Author Topic: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!  (Read 1850050 times)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Getting rid of stuff / Clearing out clutter!
« Reply #1350 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »

I didn't keep count, but I haven't missed one thing, too. (Not even my car)

Isn't it incredible? I would not have considered myself to have much unused stuff in the house... but I would have thought the house was nice and clean too, and getting to the back of every nook and cranny has shown me that isn't the case either!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: April 01, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
Found this article in an other thread. Pretty much nails it imo.

Another good article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/boomers-unwanted-inheritance/2015/03/27/0e75ff6e-45c4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Stuff it:  Millenials nix their parents' treasures.

Millennials dont' want all the things their Baby Boomer parents want to pass down to them.  There is a lot of stuff now that nobody seems to want.

Yeah, I'll be dealing with this. My mom has a lot of things that were passed on by family, plus whatever else she's accumulated. Some things I want, I'm sure my sister wants some things, but the majority we do not want. Luckily, mom isn't a pack rat and is working on clearing out. I suspect that what will happen eventually is we'll offer things to family/friends, then sell or donate whatever's left.

Though the really hard part will be I know there's a few things that both my sister and I want!

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1352 on: April 01, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
Sold a box of craft supplies for $45. Got rid of a bag of torn, stained clothes. Progress!

Quinn

« Reply #1353 on: April 01, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »

Another good article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/boomers-unwanted-inheritance/2015/03/27/0e75ff6e-45c4-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html

Millennials dont' want all the things their Baby Boomer parents want to pass down to them.  There is a lot of stuff now that nobody seems to want.

Yeah, I'll be dealing with this. My mom has a lot of things that were passed on by family, plus whatever else she's accumulated. Some things I want, I'm sure my sister wants some things, but the majority we do not want. Luckily, mom isn't a pack rat and is working on clearing out. I suspect that what will happen eventually is we'll offer things to family/friends, then sell or donate whatever's left.

Though the really hard part will be I know there's a few things that both my sister and I want!

Great article! This was the mindset I had when I was decluttering. Deal with things now instead of 10/20/30 years later - I never want to be a situation where other people have to clean out massive piles of stuff on my behalf (upon death, etc). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1354 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
@theadvicist, My son needs a wallet! Haha! Am I the only one here who reads other people's lists and thinks, "Oh my gosh, I totally would have taken that!"? (Not sure if I've punctuated that correctly, but you get my drift)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1355 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:20 AM »
@theadvicist, My son needs a wallet! Haha! Am I the only one here who reads other people's lists and thinks, "Oh my gosh, I totally would have taken that!"? (Not sure if I've punctuated that correctly, but you get my drift)

Yep, I do too! Don't worry though, he can go and pick it up at the charity shop now!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »

Yep, I do too! Don't worry though, he can go and pick it up at the charity shop now!

You're right!!!!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1357 on: April 02, 2015, 07:54:24 AM »

Maybe instead of just meet ups, we should have item swap meet ups?

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1358 on: April 02, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »

Maybe instead of just meet ups, we should have item swap meet ups?

But that's my point, we have swap meet ups already - I drop stuff I don't need at a charity shop, you swing by and pick it up for pence on the pound, and charity benefits! It's exactly that, on a wider scale so there is more chance of people finding just what they need. Plus, you know, England is a long way for most of you to come for a used wallet :)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »

Another good article:

Great article! This was the mindset I had when I was decluttering. Deal with things now instead of 10/20/30 years later - I never want to be a situation where other people have to clean out massive piles of stuff on my behalf (upon death, etc).

Can you convince my mom to get rid of the all the "family stuff" that we do not want? I don't care who owned it, I'm not taking it!

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1360 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »
We are going through this now with my mom's estate.  My dad passed nearly 5 years ago, my mom 6 months ago.  She had a home in Wisconsin, I live in arizona and my one sibling is in NC.  40 years of stuff to go thru and we only get home for a few long weekends (4 days at a time) every other month or so?  It's going to take us until eternity. 

Note:  it would go MUCH faster if she hadn't had hidden money in EVERYTHING.  $1 here, $5 there, $100 every now and again.  We have to go thru EVERY.SINGLE.ITEM!  (the treasure hunt is fun but man alive, it's going to take a lifetime....)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1361 on: April 03, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Hot_AZ, if you are doing trips to Wisconsin only for the decluttering, would it make sense to just do it in one shot and be done with it? Are the hidden $1s and $5s worth your multiple plane tickets? (Times two if your sibling is flying in every time too)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1362 on: April 03, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
Sold my first on eBay :) one less item as clutter and more money in my pocket. Now eyeing what else I can put on eBay and get a profit (I have a self imposed limit of $30 when I'm trying to sell on eBay. Otherwise its not worth the hassle.)

herisff

• Stubble
« Reply #1363 on: April 03, 2015, 10:59:13 AM »
@Hot_AZ - when my mother moved to assisted living, my sister and I spent about 8-10 days (using vacation time) going through the entire house, sorting as we went. I drove in from Washington state and she came from Hawaii, and we dug in. It turned out that I did most of the house while she spent the entire week in the office! While it was exhausting but oddly companionable (there was a lot of "look at this!" and "why did s/he save this??!!", it all got done. At the end we scheduled a charity to come and pick up what family members didn't want. I had time to check pockets, ventilators (my dad was prone to putting jars of coins in them), and everywhere my mom or dad could stash cash. Would something like that work for you two? After my mom was in assisted living for awhile, we went ahead and sold the house (and put the costs towards her care). That way none of us had to deal with an empty house and possible vandalism, squatters, etc.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1364 on: April 03, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
I should clarify, those $1 here and $1 there have added up to over 100k so far.  We don't feel comfortable having someone else come in and assist.  I only accrue 1 day of vacation a month and my brother and I both have families with children.  His wife is in the military, mine works a job that has hours some days starting at 5am, some days he ends at 8:30pm (depends on the day).  He can't really facilitate the daycare/school thing for very long without assistance.  Neither my brother or I have family in our respective states.

So for now, we're doing what we can on those 4 day weekends.  The first 2 trips home were for funerals (my mom's and then my godmothers) so part of the time home was spent for those services.  We will do a longer trip (hopefully) at the end of this summer/fall to finish out the estate. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: April 03, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Hot AZ, that's a lot of cash. I can see why you don't want strangers coming in to help. Don't know if its practical, but would it make sense to rent a trunk and load everything in? You could then drive home, and go through things there.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1366 on: April 03, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
@sibley, not sure that works.  We would have to split the stuff and get 2 trucks (one to AZ and one to NC).  My life is a mess right now, we're trying to finish this AND sell our house/move to Wyoming before school starts at the end of August.  I think I need to start thinking about quitting/taking a leave of absence to get it all done.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: April 03, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
That's a lot on your plate. Good luck!

Note to self - don't stash cash all over the house.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1368 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
@sibley... my mom warned us for years.  She thought it was hilarious!  Not so funny for us now but it does give my brother and i bonding time when we're at her house since we both go sans families.  Loads to do but "i have a spreadsheet for that" (ugh, seriously Type A over here).

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1369 on: April 04, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
Ok, how do I get over the fact that everytime I want to get rid of something, I think about "How could I sell this?".  I make a good income.  If I sold all this shit for top dollar (unlikely), it would be what, $500?  That is only less than 1/2 day of work.  It will take me far longer than that to sell it.  My time is in shortest supply, more than money.
Should I just donate it all and be free and happy?  Or try to wring some money out of these things that are owning me?  Is it ok to just let it go?
I know, I have problems...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: April 04, 2015, 03:43:18 PM »

Should I just donate it all and be free and happy?  Or try to wring some money out of these things that are owning me?  Is it ok to just let it go?
I know, I have problems...

I have these very same problems. I have a box of about 8 really nice formal dresses from my past = expensive and would love to sell them. The local consignment store that takes higher end stuff wouldn't take them :-( I have never tried ebay, but I'm sure I could get around $400 for the whole lot.

I feel like I'm totally owned by these items ... I want them to GO! But it would feel so weird to give them away when I know what I paid for them! UGH!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1371 on: April 04, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
 I have to confess I am not good at selling and will endlessly avoid and procrastinate, so the objective to clear stuff out is at risk of never being achieved. So I donate. 

Last night I cleared out 4 extra backpacks ( all freebies) and a white-tailed spider lurking in there. Why did I think I needed 5 backpacks?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1372 on: April 04, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
Put everything you'd like to get rid of together. Give yourself a set time frame - a month or whatever in which to sell items. At the end of that time, anything you haven't sold (including stuff you haven't figured out how to sell) just donate.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1373 on: April 04, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »
I cracked it open!  I used the techniques I gleaned from the Japanese Art of Tidying Up ( haven't read the book yet but did watch the movies and read the reviews ( I am 240 on the library wait list, maybe I should use my gift card to buy it). I listened for what made my heart sing and thanked the things that were moving on. It made it much easier to let them go. So 1 drawer down and a a closet and 3 more drawers to go. But it is a start. Once it got going , it got easier. Yeah!  I cleaned out my shirt drawer. I was able to let go of things that used to be me but are now too young, don't fit well, had worn out, or just didn't make me happy. I put some in the basket to make a T-shirt quilt, some in the refashion pile, and some in the giveaway/yard sale box. I'm still not sure if I'm having a yard sale, but either way, those things are not moving with me. I feel so much freer and more movement. 

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1374 on: April 04, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »
That's good to hear!  So did you do as she suggests, and put out ALL your clothes (on the floor or on the bed) to go through them all at once?  I haven't taken that big step yet, but I am close to doing it!

Everything hanging in my closet, I shoved way to one side. Then I took each item off the bar, considered it, and either hung it back up in the empty part of the closet or said goodbye and put it in the bin.

Folded items, I took down and put on the bed, then made me decisions and chose what I wanted to keep and recorded each item. Some of the, went in tht bin, others went back on the shelf ...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1375 on: April 05, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
Using the test of whether a thing "sparks joy" seems really effective for clothes.  I asked myself this question while reorganizing and hanging clothes last night, and let go of a couple tops that I thought I liked, but never wear because they never feel quite right when I put them on.  OTOH, it's surprising that some simple pieces like a gray v-neck t that fits me perfectly does spark joy, and obviously gets to stay.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:51:12 AM by horsepoor »

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1376 on: April 05, 2015, 08:32:09 AM »
That's good to hear!  So did you do as she suggests, and put out ALL your clothes (on the floor or on the bed) to go through them all at once?  I haven't taken that big step yet, but I am close to doing it!

I just took everything out of one drawer and didn't let myself stop until I had gone through each item.  Many were maybes, so I tried them all on.  I realized that some shirts I was keeping because they 'fit' but they were mostly from a spending spree 3 years ago (at the beginning of my pregnancy) and they all had the elastic band at the bottom that was the style at the time.  Which BTW is the worst possible style for a pear shaped gal like myself.  But to really acknowledge the usefulness I had gained and respectfully thank the item before letting it go, really helped me let go of many more things.  I'm going to try and keep going today, but it is Easter too.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1377 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »

Everything hanging in my closet, I shoved way to one side. Then I took each item off the bar, considered it, and either hung it back up in the empty part of the closet or said goodbye and put it in the bin.

Folded items, I took down and put on the bed, then made me decisions and chose what I wanted to keep and recorded each item. Some of the, went in tht bin, others went back on the shelf ...

That's great, Miss Madge! Yesterday I decided to go for it, and started with tank/sleeveless tops. Placing them all on the bed, there were over 50! It got easier as I went along. Like Handsnhearts did, I held up the item or tried it on to decide if it sparked joy, then thanked the discards for their years of service. I would never have thought to do that and it was like free therapy! Marie Kondo points out that some items had served their purpose just by giving you excitement when you first saw them at the store, or by showing you what styles work and don't work for you. This was incredibly liberating for me. I did the KonMari fold on my tops and am enjoying the "crayons in a box" feeling of the drawers!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:46:16 PM by Practical Magic »

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1378 on: April 05, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »
OTOH, it's surprising that some simple pieces like a gray v-neck t that fits me perfectly does spark joy, and obviously gets to stay.

That's so true! It helps you let go of the things you think you're supposed to treasure and keep what you actually do.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:47:38 PM by Practical Magic »

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1379 on: April 05, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »

That's great, Miss Madge! Yesterday I decided to go for it, and started with tank/sleeveless tops. Placing them all on the bed, there were over 50! It got easier as I went along. Like Handsnhearts did, I held up the item or tried it on to decide if it sparked joy, then thanked the discards for their years of service. I would never have thought to do that and it was like free therapy! Marie Kondo points out that some items had served their purpose just by giving you excitement when you first saw them at the store, or by showing you what styles work and don't work for you. This was incredibly liberating for me. I did the KonMari fold on my tops and am enjoying the "crayons in a box" feeling of the drawers!

Practical Magic That drawer is beautiful!  Does KonMari call it 'crayons in a box' or is that yours?  It is both beautiful and exciting like opening a fresh box of unused, brand-new crayons.  Oh the possibilities!

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1380 on: April 05, 2015, 01:51:12 PM »

Practical Magic That drawer is beautiful!  Does KonMari call it 'crayons in a box' or is that yours?  It is both beautiful and exciting like opening a fresh box of unused, brand-new crayons.  Oh the possibilities!

Thanks! I don't know if she calls it that, but that's the feeling I get every time I open a drawer. I'm going to try folding pants in a similar way and position them on a shelf, like this woman did. (Her cat was apparently helping). ;-)

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1381 on: April 05, 2015, 02:01:34 PM »
Found this on a site called Karenkaminski. This is her final closet pic. I wouldn't have thought to organize pants that way (folded, sideways on a shelf), but it seems to work.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1382 on: April 05, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »
She has such beautiful clothes.  I want my closet to look like that.  That feels like me.  Not this drab, neutral boringness that my wardrobe has morphed into somehow.  I just realized that I have gone from bright clothes and neutral classic shoes (what she has) to boring clothes and bright shoes, which are unsustainable and need to be replaced often.  And I like quality shoes best, that last.  Great picture and great direction for me to head!

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #1383 on: April 05, 2015, 02:29:49 PM »
I'm a bit sad. I've been clearing out my parents' attic and found a lot of my old toys. Most of them aren't worth keeping or donating, and some are borderline. (As in, could be donated or maybe sold, but really likely not due to too much wear and tear.) But I'm just kind of sad to dump them in the trash. I mean, I'm 43 w/no kids, so it's not like I'm going to be playing with them, but it's still sad saying goodbye to things that were good friends when I was a kid (only child, so toys were kind of friends at times). I know I have no room or need for them, but it's just a tearjerker. I'm reminded again that growing up kind of sucks.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1384 on: April 05, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »
I'm a bit sad. I've been clearing out my parents' attic and found a lot of my old toys. Most of them aren't worth keeping or donating, and some are borderline. (As in, could be donated or maybe sold, but really likely not due to too much wear and tear.) But I'm just kind of sad to dump them in the trash. I mean, I'm 43 w/no kids, so it's not like I'm going to be playing with them, but it's still sad saying goodbye to things that were good friends when I was a kid (only child, so toys were kind of friends at times). I know I have no room or need for them, but it's just a tearjerker. I'm reminded again that growing up kind of sucks.

Do you have any friends with kids that might appreciate vintage toys?  I know I sure would, especially if they came from a friend. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1385 on: April 05, 2015, 03:52:52 PM »
I just finished off a box of crackers...

It's been a very productive day.  Sorted, consolidated and gave away fabric.  Went from four boxes to 2.  Pulled out a few projects to finish and arranged things I know I need soon for easy access.

Filled a box for goodwill with a few articles of clothing and a few of my great grandmothers dishes.  I can't keep them all.  I have as many in circulation as I can and just a handful packed away. 

Gathered things to send to family with my brother when he visits next week.  A hammock I don't have a place to hang anymore.  Some recycling that isn't accepted here, but is there.  Sewing supplies and notions for my mom.

Salvaged several grocery bags and papertowels that had been used to pack things in.  I am always running out of trash bags! Now I've got enough for a month or two.  I used the already crummy looking paper towels to clean. 

Last week I emptied and gave away two photo albums.  I got three more out of my tub of journals and albums under the bed. Now that bin is only half full.  I don't think I'll actually go through them today, but I have them accessible, so that I can when I'm ready.

I'm parting with a few more photo frames.  I had a gallery wall at my old house, but decided not to put holes in this rental's walls.  It's taken me time to let go of all of those frames.   A friend just got her first place, so she's getting a lot of odds and ends from me, including picture frames,  an extra flashlight,  bath towel, paint, vases...

I've used up enough things out of the laundry room cupboard that I can put the soap and softener in the cupboard and have the counter clear!  I can't even remember what used to be in that cupboard space. 

The shelf above my hanging rod used to be full to the ceiling of tetris stacked boxes.  Now it has one (large) box of notions and my cooler and a cute basket of scarves.  Beneath the hanging clothes used to be tetris stacked as well, but now just hosts my shoes, my out of season fan and buckets of paint my landlord hasn't picked up yet.

That is evidence of a lot completing a lot of projects and just letting go of excess.  Whew.  I feel so close to where I want to be.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:55:54 PM by PMG »

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
« Reply #1386 on: April 05, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

Do you have any friends with kids that might appreciate vintage toys?  I know I sure would, especially if they came from a friend.

I do have a friend who has young grandkids, but these things need a lot of work, and some things will never be right. Decals have fallen off and been torn and pieces are missing, so even if you glued them back on, they'd never be whole. They need a lot of cleaning and other cosmetic repair. That's why I say some are borderline. Technically, they still work and can be played with, but they're never going to be "right." I don't know if people want that.

Practical Magic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1387 on: April 05, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »
DragonSlayer, when I dug out all my old toys from my mom's attic, I felt like I wasn't quite done with them either. I put several of the smaller ones on display in my built-in china cabinet and enjoyed them that way for a few years. Eventually I re-stored them and finally when I felt I'd experienced them as fully as I needed to, I sold them. I took photos also, so that if I want to remember one I can just pull up the pic. Btw, I was an only child too, and I understand about the toys being your friends.

MATSG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1388 on: April 06, 2015, 11:25:27 AM »
Seems like everyone is in that spring cleaning phase! Awesome to hear.  I have been taking stock of what I have, which is also not too much considering I live in a small carriage house I share with a roommate, but it is still too much.  I've had success listing some dresses on eBay, got a whole box of items to add to my sister's yard sale in a few weeks and am plotting a day or two to really go through all of the drawers where I just stuff the junk I don't want to deal with everyday.

A good book to put someone in the mind frame of decluttering is "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing."  Honestly, I found it a little cheesy at times, but the overall idea was really interesting, and if you're like me, even if you have not too much stuff, the act of going through it all can be daunting.  This book made it seem simple.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1389 on: April 06, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
Just got back from vacation.  A strap on a pair of heels broke, so (after duct taping it initially so I could wear it that evening), I left them behind.  My example inspired my husband to do the same with some clothing, which was great.  Unfortunately, while gone I got a message about donating to Belle of the Ball (gently used formal dresses for prom) too late to give up two dresses I've been meaning to donate to a similar program, but I might still try dropping them off tomorrow night.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
I have a couple of things listed in eBay. I started at a fairly low price and looks like it would sell for that price. However I have this mental block that I should be getting more money for that stuff. I listed at $60 and the electronic item is worth $200. I had earlier listed it at $100 and no one bid.

On one hand I just want it off my house. On the other, I know the actual value is higher and I feel bad for giving away the item. How do I convince myself its OK to let go of the (perceived) value of the item?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1391 on: April 06, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
We got rid of our space heater and standing fan that have been sitting in the closet for years. It was great reclaiming that closet space and moving a bunch of other things into that closet half - the rest of the apartment is much clearer now.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1392 on: April 06, 2015, 04:42:16 PM »
Well, I found out I'll need to move in 30 days so taking the opportunity to get rid of more stuff. A bookcase, shelf, some clothes in styles I no longer wear, random things like manicuring stuff and moisturizer samples so far..,...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1393 on: April 06, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »
I have a couple of things listed in eBay. I started at a fairly low price and looks like it would sell for that price. However I have this mental block that I should be getting more money for that stuff. I listed at $60 and the electronic item is worth $200. I had earlier listed it at $100 and no one bid.

On one hand I just want it off my house. On the other, I know the actual value is higher and I feel bad for giving away the item. How do I convince myself its OK to let go of the (perceived) value of the item?
Stuff is worth what someone will pay.  Your marketing approach can influence that price, but you have to know the market ( best venue for selling, righ time of year, right key words, photos, etc.).  Some items I just list as Buy it Now on eBay and bide my time until someone buys.  Other items are always in demand and those work better for an auction format sale.

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #1394 on: April 06, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
Ok, this is a double post, but I don't care!  I'm enjoying this immensely more than I thought and more than any of these objects would have brought me!

Returned 4 things to Costco.
$84.35 for 15 minutes of my time!

Good reminder too, you can return anything you have ever bought at Costco for any reason, except electronics which are 90 days.

A pair of pants and a pair of shorts that I was never going to wear because they made me feel too frumpy, and a World Cup soccer jersey my husband never wore, and the wrong kind of replacement heads for our toothbrushes. I will probably have to rebuy the toothbrush heads later, but I can do it after I move and that's one less thing to move. Yay!

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: April 07, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »

Stuff is worth what someone will pay.  Your marketing approach can influence that price, but you have to know the market ( best venue for selling, righ time of year, right key words, photos, etc.).  Some items I just list as Buy it Now on eBay and bide my time until someone buys.  Other items are always in demand and those work better for an auction format sale.

I agree with this - it's only worth what someone will pay. And I remind myself that yes, it was worth $100 to me, when I bought it, but the second I left the shop with it, the value likely halved. It helps to stop me from buying things new. I now let other people get the buyer's remorse and take the hit when they realise they don't want it, but it was worth half what it was. A hard lesson, but once learnt, you can use it to your advantage.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1396 on: April 07, 2015, 08:26:41 AM »
I started the 'minimalist game' of getting rid of 1 thing on April 1 ... 5 things on April 5, etc.  Doing good so far - haven't done anything today for day 7 but have some things in mind for when I get home.  I'm sort of out of nice things to sell but I'm trying eBay for one more thing that didn't sell at the consignment shop.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1397 on: April 07, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
Made a little over $15 yesterday by selling some baby items.  It wasn't even all that much, so I'm rather pleased by the profit.
What the store wouldn't take I'll give to a friend, who works for a counseling and adoption agency.  They've got five clients (so far) who are going to have babies this summer and who will need these clothes very much.
Have a box parked in the living room in which I can deposit things as I find them and think, "WTH is this, where did it come from, and why do we still have it?"  It's getting pretty full, which is both sad and motivating.  Some items I've been hanging onto out of guilt (like the picture frame someone gave us for our wedding which is...not our style) and this thread is helping me to not feel guilty about passing it along.
Need to work on packing up my books so that I can sell the bookshelf we won't be moving.  Also need to list some modular shelving which we don't want anymore and still need to box up the "kitchen starter box" stuff.

kmt88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1398 on: April 08, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
I just want to thank everyone that suggested "the life changing magic of tidying up."  I spent last Friday going through my drawers and I finally felt permission to chuck things out of my life ruthlessly.  The "does this spark joy" and "thank you for serving" routine really helped!  And I'm in love with the way my drawers looks with my clothing folded in the KonMari method.  I've already spread the word to several folks.  Y'all are the best.  I can't wait to finally achieve my minimalist dreams!

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #1399 on: April 08, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
I am enjoying the shifting of objects..sort of musical chairs. 

I saw a friend wearing my old jeans  plus my old scarf last week and she rocked them!  I am enjoying a donation of food from someone who was going away (in fact they supplied us with drinks to take to two parties) and I have been wearing some of my DH's winter clothes lately to keep warm.  I got half-used cleaning supplies from another friend and am donating a bag of winter clothes to the thrift shop today.  Perhaps I will see someone wearing one of my dresses soon?

I got some compost from the community compost heap..who knows whose leftovers have fuelled my garden?  it seems as though I am looking at a chess board and the pieces are all moving from side to side being used over and over again.

Meanwhile I am forcing myself to rein in the desire to fire out all my winter clothes because face it, I am going to need them for a little longer.  I was fingering a long sleeved top today ready to snatch it from its hanger and shove into the thrift store bag when the voice of reason said "Kiddo, it will be a long cold spring if you own nothing at all with sleeves by tomorrow".  True.