Last night I sold 2 bulky photography props I have.  2 less things to move and $35 in my pocket :)

Cookie

« Reply #1866 on: June 10, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
I cleaned out my craft/sewing supplies last night. I went through my keep pile and asked myself if I was keeping it to actually use, or keeping it because it was aspirational stuff. Some things I really couldn't tell. I was hoping to part with more, but it's still progress.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1867 on: June 10, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
I am currently planning for a cross country move. So currently very motivated to declutter and looking at what I own in a different light. I wonder if thinking "would I take it with me if I moved interstate" help any of you guys to make decisions.
Like most kids I have some "stuff" ay my folks house but I am pretty certain it's stuff I may need again not just junk. (Example, my modem is there, but I currently share my neighbors connection, I will be taking this on the move as they cost $100 and I think I'll need it, unless I can find another neighbour. Other example: half my crockery - after I moved from a house to an apartment I knew I would no longer be hosting dinner parties for 8. Kind of useful to have as I do break things and this way can take from this pile as needed.) However I fully intend to go through it in detail to confirm next time I see them.

Cookie

« Reply #1868 on: June 11, 2015, 02:50:58 AM »
Today I sold 3 baking pans and a fancy food warmer. I also donated a grocery bag worth of clothes and books, three pots, 5 baking pans 4 mixing bowls and a crockpot! I upgraded the pots so not entirely empty cupboards, but I did decide to get rid of most of my baking supplies. We really don't eat desserts, and if I have to buy them instead of easily make them, then we will be encouraged to eat even less.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1869 on: June 11, 2015, 03:12:25 AM »
Some more clothes into the consignment pile, just need to find an opportunity to drop them off (and soon, because they are summer stock).

I needed a flannel, after deciding to get rid of them all! Luckily they hadn't gone to the recycling yet, so I got one (just one) out to keep.

And I cleaned out my shoebox of Christmas decorations (yeah, I don't really do much, some fairy lights and a few baubles) because I wanted the box for something else and I found a stack of cut up old Christmas cards I was obviously planning to make gift tags out of. Well, they're gone. I have loads of tags already, I don't need another half done craft hanging around. Bonus was that I could use an ever smaller shoe box going forward.

I'm getting really close to 1000 things decluttered this year!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1870 on: June 11, 2015, 05:39:01 AM »
Today I sold 3 baking pans and a fancy food warmer. I also donated a grocery bag worth of clothes and books, three pots, 5 baking pans 4 mixing bowls and a crockpot! I upgraded the pots so not entirely empty cupboards, but I did decide to get rid of most of my baking supplies. We really don't eat desserts, and if I have to buy them instead of easily make them, then we will be encouraged to eat even less.
That's about where we are, except SWMBO has celiac disease so buying desserts isn't a real option. Still, we eat dessert like twice a month or something and the baking stuff is by far the least used kitchen equipment we own. And when we do eat dessert it's often pudding that uses the same saucepans as everything else.

Edited to add: will you need a name change now? :p

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1871 on: June 11, 2015, 07:39:56 AM »
Any ideas for what to do with an old letterman jacket?  It takes up space and I never wear it but there's still a bit of sentiment attached to it.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1872 on: June 11, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »
I need to spend some time on the kitchen.  That bundt cake pan I got as a wedding present and have never used?  It needs to go.  Lots of tools and gadgets and bowls and whatever that can go. 

It's a busy summer before our move, but I really want to get a lot more stuff out before we get packed up. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1873 on: June 11, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
I am currently planning for a cross country move. So currently very motivated to declutter and looking at what I own in a different light. I wonder if thinking "would I take it with me if I moved interstate" help any of you guys to make decisions.

Absolutely. I consider this question when I am deciding to keep something or not (the answer is almost always 'hell no'). I'm not planning on moving for a couple years, but it's still a great question to ask while decluttering now. :)

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1874 on: June 11, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Any ideas for what to do with an old letterman jacket?  It takes up space and I never wear it but there's still a bit of sentiment attached to it.

• Take a digital photo of your jacket.
  • Put the photo in your electronic scrapbook.
  • Get rid of the jacket.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1875 on: June 11, 2015, 10:54:12 AM »

I took the letters off mine and sold the jacket at a rummage sale.  I decided that the real sentiment was in the letters, and those are virtually two-dimensional and easily fit in the box of memorabilia I keep. 

Cookie

« Reply #1876 on: June 11, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »
Edited to add: will you need a name change now? :p

OH NO! dangit.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1877 on: June 11, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »

Absolutely. I consider this question when I am deciding to keep something or not (the answer is almost always 'hell no'). I'm not planning on moving for a couple years, but it's still a great question to ask while decluttering now. :)
This question was useless for me until we were actually considering an interstate move. Then all of a sudden a lot of things got earmarked for disposal! Several of those items are ones we won't get rid of unless we make a move because we do use them (couches) and i would simply want to get new ones at the new place. Also because I've tried selling them on Gumtree and I'm not ready to put them up for free until we move, which should be at the end of this year even if its just to a new place in the same city.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1878 on: June 11, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »
It works really well for paperwork and clothes and sentimentals... But perhaps less well for furniture ;-) if I applied this too liberally I would be sleeping on the floor (my I got it second hand and have had it for 5 years mattress will not be making the journey).  But yeah it's been good. Also everything out and only the useful stuff back in helps at lot. I have done the bathroom and pantry scanning both for out of date items or items I will never use. If I hadn't emptied both out onto the floor first I don't think I would have got rid of as much

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1879 on: June 11, 2015, 08:21:05 PM »
Has anyone tracked all of their items in a spreadsheet? I'm kind of interested in doing it. I think it would be a good way to see how much I have and what I can get rid of. I do worry that tracking my items would make me spend more time thinking about them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1880 on: June 11, 2015, 08:36:11 PM »
Has anyone tracked all of their items in a spreadsheet? I'm kind of interested in doing it. I think it would be a good way to see how much I have and what I can get rid of. I do worry that tracking my items would make me spend more time thinking about them.

Yes, I did when I was trying to get rid of 7 things a day for a month - in part to track, in part to record for donations.  I ended up getting rid of 500+ items...but sometimes pushed the envelope on number (e.g. I got rid of say, 7 tubes of travel toothpaste, or chapstick etc and called it 7.  Technically correct but a lot of small items released didn't get me far).

Nancy

« Reply #1881 on: June 12, 2015, 07:21:35 AM »
MonkeyJenga, that's some impressive tracking!

I finally got the Kondo book after six months on the library waiting list. I might write about my experience in the ol' journal so I don't clog up this thread.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1882 on: June 12, 2015, 09:13:56 AM »

I printed off an excel 'spreadsheet' of 2015 boxes outlined. I just put a mark in each box as something leaves the house. Low tech, but easy to keep track of and very motivating.

Every so often my husband will throw something away and then say, "Now you can go and put a tick on your sheet!", it kind of makes it into a game.

Also, I NEVER would have guessed I would be at 950 odd if I hadn't tracked it. It's unbelievable how quickly it adds up - and how quickly I have forgotten what all that stuff even was.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1883 on: June 12, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »

Yes, I did when I was trying to get rid of 7 things a day for a month - in part to track, in part to record for donations.  I ended up getting rid of 500+ items...but sometimes pushed the envelope on number (e.g. I got rid of say, 7 tubes of travel toothpaste, or chapstick etc and called it 7.  Technically correct but a lot of small items released didn't get me far).

btw, I stopped because it became too time consuming for the benefit to me.  For me, after the initial boost it provided me as encouragement to get going, it was better to look at the clean space as a market of success than lines on the spreadsheet.  YMMV

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1884 on: June 12, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
I think I am the slowest declutterer ever. But I also don't have a ton that needs to go so that works out, I guess. Slow and steady...brought in a big bag of books today to re-sell next week, and also brought in the collected plastic bags under the sink to recycle next door to my work. Lord knows we always accrue more.

I had an interesting experience at the grocery store the other night on that note. This is a place that asks for your id every time you use a card to pay. They usually use a ton of plastic bags in packing groceries but the neighborhood is gentrifying rapidly and the other night the young woman before me and the young man behind me (and me) all had our own canvas bags. But first the plastic bags had to be unpacked because it's the default. A strange type of culture clash.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1885 on: June 12, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
I go for the pre-emptive strike in this situation.  My fabric bag is put on top of the groceries, so the first thing the cashier handles is the bag.

They usually use a ton of plastic bags in packing groceries but the neighborhood is gentrifying rapidly and the other night the young woman before me and the young man behind me (and me) all had our own canvas bags. But first the plastic bags had to be unpacked because it's the default. A strange type of culture clash.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1886 on: June 12, 2015, 11:22:30 AM »
Rat63, that's good! I am often fumbling with my wallet and/r planning on stuffing everything into my main bag, but I hope one day to reach this level of preparedness...

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1887 on: June 12, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
My laundry room is clean!!!! I know exactly what is in there (we still have some odds and ends and my husband's sports stuff) and even have some bare shelves. We don't have a garage and our laundry room doubles up as odds and ends storage. After years..... And it's not even weekend yet. I'm smiling all day now :)

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1888 on: June 12, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
Go cutenila!

We loaded my boyfriends car FULL of boxes for the thrift store this morning ... then it wouldn't start :/

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1889 on: June 12, 2015, 07:07:13 PM »
Go cutenila!

We loaded my boyfriends car FULL of boxes for the thrift store this morning ... then it wouldn't start :/

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1890 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:26 PM »
Donated a bag of clothes & dishes to a thrift shop today and gav painting supplies to parents. 

Cougar

• Bristles
« Reply #1891 on: June 12, 2015, 08:22:57 PM »

Also donating some clothes to goodwill.

And throwing out some Christmas decorations. I still have a fake tree, lights and manger display but i used to go really overboard for Christmas and am finally cutting back to reasonable.(Well, almost reasonable. Kept the 8 foot inflatable snowman. Ok, so; i've cut back on how far overboard i go for Christmas).

Cookie

« Reply #1892 on: June 12, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »
This week I've made $115 from selling stuff!

Nancy

« Reply #1893 on: June 13, 2015, 06:20:14 AM »
Nice work ,Cookie! Feels good to turn your unneeded stuff into usable dollars.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1894 on: June 13, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
I gave a newly-retired friend the coupons that came in today's early edition Sunday newspaper.  My coupon cloth runneth over and I know she can use them.  Less paper recycling for me to deal with too.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1895 on: June 14, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
SO went through all our bags with me. Got rid of 2 laptop bags, a backpack and a ratty handbag.

The best bit was that he went through a box of paperwork from school/uni and got rid of most of it. I am so pleased with our progress over the weekend!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1896 on: June 14, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Sold a trailer for $200 on Craigslist.  It was one of those things that never get done - my wife bought it, so it was her responsibility, but she wanted me to sell it, because that's my job.  So, it never got done.  My backyard is looking better!  Also put 4 chairs out for free in front of our house.  Gone in minutes.  In the process of cleaning out the garage.  Realized we had an extra table, so I am no longer planning to buy a desk for the guest room/office.

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #1897 on: June 15, 2015, 01:54:40 AM »
We got rid of a matraze this weekend. We have so much more space in the basement now and can access the back shelf to get rid of more clutter.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1898 on: June 15, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »
Well, I got rid of clothes and then brought more clothes in. But some of the clothes (free) will probably be donated as they were a bulk pick-up. And four small household things are gone that won't be coming back. Books to be taken for re-selling tomorrow.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1899 on: June 15, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »
Cleaned up our hall closet. Crossed 1000 items either donated or thrown out. Also found five pairs of shoes/sandals that were lurking in there.

Next up, papers. Starting to get closer and closer to done and I'm getting excited at the prospect of a decluttered home.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!