Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850141 times)

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1600 on: May 07, 2015, 06:26:16 AM »
Out:

Bag of clothing and shoes
1 vegetable pealer
1 can high heat paint
1 bag of organic fertilizer
Notes from this semester scanned and recycled
1 box books - I packed the small box I want to keep. The rest are out and accessible so I can read the this summer, they will all be donated before I move whether I read them or not.

2 sewing projects complete and ready for pickup.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1601 on: May 07, 2015, 06:45:45 AM »
Why do you declutter?

I want everything I own to be relevant to my life and to make me happy; no clutter for the sake of having "stuff."
Being conscious about consumption is good for the environment; decluttering helps me realize just how much unnecessary crap I've consumed.
I want to focus my energy toward people and relationships, not the things I own.
I live in 800 sq ft; if I don't declutter I'll be over-run.
^ Relevant for being a good role model for any future progeny I have.

Also:
I like a (relatively) minimalist aesthetic.
I hate cleaning, and not having as much crap means I can clean less frequently and it takes less time.
We'll be moving eventually (2-3 years), and the less stuff to haul, the better.

Nancy

« Reply #1602 on: May 07, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »
Why do you declutter?

I live in a tiny apartment with limited storage space, so extra stuff=cramped living.
I also want cleaning to be a lot easier without having to move boxes/stuff around that I don't use.
I want the things that I do use to be accessible.
Stuff weighs me down. I have a lot of unfinished projects that sort of hang over me as constant "to dos." I want to cut those loose and free myself of them, only keeping the projects that I'm happy to complete.
I'd rather someone get use out of an item, otherwise it's being wasted by me (part of my enviro/usefulness bent).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1603 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
What would everyone here answer to this

Why do you declutter?

My SO just doesn't really understand why I'm doing it.
I told her that I want to concentrate on things that make me happy or give my life value.
DVDs that I will never watch again give me no pleasure and just stand there in the shelf (admittedly not hurting anyone).
Things I haven't used in ages and know I wont be using again any time soon or even ever are all on their way out.
She seems to think we have the space for them so why not keep them‽
She is still of the mindset that her bookshelf looks nice even though she will never again touch 99% of the books in it.
I told her if it makes her happy by all means keep them but I won't be keeping mine.
Because I hate seeing stuff go to waste. If someone can use it, great!!

Because I hate cleaning!

Because I like open airy spaces.

Because I love the lightness having less stuff brings to mind - less to worry about, less to maintain and definitely less to hold on to!

Because if I have less, I find I enjoy the ones I have more. I recently went from 500+ books to 20. Guess which books get read and reread and give joy every time? Heck! I get joy just seeing all my favorites stacked in my book shelf instead of dreading the boxes of books stored in my storage.

Because it makes me badass!! Decluttering had taught me how much less I need to live a happy, full life! (And I'm barely scratching the surface... I'm sure I can live on 10% of what I have and still be happy - 50% would still be a decadent life)

Because it makes life easy.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1604 on: May 07, 2015, 07:35:45 AM »
What would everyone here answer to this

Why do you declutter?

My SO just doesn't really understand why I'm doing it.
I told her that I want to concentrate on things that make me happy or give my life value.
DVDs that I will never watch again give me no pleasure and just stand there in the shelf (admittedly not hurting anyone).
Things I haven't used in ages and know I wont be using again any time soon or even ever are all on their way out.
She seems to think we have the space for them so why not keep them‽
She is still of the mindset that her bookshelf looks nice even though she will never again touch 99% of the books in it.
I told her if it makes her happy by all means keep them but I won't be keeping mine.
Because I hate seeing stuff go to waste. If someone can use it, great!!

Because I hate cleaning!

Because I like open airy spaces.

Because I love the lightness having less stuff brings to mind - less to worry about, less to maintain and definitely less to hold on to!

Because if I have less, I find I enjoy the ones I have more. I recently went from 500+ books to 20. Guess which books get read and reread and give joy every time? Heck! I get joy just seeing all my favorites stacked in my book shelf instead of dreading the boxes of books stored in my storage.

Because it makes me badass!! Decluttering had taught me how much less I need to live a happy, full life! (And I'm barely scratching the surface... I'm sure I can live on 10% of what I have and still be happy - 50% would still be a decadent life)

Because it makes life easy.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1605 on: May 07, 2015, 07:44:22 AM »
Why do you declutter?

Because too much stuff sets off OCD
Because I hate having to move things in order to vacuum
Because I've seen what a horder-in-training looks like and it repulses me
Because I don't like to dust
Because I know that when I buy a house it'll be small

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1606 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
Decluttering my house is resulting in some life decluttering too! I decided all the books I have been waiting to read must be read, or donated. Well, I started one, and I hate it. But my ex-literature student ego makes me want to plough on and finish it, just so I can know I have read it.

What?! Yeah, I'm going to get over myself and donate it. I don't know why I feel that reading should be hard work. It's fine to read easy novels just for fun! I don't have to have read every classic before I die just to know that I have.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: May 07, 2015, 10:42:35 AM »
Why do you declutter?
I don't want to work 5 days 9-5.
I don't want to work 'till I'm 67.
I don't want to live enslaved by a mortgage to live in a huge home.
My tolerance for chaos and stress is limited.
Therefore I must live a frugal and modest life, and decluttering/minimalism seems the way to go.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #1608 on: May 07, 2015, 11:03:59 AM »
Why do you declutter?

I just hate seeing stuff everywhere. It makes me feel stressed. I prefer the look of a clean space without a lot of clutter - or a lot of storage containers.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1609 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
Why do you declutter?

I just hate seeing stuff everywhere. It makes me feel stressed. I prefer the look of a clean space without a lot of clutter - or a lot of storage containers.
YES!  This is my problem.  Messes and clutter stress me out. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1610 on: May 07, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
I feel motivated to clean out tools today. I have two rollarounds and a bunch of other stuff - I want to pull a car out of the garage and empty both tool chests on the floor, then sort everything in a logical manner (and get rid of what I don't need).

Wish me luck. :P

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1611 on: May 07, 2015, 04:53:28 PM »
Why do you declutter?
I don't handle chaos very well so when all the flat surfaces are clear I'm much calmer and more at peace.

As others have said, clutter is generally a pile of to-do's; shirts that need a new button, books that need read, an item that needs repaired, etc. And that mental clutter can cause a lot of stress. When you let it go and say "I don't need to do this it reduces that continuous mental to-do list and lets you focus on the the stuff that you actually want or need to do which makes me a happier person

This!!!!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1612 on: May 07, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
I feel motivated to clean out tools today. I have two rollarounds and a bunch of other stuff - I want to pull a car out of the garage and empty both tool chests on the floor, then sort everything in a logical manner (and get rid of what I don't need).

Tools, the one thing I will never get rid of or pare down. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1613 on: May 07, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »

I bought a rollaround that was full of tools for super cheap, but I already had one full - I have some that should probably be thrown away, and many that need to be better organized as well.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1614 on: May 07, 2015, 11:31:59 PM »
Why do you declutter?
I don't handle chaos very well so when all the flat surfaces are clear I'm much calmer and more at peace.

As others have said, clutter is generally a pile of to-do's; shirts that need a new button, books that need read, an item that needs repaired, etc. And that mental clutter can cause a lot of stress. When you let it go and say "I don't need to do this it reduces that continuous mental to-do list and lets you focus on the the stuff that you actually want or need to do which makes me a happier person

This!!!!

yes totally!! i didn't realize until i read this! so many "potential projects" , so so many. and these are the things i haven't let go of (mostly). because i am a crafty/artistic person so i think, o when i am inspired, when i feel like working on something... i tell you though, it hasn't been too often in the past few years....
it resonates with me what you said about when we declutter "lets you focus on the things you actually want or need to do."
This is what i have been avoiding. but slowly , i am getting closer.

lbdance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1615 on: May 08, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »
Decluttering my house is resulting in some life decluttering too! I decided all the books I have been waiting to read must be read, or donated. Well, I started one, and I hate it. But my ex-literature student ego makes me want to plough on and finish it, just so I can know I have read it.

What?! Yeah, I'm going to get over myself and donate it. I don't know why I feel that reading should be hard work. It's fine to read easy novels just for fun! I don't have to have read every classic before I die just to know that I have.

Books are hard, but a couple of years ago I decided to only keep the ones that I would be likely to reread or lend out. Still struggling with some that were given to me. At one stage I found an author I liked and a pile of books secondhand. I will admit to starting a couple and not liking them, setting them aside and reading something else instead. But they were still in my "to finish" pile. Eventually I decided not to, googled reviews / how the book finished for the fiction so I wasn't left wondering and then donated them. I felt much better for doing this. YMMV

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1616 on: May 08, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how clutter continually enters our lives. I have purged many times over the past few years after DH and I moved our 2 households together into 1 condo, whittling our possessions down to what will comfortably fit in 800 sq ft (1 adults, 1 cat). I consider ourselves to be fairly minimalist.

And yet, I still found about 15 more books to get rid of today, as well as a box of assorted dishes / knick knacks. I think my criteria for "should i keep it" is getting stricter and stricter.

HAHA!! Are you or DH "the cat"?  :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1617 on: May 08, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
Now my count is two carloads of stuff, plus a bunch of old paint, all gone!!

House and garage are still cluttered.  It will be a lot better when all the plant starting supplies and baby outdoor plants are actually outside.

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #1618 on: May 08, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
I took 5 more things to the consignment shop, including a sundress that just felt too bare for my age; I had an $11. check waiting for me from a prior drop off.  Then took a large bag of books to the library to donate for their sale and another to Goodwill, mostly T shirts I simply don't need.  Do you do this-- save every old shirt to paint or garden?  Then I find I have more "work" clothes than other things, but I tend to wear the same 2 shirts to work outdoors.  So, gone!

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #1619 on: May 08, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »

I have a lot of cosmetics that I haven't used. Should I just throw them all out? Or donate? I don't know if anyone would really appreciate lotions and body washes, makeup, etc.

Maybe a battered women's shelter, or some group that serves the homeless. Also, my ex sold a surprising quantity of this kind of stuff at a yard sale one time.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1620 on: May 08, 2015, 07:39:04 PM »

I bought a rollaround that was full of tools for super cheap, but I already had one full - I have some that should probably be thrown away, and many that need to be better organized as well.

Ah, I can understand that.  If I had a bunch of rusty Harbor Freight specials they would be gone. 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1621 on: May 10, 2015, 06:56:06 AM »
Why do I declutter?

So many reasons most of which have been addressed by other posters already.  The overwhelming umbrella reason is peace of mind.  I find clutter to be stressful.  I also find organised excess to be stressful.  So even when things are tidy I am overwhelmed by cleaning the excess, thinking about the excess, moving the excess to access things. 

I get peace of mind when a space is cleared and maintained that way.
I get peace of mind from no longer having unfinished and unstarted projects hanging over me
I get peace of mind when I can find what I need when I need it
I get peace of mind seeing clear surfaces

I see objects as carrying emotional baggage.  I have tended to hang onto things because that is easier and because it did not occur to me to consider keeping them or not.  Now, no longer owning a video player but having 15 videos on the shelf weighs me down.  It always did but I was not aware of it.  Now I want to clear my life of heavy stuff in all ways.

I am finding a delightful spaciousness within as the piles disappear and the car carts the excess away.  I am not complete with the turfing out yet but each sally into de-cluttering brings relief, such relief!

Since objects can weigh me down i want to only have that which lifts me up in my environment.   I am finding that this process is multilayered: after one go through of a room I feel complete and then months later realise I have shifted and am ready to let more go.  I yearn, really yearn, for the clarity and ease that is unfolding as each room is cleared.

I think another profound question is why do we so firmly hang onto things which no longer serve us?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1622 on: May 10, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
Why?

When I have one sharpie I can always find my sharpie.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1623 on: May 10, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
I know the thread has taken a philosophical turn but I've got the why straight and am all up into the  execution now. Hope no one minds me talking logistics for a minute!

So after months of stalling, I finally went through my fabric and listed it on Craigslist.

I also listed some knitting gear, and one of my Facebook friends bought it for $50! Listed some other art supplies and a hair straightener I bought after I liked how a stylist did my hair, but then never took out of the box.

Guess I will just keep re-listing this stuff until either it sells, or it's time to move (will donate it then).

I think I also decided to sell my sewing machine and serger. I don't use them that much and I can always get new ones in the future if I want to. Or I can lend them to a friend until we get settled ...

Feels good to be clearing so much shit out! My shelves are looking so tidy -- I only have a couple bins of well-loved stuff left.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1624 on: May 10, 2015, 09:18:46 AM »
I am having a rough time with this.  I did clear out my cupboard of expired food, threw some boxes away, and listed 4 things on Craigslist.  Going to keep trying.

Nancy

« Reply #1625 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Nice work, Madge!

You as well, Zamboni! Sounds like progress is being made. What are you finding difficult?

I just got rid of a lot of papers that I wrote in college (!). They were printed copies with prof feedback. I can't believe I've carted them around with me. I know why I kept them: I have a terrible memory, so I know that I will never remember what I wrote/once knew if I no longer have copies. I'm okay with that. As I reread some of them, I realized that I've assimilated the most profound ideas into how I live my life/who I am. I don't need the source document anymore. And for all the other information that I'll forget, that is okay. All things pass. Perhaps I'll learn it again in the future. Perhaps I'll learn and forget something new entirely.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: May 10, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
I'm trying to let go of some old beauty magazines and am surprisingly having a hard time. They've gone back and forth from throwaway to consider pile. I'm not sure what is making me keep them.... definitely not joy, since once they are in consider pile, I put them out again. But when I see them in clutter pile, I pull them back. :( does anyone else have this issue with anything else? How did you tackle it?

Nancy

« Reply #1627 on: May 10, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
Just sold one of my bikes and a trailer for $260. That has been on my to do list for two years! I posted and sold the same day. Crazypants!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:28:15 AM by Nancy »

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1628 on: May 10, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
I'm trying to let go of some old beauty magazines and am surprisingly having a hard time. They've gone back and forth from throwaway to consider pile. I'm not sure what is making me keep them.... definitely not joy, since once they are in consider pile, I put them out again. But when I see them in clutter pile, I pull them back. :( does anyone else have this issue with anything else? How did you tackle it?
Do you EVER go back and reread them?

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1629 on: May 10, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
Purged more from my closest. Making a journey towards a sort of capsule wardrobe / work uniform sort of thing. I've taken now about 80% of the stuff out of my previously very overfull closet. Still seems that there is a lot in there. I purchased a few items today (e.g. another pair of black pants, a white shirt, tan sweater) that go with the "uniform" plan (basic dress pants, white shirt, a sweater, cute shoes - with slight variation). I took about 4 large bags of clothing today, and a pair of dress boots. My nanny is the same size as me and she takes just about everything (and either uses it herself or gives it to others).

There are still a few items that I love - but don't really fit w/ the theme ( theme being basic preppy/business) - and they are still in my closet. I am making progress.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: May 10, 2015, 05:28:54 PM »

Rip out the pages of things you are interested in keeping.  Throw away the rest.  Later, go through the pile of pages, and realize you don't need any of it :)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1631 on: May 10, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »

You might be able to trick yourself into getting rid of them if you think they're going to a better after-your-home-life than the dump or recycling center. Do you know any teachers who could use them in class activities? I teach university and still have some activities that require magazines :-)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1632 on: May 11, 2015, 03:16:35 AM »
15 more items purged over the weekend. I'm still on target to get rid of 2015 in 2015 though my pace is slowing.

This time it was the medicine cabinet. I don't generally throw away expired medicines, because we live in the country, and I take the view (don't listen to me, it's just what I do!) that having a medicine that is a bit out of date is better than not having quick access to it at all. But I was ruthless and got rid of any duplicates, so we only have one of each item now.

My house is continuing to feel lighter and brighter, enjoying this so much more than I thought I was going to when I started!

ETA: When I said medicines, I mean things like savlon which I would use to disinfect a surface skin wound. I likely wouldn't run out to buy it if we didn't have any, but I do think it's good practise to disinfect a scrape (we do lots of diy and gardening, these things aren't uncommon). I'm not talking about prescription medications, just general first aid items, which I don't believe 'go off'.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:23:10 AM by theadvicist »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1633 on: May 11, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
I am having a rough time with this.  I did clear out my cupboard of expired food, threw some boxes away, and listed 4 things on Craigslist.  Going to keep trying.

That's great! Any progress is progress.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1634 on: May 11, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »
My facebook feed today had two unconnected friends tagging me in posts about their KonMari clutter-busting. Like, back to back in my feed, TWO people saying: "Hey Erica, here's what I'm getting rid of! Thanks for the suggestion!"

So much awesome feeling. Keep going guys! You never know if your bravery to let go of YOUR stuff will be the pebble that ripples into change in someone else's pond!

I mean, this isn't just about decluttering - this is a shift in mindset to resist a mindless consumerist lifestyle, and it's spreading. This is kinda radical.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1635 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
Had my marginally successful yard sale on Sat.  Unfortunately it was cold and cloudy, and not that many people came by.  Oh well.
Disabled veterans scheduled to come for a pickup on Wed.  6 boxes, 5 pieces of furniture including a couch, end table, cabinet, and patio set, all going!  Some will be replaced, like in-laws are giving us their old couch, and the patio set is too old and rusty to feel safe with the little one these days.  Out new yard is so much smaller anyway, it wouldn't work.  I will get something smaller, but that I like better, and will enjoy for the long haul.  I can't complain though, it was free originally.  Anyone have issues with Step 1 of Your Money or Your Life and the part saying that if you give it away, you can't count it as part of you net worth, but if you still have it, you can?  This is problematic for me right now. 

But out it goes!  My living room is wonderful and restful now, without the extra couch.  It makes me want to keep getting rid of stuff. 

And also this amazing article I read about organized people.  It is changing my life!!!  I talk about this more in my journal...

here it is if anyone is interested in it...
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/08/most-organized-people/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:30:06 AM by handsnhearts »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1636 on: May 12, 2015, 12:41:57 AM »

You might be able to trick yourself into getting rid of them if you think they're going to a better after-your-home-life than the dump or recycling center. Do you know any teachers who could use them in class activities? I teach university and still have some activities that require magazines :-)

I did some soul searching and felt the magazines were too pretty to be discarded. But I didn't want to hold on to them either. So I took pictures of the pages I liked seeing (those that gave me the thrills) and gave the magazines to a teacher friend of mine for her class. I'm pretty sure I won't ever look at those photos again but they are there..... if I need them. Thanks everyone!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1637 on: May 12, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »

Way to go, letting them go!

I did some soul searching and felt the magazines were too pretty to be discarded. But I didn't want to hold on to them either. So I took pictures of the pages I liked seeing (those that gave me the thrills) and gave the magazines to a teacher friend of mine for her class. I'm pretty sure I won't ever look at those photos again but they are there..... if I need them. Thanks everyone!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1638 on: May 12, 2015, 07:26:51 AM »
Anyone have issues with Step 1 of Your Money or Your Life and the part saying that if you give it away, you can't count it as part of you net worth, but if you still have it, you can?  This is problematic for me right now. 
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/08/most-organized-people/

I don't remember that part well, but my take is only the current value of items can be included in net worth.  And current value means what you can get for them - not what you paid for them.  If you can't get anything for them (at say, a garage sale), then it's a fat zero for the net worth.  (That said, I don't like to calculate my net worth using my household goods or even cars.  I only consider investable assets and real estate.)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1639 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »
I have not posted on this thread before but I do want to say that you are all an inspiration to me.  I have been following this thread for a couple of months now and have made really good headway in dealing with my clutter and unneeded possessions.  Especially my clothes!  As a matter of fact, I have another large batch of clothing in the car going to a consignment store today.

I love reading your reports of decluttering but the discussions on the psychology of clutter and getting rid of things, dealing with your feelings towards your material possessions, etc. are really fascinating and helpful in recognizing and dealing with my own thoughts and feelings.

So keep it up and thank you!

katesilvergirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1640 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:02 AM »
After months of reading the Project 333 blog, Miss Minimalist, and other minimalism/capsule wardrobe blogs, I had whittled down my clothes to a manageable and enjoyable amount. My housemates (DH and two friends) started to get interested the more I talked about it and they kept seeing me drag bags of stuff through the house. So last week we held a house "wardrobe audit." I scheduled it formally and sent an email with a bunch of instructions for thinking about de-cluttering clothes (like "does this fit my lifestyle right now?"). I think that helps people take it seriously and there is some accountability when de-cluttering in a group.

Everyone brought their entire wardrobe into the living room/dining room and dumped it in a pile. Then we went through each category of clothes (pants, shorts, dress shirts, tops, winter coats), each person going through their own clothes. It was such a fun way to go through stuff! It is way easier to part with things when they are in a pile on your couch then stuffed in the back of a closet. It is also easier to part with things when you stack like things together and realize that you have 5 winter coats, and perhaps that is a bit much. It is also easier and more fun to do a big de-cluttering push together (dance music, cookies, etc.) and you can ask advice on things you are on the edge about. It took about 3 hours, but we ended up donating almost 100 items to Goodwill.

Even though I basically forced my house to participate in de-cluttering with me, they seemed to enjoy it. Afterwards one housemate said, "maybe we can do this again next month in the kitchen!"

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1641 on: May 12, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »
I have not posted on this thread before but I do want to say that you are all an inspiration to me.  I have been following this thread for a couple of months now and have made really good headway in dealing with my clutter and unneeded possessions.  Especially my clothes!  As a matter of fact, I have another large batch of clothing in the car going to a consignment store today.

I love reading your reports of decluttering but the discussions on the psychology of clutter and getting rid of things, dealing with your feelings towards your material possessions, etc. are really fascinating and helpful in recognizing and dealing with my own thoughts and feelings.

So keep it up and thank you!

Excellent- I'm glad you've been getting ninto it. Its all very liberating :)

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1642 on: May 12, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
After months of reading the Project 333 blog, Miss Minimalist, and other minimalism/capsule wardrobe blogs, I had whittled down my clothes to a manageable and enjoyable amount. My housemates (DH and two friends) started to get interested the more I talked about it and they kept seeing me drag bags of stuff through the house. So last week we held a house "wardrobe audit." I scheduled it formally and sent an email with a bunch of instructions for thinking about de-cluttering clothes (like "does this fit my lifestyle right now?"). I think that helps people take it seriously and there is some accountability when de-cluttering in a group.

Everyone brought their entire wardrobe into the living room/dining room and dumped it in a pile. Then we went through each category of clothes (pants, shorts, dress shirts, tops, winter coats), each person going through their own clothes. It was such a fun way to go through stuff! It is way easier to part with things when they are in a pile on your couch then stuffed in the back of a closet. It is also easier to part with things when you stack like things together and realize that you have 5 winter coats, and perhaps that is a bit much. It is also easier and more fun to do a big de-cluttering push together (dance music, cookies, etc.) and you can ask advice on things you are on the edge about. It took about 3 hours, but we ended up donating almost 100 items to Goodwill.

Even though I basically forced my house to participate in de-cluttering with me, they seemed to enjoy it. Afterwards one housemate said, "maybe we can do this again next month in the kitchen!"
  sounds so fun!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1643 on: May 12, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
For Mother's Day my MIL sent me $25 to treat myself, which is awesome because I recently went down a pant size and needed new jeans.  So I went to Value Village, and I actually drove instead of biked so that I could take the pile of stuff in the garage that I'd set out to get rid of.  It feels so nice to have gotten rid of all of that!  And I got two pairs of jeans that make me feel super hot and a lovely green shirt (gives me lots of joy! wearing it today for the second time) for under $20.
Gave our box of unneeded kitchen items to a friend who is moving.  Didn't get any money for it like we'd hoped, but it's gone to a good home so that makes me happy.
My husband has finished school now (wheee!) so yesterday he began going through his stuff to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.  I finally persuaded him that doing a little bit each day would suit him better than doing it all at once.  He'd get frustrated and tired doing it all in a day or two and cut corners, generally by erring on the side of caution and keeping things.  So he'll do a small amount most days over the next couple of weeks until we move.
Still more to get rid of, but it's amazing how SLOWLY we're filling up the trailer with stuff to move.  People keep asking how packing is going and seem shocked when I say that it's actually fine.  I feel like I need to justify our lack of stuff to them, it's crazy.  Well, only to older people who ask, like coworkers.  My friends are in the same place we are, with lots of crappy (free) furniture that they'll get rid of when they eventually move and happy about it.  A friend was just mentioning last night that her mother offered to buy her a new bedroom set for her birthday and she turned it down because she's planning to move in the next year and doesn't want to deal with the hassle.  "The furniture I have now was free, so I can just take it to the free section at the transfer station when I move."  Other friend, "Yeah, when I move [later this summer] I'm getting rid of my dresser that way.  Hopefully someone else will make use of it."
I finally got a (free!) copy of "The Life-Changing Magic..." and I'm loving it.  Will pass it along to one friend when I'm done and have recommended it to several others, including my dad.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1644 on: May 12, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
SisterX - I totally hear you about the nice furniture thing.  Also now with a child, it is so nice to not care if they spill milk or pee on the couch.  My FIL, bless his heart, is making us night stands right now.  I am thankful for the gift, but it is a burden, to know I have to care for it and lug it around in our next 34 moves...(hopefully not that many, but who knows).  He already made us a bed, but they have been keeping it for the last 18 months, knowing we we moving close to them then.  It is so lovely, but heavy literally and figuratively!

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1645 on: May 12, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
SisterX - I totally hear you about the nice furniture thing.  Also now with a child, it is so nice to not care if they spill milk or pee on the couch.  My FIL, bless his heart, is making us night stands right now.  I am thankful for the gift, but it is a burden, to know I have to care for it and lug it around in our next 34 moves...(hopefully not that many, but who knows).  He already made us a bed, but they have been keeping it for the last 18 months, knowing we we moving close to them then.  It is so lovely, but heavy literally and figuratively!

I don't mind moving a few nice things.  My in-laws have made some furniture for us, including a bedside table and BabyX's highchair.  But yeah, it is really nice to, for the most part, not care if our furniture gets damaged.
Also, the furniture they made is not particularly heavy, nor do they take up tons of space.  That helps.  I'll start collecting/creating more nice furniture in the future, but this is also the only big move we have planned.  I can definitely understand why you'd want to not have nice stuff if you're going to be moving around a lot.  If we were military?  Forget it, we'd have crappy free furniture until that was all done.  :)

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1646 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »
My wife and I were sat on the couch after kids in bed after a long day at the park on the hottest day so far this year.  We couldn't decide on anything to watch and I asked her if she wanted to pick out a movie, so she instantly went to Netflix to find something.  I asked her when the last time she looked in our DVD cabinet and she responded that she hadn't been in there for a year, I responded neither have I.  Since we are in the middle of a house purge we both realized that we should sell the contents of our DVD cabinet (saving some kids movies).  During the inspection and inventory of the DVDs/Blurays, we discovered more than a dozen cases had never been opened!!!  What a tragic waste of our stash.  Over a hundred DVDs, dozens of Blurays and a few old video games (which I no longer have the system for) have since been posted and several hundred dollars are now expected to be returned to our stash.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1647 on: May 12, 2015, 03:16:35 PM »
I was feeling very sad leaving a loved one at the airport and wandered into a bookstore once I'd passed through security. I have had "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" out of the library three times and haven't been able to read it due to life crises/busy-ness. I decided that if I saw it at the bookstore I would buy it -- yes, it was there and I read through a good chunk of it on the plane ride home.
That was 2 days ago.

Today, it arrived at the library for me AGAIN! grrr! Oh well, I still feel glad that I have the book to read and refer back to it. I'm hoping that I can get this accomplished and then pass the book on to someone else.

I have soooooo far to go in my decluttering process but feel encouraged by others who have done a gigantic purge. We have a large family and SO. MUCH. STUFF.

When you are a recovering spendthrift, I wonder if you tend to hold onto stuff now that you aren't planning to just buy, buy, buy all the time. I keep thinking, "Maybe I could use this in the future?" or "Maybe the next child down the line will wear this in a few years?"

Hmmmm.....

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1648 on: May 12, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »
We finally sold our old home theater system. After two tries, I was planning to donate it later today if no one was interested. And bingo! Someone pinged they wanted it and half an hour later, it's gone leaving me with a ton of space and $50!! I also have someone coming to buy lamps today. All going soon!!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: May 12, 2015, 03:56:04 PM »
I also convinced my mom to take back clothes she bought for me. They were not my size but she said I can alter it and use it sometime. I told her she would fit better in them right now and gave them back to her. A first victory for me!!

Sadly I couldn't convince her to not gift my husband or baby anything. Sigh! I'm thinking to regift them if possible. We have way too much stuff.