Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850090 times)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »
Just moved to a smaller place (woo! $400/month cheaper!) and am trying to divest myself of an epic amount of STUFF. Blech.

I find it very difficult to get rid of nice items that I never use. Like a coach bag. Sigh.

Yay! Sell the Coach bag on eBay. That might make it easier. :)

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »
passed along several bags of clothes my kids have outgrown recently-maybe 8 large bags?
made yet another pass thru the kitchen stuff and weeded out two more paper grocery bags of items I can live without. I have a box of stuff my friend is coming tomorrow to look thru-games and toys for her kid, a couple of clothes items.

went thru sons toys today and got rid of all broken items, things missing parts of the set, and some cheapie toys that he agreed could go. got rid of a paper grocery bag of toys! boxed up some of the cars he no longer plays with so much.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »
So in recent times I've been cooking from the pantry more than usual, and successfully annihilated a container of dried mushrooms, and a bag of dried borlotti beans. I'm thinking next I'll work on some dried mung beans, couscous and cornmeal that has been lying around for a while.

Ha! Love the word choice, "Annihilate." I'm working on my pantry as well. I just reorganized the whole thing, got rid of some really old stuff and started putting out on the counter the latest bag of whatever to remind me to cook it and eat it. Next up, some gourmet "red rice" I bought about two years ago.

Yay, nice to see someone else doing similar with their pantry! I haven't cooked red rice but my mum does, she usually just mixes it with white rice and steams it as per usual, gives nice textural contrast.

In other news, my jeans on eBay didn't sell (it's an unusually tiny size... sigh), I have re-listed it. Also, yesterday I compiled some dresses, will take pictures this weekend so I can list them as well. Clearing out clothing is getting harder and harder as I don't actually have much. Most of what's left are the items that are really nice and I really like, and the items that are just really old and comfy that I'm not ready to throw away yet.

I also have a very nifty kick scooter I'm thinking about selling... originally bought it ages ago as I thought it would be an alternative to public transport, but it seems to be not so good for the knees when used extensively, so I've neglected it since then. Might give it another spin again and think about it further.

blake201

• Stubble
  • I draw/design/sew/knit/cook.
« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
Cool thread. Just got started on a serious clutter purge...

Got rid of 90 books (which is just a small start, I have floor to ceiling bookshelves in all three rooms of my little apartment, all bulging with books 2 or 3 deep), mostly donated them but sold the ones on Amazon that were worth more than $3 each. The truly embarrassing thing is that about 20 of those books were about decluttering or organizing.

Got rid of four or five bags of clothes. Mostly just donated anything decent, anything in bad condition I cut up for rags and anything really nice I sold on eBay. For kids clothes that my daughter has outgrown I gave them to my brother who is about to become a dad to his own little girl.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
I have a similar issue on the clothes front. I have a fair few t-shirts that are very worn, what tends to happen with these t-shirts is they slowly get demoted from, "I'll wear it out and about" -> "i'll wear it to do dirty jobs in" -> "i'll wear it for bed". Some t-shirts i've got i've had for the past 10 years or so and even though they have some small holes in they are good for slouching about it. :)

Other items of clothing I donate to charity and anything else is either donated/recycled or straight up binned.
While I totally get the progression of t-shirt roles and use mine up the same way, my partner (who is indeed pretty frugal but no extreme mustachian) wears hers until there are more holes than cloth. Sometimes they are so "holy" they are hard to fold! When I suggest retiring one of those holy shirts, I meat strong resistance. "But they are sooooo comfortable!" Ok, then. Lol!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Oh, and this is an inspiring thread, by the way. We just moved and I got rid of a lot of stuff, but still feel like I have too much. A couple things I'm not sure what to do with. Feel very attached, but also silly for being attached.

1) A box with cassette tapes and CDs of my performances in college (two degrees in music). No, I won't listen to them (or will I? I don't even own a cassette player anymore!)
2) A box with letters from family and friends. Letters my grandma sent to me as a kid. Letters my sister sent to me in college. And so on. Back when people wrote real letters.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2013, 08:59:45 PM »
Ha, worldstrad, I love the comfort of well-worn clothes too! Though mine aren't as tattered as your partner's, from the sounds of it. :p

And hello to a fellow music degree holder... for your cassettes and CDs, are you able to convert them to a digital format? Same goes for the letters, you could take photos of them and upload somewhere safe. But I think it's okay to keep some things with sentimental value, as long as you don't go overboard with it.

bluecollarmusician

• Pencil Stache
  • You call this a Fi(re)?
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2013, 06:16:27 AM »
Oh, and this is an inspiring thread, by the way. We just moved and I got rid of a lot of stuff, but still feel like I have too much. A couple things I'm not sure what to do with. Feel very attached, but also silly for being attached.

1) A box with cassette tapes and CDs of my performances in college (two degrees in music). No, I won't listen to them (or will I? I don't even own a cassette player anymore!)
2) A box with letters from family and friends. Letters my grandma sent to me as a kid. Letters my sister sent to me in college. And so on. Back when people wrote real letters.

We also just moved, and we are dealing with the same thing.  I have imported many of the CD's to the hard drive on the computer- super easy, and you have it forever.  You could do the same with the cassettes, might have to borrow something that could get it into the computer, or possibly record them to CD... not sure.  As a musician myself I understand wanting to hold on to those old recordings.  And I also understand that you will probably never listen to them.

And with the letters... if your printer/scanner has a paper handler (or even if it doesn't) it is pretty easy to scan them in.  I was resistant to this at first, since I like being able to hold them in my hand when reading back over them.  My wife convinced me to give it a try.  I found once I had them scanned in and could see them on the screen it was much easier to get rid of. 

We also determined that we didn't have to get rid of ALL of it, just most of it.  I would say we got rid of 90+% of the old paper stuff (letters, etc) tapes, CD's and Video tapes (copied many of these to DVD's and then imported to computer- the DVD's take up little space and are a nice back up.) and just kept a couple of things things with great sentimental value. 

Once you get rid of so much stuff, it seems silly to hang on to the last little bit... but that is what worked for us so far.  Good luck!

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »

I have imported many of the CD's to the hard drive on the computer- super easy, and you have it forever.  You could do the same with the cassettes, might have to borrow something that could get it into the computer, or possibly record them to CD... not sure.  As a musician myself I understand wanting to hold on to those old recordings.  And I also understand that you will probably never listen to them.

And with the letters... if your printer/scanner has a paper handler (or even if it doesn't) it is pretty easy to scan them in.  I was resistant to this at first, since I like being able to hold them in my hand when reading back over them.  My wife convinced me to give it a try.  I found once I had them scanned in and could see them on the screen it was much easier to get rid of. 

Great idea with the CDs! What kind of device can transfer cassette tapes, though? I have never seen such a thing. Anybody?

Scanning the letters... hm. Yeah, I may be able to do that with some of them, but the ones from my grandma... I'm just too silly attached! Thankfully those aren't too many (maybe 10 or 15).

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
Ha, worldstrad, I love the comfort of well-worn clothes too! Though mine aren't as tattered as your partner's, from the sounds of it. :p

And hello to a fellow music degree holder... for your cassettes and CDs, are you able to convert them to a digital format? Same goes for the letters, you could take photos of them and upload somewhere safe. But I think it's okay to keep some things with sentimental value, as long as you don't go overboard with it.
Sorry, I accidentally skipped your response. Going digital may work for some of this stuff. Any idea on how to do that with cassettes?

PlayOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
I'm a late joiner, but I'm IN!

Got rid of 5 bags of clothing, passed along another one, and gave away a bunch of little kid books. Organized the hall closet and tossed bunches of expired lotion/ ointment/ medicine-esque stuff. Tackling the kitchen tomorrow. Might get rid of the Christmas dishes- they're not really pretty and are just taking up space. I don't think I even got them down last year!

Also on my list is diving into the large amount of fabric that I am holding on to and the desk area... so much to do!!

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
I'm moving out and renting out our home in next 2-3 months... OMG the amount stuff I have!  So far I've donated/given away

6-7 garbage bag of clothes
37 LCD tv
2 laptops
4 computers
8 lcd monitors
about 20 pairs of shoes
garbage bag of books
dining room set + 6 chairs
2 couches

I still have WAY too much stuff... we'll be staying at our downsized area for about 5-6yrs... my goal in that time frame is keep selling/donating my things where I'm down to pretty much not much stored (except for tools).  If i get down to about 1/6th of what I have now I'll be pretty pleased :)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
Scanning the letters... hm. Yeah, I may be able to do that with some of them, but the ones from my grandma... I'm just too silly attached! Thankfully those aren't too many (maybe 10 or 15).

If some of them are cards, I have torn off the front cover and just saved the part where they have written a note. I found out that St. Jude's accepts recycled greeting cards: http://www.stjudesranch.org/shop/recycled-card-program/

I went through my stash of cards and cut down the bulk by half by tearing off the front cover and donating them. I saved the ones that were sentimental to me, but they all fit in one small shoebox now. Victory!

In other news, I sold some old curtains and bedding on Craigslist! That's $25 of found money! Now I need to tackle a few more boxes of "stuff to sell."

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
Sorry, I accidentally skipped your response. Going digital may work for some of this stuff. Any idea on how to do that with cassettes?

I haven't actually done it myself so I don't know how easy or difficult it is, but I've heard about it before. If you do a google search on how to convert cassettes to digital, there are plenty of sites that can help you get started.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2013, 09:47:40 AM »

I've done it with cassettes, you need a decent tape deck and a computer with a good quality sound card. Get an 1/8" plug to two RCA adapter cable, plug the tape deck's outputs to the sound card's line in.

Then use a free program like Audacity to record and de-noise them. Then you can split them into individual songs. I record the entire tape at once, so I don't have to sit and stop and start the program every time.

I need to write a quick how-to for doing this, it's pretty easy.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »

[/quote]

I've done it with cassettes, you need a decent tape deck and a computer with a good quality sound card. Get an 1/8" plug to two RCA adapter cable, plug the tape deck's outputs to the sound card's line in.

Then use a free program like Audacity to record and de-noise them. Then you can split them into individual songs. I record the entire tape at once, so I don't have to sit and stop and start the program every time.

I need to write a quick how-to for doing this, it's pretty easy.
[/quote]
Cool! I have Audacity on my laptop but never actually used it. I'll look more into this. And if you do write a how-to for this, please share! :) Thanks!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »
I just sold $53 worth of stuff at a community yard sale this morning. I left with two suitcases and a backpack and came home with only one, but heavy, suitcase. It felt great to get rid of stuff, but also to sell it to members of my own community and even meet new people!

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
We've spent the past year purging our house. It's been slow-going, as I'm a sentimental fool who has trouble letting go, but we're getting there. Our master bedroom closet is so badass these days. We could stand to do one more quick run through, but overall it's great.

The biggest thing that we're facing right now is the kids' playroom. They've outgrown it, so we're going to turn it into another living space, but OMG, the toys and books and crap. It's overwhelming.

UFYH has been a wonderful inspiration. I read it daily.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: September 29, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
I'm getting rid of clothes now; 7 dress shirts, a suit, and 3 other shirts.  Help motivate me to get rid of 2 more suits I never wear!

I could theoretically still wear them so it's tough for me to get rid of 'em.

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
2 bicycle trips to Goodwill last weekend!

Next up is selling what can be sold and back to Goodwill again...

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
Hope everyone is still doing well!

I've been lazy for the past several weeks, my room is a mess. LOTS of snail mail. (I sign up for electronic communications instead of snail mail, but somehow I still get quite a bit.) This weekend I'll be tidying up and throwing out more things in the process. My parents are visiting in a couple of weeks, not sure if they want to squeeze in with me or stay at our other relatives' bigger place, but either way there is the chance they might drop by my apartment and be horrified at the state of affairs, so that will provide impetus to clean things up.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
I've weeded out lots of stuff to donate this month and set aside some nicer things to sell, but I'm having trouble finishing the job and getting the things out of the house!!  Right now the guest room is basically a giant pile of stuff to bring to goodwill.  So progress is happening and I love how uncluttered and neat my drawers and closets are getting, but it's still a work in progress!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »
Any advice for getting my husband to sort through his wardrobe?  He did a major clean-out a year ago when we moved across the country, but he still has way more clothing than necessary (and much more than me).

I picked a day when we didn't have a lot going on (weekend).  I brought out a stack of his shirts, put them on the bed and asked him to go through with it.  I started with the easy stuff - the bajillions of team sports t-shirts he got free from playing soccer for years.  I then moved onto "harder" items like the 15 year old shirts he hasn't worn for 5, before ending with more questionable items.  I pre-culled and didn't ask him to go through things like his collection of undershirts or shirts he wears often.  He got rid of 20+ shirts.   He also knew I had been going through lots of stuff and maybe had a twinge that he ought to help participate/encourage (only the slightest twinge though).  Oh, also set a date you intend to drop off items at Goodwill (or similar.)  Then you can say, oh we planned to drop it off tomorrow so we really need to go through it now.

When he finished the pile, I did not try to capitalize on his apparent interest by throwing more things at him (pants, socks, etc). and left it when I was ahead.  Much thanks, raving etc as well.  (Seriously, it's for both of us so you wouldn't think I'd have to do this, but as I've learned in trying to get him to bring his dishes TO the kitchen and INTO the dishwasher, praising for the baby steps helps.  Even if at age 6 I knew to do this regularly.)

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2013, 03:01:57 PM »
I got rid of another box of stuff this weekend (left over things that didn't sell at the community yard sell). I saw a post on my neighborhood list-serv that a local church was accepting donations. I also discovered a drop-off location for clothes and shoes near a place I frequently go, so next time I have a random pair of shoes or a few shirts I don't want I know where to take them!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: October 30, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
I am up to around 84 items removed/given away/sold.

Yay!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
I am up to around 84 items removed/given away/sold.

Yay!

Kudos!  As a helpful tip (in cleaning out items and raising your number), in my great clean out I learned that sunscreen, makeup and toothpaste expires.  I had a lot of sample toothpaste tubes, bottles of sunscreen I couldn't remember the year I bought, and 3-10 year old makeup I tossed.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
Did 6 bags of kid's clothes, an old flatbed scanner, and some old (but still usable) pots and dishes. Gave them to a new Salvation Army store nearby, was pleasantly surprised at how laid back they were. Very cool place, and I almost got a magnetic bike trainer for $10. Also, they had real brass fireplace tools (which I need) for $10, I will be going back for those.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2013, 01:03:09 AM »
You guys are doing such a good job of getting rid of stuff!

It is a public holiday here today. I decided to do a bit of cleaning and wiping around the house, and I did so using old undies which I would otherwise have to throw out anyway. I feel quite accomplished. I'm also slowly filling up another bag of clothes to be donated.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2013, 09:18:51 AM »
I got rid of another box of stuff this weekend (left over things that didn't sell at the community yard sell). I saw a post on my neighborhood list-serv that a local church was accepting donations. I also discovered a drop-off location for clothes and shoes near a place I frequently go, so next time I have a random pair of shoes or a few shirts I don't want I know where to take them!

For DC folks, SOME (So Other May Eat) is accepting donations. I never knew that before this year, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.some.org/give_in_kind.html

DTown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
I just made a big donation over the weekend:

- 2 boxes filled with books I've already read and don't intend to re-read
- 2 old laptops and computer parts
- Big box of random things I've intended to get rid of for months
- Old printer/scanner that I hated
- 20 or so T-shirts I never wear
- Box of school/office supplies that I have no intention of using

I finally listed some old text books on Amazon and expect to get $150 for them :D. I also listed an old for-parts laptop on ebay to see if anyone wants it.

I made a new pile of stuff that I'll get rid of if I don't need any of it over the next couple months.

It really feels great to have all that crap gone.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2013, 06:21:52 PM »
I just made a big donation over the weekend:

- 2 boxes filled with books I've already read and don't intend to re-read
- 2 old laptops and computer parts
- Big box of random things I've intended to get rid of for months
- Old printer/scanner that I hated
- 20 or so T-shirts I never wear
- Box of school/office supplies that I have no intention of using

I finally listed some old text books on Amazon and expect to get $150 for them :D. I also listed an old for-parts laptop on ebay to see if anyone wants it.

I made a new pile of stuff that I'll get rid of if I don't need any of it over the next couple months.

It really feels great to have all that crap gone.

Nice!  It really becomes a snowball effect, as you start to see the results and get excited I think, and become more willing to relinquish items.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »
Awesome work DTown, that's a lot of stuff! I can so relate to feeling great after the things are gone, it's like an invisible weight lifted off the shoulders.

Mrs WW

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
I try and weed out a few things every day, ranging from papers to furniture. I stopped counting at 500 items (counting one heap of papers as one item) and that was in September. We don't have that much stuff, but it really gets you thinking when you can remove more than 500 things from your house and hardly notice it... The weeding continues!

The minimalists have a great callenge on decluttering, where you get rid of one thing on the first of the month, two on the second and so on for the while month!

www.theminimalists.com

Keep up the great work all!

MustacheCowboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2013, 05:57:06 PM »
I've been slowly selling old kids clothes on eBay and the selling prices have been much higher then I expected. "Finding" the cash has been addictive plus the joy of having less has felt awesome!

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »

You could transfer the music from the cassettes/CDs to files on your computer. In other words, keep it but don't keep it--keep the music but not the objects.

I would keep letters. I always keep letters. It's not like they take up that much room, and it's sometimes fun to look back at them and remember things you'd forgotten, be reminded of someone through their handwriting, etc.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »
A giant pile of junk went to goodwill today- decor knick knack things, some clothes,  some assorted kitchen junk, etc.

Looks like we're going to be moving soon, so we will have a lot of incentive to clear out even more stuff as we go through it all to pack.  Less stuff = less to pack = less to move.  Plus the new place is going to be much smaller and I don't want it to be all cluttered up. That's another incentive to pare down.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
Over the last few months I've made a commitment to declutter and sell the things that I don't need or use any longer. Part of this is because I feel like I've definitely accrued too much crap over the years, I'd like the money so I can invest it, and because my girlfriend is not impressed at how much stuff I moved into the house we are renting.

So far:
- Sold around 90% of my Xbox 360 video game collection ($500)
- Sold a set of Anime DVDs ($200)
- Sold most of my books to Half-Price Books ($120)
- Donated three garbage bags filled with clothes
- Threw out probably four garbage bags of old magazines, papers, etc when we moved

To-do:
- Finish selling the rest of my games (est. $150 worth)
- Sell the rest of my embarrassingly large Anime DVD collection (est. $500-800 worth)
- Sell the two older Xbox 360 consoles I don't use (est. $150 worth)
- Figure out what else I have to sell or donate... I know there is lots

The books were easy as a couple years ago I discovered the joys of reading on a Kindle. I have so many books on that thing, and I can take every one with me wherever I go. And reading on an old school Kindle there is no eye strain like reading on a computer monitor. The video games I started getting rid of at the encouragment of my girlfriend, but it didn't take me long before I agreed with her. Why do I need old games I will never play again? Off to Ebay/Amazon they went! Same with the Anime DVDs. A lot of them are still worth money, but since I am able to download/stream so many of the shows I like, there is no reason to hang on to these physical DVDs while I can still make money off them. A few boxed sets I will be able to sell for more than I paid, since they are no longer in print and are considered rare among anime geeks.

I have some hobby gaming items and computer items that I intend to keep no matter what. I have two kindles (my old school e-ink version I prefer to read on and a new kindle fire hd that I use for everything else), two laptops (one is my primary computer I have hooked up in my man cave at home, the other is older and I bring it to school), and some hobby gaming things like board games (not Monopoly... google Dominion or Twilight Imperium III or BSG the board game) and books that I can't easily read on my kindle. I feel I've made some good progress, but I also know I have a ways to go. As evidenced by my above list of things I intend to keep! Hey, I said I was decluttering, not renouncing my worldly possessions and turning into a monk ;)

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2013, 09:52:19 PM »
Hey, I said I was decluttering, not renouncing my worldly possessions and turning into a monk ;)

I love that line!  :D

I'm definitely in on this challenge.

I am working my way through old books (far too many to count, but at least most of them were bought second hand), clothes (same, although a lot less in number) and anything else that isn't nailed down.

I am listing them all on Trade Me (NZ equivalent of ebay). It is quite addictive seeing stuff that was gathering dust in my house now increasing my bank balance.  :)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
Mrs WW I like the idea of weeding out a few things everyday or doing it incrementally a la the Minimalists. I just get so lazy, though! Must do it more consistently.

Today I donated another bag of clothing, which makes me happy. My goal is to whittle my clothing down so that they all fit into two suitcases... maybe even one, though that may be difficult due to bulky winter coats. We'll see.

yesslynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »
This is thread is great! I'm excited to use the extra time off for Thanksgiving to go through a bunch of things that are not used or even looked at to sort into selling and donating piles and then actually sell and donate them. I cut down a bunch on things when I moved across country with only the stuff I could fit in the trunk and backseat of a Dodge Neon but it's been almost a year and a half and now, again I seem to have accumulated too many things. Two people in a one bedroom apartment contributes slightly to the problem but we definitely do not regularly use all of the objects currently causing this clutter so getting rid of stuff, and maybe making some money, sounds like a wonderful plan.

Ironfist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2013, 03:33:11 PM »
Working on purging a lot of extra stuff myself but unfortunately yard sale season is over so it's hard to sell a lot right now.  Maybe donating to Goodwill would be an option?  At least it's a tax deduction...

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
For those of you getting rid of clothing and accessories, you might want to check out liketwice.com and thredup.com.  They are used clothing websites and they will send you a pre-paid shipping bag.  Send them your sellable stuff, and they'll make an offer on the whole lot.  I sent a giant bag to liketwice a few months ago and got $125!  It's much, much easier than trying to sell on ebay or to an individual buyer.  Liketwice is women's clothing only, thredup is women's , boys, girls, and baby as well as shoes and accessories. 

Here are some referral links that give you and me a bonus but you certainly don't need to use them: www.liketwice.com/GLdQ9  and http://www.thredup.com/r/XYUOUP

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
Where do you guys stand on donating versus selling?

We've worked hard at purging, and have done a good job, but have more to do over Thanksgiving break. I'd really like to just donate it and get it out of our lives, because my guess is that if we plan on selling it, it will sit in a pile in our garage for a year before eventually being donated.
Are we being wasteful in that we probably could earn bits of cash on some of the stuff? Or should we just get it out of our lives and be done?

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

We've worked hard at purging, and have done a good job, but have more to do over Thanksgiving break. I'd really like to just donate it and get it out of our lives, because my guess is that if we plan on selling it, it will sit in a pile in our garage for a year before eventually being donated.
Are we being wasteful in that we probably could earn bits of cash on some of the stuff? Or should we just get it out of our lives and be done?

My wife is more into selling, I'm more into donating.. with a caveat.  Things that have real value, I'd rather sell.  And by real value I mean like collectables.  Things like your standard fare of books, movies, clothes, etc qualify has donation worthy.  Some of it is even trash worthy. 

I just don't think it is worth the effort and my wife has done some of those "small sale" type site stuff where people don't show up and it just gets very frustrating.

JessieImproved

• Stubble
    • Jessie : Improved
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »

I have discovered that I detest selling things.  Unless it's large sports equipment, a car or something like that, it's getting gifted to friends/family or donated.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2013, 08:05:56 PM »
I hate selling things too.  I will sell things like books/DVDs, where I can slop a big box into the used store, come back in an hour and have them give me a number.  Everything else are donations.  We even have a place that will pick up.  They don't take everything but they will take many things.

The emptier it gets in here, the happier I feel.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
I have a huge amount I should get rid of, but it's the expensive books from past enthusiasms that weigh most heavily on me. I'd give them away if I found people who really wanted them, but they are way too specialized for the few local secondhand booksellers to be interested in. Without a car I can't take them further afield even to give to a library, and Melbourne doesn't have any specialist bookshops for most of these narrow interests. In the UK I would fare better - most of them came from there - but international postage rates from Australia are so horrendous that no overseas buyer would want to cover that cost.

For other stuff I'm stuck because I don't have any means of taking photos and nothing's likely to sell on eBay without one. Freecycle has been great for things like ski-gear because people collect, but I've run through most of what people are likely to be looking for and it won't work for the books.

KatieSSS

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
I'm coming to post my goal for the weekend (to hold me accountable!): Clean out one cabinet in my kitchen. I want to have a cabinet dedicated to canning supplies/storage only. I'm going to start doing more canning in 2014, so I need some space to store the equipment and the things I can. This means I need to get rid of other kitchen items I don't use!

I'm really debating on getting rid of my microwave, which I hardly use. Since I have such a small kitchen, this would massively free up counter space! Has anyone else given it up?

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
I have a huge amount I should get rid of, but it's the expensive books from past enthusiasms that weigh most heavily on me. I'd give them away if I found people who really wanted them, but they are way too specialized for the few local secondhand booksellers to be interested in. Without a car I can't take them further afield even to give to a library, and Melbourne doesn't have any specialist bookshops for most of these narrow interests. In the UK I would fare better - most of them came from there - but international postage rates from Australia are so horrendous that no overseas buyer would want to cover that cost.

For other stuff I'm stuck because I don't have any means of taking photos and nothing's likely to sell on eBay without one. Freecycle has been great for things like ski-gear because people collect, but I've run through most of what people are likely to be looking for and it won't work for the books.

What about listing them on Amazon?  I did this for several nicer books that I didn't think the used book store would pay enough for.  It doesn't require a picture, just the ISBN or title a description of the condition.  If you truly don't care about making money off of them , you could just charge enough to cover the cost of shipping, whatever that might be.  It would at least expose the books to a wider audience who might be interested in some harder to find articles.

I guess I'm not really familiar with Austrailian postal practices, but in the US there is a special rate for shipping books/educational materials, so this might be feasible.

Ironfist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
I hate selling things too.  I will sell things like books/DVDs, where I can slop a big box into the used store, come back in an hour and have them give me a number.  Everything else are donations.  We even have a place that will pick up.  They don't take everything but they will take many things.

The emptier it gets in here, the happier I feel.

I've discovered that just letting go of my old junk is the hardest part.  I don't really miss anything once it's gone.  I think I'm going to put a time limit on my records and if they're not all sold by Christmas they'll be going to Goodwill.