Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850032 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1450 on: April 16, 2015, 03:05:50 AM »
I think I have a declutterers version of hedonic adaptation (is that the right phrase? MMM is always going on about things / bigger houses not making you any happier because you get used to them).

Well, a few weeks ago, my house felt amazing! So much less stuff! Nothing on the floor under the shelves, just space, and the shelves themselves no longer crammed full! Chests of drawers that closed all the way and nothing living on top of them! Just gorgeous empty space!

Well, I've clearly got used to it. I was doing a double take every time I saw an empty surface. Now I just see all the other stuff I haven't got rid of.

I need to redouble my efforts, and hope that, eventually, I will appreciate the space permanently, and not just see what's wrong with it.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1451 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Gave away all our board games (we used to play them prebaby, don't think we'd play for another two or three years) and decluttered our TV cabinet. Got a junk drawer in it to clean but the rest is gone.

I also finally decided to give away some old clothes after three years and two moves. Sigh! Better now than never.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1452 on: April 16, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
I think we've reached a point where it's no longer a lack of space that's driving me to declutter but more the need to have a lighter house. Seeing my baby's toys everywhere is also contributing to it.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1453 on: April 16, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »

Well, a few weeks ago, my house felt amazing! So much less stuff! Nothing on the floor under the shelves, just space, and the shelves themselves no longer crammed full! Chests of drawers that closed all the way and nothing living on top of them! Just gorgeous empty space!

Well, I've clearly got used to it. I was doing a double take every time I saw an empty surface. Now I just see all the other stuff I haven't got rid of.

I need to redouble my efforts, and hope that, eventually, I will appreciate the space permanently, and not just see what's wrong with it.

I feel exactly the same way! After I moved in to my place 1 year ago, I decluttered half of my things. Now , so far this year I have probably reduced by about 50% again, and it still feels like I have too much stuff! Logically I know that I don't. actually I think it part the current illusion is due to the somewhat messy state of things not in their proper places due to mass decluttering- piles here and there...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1454 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
Visited a state park this morning and returned the map they have us to the guard shack when we left.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #1455 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
I donated a bag of food for a food drive a coworker was organizing for his community. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1456 on: April 18, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
My brother visited and commented on the odd noise from the fridge.  It was an ice machine that isnt hooked up, and I couldnt figure out how to turn it off.  It came with the rental, so I don't want to permanently turn it off.  Brother showed me that if I wedged an empter container under the "floater bar" so that it always registers as full then it won't run!  I am so happy.  I keep pausing and noticing how quiet the fridge is.  It was not constant noise, but every half hour or so it would growl.  It sure felt like clutter, and now it's gone!  Maybe it will use less electricity when it's not constantly trying to make ice?

I also gave a rug I made and an extra tooth brush to that brother. Then tossed an old mascarra, and took care of my pile of mending.   

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1457 on: April 18, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I have a TON of fabric I want to use up, and figured I could use a bunch of it to make camisoles/tank tops for summer and to wear under things. Anyone have any super simple sewing patterns for that?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1458 on: April 18, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
I have a TON of fabric I want to use up, and figured I could use a bunch of it to make camisoles/tank tops for summer and to wear under things. Anyone have any super simple sewing patterns for that?

Google search and you'll find many with tutorials or search burdastyle. Good luck!

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1459 on: April 19, 2015, 05:36:51 AM »
I did the Minimalist Challenge in January (get rid of 1 item on the 1st of the month, 2 on the 2nd, 3 on the 3rd, etc.) and we ended up ridding ourselves of 520 items when all was said and done.

Then, I read about getting rid of 2015 things in 2015!  It seems like a lot but at the same time, it would be a good lesson is what is Enough. Anyone interested in taking up this challenge with me?

We have a toddler who is the only grandchild on either side of the family. Also, my husband is an only child on his side of the family with divorced parents, so there is lots of competition over gifts between his mother, step-mom, aunt, and grandma.  So much plastic crap! I even wrote "no gifts please" on the invite to this bday party but no one seemed to notice.

Any item trashed, donated, recycled, sold, or upcycled (made some old t-shirts into reusable baby wipes) counts as an item.

Takers?

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #1460 on: April 19, 2015, 06:14:40 AM »
Cleared out the linen cupboard of the single bedsheets and random pillowcases who have lost their friends. Also took out the bedding which I kind of hate and never use. It will be getting donated next week!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1461 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:52 PM »
House is beginning to look a bit more spartan now which I quite enjoy.
Have realized I need to get back into donating my things to the Goodwill again ( rather than my complex) , because I need the receipts for tax purposes. ( I always pay , so this will help reduce what I pay next year) .

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1462 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:36 PM »
Sorted a pile of photo albums. Reduced 1 cubic foot of possessions down to 1x4x6 inches. 1000 photos. 950 tossed. 50 kept.  Will scan and toss the 50.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1463 on: April 19, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
Have gone through closet a little bit, and I have 4 bags full of things to donate.  And I just noticed another shirt that I will add to that today.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1464 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
I took my last load to the consignment shop to sell, and the guest bedroom which holds all my eBay items is getting emptier! Tomorrow 11 eBay items will ship out. I've been hitting it on all fronts, so my file cabinet is just about empty after a big scanning bout, and I'm donating a big pile of file folders tomorrow. After all these months of efforts I'm starting to really see and feel a difference. The next items to go are a collector car and a rental house...Let It Be So!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1465 on: April 20, 2015, 05:39:33 AM »
Love the idea of a rental house as "clutter".

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1466 on: April 20, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
Purged older son's room of the clothes that are now too small for him - have a giant mound (like 20 pairs of pants, every single long sleeved shirt he had, etc.) in the hallway. Will purge young son's clothing and then sort out what will fit him of the bigger clothes.

This weekend cleaned out the garage - lots of broken toys, junk, etc. that is out. Swept and reorganized and made it pretty (for a  garage). Got the younger kid help me purge some downstairs todays (mostly broken plastic junk). Decided to sell my rice cooker and cleaned it up and found the manual and made it look all nice and "like new!"

Community garage sale coming up and I am looking forward to getting a little money from all this stuff. I have been piling things in the guest room and it is getting to be a substantial collection.

Thinking about a big purge of my bookshelf.....

Feeling good!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1467 on: April 20, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
This weekend was a big weekend for me.  I freecycled an old sewing cabinet and a big bag of bubble wrap plus a box of packing materials.  I donated an old suitcase plus a duffel bag to a foster home.  I was also able to donate 28 pairs of shoes.  I got rid of a broken electronic scale plus some old cell phone batteries and chargers at work as a part of the e-recycling that is available this week.  I also recycled about 8 bags of plastic bags, it's amazing how they pile up.

I'm on the last stretch of moving and it feels great to get rid of this stuff!  I can't wait to go through everything again to really get down to just what I *actually* need.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1468 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
This weekend was a big weekend for me.  I freecycled an old sewing cabinet and a big bag of bubble wrap plus a box of packing materials.  I donated an old suitcase plus a duffel bag to a foster home.  I was also able to donate 28 pairs of shoes.  I got rid of a broken electronic scale plus some old cell phone batteries and chargers at work as a part of the e-recycling that is available this week.  I also recycled about 8 bags of plastic bags, it's amazing how they pile up.

I'm on the last stretch of moving and it feels great to get rid of this stuff!  I can't wait to go through everything again to really get down to just what I *actually* need.

Whoa!  28 pairs of shoes!  Isn't it amazing!  I need to go through my shoes too. I don't think I will get rid of 28 pairs, but you never can tell. My decluttering has totally ground to a halt. I am stuck on the fact that things still are useful and have some life in them, but no one will see that and I don't want to be wasteful. Also stuck on whether or not to have a garage sale. Any suggestions anyone?

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1469 on: April 20, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »
I had never really decluttered before, so things were really piling up!  It feels so great getting rid of things.

One thing that worked for me was freecycle.com - you post what you have and its condition and if someone is interested they will come pick it up.  Since my goal right now is just to get rid of things it has worked out really well.  Plus, I feel like the stuff I am getting rid of would make next to nothing on craigslist and this keep it out of the landfill.

Garage sales can work, if things are priced right.  Meaning that you need to decide if you want to make money or get rid of as much as possible.  But they take a lot of time and if the weather doesn't cooperate it can be a total bust.  It helps if you live in a neighborhood that has a large sale all on the same day.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1470 on: April 20, 2015, 07:52:34 AM »

The Sami Cami is a free downloadable pattern from Iconic Patterns, it works very well for me. The straps are a bit fiddly but by my second go round I had them worked out. The first one - which I made kind of a mess of - I replaced the straps with some of those removable bra straps that come with convertible bras. I seemed to have more straps than bras (story of my not-throwing-stuff-away life). That made the straps easier, but if you go slow, the straps as instructed are fine. Best to start with a thicker fabric - my trouble was a thin knit.

I've also lengthened the pattern to make a knit slip. For a normal slip I found a pattern in a Vogue dress pattern I had, so if you have any commercial patterns, see if any include one as an extra.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1471 on: April 20, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
rummage sale this weekend was a success.  Made $301 for a few hours work and got rid of a ton.  The majority of what was left was donated the same day!  I feel like we've made a small dent.

And... confession... I've been holding on to some "smaller" clothes for years now with the hopes of getting back in them.  Post cancer (tamoxifen) i gained 30lbs and then i had a baby on top of that.   I'm not getting in those clothes.  As hard as it was, I put all of them in the donate bag last night.  Will be making another pickup load donation this weekend. 

41 days until I figure we need to have the house ready to go.  We're getting our bathroom cabinets refinished on 6/1.  They will be done by 6/12 so I think we will list the house on 6/15.   In between, we need to declutter, pack, have the interior of the house painted, put in new fixtures in the bathrooms, do some small landscaping jobs and have the cabinets refinished.  Whew, i'm tired just typing that...

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1472 on: April 20, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »
Have gone through closet a little bit, and I have 4 bags full of things to donate.  And I just noticed another shirt that I will add to that today.
Success, having things bagged up feels good, but actually finding a good local charity and dropping them off feels great!  I added 3 more shirts and also grabbed a big box of things from my brother's house that his kids had outgrown and took that in as well.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1473 on: April 21, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
Cleaned up plastic containers and threw away a bunch. Also found our old phones while decluttering something else. Time to put them on eBay!

Also found a bunch of stuff to put on craigslist. I can see the house is becoming lighter. :)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1474 on: April 21, 2015, 06:58:40 PM »
Love the idea of a rental house as "clutter".

Hee hee, not only the rental house but all the extra supplies we keep in our garage for possible repairs. Clutter city!!

veronica mars rover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now move Uranus, the Mercury's rising.
« Reply #1475 on: April 22, 2015, 02:15:28 PM »
I "declutter" every six months or so but after finishing The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up this weekend, I felt itchy to take another pass at it. 

Whoa. 

There really is something to the idea of putting all like items in a pile and then determining which ones really matter.  Things look different when they aren't on a shelf.  I boxed up 72 volumes!  (Would have boxed up many, many more except that the SO is not on board with decluttering, so I could only donate books that are 100% mine.)  I was so excited that I tackled the craft closet and gathered two big bags of miscellany that were meant to be projects "someday."  It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1476 on: April 22, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
I "declutter" every six months or so but after finishing The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up this weekend, I felt itchy to take another pass at it. 

Wow! Very inspiring. I agree with your thoughts on the "Konmarie" method - putting everything in piles really helps !

Whoa. 

There really is something to the idea of putting all like items in a pile and then determining which ones really matter.  Things look different when they aren't on a shelf.  I boxed up 72 volumes!  (Would have boxed up many, many more except that the SO is not on board with decluttering, so I could only donate books that are 100% mine.)  I was so excited that I tackled the craft closet and gathered two big bags of miscellany that were meant to be projects "someday."  It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1477 on: April 24, 2015, 11:27:04 AM »
We made more progress at home this past weekend. I spent a lot of time talking with the wife about the growing clutter in our house, most of which is from our three youngest kids leaving stuff everywhere.

She basically had a nervous breakdown because of the clutter, so we sat and discussed.

I basically described how our kids have unlimited stuff and free time (to them). When you have unlimited money, it doesn't matter how you spend it... and our kids have more stuff and time than they know how to manage. Just like giving a 13-year-old a million dollars, they waste it and don't manage it well. They have to start with nothing and work their way up. They don't work as a team, and are constantly sloughing off responsibilities, too.

I suggested we remove everything that's not essential to their school (and my wife's sanity) and as they learn to manage, slowly give some of it back. They would have to show us they can manage small things before they moved on to bigger and better things.

I'm not sure we're out of the woods yet, but I will push it some more and see what I can get away with. As far as I'm concerned, they can ditch everything and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1478 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
We made more progress at home this past weekend. I spent a lot of time talking with the wife about the growing clutter in our house, most of which is from our three youngest kids leaving stuff everywhere.

She basically had a nervous breakdown because of the clutter, so we sat and discussed.

I basically described how our kids have unlimited stuff and free time (to them). When you have unlimited money, it doesn't matter how you spend it... and our kids have more stuff and time than they know how to manage. Just like giving a 13-year-old a million dollars, they waste it and don't manage it well. They have to start with nothing and work their way up. They don't work as a team, and are constantly sloughing off responsibilities, too.

I suggested we remove everything that's not essential to their school (and my wife's sanity) and as they learn to manage, slowly give some of it back. They would have to show us they can manage small things before they moved on to bigger and better things.

I'm not sure we're out of the woods yet, but I will push it some more and see what I can get away with. As far as I'm concerned, they can ditch everything and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

This is so inspiring, but I need to do it for me.  DD stuff is still pretty manageable, but it could be cut back.  If people would stop giving her the damn stuffed animals!  If it is special, great, but factory made from polyester in China by little kids fingers is not special IMO. 

I just read this blog post

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2012/09/14/why-i-took-all-my-kids-toys-away-why-they-wont-get-them-back/

(and this one) about getting rid of kids stuff

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2013/09/13/why-i-took-my-kids-toys-away-one-year-later/

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1479 on: April 24, 2015, 02:13:36 PM »

This is so inspiring, but I need to do it for me.  DD stuff is still pretty manageable, but it could be cut back.  If people would stop giving her the damn stuffed animals!  If it is special, great, but factory made from polyester in China by little kids fingers is not special IMO. 

I hate stuffed animals!!! They're EVERYWHERE! I have 3 daughters...

I just read this blog post

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2012/09/14/why-i-took-all-my-kids-toys-away-why-they-wont-get-them-back/

(and this one) about getting rid of kids stuff

http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2013/09/13/why-i-took-my-kids-toys-away-one-year-later/

I've read those. It's very inspiring... those kids are pretty young, though. I have teenagers, and they don't like cooperating about anything, especially when you're talking about taking away their indulgent lifestyle. I expect resistance. But it needs to be done for my wife's sanity.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1480 on: April 24, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
I also declutter regularly & didn't think I had anything to get rid of until I read the Tidying book. In 2 days filled my car with thrift store stuff, the huge recycling bin  & our huge garbage bin.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1481 on: April 24, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
Speaking of The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, the hosts of this podcast talk about it in this episode.  I love their podcast so much and really liked this episode - probably because I'm right there, too, with the toys.

http://www.girlnextdoorpodcast.com/2015/04/simplifying-lawnmower-shrapnel.html

I actually used them as inspiration today and culled a bunch of my babe's toys.  Little by little we will get there . . .

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1482 on: April 25, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »
Today we are (finally) getting rid of the 1970 era pepsi machine in the garage.  Called one of those people who junks old appliances for free.  Yes, I know he's making money off of the machine, and I'm glad that someone can do so and get it out of my garage!

We've also been tearing out the basement, and I've held aside metal things instead of throwing them in the dumpster.  So the junk man is having a lucky day!  He also gets aluminum molding, some copper pipes, and a really old and ugly (and broken) stainless steel range hood.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1483 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:43 AM »
Tomorrow it's kingsday, a day that the Dutch people celebrate the birthday of our king. At this day it's allowed to sell your clutter in parks. So I have collected al my clutter.... Let's hope it will find a new owner tomorrow ;)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1484 on: April 26, 2015, 12:43:48 PM »
Tomorrow it's kingsday, a day that the Dutch people celebrate the birthday of our king. At this day it's allowed to sell your clutter in parks. So I have collected al my clutter.... Let's hope it will find a new owner tomorrow ;)

That's a fun thing to know about, Kander. Hope you do well at your King's Day sale!!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1485 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:45 AM »
My daughter is looking forward to "In Which The Bedroom Is No Longer A Fiber Storage Room".

If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".  I finally cleared out all of the stuff we don't need or want to move and it's taking up half the dining room table.  Trying to sell it, but if no one wants it we'll give it to the charity shop and see if they can find any takers. 
Our kitchen now is not only cleaner, it's downright spacious!  Who knew?

I feel this way about my garage, and I've only just begun! :D
I'm looking forward to the chapter in my book titled " In Which The Craft Room Can Be Used Again"

I quite enjoyed my own 'Hey I Can Actually Enter The Spare Bedroom Without Tripping Over".
I haven't reached the craft room but this weekend we got through the chapter "In which they discover their house has a gym". It was lovely when the floor was clear and the recycling bin was full. Now my mat's on the floor and I don't have to move it! Exercise equipment can now live next to it as well.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #1486 on: April 27, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »

That's a fun thing to know about, Kander. Hope you do well at your King's Day sale!!

Yes, it went well :) We have sold a lot of things for a little money, but that is no problem. It's better than nothing, right? ;)

BananaPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1487 on: April 27, 2015, 11:07:49 AM »
And... confession... I've been holding on to some "smaller" clothes for years now with the hopes of getting back in them.  Post cancer (tamoxifen) i gained 30lbs and then i had a baby on top of that.   I'm not getting in those clothes.  As hard as it was, I put all of them in the donate bag last night.  Will be making another pickup load donation this weekend. 

I did this and found it very freeing.  I was hanging onto "skinny" clothes from 10 years ago, several sizes smaller than I've worn in the last 8 years (and definitely the last 5+).  I've had two babies and even if I did get back down to that weight, my body shape has changed enough that I don't know if they'd fit the same, and the styles were already outdated.  They weren't even high-end or high quality brands - we're talking Old Navy, here!   So I finally let go of them and donated them all.  I still have a goal to lose the weight but my reward will be to buy myself a new wardrobe! 

I'm going through my maternity clothes soon.  We're 50/50 on having another baby, but around 1/3 of my maternity clothes were given to me by a friend who lives in a different climate and has a more casual work dress code.  I never even wore most of the clothes that were given to me, and it's highly unlikely that I would at this point!  I also found that after wearing some items through two pregnancies they're starting to look worn, so even if I am pregnant again I'll still need to buy some new maternity clothes.  So my goal is to pare down the maternity wardrobe substantially and get the unwanted stuff out of our house. 

Clothing is our family's big issue in general.  We were the last in his large extended family to have children and our younger child is the youngest in the family with everyone else being decidedly DONE with childbearing, so we're constantly getting hand-me-downs dumped on us.  We recently started sorting those hand me downs and immediately donating 90% of them (often the items are not a style we'd choose for our kids, wrong size/season, or are worn or permanently-stained).  Plus my mother was a bit of a shopping maniac for our older daughter and bought us huge wardrobes in each size from 3 months - 3T, ostensibly so we wouldn't have to do laundry more than once a week.  Right now my husband and I are sorting through our kids' clothes and paring them what we're keeping in storage, selling what we can at the local children's consignment store and then just donating the rest that we don't keep.   We're keeping a basic wardrobe in each size in case we have a third child (and it's another girl) but we are not keeping ALL of this kids' clothing! 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #1488 on: April 27, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
So I did a huge KonMari style purge all last week and was so happy thru the process. I mean, like, giddy with joy at getting rid of all that stuff I don't need.

But now....I'm sad. I can't really explain it other than, I just feel kinda sad. Not specifically about my stuff, and not in any way that makes me want my decluttered possessions back. I just feel rather empty, like maybe I was looking for more life changing and what I got was....just a tidier house? Or maybe it's just a natural comedown after the mission-like focus of the decluttering? I don't know.

Has anyone else ever experience post-tidying melancholy? Is this a normal thing?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1489 on: April 27, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »
@Erica, Maybe the "Life Changing Joy" will come in a few days when you don't have a messy house to cleanup? I would love to be have a non-messy house <sigh>.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1490 on: April 27, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
@Erica, Maybe the "Life Changing Joy" will come in a few days when you don't have a messy house to cleanup? I would love to be have a non-messy house <sigh>.
I don't know....the promise is a house decluttered, and the book delivers on that 110%. But as I was mopping and vacuuming last night I was kinda facing that less stuff =/= less cleaning. Maybe less dusting with knick-nacks and things, but I didn't have so many of those anyway. But my home still has the same square footage to wipe, scrub, vacuum, mop and dust. We will use and dirty the same number of pots and they will have to be washed. I don't want to suggest it's a letdown....because this book made an incredible impact on me, but it's almost one of those, "wherever you go, there you are" kind of realizations. Living vibrantly is messy. Less stuff only marginally changes that.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1491 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
I don't know....the promise is a house decluttered, and the book delivers on that 110%. But as I was mopping and vacuuming last night I was kinda facing that less stuff =/= less cleaning. Maybe less dusting with knick-nacks and things, but I didn't have so many of those anyway. But my home still has the same square footage to wipe, scrub, vacuum, mop and dust. We will use and dirty the same number of pots and they will have to be washed. I don't want to suggest it's a letdown....because this book made an incredible impact on me, but it's almost one of those, "wherever you go, there you are" kind of realizations. Living vibrantly is messy. Less stuff only marginally changes that.

Where I'm noticing a big difference is with clothes, shoes and jewelry. I feel actual joy when I open a drawer or closet now. I can see what is there and I appreciate all of it. I wear all of it, I clean it and put it away with mindfulness. Meanwhile, its discarded brethren are earning me money at a consignment shop or through tax deductions from being donated. There are no more piles of drawer-musty items whose identity I can't really make out. Ahhh, I really love it. But then again, I saw myself in Marie Kondo's OCD description of herself as a young girl, lol. ~Maybe it is elsewhere in your home where tidying would make a bigger impact, Erica? Like a garage or office or...?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:25:58 PM by Practical Magic »

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1492 on: April 27, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
An add-on to Erica's comment about feeling a letdown post decluttering...What I have felt is an incredulousness, like 'WTH, there is still more stuff??" I've felt this mostly in the areas of decorative, paperwork, and sentimental items. It's unbelievable how much stuff there still is, after all my efforts! So when I discover more stuff, I take a deep breath, let it out and then tackle it. More papers to scan, items to list on ebay or amazon? Well okay, here we go. I will not let the stuff beat me. Grrrr
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:22:34 PM by Practical Magic »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1493 on: April 27, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
So I did a huge KonMari style purge all last week and was so happy thru the process. I mean, like, giddy with joy at getting rid of all that stuff I don't need.

But now....I'm sad. I can't really explain it other than, I just feel kinda sad. Not specifically about my stuff, and not in any way that makes me want my decluttered possessions back. I just feel rather empty, like maybe I was looking for more life changing and what I got was....just a tidier house? Or maybe it's just a natural comedown after the mission-like focus of the decluttering? I don't know.

Has anyone else ever experience post-tidying melancholy? Is this a normal thing?

Theres an excersize maybe half way through her book where she has you list the top 5 reasons why you wish to declutter. Then she asks you to ask why you wish for the thing that is the reason - an example to clarify - one reason one might wish to declutter is for a more peaceful home environment- one might want a more peaceful home so they have a clearer mind- one might want the clearer mind so they will make better decisions- one might wish for better decision making so they can move forward toward a stifled dream , etc.. she asks us to break down each reason four or five times. for me, the five reasons ended up ultimately leading to two root issues I have been avoiding facing..
She also writes of how when we seek to begin working through these things in our lives,  we unconsciously are compelled to tidy first, then we are able to face these things..
so, I don't know if that's applicable to you, but it made sense in a way when I read it.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1494 on: April 27, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
An add-on to Erica's comment about feeling a letdown post decluttering...What I have felt is an incredulousness, like 'WTH, there is still more stuff??" I've felt this mostly in the areas of decorative, paperwork, and sentimental items. It's unbelievable how much stuff there still is, after all my efforts! So when I discover more stuff, I take a deep breath, let it out and then tackle it. More papers to scan, items to list on ebay or amazon? Well okay, here we go. I will not let the stuff beat me. Grrrr
For sure. I have that too. "I got rid of all this and ALL THIS is still here?" And once you start the letting go process you realize how little of the stuff actually brings value to you.

But with a few more hours to process this feeling, I think where I am is the conflicting feeling that our home is more than we need. It's just too much. I love my home. We built it, it's in the (to me) perfect location, and it's (most importantly) attached to my garden. But the house itself is 30% too large. I can't ignore that now. The many now-empty drawers, shelves, storage areas, etc. are witness to a life designed to a scale larger than I need.

I don't know how to deal with that. It's an internal conflict. Eventually, I will make peace with it, but for now the in-between space is uncomfortable.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1495 on: April 27, 2015, 07:11:27 PM »
For sure. I have that too. "I got rid of all this and ALL THIS is still here?" And once you start the letting go process you realize how little of the stuff actually brings value to you.

But with a few more hours to process this feeling, I think where I am is the conflicting feeling that our home is more than we need. It's just too much. I love my home. We built it, it's in the (to me) perfect location, and it's (most importantly) attached to my garden. But the house itself is 30% too large. I can't ignore that now. The many now-empty drawers, shelves, storage areas, etc. are witness to a life designed to a scale larger than I need.

I don't know how to deal with that. It's an internal conflict. Eventually, I will make peace with it, but for now the in-between space is uncomfortable.

Yup, me too.   Our house is at least 30%, possibly 50%, too big.   I am mad decluttering, but then I just have empty space that reminds me that we have too much space.

We're planning on down-sizing in the next couple of years.   And while I don't love the location of our house too much (rural farm house in fields), we've really fixed the inside up to a point I love, it has character, it's in very good condition, and it's still really not expensive.   We could probably save a little by down-sizing, but especially considering the risk of the unknown problems of a new house, I think the margin's too small to probably shave off much.   

So, I'm torn between wanting the efficiency of smaller and hating the excess of bigger, but not looking forward to all of the work and hassle of moving with little financial benefit and added new risk.

But, in the mean-time I can't stand the clutter, so it's going anyway.   Maybe I'll grow to love the empty space (just in time to down size and not have it anymore ;) )

BTW, I love your blog.   

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1496 on: April 27, 2015, 07:31:16 PM »
Yup, me too.   Our house is at least 30%, possibly 50%, too big.   I am mad decluttering, but then I just have empty space that reminds me that we have too much space.

We're planning on down-sizing in the next couple of years.   And while I don't love the location of our house too much (rural farm house in fields), we've really fixed the inside up to a point I love, it has character, it's in very good condition, and it's still really not expensive.   We could probably save a little by down-sizing, but especially considering the risk of the unknown problems of a new house, I think the margin's too small to probably shave off much.   

So, I'm torn between wanting the efficiency of smaller and hating the excess of bigger, but not looking forward to all of the work and hassle of moving with little financial benefit and added new risk.

But, in the mean-time I can't stand the clutter, so it's going anyway.   Maybe I'll grow to love the empty space (just in time to down size and not have it anymore ;) )

BTW, I love your blog.
Hey, thanks!

It's actually really valuable to hear other MMM folks in this conflict. It's like, we're supposed to go for the BIG WINS, right? And housing is the biggest win there is. But for me at least, our house is, for the deep joy and value it gives us, not so expensive on an ongoing basis. I feel this deep emotional connection to my place and space, and there's the practical aspect of moving being a pain in the ass. So I doubt I'd be actively happier in any other space.

And yet I'm aware that in mustachian terms, I am not optimized. So that's this nagging irritating burr in my side - that I could do better. At the end of the day, I just need to make peace with being under-optimized. Basically, I think I need to tell the perfectionist in me to shut the hell up.

Thanks for letting me talk this out. I can't even tell you how valuable it is. One thing about that KonMari method is it DOES lead to some introspection. Whether you want it to or not. :D

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1497 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »

BTW, I love your blog.
Hey, thanks!

It's actually really valuable to hear other MMM folks in this conflict. It's like, we're supposed to go for the BIG WINS, right? And housing is the biggest win there is. But for me at least, our house is, for the deep joy and value it gives us, not so expensive on an ongoing basis. I feel this deep emotional connection to my place and space, and there's the practical aspect of moving being a pain in the ass. So I doubt I'd be actively happier in any other space.

And yet I'm aware that in mustachian terms, I am not optimized. So that's this nagging irritating burr in my side - that I could do better. At the end of the day, I just need to make peace with being under-optimized. Basically, I think I need to tell the perfectionist in me to shut the hell up.

Thanks for letting me talk this out. I can't even tell you how valuable it is. One thing about that KonMari method is it DOES lead to some introspection. Whether you want it to or not. :D

Yup, yup and yup :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1498 on: April 27, 2015, 10:34:33 PM »
Our house is at least 30%, possibly 50%, too big.

Yes I'm in the same boat

Hey, thanks!

And I'm here also.  I love my place and space deeply, but its excessive, and with the joy comes a burden to care for. And I'm still scarred from  the stress of my last house move.. …. and actually I'm not sure where else to go.

She does say the process helps define your identity, values etc….I'm still a work in progress I guess.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #1499 on: April 27, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »
I took two bags of old clothes to H & M for recycling and got two 15% off vouchers. Yay!