Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850080 times)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1400 on: April 08, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
Selling two of our lamps today. We used them in our previous homes but the current one has light fixtures already and our lamps are gathering dust. Also they are not child proof (from prekid days) and I dont see ourselves using them for a long time. So storing them in craigslist :)

Now thinking if I should sell our office chair too.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #1401 on: April 08, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
I mentioned to MIL that I'm in the process of decluttering the house. When she asks me what things I'm getting rid of, I mention things like the jewelry making supplies I bought and haven't used for years (letting go of my fantasy self). Her response? "Don't get rid of it! You may want to use it some day!" When I politely responded that no, I don't ever see myself as the jewelry making type, she said "Well then give it to me, and I'll keep it for you!"

There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to begin. Not the least of which is the fact that she lives on the other side of the continent!

Anyway, I get an email from her today that's all about the Feng Shui of letting go of paper... So, paper is bad Feng Shui, but boxes full of supplies you're never going to use is good? The logic escapes me.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1402 on: April 08, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »
Work sent out a notice about their "office supply recycling program" where you direct unused office supplies to the program and they redistribute.  Took two reams of copy paper, a container of cardstock that I've had for 4 years, and a few other useful odds and ends in.  SO nice to have found a good home for those items! 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: April 08, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
In a rare situation, I needed to put on a suit today for work.  I was in a hurry, so I didn't change when I realized it was tight on my thighs.  As I've been carefully bending down to pick up things and I can hear I've ripped my lining a few times...I am mentally filing this away as motivation, not only to get rid of this suit but to try on all of my suits and get rid of those that don't fit.  For some reason when I go through my closet, I never try suits on - just pants/skirts/shirts.

Sad though, it was my favorite suit!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: April 08, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »
Realized today that although I love the look of colourful cushions on my beige sectional couch (hygge) http://www.visitdenmark.com/danish-meaning-hygge I can't STAND it when the kids chuck the cushions on the floor. All day long, I keep putting cushions back in their place. Today, I put the cushions away to try and remove this little messy frustration from my life.

They may/may not make a reappearance next winter!

OT: Can anyone instruct me in how to insert a link but just making the word highlighted? I love that feature but can't figure it out!

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1405 on: April 08, 2015, 03:15:58 PM »
Now that I know I will be moving within the month, I am doing even better with decluttering. Nothing like moving to help with that!  Antique falling apart (REALLY falling apart) chandelier out. Old pillow I don't like (that was almost out before, but I TOOK OUT of the pile... tsk tsk.) . Several more clothes in a style I haven't been wearing for a couple years now. Went thru paperwork again.. its amazing how it seems to accumulate so quickly.. I thought I was getting better about discarding before it landed in the pile.. Will go through everything again before I move. Hoping to decrease a bit more. I don't hav much now, but the bulk of what I do have is actually fabric (and related sewing articles) and pieces I have created, as well as other art pieces. I show my work , so that will be kept for sure. Will review all sewing stuff again (as haven't been sewing for a while now) and reduce further.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: April 08, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
Write it out this way, removing the #:

[#url=http://www.visitdenmark.com/danish-meaning-hygge]link[/url]

Obviously, you can change the word link
[#url=http://www.visitdenmark.com/danish-meaning-hygge]see[/url]
see

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:22 PM »
:)

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1409 on: April 08, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »
Took three large backs of clothes, books, and other miscellany to the Brown Elephant (local thrift store) Monday. Already have another bag of clothes ready to go (most of the clothes is either 10 years old or hand-me-downs from my mother or sister that I thought I would wear but don't).

I almost took a pair of rain boots, but they're Aigle and the are in great condition (they simply don't fit anymore) so I'm trying to recoup some of my cost via Craigslist. Fingers crossed!

Next project: BF's closet...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: April 08, 2015, 09:54:02 PM »
Snuck my accumulated plastic wear into the cupboard in the lunch room at work.  Coworkers use and toss that stuff like crazy!  I forget to pack a utensil and have to use plastic more often than I like, but I can't handle throwing it out... So I take it home and wash it, but I had collected quite a pile.

Tossing a box I thought would be great to store something in...  Something?  What?? That's too vague. Out it goes.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: April 09, 2015, 02:35:43 AM »
Another 11 things out of the house yesterday. And 5 things sold on ebay (I had already counted them as decluttered, so it was just nice to see the money roll in).

I did buy some fabric at the weekend though, so I need to concentrate on making up some things before I buy any more. I worked on a top yesterday, but it's a finicky fabric and I wasn't enjoying myself. Hope to cut out a few more things at the weekend, concentrating on using up large scraps so they are out of my life once and for all. I see a few new tank tops in my future!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1412 on: April 09, 2015, 05:23:45 AM »
Last night I scanned more of the endless genealogy files I inherited from my dad. My mom was going through some of her stuff and found 2 big accordion files of papers. I can recycle most of it without scanning but I have to look at each paper because sometimes I find photos or personal correspondence from my grandparents or aunt.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1413 on: April 09, 2015, 06:42:47 AM »
My community posted a flyer for a garage sale next weekend.  Super excited, will put my stuff out in the driveway for 4 hours and if it doesn't sell, pack it up and head to goodwill.  Will curb my "it's worth something" mind and get more stuff out of the house.  And will probably be a good reminder that my stuff really isn't worth much and make future donations much easier! 

Love reading everyone's successes on here, it's been so motivating!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1414 on: April 10, 2015, 07:32:33 AM »
Still trying to convince my wife and youngest 2 daughters to get on board with minimizing. My youngest is borderline Asperger's... she hangs on to every little piece of cardboard and junk.

Last night, wife told them "You either clean the room or I'm going to get a big bucket and do it myself!" which she's threatened numerous times, and never follows through on. I said "I have a big plastic tub available, would you like me to go get it right now??"
I'm going to bring the tub in today, and it's not moving from the center of the room till it's full. My girls are absolute hoarders, I won't even go in their room any more, my oldest daughter can't even stand it. My wife is so flustered with all the housework of cleaning up after the pack rats that she doesn't know what to do.

Plastic Tub is my new best friend. And he's hungry.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1415 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
Funkystickman, good luck with your new best friend! 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1416 on: April 10, 2015, 09:20:48 AM »
I did buy some fabric at the weekend though, so I need to concentrate on making up some things before I buy any more. I worked on a top yesterday, but it's a finicky fabric and I wasn't enjoying myself. Hope to cut out a few more things at the weekend, concentrating on using up large scraps so they are out of my life once and for all. I see a few new tank tops in my future!

This is a great idea- to use up fabric to minimize. I hadn't thought of this . periodicly I get way into my sewing ( only have to get started then I remember how much I love it) . so I still have been holding onto a fair amount of fabric and supplies. Best to use them up rather than keep holding onto  the stuff for more years to come!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:01:11 PM by riverffashion »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1417 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Still trying to convince my wife and youngest 2 daughters to get on board with minimizing. My youngest is borderline Asperger's... she hangs on to every little piece of cardboard and junk.

Last night, wife told them "You either clean the room or I'm going to get a big bucket and do it myself!" which she's threatened numerous times, and never follows through on. I said "I have a big plastic tub available, would you like me to go get it right now??"
I'm going to bring the tub in today, and it's not moving from the center of the room till it's full. My girls are absolute hoarders, I won't even go in their room any more, my oldest daughter can't even stand it. My wife is so flustered with all the housework of cleaning up after the pack rats that she doesn't know what to do.

Plastic Tub is my new best friend. And he's hungry.

Definitely nip the hording in the bud with the kids. I've been enjoying watching the Hoarder tv shows this week (train wreak tv - and my roommate can't do without cable) and some of them it started when they were kids.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1418 on: April 10, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »
I am committed to weeding out my suits and wedgewood. Going to get rid of stuff I don't like.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: April 10, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
I just want to say a big thank you to everyone on this thread.  You keep me motivated to keep plugging away at areas and encourage me to revisit them after I think I'm "done" (when I'm really not!).  I read the book so many recommended above (Life Changing Art of Tidying Up), and it was great, giving some new ideas about how to treat things.  I won't start thanking my clothes anytime soon, but I am going to try more purging in the order she's recommended, bringing all items of a type together to see how big my collections really are, and to start with the blank slate and decide what to keep - rather than starting with everything and deciding what to throw away.

My home contains about 20% of what my sister's house has, and yet there is SO MUCH that I could get rid of without missing.  I admire those of you on here who have really purged down.  It helps to know my main preventers for getting rid of things are in order: my husband ("but are you sure?..."), emotional reasons ("that was grandma's"), practical reasons ("I might need it") and informational reasons "I might want to consult it later").  Step one will be not to show my husband things I'm getting rid of! 

The exercise of thinking about what I want to declutter is illuminating.  At first, I think I want to declutter to have a beautiful put-together and coordinated home like I see in magazines...but after thought, it's really that a cluttered home makes me feel like I have a to-do list that's never complete and thus home is stressful rather than relaxing.  It also takes time to keep up putting things away/cleaning.

And every time this thread pops up, it reminds me to keep on with it, helping me create habits of not just removing clutter but not letting it into my life.  I am pretty bad about seeing "deals" and picking up free stuff, and this helps me curb those instincts for only things I really want.  Free isn't really free.

So thank you.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1420 on: April 10, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »
I spendt about five minutes when I got home pulling clothes off their hangers. - the clothes ive been hating & avoiding everytime I go into my closet. and then of course, out go all those extra hangers I no longer need. and a set of pillowcases ive never used for good measure.
there is this skirt - really a nice looking skirt , rather interesting one actually- that I purchased at Macys for $75 like five years ago & back then I used to wear it regularly.  ive been holding onto it for those two reasons (cost and look of it ), and also because all my coworkers admire it when I wear it. maybe I should give it to one of them , thats a thought... the thing is that's its a size or 2 too big now (and ive been consistently smaller for 2 years now). another option is to alter , which im quite capable of. but I need to do something with it, because its another one of those items I refuse to ever wear.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1421 on: April 10, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
got rid of a few more shirts, but I had weeded through these recently.  Tomorrow is the big closet go through.  I am now done with my dresser, except undie/bra/sock drawer...that one is a beast!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: April 10, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
A garbage bag of clothes and a box of books ... GONE!

Was happy to drop another load at the thrift store ... did go back in and pick up a few much needed items in lieu of shopping retail. 1 skirt, 1 pair of pants, 2 summer tops

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #1423 on: April 12, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
In the last couple of weeks, I cleared out several items of clothing I don't like.  Among other items, there lurked a huge tangle of hose that I haven't needed since I changed jobs 10 years ago (and probably couldn't fit in now anyway)--dealt with!  Shoes that I never wear are being donated, as are books that I haven't wanted to reread in the last couple of years.  I also put aside three boxes (and counting) of household items to donate.  Old paperwork is being shredded or recycled.  And I looked up local options for hard-to-recycle items like clothes that aren't in good enough shape to donate, paint cans, etc.

Thanks to reading this thread consistently, I'm getting past the, "what if I need it later," "what if I miss it," etc.  So thank you all for the inspiration to get (and keep) going on this project. 

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #1424 on: April 12, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
I have a couple of things listed in eBay. I started at a fairly low price and looks like it would sell for that price. However I have this mental block that I should be getting more money for that stuff. I listed at $60 and the electronic item is worth $200. I had earlier listed it at $100 and no one bid.

On one hand I just want it off my house. On the other, I know the actual value is higher and I feel bad for giving away the item. How do I convince myself its OK to let go of the (perceived) value of the item?
It's only actually worth what someone will pay you for it. Regardless of what you think it is worth. If it is worth more, find someone to pay more. If said person is not to be found, they don't exist. :) it's OK to let it go.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: April 13, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »
So my list is around 800 items I've got out of house so far this year (I think. Somewhere around that number). My husband is by turns amused (I threw out an inelastic rubber band yesterday, and he said 'Are you checking that off your list?!') and amazed, because every so often I ask, 'Have you missed anything' and the answer is always NO.

How is it possible to get rid of so many things, and yet never once think, 'Where is that? Oh I threw it out and regret it'? Seriously, I haven't looked for / missed a single thing. It's mind-blowing.

It's getting harder though. I've picked all the low-hanging fruit. At first, it was hard. Then, when I realised I didn't miss anything it was liberating, and I got rid of loads of stuff! Things I wouldn't even had considered at the beginning. But now I am getting down to stuff I really -don't want to get rid of-.

If the reasons were "I like it and I use it" that would be fine. My aim is a house that only contains things I enjoy (and by that I mean enjoy seeing and/or using). But those aren't the reasons. The main ones seem to be 'That cost me a lot of money!', yet I have researched Ebay and now know it to be basically worthless. I need to let this stuff go. The money is gone. Holding onto the item when I don't use it is just a kind of punishment.

I don't want to give it to friends/family because that just feels like giving them a burden. And in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:07:21 AM by theadvicist »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1426 on: April 13, 2015, 07:31:53 AM »
If the reasons were "I like it and I use it" that would be fine. My aim is a house that only contains things I enjoy (and by that I mean enjoy seeing and/or using). But those aren't the reasons. The main ones seem to be 'That cost me a lot of money!', yet I have researched Ebay and now know it to be basically worthless. I need to let this stuff go. The money is gone. Holding onto the item when I don't use it is just a kind of punishment.

I don't want to give it to friends/family because that just feels like giving them a burden. And in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.

So true.
I like the concept with Freecycle, but I have a problem with people not picking things up as agreed.  I was trying to give away binders and after several people wanted them and then flaked on me, I gave up and took them away to the dump instead.

MoustacheKnittah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1427 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
We are finally, FINALLY getting rid of our storage unit. It hasn't had much in it for a year, and is just a waste of money. We got it three years ago when we were redoing the flooring in much of the house and did not have room for all of the furniture. We will be out by the end of the month. We went out this weekend and took the last of the boxes - half a dozen or so. Mr. MoustacheKnittah made me sort through the boxes out on the patio to ensure there were no critters or other disgusting delights after the boxes have languished in the out-of-doors for so long. Immediately put half of the items in boxes for charity shop. Set a chair and a lamp out of the curb. Thought about selling these, but we had more important stuff to do this weekend. They were taken immediately - I figure I am repaying the curb furniture gods for a few good finds over the years.

At any rate, we still have an old mattress (donate/trash), two chairs that need upholstery (will go home) and a tool box (donate). Friend has some stuff and we told him it just needs to be out by the end of the month. Victory over storage unit is so close!

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #1428 on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:39 AM »
Get rid of the phone book for good by opting out. Saves you time by never having to recycle it again and is environmentally friendly. https://www.yellowpagesoptout.com/

THANK YOU!  Phone books are my nemesis and I have no idea the last time we've used them!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1429 on: April 13, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.

British Heart Foundation.  They have some shops which are clothes etc. but others which are furniture and electricals.

You may also have a local auction which sells electricals (usually the auctions at the lower end of the market, which also means cheaper - I have a reasonably local one that charges £1 per item plus commission, so I can give something one go pretty cheaply ), although they will need a safety check before hand (the auction may do this for you).

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1430 on: April 13, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
I'm a bit sad. I've been clearing out my parents' attic and found a lot of my old toys. Most of them aren't worth keeping or donating, and some are borderline. (As in, could be donated or maybe sold, but really likely not due to too much wear and tear.) But I'm just kind of sad to dump them in the trash. I mean, I'm 43 w/no kids, so it's not like I'm going to be playing with them, but it's still sad saying goodbye to things that were good friends when I was a kid (only child, so toys were kind of friends at times). I know I have no room or need for them, but it's just a tearjerker. I'm reminded again that growing up kind of sucks.

Can I recommend that you pick one or two of your favorites and keep them?  That works for me, as I have a small box with my high school letters (for my jacket), my baseball mitt, and a few small wrestling medals.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: April 13, 2015, 02:32:14 PM »
I have a couple of things listed in eBay. I started at a fairly low price and looks like it would sell for that price. However I have this mental block that I should be getting more money for that stuff. I listed at $60 and the electronic item is worth $200. I had earlier listed it at $100 and no one bid.

On one hand I just want it off my house. On the other, I know the actual value is higher and I feel bad for giving away the item. How do I convince myself its OK to let go of the (perceived) value of the item?

My DW has a lot of this "perceived" value going on.  She'll estimate what something is worth based on what she has seen it go for ina shop, but I remind her that she doesn't have a  shop (and doesn't want one!), doesn't have the overhead to pay, etc., but does have to pay for storage (both physical and mental) while it sits there waiting for that market price!  If you factor all that in it can be disappointing, but a dose of reality.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:41:39 PM by Rollin »

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1432 on: April 13, 2015, 09:11:56 PM »
A lot more items out now. Getting more ruthless. More clothes I was attached to but did not enjoy anymore out. Went thru all my artwork & downsized ( took some photos ) . some dishes/kitchen stuff I don't like or use out. I have 4 more library books to read, then I will read what's on my shelves & likely discard more.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1433 on: April 13, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".  I finally cleared out all of the stuff we don't need or want to move and it's taking up half the dining room table.  Trying to sell it, but if no one wants it we'll give it to the charity shop and see if they can find any takers. 
Our kitchen now is not only cleaner, it's downright spacious!  Who knew?

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1434 on: April 13, 2015, 11:51:10 PM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".

I would so read that book!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1435 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:45 AM »

So true.
I like the concept with Freecycle, but I have a problem with people not picking things up as agreed.  I was trying to give away binders and after several people wanted them and then flaked on me, I gave up and took them away to the dump instead.

CommonCents, you had reminded me exactly why I let my group membership lapse... when people are picking things up for free they seem less committed to turning up. I wish the dump had a room you could just leave interesting stuff for others to look through and take for free. Each bay could be dated with a week commencing date when it will just be landfilled if no-one has taken it.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1436 on: April 14, 2015, 01:34:38 AM »
in the UK, charity shops don't sell electricals. I think Freecycle is my next stop.

British Heart Foundation.  They have some shops which are clothes etc. but others which are furniture and electricals.

You may also have a local auction which sells electricals (usually the auctions at the lower end of the market, which also means cheaper - I have a reasonably local one that charges £1 per item plus commission, so I can give something one go pretty cheaply ), although they will need a safety check before hand (the auction may do this for you).

Thank you former player, I will look into BHF and our local auction house.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: April 14, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
If my life was an old-fashioned novel this chapter would be entitled, "In Which They Discover That the Kitchen is Not Too Small".  I finally cleared out all of the stuff we don't need or want to move and it's taking up half the dining room table.  Trying to sell it, but if no one wants it we'll give it to the charity shop and see if they can find any takers. 

I feel this way about my garage, and I've only just begun! :D

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: April 14, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
I'm finding that keeping a space completely clean is critical to clutter busting.  Once it gets that first sheet of paper or other clutter on it, it becomes a clutter magnet.  It's amazing how that works...

So true.

CommonCents, you had reminded me exactly why I let my group membership lapse... when people are picking things up for free they seem less committed to turning up. I wish the dump had a room you could just leave interesting stuff for others to look through and take for free. Each bay could be dated with a week commencing date when it will just be landfilled if no-one has taken it.

We actually have that, but it seems to be just one giant outdoor bay.  So it works great for the plastic toy-pile-of-crap, but things that need to be protected from rain don't do as well.  It also only seems to operate during the summer months and it suffers from the lack of fridge-dating that you mention.  But, better than nothing!  I've avoided looking at it too closely though, for fear the part of my brain that lights up when it sees "free!" will go crazy.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
Out:

3 pair socks I don't like wearing

2 half empty special occasion make up

1 unopened eyeshadow

Edited to add:

Scanned 60 or so photos during down time at work. Came home and sorted more photos. Have an envelope full in my bag waiting for my next opportunity to scan.

Dropped the boxes at goodwill... Ripped it off like a bandaid.  Refused to think about the dress and vest and other things I used to love that no longer fit my lifestyle...  Gone.  I won't miss them.

Sold a set of three shelves I made out of scrap lumber and used in my old house.  They've been in my trunk for 6 months.... Now I have $20.  Will give a couple extra curtain rods to the couple who bought the shelves. Wooh!  Gonna put them in the car right now so that I have them when I see them next.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:57:38 PM by PMG »

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: April 14, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Used up most of the foundation makeup instead of buying new ones. Nowadays, I shop my makeup drawer more than shopping outside.

Resisted buying peanut butter - I wasn't sure we had one at home or not. The old me would've bought it 'just in case'. New me resisted the temptation and came home to find a big bottle of peanut butter sitting around unopened in my pantry

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1441 on: April 14, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Sorted thru my once treasure highheel collection (mostly spike heels). I had 20 pairs. I rarely wear heels anymore, opting for still stylish but more comfortable foot wear. I am keeping 5 pairs that I really love . I was quite attached to this "collection" up until a couple years back, and I did think of it as a collection. Theyre so pretty (most are a little different and interesting) but im over it! Saving some space as well!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #1442 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

I'm looking forward to the chapter in my book titled " In Which The Craft Room Can Be Used Again"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1443 on: April 14, 2015, 06:44:54 PM »

I'm looking forward to the chapter in my book titled " In Which The Craft Room Can Be Used Again"

I quite enjoyed my own 'Hey I Can Actually Enter The Spare Bedroom Without Tripping Over".

Firefly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1444 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
Donated a lot of clothes for the family last year and saved the receipts - we just did our taxes and were able to claim $800 charitable tax deduction. Not bad!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1445 on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:40 AM »
I am wavering on paper, it seems overwhelming to tackle.  I already went through it all and this is the stuff I chose to keep.  Now what to do with it?  Most of it needs scanning.   Scanning cannot be that hard right?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:39 AM »
I am wavering on paper, it seems overwhelming to tackle.  I already went through it all and this is the stuff I chose to keep.  Now what to do with it?  Most of it needs scanning.   Scanning cannot be that hard right?

The scanning can be monotonous. Music or an audio book can help. I feel weight fall off my shoulders everytime I scan.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1447 on: April 15, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
My daughter is looking forward to "In Which The Bedroom Is No Longer A Fiber Storage Room".

I quite enjoyed my own 'Hey I Can Actually Enter The Spare Bedroom Without Tripping Over".

Sarnia Saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1448 on: April 15, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
Sold my PS4 (was being used only as a blu-ray player), two autographed hockey jerseys which had been sitting in a box, several appliances, a large massaging chair, some old unused toys and a mass of baby clothes which we were holding in case someone in our family has a baby(we held onto one large container worth).  All told about 1300$ added to my boys RESP accounts by getting rid of some items which we will not even notice has left the house. 

The purge continues....

(For those in Ontario, make sure you check out the Varage Sale website and app since Craigslist is not as popular north of the border.) 

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1449 on: April 15, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
Sold my PS4 (was being used only as a blu-ray player), two autographed hockey jerseys which had been sitting in a box, several appliances, a large massaging chair, some old unused toys and a mass of baby clothes which we were holding in case someone in our family has a baby(we held onto one large container worth).  All told about 1300$ added to my boys RESP accounts by getting rid of some items which we will not even notice has left the house.

Wow, that's a lot of money and a lot of stuff out of the house! Very inspiring. I still need to sell a few things, some of which are worth quite a bit.